PDA

View Full Version : Separated Stomach muscles

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Homegirl
Sat, Dec-08-01, 18:12
Does anyone know if it is possible for separated stomach muscles to come together again?

I have had four children and my stomach muscles separated with the first pregnancy. Looking back I probably didn't have very strong stomach muscles to begin with and I tended to carry very "up front" and had big babies. Despite working on my abdominal muscles over a period of time (approx. 10 months), I don't think it has made any difference in the separation. When my stomach is tensed I can almost fit two fingers between those hard muscles. I think this is one of the factors contributing to my "pot" belly along with the layer of fat, or course :D

TrainerDan, Fern, anyone want to tackle this?

Trainerdan
Sun, Dec-09-01, 10:47
Sooner or later, I will post my resume here. LOL.

I can answer teh question for you Homegirl, as one of my certifications is in pre-natal and post-natal fitness.

If it was due to a C-section, then the answer is gernerally no. Muscle tissue WILL heal over time, but once those muscles are cut, they won't be the same again.

And, if the transverse abdominus is cut/stretched out during pregnancy, there is no real way to work that muscle. Double whammy.

HOWEVER, that isn't to say that you should stop training abs. Actually, it is more important now. The rest of the abdomonal group needs to be stronger to share the workload of the other muscles.

I will look more into this for you ... I have a trainer friend (female) that is in the exact same boat as you, and she is skinny as a rail but still has a small bit of distention in her lower ab region due to the stretched transverse abdminal muscles.

I'll see what exercises she does/did to minimize the issue.

Homegirl
Sun, Dec-09-01, 15:52
Thanks TrainerDan, I appreciate your taking time to help.

P.S. No C-sections.

lisaf
Tue, Dec-25-01, 20:30
How can you tell if stomach muscles have separated? I can probably fit my index finger between my abs below my belly button.

Lisa

lisaf
Tue, Dec-25-01, 20:37
Just found this:

http://www.timbomb.net/ab/ab.faq.html#pregnancy

- see Question 12 of the faq. Dan what do you think?

Lisa

Homegirl
Thu, Dec-27-01, 14:29
Lisaf,

Thanks for the link re abs. Have bookmarked it.

Bobbie

lisaf
Thu, Dec-27-01, 18:48
You're welcome...funny thing is that when I put "separated stomach muscles" into the search engine, I got reams of sites for plastic surgeons. Gotta say that those abdominoplasties are sounding mighty appealing - seems they not only remove the excess skin, they can also go in and repair separated abs.

So - holiday or plastic surgery?

Lisa