PDA

View Full Version : Menopause and hormones

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pegm
Wed, Dec-12-01, 12:47
Been having so much trouble lately with menopause symptoms -- tons of hot flashes, night sweats, can't sleep well and wake up so tired! I'm thinking about asking my doctor about taking hormones. Does anyone take hormones for menopause, or do you know if taking them would make it harder to lose weight? I don't want to take something that will make weight loss even more difficult, as I am already a 'Turtle'.

I would appreciate any input or advice.

Thanks,

alto
Wed, Dec-12-01, 13:19
Peg, I just passed through that stage -- luckily, for me, I didn't have severe symptoms and haven't started hormones. I have read (and heard from friends) that it's extremely difficult to lose weight while in the premenopause stage.

Your post inspired me to get out a book I've read (from my vast Diet library :) ) but not followed, called "Thin for Good." The author is a former associate of Atkins who has different diet recommendations for different age groups and genders. I posted some info about it on the Low Carb Plans forum. It might be helpful to you and others in your situation.

Tikerberi
Wed, Dec-12-01, 13:48
Seems I've been going through the same perimenopausal symptoms as you Peg, which could explain my difficulty in weight loss. However, it hasn't been bad enough to get hormones....though it is annoying sometimes.

I wonder though, if that's why I've also been putting weight on more easily....

Thanks for bringing this up. I may not have any good advice for you, but your situation sure helps me understand my own better.... :)

CatBat
Thu, Dec-13-01, 10:07
All this time, I have been struggling to lose weight and even LC'ing has been slow. Could it be because I am in peripause? My hot flashes went away after several weeks of LC so I didn't think it would affect my progress. Anybody have any info on this?

Tikerberi
Thu, Dec-13-01, 10:34
Here are a few interesting articles I found about menopause and weight. In general: They seem to indicate that weight gain is more due to natural body fat distribution after menopause, other physiological changes, and behavioral changes more than hormonal changes. One article where a study was done, indicates that the most consistent cause of weight gain seems to be decreased physical activity, which also is the cause of increased body fat. Anything I read says that exercise is incredibly important (I know that resistance exercises help bone mass and help prevent osteoporosis...as does HRT).

Yet, another article claims that HRT (hormone replacement therapy) helps prevent redistribution of body fat and makes you feel better, and so you tend to have a healthier lifestyle. However, many gain weight with HRT.

http://www.drn4u.com/weightgain.htm (this one includes a BMI calculator)

http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/2000/09_00/silverman.htm

There are many more. Just do a search with keywords "menopause" and "weight"