PDA

View Full Version : torn calve muscle

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

_wilow
Mon, Dec-10-01, 11:26
I recently experienced a lot of invountary muscle twitching in my calve muscles. A few days ago I was reaching for a glass in my cabinet and "tore" my calve muscle according to my doctor. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Ella
Fri, Dec-14-01, 04:22
I had that 6 years ago. I used to have sever calve cramps at nights. it would wake me up in the middle of the night. So painful I cried my eyes off!! Once it was so bad that I tore my muscle. Unfortunately, I didn't know what to do about it, so it eased in a couple of weeks and then just gone after a couple on months. I know the feeling. I think it happened mainly because I didn't have any diary products in my diet then (didn't like cheese or milk).

Recently (about a week ago ) I started experiencing cramps again in my legs (especially when stretching). Though I eat definitely more cheese now. Need to figure out what nutrient I'm missing on.

So, would be really interested if anyone had similar problems and found the cure. :q:

_wilow
Fri, Dec-14-01, 04:37
Ella, thanks for responding. I've been told to take extra potassium and also magnesium/calcium supplements and I did that but it didnt help. From what I've read about it, it sounds like this diet could cause problems with your muscles over time.. I'm going to the doctor about it on the 28th so I'll see what he says. Anyway, I've been off of the low carb diet for 9 days and the calve jumpiness has stopped. I really hate that it seems to be related to this diet because this diet has really been one I could stick with. It's kind of scary eating carbs. I'm just staying away from sugar and junkfood/fast food. We'll see. Thanks again. Lisa :wave: