PDA

View Full Version : Do you know what bugs me????

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rpavich
Fri, Dec-02-05, 14:11
It bugs me when my co-workers who still have crumbs of a snickers in their lap and are now eating a bag of "salt-and-vinegar" chips with a coke say to me "Isn't that Atkins diet harmful to your health"?

And when you tell them to check the latest studies that show that low carbing is heathy, they say..."I don't know...it doesn't seem healthy to be eating all that fat"...while they now munch on a package of little debbies snack cakes...

arrggggggg

bob

lizzyLC
Fri, Dec-02-05, 14:41
That's funny - you're so right.

ojoj
Fri, Dec-02-05, 14:55
That always makes me mad too - They eat all that hidden fat, sugar and cr*p and have the neck to start on me cos I'm eating a bag of HIGH FAT peanuts!!!

Jo

Nancy LC
Fri, Dec-02-05, 17:13
Are you kidding, I'd be howling with laughter and waving the wrappers from their snacks in their face. This is an opportunity for high comedy!

CindySue48
Fri, Dec-02-05, 17:14
LOL I'd be with Nancy! Laughing and telling them they were all nuts! LOL

bladegem
Fri, Dec-02-05, 17:46
The lady on the computer next to me at work is doing low-fat. She doesn't last for more than 3 days with her Healthy Choice frozen lunches...after that, she's chowing down on Symphony bars and Ben & Jerry's. Then she'll rebound back onto low-fat for another 3 days...yet she looks at me funny when I eat my chicken for lunch.

potatofree
Fri, Dec-02-05, 19:46
That's when you sit down, try and keep a straight face, and ask them to tell you about the benefits of the Snickers, Chips, and Little Debbie's Plan.

ProfGumby
Fri, Dec-02-05, 19:52
That always makes me mad too - They eat all that hidden fat, sugar and cr*p and have the neck to start on me cos I'm eating a bag of HIGH FAT peanuts!!!

Jo

Hidden? Since when?? ;) :wave: ;)

Look at it this way, you know what is best for you, you know how well you are doing, they do not.

You are stepping out of the sheep pen of mediocrity and striving for change, this makes the sheep nervous, and they try to discredit you to boost their ego, and self reassure themselves that they are doing alright.

The best thing to do is to politely thank them for their concern, tell them you will run the advice past your doctor and support group and either excuse yourself from the conversation or change the subject.

As hard as it is to do, this is what seems to work the best for me because I know hitting them in the face with a shovel will probably starin the relationship......
:lol:

Usul001
Fri, Dec-02-05, 19:54
He who laughs last, laughs longest.

Seemed the most apt quote for this situation.

zorra_1
Fri, Dec-02-05, 19:58
I don't ever understand why anyone questions me about what I eat??!! I can't imagine myself just walking up to someone and telling them what's bad about what they're eating...even if they were different from mine. I also get ticked with those people who make "that face" (wrinkled nose) at my food. Next time I'll be sure to make awful gagging noises when they pull out their chips and Coke!

Dodger
Fri, Dec-02-05, 20:31
...yet she looks at me funny when I eat my chicken for lunch.If you plucked the chicken feathers first, you wouldn't get those funny looks!

Lisa N
Fri, Dec-02-05, 20:35
That's when you sit down, try and keep a straight face, and ask them to tell you about the benefits of the Snickers, Chips, and Little Debbie's Plan.

It has to be absolutely, positively, without-a-doubt impossible to keep a straight face when doing that.
I'm with Nancy and CindySue...I'd be howling with laughter, but hey...that's a good thing; laughter burns extra calories, increases your lung capacity and helps tone those abs, right? :lol: :lol:

bigpeach
Fri, Dec-02-05, 20:51
What's even more annoying is people who always talk about whatever plan they're on, and why it is best and why this time will finally be the time they lose the pounds.
(We all have to admit that Atkins followers are some of the worst in this regard.)

GlendaRC
Fri, Dec-02-05, 21:23
(We all have to admit that Atkins followers are some of the worst in this regard.)
Well maybe .... but we're right! :agree: :agree: :agree:
Glenda

CindySue48
Fri, Dec-02-05, 22:09
The lady on the computer next to me at work is doing low-fat. She doesn't last for more than 3 days with her Healthy Choice frozen lunches...after that, she's chowing down on Symphony bars and Ben & Jerry's. Then she'll rebound back onto low-fat for another 3 days...yet she looks at me funny when I eat my chicken for lunch.Sounds like one of my office mates. She had a baby 7-8 months ago and when she first returned to work was 100% on WW.....but still eating those "100 calorie" snacks all day. She says she lost 40 something pounds.....but honestly I can't see where!

Funny thing, when she first started working with us she was 100% for LC.....but when seh got pregnant her doc told her she "had" to stop the diet....even tho she has a history of sugar problems and was diabetic with her first baby!

When we DO go out for lunch, she's very careful about what she orders....even asks for a to go box as soon as they bring her food. She always splits her veggie....and NEVER orders salad. And, when we get back to the office she complains all afternoon about being hungry! LOL meanwhile I'm eating my meat and veggies (most often a chicken caesar salad :yum: ) and I'm often still full at dinnertime!

What really amazes me with LF proponents is the foods they "can't" eat because it's too high in fat....foods like nuts, cheese, yogurt (she's appalled at me eating whole milk yogurt), meat! She won't even eat salmon, etc because it's too high in fat and uses too many points!

CindySue48
Fri, Dec-02-05, 22:11
He who laughs last, laughs longest.

Seemed the most apt quote for this situation.My favorite:
"she who laughs.....lasts" :agree:

LilithD
Fri, Dec-02-05, 23:36
I loved it at my last job: they would sit around the table eating sandwiches, most of them overweight, and I'd warm up my delicious leftover meat and sauce (camembert and cream anyone?), make a quick salad or steamed veges, and get envious glances and comments as I settled down to a proper meal. Nobody tried to tell me it was unhealthy, it was so obviously good food.

DaddioM
Sat, Dec-03-05, 00:05
Well maybe .... but we're right! :agree: :agree: :agree:
Glenda exACTLY!! OTHER than people who stay slim with just moderation (I don't know HOW they do that.. ) I know more atkins/LC people that have made it a way of life than any other diet!

WOOHOO!!

btw.. I agree with prof Grumby.. unless you LIKE to discuss it.. better to just say "thanks".. and then LIVE the results! The one thing NONE of the other diets do is remove the cravings.. and if you're NO CHEAT for about 3 or 4 days on LC, the cravings you get from sugar highs/lows are GONE so you only have to fight the phsycological cravings!

viva la low carb!!

Mike

CindySue48
Sat, Dec-03-05, 01:14
I always get a reaction when I have my homemade chilli. It's bean-free, and made with hamburg and pork sausage. Nice thick 'tomatoey' sauce too. I have a 1c serving with 1 oz shreadded cheese....and with the finely shreadded, that's a lot of cheese! :lol:

I can't tell you how many people look longingly at it...mostly the men....and how many turn their noses up and mutter about the fat! :lol: Most people know I avoid carbs and packaged foods.

CindySue48
Sat, Dec-03-05, 01:26
The one thing NONE of the other diets do is remove the cravings.. and if you're NO CHEAT for about 3 or 4 days on LC, the cravings you get from sugar highs/lows are GONE so you only have to fight the phsycological cravings!Exactly! That's what I keep trying to tell people when they question the wisdom of LC. They keep saying they can "control" their cravings by having just a little snack here and there. The fear of fat is too great! They just don't want to chance it! So instead, they have a high-carb-fake-food-junk snack. I don't know how they do it either! Just a taste can sometimes set me off.

When I do cheat, if I give in to the cravings, they get more and more intense. After a while I swear I could eat constantly and still be "hungry"! I'm one of those that craves FOOD when I get on carbs. Bread, candy, pancakes type of food....none of it good for anyone. When I finally smarten up and get on 45/45 fat/protein again, my cravings are gone in no time! I can have a treat on occasion....I just have to plan it. I have a high fat and protein snack and/or meal soon after and don't give in. I know by morning I'll be fine. But if I give in on a bad day.....man I can get into some FOOD! lol :blush:

It makes it SOOOOO much easier to stick with your plan when you don't crave food constanly!

Michelle H
Sat, Dec-03-05, 03:48
Yum, CindySue, I like the sound of your chilli. I've just eaten a salad with turkey and cheddar cheese dressed with lots of olive oil and lime juice - also yummy. And I drink the left over dressing - sounds disgusting but my container leaks if I'm not careful and I don't want it all through my bag.

rpavich
Sat, Dec-03-05, 06:58
CindySue,
How about posting that great sounding chile recipe?

bob

CindySue48
Sat, Dec-03-05, 12:11
Bob I will later today under the recipes. I got it from a friend and just left out the beans. I had never made chili until I tried this recipe.....and I almost always have some in the freezer!

gryfonclaw
Sat, Dec-03-05, 15:10
I like to put scrambled eggs on top of my steaks when I eat them...

A friend of mine and I were in IHOP the other day, and he says to me...

Friend: "good god, how much fat are you going to eat?"

Me: "Holy hell, you ordered PANCAKES WITH ICE CREAM ON THEM. I'm surprised you're not dead."

Friend: "Shut up."

Jonahsafta
Sat, Dec-03-05, 15:54
OH come on guys...it is hilarious!! I just look down at their junk food and smile...Or laugh...and sometimes even chortle...Lord knows i hope I am never that stupid in public..:)

CindySue48
Sat, Dec-03-05, 17:35
Bob I posted my chili recipe. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=5766264#post5766264

It's easy to double, or even triple. If I double or triple the recipe I slow cook in a large stock pot on top of the stove. And it freezes well! I make a batch and then divide into 1c containers and freeze.

kyrasdad
Sat, Dec-03-05, 21:30
My favorite story on this...

I was early on, in about 2003 on my LC journey and had lost about 40 pounds. People were starting to notice my loss, but I was still hovering at about 300 pounds. I was at the microwave and a lady asked what I was doing to have lost it. I told her, and she frowned.

"What I've heard," she said with all seriousness, "is that as soon as you stop that diet you'll regain all your weight."

I nodded politely. I never have found the magical diet that will allow you not to lose weight after you've stopped practicing it, but if any of y'all find it, please let me know.

Heike
Sun, Dec-04-05, 02:24
Hi,
I'm sitting here smiling.Got those colleagues too.Look,she is eating nuts,they say,and it really shoes me how brainwashing has worked from all these weightwatcher/LF guys etc.For the majority (at my workplace,a school) it's the ONLY way they know that there is!The discussions I have at work,even with narrow minded cookery teachers,are amazing.It feels to me as if I invented it,yet they're so puzzled as why I loose any weight at all and look so much better and even have more energy(and why are some of them so miserable and I'm not?) Thank you for sharing your work stuff,it makes good reading!

hollygrl25
Sun, Dec-04-05, 09:09
haha..I think everyone has these stories of ignorant co-workers and friends! I know one thing people find weird...as soon as I explain the diet they hear you can have no fruit...oh well that unhealthy! Once I explain its only for two weeks to get rid of sugar cravings they still look skeptical...the funny thing is I always ask them...have YOU even eaten fruit in the last two weeks? Most people I know are so unhealhty they haven't ether!!

LilithD
Sun, Dec-04-05, 13:58
Maybe it's a gender thing. At my last work the men were mainly envious/appreciative of my diet (at least the meat and fat, not so much the veges, LOL), one even was on Atkins (said it was the only thing that ever worked for him, which got me interested - at the time I was just gluten-free low glycemic). But one woman, slightly overweight, was telling me that she threw away all her egg yolks. She was quite shocked when I tried to explain that the fat in egg yolks is good, and said "but what about the cholesterol? You can't get away from that!"

I gave her the mercola link, so she can learn that dietary cholesterol does not translate into blood cholesterol. She didn't seem very keen to check out the truth. I suspect that a lot of women have too much invested in their years of self-torture to face the fact that it was all a huge fat lie!! And many nutritionists are women, so they have a professional and personal reason to deny the truth...

LC_Dave
Mon, Dec-05-05, 06:24
She was quite shocked when I tried to explain that the fat in egg yolks is good, and said "but what about the cholesterol? You can't get away from that!"

ha ha! in Australian they have been given the 'tick' by the heart foundation

http://www.heartfoundation.com.au/index.cfm?page=882

I remember 10 years ago sitting in a Weight Watchers meeting and looking at a heart foundation poster that said we should have no more than two eggs a week because of cholesterol! lol Now they say it's healthy!

That's almost like a hypocritical work-mate, except that this is a non-profit organisation that researches heart disease!

CindySue48
Mon, Dec-05-05, 13:36
I gave her the mercola link, so she can learn that dietary cholesterol does not translate into blood cholesterol. She didn't seem very keen to check out the truth.People want, I think to know the truth.....but they don't trust anyone other than mainstream medical, pharma and media!

I once read an alternative (ie pro-lc) author stated if he was on a TV news program, he'd have to justify everything he said. But, if Dr Weil was on, he's treated like an expert! Why? because he's mainstream, and of course he's spouting the same garbage....but it's the garbage they expect.

Personally I'm strting to wonder about us. It seems that no matter how hard people try, on LF anyway, they just can't seem to get the weight off and the proper amount of exercise AND food. In order to loose, they have to almost starve themselves, then work out 1-2hrs a day. As soon as they ease up they gain.....but do they blame the docs? the diet? NO!!!!!!!!!! OBVIOUSLY they're doing something wrong.....and just have to try harder! Heaven forbid they question their docs! or the "experts".

LilithD
Mon, Dec-05-05, 13:46
I read the eggs link - they are bailing out by telling people 'at risk for heart disease' (isn't that everyone?) to ask their physician re eggs. And guess what the Drs will say...

Also, they keep up the 'saturated fat' myths.

It's pretty rich for them to mention the 'cholesterol myth' when they used to spread it!!!

Lauri T.
Mon, Dec-05-05, 13:59
Personally I'm strting to wonder about us. It seems that no matter how hard people try, on LF anyway, they just can't seem to get the weight off and the proper amount of exercise AND food. In order to loose, they have to almost starve themselves, then work out 1-2hrs a day. As soon as they ease up they gain.....but do they blame the docs? the diet? NO!!!!!!!!!! OBVIOUSLY they're doing something wrong.....and just have to try harder! Heaven forbid they question their docs! or the "experts".

So true. I did Weight Watchers constantly after I became serious about losing my weight. I also went to the gym three times a week. After I had GAINED 20 pounds, I was very depressed (not clinically, just about the situation). My doctor told me I must not be sticking to the plan. I couldn't understand what was going on. I went to those meetings week after week, watching everyone else get those stupid stickers and prizes for losing weight.

Then I found out about Dr. Atkins...

It's still been hard. I have been on a looooong stall. But I feel well and know the rest will eventually come off.

JaneDough
Mon, Dec-05-05, 15:13
It bugs me when my co-workers who still have crumbs of a snickers in their lap and are now eating a bag of "salt-and-vinegar" chips with a coke say to me "Isn't that Atkins diet harmful to your health"?

Mkay - I almost spit my Arrowhead all over the monitor, dude. We need an extreme humor warning up in here! :lol:

LilaCotton
Thu, Dec-08-05, 01:51
I dare anyone who might say something about my handful of nuts to compare the fat content in their snacks. And my nuts are full of vitamins and fiber! I was reading something the other day that said people shouldn't be dissing nuts--they should be eating them but only in very small amounts. I won't disagree with the small amounts--even I can have problems if I eat more than a handful or so a day.

I still keep hearing things through the grapevine my relatives are saying about the way I eat: "Oh, just eating meat and veggies can't be good for you!" "I'll bet she hasn't even had her cholesterol checked! It's probably sky high!" Yet when they see me I ask them, "Do I appear unhealthy to you? Do I look sick?" And not a one of them can tell me there's anything wrong with the way I look.

One cousin said she knew x number of people who'd tried the Atkins diet and that they all started looking horrible after a few weeks. I told her that perhaps they failed to actually read the entire plan and follow it. I think my entire family was surprised over this past summer when I decided to go on maintenance to see I would actually eat not just a hamburger patty, but a hamburger patty on a piece of bread, of all things!

And you know what one of the best things I discovered by going on several months of maintenance? The best thing I found is that by reasonably following the advice given in "Atkins For Life" I can maintain the weight I've lost! I've never been able to do that with any type of weight loss plan I tried before--never! And I tried plenty of them. Shoot, I couldn't even reach a point where I would've been happy to maintain!

Well, it's not like I want to maintain this weight, but when things went topsy-turvy it seemed like a mighty good idea until things settled back down a bit.

Jonahsafta
Thu, Dec-08-05, 06:42
I'm still laughing over the first post on this....it has reminded me of when my husband worked nights in the hospital. Every night had a food run, they would get enough junk food to sink the Titanic and then all the women would insist on Diet coke!!

bkloots
Thu, Dec-08-05, 09:55
I think working in hospitals is hazardous to your health in a lot of ways--not the least of them being the "fast food" runs. Nurses are amazing people, but many of them are time-stressed, and they lose control of their eating. I feel sad for obese nurses (and doctors). The energy drain must be disabling.

red2680
Thu, Dec-08-05, 10:09
Originally Posted by rpavich

I love the irony in this thread!!! That is the reaction I get from a coworker. She is OW and her newest approach to weight loss is taking the top bun off of her big mac... Oh yeah!!! That'll help!!!
She is on daily Rx's for heartburn, hi BP, cholesterol, prozac, and two others I cannot recall. I really feel that changing her WOE would correct the majority of her problems, but I would not presume to tell her how to eat. But she doesn't hestitate to tell me I am hurting myself... WOW!!!
Oh and she LOVES to annouce to everyone when goodies are set out... "OH she CAN'T have that she is on a DIET" I just smile & say "No... dear... I chose NOT to have it. I do not WANT it."
Oh well... I smile inside because I have not felt this fantastic in so long!!! And feeling good, means no trips to the Doctor, means I am healthy!!! Funny how that is working out!!!

klc145
Thu, Dec-08-05, 12:03
I was putting some crumbled bacon on my big salad the other night and DH was preparing some soup for himself. And he said "Doesn't bacon have tons of sodium in it?" And I decided to look at the labels of his compared to mine. My bacon had 220 for 3 slices while his chunky soup (he ate the whole can) was 1780. Yeah....I just laughed. ;)

Dodger
Thu, Dec-08-05, 12:42
Soup has such a healthy image that lots of people never think about what the commerically-made ones have in them.

CheeseSand
Thu, Dec-08-05, 16:09
have YOU even eaten fruit in the last two weeks? Most people I know are so unhealhty they haven't ether!!

Good point. :lol: Atkins said in his book that people doing his plan would likely be eating more veggies than most Americans do.

Batipton
Fri, Dec-09-05, 18:05
My favorite story on this...

I was early on, in about 2003 on my LC journey and had lost about 40 pounds. People were starting to notice my loss, but I was still hovering at about 300 pounds. I was at the microwave and a lady asked what I was doing to have lost it. I told her, and she frowned.

"What I've heard," she said with all seriousness, "is that as soon as you stop that diet you'll regain all your weight."

I nodded politely. I never have found the magical diet that will allow you not to lose weight after you've stopped practicing it, but if any of y'all find it, please let me know.

So I quess she is saying if you go back to eating whatever you want you will gain weight. So will 99% of the population. Nice catch.

Freds Mom
Sun, Dec-11-05, 10:46
I love this thread. I have been LMAO. It's a wonder that some people can even get themselves dressed in the morning. I'm sure we have all had stupid comments come out of our mouths but I am proud to say that I have never done it while something stupid was going in my mouth. I'm lucky that I get support from my friends and family. I've showed them what I am eating and they realize that I am having very healthy choices.

LC DAVE: are those pictures in your signature of you? I love them. It makes me smile everytime I see them.

potatofree
Sun, Dec-11-05, 11:39
I just had a moment like this watching a person who used to low-carb chow down on a candy bar and a Coke, saying "My doctor told me I NEED carbs to be healthy, so I quit Atkins."

LilithD
Sun, Dec-11-05, 13:15
LOL, Potatofree, that's hilarious! Even carb-promoters generally now admit that low glycemic whole grains and vegetables are preferable than sugar and processed flour. Some people only take the part of the message they want to hear. I bet that candy and coke eater only heard 'eat carbs', not 'eat fibrous, whole carbs'. And when doing Atkins, that type is often one of the 'I'm eating nothing but hamburger patties, bacon and low-carb bars - so why do I feel yukky?' sort that then go and bad-mouth Atkins.

Batipton
Wed, Dec-21-05, 21:13
Here's something that bugs me. In our society it is sometimes considered rude to reject food offered. However, it is not considered rude to try to play battle of the will with the one who rejects the food; trying to convince them to eat.

"Just a little won't hurt."
"You're so thin, you can eat just one."
"Oh come on, you know you want to."

klc145
Wed, Dec-21-05, 21:17
How about this one...in my LC magazine, there is an article that states that one must consume at least 120 grams of carbs a day to maintain brain function.

Because surely under 120 grams of carbs we all go completely brain dead....

ProfGumby
Wed, Dec-21-05, 22:12
"Because surely under 120 grams of carbs we all go completely brain dead...."

Huh?

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, pickles in your shoelaces right?
(I only had 22 carbs today, and airplanes you Bob Uncle walrus chops!)

:lol: :lol: :agree: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, where do they come up with that kind of crap?

acadkate
Wed, Dec-21-05, 22:32

Huh?

:lol: :lol: :agree: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, where do they come up with that kind of crap?

I get e-mail spam junk with titles like those. lol

nawchem
Wed, Dec-21-05, 23:31
How about this one...in my LC magazine, there is an article that states that one must consume at least 120 grams of carbs a day to maintain brain function.

Did they say how long it takes? The pastor of my church fasted 38 days- 0 carbs for 38 days he seems unharmed. Now he's getting chubby.

bsheets
Thu, Dec-22-05, 06:09
I just don't understand it! I have a bf and a father and numerous other people I've met who will absolutely eat nothing but meat and potatoes. And they only eat potatoes if they've been roasted by someone.

They regularly only eat meat and cheese and never have a problem (altho I think me and my "talks" about vegies would be considered a problem by them lol).

I just don't get it ....

e

klc145
Thu, Dec-22-05, 06:15
Did they say how long it takes? The pastor of my church fasted 38 days- 0 carbs for 38 days he seems unharmed. Now he's getting chubby.

I didn't say but, I am guessing that they meant daily. Clearly, they are misinformed. I should've known that it wasn't going to be a resourceful mag when there was a picture of a pita bread stuffed with rice on the front of it. All I wanted were some new recipes!

What is kind of funny though was when I was reading it, I started laughing out loud and naturally my DH wanted to know what was so funny....so I told him and he goes "Ohhhh, so that's what is wrong with you!" (With a huge grin on his face) Haha, very funny...:rolleyes:

doreen T
Thu, Dec-22-05, 08:38

When insulin predominates, then 120 - 130g of glucose is required dailly to provide fuel for the body's cells --- not just the brain, but also the muscles, heart and other organs and tissues. It's not necessary to consume carbohydrates to get this glucose .. our liver can make glucose from protein and also fatty acids, through a process called gluconeogenesis.

However ... when glucagon predominates, such as during starvation or benign dietary ketosis where protein and fat intake is adequate, then the body's requirement for glucose drops to approx. 30g per day. Most cells in the body will hum along quite nicely with ketones and fatty acids , especially our skeletal and heart muscles :cool:. There are only a few types of cells which can't use ketones or f/a's .. they must have glucose instead. These cells are found mainly in the mid-brain, a portion of the kidneys, red blood cells and the retina of the eye. Once again, it's not necessary to consume carbohydrates in order to get the required glucose .. we can make our own glucose from protein and fat.

hth,

Doreen

Batipton
Thu, Dec-22-05, 09:22
However ... when glucagon predominates, such as during starvation or benign dietary ketosis where protein and fat intake is adequate, then the body's requirement for glucose drops to approx. 30g per day. Most cells in the body will hum along quite nicely with ketones and fatty acids , especially our skeletal and heart muscles :cool:. There are only a few types of cells which can't use ketones or f/a's .. they must have glucose instead. These cells are found mainly in the mid-brain, a portion of the kidneys, red blood cells and the retina of the eye. Once again, it's not necessary to consume carbohydrates in order to get the required glucose .. we can make our own glucose from protein and fat.

This is just a question. I know that we are supposed to be able to function in taking in 0 carbs. However, I find I do not do well on really low carbs; say 20 or 30 grams. If my carbs get too low I have a rebound effect where I get uncontrollable cravings for carbs. I was wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that I work out very intensely? Any ideas?

CheeseSand
Thu, Dec-22-05, 11:37

Huh?

LilithD
Thu, Dec-22-05, 14:13
A study re ketosis and physical performance:

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2

Overall, a very high level of training is achievable once ketosis is properly established. However, top-level, intense athletic achievement does need more carbs.

ProfGumby
Fri, Dec-23-05, 15:29
Okay, I had more carbs today and now my brain is functioning.... :wave:

Seriously though, correct me if I am wrong, but in it's basest form most LC plans simply state to get as much of your daily nutritional needs satisfied with whole, relatively low GI foods. If you consume carbs, make them from natural, whole foods. (read that veggies, nuts and some fruits and grains)

You basically increase your carbs from the low levels at start up, but maintain weight loss till your goal is reached. Upon reaching goal (provided it is a sane goal) you hold carbs at a level where you do not gain or lose weight.

To flush that out a little more.....

As long as one is not forcing the body into starvation mode, or eating empty usless LC foods (franken foods) one will continue to lose or maintain weight and not sap their energy.

Calories do not seem to be as important when they are not empty calories as provided by franken foods. FOR SOME PEOPLE! That being said, more physically active and high metabolism peoples can injest more calories and still lose or maintain weight as well as build muscle mass.

So, the self evident nature of this would mean, there is no set level of carbs for everyone, and the more active one is, or the more lean muscle mass one desries to build, the more good, natural, healthy, whole sourced carbs that person may need to injest.

On top of this, if you are not getting enough vitamins and minerals in your food, you will need to use suppliments. Most people on the planet can not eat enough food on a LC plan to get the proper amounts of vitamins and minerals.

As people age and those athletic types among us may need more vitamins and minerals than amost sedentary types. Certain medical conditions benefit from more of certain suppliments as well.

Also, in my experience, many LCers DO NOT;
Drink enough water-
Use suppliments-
Use high quality suppliments-
Eat enough whole foods-
Rely on too many commercially prepared foods-
Do not get enough excersise-
(based on the 11 people I personally know that follow an LC lifestyle and dozens more who's info I read on the web...)

Jonahsafta
Sat, Dec-24-05, 08:24
Prof....I agree with your observations abt LC'ers....

finnz
Sat, Dec-24-05, 10:08
When telling a nurse friend that I had lost over a stone doing Atkins, she replied " didn't he die of a stroke from his diet ?". What was even worse was she then told me she was trying to lose weight using those powdered shakes. She seemed suprised afterwards when all the weight came back when she stopped taking them.
I no longer talk about dieting with her.

Batipton
Sat, Dec-24-05, 10:50
Seriously though, correct me if I am wrong, but in it's basest form most LC plans simply state to get as much of your daily nutritional needs satisfied with whole, relatively low GI foods. If you consume carbs, make them from natural, whole foods. (read that veggies, nuts and some fruits and grains)

I agree with eating low GI foods. What I find is that I do not do well on induction level of carbs. When my carbs are higher (due to eating these good carbs you describe) I function just fine. Of course, most all the carbs I eat are low GI carbs, and I spread them out through the day to keep the overall Glycemic Load at most meals very low.

I think one thing I did which helped a lot was that I was eating basically Vegan for about 23 months. It did not get me where I needed to be, but I learned a lot of healthy vegetables, fruits, and nuts that I like to eat. I feel combining those healthy vegetarian foods with moderate quantities of healthy animal products should get me where I want to be.

As far as Frankenfoods, I feel why eat refined proteins and fats. If I am trying to avoid refined carbs, shouldn't the same reasoning go along with other foods? That's one reason I gave up eating Vegan. I found I was craving proteins and eating a lot of manufactured soy products to get it. Didn't make much sense to me, so I adjusted my way of eating.

Lexguy42
Sat, Dec-24-05, 10:55
I use to be one of those people that thought Atkins was bad for your health... this diet goes against everything I thought I knew about weight loss. I only knew that the other diets didnt work for me and so I just either needed to live with my weight or turn to surgery for the answer. It took talking to my doctor before I decided to do a little more research on LC. Of course today I beleive that Atkins saved my life or at the very least has added years to it. Finally a diet I can live with, not just stay on while I am losing but stay on for a life time. I have found that the critics of Atkins and other LC diets simply do not know the facts. It may not be for everyone but it is for me.

Sbboyceut
Sun, Dec-25-05, 22:18
I love this thread, we get to vent about the annoying coworkers out there who make comments at your break like, " you are eating Pork rinds but drinking a diet soda?? THAT doesn't make any sense!" Or when you bring a lunch of delicious lettuce wraps you hear, " Lettuce has carbs you know." DUH! There is difference in the carbs in lettuce compared to those Dorittos you are eating buddy! Why don't they get the fact that low carb doesn't mean NO carb?! Oh well, to each his own.

bsheets
Sun, Dec-25-05, 22:29
Why don't they get the fact that low carb doesn't mean NO carb?! Oh well, to each his own.
I hold the media and its dictators completely responsible. All those "experts" damning Atkins as soon as they realised they couldn't make as much money out of it. And then unsuspecting people, like your friend from work, believing what she's told.

.... I used to be like that. So I faith things will eventually change ... it just takes time ...

e

LilithD
Mon, Dec-26-05, 13:45
I'm about to attend a summer art camp, and while everyone else will be eating the food provided, I'm planning to live mainly off salads with protein and fats added (am taking frozen pre-cooked meats , canned fish, and hope I can boil some eggs there). It won't be easy, and the worst bit, I fear, will be the comments. I'm trying to decide on an approach when people question me. Perhaps 'I'm strongly allergic to starches', or just 'I feel better without starch or sugar in my diet'. Or I might get off lightly and nobody says anything. But if people start criticising my diet, I might say something like, 'well, if you're eating pasta , bread or pototoes, those are actually just big lumps of sugar, and my body doesn't handle those very well'. I don't want to 'stand out', but the alternative would be to try and eat the meals provided and just pick my way around them, remaining hungry at the end.

CindySue48
Mon, Dec-26-05, 21:24
Lilith.....why not just say "doctor's orders" and leave it at that. If people question you further, they're rude.....and then you can say something about having problems metabolizing complex and simple carbohydrates. If people persist, they should be informed that they're rude! LOL

Did you check with the even planners about special diets? You may be able to do this without bringing all your own stuff.

Have fun!

LilithD
Tue, Dec-27-05, 22:47
Thanks CindySue, good idea about the 'doctor's orders'. Dr Rosedale's orders, actually, LOL.

They do provide special vegetarian options, but I didn't want to hassle them and myself by trying to explain my requirements. Last time I was there, it was difficult to get enough vegetables, and fruit was virtually unavailable. The foods were very stodgy, pasta, rice and bread-based. So I'm quite happy making my own food (there is a spare kitchen area and fridge I can use), I just don't want to have to talk to anyone about it.

bladegem
Wed, Dec-28-05, 00:25
I used to bring up that sugar makes me feel sick and I (actually am) allergic to wheat, but people just got confused. Now I say I'm eating low-carb, which sparks a few comments, but after a meal or two they leave me alone.

ArticCat
Wed, Dec-28-05, 14:49
I've been getting a few comments too. I usually bring my lunch and snacks to work with me, but when I decide to go out to eat I usualy have 1/4 of what everyone else eats. I always have to explain that I am not starving myself or being a girl, that I actually eat small amounts of food every 3-4 hours. Very difficult in a work environment.