PDA

View Full Version : Stalled but not Discouraged!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dragracer
Mon, Dec-17-01, 11:00
Hi Everyone!

Well, I'm on week 3 and have only lost 7 lbs so far. I would have thought I would have dropped at least 10 but I am willing to continue for as long as it takes.

I did want to throw out my menu every day. I eat pretty much the same thing every day. I have noticed that a lot of people cut out the cheese. That's my new change for this week. No more cheese.

Breakfast:

1lb of Roast Beef
or
3 egg Ham and American Cheese Omelet with 4 bacon strips

Lunch:

8 eggs scrambled
1lb of Bacon

Dinner:

3 large cheesburger's
Small salad with Olive Oil dressing

Late night snack:

More Bacon or scrambled eggs.

AND LOT'S OF WATER: Typically 128oz. per day.

FITDAY says:

Calories 3280
Fat (237g) 66%
Carbs (15g) 2%
Protein (256g) 32%

Anything anyone could add that might help me???

Thanks
Brian

P.S. - Going to Las Vegas and Aruba for 2 weeks in May and I can't wait to look lean and mean!!!!

gwilson38
Mon, Dec-17-01, 12:36
Aruba>>> Oh how nice...I would love to hit a sunny beach somewhere...LOL Im sure U will look great and have a wonderful time. The 1st think I noticed is that U arent eating enough veggies. Sometimes too few carbs can cause a stall. Cheese may be a problem so cutting way down on it for awhile is a good thing.And bacon.....well it is salty may be a problem and it can often contain sugar and be full of chemicals...read the labels. What about water? If U are already drinking lots just increase it a bit for a few days. What kind of supplements are U on? well hope this helps.

alto
Mon, Dec-17-01, 12:39
7 pounds in two weeks is great! That's not a stall. A stall is going for several weeks with no loss of pounds, or change in measurements :)

I wondered about the water, too. You MUST drink at least 64 ounces a day, and the more you drink, the more you'll lose. (Water, not coffee, diet soda, or anything else; just water :) )

Good luck! You really are doing well. You can vary what you're eating -- that's a lot of eggs! And you might want to try a big salad, not a small one. :)

dragracer
Mon, Dec-17-01, 13:10
I think I put in my original thread that I drink 128 oz a day. Should it be more than that?? Damn!! If it is I'm going to have to attach a hose to myself and run it into the bathroom. hahahaha

Thanks for the replies everybody.

Brian

alto
Mon, Dec-17-01, 14:03
You sure did, Brian, and I missed it. Sorry :) Im sure Natrushka, or LC Sponge, or one of the others much more experienced will give you a better answer. (I read too quickly. It looks, to the unpracticed eye, as though you're right on track, but there may very well be something else going on, and others will be able to help.) 7 pounds is great, though. We all want to lose 5 pounds a day -- ooops, week! -- but, alas.....

gwilson38
Mon, Dec-17-01, 15:21
LOL sorry I missed the water intake too. I usually get 128 oz too and I tend to float away....what about exercise?

wangeci
Mon, Dec-17-01, 16:07
Brian,
You truly may have some more water weight that may come off. Your salt intake with all that bacon, may be the key to the 7 lbs and not 17. 7 lbs is a very good and healthy loss though. But, you could be retaining water from the sodium in the bacon. Keep up the good work. I have been in a slump for about 5 weeks and trying to work out of it. Keep up the good "losing", it's fun isn't it?
Cindy

patience
Fri, Jan-04-02, 03:15
Brian, I have encountered the same problems sometimes and found that not enough or very little carbs makes a very big difference in how much you lose. Keep up the good work and have fun. :wave:

dragracer
Fri, Jan-04-02, 07:10
Hi Patience!

Do you mean that if you have too few Carbs that will make you Plateau??? I have been on induction for 5 weeks now and only lost about 15lbs. I have dropped a full size in my pants (YEHA) and I know I have lost more fat but have also gained quite a bit of muscle. 3/4" gain in just my arms!

Thanks!!!

agonycat
Fri, Jan-04-02, 07:41
Hey Brian!

According to your sample menu you are consuming around 3280 calories. According to your weight you should drop that down between 2560 to 3072. That is 10 to 12 times your body weight in calories which is recommended.

Also all that bacon....nitrate city there. You may want to cut down on eating so much. Salt will make you retain water.

Add more veggies in that diet! :)

Just for the record...a stall is 6 weeks or more of not losing any weight at all.

Have fun in Aruba!

EllieEats
Fri, Jan-04-02, 14:48
Hi Brian....
I'm thinking the same thing---- the bacon (the salt in it) can be a problem.
Someone suggested to me to boil some of the salt out first--- then fry or "nuke" it!!
I think the more salt you have, you have to add MORE water too!!!
Also, When I had my carbs too low, I wasn't getting anywhere.
Someone suggested I up them--- I added 1- 1 1/2 cups of cauflower/brocolli and dropped 4 more pounds right away!!
So... less is not always better!!! ;)

Ellie :wave:

patience
Sun, Jan-06-02, 00:09
Finally, somebuddies to talk to, while I am on this diet. Thank you ! I hope this time I can get pass the 25lb loss mark. I know for me it is an emotional eater issue, besides my 8 year old son just passing away in October. I kinda of lossed it, while taking care of him and I was doing so well. How does one get pass that without having to get proffessional help?

It is really a bummer that guys lose it faster. :roll:

Cath :wave:

dragracer
Mon, Jan-07-02, 07:44
Hi Patience!

Sorry to hear about your son. That has definitely got to be very hard. Don't know if I could go through it.

I am basically still on induction. I think that's why I am losing still. I find that the induction menu isn't that bad. I have trimmed down my cheese and salt intake from the first menu I posted here. It really seems to help. Jimmy Dean Pork sausage is the best!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anybody know what the recommended time frame is for the induction phase??

Don't worry about the 25lb obstacle! We are here to help you climb right over it!! hehehe

Brian

agonycat
Mon, Jan-07-02, 08:26
Brian there really isn't any limit for induction. Dr Atkin's says two weeks then start adding carbs back in. But I stayed at induction level for 2 months and lost 35 pounds. Would the result been the same had I added more carbs? Not sure.

By limiting your carb count to induction levels of 20 you are limiting what you can eat and the menu looks pretty bleak. You may want to mix it up a bit perhaps. Like do two weeks at induction level then add maybe 5 or 10 carbs to that over two weeks then go back to induction levels if you find yourself stalling out.

Just remember 20 carbs isn't very much and you may defeat yourself by having a boring menu. This is after all a plan for life. Not a quick fix.

snkhoward
Tue, Jan-08-02, 19:29
I have been eating at 20 carbs. per day for the whole 5 months I have been doing atkins. I don't find it limiting at all. If I added more, I don't know what I would do with them, but eat things I shouldn't anyway like bread or rice, so I just stay with 20/ day. But then again, I have been stalled for a month too, so maybe that is my problem too.

biker mike
Sat, Feb-09-13, 12:29
no not right, akins says stay on induction till within 30 lbs of your goal,(as per website, when to move on from induction phase 1) then switch to phase 2, its not in weeks, or months, skip the cheese, too easy to over eat, no processed meat, has sugar, but for some reason says low in carbs, whipped cream has sugar, same label says <1 carb, read the labels, everything that says less than 1 carb, treat as 1 carb
I was stalled, cut coffee to 2 cups, cut peanuts,cut whipped cream,cut sugar free jello down to half of what I had, measure all veggies, used the Ketosis sticks, and had found I was not, now I am , and starting to loose again, if stalled, take inventory of what your eating, recheck labels, write it down,

madeyna
Sat, Feb-09-13, 13:39
Pick your poisen ;)Atkins book says stay on induction two weeks then start to add carbs 5 per week ontil you stop losing then back down 5 to 10 carbs.

biker mike
Fri, Feb-15-13, 18:02
the ham can be a problem, I havent found any ham that doesnt have sugar added, even though it say 1 carb (per slice), read the labels for any form of sugar

biker mike
Fri, Feb-15-13, 18:09
Pick your poisen ;)Atkins book says stay on induction two weeks then start to add carbs 5 per week ontil you stop losing then back down 5 to 10 carbs.
I've seen a few people say this, but here is directly copied from the akins website phase 1 when to move on.......
Move to OWL if . . .

You’re already within 15 pounds of your goal weight. It’s important for you to move on to learn a new, permanent way of eating.
You’re bored with your current food choices.
You’ve been in Induction for several months and are more than halfway to your goal.

You may choose to stay in Induction if . . .

You still have more than 30 pounds to lose.

You should stay in Induction for now if . . .

You still have a large amount of weight to lose.
You’re still struggling with carb cravings.
You’ve not been fully compliant with Induction.
You still have elevated blood sugar or blood pressure levels.
Your weight loss is slow and you aren’t physically active.

madeyna
Fri, Feb-15-13, 19:17
It doesn,t say you have to stay on induction to thirty pounds of your goal weight it says stay on induction if then follows threw with the reasons why you might want too.

biker mike
Sat, Feb-16-13, 07:48
wow, thats a lot,, the roast beef and ham, if it is deli, loose it, it has sugar, and your portions are a little large, try 2 eggs in one sitting, and 3 cheese burgers? no bun right? how about maybe just 2? need to practice portion control measure evry thing, log in a note book how many carbs a day, if it says <1 carb, treat it as one carb, like the 3 slices of cheese on the burgers, you have 3 carbs right there, the ham and roast beef, if deli or packaged has sugar, and 1 carb per ounce or slice I see no veggies, try some collard greens, turnips and greens, cauliflower but read labels and measure and weigh every thing, and keep a log, you are eating more carbs than you think

LilyB
Sat, Feb-16-13, 08:38
Can you find uncured pork belly? I have an Asian store that sells it. One of our Fab, Fit Goddess Posters does some pretty amazing things with pork belly. You should see the food p0rn that Pilot Gal posts. ;)

One thing I did just starting out was to drop from dinner plates to salad plates to eat on. I can "fill my plate" with a lot less filling. I know it's psychological, but if it works for you... also, I make my dinners aesthetically pleasing to MY eye.

Welcome aboard.
And Patience, welcome to you, too.
I can't imagine your pain.