PDA

View Full Version : Product Reviews - Keto Products and more - Personal

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

goingfor60
Mon, Dec-03-01, 21:22
I ventured out and purchased the Keto chocolate chip cookie mix. My first bite made me do my Homer Simpson drool (mmmmcookie) and then I said these are really really good and when I noticed that I wasnt sharing them with anyone that they must be really good.

They have this very very sweet taste and oh they are mmm good. I do have to advise that the oil used to mix the cookies is far from cheap. It required I think the measurement was 1/4 cup of Sunflower oil, I paid $5.99 for a small bottle.

The cookies are suppose to be 1.5g of effective carbs per 1 tablspoon of cookie. I didnt run it through the carb counter, I was too happy with the idea of COOKIES.

Shannon

KarenB
Sun, Dec-09-01, 09:54
I just started using a few of the Keto products, and after raving (or ranting) about them in my journal, am posting here at Nat's urging. So blame her. :D

Keto Muffin/Pancake Mix: Okay, it's pretty good. It's not Betty Crocker, but if I'd expected that I'd have been misleading myself. Took a little more water than the directions said, but I did indeed get 6 fluffy, puffy muffins (three servings). They're rather disarmingly shiny on the surface, but that's a small price to pay for *muffins*. I had two of 'em spread with...

Twist: OMG this stuff is GREAT!!! It's imported from the Netherlands, and it's sugar-free, and it's REAL chocolate with hazelnut flavor. If you're a chocoholic, you NEED this.

Keto Cocoa: As instant cocoas go, it's not bad. Nothing comes close to the real thing made with milk and unsweetened Dutch cocoa, on a stove top--but this isn't bad. I'll buy it again.

Keto Banana Pudding Mix: This one's on closeout, so once it's gone it's gone. That won't be a big loss, IMHO. I don't own a hand mixer, which is what the directions say to use. I have a KitchenAid, and a whisk. I wasn't about to haul out the heavy guns for 1/2 cup of pudding, so I whisked it--and I know that's why it didn't get as thick as it was supposed to. The flavor was all right, not fantastic, but all right. It's clearly artificial--Jello Instant has a far more "real" taste. But, for what it is, and being that it's on closeout, I'll eat it. However, I will not mourn its passing. :D

CarboLite Baked Protein Crackers: Nasty. Just plain Nasty. They seem to turn into sponges for the last few chews and suck all the saliva out of my mouth. Flavor-wise, they're not bad--I have the ranch ones. It's that moisture-absorbing thing that bothers me. I won't buy these again.

Pure DeLite Belgian Chocolate: I had the dark yesterday, and WOW. This is CHOCOLATE. (That was my treat to myself for having tried to give blood--it was going to be my treat for being a pint low, but that didn't happen. See my journal for details. :) ) I also have the mint and orange flavors; if they're anywhere near as good as the dark, I have a new chocolate source. Pricey (1.99 each), so I won't be overindulging--but worth every precious pfennig.

I still have to try the Keto mac and cheese dinner. That might be tonight, though--so watch this space! :D

KarenB
Sun, Dec-09-01, 11:52
Okay, I tried it.

It's nasty. NASTY.

The texture is unpleasant, rather like stewed styrofoam. The flavor is similar. (Don't ask how I know, you'll be safer that way.) The color is one of the most disgusting I've encounted in a very long time. I knew it would be pale, as the cheese is white Cheddar--but combine that with the beige (yes, *beige*) of the "macaroni product" and it's--NASTY. The cheese flavor's not bad in and of itself, but that of the "macaroni" is oogy. (And yes, that's a technical term.)

I ate my half-cup serving, and put the other two aside for lunches. This is definitely NOT a repeat purchase.

Janjan
Mon, Dec-10-01, 11:52
Karen,
Those chocolates are known as Ross Chocolates here in Canada.I just ordered some from www.torontodirect.com and they were on sale for 1.29 each. With your exchange rate that's about 80 cents each!! I just mailed in a cheque with my order and 2 weeks later I had them. Thay have all kinds of flavours!

RamonaK
Mon, Dec-24-01, 11:37
Karen B. OFFICIAL FOOD TESTER...

Thanks for filling us in on the Keto Food Products. I was in a health food store yesterday that has a whole section dedicated to low carb. I was reading packages etc. I was excited and nervous at the same time. I am concerned about beginning anything that resembles carbs... and having it around the house. I have been doing LC for about two months and was looking for more variety.

Have you tried the pancakes? :p I am curious how they taste.

Has anyone had an experience of the LC food preparations (other than what we know about the bars) stalling them in their weight loss...???

Ramona

IslandGirl
Mon, Dec-24-01, 13:19
Have you had a peek in the Technical LowCarbing/Tips Stalls & Plateaus Forum (click here for instant access) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/f14/), RamonaK?

You might find some more specific answers to your question than here in the Personal Product Reviews thread...

Hope this helps.

KarenB
Tue, Dec-25-01, 16:53
RamonaK, no, I haven't made the Keto pancakes yet, only the muffins. The next time I order the mix, I plan to use it for pancakes; I'll be sure to post a review ASAP.

KarenB
Wed, Dec-26-01, 22:02
Okay, I just *seriously* dated myself. :rolleyes:

Anyway.... I wanted to warn folks that I've just ordered MORE lowcarb stuff. I won't be receiving it until well after the turn of the year, but the order's confirmed.

I'm getting more Keto pancake/muffin mix, *three* units of it in fact. At least one of those I'll use to make pancakes.

I'm also going to try the Carbolite Zero-Carb pancake mix.

Likewise, I'm attempting the Carbolite cheesecake mix. I'm a little sceptical of this one--I make darn tasty cheesecakes without spending $11. We'll see if it's worth the "convenience."

KarenB
Sat, Jan-05-02, 08:32
Do NOT waste your money.

I repeat, do NOT waste your money.

This stuff has the same problem as the Carbolite Protein Crackers: The "Sawdust factor." I don't care *how* much Atkins no-calorie syrup you douse 'em with, they're going to taste and feel like sawdust in your mouth.

My daughter, the pancake fiend, took one bite and shook her head as she shoved the plate away. I made myself eat nearly the whole serving (2 cakes) because it was a "pride thing." I threw the rest away, including the unused mix. I wouldn't offer to sell that to anyone, it's so nasty (YMMV, of course--if you love the stuff, feel free to drive to WI and dig in my trash for the container).

I'll try the Keto mix, pancake-style, perhaps tomorrow and let you know if it's any better. As muffins, that stuff is great. We shall see about pancakes.

goingfor60
Fri, Jan-11-02, 00:41
I await your next review - I thought I was the only one who hated a lot of the LC stuff. But you make me feel so much better!

Shannon :wave:

KarenB
Sat, Jan-12-02, 09:49
All righty then.

I made pancakes with the Keto golden original mix this morning (the one I used before for muffins, with good results) and WOW! What a difference!

These were actually a little bit fluffy, instead of heavy, and soaked up a little of the syrup instead of repelling it!

Mind you, you can tell they're not Aunt Jemima's, but come on--we can't expect *perfection* when we're approximating. (However, those CarboLite abominations weren't even CLOSE to pancakes, IMO.)

One-third cup mixed with 1/4 cup water and 2Tbsp heavy cream makes three good-size pancakes. Plenty to fill me up.

Related Product:

I've ditched that nasty tasteless colored water Atkins pushes as "syrup" in favor of a no-sugar syrup from Maple Farms of Vermont. For less money, I get something with viscosity approaching that of real syrup (instead of water), flavor (instead of just color), and only 4 carbs per 1/4 cup serving. I'll live with the sorbitol for those 4 carbs: Zero carbs just wasn't worth the time and money it took for the stuff to arrive via UPS. This other one from Maple Farms I can get off the shelf at my local Sentry.

Go, go, KETO!!!!

goingfor60
Fri, Jan-25-02, 18:49
I was desparate for something new for breakfast so I ordered 5 flavors of Keto shakes... I have tasted them all and have ratings for you on each.
I think they are rather tasty considering some of the other diet shakes I have had in the past.

Banana Cream Pie - I love it, its my favorite so far!
Orangecicle - This is good it could be a little more orangy
Chocolate Fudge - Where was the fudginess but it was still a good chocolate shake
Strawberry Shortcake - This I am still undecided, I think its a filler for when I get tired of the others. Its kinda like the taste of melted strawberry sugar free jello but not as sweet and stawberryish.
Cappucino Oops I havent had them all, I'll have to report back on that one...

I mix 8oz of cold water with a splash of heavy cream and approx 3-5 ice cubes and blend in the blender on puree. They are thick and wonderful and one of these keeps me full until lunch time and then I'm not starving as I have been on days without these shakes. Try them I think they are a definate keeper :thup:

KarenB
Fri, Jan-25-02, 18:55
I have always been leery of "shakes" ever since my Slim-Fast and Herbalife days. Those things aren't "shakes." They're cellulose in a glass, and they're NASTY. And I won't even bother telling you what I thought of the Atkins cappucino "shake"--I took it back to the store with the receipt and got my money back. Nuff Said.

I may have to try these, though! (And get a new blender, the old one died a couple of years ago... )

smedly
Fri, Jan-25-02, 19:48
I just made a shake out of some whey protein powder that I found at Costco. Zero carbs and sweetened with sucralose. A scoop of powder, some water, dash of whip cream and 5 frozen strawberries and I was in shake heaven!

carbavoidr
Fri, Jan-25-02, 20:35
lolol..My goodness, I thought it was just me that thought that stuff was gross. I heard people rave about the lc bars and could not spit them out fast enough!! and the dr A products...sigh.. I appreciate his dedication...but his products are over priced and low on the quality scale. I bought the Keto Sherbet, but haven't made any yet..I am not sure about the raw egg yolk. do you think I could cook it first? then cool? has anyone tried it?

starchile
Fri, Feb-01-02, 11:02
Hello All!

I'm going to go ahead and post my opinion and some of them contradict our house expert! (Hi Karen! :D ) But I think that you have to read as many opinions as you can and just make a gut decision!

First, the Keto Mac n Cheese- I LOVED IT!!! I know what you mean about the color but I added some cheddar cheese and some pepper jack AND some seasoned ground beef and YYYYYYYUUUMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! I have to say that I'm a person that will get sick to my stomache very easily if something tastes even remotely weird, but this stuff was great. I boiled the noodles for a little longer than what they suggested so maybe that had an effect on the texture for the better. NO PROBLEM. I plan on making this stuff a once a week meal. Also they give you a TON of it!!! One box can be about 2 main dishes or 3 or 4 side dishes!

Keto Pizza dough- eh, ok. I think I would have been able to get into it more if I had not had such a horrible experience with the Du Amici pasta. The soy taste was slight but b/c I had gotten sick with the soy taste in the pasta, I had a REALLY strong reaction to it. If someone REALLY needs pizza this is an ok product. But I suggest you eating as much of it as you can right away. The next day the crust was kinda soggy.

Flax-o-meal butter pecan hot cereal--YUMMMMYYY!!! How cool to be able to have hot cereal in the morning!!! It's kind of a gooey consistency but that's fine with me! It's like a cross between cream o whet and oatmeal. I add cream, butter, a little LC maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon and I'm good to go!! It's VERY filling, I ate it for dinner last night!

Flax-o-meal butter pecan pancakes- Pretty good I think, but the syrup I had (next review) was not very good so I couldn't get the full effect of them. The texture was ok and they looked like regular pancakes. I'll get some good syrup and give an update later.

DaVinci MAPLE syrup- Ok, I had to stress that it was the MAPLE flavor b/c I've heard FABULOUS reviews for this brand of syrup. I was CRUSHED when I tasted this flavor! It had NO FLAVOR at all!!! I hear the other flavors are excellent but this one somehow didn't match up.

Du Amici pastas- Blecccchhhh!!! I can't even write about this stuff without feeling queasy! I gotta stop! DON'T BUY!!!!!

Ok, that's it for me!!! My 2 cents is in the bucket!

Peace to all,
Tesia

KarenB
Fri, Feb-01-02, 11:57
ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Honey, I'm no expert--just a consumer with a BIG MOUTH. LOLOL

I am *totally* in agreement with you; we all need to read as many opinions as we can find and make our *own* decisions! (But I still hate that mac and cheese. :D )

Muse
Sun, Feb-03-02, 12:40
So I'm busy making my crustless low-carb pizza in the kitchen when a commercial comes on "LOOSE WEIGHT EATING LOW CARB PASTA!"! I'm thinkin,,,,, hmmmmmm what could this be?

Has anyone tried this? It's called Pasta Lite, made of soy protein I believe, (I recall they compaired it to a steak......uh yeah right) and it said it contained 10 grams carbs, 7 grams fibre, and like tons of protein (I can't recall the number).

Then everything was a blur as I was calculating carbs minus fibre; running to get a paper and pen. Trying to recall exactly "HOW many easy payments of $19.95 it was?" and thinkin interesting...wonder if it's any good.

They had a website www.buyhottvproducts.com (the name being enough to scare anyone); I went there and nothing...it wasn't listed. Wonder if any of you have heard of this or another similar product?

I imagine it could cause cravings but might be interesting during maintenance.

It was only 19.95...but I had to laugh, they threw in all sorts of things...a pot...a strainer...I think a ladle (lest you have not one of your own); and I'm sure an entire brand new kitchen! HAHAHAHAHAHHAH! Whateverrrrrrrrr!

Any thoughts people?

Muse......btw the number is 1800-238-9797 I will try it later!

starchile
Sun, Feb-03-02, 22:34
OMG!! Please don't buy this product!!! Well, OK let me say this...please don't buy this product until you have gotten the opinon of others. The link that I'm trying to post for you SHOULD be to a product review site called lowcarbfriends.com or something like that:

http://www.atkinsfriends.com/reviews/index.html

I think the product you are talking about is actually called "Du Amici Pasta Lite"' and that stuff is so HORRIBLE that I get sick to my stomache just typing about it!! Seriously. I don't mean to be dramatic but it was realllllllyyy bad! :eek:

Not only did it make my house smell bad, it tasted horrible and the texture was kinda like pencil shavings held together by glue. HAHA!

Apparently though, some people liked this product...if you can find the reviews by the link above you will see that some people's view is that we should not expect LC pasta to taste like real pasta and we should get over it b/c it's "not that bad". While I agree that we shouldn't expect too much, this particular product was beyond bad. I really liked the Keto Mac n cheese with cheddar and seasoned ground beef added to it. It didn't taste perfect but it wasn't all out gross.

Anyway, enuff of my rant! Read the reviews and go with your gut!

Good Luck!

Muse
Mon, Feb-04-02, 07:01
Whew!....gotta catch my breath! HAHAHA!

Hey, you're talking to like the only person in the world who can't stomach whole wheat pasta!...so I'm going to side with you on this one!

Thank you sooooooo much, ....hey that site is great! Any products you'd specifically recommend or that you can't do without? I've never bought any of those types of products.

Thanks for the warning! :D

Muse

starchile
Mon, Feb-04-02, 12:21
Hello Muse!

Well, Like I said, you should read the reviews of several folks and then go with your gut. I have tried several low carb products and the way I do it is I go to that link that I gave you and look for the product with the highest "cheese" rating. I then read all the reviews for the product and decide which ones I want to take a chance on.

Below, I've tried to include a link to some posts in this forum on LC products that I've tried...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=27282&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

If that doesn't work I think it's in "low carb products" and then go to "keto product review-personal" or something like that and then my specific post is at the beginning of page 2.

Let me know if you can't find it.

Peace,
T

eebee
Tue, Feb-05-02, 00:44
Just been catching up here. We don't have many options here in New Zealand but I did buy some very expensive Carbolite chips and they are horrible! They made me choke, literally- the sawdust factor is real!
Have you tried the foods made by Bariatrix- a Canadian company? They are really good -but I cant afford any more the postage is about $90 US. They are the best though. The lemon drink has 15g protein and is nice. So also are the chocolate and the cappuchino drinks and the chocolate pudding. The bars are good but have too may carbs. I wish I could get them here!

Claudia
Tue, Feb-05-02, 13:19
Has anyone tried this? I purchased some from Atkinsfriends.com They are a great way to drink flavored water without carbs or calories.

carbavoidr
Tue, Feb-05-02, 17:46
eebee
does shipping costs that much to you from anywhere you order? That does cause a lot more work for you. its just beginning though and before too long you will find these things at the local health food store. Do you make a lot of your own treats and foods now?
Jane

eebee
Tue, Feb-05-02, 21:00
yes I make most things I am not keen on packaged foods. I don't make many low carb treats because I can't get the ingredients here eg I have never seen the unsweetened chocolate that is often mentioned. There is cream though and I can do a lot of treats with that! I am using the Insulin Control Diet right now plus Diet Diva so I am on low calorie as well as low carb- that cuts ou the cream for now.

KarenB
Wed, Feb-06-02, 18:02
WOW!!!

This is the FIRST "low carb" shake I have tasted that did NOT remind me of a chemical dump (or wallpaper paste).

And, it's the ONLY "meal replacement" shake that actually did make me *feel full.*

I dunno what they did, but they did it right! I bought the orange creamsicle flavor, as I've had too many evil experiences with "French vanilla" and "Cappucino" and "Chocolate Fudge." This is GREAT!!!

Thanks for keying me into these, Shannon!

IslandGirl
Wed, Feb-06-02, 19:33
I'll move this whole thread into the Personal Reviews thread for y'all...

(and take note, there's also a thread with weblinks to other review sites, just so you can go in and click on one after the other and read a ton'o' material at any time on any product somebody may have reviewed somewhere).

starchile
Sun, Feb-10-02, 21:54
In my earlier post I said that i would post an update on the flaxomeal butter pecan Pancake and waffle mix...Here it is!

The verdict is: YUMMY!

I actually made it as waffles and added a little cinnamon to the mix. Tasted just like real butter pecan waffles! I love the little bits of pecans in them...makes it taste and feel so hearty! You gotta buy this product!!!

AND the cool thing is that all you really need to do is put some butter on them. I ate a couple with butter and bacon wrapped inside and it was dee-lish!

BUT if you do buy this stuff only make half a batch at a time. The bag gives directions for like 8 pancakes. I made too much the first time and even though it said to throw the leftover batter away I thought "well, i'll just put it in tupperware and it will be fine" NOPE! It turned BLACK! I'm not sure why that is but I just find that making half recipe is enough. It makes about 3 waffles.

Peace,
Tesia

KarenB
Mon, Feb-11-02, 17:39
Ditto on the banana walnut! They're DELICIOUS.

I made the whole batch, cooked up all 16 pancakes, and put the 12 leftovers (I had 2, Kelley had 2) in Ziplocs in the freezer. We'll see how well that works. I have a real problem with throwing things away... :lol:

starchile
Mon, Feb-11-02, 18:17
Just thought of some other good recipes with the Mac n cheese! I think tonight I'm going to try it with some tuna and a small handful of peas. (peas are high in carbs so just a couple) and some extra cheese. should be great!

starchile
Mon, Feb-11-02, 18:20
What flavor of syrup do you use with the Banana Walnut flavored mix?? Also, what brand of syrup do you use regularly?

thanks,
Tesia

LCnursie
Wed, Feb-13-02, 00:07
SO...tried the vanilla and chocolate ice cream mixes. The stuff was like CONCRETE!! Couldn't dig it out of the container they said to freeze it in. And texture? Definately NOT melt-in-your-mouth!! The stuff was awful. I'd be better off frezzing whipping cream with some unsweetened vanilla in a baggie.

KarenB
Wed, Feb-13-02, 00:13
Wow, LCnursie--sounds like I'm not the only one who thinks "Carbolite" is synonymous with "mostly inedible"!

I read in someone's journal (I think.... or perhaps it was over in the newbie boards, I've read a *lot* on here lately) that a tasty creamy treat is a small amount of whipped cream mixed with a little cocoa, put into a small container and frozen. The woman who tried this trick claimed it was "like the creamiest ice cream you've ever had in your life." (That's pretty close to a quote, anyway.) Might be worth a shot, if you're an ice-cream kinda person who just can't do without.

carbavoidr
Wed, Feb-13-02, 17:54
UGGGHHH!! This was some kind of nasty, and it cost me almost 4 dollars. I hate the prices of some of these things. but some are definately worth it. just bought some sweet gerkins made with splenda, out of australia, called always fresh. very good stuff. just bought the keto crispies has anyone tried them yet?
Jane

KarenB
Wed, Feb-13-02, 18:11
... that someone on here thought the KetoCrisp was ok, but the KetoMilk was disgusting. My words, not theirs--I can't remember who said it!!!

Seems that my hypothesis holds true: Carbolite means YUK.

goingfor60
Wed, Feb-13-02, 22:11
I purchased the regular and the chocolate keto crisp cereal based on the great panel review on another site and oh was it awful. I can pretty much put away any sort of food even if I dont like it.

This cereal was the worst it was like chewing on a sponge that had been ground up into little pieces. The more I chewed the more it expanded in my mouth. The regular flavor I couldnt eat at all, the chocolate I can stomach if its dry without the Keto milk which wasnt a favorite of mine either.

My advice is to stay clear of the cereal all together, go for flax its much better tasting.

I hope that helps.

Shannon

carbavoidr
Fri, Feb-15-02, 13:00
OK, Then. :)
Maybe I can crush it and use it as a pie crust?. The carbolite chocolate candy was excellent, but definately has a laxative effect. ;) I got some of the Twist mentioned here, and its very good, I use it as frosting on cookies and in my icream cake. here is the recipe

4 ounces cream cheese soft
4 ounces sour cream
1/2 stick butter, soft
2 eggs
1 cup splenda or sweetener
2 TBS of liquid sacchrine
3 TBS cocoa
1/2 cup cream + a bit if thick
1 tsp Vanilla
1 3/4 Cup oat-gluten (50-50 blend)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

mix all wet ingredients, mix all dry ingredients mix dry into wet untill well blended, it will be thick, add cream or water as necessary. bake in loaf pan at 350 till done, cool, slice long way down the loaf, into thirds. frost with twist chocolate spread.

make a mixture for a batch of the "kisses" in the recipe folder. layer frosted cake and cream mixture; starting with frosted cake and ending with it too. ( I place cling wrap back into the loaf pan and layer it that way) pressing it all to make firm. make sure frosting is spread all on top. freeze. (Hint, when almost completely froze, remove and slice into servings, then wrap those individually and finish freezing,) just plate up and serve slightly thawed. with a dallop of fresh whipped cream and a drizzle of s/f choco syrup. enjoy
Jane

goingfor60
Fri, Feb-15-02, 20:19
That does sound good - I'm obviously not as creative as you when it comes to coming up with stuff.

Anything that works with LC products send them our way. :thup:

goingfor60
Sat, Feb-16-02, 21:34
I received my order of Keto peaches and cream shake mix and absolutely loved it. I think its very good and very peachy. Of the 6 I have ordered already not one is a yuck dont ever order again.

These shakes are good at home in the blender or at work with a hand held shaker cup. This recieves 2 :thup:

Enjoy...

KarenB
Sun, Feb-17-02, 08:15
Just a quick report:

The FlaxOMeal banana walnut pancakes I packaged in Ziplocs and froze a couple of weeks back have now been tested.

They passed. :D

A little bit soggy from the microwaving, but perfectly edible and just as tasty once they get the butter and syrup on 'em.

Nice to know one doesn't have to throw out any unused batter as is suggested on the packaging. I'm glad I went ahead and cooked up the entire 8 servings and took the chance on the freezer!

lost120lbs
Sat, Feb-23-02, 15:23
Hi Y'all!!!
Julee here just back from Atlanta meeting with our new packaging facility. Way cool. On the pancakes and waffles, you can go ahead and make as many as you want, but just don't keep the batter. (although one man said he did and it made pancakes just fine the next day. For ME, it did NOT work to save the batter, it changed the whole texture) You can even freeze the pancakes or waffles without any loss in taste or texture. I love the waffles the best, especially when they get really crisp and brown on the outside. I ONLY use Log Cabin Sugar Free syrup....can't stand any of the other ones. We have our own brand coming out because we really couldn't find one we liked to go over our waffles.
Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee

carbavoidr
Sun, Feb-24-02, 17:28
good afternoon, have been down with the flu. nasty stuff going around this year, and speaking of NASTY, you are so right about the keto crispies. DH poured a serving with milk and I had to RUN it out to the trash it smelled so bad. he got a spoonful in his mouth and I thought he was going to barf. :eek: well, live and learn, for every 10 bad ones there will be one thing that's great and makes life easier. hope all is well in low carb land.
Jane

lee635
Mon, Feb-25-02, 18:01
Just my humble opinions below:

I didn't like the carbolite zero carb pancake mix, until I added a spoon of low carb peanut butter into the mix. Now they are my favorite pancakes.

Atkins and DaVinci pancake syrups are fairly tasteless and overpriced compared to Log Cabin Lite syrup with Splenda.

I like the LC mac and cheese just because it's a totally different kind of LC food from all the meat and eggs. I added some extra cheese and had it with a small steak. It's not Kraft Cheese and Macaroni, but at least it adds some variety to meals.

The Keto cocoa tasted like flavored water until I started adding a spoon or two of heavy cream to the mix. Now that's good.

And the Atkins baking mix is dreadful for baking but is a great breading for tenederized steak, just dip it in egg, dredge it in Atkins bake mix and fry it up.

KarenB
Mon, Feb-25-02, 20:42
I *always* add heavy cream to my KetoCocoa. Otherwise it's as you said: water with a little flavor and dark color.

I thought about the Log Cabin Lite, but when I compared the carb count to the Vermont Maple sugar-free, I couldn't justify taking in 12 when I could have 4. And I really *do* like the flavor and consistency of the Vermont brand. Just MHO, of course. :D

Time to put the kidlet to bed... TTFN!

IslandGirl
Tue, Feb-26-02, 14:00
Just so we're not comparing apples and oranges :D

The Atkins' and DaVinci Gourmet are ZERO carb syrups, sweetened with Splenda only.

The Log Cabin and any other syrup with carbohydrates in the form of sugar alcohols or glycerine (bulk sweeteners) are NOT zero carb; they get that nice texture and reminder of sugar on the tongue because bulk sweeteners ARE carbs, just like sugar...

" pick yer poison ", as they say ... and watch your serving sizes :D

kellyquilt
Tue, Feb-26-02, 14:36
I just made the Keto chocolate brownies (brownie / cookie mix). Considering I haven't had anything even remotely resembling bread / cookie / brownie since 1/6/02, I was really happy with them! Glad to be able to post a review!!

One of the major reasons I got onto this thread today was to ask:
Are the Keto products really A-OK - no "hidden carbs" that I keep hearing about? I just want to make sure before I go and order several items (thanks for the reviews everyone!!) and then find they're really not what I thought......

Thanks for your input!!!
:)

IslandGirl
Tue, Feb-26-02, 15:30
A whole company or class of products can't really be 'classified' as having hidden carbs or not.

As ever, you must read the Nutrition Facts and Ingredients List for yourself for each product you try (and double-check the serving size to be sure). There is ALWAYS the Tools:Hidden Carbs Inspector calculator to use, see the orange menu bar above and click on Tools to take advantage of this excellent resource!

Please do report back here if the Brownie Mix, for instance, hasn't yet been reported on (have you searched the Products forum?) and let us know what you find...

Thanks!

kellyquilt
Tue, Feb-26-02, 16:09
Thanks, Judi!
I hadn't used the "hidden carb tool" - I guess I just need to spend more time (as soon as I figure out how to get more than 24 hrs in a day!! :daze: ) playing with all the neat things on this site!
Anyway, it looks like the Keto brownies are OK! Whew! I would have hated to have to pitch 'em - especially since I rather like them!

joanie
Mon, Mar-04-02, 13:13
Hi...

Just tried the Keto quick bread last night (was going to make the shepard's bread recipe but couldn't find all the ingredients at the specialty store). I thought it was quite good and it couldn't be easier to make. The can cost me about $4, and it made one loaf, which I cut into about 16 pieces. You're supposed to be able to get up to 20 servings, but I couldn't slice it that thin. I put a little butter on it while it was hot, sprinkled a combo of cinnamon, 1 packet of Spenda and Equal, and it was really really good. And sweet. Would probably make good French Toast. Haven't checked for hidden carbs, but I don't think there are a lot, if any. And I'm not sure if I still have the can to do a check now, so if someone wants to do that, it would be great.

Looking forward to trying some of the other Keto products.

IslandGirl
Mon, Mar-04-02, 19:02
Which flavour, Joanie? There's at least 3, I think....

IslandGirl
Mon, Mar-04-02, 19:13
Small bottle, lots of servings in it! 1/2 tsp makes a full glass, it's lightly tangy and has supplemental vits & mins in it. Details at http://www.lifeservices.com/ezStore123/DTProductList.asp?p=3_1_1_0_0_1_90

Overall, I think it's a good thing (and a nice change).

joanie
Tue, Mar-05-02, 12:56
Island Girl, the bread I bought is Keto "Golden Original". My goal was to just have an ordinary type of bread, and this pretty much works. The bread itself didn't taste sweet to me, but when I added butter and AS, it was good. This is the first low-carb bread I have tried, so I have nothing to compare it with. Maybe someone else can try it and tell me if it is better/worse than other choices. Ingredients are wheat gluten, soy protein isolate, egg white powder, almond meal, enriched flour, oat fiber, nonfat dry milk, baking powder, etc. I'll see if I can find out whether there are hidden carbs, but nothing on that list makes me think so...

shellyfell
Wed, Mar-06-02, 22:36
Hi everyone, I've tried three of the Keto breads...the cinnamon raison, french, and sour dough rhye.......they're not bad......actually, the cinnamon raisen bread is pretty dawgun good.....I spread cream cheese on it and I'm a happy camper. I didn't mind the cocoacrisps and milk either since I'm a fruit and cereal nut...The french left alot to be desired. So the icecreams aren't worth the money? That was my next project. I made a screamin' lasagna and a chocalate cheesecake and a New York cheesecake.......ooooohhhhh yeeeeeaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shelly........ :wave:

B_J
Fri, Mar-08-02, 17:24
I thought I'd contribute something to the forum after getting so much out of it. I went on a buying binge online for low carb foods and had a hit or miss experience with most. Here is a bigtime winner, keto pasta shells and ragu cheese sauce.

Keto pasta shells are available on the web (i got it at netrition.com) and Ragu cheese sauce at the local store. The pasta has 4 ECC for a 3/4 cup (dry) and the cheese sauce has 3 carbs for a 1/4 cup. The cheese sauce is the real deal, made for regular tastes, so imagine how good it tasted to me doing LC for over a month. The pasta shells taste a little odd plain, but with tomato sauce or cheese sauce are wonderful. I've had it as a main course with spaghetti sauce and meatballs, but the carb count was a bit high. With the cheese sauce it is a wonderful side dish, I love it with a steak. By the way, the cheese sauce stretched fine for me for 1 and half servings of pasta, so you don't need alot to get the cheese flavor.
Another bigtime winner to my tastebuds are LaTortilla Factory's whole wheat tortillas (3 ECC). They've been covered here already, but I'm here to say they are nearly as good as regular flour tortillas. Tip, Use Red Habanero sauce, its so hot/flavorful that a few drops will spice up your taco without all the carbs of regular taco sauce.

Atkins Muffin's are a mainstay in my house. I've heard other types of muffins mentioned here, but I won't even bother trying them. I've had blueberry and cranberry/apple. 3 carbs per regular, real world sized muffin. There is also a banana walnut that is even better, and its only 2 (!!!) carbs per muffin. Hot muffins with butter, I dare u to miss bread after u eat these.

If you are getting bored with LC, want more variety or just hate green veggies (yuck :mad: ), try these out.

goingfor60
Sun, Mar-17-02, 17:35
I just purchased the chocolate peanutbutter shake and all I have to say is mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I've had it for 2 days consistently and oh it is good. At first I was like meal replacement I dont think so.

Now I have one for breakfast and I am satisfied until lunch time without having any snacks in between. I have all flavors but the vanilla and eggnog. I'm not a fan of vanilla shakes anyway so I'm in no rush for that one and egg nog... thats like breaking a tradition if you have egg nog before thanksgiving, its just unheard of!

But go buy and taste they are great! Thanks to Karen I also now combine my flavors for added variety. Like chocolate&orange, chocolate&banana, strawberry&banana and chocolate&chocolate peanutbutter.

I cant even remember the last time I ate bacon and eggs for breakfast! Yippie.

PS: I also purchased la tortilla factory tortilla's - see my new thread!

Shannon

LowCarb28
Thu, Mar-21-02, 16:36
I bought the Keto golden bread mix, and the pancake mix/muffin mix. I made the muffins first, they were edible, but did have that feeling ans taste of sawdust. I decided the bread would probably be the same so I used it for something else. I added salt, pepper, and a little red pepper and coated catfish pieces in it and deep fried them. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! This is the perfect way to use this mix in my opinion. Each piece had a nice crunchy coating on it. I would buy it again, but only to use as a bredding.

Lisa N
Sat, Mar-23-02, 15:58
Here's the few Keto products I've tried and my reviews of them:

Keto tortilla chips: Don't waste your money. They taste nothing like regular tortilla chips as the package promises. Still...smothered in melted cheese, they were tolerable.

Keto Ketato: NASTY, NASTY, NASTY! Hubby said he's had wood glue that tasted better (don't ask how he knows) I tried it once and threw the rest of the package away.

Keto Oatmeal raisin bars: Wonderful, IMO. They tasted very similar to an oatmeal raisin cookie, but much denser. Great with coffee as a morning snack or as part of breakfast.

Keto Strawberry bars: Also good, but not as good as the oatmeal raisin, IMO.

Keto Bread crumbs, Cajun flavor: Used them to make meatloaf and I can tell you, they definitely have a kick. Next time, I'll use less of them, though, because they soaked up all the meat juices and made the meatloaf dry.

Keto Mac and Cheese: GROSS!!! 'Nuff said.

Keto Fruit Spread: I've tried the grape and the strawberry. Not bad, but for the carbs I think I'd rather have Macadamia nut butter or some cream cheese instead.

Keto Cookies (the pre-made biscotti style): They weren't horrible, but I probably won't spend the money on them again; dry and not very tasty.

Keto Pizza Dough mix: Pretty darn good, IMHO. Hubby even liked it. The dough is somewhat hard to stretch into the pizza pan and I used my bread maker knead and rise the dough, but the crust was pretty good. Consider, too, that I haven't had "real" pizza in about 9 months.

In_Control
Wed, Apr-17-02, 17:48
This thread hasn't been touched for days...but here goes. I'm wondering if anyone has searched the web for the lowest prices on the KETO shakes? I'm having a hard time finding the banana cream pie and choc peanut butter flavors.

Thanks ahead of time.

IslandGirl
Thu, Apr-18-02, 18:42
Try getting on the mailing list of the makers of the Keto products, they REGULARLY send out email coupons which helps bring the price down considerably.

http://www.ketofoods.com

tlawson
Thu, Apr-18-02, 19:28
We just tried the Keto OJ, and even my 6 year old son likes it. It doesn't taste "just like fresh squeezed", but it was still really good - not too sweet. I think I'll keep it around! I might try the Cranberry Kooler - we all like cranberry juice. I like to keep something besides soda in the fridge for my son to drink, and it's a nice treat once in a while.

I have to say that overall I haven't had much luck in trying L/C products - tried the Keto tortilla chips, HATED them. Tried the Just the Cheese - DISGUSTING, sawdust, blech, blech, blech.

I'm thinking of trying a couple of the shakes - more for convenience than because I'm tired of bacon and eggs - I just don't have time in the morning always, and we do have a blender at work! Also, I think I might try the Keto Mac and Cheese, probably with some additions. My son really likes mac, so I wouldn't mind having one that we can all have!

Regards,

Theresa :wave:

IslandGirl
Fri, Apr-19-02, 11:08
Hey, Theresa, I'm looking into carrying most of the KETO food products here, and am working up a products list (not the shakes though, not yet).

Contact me at the usual if you want more info, okay?

In_Control
Sat, Apr-20-02, 07:34
I signed up the email newsletter and I'm looking forward to getting those coupons. Thanks for the info!!!

I finally found Banana Cream Pie and Choc Peanut Butter. However, I was disappointed. I guess I was expecting it to taste like real Banana Cream Pie. Ha.

My favorite so far is the Chocolate Peanut Butter. Just my 2 cents.

tlawson
Thu, Apr-25-02, 13:26
Hello all,

Has anyone tried the new (I guess since March) Keto coffees? They are supposed to be like the International Coffees, but no trans fats, sweetened with splenda, and other "goodies" added. I think they come in Mocha, French Vanilla, and Cappucino. I think I would like to try these (especially to keep at work for a snack or treat), but I would be interested to know if anyone else has tried them first - don't want to waste my pennies on yucky stuff, you know!!

Regards,

IslandGirl
Fri, Apr-26-02, 00:16
My taste test package is stuck in WA or I'd be able to tell you by now! Dang it.

By the way, the sweetener in this product is a blend of acesfulfame-K and sucralose (Splenda).

tlawson
Fri, Apr-26-02, 08:31
Hey Judi,

Let me know about how these taste, 'kay? Also, what else are you getting tastes of? You know I'm looking for some good L/C treats - hopefully the Keto Mac & Cheese, Keto Coffees, perhaps others - not sure. Keep me posted as to how these are and if you will be "offering" them in your co-op.

Regards,

IslandGirl
Sat, Apr-27-02, 18:51
Just keep an eye out for the Co-op bulletins :D

Lisa N
Sun, Apr-28-02, 17:44
Tried the Swiss Mocha thinking it would be something like hot chocolate and wasn't overly impressed with it. It was okay, but not sure it was worth the 5 bucks and some change that I paid for it. I'll finish this jar off and probably not spend the money on it again. I don't miss hot chocolate that much (or sweet flavored coffee, for that matter..I usually drink mine black, no sugar). Then again...tastes are all different. What I think is just okay, someone else may consider delicious.

sbootsy
Tue, May-07-02, 10:49
Just tried something last night. Made the muffins, but instead of adding heavy cream, used 2 tbs. of FIFTY 50 Strawberry Spread and also added 2 packets of artificial sweetener. They were really pretty good. Figured the carbs for each to be 2-3 per muffin.

queenieC
Thu, May-09-02, 19:04
I thought the cappuccino was really good. And it got a little foamy on top, all by itself, which was nice! Maybe they have it somewhere on this site, I don't know. I got mine at lowcarbeating.com - off the home page. Anyway, I give it :thup:

Tanyaskees
Wed, Jun-05-02, 09:43
WOW, hi all, Ijust spend about an hour reading this thread and I thing it is great. I have been looking for somethinglike this for months. Thank you all, I can't wait to try some of these products :p

Tanya

billgwen
Mon, Jun-10-02, 21:18
Thanks KarenB for the reviews. There are so many products on these lowcarb web sites that having this information really helps!
I wanted to share info on a couple of 'regular' foods I've recently found that just happen to be very low carb. One is Johnny Harris BBQ sauce, at .5 (yes, only1/2 gram) carb per tablespoon, which is much lower than most, and priced very competitively since it is not advertised as a speciality lowcarb product. I found it while on vacation in Savannah Ga. (the company is located there), but I was able to finally find it at an Ingles here in Knoxville. It has a little bite to it, like hot sauce. Another good find is Howard's sugar free maple flavored syrup at 1 carb per 1/4 cup. Better than Atkins and very inexpensive, off the grocery shelves at Krogers. Hope this helped, as you've helped me and others.
Gwen

stokepogue
Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:50
I'm restricting myself to 30g of carbs a day and Keto cereal is the easiest and quickest breakfast to put together because of my schedule.

The cereal is kind of an oxymoron though if you inevitably use milk. I dont think Atkins recommends milk at all but then we got this Keto version. What should I use then, water?

I'm not lactose intolerant but I want to be certain that milk doesn't have any glucose.

thanky,

robin

IslandGirl
Mon, Jun-17-02, 21:00
As a long time lowcarber, I wouldn't recommend ANY processed food products on Induction, personally... :nono:

... BUT, that being said (and do have a look in the Introduction and Newbie's Questions Forums, I think you'll find lots of good stuff in there!) most people either use the Keto Milk product or mix up a light concoction of the naturally low carb heavy or whipping cream (or even light cream if not too much) and water and make their own 'milk'.

Hope this helps.

Roe
Sat, Jun-29-02, 10:02
I purchased the KETO Italian Style-Vanilla Nut Cookie. They have a nice tase and are good with coffee. But I only want to warn others to pay attention to the cookie if you do not eat it quick.

I purchased some awhile back ( last month) and I do not eat these things on a daily bases, because the package labeling does not state special storage conditions I placed on shelf with regular food. I took one to work with me the other day when I looked at it, it was molded. The wrapper had no visable opening. I looked high and low for a expiration date and storage condition, but nothing. When I contacted the KETO company I got a simple response back, "of a 30 day money back policy just return to place of purchase."

As consumers we need a little more then just take it back. If this has happen to you please complain to the manufacturer. Request adequate information on the package labeling.

Roe
Sat, Jun-29-02, 10:05
I purchased the KETO Italian Style-Vanilla Nut Cookie. They have a nice taste and are good with coffee. But I only want to warn others to pay attention to the cookie if you do not eat it quick.

I purchased some awhile back ( last month) and I do not eat these things on a daily bases, because the package labeling does not state special storage conditions I placed on shelf with regular food. I took one to work with me the other day when I looked at it, it was molded. The wrapper had no opening. I looked for a expiration date and storage condition, but nothing. When I contacted the KETO company I got a simple response back, "of a 30 day money back policy just return to place of purchase."

As consumers we need a little more then just take it back. If this has happen to you please complain to the manufacturer. Request adequate information on the package labeling.

missatc
Sat, Jun-29-02, 11:21
Hi all,
I just finsished a chocolate Keto shake, pre-made boxed drink. I refrigerated them as soon as they came yesterday afternoon. I drank one this morning for meal #2 and it was very "doable". These will be ideal for the traveling we will be doing this summer. I believe the price through Netrition was around $2 (USD) per box and they come as a minimum 3 pack. I will be trying the vanilla tomorrow and will let you all know of my personal humble opinion concerning that product.

IslandGirl
Sat, Jun-29-02, 16:49
Yup. Just released THIS MONTH from Keto Foods of LifeServices,
www.ketofoods.com
www.lifeservices.com
in Milk Chocolate and Vanilla (so far).

The ingredient list looks very high quality and they should be good!

starchile
Sun, Jun-30-02, 13:20
Hello all!

I just wanted to post this again in defense of the Keto Mac N cheese. I've read several reviews that say that this is a nasty product and not worth the money...before you make that decision I'd like for you to give this recipe a try. I firs thought that this was a gross product but what I realized is that when you are trying to create meals with LC products you have to be VERY creative. It is a rare find that you can just make it directly as it says on the box and expect it to taste good...that goes the same for "regular" boxed food as well, right??? We often have to "doctor" foods to make them taste like home cooked meals...same here.

Anyway, so if you want to give the mac n cheese a try and possibly add a WONDERFUL side dish or MEAL to your options then check this out! :)

follow the directions on the box (it doesn't hurt to boil the pasta about 2 or 3 minutes longer than suggested on the box) but when making the cheese sauce use all cream instead of water, then add:

1/3 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese
1/3 cup of shredded med/shrp cheddar cheese

and one of the following-
1/2 cup of seasoned ground beef (for a hamburger helper taste)

OR

1 small can of tuna and a sml handful of green peas (for a delicious tuna casserole taste)

salt and pepper to taste.

If anyone out there decides to try this PLEASE post your thoughts and let us know what you think!

Peace to all!!!!

Star

Biffy
Thu, Jul-11-02, 19:23
A few people have mentioned that they don't like the Keto Chips...

Ultimate Nachos!

My husband and I fixed them by spreading a bag out on a pan, adding to the top a lb. of cooked taco meat and sharp cheddar thick on top.

Bake it in the oven for a few to melt the cheese and I served it with lettuce & sour cream --

It's not bare bones low carb but it's not too bad. The entire bag of Keto Tortilla chips is about 15g for 5oz. and the 3 of us here finished maybe half of the pan.

It was very tasty.

Enough cheese can hide anything :D

---------------------------------------------------

Shakes & Bars

I **cannot stand** Atkins Bars and most protein bars and shakes that I have tasted to date. They sent me a free box and I swear they tasted like Lemon Pledge smells. I spit it out.

I have tasted every Atkins shake both pre-made & powder. My husband says they are drinkable. I just can't force myself. **gag**

I have not tasted the Keto shakes or bars. We did buy some though.

-----------------------------------------------------

Dessert Stuff

I don't get into the debate about hidden carbs. I treat myself occasionally with these desserts.

Pure De-lite http://www.puredeliteproducts.com/
The De-lite candy bars rock --- All of 'em. Creamy! I use the white chocolate ones in Cheesecake. They also have little "treasures" and bon-bon things that are great. Dark, Milk, Milk Almond, Milk Coconut, Milk Mint, Milk Orange, Milk Peanut, White

De-lite makes a "gummy-bear" animal shaped candy... If you happen to eat these, Have Gas-X or a comparable product handy, cause they will make you STINKYYYY!

The Pure De-lite High-Protein, Sugar-Free Cookies taste like ---protein bars-- I won't buy it again. Bleh!

Daskalides
If you can find Candy Bars by Daskalides you will know true happiness. Belgian sugar-free nummy goodness. My most favorite is the Milk/Coffee ganache filled. They have many flavors (Maltitol sweetened) http://www.daskalides.com/
I usually nibble just one or two small pieces off the bar. It's so rich it satisfies the craving.

Atkins
The Atkins chocolates are fair. I loved them until I found others.

My husband is a Reeses cup nut and I ordered him a Atkins peanut butter cup to try. He thought they were not bad. The peanut butter was not as thick. Creamy (Ya know how Reeses are a tad gritty?)

Atkins also has a brownie mix that I thought had a wonderful texture. Next time I make them I will try adding some nuts or maybe chunk up a sugar-free candy bar into the mix for some variety.

Atkins Cheesecake in Key Lime was very tasty. Expensive though.

Keto
Keto Vanilla Ice-Cream is ok. It tastes kinda Egg-y to me (like a custardy flavor) and not like the vanilla I was expecting. I'd much rather make a regular recipie ice-cream and sub out the sugar for splenda.

I tried a chocolate biscotti thing from them too and it had an okay taste although I thought it was kinda like a stale brownie.

Other
Sugar Free popsicles! 3 carbs per bar. Nice summer treat. I can't remember the brand. I got them at a regular grocery store.

Whipped Cream is a spray bottle is not as bad on carbs as I thought. I put it on top of Sugar free Jello.

We tried the Meringues from Atkins and I thought they were so-so, my husband really liked them.

-----------------------------------------------------
Pancakes, Muffins and Breakfast

Atkins muffins/bread mixes are awesome. I have tried them all. I like the Banana Nut best. Makes a nice Banana Nut Bread too. I have their corn muffin mix to try.

Atkins Pancakes/Waffle Mix - These are beautiful as can be when you cook them. They taste really egg-y too if you follow the instructions. I don't quite know if I like them yet or not.

Atkins Syrup is just nasty brown water with an after taste.

Log Cabin Sugar Free Syrup is buttery and tasty. It lists as 12g carbs.. but those are all Sugar Alchols and as I said before, I don't do the hidden carb debate. I don't eat this daily so dang it, I want taste!

Flax-o-meal Pancakes in Apple Spice. I thought the texture was so-so, taste was good, but I was biased by the awful Atkins Syrup on top. I need to try this again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other stuff

Cheeters Crackers - just... odd I guess. They are making bread and mini pizzas as well, although I have not tried them.

Heavenly Dessets is a no-sugar added cracker I bought from atkins and its very good. I laughed though when I noticed that they are actually a little higher in carbs than Club crackers from Keebler.

Just the Cheese were nasty salty yuckiness - Threw it AWAY.

Low Carb Pasta:
Keto Pasta - Nasty
Due Amici Pasta - nastiness and ugly to boot!
Sugar Busters makes a decent pasta, but it's still higher than most of the "low carb" pastas. If you must have pasta it is the best choice as far as taste.

I know there are alot more items I have tried.. I just can't think of them all right now.

-Biffy

fern2340
Thu, Jul-11-02, 21:49
I got a free Keto Bar w/ my netrition.com order so I picked chocolate fudge. I hate to waste food but after I managed to eat half, I threw the other half away! YUCK! :Puke:

shedevil13
Thu, Jul-11-02, 22:20
Keto Kooler -Pink Lemonade Pretty good, not bittersweet like you normally would get with koolaid. Easy to fix and you can fit the bottle in your purse.

Keto Chips - Plain and Nacho Cheese
I thought these were a great substitute for regular chips. Especially with taco fixings. You can use them to scoop or break them up for a taco salad. Not as crunchy as regular, but still pretty good flavor.

Keto Banana Cream Shake Mix
Just got it. Use really cold water or put it in the fridge for a bit. It taste pretty darn good! and thick and creamy if you use the blender to mix it up. Definitely makes a better shake than Atkin's mixes.

Keto French Vanilla Coffee
Okay, I may have added more than 6-8 oz of water to my 1 tsp. It tasted a little too watery. For 2 carbs, I can make my own coffee with cream and SF syrups. Not worth the money!

Keto Icecream Strawberry
I didn't have an icecream maker for this, so I stuck it in the freezer. Scooped it out when it was like a slushie. Pretty good flavor and it will work in a pinch for something sweet. I'm gonna have to invest in an icecream maker!

I know this is the Keto Forum, but I do love the Atkin's Blueberry Muffins. Almost too much, you have to be careful and freeze them or share them! ;) I also love the capuccino shake mix. It is wonderful mixed with a bit of Designer Chocolate Protein Powder. I also like the Atkin's Hazelnut Syrup and Raspberry. The regular Atkin's Pancakes are pretty good even with the syrup and they freeze well. My kids didn't care for the Atkin's Pancakes and syrup, so I make their batch regular and make my batch! Best of both worlds.

Atkins' Endulge bars were the best until I found Carbolite chocolate bars and Pure Delite! Just to reward myself every now and then :D

Thanks a bunch hope this helps.
Hope this helps.

Biffy
Thu, Jul-11-02, 22:53
Hrmm I forgot Keto Spread...

I tried the Plum on a little bit of home made cheesecake... NUM and low carb bread w/ cream cheese & a tad of this is nummy.

Tried Keto Coffee Swiss Mocha and it was watery. Added some extra & a little whipping cream and it was a tad better.

Tanyaskees
Fri, Jul-12-02, 07:57
I love the atkins capuccino mix too. Mix in the belnder with some heavy cream and ice. Then add a peice of dark chocolate delite bar and blend more. You get these frozen dark chocolate chips in your shake.....mmmmmmmmmm....so good.

GatorGal93
Fri, Jul-12-02, 08:22
KETO SHAKE BANANA CREME PIE:
Great! I definately prefer it in a blender with ice and cream.

DR. ATKINS BARS (any):
They taste like chalk (although I haven't tried chalk lately).

KETO CARAMEL BAR:
Yummy!

KETO SMORES BAR:
Yuck. Like an Atkins bar.

KETO PIZZA CRUST:
Very good.

kmarie1351
Sun, Jul-14-02, 13:14
I wholeheartedly agree with everyone who says that the Atkins bars are horrid... I tried the brownie one the other day and spit it out. And that's saying a lot... I can usually stomach anything. Tasted NOTHING like a brownie. I'm afraid I can't post specifically what it tasted like, as it would be vulgar.

On the other hand, the CarboLite bars are AMAZING. Just the perfect little nip after a meal to satisfy my sweet tooth. Creamy, chocolaty, and sweet (but not too sweet). They're blissful. :daze:

Karla
Sun, Jul-14-02, 20:47
I have tried the Keto ice cream mixes and they were all quite good. The Orange Dreamsicle tasted just like those orange creamsicles Good Humor makes and we liked it a lot.

We also liked the vanilla and chocolate flavors.

The only change I made to their directions was using all heavy cream instead of 1 cup heavy cream and one cup skim milk (yecchh and more unnecessary carbs). The ice cream is easy to make, too; I like making my own custard ice cream, but not when it's 85 degrees! :eek:

The IC is very creamy and, while it does become hard in the freezer, if you let it sit in the frig for awhile or put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes on low, it is still creamy.

Karla

Lunula
Mon, Aug-12-02, 10:48
After a weekend of cheating (*sigh*) I decided to try the Carbolite Chocolate Almond bar because I just needed some chocolate! I was surprised they were so good... nice consistency, no "sugar-free" aftertaste, great with the almonds added in and only 0.2g net carbs! It's not as great as eating a real melt-in-your-mouth piece of fine milk chocolate - but it satisfied my craving - so I'm HAPPY! :roll:

Also, someone above mentioned the sugar-free popsicles... they are the "Popsicle" brand and I agree, they're really good!

I'm also looking for the sugar-free Fudgesicles and sugar-free Creamsicles (my grocer doesn't carry them) - not sure of the carb count on them, but worth checking out.

**EDIT**
Found another post here regarding the hidden carbs in the Carbolite bars... so sad! :tears: I'll definitely save these for one of those "I must have something sweet, the craving is not passing and I'm going to eat a pan of brownies" moments! lol

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53554

kmarie1351
Mon, Aug-12-02, 11:27
I am not known for spitting things out, but after I baked a golden brown loaf of Keto Bread last week, I nearly hurled. It was the most disgusting thing I've ever attempted to eat. :Puke:

Biffy
Mon, Aug-12-02, 12:24
The brand is Popsicle you are quite correct! Good Humor-Breyers is the maker. There are 2 flavors - Regular (Orange, grape and cherry) & Tropical

Sugar-free Fudgesicles and sugar-free Creamsicles non-existant from that company! I have coveted the no-sugar added variety on many occassions.

No-Sugar added Fudgesicles (Serving Size 2 Bars, 1.75 fl. oz. each) are 17g Carbohydrates with 1g Dietary Fiber

No-Sugar added Creamsicles are much better at 6g of Carbs (no fiber) while the regular ones have 18g (Serving size: 1.75 fl. oz)

I don't know why they list the serving sizes like that - 2 bars for one and 1 bar for the other. Maybe they are packaged like that as well.

----------------------------------

OH.. and Keto brownies have the consistancy of a kitchen sponge! Nasty nasty! Go for the Atkins brand. Much much much better texture! I don't think I screwed up the Keto ones when I made 'em either.

Atkins Corn Muffins were ok... I screwed up in that I put the muffins in the oven and looked over to realize the oil that was supposed to be in the muffins was sitting on the counter in the measuring cup :rolleyes: They were better than I thought they were going to turn out though.

Keto Koolers in the Cranberry brand was a big waste of alot of money in my opinion. I'd rather buy -15- 2ltr bottles of Diet Rite than waste it on the Keto powder.

dizzy
Mon, Aug-12-02, 12:50
Does anyone know of any low carb hard candy (like mints?) or gum? Something to get this awful taste out of my mouth throughout the day. Ugh . . . Thanks!!

Biffy
Mon, Aug-12-02, 12:58
Ice Breakers Mints are 1 carb each mint according to the 3 pack listing. There are lots of sugar-free gums in the grocery store. Health food stores also sell some as well as Atkins website/catalog.

dizzy
Mon, Aug-12-02, 13:04
Thanks! I noticed my favorite, Altoids is less than 1 carb each, but the main ingredient is sugar. I'll just not indulge too much.

kmarie1351
Mon, Aug-12-02, 13:23
Wouldn't sugarless gum do the trick? Or does it have hidden carbs?

dizzy
Mon, Aug-12-02, 13:43
Most of the sugarless gums I've looked at have 1 to 3 carbs per stick, which isn't bad if not chewing the entire pack. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Sleemie
Thu, Aug-15-02, 14:06
Anyone have any experience with the keto milk? I like cold cereal, and there seems to be a number of lc cereals, but what good are they if there's no lc milk?

wabbit99
Fri, Aug-23-02, 00:49
Hey folks,

Was wondering if anyone had actually gotten the Keto Quick bread mixes to actually do the rising effect that they talk about on the can. I know that I didnt mix it for longer than 15 seconds, yet the bread still didn't rise. That being said it still tasted really good and is something I will buy again if I can get the darn thing to rise......

BM

cheez whiz
Mon, Sep-09-02, 18:21
A little to sweet for my taste. Only eat when warm after that not good. Would not buy again.

shutt22
Mon, Sep-16-02, 09:13
I recently purchased some KETO LC products from their website (KETO Canada in Brampton). I must tell you, I had a bad experience with almost all of them. Here's my summary:

Pizza Dough - Not bad (7/10). When mixed with tomotoes, meat, and cheese its quite bearable.

Bread Mix - Completely inedible (0/10). I checked the instructions several times to make sure I had prepared this correctly. I threw the whole batch in the garbage. It falls apart in your mouth and is too dry to even swallow. No taste, and a texture similar to sponge.

KETO bars - Horrific (1/10). Hard to get down. I had the smores flavour and it tasted like cardboard. Actually, I would have prefered cardboard. I find that a brand called "Strive" from Bio-Chem taste best, and I have tested several. Nitro-tech is really the best, but has more carbs; ideal for a meal replacement though

KETO Chocolate Pudding - Almost bearable (3/10). Looks nothing like it does on the package. You really need to add extra cream, so its not worth the bother. Just stick to Maltitol products like "Woodies" for a small endulgence. These are fantastic, and about 1.5 grams per stick (excluding Maltitol).

KETO Bread Crumbs - see KETO Bread Mix...it's the same crap, just partially chewed for you.

KETO Ketchup - ? They haven't shipped it yet! I'm sure it'll be okay.

I paid $88 bucks for all this, and it was a big waste of money. I do recommend the Pizza Dough, but at 7 bucks CDN a pop, it's a little pricey.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had similar experiences with KETO. Also, has anyone tried Atkins brand bread mix. I want to try it, but its almost $20!!

Your comments are welcome.

Shutt22
Ottawa

IslandGirl
Tue, Sep-17-02, 02:40
Shutt, I've tried many of the same products, and I will point out that all truly low-carb products (I think sugar alcohols are pretty borderline, they are low-glycemic but in MY opinion, they are NOT low-carb), especially mixes, that are 'substitutes' will cook up differently than the 'normal' product that caused us problems in the first place... and 4 years of LC tells me it takes a bit of practice and patience to work with alternative ingredients, too, instead of the cheaper sugar and flour of the 'normal' foods.

I found the bread mix, for instance, when left to sit (rather like the classic quickbread loaves) a day or 2 in the fridge, improved in taste and texture considerably. I also have developed many recipes and can assure you that the moisture-binding properties of sugars and starches are very hard to duplicate.

Finally, these kinds of products are intended to be treats, rather than staples. I approach them with caution, personally, and with altered expectations.... and I EXPECT the dollar value for protein to be higher.

barefoot1
Tue, Sep-17-02, 13:34
I just read through this loooong thread :daze:

and didn't see any reference to Keto Sweet. It is advertised as a granular form of Splenda but without a carb filler (maltodextrin I think that is?)

Anyway, I've been mixing sweeteners lately since I find that straight Splenda has a cloying aftertaste. (for example, in a recipe I use half Splenda, half Stevia)

I was excited to find this product since it appears to be carb free.

I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has used it - it would almost appear to have the same appeal as liquid Splenda, no?

Thanks, barefoot1

Baconbabe
Wed, Sep-18-02, 15:27
The keto products out weigh EVERY other lc product I've tried...they are awesome...and unfortunately Dr.Atkins low end over priced products are CRAP..i couldn't believe how gross some of those things were!

Anyways, I buy Keto EVERYTHING and love it all!

Flaxie
Thu, Sep-19-02, 14:19
On the Keto issue..... when I owned my lowcarb store, people either loved the Keto stuff or hated it. Most people didn't like the chips at ALL. Same with the macaroni and cheese. But their shakes are the best, IMO.
I still haven't tried their cookies....although I hear that the new ones are really good. Someone told me the Pleasantville Cookies were even better....anyone tried them??

Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee

Marie_D
Sun, Sep-22-02, 06:04
I'm going to be on the road a lot over the next month and I'm trying out some products for emergency "dining". None of these beat real food, but for what it's worth here are some reviews:

Keto Cookies - Lemon Nut - Like a very dry biscotti cookie. It's edible but only just. The ingredient list is really good, no chemicals!

Keto Bar: Carmel Nut Crunch - I actually liked this pretty well. It is moist and sweet. I was surprised that there was no coating but it wasn't a problem. Tastes of the added protein but is quite doable and filling.

Pumpkorn: Original Flavor - This I really liked but of course it is basically a real food - pumpkin seeds with spices. They are delicious at 2 EEC per 1/3 cup. I think I'll need to prepackage them in serving sizes because I think I could down large amounts without knowing it.

More soon ...

P.S. I have the Keto shakes every morning for breakfast. I haven't tried any others for comparison but I haven't gotten tired of these yet.

Marie_D
Wed, Sep-25-02, 03:23
Now I've tried out the La Tortilla Whole Wheat Low-Fat Low-Carb tortillas. This won't come as any surprise to the old pros around here, but they are really great! I had them as a substitute for blinis (with sour cream and caviar, yeah!) at a family get together and they worked admirably. I keep them in the freezer and heat 'em up in the microwave. At 3 effective carbs per tortilla, I can now occasionally have "sandwiches."

Yesterday, it was the Keto Chocolate Peanut Butter bar. This is amazingly good, though a little too sweet for my taste. I refrigerated it before eating it. There is a bit of acetone-like quality to it, but nothing too serious.

Marie_D
Mon, Sep-30-02, 08:05
It's me again. I feel ridiculous replying to my own posts but the site won't let you edit after a certain period goes by. I'm still trying out some things and hope these mini-reviews will be of some use to somebody.

Keto Cookies and Creme Bar - This was the BEST YET. I ate it cold and it reminded me a lot of chocolate chip cookie dough in a thin chocolate coating. I really, really liked the thing - almost too well! It has no sugar alcohols but plenty of glycerine, i.e. lots of carbs (identified on label) that may or may not cause cravings or stalls in some people. If you can net the 14g of glycerine out, it winds up as 4g of delicious carbs and 24 g of protein. The bar also contains 600 mg of glutamine peptides, and maybe for that reason I found it satisfying over a several hour period.

Biochem Strive bar - Mixed Berry Crunch - This was not for me but it's not too bad. It has a crunchy filling (soy nuggets and "strawberry nuggets") surrounded by a strawberry icing. It was way too sweet for my taste. I was pleased that there was not an overpowering soy taste, however. Biochem shows only the "net carbs" on the label so you would have to do some math to find the hidden carbs. It does contain sugar alcohols.

Baconbabe
Mon, Sep-30-02, 11:12
Went to Lifestyles Market yesterday and loaded up on my Ross bars :D

If you haven't tried them..you have no idea what you're missing...they are BETTER then Purdys chocolate..if i had the choice between 'real' choc..say Purdys....and the ross bars...I'd pick Ross :) :) :)

:roll:

Marie_D
Thu, Oct-03-02, 01:17
Da Vinci Blueberry SF Syrup makes the best Italian Cream Soda yet (syrup + carbonated water + heavy cream). It even tops the orange variety which was my previous favorite.

I also tried out the Daskeliedes SF dark chocolate/raspberry cream bar. It is absolutely decadent and I think it would easily "pass" as regular luxury Belgian chocolate with unsuspecting sugar eaters. It is full of maltilol of course. I found that a couple of small squares lifted my spirits without any sugar rush. YMMV.

Marie_D
Sun, Oct-06-02, 04:50
It's just me again.

Last night I tried the Biochem Ulimate LoCarb 2 bar in French Vanilla Bean. Why do they make these things so darn SWEET? It went down OK anyway. Has a thin yoghurt coating and 20 g. of hidden carbs which aren't identified on the package -- there are 3 g. of "regular" carbs advertised on the label. I much prefer the Keto packaging where they clearly tell you what you are getting. Not a repeat purchase but not a yuckkk either.

I also tried the Low Carb Conossieur salt-and-vinegar pork rinds. If you like salt-and-vinegar potato chips, you would probably like these as well.

Finally, I've already used up the package and can't remember the brand name but I ordered a pesto paste from King Arthur awhile ago. It has only 3 g. carbs per tablespoon and it's concentrated so a little goes a long way. I find a little rubbed onto my chicken before roasting really jazzes it up. This is not a "diet" product but I can wholeheartedly recommend it. They say you can mix some with cream cheese for a dip. I haven't tried it but I think that would be delicious.

IslandGirl
Sun, Oct-06-02, 19:50
Originally posted by barefoot1
...and didn't see any reference to Keto Sweet. It is advertised as a granular form of Splenda but without a carb filler (maltodextrin I think that is?)

...I was excited to find this product since it appears to be carb free.

I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has used it - it would almost appear to have the same appeal as liquid Splenda, no?

Thanks, barefoot1

Well, no, actually. I responded to your almost identical post in the Liquid Splenda thread, BareFoot1, but I'll repeat the gist of it here. The Keto Sweet is LIKE the Splenda in that it's spoonable, but it ISN'T sucralose (the active sweetener in Splenda). It has no carb filler, indeed, because it uses a crystalline form of glycine (an amino acid, and mildly sweet) as the filler or carrier for the active sweetener, which is acesulfame-K. This information is readily available on the www.ketofoods.com website...

It's a somewhat concentrated sweetener product, with 1/2 tsp (2g by weight) per serving to be roughly equivalent to 2 tsp sugar in sweetness. It comes in a 122g container so that should hold a good 60 servings, as it says on the label (doesn't look like much, about the size of a vitamin bottle, but to keep it in perspective here in Canada the BOX of Splenda Granular weighs 110g).

I find it tastes fine, seems not to have an aftertaste much, though I found a 1/4 tsp or a half-serving PLENTY sweet enough for a large cup of coffee. Haven't tried it in cooking so can't verify if it's heat-stable, but the label says so.

shutt22
Fri, Oct-11-02, 20:37
I composed a post a couple of weeks ago after purchasing several products form keto foods canada, out of Brampton. I would like to provide ya'll with a little update.

I found most of the food (bread mix, pasta, bread crumbs, pudding mix, pancake mix, low carb bars) to be disgusting. I don't think its just a question of personal taste; if anyone really likes this stuff, they need new taste buds.

I called the company to complain to some dude named Tony. He was very understanding and even said he would send me some free samples and gave me a couple of cooking tips. I later followed up by e-mail....two times....and I am still waiting for a reply (and those free samples).

I recently re-purchased the Keto "Ketchup", and the Pizza Mix (this IS pretty good BTW). Although I was reluctant, I do enjoy these two items. When I placed my order, I mentioned to Tony AGAIN that he promised me free samples. Two days later I received my package, but with no samples. He also ignored my most recent comments.

The moral; DON'T BUY FROM KETO FOODS CANADA. If you like this stuff, buy it from the Oshawa store, or somewhere else. If someone can give me a suggestion as to the best place to purchase my pizza dough and ketchup in the future, it would be appreciated.

I refuse to give these idiots any more money. They have to learn that customer service counts.

thx.
shutt22

"If you're not angry, you're not listening"

IslandGirl
Sat, Oct-12-02, 14:05
As I think I've said before, lowcarb products often require practice and particular cooking techniques, being TOTALLY different in composition and chemistry than "normal" cheap filler sugars and starches.

However, all that aside, if you somehow now are in a bit of an adversarial relationship with Tony of Keto Foods Canada, over the lack of some free samples, and still want to order only specific products, do the sensible thing... call the toll-free 866 number they provide on their Contacts webpage, ask for Steve (just for a change for you) and ask them to provide you with the name of a retailer near you (as described on their Store Locator page), as their main focus is supplying retailers and they are supplying end-users (like you) in the interim until more stores get stocked up.

That should help you resolve some of your issues.

You could also check out the LowCarb Local Support::Canada forum here, and see if any fellow Canadians have noticed Keto products popping up anywhere near you.

puma_power
Wed, Oct-23-02, 10:53
I wanted to respond to a couple of things I saw on this thread.
1) someone asked if there is a low-carb milk. There are some plain soymilks that are low-ER carb than dairy milk; I also found a recipe somewhere--I forget where, it may have been in the recipes section of this forum, but I don't think so--for "milk" made by mixing heavy cream, water, vanilla extract and a bit of salt, and chilling it to a very cold temp. I am too lazy to do this, so when I need milk for this low-carb granola I have, I just mix about a Tbsp. of cream with probaby 4 times as much water. It works fine. Using too high a ratio of cream makes me kind of gag, though, so be careful! I guess it's prob. a matter of personal taste, but some combination of cream and water will bring the right texture and decent flavor.
2) whoever said, why do all of these SF products have to be so SWEET--I have thought this many times. I basically just avoid any kind of "bar" now. Most of the time they have hidden carbs and are not even worth it, and they just make me crave the real thing. AND they are ridiculously overpriced--I resent being exploited like that.
As for low-carb pancake, muffin, etc., my Mom tried making bread for me with Atkins mix once and it was disgusting. I'd rather never have bread or bread products at all than use such a offensively lame substitute. I have not bothered to try any of the other Atkins mixes. In fact, the only Atkins product I use is the vanilla or maple flavored syrups, to sweeten my flax cereal in the morning. I agree with whoever called his products "low-end and overpriced." I think it's sad that he exploits low-carbers like that. I mean, I have no problem with his making money in the process of providing products that make people's WOL easier--but he'd make plenty of money even if his products were more reasonably-priced, PLENTY

puma_power
Wed, Oct-23-02, 11:03
If you like Altoids, Starbucks mints are a good, Sugar-free option. They are made only with artificial sweeteners, and they are also even stronger than Altoids!

IslandGirl
Thu, Oct-31-02, 02:54
KETO Milk and KETO Chocolate Milk, mixes. Made with milk and whey proteins and added nutrients.

Taste like milk, have the nutritional profile of milk (calcium, etc.) and DON'T taste like soymilk :devil: thank goodness!

Very nice. Excellent on hot or cold cereal or anyplace you just don't WANT to use cream.

Catmom
Thu, Nov-07-02, 17:07
I tried some of the keto products and some were good and some nasty.

Bars - The only one I find palatable is the blueberry cheesecake and actually that one is pretty good - very sweet but real blueberry flavor. Count me out on oatmeal raisin, cookies and cream and smores. I threw those out.

Ketchup - Better than Heinz. I never likes anything but Heinz before but I would like Keto ketchup even if I didn't low carb!

Italian Breadcrumbs - Am a bit ambivalent on this. They had a bit of that soy flavor but I added lots of oregano to it and it covered most of the flavor up. Allowed me to eat fried chicken with DH - a compromise food.

I know this is Keto but have to comment on these other products - they are winners.

Cheeters Cinnamon Bread - You must try this one. Really really good

Todd's 1 carb bagels - Actually the whole bagel is 2 carbs. No soy flavor and a big bagel with bagel chew. If you want something fast in the morning I do a half bagel with a sausage patty and melted cheese on top. YUM! Don't want to mislead you though - the flavor is kind of like a 7 grain bread.

Baconbabe
Thu, Nov-07-02, 17:12
Oh those bagels sound delicious! Gotta find some of those :) Thanks for the tip! I just bought the ketchup today..i'm glad its good! :)

LBDropper
Wed, Nov-20-02, 13:09
Has anyone found any bbq sauce that was anywhere near Kraft tasting?

Skamito
Sun, Nov-24-02, 20:06
Well, after buying Keto Mac & Cheese and THEN reading this thread, I was indeed a bit wary. But per the suggestion to tweak it a bit, I actually found it quite edible. I made it with four tablespoons cream, chedder jack cheese, and ground beef. It made a pretty decent casserole-type dish. And INCREDIBLY filling. All that protein, I guess. The actual macaroni didn't stand up (it became a mush) but tasted fine. I'm used to eating weird messes on low carb (mock danish... hello?) and this was not the worst by far.

Giving my okay rating on this one! :)

steph z
Sat, Nov-30-02, 23:06
My favourite Keto products are the biscotti (biscotti are big here in Toronto - (lots of Italians here, and I love biscotti)) - especially the nut ones and the chocolate chip ones were very good. Biscotti are supposed to be eaten with coffee - dipping, that is. Or otherwise thought of as stale cookies (to dip) - but not really stale, but rather dry, dry. (double baked)

I really love the Ketato mix - I only tried the potato pancake recipe (I hate real mashed potatos, anyways) and found them to be incredible. I brought them to work (non low carbers, the lot of them) and they did not believe they were low carb. About 1 g of carbs each. Even better with 14% BF sour cream.

I love the vanilla RTD shakes - really filling. Better tasting than the chocolate.

The nuts are all great - well I only tried the almonds and the pecans.

I enjoyed the taste of the Keto chips, but find the texture to be off. Kinda like what cardboard would taste like.

I really loved the Keto cereal. It reminds me of rice crispies. And a break from eggs!

Hope this helps.

:spin:

Stephanie from Toronto

freydis
Sun, Dec-01-02, 16:50
Carbolite Toffee Bar - Ok, considering it's hard to get toffee, but not the best of the candy bars. Splenda sweetened, zero effective.

Endulge PB cups - decent, though I like the mini cups from Russel Stover better. 2 effective carbs. I'm not sure if I like the recipe from this site better or the same as the Endulge. In either case, I still prefer the RS brand.

Pure De-lite Chocolate bars, various flavors, better than average. carbs differ according to flavor. I like orange & dark best.

Sorbee Fine European Chocolate bars. Very low carb and it does have a European chocolate flavor, but I didn't really care for the peanut flavored one. 2 carbs for the entire bar.

Nestle Signatures Turtles, Sugar-Free, Pecan - good, though I like the Russel Stover brand better.

Atkins NEW & IMPROVED bars - MUCH better than the old Atkins bars, though there are still only a few I like. I like the Peanut Butter and Creamy Berry Cheesecake flavors.

Keto Ice Cream - We make it rarely, but we like it. However, we think we might be able to do better with our own recipes.

Marie_D
Mon, Dec-02-02, 03:54
These things are dangerous but SOOOO good. They come in about 6 flavors: vanilla, chocolate, triple treat (vanilla, marshmallow, chocolate), rocky road (chocolate with nuts and marshmallow), vanilla almond, and vanilla pecan. They are twice the size of a regular caramel and come in at about 1 carb (not including the maltilol) and 60 calories per candy.

They are made with real butter and cream. I like the ones without nuts the best, but that's just me. I honestly think these are better than a regular Kraft caramel. They come 8 to a bag and are available at Low-Carb Connossieur (sp?) and other low-carb shops (but not netrition) on-line. Would make a good Christmas nibble or gift.

I have also tried Judy's SF peanut brittle and coconut-almond brittle. They are not quite up to the sugary variety IMO but are also quite good.

Linnea
Thu, Jan-09-03, 11:01
I tried this bread mix yesterday for the first time. It is great!

I added one extra teaspoon of yeast, but not sure if it really made a difference as I've never made it before without the extra yeast. It doesn't rise quite as high as it should, but not a little lump of bread either.

It does taste soyish, but I think I've gotten used to the taste of soy since starting this way of eating. If you don't like soy, you won't like this. But I tell you, I bought a toaster yesterday just so I could have a nice piece of cinnamon raisin toast for my breakie.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but one thin slice seems to do it. It's not like after having a bit I want more (like a chip, or real bread)...one peice, smothered with butter is plenty.

Yay for Cinnamon Raisin Bread!!!

Linnea

mizholly
Fri, Jan-17-03, 11:05
I've seen alot of "press" on the new Keto Spaghetti, but no "real-world" feedback. Anybody tried it yet?

Holly :roll:

Linnea
Fri, Jan-17-03, 11:24
I don't know about the new spagetti... but if it's anything like the Keto Elbows w/White Cheddar...

BLECH!!!! :thdown:

Linnea

IslandGirl
Fri, Jan-17-03, 13:05
Actual reviews are really appreciated here.

The Keto Spaghetti is just released in the US this month. Canadian retailers are a little behind the ball in getting access to it but we're working on it.

I'll test-drive it and report back here as soon as I can get my mitts on it.

mizholly
Fri, Jan-17-03, 17:28
Thanks Judi - if I get to it first, I'll be sure to post my review too.

Stay well!

jmemmer
Fri, Jan-17-03, 17:32
We bought some of the KETO brand new spaghetti last night and are going to try it for dinner tonight. I'll let you all know our experience with it tomorrow. (I'm hopeful - the folks at Low Carb Luxury Newsletter gave it rave reviews....but I'm still a little skeptical I guess.)

Jane

meigg
Thu, Jan-23-03, 18:54
I wanted to say that I just ate the Keto Spaghetti for dinner, and LOVED it! What I noticed right away was that it smelled like regular pasta while it was cooking. Then when it was done I tried it without sauce, and I didn't notice any difference in taste or texture. It looks darker than regular - more like wheat than white. I added about 2 tbs. of alfredo sauce, and it was great! I honestly can say I didn't notice a difference.

If you are craving pasta you might wanna give it a try...

Thanks for listening!
Meg

jmemmer
Fri, Jan-24-03, 11:17
We also tried the new KETO spaghetti and loved it. It is very close to the real thing. We hadn't had spaghetti in 8 months! It also reheats well. (Doesn't get all soggy) We put leftovers (yes there are leftovers even from a 8 oz package.... it's very filling...you don't pig out as I feared we might) in plastic container with auce and it was delicious for lunch the next day. I'd recommend it.

We're thinking that it would make great baked pata and cheese...would give us good Chinese possibilities as well....sort of a lo mein thing with low carb veg and meat.

Anyway all we can say is Way To Go KETO!

Jane :wave:

martham
Sun, Jan-26-03, 19:11
Hi,
I am getting ready to place an order for some lowcarb things and would like some ideas on what you like and don't. I would like to order basic cooking items,like ketcup,,bbq sauce etc.

Any input would be appreciated. The lower carb the better

Martha

mizholly
Mon, Jan-27-03, 09:03
http://forum.lowcarber.org/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&threadid=27282

mizholly
Mon, Jan-27-03, 09:06
Sorry about that - another case of hitting the wrong button!

:blush:

Holly

Flaxie
Mon, Jan-27-03, 16:19
Hi Martha,
If yu browse some websites like netrition and carbsmart and locarb diner you will find tons of good lowcarb products to choose from. All 3 companies are reputable and have reasonable prices. Hope this helps.....
Julee

CarolynC
Mon, Feb-03-03, 17:47
I just tried the new Keto spaghetti. Like the other posters, I loved it! It's very filling and tasted like regular spaghetti. I'm ordering order right away.

mizholly
Mon, Feb-03-03, 18:03
Thanks everybody!

We'll be trying Keto Spaghetti soon, thanks to all of you.

We just found out that one of our favorite LC supplier is opening a retail outlet in a mall nearby - Yippee!!

More product reviews to come as available.

Stay well and stay LC!

Laura-Lyn
Fri, Feb-21-03, 01:06
Sigh! I hope Keto starts shipping to Canada again soon. I have a ton of Keto products I'm dying to order. Unfortunately everytime my friends or I e-mail Keto Canada we are told they will start shipping again in two weeks. They have been saying that for the last 4 weeks. It's like that scene in the 'money pit' where everytime Tom Hanks asks when the contractors will be done fixing the house they reply "two weeks". Frustrating! :(

IslandGirl
Fri, Feb-21-03, 20:32
Yup, we stores and retailers are just as frustrated. We got royally hung up with customers in the middle of orders when the whole labelling thing blew up...

:devil: dang. dang. dang. dang. dang.

saintj
Sun, Feb-23-03, 23:51
Hi all,

I've been reading through the posts and laughing about the reactions to the commercial products. The manufacurers should read this forum!

I've been low-carbing for a while and finally decided to try some of the commercially available products for LCers. Yuck - was my reaction fo most of them. The nacho Keto Chips are not very good - the regular corn chip flavor Keto Chips were actually rancid. They are going to be winging their way back to Low Carb Connoiseur because the expiration date is not until April 2003! I think I would rather go without than deal with these products.

I did try some Keto hot cereals and they weren't bad with some tweaking. I do actually like the Atkins Pralines and Cream bars although I worry about the hidden carbs. I agree with most of you about Atkins low quality/high price products. Sorta takes away any good feelings you might have about the man. I don't like feeling as though I'm being exploited.

There are only two products that I really like and always have around. The first is the Mudslide Mix from Low Carb Connoiseur. This is a mix of coffee, Splenda, flavorings, etc. I use it in Canfields chocolate soda with some half and half and it's pretty darn good, but then I'm a coffee addict.

The other is the product I mentioned in the subject heading. It's called Cakeability from Expert Foods and available from The Low Carb Connoisseur. It really does turn nut flour into "cake". Today I made some muffins flavored with almond - I used Da Vinci Amaretto syrup instead of 1/4 of the liquid - added a large tablespoon of cheesecake batter ( cream cheese, sour cream, eggs, Splenda and almond extract) to the batter after filling muffin tin about 1/3 full - then added more muffin batter on top to about 3/4 full. Oh yes, then sprinkled toasted almonds on top and baked for 30 minutes. My husband liked them better than "regular" muffins. Better than Perkins. Oh and I forgot - I threw in a 1/2 cup of the Keto oatmeal cereal mix instead of a 1/2 cup of almond flour.

I think the secret (for me a least) is learning how to cook a whole different way and not relying on the commercial products. I do appreciate the personal reviews though, because sometimes there is a "keeper".

Expert foods at http://www.expertfoods.com makes three more products that I'm going to try - one is a starch thickener that you can use to make crackers - a sugar thickener and a cereal thickener. They also make a variety of dessert products and if they are perform as well as the Cakeability, I will be a happy camper.

I think my next purchase will be a bread machine, because, in spite of the fact I love chocolate, bread is what I miss the most and low carb bread just too hard to get and too expensive. I did find a couple of very good loaves at Synergy's web site, but mail-order is just too cumbersome for things like bread. Chocolate, yes, bread, no. I would appreciate any receipes that anyone would like to share.

Thanks again for the smiles.

Diane

BTW, I opened a Wordpad screen while I was reading the posts
and cut and pasted excepts from the reviews that looked promising. That way I can just print out the parts I want and not the whole message.

lhill
Mon, Feb-24-03, 00:45
hi
ive used the atkins bread mixes in my bread machine and they were really good. My husband and i liked them better than the fozen low carb bread. So far i have tried the country whitemix and the sourdough mix and we have been happy with both. They have 3 carbs per slice..
i found the mixes at our local top food store, a chain like safeway ect.
linda

LadyBug555
Wed, Feb-26-03, 16:45
Keto Cookie mix.........where the rubber meets the road!! These things were awful, I think dog biscuits would be better. :Puke:

Teuthis
Wed, Feb-26-03, 16:55
The only such things I use are the "Keto Crumbs" for frying, and that Thicken/No Starch for sauces. I must have sauce. haha. And those only on occasion. That stuff is too expensive, and non-essential in my thinking. I looked at the Atkins bake mix and the shake mix and those relatively small cans were about $20.00 each. I can buy five chickens for that money; perhaps six, since I rarely buy anything not on sale. [really].

I recommend that we all eat as naturally and simply as possible. Atkins lets us do that; and I thoroughly enjoy cooking that way.

Good Luck!

jude
Wed, Feb-26-03, 17:03
Thanks for the tip, Ladybug. I haven't tried any of the "franken" foods, because the whole idea reminds me too much of plastic cheese and vinegary salad dressing from the old low fat days.

jude

LadyBug555
Wed, Feb-26-03, 21:41
I had bought some stuff from a site ad on here, mainly for my husband as he has reached goal. The tortillas were AWFUL. The hot cocoa is good. I haven't tried the bread mix yet.
The Keto Oatmeal was good but expensive

LindaC6724
Thu, Feb-27-03, 14:40
The Atkins Ready Made Shakes that come in the can are absolutely delicious (all 3 flavors).

Give them a try...you won't be sorry :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

IslandGirl
Thu, Feb-27-03, 19:45
Carbavoidr, you MIGHT get a response to your question if you post it out in the main Products forum instead of in here in the Product Reviews "thread"... with a subject line something like "Keto Sherbet Mix - anyone tried it?"....

Just a thought.

SIG: Products Moderator

a1canoer
Sun, Mar-02-03, 20:56
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just made a loaf of the bread machine Sourdough Rye by the www.ketofoods.com company and the only bad thing about it is; IT TASTES SOOO GOOD! :)

I did make a mistake with it though. I thought I had set my bread machine to rapid bake but put it on quick bread. Difference in time.

So I let it mix, rest and knead in the machine and then took it out and greased a large bread pan, backed it at 350 degrees for 27 minutes.

It got nice and golden brown. It did fall a bit when it cooled but still was over the top of the large pan.

I marked 16 slices with the edge of a knife (otherwise my DH cuts way too big of pieces!) and cut off the 'heel'.

Put whipped butter on it and OMG! Chewy like real homemade bread, good rye flavor (though I would have liked a more sourdough taste). It is a light rye and I'm planning on having a great sandwich with it later on today! :p

LovableLC
Sat, Mar-08-03, 00:47
Keto Shakes were horrid! I had banana creme pie and I felt sick after because of the taste. I wouldn't feed this to my dog.

Keto Ketchup was wonderful just like Heinz I'm in love! Atkins banana nut muffins were great too! Felt like I was cheating and they made me feel so full! And lost of fiber. These two products are a winner even for a picky person.

Christy P
Tue, Mar-11-03, 23:44
Okay just want to warn everyone just how NASTY the banana "muffins" are. They are dry, disgusting dirty sponge tasting things. They practially ate through my muffin pan and were just plain disgusting.

Sorry, can't say just how gross they are!! I won't try another KETO item! :Puke:

You know people always tell me: "tell us how you REALLY feel!" LOL!!

Tedmom
Tue, Mar-18-03, 09:29
I usually can't stand most Keto products because I find that they have a horrible aftertaste. However, I recently tried the new Banana Nut Keto Cereal and it was out of this world! Although it seems to make a really small portion, I added a small pat of butter and two teaspoons of cream and was shocked how good and filling it was. A great alternative to the usual bacon and eggs for breakfast.

rwaters
Thu, Mar-20-03, 20:22
I was soooo excited when my Keto spaghetti came yesterday. I haven't had pasta since Jan. and was dying for a change from meat. All the reviews said how good it was and how their family really liked it---just like real spaghetti.

Well.....

My DH took one bite and quit. He said it was like cardboard and he couldn't get rid of the taste. My oldest son said it tasted like cardboard, but he ate it anyway. (He's 15 and eats everything in the house). My youngest wouldn't give me a rating. I was gone when he ate. I assume he ate his portion, but he was fixing something else when I got home. (He's 12 and eats whatever the oldest hasn't gotten to). I didn't think it was all that bad. Very spongy and a slight cardboard taste, but edible, but then again, I can eat most anything.

The question is...Did I not cook it correctly or is 2 1/2 months not enough time for our tastebuds to forget what real food tastes like?
I boiled the noodles with a little olive oil for 6 minutes. The sauce was homemade and was DH specialty, so that wasn't the problem. This is the first pasta product I've tried so I have nothing to compare it to. :confused:

rwaters
Mon, Mar-24-03, 20:28
:roll: I had plenty of leftover spaghetti, so I put it in the frig. I had some for dinner two days later and was surprised at how good it tasted. I mentioned it to DH and he said he had some for a snack and agreed it was much better the next day. I think I'm going to make it up a day in advance and then reheat it for our meal.

IslandGirl
Tue, Mar-25-03, 18:38
It's been my experience that a LOT of these products taste better if allowed to "rest", the pasta, the breadmixes, etc.

VickyRenee
Thu, Apr-03-03, 14:58
Anybody eat the Keto Nuts? They are so good. The hidden carb calculator says there are 7 carbs in a serving though.......anyone stall from eating these?
Vicky

jedswife
Mon, Apr-21-03, 11:44
i like the keto nuts - almonds are really good. i have also tried the keto biscotti and they are pretty good nice to have a change.

la tortilla factory low carb tortillas are excellent!!

the new atkins crunchers (like chips) are pretty good but can be expensive. i pd. 2.50 US for a 1oz. bag.

just the cheese are very good but very rich.

atkins now makes already made frozen ice cream - now in freezer sections of stores - it is just like the recipe and is not bad at all, pretty good in fact.

all in all they are making all of the low carb products better and better. i notice a lot of products previously made by atkins have been improved and they are much better.

C-u-lean
Wed, Apr-23-03, 22:07
I tried the Keto Spagetti. The first time I made it with chicken alfredo. and I couldn't choke it down. A friend said they had it with spagetti sauce and loved it. So I tried it tonight, and it was pretty good! I guess I won't be throwing it out after all!

FabMarta
Thu, Apr-24-03, 08:02
These are so good- they are for sale at the Walgreens in the US. VERY GOOD. They have Pecan Clusters with Caramel and Chocolate- about 2 carbs each. They ARE SO GOOD!!!!!
Walgreens also carries Carbolite bars and candies, but these seem to affect me adversly. (The sugar alcohol affect, if you know what I mean.) Try the Russell Stovers Sugar free- They're delish!
fm

Angel66668
Tue, Apr-29-03, 22:49
Anyone try the Atkins pudding-

We ordered it and it was nasty-

Flutterby
Thu, May-01-03, 01:29
This is an answer to a prior post from "Martham" (did I spell that right?) about condiments. Here is the items I have tried, liked and continue to use:

Walden Farms Ketchup : Excellent taste, like del monte. No sugar, no carbs
Walden Farms BBQ Sauce Original : Pretty good, kinda sweet. Also comes in honey BBQ, and Spicy - have not tried. Also no sugar, no carbs.
Walden Farms Chocolate Syrup : Pretty good, also a little too sweet but good on low carb vanilla ice cream (atkins). No sugar, no carbs.
Walden Farms Pancake Syrup : Excellent. No sugar, no carbs.
Atkins Teriyaki Sauce & Marinade : Pretty good on chicken. 1 g net carbs per 1 Tbsp.
Atkins Rasberry Syrup : Great in my decaf ice tea instead of a packet of splenda. It's pretty sweet though, so you only need a splash for an 8oz glass of tea. 0 carbs
Arrowhead Mills Creamy Valencia Peanut Butter : Excellent if you were a peanut butter fan before (like me :rolleyes: ) and miss it. 4 net carbs (6 minus 2 for fiber) and 1 g sugar per 2 Tblsp (as apposed to 7 g carbs and 3 g sugar for Jif).

All of the above items I purchased at Low Carb Mall store. Pretty much anything by Walden Farms is great. I would trust them first for any condiments before Atkins.

Here is some other items I have tried and have or have not cared for:

Atkins Bread Mix Country White : Excellent, Excellent, Excellent. I made it in my bread machine and it came out great. Tastes great w/butter and toasted w/my arrowhead mills PB (I only use a tbsp though for 2 grams carbs!). Each 1/2 inch slice is 3 net carbs.
Judy's Sugar Free Caramels : OMG! Someone posted earlier about these and they were right! All flavors are excellent and they are big caramels. 1 g carbs per caramel.
Carbolite Candy Bars : All the carbolite bars are great. I especially like the crispy caramel and the peanut butter. Contains maltitol though so be careful!! They range from 0 to 3 net carbs.
De Lite Candy Bars : These are also great and similar to carbolite. They range from 0 to 4 net carbs.
Atkins Advantage Bar Chocolate PB : The only one I like! I use them as a quick work snack about 2 times a week. 2 net carbs.
Biochem PB Bar : I only have one thing to say about this bar: :puke: !!! If you want to live don't eat this! I will never try any of their other products after that incident!

I just purchased my first Keto product today - Keto Crisp Cereal. I haven't tried it yet. I also bought some Vitasoy Unsweetened Soy Milk to try w/it. I'll let you know. I have also purchased the Atkins Banana Muffin mix, Atkins Pancake mix, and Atkins Choc Choc Chip muffin mix but have not tried them yet (I am just now coming out of induction and haven't had a chance to try all my purchases yet). I will let all of you know. I do plan to try more Keto products since almost everyone is praising them! This is a great and informative thread!! Thanks everyone!! :wave:

Flutterby
Thu, May-01-03, 01:32
Ok..........what happened? I meant to say :Puke: about the biochem bars. Sorry!!

2much2g1
Thu, May-01-03, 15:00
I just recieved my Ross variety pack from www.lowcarbfooddepoy.ca I placed my order yesterday and It arrived today...amazing for Canada Post! Anyway, I ordered a few things but so far I have only tried the mint chocolate bar.I was a little afraid and just broke off a tiny piece..just incase it was horrible.I couldnt belive how good it was.Just like the real thing.I cant wait to try all the flavors...There are 10 and the package has 1 of each for 17.00 Canadian.
I am thinking that these could be used to make some other yummy treats... ;) :thup:

2much2g1
Thu, May-01-03, 15:03
I am soo happy with them.I have tried the green onion flavor and its great.Great texture.Keeps for 6-8 weeks in the frig and can be frozen.I paid 5.00 for a pack of10.I would eat them even if I wasnt LCing. :thup: :thup: :thup:

Flutterby
Fri, May-02-03, 12:09
Ok everyone, I tried the Keto Crisp cereal yesterday and well, umm...... :Puke: I wouldn't feed it to my dogs! Oh well, you win some you lose some. I threw it away.
I tried the Atkins Pancake Mix just now for breakfast (w/a slice of Atkins toast of course - yum!) and it wasn't bad. But it wasn't delicious either. They are a little dry and gritty (like buckwheat pancakes) but I ate them. With butter and a lot of Walden Farms Pancake syrup (yum) they were ok. There's quite a bit of mix so I will probably be able to get a couple more breakfasts out of it. They didn't suck enough to throw away so I'll make the rest eventually. I am going to make pancakes out of the Atkins bake mix next and compare. I was reading the recipe and it sounds more tasty. I'll let y'all know!
Bye :wave:

lperk002
Sun, May-04-03, 13:09
and I have been diligently trying some each week. Here are some reviews:

- KETO Ketato Mix - They're not your grandmother's latkes ...so if you try the pancake recipe with that expectation, you will be disappointed. In fact, I found nothing about the flavor near "potato," and I do think that if you mixed up a batch sans spices and parmesan cheese the ketato pancakes would be not fit for human consumption. That being said, I think my batch needed more spices - I'm thinking some garlic, fresh pepper, red pepper and more parmesan might have gone a long way to covering up the LC telltale protein taste. But, they were incredibly crispy. The mouthfeel, for some reason, made me think "low quality deep fried and breaded mozzarella cheese sticks" (???), but I thought "Hey, these little discs might make a darn fine mock eggplant parmigiana!" When you consider that 4 cakes have 4g ECC and a whopping 60g of protein, these are one hearty side dish. We ate ours with buttered/Sunkist Almond broccoli and a small salad. My daughter really liked them. These are definitely going to need some doctoring, but a decent side dish. The powder itself seems as though it is fairly tasteless, so you might be able to do a curry cake, a "stuffing" cake w/ celery, onion, sage and sausage - ( I'm thinking :yum: with roasted chicken)... I think your options might be pretty wide open... They are going to take imagination, but I think they are very doable for long term LC-ers. I don't think newbies will be able to accept some of the limitations that come with processed LC products. And I don't think you would be able to serve these to non-LC's and get a great reaction.

- KETO bar (smores flavor) - a little too sweet, but the lack of a chemically, vitamin taste makes it easy to overlook that minor taste issue. Plus, they have CLA, glutamine, plenty of protein and fiber. Fiber is one thing that kept me with Atkins bars.

- KETO hot cereal (banana nut flavor) - yummy, and fairly good mouth feel. Add a little butter and cream and this stuff is quite good. Not as "healthy" tasting as Flax-o-meal. The banana taste is strong and the chewy bits really add to the overall satisfaction factor. Again, high in fiber and protein - I wish I had found this stuff during the winter as hot cereal doesn't hold much appeal during the summer - but admittedly would make a great post weights snack.

- KETO shake (cappuccino flavor) - a little whey protein-ish tasting (anyone who has had WP will understand this) and the overall flavor is a bit weak. But the consistency is fabulous. Thick and creamy - and this was following the "add water and mix" directions. I did not add any cream. I wish the flavor was richer (and I might not buy this flavor again as it is very similar to my dregs o' the morning pot and protein powder concoction) but it is much better than the Atkins cafe au lait flavor (RTD).

- KETO shake (Banana Creme Pie flavor) - I am truly surprised that I liked this. I made it with 2oz of heavy cream and 6oz of water + about a 1/4 cup of crushed ice. I whipped it up with the hand blender and it was fairly tasty. None of that tell tale whey flavor like the cappuccino mix had. This might be a good use for coconut milk, too. Or some cocoa powder. The best thing about the Keto shake mixes is the consistency. I am looking forward to trying their chocolate - maybe even the vanilla...

- KETO Bar Cookies and Cream - This might be better named "Raw Cookie Dough" - if anyone around here ate cookie dough ice cream during their HC days, you will know what I mean when I say "This bar has grit!" - sort of like munching on grainy sugar. Overall, I find Keto bars entirely too sweet! If you guzzle a big glass of cold milk this bar would be right on, but since you can't, I say avoid it. Of course, this bar also has the underlying protein/vitamin flavor that they all seem to have, but if you can tolerate other bars that probably isn't an issue. I have two flavors of Atkins Advantage bars that I find palatable, and since I only use them in emergencies, I think I will skip trying anymore Keto bars. Plus, they are more costly at $2.50 a piece vs. $1.99 for Atkins bars.

Returning your attention to the cappuccino shake, it is much improved with a few modifications (2/3c. of h2o, 1/3 c cream, 1/2 tsp of good unsweetened cocoa, about a 1/2 c crushed ice and a 1/4 tsp. of instant coffee). It is rich, thick, and delish. Has anyone ever had an Arby's jamocha shake? It's almost like that. Blows the banana creme outta the park (and that flavor was oddly good). The cappuccino mix has 190 calories (pre-modifications) and 1g of ECC. Next week I'm trying chocolate, vanilla or peanut butter twist... The shakes qualify as a meal replacement, and are a nice change of pace from eggs for breakfast. Great to have a canister at the office... some water from the cooler and a hand blender, and *whew* you dodge the carb dispenser bullet after lunch.

One interesting thing about the KETO foods is the inclusion of CLA and glutamine peptides. While this claim from me is not scientifically supported, I have enjoyed a slow steady loss over the week + a few days that I have been using KETO foods. Generally, I am a major scale bounce person. You knwo I have to lose every pound 3 or 4 times before the buggers get the message...I hope that this steady downward trend continues...

HTH you spend your money wisely.

dobiew2
Wed, May-07-03, 17:11
hi.. not sure if this has been reviewed but i bought the ketopasta...ugh.. it is sooooooo bad .. nasty nasty nasty beige plastic like pasta.. what a disapointment :(

Froggirl
Wed, May-07-03, 22:02
I find the longer I LC the more appealing some of this stuff gets....but I see a senior member using the puke face...I am running from it!!!HAHAHAHA I REALLY have had a hard time downing some of the stuff I have purchased...Then it goes to waste...I have to say a couple of pages ago when I saw LC mas and cheese...I felt sick to my tummy! EWWWWWWWW

Karen if you are still following this...I appreciate your humor!! You had me rolling a couple of times!! :D

LindaC6724
Thu, May-08-03, 07:45
I think they are very good, but there are hidden carbs in them, use the hidden carb calculator on this site and check it out for yourselves.

jedswife
Thu, May-08-03, 10:21
Slender Brand Ice Cream made by Splenda is out now. It appears to only have 15 carbs per serving and is FULL FAT.

haven't tried it yet but im getting it today.
but they have many flavors and it looks good.

TamRN
Wed, May-14-03, 19:19
I'm from Canada and recently spent a week in Florida. I have to say that you Americans have the BEST selection of low carb treats. I bought a bag of Reese's peanut butter cups SUGAR FREE! Only 1 gram of carbs per piece so I have 1 a day. Also your candies (ie. cream savers) are carb free!

We have none of that here and I find that I crave hard candies during the day while I'm working, so needless to say, I stocked up my suitcase.

Sure wish there was a store on this side of the border that sold brand name, sugar free treats. Even carbo-lite bars are super expensive and hard to find.

georgie113
Wed, May-14-03, 19:27
Bulk Food Barn has those chocolates in Windsor. i just saw them today but I have heard that the sweetener in them is not very good. I forget what it is now...not maltitol. They have three kinds of chocolates there. Reeses and Hershey's I think. They also have the Sorbee chocolate bars with Maltitol but that chocolate is not very good. The best is the Ross that I order from Toronto. Belgium chocolate. I was only going to have one piece a day but I just can't stop at one so I have a half of a bar. I'll have to hide them on myself. LOL The hard candies are at Walmart. I haven't tried those.

TamRN
Wed, May-14-03, 19:44
Hey thanks Georgie. I've been so busy scouring health food stores, I never even thought about the bulk barn. I looked at Walmart though and all I found were lifesavers with nutrasweet.

Where in Toronto do you order from? Do they have other products? And how many grams of carbs in those Belguin bars?

Tam

georgie113
Wed, May-14-03, 21:41
The bars range from 2.9 to 3.9 carbs for the entire bar. The bars are small and expensive but well worth it. I first ordered from lowcarbfooddepot.com and then I saw them cheaper at torontodirect.com. Toronto direct is a bit deceiving because the price is in U.S funds but she sent me an email telling me what it would be in Canadian. It works out to $1.50 a bar if you buy in large quantities. 36 or more. You may as well because you have to pay shipping.

I forgot to tell you that I also bought some vanilla and some chocolate Chapman's no sugar ice cream at Zehyr's today. It is so good that my husband likes it and he isn't doing low carb!! I bought an ice cream maker last week. I hope the ice cream that I will be making in it tastes as good as the Chapman's.

georgie113
Wed, May-14-03, 22:01
Another thing, both those on line stores carry other products as well so check them out.

jknepfle
Mon, May-19-03, 10:59
I just got some of the Pierre's slender ice cream, and I calculated about 7 gm of carbs...am I miscalculating? I think it's like 15 g of carbs - 4 gm of fiber - 4 gm of sugar alcohols = 7 gms of effective carbs. Am I off somewhere?

campbanana
Tue, May-20-03, 08:40
Has anyone tried the Keto ice cream with the recommended addition of glycerine? I just ordered some food grade glycerine and was wondering if it improved the texture.

Froggirl
Tue, May-20-03, 20:16
K.....Glycerine to ice cream?????? Why? What is the texture of low carb ice cream? Adding slime sounds yucky...Anyone have exp. with this?

campbanana
Tue, May-20-03, 22:05
The ice cream practically freezes solid. It is as hard as a rock. Glycerine is not slimy at all. It is actually sweet tasting. It supposed to soften the ice cream.

I have used it before in recipes for homemade power bars. It keeps them from getting hard, helps keep them chewy and moist.

As a matter of fact, there are around 16 grams of Glycerine in the Keto bars.

Froggirl
Wed, May-21-03, 05:02
Ohhh. I learn something new everyday!!! :wave: thanks!

campbanana
Wed, May-21-03, 10:21
While I'm waiting on the glycerine to try the Keto ice cream again...

We've been putting the Carb Solutions ready-to-drink chocolate shakes in the blender with lots of ice, eating it with a spoon and calling it low carb ice cream. Pretty good actually. We split it so it's half the carbs for each of us. I really don't like the shakes plain because they are so sweet.

I tried the Keto Shells and they were disgusting. I didn't even eat them after the first taste. I figured at 5 carbs a serving, I'd rather not.

Reading the reviews here has convinced me to try the Keto Spaghetti but I was wondering if it taste like the shells?

I tried the Ketatoes. Mashed are not that great unless you cover them with up with butter, cheese and bacon. The hash browns and potato pancakes were yummy though.

I didn't like any of the Keto bars except for the Chocolate Fudge. It kind of tastes like a Chocolate Slimfast to me.

None of the Atkins bars were that great either except for the Chocolate Peanut Butter. It was the only one that really tasted anything like real peanuts.

The Keto Blueberry Pancakes were good but fairly thin and not very fluffy in my opinion.

I tried the Atkins Bake Mix pancake recipe and those were good but too many carbs for me. I ordered some carb-free bake mixes to try instead. I plan to substitute blueberry syrup for the vanilla syrup and see where that leads.

I didn't like the Keto Crisp cereal or the Keto Frosted Flakes at first but they are growing on me. I use Keto milk on both of these. I don't like the taste of real milk at all so I thought the Keto milk was perfect.

Keto crumbs, all flavors, are excellent for frying but a bit mushy when baking. If you bake on a wire rack instead of the pan surface they do a little better in the oven.

I tried 10 different Walden Farms products and didn't really like any of them. I guess I missed the mark on my order because everything I picked tasted like cardboard. Which ones are good?

queenieC
Wed, May-21-03, 11:50
I'm really happy to see that the Low Carb General Store is now a supporter of this site... just saw the banners on here today.

I've ordered quite a bit from them, and other than one of the spice mixes, which my husband is allergic to, we've loved everything from there.

The Gluten bread is really good toasted, and they sell their cookies in little 3-packs which my husband uses as breakfast in the car on the way to work.

The Pastalia pasta is the ONLY low carb pasta we ever liked. and we've tried them all! LOL

and their cookies, pancake mix and bake mix are all awesome and full of fiber. They do have a lot of fat, but it's mostly good fat from the almonds. They don't use maltitol or any of that in the baked stuff, so it doesn't stall us.

anyway, i don't ususally post, but i thought i tell the admins thanks for adding the link.

queenieC :wave:

campbanana
Wed, May-21-03, 12:00
The Low Carb General Store? Can you post a link?

queenieC
Wed, May-21-03, 12:04
this is the one that gives this site credit, i think:

http://store.pleasantvillecookiecompany.com/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=PCC&Affiliate=lowcarberorg

i see the banner on the right of my screen on this forum.
maybe they rotate it ?
i dunno about that stuff.

anyway, that is the link that they are using, so it's only fair to give that one so the admins get credit to support the forum.

hth

queenieC

campbanana
Wed, May-21-03, 12:12
Thanks so much. My Internet Security program must be blocking the banner ads. I don't see any on this page.

mizholly
Sun, May-25-03, 17:44
Greetings all and Happy Memorial Day!!

The link for the "Low Carb General Store" is actually Pleasantville Cookie Company - here ya go!

http://store.pleasantvillecookiecompany.com

Happy Shopping one and all!

Every Onward,

p.s. Keto Spaghetti is to die for ... in my humble opinion. The other Keto pastas are marginal at best. Remember, it's all about the quest!!

queenieC
Mon, May-26-03, 02:42
see the &Affiliate= code at the end of the one I posted?

I'm fairly sure that's how the admins here get credit when you buy! So that's why I posted that one.

:D

LadyBelle
Sun, Jun-08-03, 22:03
I recently tried these Shakes, and loved them.

The flavores I found here were Dark Chocolat,e Chocolate Fudge, and Strawberry Cream.

They are good to mixed with a little cream, or I will mix the chocolate with coffee. They are also alot cheaper then the Atkins ready made shakes. They have 2g effective carbs. You have to read the lable carefully because the new ones list 2 carb, and 2g fiber, but there's a small note stating Fiber was left out of carb count. So still 2g ECC.

I have Atkins Shake Mix. Tried it warm, nasty. I mixed 1 scoop with whipped cream and it was good. The second and third time I tried this I didn't refridgerate it for a while after and it made me nausous.

The other use I found for the shake mix was I mixed it with ground flax seed and egg for a great pancake mix. They looked and tasted like Buckwheat pancakes. Even my SO who is not LC'ing loved them.

STALLQUEEN
Wed, Jun-11-03, 11:57
I agree, the keto pancake oringional is very good, all the syrups are ridiculously priced, but here they have a splenda sweetened maple syrup in the grocery store called sorbeys, 10 times better than keto syrup , im ouit of pancake mix, want it again... its an occasional weekend treat....

kati
Fri, Jun-13-03, 02:19
Keto has revised its chips assortiment. The flavours are the same. the packaging is new and the taste and texture has been improved. Hm, I am curious!

satihap
Fri, Jun-13-03, 08:48
i'm curious too= i'd rather buy thsee then the atkins because atkins actually has DEXTROSE in their ingredients...hello? dextrose is SUGAR.

LadyBelle
Fri, Jun-13-03, 10:26
Whipped some of this up making a double batch. It says to use half a scoop, so a double batch is just alot easier. I put in 4Tbsp of Heavy cream and 6oz water.

The color is nothing like that on the front of the package. First bite had that soy/protien bar taste that is yucky. After that it wasn't to bad.

Ok, but not a must get.

Angel66668
Fri, Jun-20-03, 14:27
Just ordered Keto ketchup-I love it!

Got the steak sauce too-not bad, haven't tried it with steak yet.

potatofree
Fri, Jun-20-03, 22:20
I've had some good and bad experiences with keto products. I'm a fan of their hot cereals :thup: I add a bit more water, and "re-nuke"it for a few seconds before eating.

The Ketato mix was NASTY :thdown:

The bars are okay, especially compared to other brands (Promax Lean Protein literally made me GAG!) I enjoy the lemon chiffon and oatmeal raisin Keto Bars.

Also a :thup: for the ketchup, fruit spreads, Keto chips (NOT the Keeters!) and the cinnamon raisin bread mix.

:thdown: for the muffin mixes...(Although now that Atkins has "improved" theirs by doubling the carbs and raising the PRICE....) The Keto mix made a rubbery, dry hockey puck.

Also didn't care for the pasta, although I'll try some of the hints posted, the chocolate milk mix was kind of bleh, IMO

I guess now that I'm learning to bake more "from scratch", I worry less about finding good mixes, but I will pout for awhile about Atkins ruining theirs.

lperk002
Sat, Jun-21-03, 07:23
Yes, they look like Frito Lay's Tostitos brand tortilla chips - right down to the little black "grill" hash marks - but that is where the resemblance ends. If you look more carefully, you will notice the chip has a waxy, translucent look to it - not typical of HC tortilla chips. Granted, this has something to do with the minimal inclusion of mesa (corn) flour, I'm sure. Hmmm, take a bite. Yes, there is soy in there, but it isn't too terribly wretched. However, I might mention to the folks at KETO that a sea's worth of salt is not necessary to flavor a plain chip. Goodness are these little chippies salty. I had to drink 32oz. of water just to restore my mouth's fluid balance... now of course some of that could be due to soy notorious "saliva snatching" properties, but I attribute it mostly to the salt.

These are not terrible right out of the bag, but throwing on some LC nacho toppings and running 'em under the broiler might improve them even more.

Taking nearly $3 (US) out of your wallet for a 1oz. bag of chips leads me to think that these probably won't become a staple. But they do have 12g of protein and 8g of carbs (4 fiber) and enough fat content to give you those well loved "greasy chip fingers."

I've got the Carb Sense Soy Tortilla on deck, so I will head back here with a comparitive review.

Hope this helps,
Lisa

flower
Sun, Jun-22-03, 12:15
Need your opinions on Keto Sweet. :wave:

I am plannig to order Keto Sweet to use for baking and cooking, since Splenda adds too many carbs if I use more of it.
I searched the forum for info but was not successful, (lots of good stuff for other Keto products though ) found no health warnings on the internet either.

Does it taste like the real thing when used for baking and cooking ....I mean good and sweet like Splenda? Anybody experienced or heard of any side effects?

I have been using liquid saccharin ...yak......(even though the safety is debatable) for pancakes in order to not add additional carbs thru the sweetener, that stuff doesn't cut it though when it comes to taste.

Would Keto Sweet be the 0 carb way to go :q:

thanks
flower

LadyBelle
Sun, Jun-22-03, 13:00
Is it a liquid? If it's a powder it may use the same fillers splenda does which ads carbs. You might try your local health food store or online for liquid stevia. 0 carbs. Apperintly it can have a bitter after taste if you use to much. (My bottle claims no after taste). I also have a cook book that uses powdered mitol and other sugar alcohols in baking because of the texture I think.

There is also a thickner that replaces the texture of sugar. It is tasteless and not sweet so you can use your own sweetner such as splenda, it just lends the texture of actual sugar to the recipe.

flower
Sun, Jun-22-03, 13:13
Keto Sweet is a powder, according to my research is has no fillers that add carbs. Ingredients: Glycine ( an amino acid), acesulfame potassium and natural flavor.
Supposed to be a natural tasting , zero carb sweetener without an after taste. But my saccharin says that too...LOL.
Liquid Stevia, good idea, never tried it.....I do have the packets though.
:roll:

flower

EvenLower
Wed, Jun-25-03, 12:42
Woot Woot
I just found a health food store right near my house that carries over 100 keto and atkins products.
anyone reccomend any keto products?

mnbooger
Wed, Jun-25-03, 13:00
There is a section of this forum dedicated to Low carb products.
I think there are reviews for about 95% of what is out there.
There are stickies at the top with some of major brands(keto,atkins,etc), or you can search for specific product names for other items.

LadyBelle
Wed, Jun-25-03, 13:05
Many people rave about the KETO spiggetti. I like the cereals :)

I also have keto milk and potatos I havn't tried. I did make the keto pudding. It was icky the first bite, but good after that.

marian29
Wed, Jun-25-03, 14:00
The oatmeal is to die for! I use the plain (unflavored) version. It's rich and creamy, and the soy gives it a wonderful nutty flavor.

jiskiyan
Wed, Jun-25-03, 15:48
Hi.

I think the Keto spaghetti is decent. Let's face it, there isn't a LC pasta out there that tastes the same (or has the same texture) as the regular stuff. BUT, this stuff is the best I've tried. It's weird, too, because their Shells are nasty. But the spaghetti isn't bad at all.

Also, if your new store carries the Keto Cookies (ready made) they are really good. They are actually biscotti and the chocolate are yummy. They are very much like traditional biscotti and are dry, but great with coffee to dunk.

I've tried other Keto products, but haven't been impressed. However, I've heard the cookie and brownie mixes are good so I'm going to give them a try.

Happy shopping!

Jill in Phoenix

NoniJuice
Wed, Jun-25-03, 16:37
I just tried the Keto Crumbs today ( the original). I fried fish with them and it was REALLY good! I am going to try frying chicken this weekend. :)

Karla
Wed, Jun-25-03, 17:26
The only Keto product I've tried is the ice cream mix and it is delicious! It's easy to make and terrific on a hot day when you have to have ice cream but you don't want to stand over a hot stove making custard. I've tried the chocolate, vanilla, orange creamsicle, and coffee flavors - DH and I liked them all.

Karla

missraisin
Wed, Jun-25-03, 17:56
Has anyone tried keto-sweet? Claims to be zero carbs, but I don't want to buy anything without a review!

cheez whiz
Wed, Jun-25-03, 18:17
try the keto shakes powder mixed with Divinci Syrup. The keto shakes mixes I like are Banana, French van, and Capp. These taste like ice cream. The Cajun Bread Crumbs are great.

I did not like the hot cereal Oatmeal or the Lemon and peanut butter keto protein bars.

catlinc
Thu, Jun-26-03, 13:11
I haven't tried it, but it is glycine, which is not counted as a carb. The other ingediant is a perservative I believe. Glycine, like sugar alcohols, can create stalls if you eat too much or are senstive to it. But it is an amino acid, a building block of protein.

potatofree
Thu, Jun-26-03, 23:22
Tried it, like it! A little goes a looooooong way, though, so use sparingly.
There's no aftertaste to speak of, although I still prefer Splenda. (Darned maltodextrin in that making it "naughty")

I've also tried Diabetisweet, but am wondering about the maltitol problems I'm reading about :q:

The more I learn, the more I realize I DON'T know! :mad:

potatofree
Sat, Jul-05-03, 23:00
I re-checked my label and found that Diabetisweet is Isomalt, not Maltitol.. Is that better or worse for lc?

lperk002
Sun, Jul-06-03, 14:14
Now this is a LC product that needs no apologies for taste or texture! These little spreads are really good and there is nothing about the taste that gives away their LC status. Trust me, even your non-LCers aren't going to spot this product as a diet food (my 3 year old loved it). The serving size is 1 tsp, which seemed a little scant to me at first, but they are so flavorful that I doubt you would need more to make a wonderful addition to your mock danish, smoothies or LC PB&J. I've only tried the grape, strawberry and raspberry - but each flavor was great. There is also a berry blend type flavor and a blueberry.

For the fine print: These spreads have 2g of carbs for each serving and are sweetened with sucralose (10 calories, no fiber, no protein). Of course since they are real fruit, they also contain fructose. For people with very sensitive blood sugar issues, that is something to consider.

Overall, these are a great addition to a LC pantry - delicious and versatile. I have to give them :thup: :thup: !

potatofree
Sun, Jul-06-03, 15:31
I've tried the blueberry..YUM. I've tried a spoonful in whipped heavy cream on my lc waffle..heaven!

catlinc
Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:34
I checked a little tip sheet I keep for sweetners, and it said that isomalt was the same as malitol for it's laxative properties.

Here is the rest of the info, take it to mean that if you are nervous about stalling, then count sugar alcohols in part. I don't know who came up with this, but see if it works for you:

Sugar Alcohol Carb Safe Side Guidelines :read2:

Count 25% to 30% of the carbs in maltitol, mannitol, isomalt, and Xylitol.

Count 80% carbs listed for sorbitol; 65% carbs listed for hydrogenated starch hydrosylate (HSH)

Count 50% for lactitol.

Count only a trace for erythritol (clearly the winner here)

Then there's the CYP factor.

Again, erythritol is the winner, as the only polyol that does not cause gastric distress or laxative effects.

Lactitol is the worst with mannitol a close second. Having only 20 grams of either in a day, or as little as 4 grams in an hour can (and usually does) cause a noticable laxative effect.

potatofree
Mon, Jul-14-03, 11:56
I found a way to make Keto milk a little more palatable. I mix it ahead of time in a rubbermaid-type 1 qt bottle, and refigerate it at least overnight before using. A dash of cream helps the flavor as well.

BIZZYGIRL
Sat, Jul-19-03, 21:19
Thanks for all the product reviews. I will be buying by first Keto products tomorrow at the store. I cannot take one more morning without cold cereal. I am willing to brave the milk!

I have had good experiances with some of the products so far. I like the bars, most of them so far. My one bad experiance was a bar called Cool Cappaccino I picked up at Whole Foods Market - The 'coffee' taste
came from actual GROUND COFFEE. Surprise - ground coffee tastes exactly like coffee grounds.

As far as bad taste goes, I remember all to well the taste of the many a cheap Wal-Mart cookie I ate. If I am compromising taste, atleast there is no cellulite to go along with it.

As for the shakes, my husband got one sip thru the first chocolate shake before out came the blender and 1 packet of splenda and a touch of heavy cream later and he was finally content to drink it.

Me, I need to put a little heavy cream in them to kill that chocholate and water (Slim-Fast-ish) taste.

bvtaylor
Wed, Jul-23-03, 20:21
I've figured out a system of enhancing the Keto Golden Original Pancakes. When you are making the 3 pancake serving, add one egg and about a heaping TBSP of flaxseed meal, and sprinkle with cinammon or nutmeg.

This makes them extra fluffy. Extra egg is a wonderful LC addition to LC bake mixes.

To give the pancakes :read2: an orange flavor with an additional nutrition boost, add 1 dry tsp of Ket-O.J.

KarenMT
Sun, Aug-03-03, 12:27
Hi,

I haven't seen the following products mentioned in this thread, so thought I'd bring them up.

The first is a breath mint called Blitz Sugar Free Powermints. It is made with Splenda and comes in several flavors. Nutritional and other information can be found here: http://www.deepdiscountnutrition.com/blitpow.html

I love 'em!

Another produce my husband and I tried this weekend while on a road trip and needing a sweet fix is the Baskin Robbins hard candy (found at Wal-Mart). I bought a package each of the Fruit Medley (Strawberry, Orange and Raspberry) and the Mint Chocolate and we enjoyed every flavor. My hubby commented that it seemed amazing that something that tastes so good could be a "diet" candy.

The package lists the following:

TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE 15 GM
Sugars 0
Isomalt 15 gm

A serving size is 4 pieces.

Now...it says the candy is sweetened with Splenda, but it contains 15 gm Isomalt. I don't know what that means, but I do know that's 0 net grams carbs for us! If you haven't tried them, do!

Karen in Montana

Jeepgirl74
Mon, Aug-11-03, 12:15
I'll second the fact that the Ketato mix (I had the bacon/chive one) was completely nasty. You're better off making the mashed cauliflower w/ heavy cream.

AngHB
Thu, Aug-14-03, 00:19
Hello all,

Here are some of my opinions on LC products that I recently tried.

LeCarb Icecream-Chocolate Almond, after putting it in the microwave for 10 seconds the taste and texture was just like regular icecream. They definitely don't skimp on the almonds. I also tried the Vanilla and Cinnamon, again good texture on both but taste wise they didn't stand out for me.

CarbSlim Bites in Peanut Butter-Milk chocolate coating outside of a crispy Crunch like candy shell with a nice mild peanut butter flavor center. The size and shape are similar to Whoppers candy.
These were really good and can get very addiciting! Thank goodness these aren't made with Maltitol, otherwise I would have had my normal stomach upsets when eating LC chocolate candy.

Keto Ketchup-Taste and texture is just like Heinz ketchup, just a bit sweeter.

Carbsense Tortilla Chips in Pico de Gallo-These were a bit grainy, after adding shredded cheese, green onions and salsa I couldn't really tell.
So far these are the best tasting LC tortilla chips I have had.

Just the Cheese-These were too salty to me and left a greasy aftertaste in my mouth.

Carbense Garlic & Herb Pizza Crust Mix-I followed the exact directions but the pizza crust came out grainy and rubbery. I put it back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes but it was still not edible. The garlic and herbs made my kitchen smell like a pizzeria, but the crust just did not come out right. It could have just been a fluke with my oven.

That's all for now.

-Ang

catlinc
Thu, Aug-14-03, 15:52
Why bother with KETO milk? Use some half and half. There are zero carbs. Its very satifying and will stick with you longer.

Lisa N
Thu, Aug-14-03, 18:45
Why bother with KETO milk? Use some half and half. There are zero carbs. Its very satifying and will stick with you longer.

Half and half does have carbs...about 10.4 grams per cup. Heavy cream (whipping cream) has 6.5 grams of carb per cup.
You need to be careful with labels and serving sizes. Usually cream or half and half lists the serving size as 1 tablespoon which has less than 1 gram of carb, so legally they can label it as zero grams per serving. That doesn't mean that there are no carbs in it at all, just that the amount in one serving is small enough that they can say zero. :rolleyes:

Blondyi40
Sat, Aug-16-03, 13:14
I bought these today and I think they are awful :( The corn chips are like paper no flavor and the Just the Cheese has a good flavor but the consistency is YUK. Anyone else tried these? I am opening a low carb food store in Sylvania, Ohio next month and I would like to know some great products to put in it including a good tortilla chip. Thanks.

AngHB
Sun, Aug-17-03, 01:12
I didn't like Just the Cheese either, too salty to me.

Some yummy items you should consider in your future store:
LeCarb Icecream
Atkins Icecream cups
Glenny's Fudgies Brownies, Rasberry and Mint
Carbsense Tortilla Chips

Blondyi40
Sun, Aug-17-03, 09:55
thanks so much:)

potatofree
Sun, Aug-17-03, 19:59
I liked the Keto chips before they "improved" them. The Nacho Cheese ARE better than the plain. DON'T try the "Keto Keeters" unless you have nothing to live for!

I really DO prefer the Keto bars to Atkins, though. The fruit spreads are delicious, too!

You'll find many opinions here in the forum, so happy hunting!

kati
Wed, Aug-20-03, 02:29
The new ketato mix is great! Not the rubbery consistency of the old ones. And their bars are getting better, too
Kati

mizholly
Wed, Aug-20-03, 09:12
The newest LC tortillas to hit the market, "Adios Carbs", are quiet good. :thup:

They are available in two sizes, regular & burrito, as well as several flavors (plain, jalapeno, red chile, garlic and CHOCOLATE). I've found them at synerydiet:

http://www.synergydiet.com/tortillas1.html

They are a bit higher in carbs, but well worth it for the taste.

Happy hunting,

Holly

el corazón
Fri, Aug-29-03, 06:40
Keto Shakes
Chocolate Peanutbutter- Pretty good
Egg Nog- Loved it with some pumpkin pie spice mixed in
Banana Creme- Was the thickest Ive tried so far
Chocolate Fudge- Pretty good for a chocolate shake
Peaches and Creme- It was okay...though I dont really care for peaches all that much...

Atkins RTD Shakes
Vanilla- My favorite
The coffee one (I forget the name)- My second favorite
Chocolate- I think the one I was was the regular chocolate, I didnt care for it tons...
Strawberry- Ick

Atkins Bars-
Ive tried all of them except the coconut, and I liked them all...

Carbwise-
Only tried the smores so far. Mmmm!! Rice crispie treat!

Keto Crisp-
I tried the Original and the chocolate and liked them both with some Soy Slender. The Original had more of a crunch though.

Russell Stover SF-
Ive only bought the plain chocolate ones but theyre good! Tastes just like regular chocolate

Russell Stover LC-
Tried the chocolate truffle. Mmm.

Keto Ketchup-
Better than regular ketchup!

LeCarb Icecream-
Cinnamon is my favorite so far, then chocolate. Though they do get very hard, might wanna set em out for a lil bit before you plan to eat it.

2puttbob
Fri, Aug-29-03, 17:11
Hi all
All of these recipes are great. I love the creativity. However, I am getting lazy in my advanced years(52, hee hee). So I thought I'd share a few Low carb items off the shelf that taste great. I shop at Stator Bros. and have found:
Reeses Pnut butter-5 net carb grams per tbsp.
Smuckers sugar free strawberry jam - 5 grams
Dining-In Beef Chili(meat section) - 5 net grams. good taste too.
Atkins Advantage ice cream cups are actually pretty good. Too bad costs so much.
Vogels soy/flaxseed bread - 8 net grams/slice.
Chris&Pitts regular Original BBQ sauce - under 4 grams per tbsp.
Bobs Lite Bleu Cheese Dressing - half a gram per tbsp.

I like finding off the shelf stuff like these. If you have found some yourself, please share it.

Big Bob

tomiie
Tue, Sep-02-03, 03:33
i tried these too and yeah they are VERY addictive! The caramel crunch ones are good but the PB ones were much nicer. 1 case of the peanut butter bites didnt even last a week. I'll definately be getting myself some more of these

DerBlumers
Sat, Sep-06-03, 01:21
When I first bought Keto Milk, I intended to use it as a "creamer" for my coffee. It was horrible as that!! It lumped up, and left a nasty film in my coffee cup.
Then...I read the label, and it said to mix it with COLD water...not HOT water...and at that time I figured it wouldn't be such a good idea to use it dry as a creamer. When I started mixing it with cold water, it took a much better consistency, and I could use it in cooking as long as I mixed it before I heated it.

The first Keto bar I tried..was Oatmeal Raisin ... I didn't expect much because I'm really not fond of oatmeal raisin cookies. However....this bar tasted wonderful...like a concentrated granola bar...yummy...no real raisins inside, just a hint of the flavor. I always hated real raisins in those things anyway. :D

DerBlumers
Sat, Sep-06-03, 01:24
BTW...I found something much better in my coffee...Atkins RTD shakes....all flavors work except the strawberry. Two ounces in each cup of coffee makes me think I'm having a mocha or cappuccino!! :D

Julie22
Tue, Sep-09-03, 16:25
I just wanted to let you guys know about my experience with Synergydiet.com. Maybe you can spare yourselves the headaches my dealing with them caused me. I ordered from them using a coupon code. I followed the directions on the coupon, which required ordering over $65 worth of products and even bypassing the free shipping for the 2 day shipping. The coupon said that the doubling of items (which is what the coupon was for) would not appear on the invoice and not to worry when it's not on there.

When I got my shipment I saw the company had not honored the coupon doubling my order. When I called the manager at their store I was dissapointed when she was rude and verging on hostile towards me. She told me the coupon was no longer valid. When I asked her why it was still online then, she told me "someone must have forgotten to take it off." Stunned I told her that as a reputable company they should honor any coupons with no expiration date listed. She basically told me, 'tough, you're out of luck'. When I asked her why someone didn't contact me when they saw the coupon code on my order to tell me they wouldn't be honoring the coupon she told me in a nasty tone that "the manager probably didn't have time to call." At this point I told her it was their responsability to take enough time to provide good service to their customers. I told her I wanted the coupon honored, or at the very least, to honor it up to $10 which is what I paid extra for the shipping just so I could use the coupon. She refused both, her tone impatiant and rude. She further told me returning (even if I drove it up that day, which I was tempted to do despite the distance because I was so upset) was not an option. Overall, the manager was rude and hostile and never once apologized for the mistake. I would never order from them again.

Just thouht I share my experience. Maybe one of you will order your low carb products elsewhere and avoid similar hassles.

On another note, does anyone know anyplace in the LA area that sells the splenda sweetened Smucker's jelly? I've been craving jelly like crazy lately!

KarenMT
Tue, Sep-09-03, 16:42
Julie,

I think that person you dealt with just did the company a great disservice. I see that Synergydiet.com has a feedback "button" at the top of their home page. You may want to leave a copy of the note you just shared with us there. I think I would if I were you.

Karen
In Montana

mizholly
Tue, Sep-09-03, 16:57
Hi Julie,

Sorry and quite surprised to hear of your problems with Synergy Diet. I've had nothing but great service from them. Whenever I've had a problem, they've gone WAAAY out of their way to make it right.

For instance: I ordered tortillas with their buy-one-get-one-free offer, I ordered 14 packages (we have a big freezer :) ) We should have received 28 packages and only 14 arrived. I called and they not only sent me the other 14 packages, they threw in a bunch of freebies!

When the 2nd batch of tortillas arrived, some of the packages were a bit moldy. (we were suffering through an incredible heat wave at the time). I called and they replaced them. They didn't require me to return them, they simply replaced the whole shipment - again, they added a few free products as a goodwill gesture. This happened again and we collectively decided just to do a store credit and wait for cooler weather.

All through what could have been a "nasty" encounter, they were friendly, helpful and sincerely apologetic. Maybe the gal you spoke to was having a bad day ... we all have 'em. :lol:

I'll check around and let you if I find the Splenda sweetened Smuckers (that's a mouthful!!) I think I've seen it at our local Fry's grocery (Kroegers)

Stay well,

Holly

Julie22
Tue, Sep-09-03, 17:05
Thanks Karen. I did send them several e-mails on their feedback page over the last few weeks. No reponse whatsoever.

Wow Holly! I'm surprised to hear your story because it's mine exactly except for the outcome. I ordered 13 tortillas (big freezer out here too!) and only recieved 13. Unfortunately, the responses we got were very different. I'll call again but I talked to the same manager twice and every time I've tried to call was never able to connect with anyone higher up.

Overall, my losses were probably around $60- which is pretty much for a recent college grad with no job so far. Still, it was the extreme rudeness and nastiness I encountered that upsets me the most. Especially since I went out of my way to be so polite with them.

cc48510
Sat, Sep-20-03, 17:18
Reviews based on what I've tried so far:

Keto French Loaf Mix -- I baked it using a Bread Machine I bought at Wal-Mart. It makes Square loaves, so I only got 8 slices out of the mix...not 16 as listed on the label. But, at 4g Net Carbs (10g - 6g Fiber) per slice, they were still low-carb, and they were generous slices. The Bread tastes pretty good. Only downside is its crunchiness [probably due to the large amount of Fiber.] The bread is not very soft, especially the crust, so make sure to drink it with water. Overall, I liked it. Just make sure to follow the recipe. I tried adding extra Butter to my second loaf...and it didn't rise as well.
Serving Size*: 1/2" slice; CHO: 5g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 13g

*Double all these numbers if you use a Square Loaf Bread Machine, as you will only get 8 slices, not 16 out of it.

Keto Ketatoes -- [As Mashed Potatoes,] they tasted very good [almost like the real thing,] unlike Cauliflower (YUK!!!) and Daikon (tastes like a damned radish, not potatoes to me.) Only downside is the serving size...It takes 2 servings to get what I consider a side of Potatoes. 2 Servings has 10g of Net Carbs (22g - 12g Fiber)...Not exactly very low-carb...but, a hell of alot better than the carb count on the real deal. Plus, all that Fiber has to signficantly slow the absorption (lower the GI/GL.) The mix also works [in combination with other flours] for Breadmaking.
Serving Size: 1/4 cup mix (1/2 cup prepared); CHO: 11g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 8g

Keto Spaghetti -- These tasted great covered with Parmesan Cheese. I almost couldn't tell the difference between them and the 100% Durum Semolina Pasta I used to eat [Pre-Atkins.] The box gives serving sizes in ounces, which makes it harder to measure out. So, I just used what I estimated as 1/6 of the box [there are 6 servings in the box]...and the serving size was not that bad...All that protein filled me up quick. It used to take an entire plate of Durum Pasta covered with Skim (Reduced Fat) Cheese...to fill me up. I was easily satisfied with 1 serving of the Keto Spaghetti covered with Full-Fat Cheese.
Serving Size: 1.3 oz (dry); CHO: 7g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 22g

Stephen596
Tue, Sep-23-03, 06:46
I just got some of these Keto products and I have to say they are all pretty good, a little pricey but isnt everything.

cc48510
Tue, Sep-23-03, 07:41
I haven't tried it, but it is glycine, which is not counted as a carb. The other ingediant is a perservative I believe. Glycine, like sugar alcohols, can create stalls if you eat too much or are senstive to it. But it is an amino acid, a building block of protein.

You're thinking of Glycerine. Glycine is an Amino Acid and as such should not cause stalling. The other ingredeient if I remember correctly was Acesulfame Potassium. That is an artificial sweetener, marketed under the Brand Sunette. It is usually mixed with other sweeteners [Ace-K/Sucralose in Diet Rite; Ace-K/Aspartame in Pepsi One,] rather than being used by itself.

Tedmom
Fri, Sep-26-03, 15:47
Some of my favorite LC Products:

Keto Ketchup
Steele's Peanut Sauce - makes great chicken and beef satays!
Pumpkorn - especially the curry and caramel versions
Gram's Chedder Pork Rinds - nice as "croutons" in salads
Flax O meal cereal
Atkins Cinnamon Bun breakfast bars
Keto ice cream mixes
Steele's caramel sauce
Keto hot cereals
Adios carbs tortillas - very good indeed.
Atkins corn muffins
Atkins crunchers plain
Keto Crumbs - great for frying fish, crabcakes and chicken
Judy's brand peanut brittle
Carbsense pancake mix

LC Products I Did not Care For:

Atkins Teriyaki sauce - very nasty aftertaste
Atkins pancake syrup - same aftertaste and watery
Atkins Blueberry breakfast bars
Keto shells

Purchased, but have not yet tried:

Atkins pasta side dishes in the pesto and alfredo versions
Steele's cranberry sauce
Atkins cappachino shake mix
Keto spaghetti

LC Product Question -

Has anyone tried the Tiara brand taco shells that are supposed to be
only 1 net carb? Are these for real?

piscestig
Sat, Sep-27-03, 06:52
My favorites include:
Atkins premade shakes (Chocolate and Vanilla)
Atkins Endulge Bars (Chocolate Crunch, Peanut Butter Cups, Peanut Butter Wafer Bars)
Keto Tortilla Chips (Nacho Flavor)
Atkins Bake Mix- I made pancakes this morning with their recipe. They were awesome!

What I don't like:
Any of the bars. I can live with the Atkins bars, but the Carb solutions bars are the worst.
I haven't tried anything else.

I just placed an order for the Mac&cheese. I figured that I'd give it a try. I'm trying to get the torilla's, but can't find anyone within a decent price range that ships to APO boxes. I know Atkins does, but they are a rip off. Right now I'm using supplenet.com. Their service is great. I've sent an e-mail asking them to consider carrying them.

Mossling
Sat, Sep-27-03, 19:31
Tedmom,

I tried one box of each type of the La Tiera taco shells. They are crunchy, tasty, wonderful, great, fantastic, thin---and TINY. Say half as thick and about 3/4 as big as the La Ortega full carb version. Ran the ingredients through the Hidden Carb calculator on this site, and they both (white and yellow corn) came up with just under 4 grams per taco shell. So, I limit myself to one shell--then I have more "tacos" using crisp lettuce to hold everything. But boy they are good good good.

Jude

Tedmom
Sun, Sep-28-03, 05:38
Tedmom,

I tried one box of each type of the La Tiera taco shells. They are crunchy, tasty, wonderful, great, fantastic, thin---and TINY. Say half as thick and about 3/4 as big as the La Ortega full carb version. Ran the ingredients through the Hidden Carb calculator on this site, and they both (white and yellow corn) came up with just under 4 grams per taco shell. So, I limit myself to one shell--then I have more "tacos" using crisp lettuce to hold everything. But boy they are good good good.

Jude

Thanks, Jude. I thought they were just 1 "effective" carb each. But at 4, they may still be worth a try! Thank goodness for all these new products coming out. Tedmom

piscestig
Tue, Sep-30-03, 11:15
I tried the Keto Mac & Cheese tonight. It was ok. Yes I doctored it up. The powdered cheese disappeared lol. I added 1/2 cup Ragu Cheese sauce, some chili powder, and some ground beef. It was pretty good. I only cooked the noodles for 10 minutes, because I like my mac a little firm. The noodles were good. The texture was great. I have a lot left over, so we'll have to see how the leftover version is.

I also got the Keo pancake mix in. I'll try it in the morning.

Tedmom
Fri, Oct-03-03, 09:16
I tried the Walden Farms no carb/no calorie french onion dip for the first time yesterday. I am someone who will try anything once and am definitely not a finicky eater. However, this is perhaps the single worst food product that I have ever consumed. It was a funky grey color, tasted nothing at all like french onion dip and was nasty to the extreme. Has anyone dared to try any of the other flavors and, if so, were any of them any good?

Tedmom
Thu, Oct-09-03, 08:18
I made the Atkins Creamy Pesto Pasta boxed side dish last night for supper. Pre-LC days, we ate a lot of the Noodle-Roni boxed side dishes and I was hoping this might be a good substitute. I have to say that the creamy pesto sauce that comes with the Atkins product is very tasty and I wish that you could purchase it alone. The noodles, however, were so-so and tasted cardboardy. Although I wouldn't put it on the top of the list of products to buy again, I think it would be nice to have on hand for those times when I start craving pasta or noodles.