PDA

View Full Version : Would like to know more about your children and tell you about mine...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bushong6
Fri, Dec-21-01, 14:24
Hello! I am new to this forum, having posted my introduction earlier today. :) I am so happy to have found you all! One of the things I am glad to see is this board for LC Parents. My husband and I will be starting Atkins in a couple of weeks, but my daughters will also be starting with us. I will not expect them to adhere to the WOE strictly or exactly like their daddy and I do it, but there will be only "Atkin's acceptable" foods in the house (besides milk since the 2 year old needs it and the 12 year old would have a fit if he didn't have it! ;) ). The girls are both overweight. Meagan is 5' 6 1/2" and weighs 230 lbs. Caitlin is chunky, but I'm not sure about her height/weight. They both have to wear plus-size clothing. I think it will be good for them to have this WOE if it helps them to lose the weight as long as it does not comprimise their health. Anyone that is dealing with the same or similar situations, would you please tell me how you are handling this? Are there any concerns or things I should be aware of? Thanks so much!

Elihnig
Sat, Dec-22-01, 06:08
Well, since I'm the only one low-carbing in my house, it's a little different. My husband could probably lose a few pounds but it's not really a problem for him, he's been skinny man all his life and claims that he should put on a few (10 maybe) as he reaches middle age (he thinks 33 is middle age). My daugher is not overweight but eats way too much sugar. My husband is well trained now to make a big meat thing for supper when I'm not cooking. When I cook I usually just make meat for everybody and a green thing, veggie or salad. If my husband or daughter want something else, they get it themselves. Lazyness usually prevails and they have a low carb supper.

Elihnig

Lessara
Sun, Dec-23-01, 09:24
We are all LCing in my house... I should say apartment ;)
The kids eat what they want at lunch at school and for lunches at home they can have a carb serving. But Breakfast and Dinner and snacks are LC. My son, Chris (11), doesn't like it but he likes eggs so he might be won over. My daughter, Jenna (14) loves the diet and has only problems of candy to deal with. Both are calmer on LCing. I do offer rolls as a carb choice once in a while if money is tight and protein is in short supply.

sunshine2
Fri, Dec-28-01, 12:33
Hi there. We do about the same, my children have what they want at school for breakfast and lunch, but for dinner its low carb all the way. My daughter is very small for her age, only weighs about 48 pounds and is 9, my son is about 85 pounds and is 11, they both take after their father and have no weight problem (for now that is). Since I don't buy the sweet stuff any longer, they go without. I made the sour cream banana bread and they both loved it and thought I had went off me diet LOL. Little did they know it was low carb.

I'm trying to teach them about the affects of sugar, and since I have cut them way back on sugar, my daughter (who has been diagnosed with ADD) is doing wonders in school this year, the teachers have asked me if I put her on ritilin (no), I just changed her diet.

My husband has never had a weight problem but has been on very high dosage of blood pressure medicine. After reading an article in this forum about the effects of carbs and your blood pressure, my husband has tried to stick to low carb with me. He went in for a check up on his medication, and the doctor found that he now can go to a smaller dosage of medication. We are hoping eventually he can come off the medication completely.

Low carb, whether your over weight or not has proved to be a blessing for my family.

tealou
Fri, Jul-05-02, 07:55
I am also new to this board as of today, and just reading a few of the boards.

My husband is not on LC. He tried it and it really didn't agree with him. He felt sick and dizzy - and - being a Capricorn he decided to be obstinate and say it was the diet's fault *grin*

Ah well....

My daughter is way too young to go strict low carb - she is 10 months old next week. She was bottle fed from about a week old when I got an infection and was hospitalised, and she generally eats whatever I am having. Eggs are safe for her so far and I usualyl make either scrambled eggs with bacon and mushroom or anomeltte or something - and she loves that. I also give her a low carb dinner - my husband is stuck with it too! hehehee, but I don't mind. I tell him that if he wants carbs, he can either have bread or cook it himself... LOL

I would like to think that Mina and Jason will eventually join me on this WOL, but given that I have only been doing it a week, perhaps I should just ease them into it huh :)

Mina also eats a lot of sandwiches, because I have been busy with exams ;) But a growing baby needs it - and she is underweight (3%ile) and they want me to "fatten her up" at least a little.

Anyway, thats just a little about me.

HappyMomma
Sat, Jul-06-02, 23:35
Hi,

I am a newbie also - just found this site today. :)

I usually hang out on The Labor of Love message boards - but their dieting board is so random (everyone doing something different,) that I thought this site would be more helpful with my dieting goals.

I don't have any great advice about LCing, since I just started, but I wish you and your girls all the best!

My husband is a very thin man - having only a bit-O-belly now that we are in our 30s. My son is 15 months old and he is pretty thin. He is tall (90th percentile) and weighs in at about 24 lbs (50th percentile.) However, since I've switched to no sugar and no dairy (both my son & I are dairy/casein intolerant,) my son is drinking soy milk and eating most of the same foods I consume. As he is doing great with his weight, and seems to have inherited (at least for now,) his father's high energy, high fat burning system I don't worry about how much carbs he is consuming, I just make sure he eats protein with each meal/snack.

I wish you all the best. Take care,