PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to 250?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

alto
Sat, Dec-01-01, 22:46
This grew out of a discussion between Wa'il and me on the 190 club thread. Is there any interest among people here to huddle in smallish groups by weight? The idea isn't to be competitive, but supportive. I've seen this on other boards and always thought it a good idea. I can't see 200 from here, but I'm beginning to believe that 250 is possible. Someone who's at 300 might need to aim for a 275 thread, etc.

So if anyone has 250 as their next big goal, please join in. The first one to hit 250 gets to start the 225 thread! (Unless someone else starts it first, of course.)

Wa'il, I hope you don't mind that I've done this. If you'd rather it be handled differently, please delete the post :)

Sh'ra
Mon, Dec-03-01, 13:26
250 is my short-term goal. I'm at 257 right now.

alto
Mon, Dec-03-01, 13:32
Hi Sh'ra. 250 is a big goal. (I remember, on the way up, that was when my stomach really ballooned.)

Your stats are great! You've really been sticking with this. I'm just at the stage where I can imagine that this will be a way of life. How long did it take you to get there? Or does the old "diet mentality" still get in the way from time to time?

Sh'ra
Mon, Dec-03-01, 15:32
Alto,
Actually, this is a "restart." I began eating low carb (not Atkins, just low carb) about two years ago, and lost down to 235. However, over the last year, I went back to eating carbs (and sugar) and gained back to 260...I'm just blessed I didn't gain more than that!!

So, I just began induction again last Monday, and have lost three pounds so far (I haven't been on a scale since Thursday). I put my original weight of 320 mainly to give ME a boost, and to remind myself that even though I gained some back, I've still come a long way.

I did use it as a way of life, but when I started my new job and had some other stressful stuff happen in my life, I stopped paying attention to what went into my mouth - so now, I'm "detoxing" from sugar once again *sigh* - there's a big birthday cake with three pieces left out in the main room of my office, and I've had to walk by it at least six times this afternoon! Arrrgh!

As far as when I was doing it before, it only took about 7 months to get from 320 to 235, and I wasn't doing it as heavy then as I am now. Not too shabby.

We just need to keep telling ourselves that no matter what we think we're missing, it will be WORTH it. What are you looking forward to? These are the things that keep my mood up and my food on track:

*Walking into a room and having people look and say, "Wow! You look great!"

*Being able to run again - a favorite pastime in the past (and play softball without pulling a thigh muscle when I run).

*Sleeping on my stomach comfortably, without having to lift a leg to the side so I don't feel squished! :daze:

*Being able to shop in NORMAL sized clothing, and not feel like all the clothing for my size is made by Omar the Tentmaker.

*Being able to clothing shop in a thrift shop (all us plus sized girls keep our nice clothes until they rot, so they never make it to a thrift shop). I like bargains :)

*Uh...er...sex made easier :D Not that it's not fun now, mind you...

Anyone else? What are you looking forward to?

Sh'ra

alto
Mon, Dec-03-01, 16:35
You're in a special category of restarter :) Good for you to start again before things got completely out of hand!

What I'm looking forward to is perhaps only a dream -- that this is OVER. Weight has been an issue all my life. I want to wake up and not have my first thought being about weight, or eating, or not eating.

I'm also very out of shape, in the sense of not being able to walk up more than two flights of stairs without feeling as though I'm going to have a heart attack. I want that OVER.

When I walk in the room, I don't want people to be afraid I'll break their furniture.

Nice clothes, good sex, all that stuff -- that would be nice :) But I just want to be normal.

Sh'ra
Mon, Dec-03-01, 16:48
True, and I can relate again - there is NOTHING more embarassing than actually breaking a piece of furniture - I shudder at plastic chairs and lawn furniture - just gives me the willies to think about it.

Normal - how does normal feel? *pondering*

Well, we WILL find out!

Victoria
Thu, Dec-06-01, 13:22
OK girls, count me in! This is the room for me!! I won't be getting to 250 lbs. for a while. But I was just thinking the other day that I am looking forward to being 250. It's been a long while since I've seen those numbers. Probably longer than 10 years. So that will be a day for a PARTY when I reach that. I am already noticing some changes. The other day I went to the Urgent Care with my daughter and granddaughter( my granddaughter had an ear infection). I fit in the chairs that had arms on both sides. Infact, it was real roomy. Normally I feel very squished in those chairs. Or like at Denny's getting into the booth and realizing I fit. Of course I look forward to fitting better, but I am so thrilled that I am shrinking and noticing these changes. So again, I think I will join you and maybe we can keep track of each other and encourage each other. :wave: Victoria

alto
Thu, Dec-06-01, 13:26
You'll be a perfect fit, Victoria :) You've already done so well; you can inspire the rest of us!

(I'm glad to "see" you again. I realized yesterday I hadn't noticed you on the board for a day or two -- maybe I just missed you -- but I'm very glad you're still here.)

Victoria
Thu, Dec-06-01, 15:23
Alto,
Didn't mean to "leave" but have been busy elsewhere. I guess now that Christmas is not too far away alot of us will be out and about more. But I can't leave for long, I need the support and information I find here. Thanks for noticing tho....
:daze: Victoria

Sh'ra
Fri, Dec-07-01, 11:03
Victoria,
Ditto! Being able to slide into a booth is really nice - we don't have to specifically request a table anymore for comfort. I used to HATE those chairs with arms on each side - and some small movie theater seats with the armrests - had to sit slumped down in my seat because my rump wouldn't fit between the armrests.

I'm looking very forward to being "normal."

Sh'ra

Dizz
Fri, Dec-07-01, 21:45
:wave: Hi I'm Diz, I have a short (at the rate long term) term goal of 250 lbs. It's been a long time since I saw 250 but I'm looking forward to it.

alto
Fri, Dec-07-01, 22:28
Hi, Diz. Great stats! You're almost at 250 -- a good short-term goal :)

Any tips for us? (I'm always looking for how people make this WORK from favorite meals and snacks, or things they've learned along the way.)

Dizz
Fri, Dec-07-01, 23:21
I keep thinking I'm almost there.....but here lately the weight just isn't going away. It's a pound or two maybe in two weeks sometimes three.

Exercise has become nonexistent since winter started. I need to find an indoor pool for water aerobics but I dread doing it. Just don't like new things, new places...you know the unknown.

I really attribute the weight loss to the water aerobics. Bad knees so I am unable to do the walking. Atkins has not been difficult for me. This is the first time I have actually lost any weight on a diet so I have decided this has to be a WOL for me. I have a journal but haven't been writing same ol' same ol' stuff. Must get back to that seems to make me more accountable.

I have found the sweet tooth crazzzzz is satisfied by sf jello and whipped cream. I satisfy the "crunch" crazzzz with some nuts. But working on the "husbands out of town and I'm walking the floor trying to find something to keep my mind busy" crazzz! haha

I was hoping a little extra support might push me over the hump. Perhaps I might be able to help someone else over as well.

kezza
Sat, Dec-08-01, 05:48
What a great idea. :thup:
Aiming for 250 pounds as a short-term goal sounds a whole lot more do-able than my target weight. :)
I'm joining this thread to encourage and be encouraged!!
We can do it!
See ya,
kezza :wave:

alto
Sat, Dec-08-01, 08:21
Hi, Kezza -- yes. That's the idea. A good, solid, short-term goal with people who are all around the same weight -- not to have a competition, but to support.

Dizz, you sound down! You've done so well. I think keeping a journal does help -- even writing "same old same old" It may encourage you to try to jazz up your routine, or see some things to change.

Writing things down may give you a check list to see why the weight loss has slowed -- is there a food that could be added or eliminated, are you really drinking enough water??? (I'm not. This week I've been BAD about water and I know I haven't lost. I'm not getting on the scale. If I see no loss or a small gain, I'm not sure I can deal with it today. Instead, I'm going to guzzle water all weekend.)

I have bad knees too -- it's hard to go down stairs -- but I can walk. Just very slowly :) Our Y has water aerobics. I won't buy a bathing suit for months, but you're braver than me, obviously.

On boredom -- fat or less fat, I'm never bored, so I can't help there. I hope you can find something to do to get you through it that's not eating :)

Victoria
Sat, Dec-08-01, 09:40
Welcome, welcome!!!
Hi Dizz--my Mom and sister live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Greetings! My Mom does water aerobics and swears by it. Me--it'll take a few more pounds before I will be courageous enough to get a bathing suit on. :rolleyes: But if I can remember that far back, I think I was willing to be in a bathing suit when I was 250 pounds. So maybe that is what I will hope for, so I can reach 250.

I have been struggling with the same 3 pounds for the last week or two. My scale said I had gained 3 pounds, but I couldn't tell you why. I haven't changed my ways. It could be my persnickety scale. But it scared me enough to really watch everything I put in my mouth. I have to report that I am back down to 285, thank God above. I even had a mock danish last night that really hit the spot. I know for me I have to make sure I eat enough and drink enough water. I know it is opposite of all the years of lowfatting but if I don't eat enough, I think my body starts storing fat because it thinks it's starvation time.

Thanks for being there ladies!!!! I appreciate your support. :rheart: Victoria

Dizz
Sat, Dec-08-01, 13:58
Thanks guys. Bathing suit???? You mean they still make those! haha Nah, last summer I bought a size 26, 24, 22, 20, and an 18. They were on clearance sale under $10. Decided that was good incentive. We bought an above ground pool and put it in the backyard with a great big privacy fence. So I don't mind the suit in my backyard but anywhere else.....forget that shorts cover more or at least leave more to the imagination.

I will check on the Y today there is one near my house I wonder if they all have pools?

Boredom does not equal eating to me anymore. I have a good book and a pesky puppy both I love.

Thanks for the pep talk guess I just needed to "hear" someone talk.

alto
Sat, Dec-08-01, 14:21
Dizz, it sounds as thought you're really on track -- you've done so well (60 pounds!!!!!) This is probably very obvious to all of us, but I think one of the most dispiriting things about being a longhauler is that we lose 30, 50, even 75 pounds -- and we still have such a long way to go. My last 25 pounds was a fairly recent gain (about 3 years) and so I thought that would fall off, painlessly, in about a month. Six weeks, top. THEN I was prepared to be patient :)

Patience is a hard lesson to learn :)

Dizz
Sat, Dec-08-01, 14:37
:confused: Patience???? Oh yes, I recently added that word to my vocabulary. It means...hmmm never had a good memory. Yes, patience is a problem once I make my mind up I want it now. No, I wasn't the baby of the family! I know your right. My sister-in-law just started her diet (Mayo) a month before I started mine. She has lost 52 lbs but she is also at her goal weight. I just had to spend 3 days with 5 sisters, my mother, 2 neices, and my skinny sister-in-law. On the 4th day I had a migraine! haha oh well, it will be me soon enough I guess.

kezza
Sat, Dec-08-01, 18:12
Dizz and everyone else here is a list of things I like to do do when bored.
AND they don't involve food or strenuous exercise!!YAY! :thup:
Maybe other people could add some more ideas!
-yoga (grab a beginner's video)
-gardening
-plant a vege garden
-pot up some herbs
-reading
-making cards using a computer (make a year's supply for all different occasions)
-cross-stitch (can't eat because you have to keep the aida cloth clean)
-knitting, crochet, other crafts
-drawing
-decorate the house
-renovate the house (even just a lick of paint in one room can really lift my spirits)
-brush the dog
-take dog for a walk
-go for a drive to look at all the Christmas lights decorating people's homes
-swimming for fun and relaxing (play with kids in water-that uses lots of energy)

These things do involve food but LC food fits in well
-go on a picnic
-organise a barbeque (even if it is just at home with the family)

Hope that gives you some boredom busting ideas.

Karson
Sat, Dec-08-01, 20:00
Hi ladies. the 250 lb club is a great idea. It is a much more realistic goal for me right now than my bottom line goal. I hope you don't mind if I jump in here and tag along. It may take me a little long to get there than you ladies, but you are so inspiring to read. I was so happy to break 300 and now have been faithfully sticking to my WOE to keep going down.

I can relate to the fears about furniture. What about airline seats and seatbelts? That is so embarrassing and uncomfortable. I am flying again in January and can't wait to see the difference. I have already been able to button shirts I couldn't 6 weeks ago. Thanks for all your group encouragement and advice. K :wave:

Dizz
Sat, Dec-08-01, 22:11
I know what you mean 300 was nice to wave bye bye to :wave: I'm really looking forward to waving bye bye to 250 even if it is only 249!

I know the furniture fear as well. Where I have never broken anything, I certainly make rapid decisions regarding whether or not to sit in the chair offered. Garden furniture with arms is sure and final death to the legs :rolleyes:

Show seats are comfortable again, I still gauge the booth before I make the attempt and besides my feet don't touch the floor in a booth, I want to regain everything I have given up! :cheer:

alto
Sat, Dec-08-01, 22:14
Thanks for the Boredom Beaters, Kezza! You're really active. (My top Boredom Beaters are reading and writing :) )

Hi, Karson -- congratulations on putting the 300s behind you. I just barely fit into the seatbelts; another half-inch would have done it. Won't it be fun to shrink?

Sh'ra
Mon, Dec-10-01, 12:46
Welcome, Karson, and congrats on dropping below 300! That was a big one for me.

Kezza - you just listed many of my favorite things to do - however, right now, I'd LOVE to have a little time to be bored :) Been crazy with work and holidays and rushing here and there and - well you get the picture.

Well, my fellow 250-ers, I guess I'm only 4 pounds away now. I am really looking forward to dropping below that. I think my favorite weight to make it to will be 235, since that's where I was before I went off low-carb and gained back again. But 250 will be pretty nice :)

I was kind of disappointed at first because after 2 weeks of induction, I only lost 6 pounds. BUT, thinking about it, I realized I probably didn't keep it under 20 g carbs all the time (ate more than the allotted amount of vegis), and also that 6 pounds in two weeks ain't too shabby!

I'm really thrilled that we've found this WOE and this board to support one another on!

Sh'ra

alto
Mon, Dec-10-01, 19:29
Hi, Shrinking Sh'ra -- that's another 3 pounds, no? You will be the first little duckling out the door. I hope you'll start a Countdown to 235, or to 200, so the rest of us will have something to strive for.

235 -- that's a significant number for me, too, and RamonaK (aka Juicy Goddess) lists it as her short term goal. I call it "returning to human form" (with apologies to those who weigh 235+ who are, of course, already in human form) 235-240 was when my weight problems really took off and took on a life of their own, too. It's as though the body says, "Well, okay. She's gotta know what she's doing. Must be one heck of a famine coming up" and starts storing with a frightening efficiency.

At 235 -- half of my closet fits the 235-I-was six years ago. I have two dresses that actually came from a normal catalog (Lands End. They were XXL, but they came from a normal catalog). There are three pairs of shoes that fit then that don't now. 235 is a very good weight -- seen from this end :)

---------------

Well, it's the beginning of a new week. How is everyone doing? Any special challenges coming up this week? Anything to celebrate? Any goals to work on this week?

I've been saying for two weeks that it's time for Water, Vegetables and Exercise. I've got the food down pretty much now. I have a basic repertory of things, and a few things in the freezer if my Recipe of the Week goes south.

This week is fairly calm for me -- nothing planned in the evenings. I've just finished a big deadline and don't have another one for two weeks, so I have no excuse not to do Water (at least 8 glasses a day), Vegetables and Exercise. There has been some discussion of whether to Crystal Light or not to Crystal Light, and I'm going to make up a pitcher and have it diluted by half. I'll drink more that way.

What about everyone else?

Sh'ra
Tue, Dec-11-01, 13:06
Alto. It is three more down, yes - 6 total since this eating plan. The scale dipped down to 252 for one day, but has remained steady at 254 for three days *sigh*. But I also think I know the problem - too many carbs, and too much of me trying to satiate the craving for sweets with "mock" stuff. I was eating the protein bars (have three left, and won't buy anymore) just for the sweet taste occasionally, and I made that mock chocolate (cream cheese, heavy cream, splenda, and unsweetened chocolate), but did not stop with two tablespoons - I would eat about 1/2 cup - naughty - so, I'm not going to make that anymore except as an extra special treat, or when I feel like I'm just going to really cheat and buy a bar of chocolate.

I'm staying on induction, and cutting down on some cheese as well, to see if that'll kickstart me back up to losing again. I want to be losing steadily before I start OWL.

Yesterday was a good day for me food-wise; today is a good one so far....I need to journal.

And yes, when I break the 250 barrier, if someone hasn't beaten me to it, I'm starting a 235 thread. That'll be my next goal.

Hope everyone is having a blessed day - happy Hanukkah :)

Sh'ra

alto
Tue, Dec-11-01, 13:51
Happy Hanukkah to you, Sh'ra. :)

I think you're wise to avoid the fake stuff. I've made the chocolate cream cheese thing twice -- I use one tbl of cocoa and match the other ingredients to that. That way I'm not tempted.

I'm re-reading Protein Power again now. The Lifeplan book -- the sequel, if you will. I'd only skimmed it before -- I read the original book. I think the Eades must have really been treating medical conditions more than overweight. They don't take into account some of the behaviors that many of us have gotten into. So they were surprised that there were people who really did eat "all the fatty foods you want" or that sugar junkies would be so enterprising at finding sugar substitutes.

I think there is a difference between normal eaters and food junkies (I guess this is self-evident) but there are people who probably can eat half a slice of dry toast a day. I can't. I won't eat the whole loaf at once, but I' could go through it in two or three days, one slice (with butter and jam) at a time.

Today is going well for me. My schedule is not hectic this week -- it makes all the difference.

Karson, Dizz, Kezza, Victoria, how's it going for you?

Victoria
Tue, Dec-11-01, 16:36
Hi Alto and Sh'ra, Karson, Dizz and Kezza,
:wave: I enjoyed reading all your posts. I have lost another 2 lb. I think...I sort of wait til my scale confirms it for a few days before I change it on my stats. So things are looking good. My Mom is coming in less than a week and I am looking forward to seeing the look on her face when she sees the "thinner" me. Although the stress of having a cluttered house to clean up is weighing on me. But I will probably wait til Saturday to SUPER CLEAN my house. I work that way sometimes.

So is everyone out shopping, shopping, shopping? I find that I get extremely thirsty when I am out and about. I have gotten so used to downing the water. There's bottled water everywhere I go, so I have to remember to take care of that need. Even when I find myself getting famished, I run home and make a big salad or dip into the peanuts til I get my lunch made. I'm so thankful for this WOL because it has created a resolve in me to eat right, that wasn't there before. I have always thought I was the only person on the face of this earth that could NOT stay on a diet. But now, I am determined...and I don't have those horrible cravings, AND I eat as much as I need. It's amazing that you can EAT and lose weight. :yum: It really is amazing!!!

Well friends, hope you are all doing well... :rheart: Victoria

Dizz
Tue, Dec-11-01, 17:03
:roll: Hi, Victoria, Alto,Sh'ra, Karson,and Kezza, and anyone else I left out.

Had a good day so far. Discovered another lb gone this morning. I'm thrilled. I am 2 lbs away from breaking into the 50's. Somehow that means alot to me just to be in the 250's. 18 years ago I weighted 250. I would love it if the next 63 lbs would leave as easily as the last but alas....I know that is not possible. I glory in 1 lb now days.

I think you guys are so wise in avoiding the fake stuff. I, too, found that the idea of it being "legal" made it more appealing to me than it needed to be. I kept going back and going back and going back until it was all gone. So now I am saving for the special occassions when I want to be able to eat with family. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Anniversary, etc. A delibrate decision to eat fake and enjoy it.

Yes, shopping, shopping, shopping. I even picked out clothes for my husband to give me for Christmas. I had at first decided against it. Can't afford to buy each size going down but I really wanted a couple of pair of pants that fit for a change. I needed it (which surprised me), I needed to see that the 63 lbs were actually gone.

Thanks for being here guys I really enjoy each of you so much. :D

Karson
Tue, Dec-11-01, 20:18
it was nice to log on and find so much encouragment tonight. I have just worked my usual 23 hours in the past 48. It is almost bed time for me. You ladies are doing so well. It is helpful to see that you struggle with things like 'legal' sweet stuff and not being able to limit portions. Of course, as we learn a new WOE, that is something that should become as common as our old pigging out on not so healthy sugary stuff.

Shopping over the weekend did present somewhat of a challenge. And taking water with me is a must. I get parched. It is nice to see S'hra get so close to goal. Don't forget me when you pass 250, I am working as hard as I can to catch up.

Happy Holidays to each of you and your families. I will check in again in a day or two. My Monday Tuesday schedule is the worst part of my week so I can email more later in the week. K :D

Sh'ra
Wed, Dec-12-01, 11:09
Originally posted by alto

I think there is a difference between normal eaters and food junkies (I guess this is self-evident) but there are people who probably can eat half a slice of dry toast a day. I can't. I won't eat the whole loaf at once, but I' could go through it in two or three days, one slice (with butter and jam) at a time.

Alto,
There is a difference. Anytime someone has an addiction, they ought not be playing around with it. An addicted recovering alcoholic could not have 1/2 glass of wine and think that was okay. What makes us think that we can have 1/2 slice bread, or in my case, anything chocolate whether sugarless or not, without wanting to go on a binge of that very thing?

It is a lesson learned, because I have not moved on the scale in about 4 days now *sigh* Could be my TOM coming, but still really discouraging. Scale hasn't moved since I began trying to eat mock chocolate. Guess if I want sweet, I'll need to stick with the jello or a few small berries - NOT chocolate.

Sh'ra

Sh'ra
Wed, Dec-12-01, 11:55
Hello, ladies (and any man who may be lurking ;) ),

You may very well catch me, Karson, the way things have been going for the last few days - however, I do know what's going on, and am rectifying it.

One thing that I know hasn't helped is that I have really not had the time to prepare foods ahead of time, so that they'll be onhand when I need them. I meant to hard boil some eggs last night, but didn't have time and ended up forgetting all about it, so this morning, in the mad rush to get out the door, I forgot. And, what did I have at work to keep me from digging into the Christmas goodies brought by everyone at the office? A low carb bar *sigh*

I'm not buying any more of those, and I'd encourage anyone else not to, either. I'm reading that they have a ton of hidden carbs and they're a classic stall to this plan. Back to meat, eggs, and vegis for me (oh, and cheese, of course, but I'm cutting back on that as well.

Sh'ra

alto
Wed, Dec-12-01, 12:00
Sh'ra, the mock chocolate issue is an interesting one. I really don't think we know all the variables in low carbing. If you just stick to carb count, there's nothing wrong with it (cream cheese, splenda, cocoa). Quantity should control the number of carbs. BUI if you've found that eating jello or berries works better, I'm sure it does -- and why? Is it dairy intolerance from the cream cheese? Is it that mock chocolate is relatively high in fat? Is this something that will be different for different people (i.e., some people may have no problem with eaching cream cheese and/or cocoa)?

I know when I was on Weight Watchers, I could eat two chocolate bars a day and still lose weight (if I was within "points") BUT if I ate a slice of cake, or a few cookies, I wouldn't lose. Is that a wheat intolerance? Or refined flour intolerance?

I'm not arguing that one is right or wrong, but that there are so many variables, and I don't think we've refined them yet. Atkins will say "fat is your friend." Protein Power says, you've got to watch fat intake, and be sure it's good fats.

For years heart patients were told to eat margarine and not butter for their health. The variable wasn't the saturated fat.

Sh'ra
Thu, Dec-13-01, 09:21
Alto,
You're right. I think we are all physiologically different, so we all need to find what works for us. I'm seriously considering going more to a low-carb of my own design, just experimenting with it until I get the right stuff going.

I did well on Atkins the first week, but seem to have stalled completely. In fact, the scale this morning said 255, which is back up a pound. *sigh* Not to mention that even with the allowed vegis, I'm having a little - er - bathroom trouble :o

But anyway, it is true - we are all different. I think in my case that too much cheese can be part of the problem,and perhaps maybe a little lactose intolerance - I've never been really intolerant, but it seems that when I eat cream cheeses or heavy cream, there is a stall or problem.

Time to start "experimenting" :)

Sh'ra

alto
Thu, Dec-13-01, 09:39
Sh'ra, I've been reading a book that's a very strict variant of Atkins -- "Thin for Good" (I posted a detailed summary of it on the Low Carb Plans Comparison forum). It's written by a former associate of Atkins who saw too many patients stop losing. He designed several different variations for men and women of different ages and conditions. I think of it as Atkins without the loopholes. You pretty much stay on induction for a year -- no commercial desserts, 1 tbl cream a day, 1 tbl soft cheese a day. Nothing is unlimited -- there are even limits on salad vegetables.

I had first read the book when it came out a little over a year ago and pushed it aside as too restrictive, but I'm getting up my courag to start it. I just ordered some stuff that would not be "legal" on this plan from Netrition (pancake mix, low carb syrups) and will finish that first, but I'm going to start this stricter version in about a week to ten days -- at least, I'll try it for a month. I may not be able to stick to it.

Victoria
Thu, Dec-13-01, 09:46
Hey Alto and Sh'ra and all the rest,
I love the chocolate Mock Danish thing. If it made more in the recipe, I think I would be tempted to eat it all though. But since it's just a one serving thing, I eat it til it is gone, and feel satisfied. I do enjoy chocolate, so that recipe allows me to have some and still stay on track.
But i understand what you are saying about addiction. I just seem to lose weight when I eat this recipe, so I don't consider it a problem. But if I made a whole bunch of it and couldn't control myself, I would have to stop.
Well, have to cut it short. Gotta get the kids going for school. Bye :wave: Victoria

kezza
Thu, Dec-13-01, 11:23
Hi everyone,
I haven't been around for a couple of days... VERY BUSY at work and I have the Flu. Anyway just wanted to say that I have lost a few more pounds...4.6 to be exact...and I can totally give all the credit to all the encouraging people that helped me last week when I fell off the wagon big time.
The advice about supplements to help curb the cravings, being extra strict about my carb allowance and drinking up to 4 litres of water were crucial to my recent success. If anyone would like to read the details of my recent carb attack and all the advice I received, just pop to kezza's Journal and read page 3 and 4.

Lots of the people that replied in my hour ( actually days ) of need came from the Triple Digits Club or from this Countdown to 250. WOW! What a great system. :spin: :spin: :spin:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm excited!!! :D
Love to you all,

alto
Thu, Dec-13-01, 11:24
Victoria, whatever works :) All of us have different metabolisms. Someone may lose eating lots of cream cheese, and someone else may not.

alto
Thu, Dec-13-01, 11:26
Kezza, we were posting at the same time, so I hadn't seen your message when I made the above post -- CONGRATULATIONS on that 4.6 pounds (and on getting over the flu).

It is a great support system, isn't it? I'll bet it was the 4 liters of water (she said guiltily). :)

Sh'ra
Thu, Dec-13-01, 15:03
Alto,
You'll have to tell us how it's going on the "tougher" version.

Actually, I'm thinking of going more toward the "looser" end in some ways, and modifying somewhat. I do think the cream cheese (not the chocolate, but the cheese and cream) is stalling me. So, I'll eat small amounts of other cheese, but I'm going to try to avoid cream more often, except on very special occasions.

I think that I will add a teeny bit of fruit like blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries. I remember low-carbing before and those types of fruit not hurting my weight loss as long as they were in moderation. Besides, I feel a little better about them than chocolate and artificial sweeteners :)

I plan on adding more fiber, too - eating more leafy green fiber along with the meat and eggs. I'm kind of working on a menu to see what happens. As I look at it, it looks more like Protein Power-type stuff I'm thinking of as opposed to Atkins. I've read 'em all :)

Then again, I might just get VICTORIA's book reccomendation and work out from there. Ah, the possibilities are endless.

Shalom, all!

And congrats, Kezza!!!

Sh'ra

Lessara
Thu, Dec-13-01, 15:40
I made a mistake. I made potatoes as in fresh and not instant.
I made it with bacon, onions, cheese and I wanted to see if the potatoes were cooked. I ate a slice and next thing I knew I was eating a small plate of it. Every time since I've then I want potatoes when I make them. I can't stop making them but I hate this temptation dangling over me! :(
The talk of induction for a year maybe what I need to cure my carb addiction once and for all. I'm tried of hovering around 290 for 4 months! :rolleyes:

alto
Thu, Dec-13-01, 16:02
When I first tried low carbing a few years ago, I read the Atkins board on ivillage. People either dropped out after two days or did induction well -- with good results. Where they got into trouble was in going off induction. (That's why I posted the "Have you ever really tried to find your CCL level?" on the Daily Low Carber forum -- people seem to be either Off or On.)

Gosh, Lessara, those potatoes sound awfully good - - no wonder you were tempted :)

Maybe one SHOULD stay in induction until goal? OR, as an alternative, add back VERY carefully, one food at a time?

Karson
Thu, Dec-13-01, 17:52
Well, hello ladies. It seems today was my day to sneak or actually rather brazenly put some CARBS in my mouth. Of course, I have enough snap to know why but that didn't matter when it was happening. I did dumb things like not having food cooked to take for lunch and getting up late so not having enough breakfast. This lead to 1/2 of a muffin and a chicken finger. I stopped this down hill slide on the way home from work. I stopped and got the things I needed to cook low carb dinner and have enough for lunch tomorrow. I have been so strict on myself these last weeks since starting that I am not sure what else brought on this lapse but I got back to the forum as fast as I could for my daily dose of encouragement.

It is really difficult at work right now with even my supposed low carb buddies jumping off the wagon to eat, eat, eat those high carb things that go with the holidays. THIS TO WILL PASS and I WILL START 2002 lighter that I am today. God willing... K :daze:

alto
Thu, Dec-13-01, 18:49
Hi, Karson. Boy, does this ring a bell: "I did dumb things like not having food cooked to take for lunch and getting up late so not having enough breakfast. " I've done that so often.

I've tried to solve it by having at least tuna fish and mayo around so I can grab a quick lunch. But the getting up too late to have time for breakfast -- that gets me.

It's all a matter of planning and taking the time to do things. (That's easy for me to say, because I work at home. If I get up late, I've made myself take the time to eat breakfast, even if that makes me late for things. That's not easy to do if you have to be at a job at 8:30.)

I think this, like so many other things, will come with time. I admire your attitude :)

At times like this, I cling to Karen's motto: "Progress, not perfection."

Victoria
Fri, Dec-14-01, 08:56
Dear Karson,
Everybody faces messing up, but it's getting back on track that spells success. (Lessara too--those potatoes do sound delicious!) But I think you spelled out the problem about not being prepared ahead of time. I feel for you folks working outside the home. I stay at home, and find it can take so much effort to make sure I have the right kinds of food around so I am not tempted. I still have to make meals for my kids, but as long as I have something planned for me---I'm usually OK. I did make sugar cookies with my granddaughter the other day. She enjoyed the whole process---making them, rolling them out....it was a delight to see her excitement (she is only 4 years old). I almost put the dough in my mouth--old habits! (Actually, I did put a piece in my mouth but quickly took it out when I realized what I did.) Everytime I succeed when normally I would have pigged out I feel more successful...so I try to dwell on that. But there are times I mess up. Then I just forgive myself, feel bad for a while---and then pick myself up and make good choices next time I put something in my mouth. It's almost like being an alcoholic, except we have to eat...an alcoholic can give up alcohol completely. So with this WOL it's one day at a time and sometimes one meal at a time.

I am an emotional eater. I can control myself when things are running smoothly. But find myself running to food when I get upset. Before, I would head for the sweets. But just the other day I found myself pigging out on peanuts, instead of sweets when I got upset. Ideally it would be better to not head for the food for emotional support. And I probably ate too many peanuts. But at least I am not breaking down and indulging in chocolate to make myself feel better. So I try to notice these changes, and find the victories where I can. :rolleyes: Victoria

alto
Fri, Dec-14-01, 09:02
Great post, Victoria :) I've been LCing for six weeks now (seems like six years) and am finding that planning and consciously breaking habits and old connections with foods is the key for me.

Sh'ra
Fri, Dec-14-01, 09:56
I needed to hear that post, Victoria. Stepped on the scale again today, and it was back UP to 257! I know I feel bloated and it's nearing TOM, but gimme a break! I feel I've been doing so well with doing the food and not getting far at all. My temptation is just to stop, eat "normal" for a few days, and start this all over again, but I don't want to lose the little ground I feel I've gained. It seems an awful kick in the pants to have lost nearly all the ground I felt I'd gained, though. *sigh*

Sh'ra

Lessara
Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:54
I have gone two days without eating potatoes and I made more last night and none passed my lips! :D No cravings.
Its tough sometimes because you just don't want to feel left out.
That's how I feel at times.

Sh'ra
Fri, Dec-14-01, 12:09
Lessara,
Congrats on that will of steel :)

It is hard not to feel left out. We had candlelight dinner for all the kids at this facility Wednesday, and they had the traditional Christmas feast of turkey, dressing, green beans, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry fluff, and cheesecake, so all I could have was a little turkey and green beans - HARD. But, at least I got the pleasure of letting two boys split my piece of cheesecake :D

I do think I'm modifying. I'm thinking of cutting way back on cheese and adding some berry types of fruit in minimal quantities. Least then I'd be "regular" in the restroom :D

Sh'ra

alto
Fri, Dec-14-01, 12:31
Hip hip hooray to Lessara! So this wasn't a mistake. It was an experiment. Now you know you can't eat potatoes :)

Sh'ra, I feel for you. I had the same thing last week -- bloat, constipation, then indigestion. It's taken eight days. I had cut out my one apple a day -- it's going back in.

That's the one thing I do NOT like about "Thin for Good." It allows 3 oz of cheese a day, but no fruit and practically no vegetables. Again, this may work for some people.

Put this week down to a failure of your digestive system, not YOU. Next week will be better. I didn't weigh last week because I could feel I'd gained. I began to feel lighter two days ago and got on the scale today -- and I'm down 2 pounds. I hope the same thing will happen to you.

I sinned today. I passed the street corner hot dog stand and stopped to get a Coke, as I've done for 15 years. Took it home. Drank it. It wasn't until I logged on that I remembered that that was not something I could do anymore.

kezza
Fri, Dec-14-01, 18:29
Sh'ra, don't get too discouraged about the weight gain.
Maybe it is pre- TOM bloating (I gain from 5 to 10 pounds!!!)
Maybe you have reached a plateau and the TOM month weight gain is making it look worse!? :q:

I WILL NOT weigh myself the week before TOM because I know I will get SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO discouraged and I can't afford to be mentally ' down' right now. Not after my recent brush with a chocolate cake! :rolleyes:

So keep going. You can do it. :)
We can all do it.
Go for it 250 clubbers!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
See ya,

alto
Fri, Dec-14-01, 18:56
Kezza, I think not weighing yourself the week before TOM is a great idea. Weigh yourself the second day of TOM -- or just wait a week.

Isn't it odd, how much we tell ourselves the scales don't matter -- and they don't -- but oh, how they do.

Hope you've recovered from Chcolate Cake Attacks.

Karson
Fri, Dec-14-01, 23:57
What a great treat to come home from working a double and find such uplifting words from my fellow low carbers. I have had a decent day at work and with my eating. This is a one day at a time situation for me, for sure. But boy do I wish I could :p just snap my fingers and have about 50 lbs at a time fall off.

Now back to reality. Today went much better since I took time to cook for myself yesterday. Amazing that taking care of myself pays off. If I don't take care of me, who will? K

Dizz
Sat, Dec-15-01, 01:33
Karson, if that works, please come and snap your fingers at me!

Karson
Sat, Dec-15-01, 08:50
Dizz, I wouldn't be greedy and keep that talent all to myself. Just wanted to let you know I really like the verse you use at the end of your posts. K

Dizz
Sat, Dec-15-01, 20:48
"Just wanted to let you know I really like the verse you use at the end of your posts. K."

Thanks K. I know at times its not "popular" to be Christian or people just don't want to hear it but I know I cannot do this alone. This forum to me is God sent, I pray for each of you daily and thank God that I have each of you. :angel: Diz

kezza
Sun, Dec-16-01, 00:54
Just wanted to jump in and say that my recent experiment with being extra strict with the carbs is helping me. :)
At long last the scales are moving downwards. I recently did claim a few pounds loss but I'll soon be claiming some more :D
I just want to wait a few more days because my loss has always been a couple of pounds down then one up and then a couple down and then a couple up..etc. (Does anyone else lose weight like that?) :q:

So I will wait a few more days before I claim the downward trend.

What has REALLY made the difference this time is the following;
-Being strict with the carbs
- Lots of FAT and PROTEIN (very filling)
- extra supplements to curb cravings
- 2 litres water a day
- Taking own LC food and drinks to parties.
- Writing EVERYTHING in my Journal- both successes and failures!

All of this advice I got from replies from members of this low-carb site and many of the 250 clubbers !! What great support! :spin: :spin: :spin:

And Dizz, I like your verse too. Thanks for the prayers as well!
See ya,
Kezza :wave:

wawtigress
Sun, Dec-16-01, 07:21
Hi , I just moved to the triple digits today even tho' I'm at 190 now and have 50 lbs to lose.There was never any response to the 190 club either thread and I want encouragement from reading other people's experiences and how they did it.So I don't know if a 250 will work or not. Wawtigress

SAMTigress
Sun, Dec-16-01, 08:09
Hi there...thought I should drop in. Sh'ra, remember my post -- you said I'd probably beat you to 250? Well, I'm happy to say I've done it...YEAH!! For two days I've waited to confirm it, 'cause I was told you should watch for two days to see if there is a change. There wasn't...I hit 250 -- YEAH, again.

:clap:

However, Sh'ra, I think when you reach it, there'll be more room for celebration...you'll have come a long way...longer than where you are now. It was just a matter of ten pounds for me, and 'Induction' helped with a lot of that. So, I think your hit will be much more dramatic...good luck with hitting 250.

Hey, and don't worry about the weight slip, that's bound to happen now and then, just remember how far you've come.

WAW (mom) -- there's bound to be a group out there...we'll find you one that fits your needs...hang in there. In the meantime, keep doing what you're doing -- including e-mailing me :D Love ya...xoxo

Victoria
Sun, Dec-16-01, 09:09
Kezza, That happens to me. I don't know if it's my scale, or water retention or what. But I go down 2 pounds and then up 1 pound, and then sit there for a while. It's up and down, but on a weekly view---the trend is down. So I try not to be too concerned from one day to the next. But try to notice weekly trends. I just lost another 2 lbs. But I probably won't change my stats for a couple of days, to make sure it is consistant.

Sh'ra, Are you eating salads? I eat tons of vegies, and don't have problems with constipation. Which is really weird, because before this WOL I would have that problem if I ate cheese. But now I can eat cheese and still be OK because I drink lots of water and eat at least two big salads a day. I use spinach or green leafy lettuce too...none of the regular head lettuce that isn't as nutritious. Just a suggestion. Oh, and I eat nuts more than before, which are good for fiber...so that might help also. I also have fruit once in a while...yesterday I had an orange with dinner. I know melons and berries are the best low carb fruits, but sometimes you gotta have an orange. :roll: Victoria

alto
Sun, Dec-16-01, 11:49
Congratulations to our first graduate, SAMTigress!!!!

And congratulations to Kezza, too, for getting the scale moving again -- and for posting the changes you made. There is a lot to be said for KISS (Keep It Simple, Sweetie), just sticking to the basics.

Victoria, funny thing about oranges. Maybe what's left of our body's system of natural food selection recognizes that they've got Vitamin C. Years and years ago, I tried Stillman for a week. It was my first real diet, and I lost 15 pounds! And on the eighth day, I was at the store buying my stuff for the next week and could not face it -- I bought six oranges and ate them that afternoon. (It was good, though, to eat six oranges and not six candy bars. :) )

Karson
Sun, Dec-16-01, 12:37
I have the same situation with down and the up for a day or two and then down to stay. Maybe it is our bodies adjusting things around or something. Surely with all the smart folks on this site someone can explain this phenomenon.

I have just completed my grocery shopping for the next week and am cooking for my lunches and dinner the next two days. I have to be prepared on Monday since I work an extra half shift. That means carrying all three meals with me to work. Thank God we have a refrigerator.

Are we all preparing for the final countdown to the big day 12/25?
I know that my family is asking about what I can eat but are not planning on giving up the usual carb laden sugar laden things that are traditional. Any body got a plan for taking care of themselves for this next couple of weeks? One thing I am doing is not bringing any gifts of food home. I am sharing these with those folks at work or in the neighborhood who can afford the calories, sugar and carbs. It is so hard for me right now because I adore shortbread and butter cookies and they are everywhere right now. It is a good thing to have you all there to support me. Thanks, K

sunsight13
Sun, Dec-16-01, 13:51
Alto, I love this thread. Although I "only" reached 230 I love the idea of having threads for different weights. My goal is to get to the 190 club in the next couple of months. I was looking for an "Alto" journal and didn't see one. It seems your goals (as read in the beginning of this thread) to just be normal and not focused on food and weight are similar to mine. I hate scheduled exercise and just want to feel good and be able to get out do stuff I enjoy. If you have a journal I would love to read it.

Although I too have had weight problems all my life, I am wondering if losing weight for the over 50 group is harder. It seems that it is harder for me now. I don't know if that is because I don't run after kids anymore or if that is a function of the body. Just curious.

Susan

alto
Sun, Dec-16-01, 14:05
Hi, Sunsight. I like the idea of "countdown" forums or threads -- I got the idea from alt.support.diet which, when I read them a few years ago, at least, had several: Countdown to 250, Countdown to 220, all the way down. I gathered sometimes someone would "graduate" from a group and start a new one, picking his or her new goal weight. It always reminds me of first grade, when we were divided into bluebirds and robins for reading :)

You're welcome here, of course -- and someone else had mentioned a few posts ago (please forgive me, but I forget who :( ) that she was looking for a support group, too, but was well under 250. And we just had someone "graduate" today who may be looking to start a new, lower countdown (and another one who's just a pound or two away).

So post here if you like, or start another thread and post something like "I'm counting down to 200. Who wants to join in?" On the Net, it generally does follow that if you post it, they will come :)

(I do have a journal, but it doesn't have my name in it. It did until yesterday, but I changed it. It's still in the A category, though, and you can find it because there's a column for "original poster" and my name is there. The name now is The Crawl Up Thin Mountain -- because that's how I feel now. I'm not going down -- that's easy -- I'm trying to climb up :) )

Karson, I sympathize with you having to lug three meals to work. That's tough. I had a problem with that several years ago, and it was an early factor in my last weight gain. I had to teach two days a week and it was a 2-hour subway ride to get there -- I had to leave at 6:30 in the morning. I didn't get home until 2:30, and often I had to work at night, until 11:00 or midnight. It was very hard to plan -- and often I didn't. I just gave up and grabbed something on the run. Good for you for planning!!!

Marlaine put up a thread on the Daily Low Carber about Christmas plans -- you might look there for tips. I don't do Christmas, so I don't have the temptations :)

Karson
Sun, Dec-16-01, 22:18
Thanks Alto for the tip on Christmas. Sounds like you have figured out a way to take care of yourself during the holidays. I do enjoy the holidays but this one will be a challenge as my first one since beginning LCing. I have a few tricks up my sleeve to take of myself and I'll bet the other won't even know it is 'diet' food ;).

It seems that everytime I come to this forum I learn something else. It is such a help. The gals at my office who are LCing or trying to, always comment on how innovative I am with my recipes. Of course, I give this site the credit due for the recipes and great tips.

Guess I had better get to bed so I can work tomorrow. K

kezza
Mon, Dec-17-01, 03:05
Thanks Karson for sharing that your weight loss is up and down like mine.
Yes...maybe some of the moderators might know why that is. :q:
I'm just glad the trend is downwards! :spin: :spin: :spin:
see ya

Sh'ra
Mon, Dec-17-01, 13:11
Originally posted by alto
That's the one thing I do NOT like about "Thin for Good." It allows 3 oz of cheese a day, but no fruit and practically no vegetables. Again, this may work for some people.

I'm not big on it with Atkins, either...no fruit, and minimal vegis. Hence, my modifications :)

Put this week down to a failure of your digestive system, not YOU. Next week will be better. I didn't weigh last week because I could feel I'd gained. I began to feel lighter two days ago and got on the scale today -- and I'm down 2 pounds. I hope the same thing will happen to you.

Thank you - you are sooo encouraging, and I appreciate it. I haven't stepped on the scale - I totally went off low carb this weekend - ate some doritos Friday night (my daughter was having a slumber party and they beckoned me); good thing was, they didn't taste nearly as good as I thought, and they're not as tempting anymore. Saturday was our staff Christmas shindig, and I did great on food (roast and salad), but did have two glasses of dry red wine (not on the list of low-carb foods, exactly). Again, though, I'm chalking it up to a learning experience and back on today.

I sinned today. I passed the street corner hot dog stand and stopped to get a Coke, as I've done for 15 years. Took it home. Drank it. It wasn't until I logged on that I remembered that that was not something I could do anymore. [/B]

You don't know how many times I've done that *LOL* I'll just be getting ready to buy a big jug of orange juice and remember that I'm not drinking juice, only eating whole fruit - but not until I'm in the checkout line. Takes awhile to break old habits, I guess :)

Sh'ra

Sh'ra
Mon, Dec-17-01, 13:27
SAMT,
Whooooo hoooooo! Congratulations!!! If you haven't started one already, maybe you should start a "countdown to 235" thread, so those of us running that direction can join you on it. Give us something to shoot for :)

Victoria,
I haven't been eating enough salad, no. Atkins limits the amount of salad for induction, but I've taken myself off induction until my body gets "regulated" again. I'm eating more salad now (not iceberg, but the good leaf lettuces and spinach), and added a tad of berries (no more than one cup fruit per day). I've also cut back somewhat on cheese. We'll see what happens!

Thanks, ALL, for your supportive words. This board helps me so much to forgive myself for falling and get back on track again, rather than just giving up.

Sh'ra

alto
Mon, Dec-17-01, 14:01
Glad you're picking yourself back up, Sh'ra. I know what you mean. I love the inspiration of seeing people who step on the low carb track and never deviate, and I stay away from message boards where all the posts are "Why did I eat that chocolate cake?" -- it seems that people are NEVER on the low carb track. But seeing people who are on 80% of the time, and slip, is not only encouraging but instructive. One can see the slip and perhaps avoid it oneself. (And also, writing down one's own slips helps, too.)

I've thought of a new image: we're like gymnasts on a balance beam. When we're just walking, we're fine. Try a back flip and, well.....even the Olympic ones fall off sometimes :)

Great photo, by the way. Glad you put one up.

Dizz
Mon, Dec-17-01, 15:04
Hey guys, I have those roller coster days as well. It's really weird because I don't do anything different from one day to the next as far as WOE.
I always take the lowest and post it even if I go up because I KNOW this is the weight that counts!
And I will get back to get no matter what. :daze:

SAMTigress
Mon, Dec-17-01, 15:17
Thank you ladies, for your support. I was really happy to see that extra pound slip away and stay away. I never thought I'd be ecstatic about weighing 250 pounds. I went ahead and started a new thread called, "Countdown to 235" per Sh'ra's suggestion. So, when you or anyone else are ready, join me over there. I'll check back here to, gotta see how everyone is doing here also. Hang in there! Have a super week!!

:wave:

Check the photo out...UGH!! -- double UGH!! UGH!! Can't weight till the camera decides to be nicer.

:D

Lessara
Mon, Dec-17-01, 15:29
I'm hoping I'm on my way to 250, with no scale or one to use, its hard knowing.. I hope to have a scale in a week or two. At least I know with this LCing, I won't gain ;)
You are all beautiful, by the way :)

Sh'ra
Tue, Dec-18-01, 11:33
Alto,
I am back up. I'm weighing back at 254 again; it had been swinging back up crazily to 257 for several days - hence the discouragement. But I took it easy yesterday, and added fruit back in while taking some cheese out, and I've stablized again. Hope to be back on the losing track again now :)

I like this board for the same reason. There are slips, but there is also encouragement to get back on track, and people aren't slipping daily or hem hawing around (My missouri way of saying they're not messing around). I'm really enjoying the encouragement.

Glad you like the pic. It looks really fuzzy on my computer, but I can't seem to get it to clear up any, so I'll live with it - until I lose and can take a new one :D
-------------

Dizz,
Good attitude! I tend to refuse to post a new weight until I have weighed at that for a few days - I get discouraged if I post it low and it goes back up. I would average the week like they do in CAD, but I'm too lazy to remember and write it down to average every week :)

-------------

SAMT,
Keep the faith, hon. And I LOVE the pic! I think it's great! I think we all see ourselves probably as worse or "more fat" than others see us. I know I hate having my picture taken, because I feel I look like Bessie the Heiffer in every one. But now that we're on a PERMANENT losing track, we can use these pics later as "before" pictures :roll:
------------------------

Lessara,
Ditto to you, sis. I always liked your pic.

Shalom to all,
Sh'ra

Dizz
Tue, Dec-18-01, 23:31
SAMT we are not saying Bye to you. We'll see you real soon!! Diz

Sh'ra
Wed, Dec-19-01, 08:23
I don't know what I expected, but I'm still at 254. *sigh* Guess I'm just impatient.

Sh'ra

alto
Wed, Dec-19-01, 08:49
Sh'ra, you've had a weird week. You've been sick -- your body may well be hanging on to water. I totally sympathize with the impatience but you know it will happen :) Chin up, girl :)

Lessara
Wed, Dec-19-01, 11:10
Hi Sis! Just letting you know I totally with you with this fustration at just going down and staying there! I've been bouncing between 289 and 292. It's like 289 is a wall. I'm losing faith in my LCing and I'm paying the price. I stopped drinking so much water and I ate sweet potatoes last night! Oh did I get a headache and every joint on my aches! I love how I feel on my LC so why do I let the number on the scale (heck the numbers on the tape measurer!) fustrate me so much. Even if I don't lose another pound I should be happy. Why are my results so darn unencouraging! :rolleyes:

Am I a hopeless case or what?! ;)

alto
Wed, Dec-19-01, 11:17
Lessara, I'm sure you're not a hopeless case. Are you running your numbers through fitday? Are you eating ENOUGH? Are you drinking enough water?

I agree -- unfortunately it's the scale that matters. BUT think of it this way. It's not possible to go from a size 28 to a size 8 dress without the scale moving! So at some point, the two have to catch up :)

Hang in there.

Sh'ra
Wed, Dec-19-01, 16:27
Alto,
I know you're right - just feeling the holidays, I suppose. Thanks.

Lessara,
Chin up, girlfriend. We'll console and encourage one another :) I'm going back on strict induction, too, but on December 26. I don't want to go back to really strict and feel that I'm being punished when I have to attend the holiday gatherings (I've got Hannukah and Christmas stuff to contend with, since some of us are Jewish, some Christian, and some Messianic Jews, so the holidays tend to last awhile ;) ). I want to be able to eat a little fruit for a few days.

But, on Dec. 26, I'm going back on induction. I have a sensitivity to eggs, too, I'm finding out. Especially if they're hard boiled, but in any shape really. I seem to get acid reflux when I eat them. Aside from taking some kind of zantac or something, I don't know what to do about it besides find something else for breakfast with protein. I haven't found a protein shake that didn't taste like rough-ground chalk, so that's not an option.

I'm going to really study Atkins book to see if I've been missing something as well - just to make sure I'm doing it right; that way, I'll have on hand what I need to eat.

Sh'ra

gecolon
Wed, Dec-19-01, 16:48
Move over and make some room for me. I can't believe what I am about to say. I can't weight (LC humor) to get down to 250lbs. I'm at 280 (floating up and down aroung 278) now and seeing 250 would look pretty good. Once I get down to 250 that will be almost 75lbs gone. Unbelievable. I can't weight. :hyper: :hyper:

Dizz
Wed, Dec-19-01, 17:12
Gecolon, I really want 250 as well but I really want 224 worst of all. The first 100 lbs WOW. That will be a day.

alto
Wed, Dec-19-01, 19:02
Come on in, gecolon. You've really been doing well -- you can spur the rest of us on!

Dizz, when you hit 250, 224 will be just a sneeze away!!

I'm curious if anyone remembers what 250 was like on the way up. I was thinking about this today. I'd been going between 240 and 250 for about two years (two very stressful years) and when I broke 250, my weight went up very quickly. To me, it was the change from feeling very fat (I'm one of those who's told she "carries your weight well" to being truly obese. I remember looking a bit puffy and bloated for about a year after I cleared 250; then it was as if the weight decided to settle in to stay. There was a real change in the body.

So I'm looking very much forward to 250, to see if the same thing works in reverse. I'm also looking at losing weight as a way to age going backwards :) I'm just about at the lowest weight for several years (269); then 260, a year before that, and 250, a year before that. That puts me back to 1995. So I'm doing a trip back in time as well as down the scale.

What about the rest of you?

Victoria
Wed, Dec-19-01, 23:20
I haven't been 250 for maybe 10 to 13 years...I had my last two kiddos at big weights. So my weight just kept on climbing. I started losing weight right before I had my last youngin. That was almost 10 years ago. Which was the last time I felt like I could lose weight.

Now I'm definitely done having kids, and I'm heading for pre-pregnancy weight. That is going to feel good, believe me. So maybe becoming thinner will turn the age clock back some. I know I have felt older, because of my weight. Now that I am losing and feeling more energetic, I think I feel younger too.

I am looking forward to being able to wear jeans again. Somewhere along the line, I gave up wearing jeans, because they were too uncomfortable. But I believe that I could make it into a pair by my 250 mark...yes that will be good! :daze: Victoria We are all on our way!!!

Dizz
Wed, Dec-19-01, 23:51
I know exactly what you mean Alto. 18 years ago I moved to Fort Worth weighing 225. I'm 5 foot. I promised myself I wouldn't go over 250. Then it seemed a matter of months and it was 280 then 300 and 324. I never disliked myself at any of those weights but all of the sudden, I felt out of control with no where to turn. I've tried a million diets, nothing worked. I made a decision to quit my job and concentrate on me and finding me again. Yes, my husband did flip out. However, after a couple of weeks he knew I had to do something, I was dying, in body, mind, and spirit.

In the course of 1 week, I had 3 different people who had lost weight on Atkins cross my path. They didn't say I needed to try Atkins only what it had done for them. Three people in 5 days. So I figured it was a God thing and I had better listen. Well!!! WOW, now I tell everyone who remotely is interested what Atkins has done for me.

As I go back down, I saw briefly 300, then 280, still dropping quickly to 270. You cannot believe the amount of support I have received from people at church and from this forum. The weight slowed as winter set in but hopefully I will be able to get to an indoor pool after the New Year.

My blood pressure has gone from 225 over 125 to 124 over 82. My weight has gone from 324 to 261. I can walk all the way across Walmart without limping. I can kneel at the altar rail to take communion. I can climb stairs to get to the seat at the show without huffing and puffing once I get there. I smile and even laugh. I am a nicer person, at least that is what I have been told.

I will probably go back to work sooner or later, but right now I want to take back everything I lost to fat. I want it all back and I am determined to have it.

:thup: Diz

Sh'ra
Thu, Dec-20-01, 12:35
Wow! What inspiring posts!

I remember when I was at about 200 (probably 12 years ago), telling my husband that if I ever weighed 300 pounds or more just to shoot me. I think, like Alto, that once I crossed that 250 line (not too long after that) it just started piling on and I went from overweight to obese. I'm tall, too, so I've always carried weight okay, and that has been part of the problem - I didn't see the problem coming until I was IN it.

I was a "chubby" kid, but grew out of it in junior high, and maintained anywhere from 135 to 145 through high school and for a couple years after. Got married and pregnant at 19, and still looked pretty good (at about 160) after I had the baby - that was nearly 16 years ago. But within a year after that I began to put weight on - I remember going from a very slim 14 (at 5'10", that's not bad) to a 16, then an 18, and up and up. It was when I began to realize that size 26 was becoming too tight to wear that I really came to grips with the fact that I had a problem. And seeing photos of me was absolutely horrible. I began to dread family gatherings because I knew some relatives would have cameras. I hated going to amusement parks, or the fair, or to movies, because the seats were too small and it was embarassing.

Coming back down, I was really glad to get back below 300 (that was nice :) ), and will be glad to see 250 again. I think 220 will be a milestone (again, same as above, because that'll be 100 pounds), but breaking that 200 mark is what I'm really looking forward to. I haven't weighed less than two hundred pounds most of my marriage. That thought keeps me motivated - being able to run without my ankles feeling like they're gonna break, or my boobs hurting. Being able to dance without feeling like people are looking at me (my own self-esteem issues still flare up occasionally ;) ). Being able to shop in regular clothes sections, and wear a swimsuit without mortification.

Ahhhhhh...until then, I keep reminding myself how far I've come, and how far you all have come. Between just those of us on this thread, we have lost a few PEOPLE already. THAT is a great feeling.

Shalom,
Sh'ra

Victoria
Thu, Dec-20-01, 20:50
What a great thought Sh'ra!
You all are very inspiring. It is good to be included in this group. Because we all are heading toward a great goal. It is good to be in company with folks that have been there and are on their way back.

Boy, Dizz...your blood pressure has gone down to great numbers. Isn't it good to start feeling better and more normal. I know I was very grumpy when I was out of control and continuing to gain. I'm still a grump at times, but usually it's because of certain circumstances--not a general all the time grumpiness. I like what you said that you want to take back everything that you had lost to fat. God is a God of restoration. He wants us to live lives abundantly...and I think that He cares even about how we take care of our bodies. (Joel 2: 25-26) Just thought of that scripture when I read your post.

Well :wave: gotta go folks! Victoria

alto
Thu, Dec-20-01, 21:32
Thanks for all your stories. We WILL have something to celebrate. But I think Sh'ra's point -- that we should think about how far we've come -- is a good one. I haven't lost very much so far, but I've changed habits and attitudes that had been spinning out of control for years.

Have a great weekend!!!! Last minute Christmas rush can be tough.

Sh'ra
Fri, Dec-21-01, 09:22
I may not be on this weekend, and will be out of the office in the afternoon, so just wanted to wish you all a wonderful and PEACEFUL weekend.

Shalom,
Sh'ra

Sh'ra
Fri, Dec-21-01, 09:32
HAD to do this today, just to inspire us all. There are so far 11 people who have come to this thread (Alto, Victoria, Dizz, Kezza, Karson, Lessara, WAWTigress, SAMTigress, Sunsight13, Gecolon, and me).

Between we 11, we have lost a TOTAL of 350 pounds! I counted! That is sooooo incredible!

Yes, I went through the thread and counted :D Had to appease my curiosity.

Sh'ra

alto
Fri, Dec-21-01, 09:36
A wonderful and peaceful weekend to you to, Sh'ra -- thanks for your tally. 350 pounds!!! So it can be done :)

I'm starting a more restrictive program today, Thin 4 Good, a variant of Atkins, but where portions are limited (5 nuts a day, 2 tbl soft cheese, etc.) It's an experiment. I've committed to doing it for 30 days. We'll see :)

Victoria
Fri, Dec-21-01, 10:48
Thank you Sh'ra for doing the math. Wow, now that is a good sized person we've lost. I like that...we didn't just lose a normal sized person, but a bigger sized one. That's even better. Just to let you know--I started writing down everything I am eating in my journal at home. I am going to try to start a journal here. So soon. My Mom is visiting, so I am more busy than usual. Having great fun, but also have to straighten up my house more than usual. So my moments at the forum are brief. I am still losing tho. I lost another pound. My Mom has been real supportive about my way of eating and has even tried the Mock Danish yesterday. She's on Weight Watchers but is willing to eat what I eat.

Alto--hope that works for you. You sound like you've tried it before. I'm not good with too many DON'Ts, but as long as you feel it will help. With me--if you tell me I can't, then I feel like I'm being deprived. Now I have set perimeters -- I am real strict about no sugar and obvious carbs, such as potatoes and rice and regular bread. But I like to have DO's too -- like now I can eat nuts and real mayo and real dressings. I eat fruit, but sparingly. Well, anyway...whatever works for you. :roll: Victoria

Lessara
Fri, Dec-21-01, 11:25
You are so cool! Have a great weekend!

I feel alittle down on myself... only alittle though. I had cookies yesterday. They had a cookie contest so there were cookies for dessert yesterday I ate 4. They were delicious. My favorite was an almond macaroon. I want to learn how to make a LC one.

I'm so afraid to measure myself. I haven't weighed myself in over three weeks and I'm scared I gained. I feel bloated but I always do during my TOM.

I was thinking about my childhood and I actually was a normally built child who's parents thought was fat. (Got to scan a picture in for you to see). I was chunky during junior high and the first two years of high school. My first TOM and a major growth spirt happened between my Sophmore and Junior year and I thinned out but didn't lose any weight. I was 135-140. I gained to 200 when I was in college. I gained to 250 after I had my daughter (14 years ago). I gained to 290 after I had my son (11 years ago). I gained to 325 after I lost a baby two years ago.
I wonder if the reason I hover around 290 is because I was 290 for years.

kezza
Sun, Dec-23-01, 06:08
Thanks Sh'ra for working out our combined weightloss!
Very inspiring!
Also that is the way to lose the weight, isn't it...TOGETHER!
I have been soooo inspired and encouraged by this whole forum but especially this new Countdown club and my journal.
It has been the difference between gaining and losing over the holiday season! So thanks guys.
My scales are hovering on and just below 264 pounds but that is good because the trend is downwards.

I can't remember when I was last 250 pounds but I was 202 pounds 7 years ago. So I must have passed 250 some time about 3 or 4 years ago. I certainly remember being my biggest weight.
I felt VERY uncomfortable that big but it is all relative -is'nt it?! Some people would be happy to be at my biggest weight- just as I look longingly at other people's biggest weights!!!

Happy Holidays Everyone.
Lots of blessings,
Love from kezza

Sh'ra
Mon, Dec-24-01, 13:45
Alto,
I hope it works for you, but I pray that you don't overdo it and starve yourself, sista. Let me know how it works! I'm going on strict induction on the 26th again, just to jumpstart myself. I've been hovering around 252-254 for three weeks now. I'll do induction, but severely limit my cheese; and I'll have to eat other eggs besides hard-boiled - they seem to give me severe acid reflux.

Victoria,
Glad your mom is so supportive, but sorry you're having to clean :D All the stuff we're doing this year is at other people's homes, so we lucked out - I don't have to do a bunch of cooking, and I don't have to deep clean my house....yayyyy!

I'm having to curtail my forum time, too, right now. Too much other stuff getting in the way.

Lessara,
Try not to get too down on yourself, darlin; look how very far you've come, how much healthier you look! And get on the scale as soon as TOM is over!!!!! I did that, too, and the longer I kept in "denial" and stayed off the scale, the more damage I did by making excuses.

Don't let it all go and give up the whole day/week over a few cookies, sista. I'm starting strict induction the 26th again, but I'm still being very careful - yes, I've allowed myself a little sugar at the special dinners - but let's agree not to just let go and gorge - fill up on all that great lc stuff, then have a teeny treat.

Kezza,
This forum has been very inspiring for me, too. Were it not for the wonderful people and encouragement here, I'd have quit and gone back to eating unhealthily again by now. And isn't it true! I see myself envying sometimes those whose start weight is 195...I think, "wow, I'd love to be there." :D Guess it's all a matter of where you're coming from - perspective.

Shalom all!
Sh'ra

K-Louise
Tue, Dec-25-01, 02:52
Hi all,

I'd love to join in this thread too. I decided to make 250 my first goal. I have just finished day 7 of induction for the first time at low carbing. I've taken to it like a fish to water. I feel so much better.

I survived Christmas lunch with no problem (is Christmas night already here in Australia). Ham, chicken, BBQ prawns and scallops with a ceasar salad :yum:

I made a desert last night to take along.. a cream cheese and AS jelly that you beat together to set. It was great. My dad is diabetic and he loved it too (so did the other's who didn't know why i made it.

I'm loving this forum too. Its a great help. I started a journal and all.

Ok well, hope you all have a great christmas too.

Kim.

kezza
Tue, Dec-25-01, 05:30
:thdown: Another Aussie too. :spin:
I'm sure you'll enjoy this club until you graduate down (weight-wise) to the next Countdown Club!
It's the only club I know of where all the members are encouring each other to reach the goal and leave! ;)

I survived Christmas Day too! YAY!
About 90 % low carb so I'm happy with that and no major cravings or pig-outs.
I too had cold meats and seafood and a ceasar salad (no croutons of course).
The only carbs that I let past my lips were some stone fruit and grapes but I paid for it BIG TIME with tummy pains.I don't think that my tummy is used to fruit any more!!
I also had a very thin slice of Christmas pudding with cream.

Any carbs I ate today would have been sweated off..it was 40 degrees celius !!!! :thdown: :(
I drank HEAPS of water.
I also exercised by having two huge water fights with my family (outside), to cool down. The kids got super-soakers for Christmas and were not afraid to use them!!! :daze:

I also treated myself to a low carb choc bar (made with splenda) for morning tea...and...I found out that the lable is correct when it says that consumption may have a LAXATIVE EFFECT!! :rolleyes:

Oh well, at least all the carbs went somewhere!!!(and not on me!)
I hope everyone had a great Christmas day too. Now let's get through all those New Years parties!!
see ya
kezza

alto
Tue, Dec-25-01, 09:14
Merry Christmas, everyone! I love the international flavor of this board -- in D.C., it's midmorning, yet I can read about a Christmas Past from Australia!!!!

Welcome, Kim -- and great photo.

Merry Christmas to all!

(Sh'ra, Thin For Good isn't starvation, really! :) So far it's going well. It's much easier than I thought, but I wouldn't have been able to do it when I started.)

Victoria
Wed, Dec-26-01, 00:25
Hi all,
I enjoy hearing from all of you. Yes, an Aussie Christmas sounds so different, but very fun! My neices and nephews live in Michagin and they've already had some snow.

I did have my 1 piece of pumpkin pie--I make a great pumpkin pie if I do say so myself...I should try sometime to alter it and make it lower carb. I think with some Splenda and a nut crust like Karen's no bake cheesecake, it might be great. At least for me. The kids love the original. But I think they would give it a try.

Well, tomorrow is another day. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. :wave: Victoria

K-Louise
Wed, Dec-26-01, 02:38
Hi Victoria, and all

Well.. Pumpkin Pie has never really taken off in Australia, although all my American Friends tell me it is delicious. I should try it sometime. I did remember seeing this recipe on one of my low carb recipe sites i'd saved. Here is a low carb (8 gram per slice) pumpkin pie, which looks like it should be ok.

Holiday Pumpkin Pie
Ingredients for Pie Shell:
1/2 Cup almond flour
1/4 Cup macadamia nut flour
1/4 Cup pecan meal
1/4 Cup Splenda® or Sweet-N-Low®
1 Pkt Sweet-N-Low® or Cyclamate (mixing sweeteners gives a sweeter, synergistic effect!)
4 Tbsp butter - melted

Ingredients for Pumpkin Filling:
1 can Pumpkin (not "Pie Filling" - it has sugar!)
1/2 Cup Splenda®
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar Twin®
2 Eggs - beaten slightly
3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
1 tsp Vanilla Extract (Use high quality unsweetened!)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Cloves
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1/8 tsp Ginger
1/2 tsp Cardamom or Allspice (optional)

Prepare pie shell: Melt butter in a small bowl. Add ground nuts and sweetener. Mix well.Press firmly into bottom and up sides of 8 or 9 inch pie plate and refrigerate until firm.

Preheat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, mix all filling ingredients in the order given. Use your own judgement about spices - some like a more cinnamon-y mix and others like less. This is your call, but amounts listed result in a rich, aromatic "classic" mix. You can also adjust sweetness to your own taste (if you're using the Canadian cyclamate based Brown Sugar Twin you'll get better, sweeter results than from the American sacharine based version.) Pour mixture into prepared pie shell and place in preheated oven until center tests done (about 45-55 minutes - ovens vary.) Allow to cool completely before serving.

This pie must be kept refrigerated (no sugar to act as a preservative), but this pie is amazingly delicious!! Top with artificially sweetened real whipped cream if you like (I do!) This pie is at its best the 2nd day!

Makes 8 servings. 8 carbs per serving (allowing for fiber.)

Hope this comes in handy.

Kim

K-Louise
Wed, Dec-26-01, 02:43
by the way, here is the URL for the site. There are some great recipies here:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/lowcarb-recipes.html

In case you haven't seen it before

Kim

Victoria
Wed, Dec-26-01, 10:20
Kim,
Your are a Sweetheart! I wrote down the recipe in my journal and will try it soon. It looks real similar to the original recipe I use, less eggs and less milk and of course not real sugar. The nut crust looks real good with the different types of nuts listed. I appreciate all your effort. I will look up the website, it should be helpful. I would like to know what Christmas pudding is? This sounds like a traditional dessert for you, true? Enjoy your holidays, :wave: Victoria

Victoria
Wed, Dec-26-01, 11:08
Dear Alto,
Just a quick note to say I love your new picture!!! I think you look softer and very friendly...I like your hair long. Someday I will get a picture up. It's nice to see who we are talking with. :roll: Victoria

K-Louise
Wed, Dec-26-01, 16:41
Christmas pudding is a rich dark pudding (cake like texture) made with lots of dried fruit and bandy and served hot with custard .... doubt i'll ever find a low carb version of that !!

*sigh*

Sh'ra
Wed, Dec-26-01, 16:54
Alto,
Love the new pic, sista! I like your hair longer, too :)

I had a not-so-good two days. Actually, the 24th wasn't bad. Went to a family gathering at my aunt's, and took two bites of a piece of chocolate cake - I couldn't stand the sweetness, and stopped.

But yesterday was different. Again, while we are Messianic Jews, some family members are not, so we went to celebrate gift-giving and lunch with my father and stepmother. I did fine there. BUT, she gave me a large box of belgian chocolates (((gasp!!!!))), which I later ate about 8 pieces of, out of sheer rebellion.

You'll be glad to note, though, that I didn't enjoy the last 6 pieces, and later I felt purely awful! Not mentally so much as physically - it made it VERY easy to get back to induction today, let me tellya. And, I brought the rest of that box of candy in to work and let the less enlightened folks pick away at it, so it's not home to tempt me.

Love to all!
Sh'ra

Victoria
Wed, Dec-26-01, 22:16
Hi Sh'ra,
I think taking the chocolates to work is a great idea. I had a few pieces of my kid's candy while I was stuffing their stockings...now I'll tell you, M & M's are usually my favorite. Not anymore! They tasted like this too sweet chocolate I had tasted once in Mexico. Ugh! I have to say tho, I haven't had any of their candy since. I'm not saying that any moment I may break down....but so far I've been strong. I think having a headache Christmas morning from the candy has curbed my desire for it as well. Thank Goodness!

I've done real well today. We had turkey dinner leftovers. But turkey and salad were a great combo for me. Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and look forward to a better year next year. There is hope!!! Victoria :wave:

alto
Wed, Dec-26-01, 23:57
Kim -- thanks for the recipes :)

Sh'ra -- I understand the "rebellion" thing. It's so childish, and I've done it so often. Sometimes it's when I haven't lost -- gettinga back at Whoever -- but sometimes it's when I have. There's no logical reason for it, but powerful emotional ones. What is it in us that says "I want to be thin but I want to eat anything I want any time I want it?" Where did that COME from? (I don't think it's inborn!)

Victoria -- glad you're staying strong. Congratulations!

I had an easy, pleasant holiday -- no temptations, and I needed that this year. I have to go out to dinner tomorrow night with an old friend, and I cannot tell him that I'm on another diet. I just can't. So I'll have to be subtly good. As long as I can stear us away from Chinese or Italian, I should be ok. I may not be able to stick to Thin4G, but I'll stick to low carb.

I have had another scale crisis, though -- I think my current one is under-weighing me. I posted the story in my journal. I won't be sure how much until tomorrow morning, but I may have to change my start and current stats again.

A better new year next year to everyone :)

kezza
Thu, Dec-27-01, 03:18
Hi guys,
Hope everyone made it through Chrissy okay. :)

Recently I decided to read the Carbohydrate's Addict's Diet Book.
I was curious but extremely cynical. :rolleyes:
Well, I read it ...and....I'm going to try it for the rest of my school holidays (that is until the end of January 2002). If I have not lost any weight or have put on weight by then I will go back on Atkin's. :thup:
If I have lost weight and feel well, I'll continue with CAD.
So I'll keep you posted how I am going and obviously my Journal will reflect some BIG changes, especially those Reward meals.
Hmmm...I'm still sceptical but I will stick with the diet to trial it properly.
Has anyone in this club had any experience with CAD ??
I'm open to negative and positive experiences/ advice/ sugestions/ support/ warnings.

K-Louise, sorry about that 'thumbs-down' symbol at the beginning of my welcoming statement to you...it was meant to be near my comment about the HOT weather!!
I hope that you are not near any of those dangerous fires in NSW and that if you are you and your loved ones are safe.

See ya ,

K-Louise
Thu, Dec-27-01, 04:41
I tried this for a little while before starting on Atkins, and it didn't work for me, but I know others it has. I think my problem was that i used the reward hour for a total binge, not the idea, and the no snacking between meals was hard for me too. I like to have somthing every 2-3 hours (even if its small). Let me know how you go with it, I'd be interested.

The bushfires are not near me (I'm on the coast), but the smell of smoke in the air is awful - it woke me up this morning. The air is thick and hazy. It really is devastating, 100 fires over 2/3 of New South Wales. It will take a lot to get the wildlife back when the vegetation regrows.

Take care
Kim

Victoria
Thu, Dec-27-01, 09:04
What is it? Pride goeth before a fall? I spoke too soon. It seems that as soon as I wrote to you guys that I was staying strong, I messed up big time. I ate fudge!!! Ugh! So today is another day...lots of water and careful food planning. But you had better believe I sent the rest of the fudge to work with my husband! He is very thin and doesn't have a weight problem at all. Infact he has trouble keeping enough weight on.

The kids are almost done with the chocolate, thank God! So life is getting back to normal. My Mom is leaving and traveling back to Texas. I will miss her, but have had such a wonderful time visiting with her. Well, anyway....thank you all for your support. You are all great! :daze: Victoria

Sh'ra
Thu, Dec-27-01, 09:12
Victoria,
I'm not used to the over-sweet stuff anymore, either. Guess I can say that's a good thing :) Today, I brought in honey coated macadamias and chocolate covered nuts that also came our way for the holidays *sigh* Why did they mess up perfectly good macadamias with that??? Oy! But, better on my office mates' hips than mine :D

Alto,
Yep, it is childish. I suppose it is as what the Apostle Sha'ul (Paul) said, when he stated (paraphrased) "Those things I want to do I don't do, and those things I don't want to do, I do!" Apparently he struggled with that rebellion as well. We WANT to lose weight. We don't WANT to eat the wrong things - but we do it anyway, out of emotional excuses or just plain rebellion. I know part of my "rebellion" was that I was very tense at my parents' home. I love them a lot, but they are the type of people that it is hard to be around for any length of time without feeling like you're reverting back to being a child and wanting to run away :)

Kezza,
I did CAD before I ever thought to try Atkins. At the time, I felt Atkins was too restrictive, and I wanted that reward meal. Like K-LOUISE, though, I used the reward meal as an excuse to binge. I knew that you were supposed to do a salad, then 1/3 of vegis, 1/3 of carbs, and 1/3 of protein; and then keep matching it if you got seconds - and finish everything in 60 minutes. Well, you'd be amazed at how much you can eat in 60 minutes, and how much salad you can shove in if it means a little more carbs. Because I am a "true" carb addict, it just seemed to make me crave more, so I was not very successful doing it.

However, I have known many people who have done very well on CAD, so take heart. As long as you don't use it as an excuse to binge, you'll be fine.

K-Louise and Kezza,
I'm sorry to hear about the fires. I hadn't even heard about them here in MO (so much news about the terrorists and Afghanistan, there isn't much covered on the rest of the world *sigh*). I hope that the fires are gotten under control soon. It's always devastating when so much is burned - looks like a wasteland for years; but then, it does come back after a few, and greener than before. I'm going to look online with the news services so I can read up.

Shalom, all,
Sh'ra

Sh'ra
Thu, Dec-27-01, 09:34
Hey, Victoria, clean out your private mailbox, willya? I can't send anything to ya :D

alto
Thu, Dec-27-01, 09:54
Hi everyone. Glad everyone made it through Christmas in more or less one piece.

My scale was off by eight pounds. I changed both start and now rates -- I did NOT gain eight pounds this week!!!!! :)

Kezza, I tried CAD for about two days. It didn't work for me, because I never had any trouble not eating carbs at dinner. It's breakfast and lunch where I needed the carb indulgence (cereal and sandwich and fruit) and doing the Reward meal for lunch didn't work.

But as others have said, I've known others who did lose on CAD, and I hope it works for you.

Kim and Kezza, I hadn't heard about the brush fires either. Our news is HORRIBLE on international coverage. We have similar spats of fires, especially on our West Coast, and when they're burning, it seems as though the world will burn -- 1000 acres, 2000 acres. How can there be any forest left? But the forests seem to come back within just a year or two. Nature is much more amazing than anything man has done!

Victoria, you did very well, I think, if you only got into the fudge once -- and got rid of it immediately.

Sh'ra, I think you made the connection -- maybe this is another habit or learned behavior problem, but sort of at one remove. You weren't rebelling at the WOE, but at your parents, and doing it through the WOE, because as children the one thing we can do to drive our parens crazy is A) make noise and B) mess with food!!

Have a great day everyone.

Victoria
Thu, Dec-27-01, 10:17
Alto,
You are too kind! But I don't feel that way. I have to try not to be too hard on myself---but I have to be hard on myself to keep going. If that makes sense? I just don't want to take it lightly and shrug it off. I have to make sure that the temptation is gone, because there is always times in the day where I am weaker. Why is that? One moment you can turn down very tempting things, and the next moment the strength is gone. It all starts in the head I think. But this morning I ate some cottage cheese and mexican cheese. VERY filling and light on the carbs. I think today it is important to eat very low carb and very satisfying foods to keep the desire for something BAD down.

But I appreciate your encouraging words Alto. Sometimes when I read people's journals and they are so...strict with themselves....it makes me squirmy. Like going to someone's house that is SO CLEAN that you don't feel comfortable enough to sit down. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else at all. But it is good to know that people do make mistakes, so that we know we are NOT alone in this. It is one day at a time!!! Love you guys! :rheart: Victoria
P.S. Alto--I know it must be hard to realize that your scale has been untruthful with you. But the truth will set you free! It's good to know where you are really at---for the long haul. Ten pounds down the line, you won't even remember this episode. At least now you know where you truly started from. And when you get to your goal, it will be even more of a victory!

Sh'ra
Thu, Dec-27-01, 10:29
I'm sticking to my untruthful scale - as long as it's going down, I don't wanna know if it's lower than others :) I'll get an accurate one when I get closer to my goal weight. Don't think I could stand going back up - Alto, you have a will of steel, my dear.

Victoria,
Amen on your post. I have to be strict with myself and don't want to have a lassaiz faire attitude about this, but I also don't want to be so rigid that I fail and binge due to denying myself too much or too quickly. And each time I "cheat" is a learning experience for me - I learn what my triggers are, and that it's not as good as I expected it to be. Those are some good lessons :)

Sh'ra

Victoria
Thu, Dec-27-01, 10:40
Yes Sh'ra, I like that. It is a learning lesson. I want to learn the lesson and not to ignore it or deny it. Yes, failure and shame will lead to binging with me. So when I fail, I have to take it very seriously and make good food decisions right away so it becomes a "past" thing and not a continuing failure. So I could use some prayer if any of you think of me today. Thank you. ;) I think this is the first time in my life where I feel I have the answers to this compulsion for food. So as long as I eat lots of the right types of food, I will stay away from the wrong ones. But I'm sure it could have to do with emotional stresses also. Well, anyway....every day is a new day...Thank God! :p Victoria

Sh'ra
Thu, Dec-27-01, 11:16
Victoria,
Will be praying throughout the day, sis. I know how you feel - it is so tempting to eat when those trigger emotions crop up, because that is one place we have gone to for comfort before - and comfort foods tend to be high carb foods. There's chemical reason for that, too, ya know.

Carbs raise blood sugar levels (for a time), and some complex carbohydrates will even raise serotonin levels (that lovely chemical that gives us a sense of well-being) for a time; that is why when we are stressed and/or depressed, we automatically want to turn to carbs - they actually DO make you have a very temporary sense of "I really do feel better." However, the problem is that they are temporary, and the blood sugar, serotonin, and beta endorphin (another feel-good brain chemical) drop quickly, and you're back searching for more carbs to raise them back up again.

The good thing is that the longer we LC, the more all three of these chemicals will regulate themselves, so there won't be spikes (emotional highs) followed by extreme lows....mood swings, anyone? I'd been interested one day to do a survey of the people on this board and see just how many suffered from mood swings before turning to LC.

Shalom,
Sh'ra

kezza
Fri, Dec-28-01, 03:50
Hi everyone,
I just heard on the news tonight that the fires in New South Wales, around Syney are raging on a 600km front! Imagine a fire stretching in a line that long. (obviously there are some gaps and it is not in a straight line). Anyway no property was burnt today so that is good. I'm pleased to hear you are safe, K-louise. :)

Thanks for all the comments about CAD. It is great to know I can come here are ask questions and seek advice without being 'told off' or made to feel silly. I suppose we have all had enough of that in our lives!! :rolleyes:

Well...after writing my last reply here about swapping over to CAD from Atkins, I thought I would see if there was some more info on this site about CAD and there was!!! YAY! :)

I read some great advice about CAD being abit outdated and I needed to read the CALP version (Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program). So this morning I got hold of that and have made the necessary adjustments.

So...so far I have had one day on CAD and one day on CALP and am going fine. I have'nt put on weight, which is good. I'll weight myself everyday at the same time and average the weight over a week before I post any losses.
i'm not feeling hungry, probably because I am having bacon and eggs for breakfast. (I learnt that on Atkins...if I had a high protein breakfast I would make it through to lunch just fine).

The Reward meals have been interesting. Tonight I did it properly and there was no way I could fit any more food within the hour specified for eating. I only ate a normal serving sizes and I had to rush to fit my dessert in. At this early stage I don't feel like binging . When I go shopping and walk past carb- based food I usually would LOVE to eat, and now can, I don't really want to buy it and eat it during my reward meal...Strange. Maybe some of my cravings were more just desiring to have something forbidden.
Okay, enough of my ravings!!! The proof will be in the weightloss.
I'll keep you all posted.
I hope everyone else is going fine.
see ya

Victoria
Fri, Dec-28-01, 09:21
Kezza,
I am interested in the differences between the CAD and CALP. I guess I could look for the book. But I'm interested in how it goes with you...keep us posted. Will be looking for your successes! ;)

I'm sorry to hear about the fires in your country. I live in California and we have forest fires in the summer and early fall quite frequently. Now that it has gotten colder and wetter, it's not a problem anymore. But my Aunt had a close call this fall--their home was spared (thank God), but they did have to be evacuated. It is frightening! Hope you all are OK. :) Victoria

kezza
Sat, Dec-29-01, 07:02
Victoria, I have tried to outline below the main differences between CAD and CALP.
Both diets are by Dr Rachael and Dr Richard Heller.

They wrote the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet (CAD) first. (My copy of the book was published in 1993)
The main principles are;
1.Eat Complementary Meals Daily
-That is high fibre, low fat and low carbo meals

2. eat a Reward Meal Every Day
-any food you desire, any quantity, as long as the meal is nourishing and well balanced

3.Complete your Reward Meal within one hour
-By finishing the meal within the hour you are trying to avoid a second release of insulin .
The first release of insulin when you started the Reward Meal should be low because you only ate low carb meals all day.

4. All alcohol to be consumed during Reward Meal

5. Absolutely No Between-Meal Snacking is Allowed

After two weeks on the Entry Diet of 2 low carb meals and one Reward Meal a day then there are guidelines to follow about adding low carb snacks and extra salads with the Reward Meal.

The Carbohydrate Addict's lifespan program (CALP) is more current. (My copy of the book was published in 1998).

The main principles are;
1. eat a balanced Reward Meal every day
-a bowl of salad needs to be consumed first
-you can eat whatever you want BUT you must eat 1/3 LC protein,
1/3 LC vegetables and 1/3 carbos (this includes your dessert)
- you can eat more serves if you want but it must be in the 1/3,1/3, 1/3 portions.
-alcohol and extra coffee with milk, softdrinks etc must all be consumed only with Reward meal.

2. Complete Your Reward Meal within the One Hour - MUST NOT go past this hour guideline or more insulin is produced

3. Eat only Craving -Reducing (LC) foods at all other meals and Snacks.
After 2 weeks on the BASIC PLAN using the above guidelines, you can chose from lots of Options to encourage / maintain weightloss. The Options are to do with exercise, supplements and artificial sweetners, etc.

Soooooo......I think the main difference is that the CALP diet forces you to eat alot of salad and veges with any carbs you consume at the Reward Meal. This makes it difficult to binge because you have to eat vast quanties of protein/ veges to keep everything in proportion. :daze: :daze:
In my very short experience with the diet (3 days) I have found that even though I am eating carbs at my Reward Meal I don't want to go overboard. I can barely get all the food eaten within the hour- I have to rush to get dessert and a coffee in. :D

I won't go into all the lists of what you can eat for the Complementary meals, but basically the food is low carb and low fat. But there is no weighing and measuring and if you are hungry you can really fill up on salad and protein. :thup:

I won't even try to explain how it all works chemically but just as Atkins is after a particular chemical reaction in the body (ketosis), CAD and CALP are focusing on insulin production.

If anyone wants to follow CAD or CALP please don't follow what I have written here. Get the books from the library and read up on all the stuff I could'nt write. :idea:

Enough about CALP.
I hope that everyone is doing fine.
See ya

alto
Sat, Dec-29-01, 10:00
I've finally read something about the Australian fires, Kezza -- and they believe it was arson! That is all the more horrible, of course.

I'd read both CAD and CALP when they first came out, and I think this was another plan that at first didn't take into account the capacity for some people to binge. There were articles about CAD, of people who did not lose, because they took the "eat anything you want for an hour" to mean cake, cookies, ice cream. I think your question about wanting something forbidden is a good one. I don't think there's good research on this -- or more properly, I don't know of any. Some people really truly are addicted to carbs. One taste and they're gone. They're like alcoholics who'll drink cooking sherry and rubbing alcohol. They NEED it. And there are people who have food-mood habits, or just plain habits. And there are people who eat huge quantities of food, or just normal quantities of the wrong foods, constantly :) It seems common sense to me that there should be a different approach for each type (and there may well be more types). Telling the carb addict s/he's "bad" for wanting cookies or "just stop eating so much" creates shame where none should be and doesn't help the problem.

Anyway :) (forgive diversion) I think CALP, and Protein Power both realized by their second books that portion guidance was necessary. Even Atkins, as I remember the 1970s version, was "eat all you want! Drown yourself in cream, munch on cheese all day, slather butter on your steak" and that language isn't in the newer books.

Have a good weekend, everyone :)

By the way, I was thinking of starting a new thread for January (and doing so every month, if the threads were fairly long). What do you all think of that? I don't think it matters to the forum -- there are some very long threads here, and they work fine. To me, it gets confusing when a thread is very long, and perhaps discouraging to new people to join in because they think they have to read 10 pages of posts. But some people like very long threads for the sense of continuity. What do you all think?

Victoria
Sat, Dec-29-01, 11:44
Hello Kezza,
Thank you for the explanation. I have checked out CAD from the library, but didn't finish it completely....I gleaned what I could from it. I like the fact that it had recipes in it, but was surprized that they didn't list how many carbs were in them. The original book I read highlighted different approaches, one of them being CAD. I use it every so often if I know I am going out to eat. But you do have to limit snacking and limit carbs severely for breakfast and lunch. So I kind of worked out my own version, which works for me. But I am interested in reading their new book to see what changes they made. I have to credit the Heller's for peaking my interest in low carb eating. It was at least 5 years ago when I heard about their plan. I just never thought I could give up BREAD. But I did realize that was probably my problem. It wasn't until I tried it, after reading "How I Gave Up My Low Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds!" by Dana Carpender, that I realized I could do it. It's a big difference between knowing that something is what you SHOULD do and being ABLE to do it. I think that is the HOPE I feel. It is possible.

Alto, I don't know about the new thread thing. I kinda like it the way it is---so you have one place to follow everyone. But you do what you want. I will find you, I'm sure. :daze: Have a happy New Year, everyone! Today is my granddaughter's birthday!!!! We are doing Chuck E. Cheese for her party. :rolleyes: What fun!
:p Victoria PS Anyone finding the forum difficult to get around lately ?...it's been very slow and very difficult to navigate today.

kezza
Mon, Dec-31-01, 01:49
Hi Alto,
I kinda like the thread the way it is . :)
Those of us that have been writing in it can pick it up at the'new' end and other people can skim through the pages if they want to.
Having lots of pages shows people that we are 'active' in out replies.
But if you change it, I'm like Victoria, I'll find it and join you again.
;)
Thanks again for starting this thread.
see ya,

Sh'ra
Mon, Dec-31-01, 12:47
Well, FINALLY, I lost a bit and broke the stall - went from 254 to 251. Of course, I was dead dog sick all day yesterday, which could have helped. I don't recommend that particular way to lose weight :rolleyes:

Anyway, at least the stall is broken - only one more pound to 250.

Alto, I kind of like the thread all staying together. I know it's long, but when I first came to this board, the long thread on the triple digits club is what introduced me to this forum. I like the continuity. And, it might be confusing to a newcomer to see two threads on basically the same thing. But whichever you want, I'll fly along - I'm just grateful to have you all to encourage and be encouraged by.

Hope you all had a great weekend.

Shalom,
Sh'ra

alto
Mon, Dec-31-01, 13:16
Congratulations on hitting the 251, Sh'ra -- sorry you've been sick again. I hope all bugs leave you as the clock strikes 12 :)

Victoria
Mon, Dec-31-01, 14:59
Hi there people,
I am still sick also and am on enough Ibruprophin to keep me feeling human. What a way to start the new year, but at least it works out that I am sick when I don't need to babysit my 4 year old granddaughter. So it is good timing, really. I should be well before I'm back on duty, on Wednesday.

Sorry to hear you've been sick Sh'ra. It seems like you were sick just a week ago or so. Here's to better health in the new year. Wow! You're almost there...just one more pound to hit 250! That must feel good. :roll: God bless you all! Victoria

Sh'ra
Wed, Jan-02-02, 09:20
Alto and Victoria - thanks!

Yes, Victoria, I was just recently sick. I'm usually the healthiest person I know, but for some reason, this fall and winter has hit me hard - I can't seem to shake the sniffly headcoldy stuff, and over the weekend had a really nasty illness - blech! My husband and half the town was also down sick - must've been some bug flying around.

I pray it doesn't go further than this one. I'm beginning to think it's my diet :)

I pray that all of you have a blessed year to come!

Sh'ra

Victoria
Wed, Jan-02-02, 11:30
Sh'ra,
Are you eating your vegies? I started taking echinacea and goldenseal when I got sick. I'm hoping that will get me thru it quicker than usual. Plus, lots of water and herb teas.

This is the time for flu and colds. I was hoping I'd miss the flu season. But with my kids and granddaughter in school. They are exposed to more bugs.

Well, one good thing...it helps with weight loss. I've lost several pounds, probably from sweating with fever. :rolleyes: Well, and all the water I'm drinking.

Here's to better health to you! You don't really think it's your diet, do you? ;) Victoria

kezza
Thu, Jan-03-02, 06:13
Sh'ra and victoria, hope you both get better real soon. It's horrible being ill. :(

Well I have good news! :D
I reported in my Journal yesterday that after weighing myself each day for my first week on CALP....the average weight was exactly what I started with...YAY!!!
:) :) :)

Now why am I excited about that?? :q:
Because I REALLY did'nt think I could eat those Reward Meals AND not put on weight....and...it is nearly TOM and I always put on 3 to 6 pounds or more!!! So staying the same is UNREAL!!!

BUT there is more good news... :D
I jumped on the scales this morning and I was down to 119kgs /262.4 pounds!!!
I won't change my weight statistics yet but I was soooooo pleased I could not wait to tell you all. :thup:
It will be interesting if the weight averages out the same over the next week!!!

6 days on the Basic Plan of CALP and then I get to chose from Options .(Not food really: more like supplements, exercise, stress relievers). :roll: :roll:

So any way ..so far so good!! :D

I hope everyone is going well!!
see ya

Sh'ra
Thu, Jan-03-02, 10:35
Victoria,
I have to get to the store and buy more echinacea/goldenseal. My daughter confiscated the last of mine :) I do know it helps with infections, and have used it a lot in the past. I'm on the mend as far as the blechhy stomach virus, but the sniffles are just hangin' right in there.

Hope you get to feeling better as well. This is NOT the way I wanna lose weight :D

Kezza,
Thanks for the wishes, and CONGRATULATIONS! I'm excited for you! I never did read CALP - just CAD; maybe I'll pick up a book one day soon and see the differences.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Shalom,
Sh'ra

Victoria
Fri, Jan-04-02, 00:27
Kezza,
Your new approach sounds like it's working for you. I am so happy for you. You have peaked my curiosity, I will have to look for the Heller's new book. You sound like you've given it a good amount of time to see if it would work. And it has!!! What a thrill it must be for you...your enthusiasm is contagious. :roll: Thank you for your kind words. I am feeling much better, just a cough now. I told my nephew today that I was going to die laughing...when I laugh I end up coughing uncontrollably. But you know---that wouldn't be such a bad way to go, with a smile on your face. ;) (My nephew is only 15 and hilarious!)

Shra,
My oldest daughter does the same thing. She uses all my medicine, laundry baskets, tupperware etc. So I've gotten used to just buying more, if I need it. Love those kids! :spin: Victoria

alto
Sat, Jan-05-02, 00:27
Just wanted to stick my nose in and say hi! Good news, Kezza. I'm glad you've found something that works for you, and that you enjoy!

Sh'ra and Victoria, feel better :)

Everyone said they'd prefer to keep the thread going rather than start a new one for a new month, so ... let's keep the thread going :)

I've lost the two pounds I gained pre-Christmas, so I'm happy -- it only took three days! I'm very glad my new Nasty Scale can go down as well as up :)

K-Louise
Sat, Jan-05-02, 01:50
Well done Alto.. woooo hooooo. You are doing well aren't you!

Glad you are feeling good :cheer:

Kim

Dizz
Sat, Jan-05-02, 11:13
Alto, it was, at least for me, easy to put on the 3 lbs at Christmas. I had decided after 6 months I would eat with the family, not overeat just eat. So I did but I found it wasn't as easy to decide to stop. WHEW!! That is work. I have now lost the 3 lbs I added at Christmas and am back to 261. I don't think I want to do that again. It too hard starting over.

What do you guys do for exercise. I looked into indoor pools, YMCA and hospitals. WOW are they proud of their warm water. haha So I need something for someone whose knees cannot take the walking. Any suggestions?

kezza
Sun, Jan-06-02, 12:52
hi guys,
Yep, I am happy with CALP , Alto,and I'm glad my enthusiam is shining through, Victoria! :D
BUT I just wanted to let you all know that I KNOW that you can lose weight on Atkins and other LC diets so please don't think I want you all to change over to CALP!! :daze: :daze: I'm just really excited about CALP at the moment!!

I just started to find my weight loss was slowing down on Atkins and was at the library looking for the Protein Power diet book when I found CAD and then CALP!
As I said here when I swapped from Atkins to CALP, I would do the diet properly until the end of January and then make a decision about whether to continue or swap back.

Sometimes I think our bodies become incredibly efficient and adapt to diets over time. A different diet may 'kick- start' that tricky metabolism. :exclm:
It's a bit like shampoos! Have you ever noticed that if you change to using a different shamppo occaisonally your hair REALLY shines and feels great? :thup:
Anyway, enough of my ramblings!! :rolleyes:
I hope you are all feeling well and doing well on your favourite LC WOE
love,

alto
Sun, Jan-06-02, 15:00
Hi, everyone. Thanks, Kim. Doing pretty good :)

Kezza, I think you have a point about our bodies getting used to one plan. I've noticed, reading journals, a lot of people "mixing things up" -- after they've been on a long while.

Dizz, I have bad knees, at least when I'm going up or down stairs, but still walk. I figure the knees are linked to the weight; I just began having trouble a year or two ago. I have found that when I force myself to walk downstairs, the knees get better. I'm trying to walk at least a half-hour a day, indoors if I can't do it outdoors. Once upon a time, when I walked at least an hour a day, I felt much better, and I'm aiming for that.

Dizz
Sun, Jan-06-02, 21:40
Thanks for the response Alto. My family all have terrible knees (even the skinny ones). Since losing the 64 lbs I have been able to shop again without crying but just can't go the distance on concrete. I pulled out my thing I don't remember what it is called but you look like you are walking but you are actually swinging your legs back and forth. You see them advertised on TV never worked before but then I wasn't on Atkins either. So I've pulled it out of storage and cleaning it up to use. I'll let you know what happens.

Sh'ra
Mon, Jan-07-02, 15:17
Hi, all!

I haven't looked at the scales yet, so don't know if I hit 250 or not yet, but I don't feel like it, so I don't wanna step back up and get upset that I gained back the "sick"weight. Anyhow, I changed my LC plan for now (Alto, I think I'm finding some similarities with you and switching plans - ya think we just get bored quickly? :D )

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well and taking care of themselves.

shalom,
Sh'ra

Sh'ra
Wed, Jan-09-02, 09:48
Hey, all - this thread's not too busy. I"m having a bad week - bounced back up to 254 and have stayed there, and have not been doing well concentrating on my food. I'm re-assessing what I want - what I can handle, etc.

How's everyone else doing?

Shalom,
sh'ra

alto
Wed, Jan-09-02, 10:51
I've been "on program" (until yesterday, when I had a very stressful, problem-filled day and bought two Cokes and a Snickers bar; down a pound this morning -- I know there's no connection. I'm still looking for the Coke and Snickers diet, though.)

I'm re-reading Protein Power. I want to have a week of structured menus before I go grocery shopping this week.

Sorry you're in the dumps, Sh'ra. You've been sick; that does things to your body. Give it time :)

Lessara
Wed, Jan-09-02, 11:07
How are you doing, Sh'ra?? I've been worried about you!
Also about all the knee pains I have seen! :eek:

I too have aches in the knees, I had to go to physical theropy for mine (I had a bad walking pattern) Its better since I lost some weight but most of the pain stopped since LCing.

How are you two?

kezza
Thu, Jan-10-02, 04:59
Hi guys,
just pooped in to say 'Hi' and tell you my good news.
At the end of my second week on CALP my weight averaged out over the week is 263.65 pounds!
I started CALP at 264.96 pounds and Today's weight= 262.4 pounds!
Sorry about all the decimals but I have to change my weight from kilograms to pounds and suddenly all the decimal places appear!!
Anyway...Obviously I'm really happy about the diet but I have have observed some possible pitfalls :thdown:

1. I REALLY have to be vigilant about the length of my Reward Meal. I glance up at the clock at the first taste of food and note the time. The time has to start if I taste the food while I'm preparing it.

2. I need to have that pre-reward meal salad organised so I can eat that first

3. I need LOTS of salad 'fixings' in my fridge and need to stock up several times during the week.

4. I need to make sure that any snacks/ other meals are at least half protien and half salad/veges

5. I have had to get rid of all my diet drinks (not recommended on CALP)

6. I have to be really honest with myself to make sure my Reward meal, AFTER the salad, is 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs, 1/3 salad or veges. It is easy to pretend the meal is balanced but you have to count drinks and dessert in the 1/3 carbs!!

But besides the weight loss I have noticed some positives :thup:
1. I'm drinking more water...because I can't have diet drinks.

2. I'm not feeling too deprived when the family eats carbs. I just make sure I save a bit of it for my reward meal.

3. The grocery bill got cheaper!

So I'm off to start week 3 now and i will still stick at CALp, as I promised, for all of January and then kept on it or go back to Atkins.

See ya,

alto
Thu, Jan-10-02, 10:41
I'm so glad it's working for you, Kezza. Thank you for the report and for all those terrific tips!

Sh'ra
Fri, Jan-11-02, 09:11
HI, all!

Thanks Alto and Lessara for your caring and concern.

I'm doing better as far as my attitude. Still working on the food, and what is going to work for me in the long term. Alto, I'm with you on that "coke/snickers" diet, only I'll just take a fruit juice/chocolate diet instead :D

Kezza,
So glad CALP is working for you! It's good that you're being so vigilant about paying attention to the balances. That's why I didn't do so well - didn't want to pay that close attention. :rolleyes:

Have a good weekend, all! My husband and I are leaving tonight after work to have a St. Louis weekend - hotel and then just twiddling around tomorrow - just to get away from here for a bit. I'm looking so forward to it!

Shalom,
Sh'ra

Lessara
Fri, Jan-11-02, 11:59
Just wanted to say hello and hope you all have a good weekend!! :)
Sh'ra, so are you feeling better? Hope you have a great trip!

Dizz
Fri, Jan-11-02, 15:46
Hi guys! :wave: I have discovered that a tsp of crunchy peanut butter is a wonderful thing. I have never liked peanut butter before but now I really like it and it makes me drink so much water. I take about 15 minutes to eat it haha but it is a satisfying late night snack.

Sh'ra and everyone have a wonderful weekend!

Sh'ra
Mon, Jan-14-02, 09:53
Hi, all! Hope you all had a great weekend, and are refreshed and ready to "do the food" :) I'm doing much better since we got our weekend away, though I must say I was not "good" as far as keeping under 20 g. carbs a day. I was careful, though. Ruby Tuesday's is a great place to be able to keep low carb, by the way - their steaks are delicious, their fish is REALLY good (the cajun grilled stuff - wonderful), and their hot wings are great also (no, I didn't eat all that Friday night :D; had the fish myself - but got a taste of hubby's steak).

Anyway, I'm ready to get back on track this week, and my attitude has been much adjusted.

Had just a protein shake for breakfast (nasty things they are - plugged my nose and drank it down) for the energy. Brought sardines in case I get hungry before lunch. Will try to get wings or some kind of chicken for lunch at the grocery store deli, since I have to go there anyway.

Have a blessed week, everyone!

Shalom,
Sh'ra

alto
Mon, Jan-14-02, 10:41
Dizz, a spoonful (usually 1 tablespoon) of natural peanut butter is one of my usual midafternoon snacks. It is good!

Sh'ra, good to hear you're back and blooming. I think your problems the last few weeks had as much to do with health as anything. I've been having stomach troubles for much of the past six weeks, and on the days when that's a factor, I don't do nearly as well and my attitude is in the tank :) But on the days when I feel okay, I have no problems with this WOE. I predict you'll have a good week :)

I'm down another pound and another half-inch off my waist, which makes two inches since I began. I'm back on Protein Power, the second book, Protein Power Lifetime Plan, which is what I started on. I switched when I stopped losing quickly -- which was probably not sensible. I also wasn't following the program well -- the letter but not the spirit, if you will. PPLP allows up to 40 grams of carb a day, after fiber is subtracted. BUT it also wants you to spread those carbs out throughout the day, and I didn't do that. So I'm being more careful this time.

Have a great week, everyone. How's everyone doing???

Victoria
Tue, Jan-15-02, 13:30
Hey folks!
Who'd ever thought you could lose weight eating peanut butter? I eat natural peanut butter tho, without the added sugar and hydrogenated fat. My kids like the Un-natural kind, but after everything I've read about hydrogenated fat--I'd rather be healthy.

Just wanted to stop by and say hi! Hope you all are doing great. :wave: Victoria

TeachinNV
Wed, Jan-16-02, 14:04
Hi all...

I'm sitting in my quiet classroom finishing my lunch, and I thought I would check out the message boards. I enjoy reading about everyone else's journeys because it helps me remember that I'm not the only one going through this.

My short-term goal is to hit 250. I've been bouncing between 257 and 264 for the past 10 days and am getting somewhat discouraged. I'm following the woe and drinking oceans of water, but can't seem to level out. I'm up one day and down the next, and then up again.

I haven't seen 250 in years, and would love to see it soon. I've learned not to set deadlines for myself where my weight is concerned. However, I would sure love to see 250 by the end of the month or so. :rolleyes:

Well, I have to go pick up my students from lunch.

So, TTFN!! :wave:

BTW: thanks for all of the inspiration and encouragement that you all offer. It is greatly appreciated!! {{{HUGS}}}

Dizz
Wed, Jan-16-02, 15:28
Hi TeachinNV.

Sounds like you may weigh too many times a day. I will vary in weight as much as 4-5 lbs (gained) in a day. Choose a convenient time to weigh and only weigh at that time each day or even better once a week. I choose to weigh at 8:00 each morning.

If you haven't already started a journal, let me encourage you to begin one. If you journal your menu and exercise daily, you give other folks an opportunity to see what you are eating and drinking and give you "tips" or support.

Also, you may wish to read the journals of others to see how they have conquerored the roller coaster or if it can be conquerored.

Happy reading! Liz

alto
Wed, Jan-16-02, 15:39
Hi, Lori -- I second everything that Dizz wrote :)

It is frustrating -- I've just been through a long spell with little loss -- but it's gotta come off sooner or later.

Glad you joined us, and good luck on your low carb journey!

TeachinNV
Wed, Jan-16-02, 16:59
Thanks Dizz and Alto!

I actually only weigh once a day, first thing in the a.m. I would probably go insane if I weighed more than that. I'm actually trying to break myself of weighing every day. I probably should only weigh once or twice a week, but I can't break myself of the habit.

I also do have a journal. I started it almost as soon as I found this site. It has been a valuable tool for me. I've also joined fitday.com, but haven't gotten in the habit of using it daily. Another goal to meet.

TTFN!! :wave:

Sh'ra
Thu, Jan-17-02, 16:32
Hi, all!
Just wanted to drop in, catch up on this thread, and drop back out again -time is short this week. Love and blessings to all, and welcome, TeachinNV!

Shalom,
Sh'ra

Sh'ra
Mon, Jan-21-02, 20:50
Hello, all my countdown friends! I hope your weekends were good! I had a house full of teenagers all weekend - felt like Grand Central station.

I've at least seemed to steady back out at 251 after spending two weeks adjusting my diet. I think I've found the right LC for me. Not so stringent I feel punished, more vegetables, some fruit, and cut out the "fake" stuff. For future reference, my LC friends, artificial sweeteners CAN cause serious stalls...take it from one who knows :D

Hope your evenings are blessed!
Shalom,
Sh'ra

alto
Mon, Jan-21-02, 20:56
Hi Sh'ra! I'm glad to hear you're stable -- and that sounds like a good plan. (Brilliant, 'cuz it's so close to mine :D )

Sh'ra
Tue, Jan-22-02, 09:47
Alto,
Well, then, of course it's definitely brilliant :D

I still have some "tweaking" to do, but am back up and running, and more sure of what I can and cannot eat.

Shalom,
Sh'ra

Lessara
Tue, Jan-22-02, 11:13
Sh'ra I definitely agree with you about the artificial sweetners! I stick to 1-2 pkts a day now for my total.

I've been upping my veggies too. Guess what I tried for the first time yesterday - a diakon Radish! I cooked it with onions and garlic, oh was it good!! I should thank Doreen for the ideas she gave me! :D

Victoria
Tue, Jan-22-02, 12:09
It's good to catch up with you all. I'm glad your pants are falling down Sh'ra. :D I enjoyed your story in the triple digit club. Really made me smile wide.

It's so good to see you folks, Alto and Sh'ra working out what LCing you can live with. Especially for those of us who have lots to lose, I think it's important to live this WOL in a way that you can continue for the long haul. I just started reading Protein Power, and am enjoying all the explanations about insulin and glucagon. Haven't gotten to their ideas about HOW to eat. But I need all the reassurance I can find, that I AM eating healthy. I never wanted to lose weight with drugs or a liquid diet. I'm so glad, that I finally heard of low carbing. It truly is turning my life around. :roll: Victoria

PS. I just gave my Dana Carpender book to the Schwann man. (He sells frozen foods door to door in my area) I've been sharing with him about what I've been doing, and he's been struggling with his weight and trying not to eat basically. I hope it helps him. He's such a nice man. (Now I'm an evangelizing LCer!)

Dizz
Thu, Jan-24-02, 18:54
Victoria, we kinda started from the same place and are about the same place now. Are you finding it more difficult to lose?

Victoria
Wed, Jan-30-02, 09:28
Dizz,
I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I've been zooming all over the journals and other places here at the forum, but must've missed this thread for a while.

My scale is not working right for me, so I'm waiting to see what the doctor's scales say. But I keep plugging away, day by day. Sometimes the days are great...most of the time. But it is hard to know if you're doing OK when your scale isn't cooperating. It bounces up 4 lbs. and then down 2 lbs. and then up and down, so I don't trust it. It was a whole 10 lb. different than the doctor's scale last time I checked. I can't imagine that I can gain 4 lb. in one day. :p So...to answer your question...I don't think it's harder now. I'm not near as impatient about it as I was when I started. Because now I know it works. But yes, I would like to see 250 tomorrow. I know it takes time, so I try not to get too hung up on whether I lost this week or not.

The question is, do you find it harder now? And have you done anything different, if the weight doesn't move? I know I tweek it here and there, depending on how successful I am. Like I've changed my eating 2 lc breads at breakfast to 1, mostly. ;) We'll see if that makes a difference. I know when I first started I used to eat fruit alot more, because it was summer. I still lost tho, and alot of folks of the forum never eat fruit. So I was looking back on my journal (my handwritten one, before joining the forum) from when I first started, just to see how I was doing. And realized I was alot less strict on myself back then and was losing quite a bit. So...maybe that was beginner's luck, or maybe it was just a far cry from what I normally ate, that it made a big difference in my insulin surges. I don't know.

Sorry for the ramblings. :rolleyes: I'm thinking while I'm writing and now you know how my mind works. :lol: Victoria

Dizz
Wed, Jan-30-02, 12:11
Given the amount of clothing worn or water taken in at any given time I can gain up to 6 lbs a day. I always start out the same 258 but ping pong all day long. Last week I went as high as 265 and back down.

I am losing inches. I have lost 4 inches everywhere I measure, except wrist and ankles and I have lost 2 in those.

I don't eat that much in food or in carbs and I have added exercise (water aerobics) which I work at very hard. :confused: Guess things are just "adjusting" elsewhere not on the scale where I want to see it happening!

Anyway, just looking for someone to say, "yeah, me too, you're normal." haha :D

kezza
Sat, Feb-02-02, 02:43
Hi everyone,
I thought I had better pop in and say "Hi".
Well done about the 4 inches Dizz!!
I've been so busy over the last fortnight that I just read my messages and wrote briefly in my journal. But I have been reading how you are all going.
I've decided I do like CALP, so I am going to stick with my experiment until to end of March (Easter Time). If I continue to lose weight I'll stay with it after that, with maybe the occaisional swap to another low-carb diet to kick start things if needed.
This is an up-dated summary of how I went on CALP;

Weight at beginning of CALP 26th Dec 2000 =264.96 pounds

Average Weight at end of Week 1 = 264.96 pounds

Average Weight at end of Week 2 = 263.65 pounds

Average Weight at end of Week 3= 263.34 pounds

Average Weight at end of Week 4 =264.6 pounds

Average Weight at end of Week 5= 262.7 pounds

Today'weight= 262.4 pounds

Overall, the weightloss is nothing THAT startling but I'm finding I can stick with the guidelines without feeling deprived. :thup: Now that I have one full week back at work, I'm eating a lot more simply so I think the weight will continue to move downwards a little easier. :)
A typical work-day menu would be;
Breakfast= eggs and cup of tea with milk, water
MT= water
Lunch= HUGE salad with protein and water
AT=water
CALP Reward DInner= salad, meat and veges or more salad,
dessert and softdrink.
Supper= decaf coffee and milk and more water

Keep up the good work everyone,

Dizz
Sat, Feb-02-02, 23:47
Kezza, do you think changing LC Diets helps in kick starting weight loss that has stalled? It's been forever since I lost any real weight, it feels like a pound a month and it's driving me crazy :daze:

kezza
Sun, Feb-03-02, 13:49
That is a REALLY tricky question Dizz. :(
But this is what I believe at the moment:

1. A stall could be caused by a plateau. If you stick with your diet eventually it will pass, possibly with a sudden dip in weight loss. I'm sure there is a story in Success stories about someone that had a 6 WEEK stall and then lost again.

2. Is the stall really a stall? Some self-examination is needed!
Have the carbs been creeping slowly back in so there is neither weight-loss or weight-gain? What about water? What about exercise? What about artificial sweeteners and other additives that may be sabortaging the dieter's efforts?

3. Maybe going back to the strictest version of the LC diet for a few weeks might help things along.

4. Has your body adapted???
I know that my body will adapt to anything if I have the same 'pattern' or menu everyday. So I can trick my metabolism into being less efficient (with the fat storage) by changing my menu and not eating the same thing at the same time everyday.
This can be done within an LC diet. Just mix things up abit.

5. Is it time for a change?
In my book of the Atkins Revolution, in one chapter he writes about stalls , fat-fasts and other diets. He writes that if you do go off Atkins go ONTO some other equally as strict diet for a while , which has the foods you have been craving in it (eg pasta) then go back on Atkins. I think he may say it could kick-start a sluggish metabolism (but don't quote me-check out the chapter).

6. Is it time for a fast?
Fasts can be excellent ways of kick starting things but I have NEVER been able to do one properly. Andy would be able to give ideas and guidelines on that!

So there you go, Dizz. No straight answer...just more questions for you!! :rolleyes:
Maybe one of the Moderators would have a wiser answer for you!!!
Hope it helps!
Love

Victoria
Mon, Feb-04-02, 09:41
Dizz,
I just had a "SCALE TRAUMA", myself. I went to the doctor and weighed on their scale. You know the one that had made me estatic three weeks ago, when it told me I was 268. Well, it must've lied then or now, because I did not gain 10 pounds in 3 weeks. I whined and moaned about this in my journal...so I will not do it here. I have lost 3 inches everywhere. I'm just as thin as I was the day before I weighed. So now I will just deal with my own scale and keep on going.

But you know the inches lost is the reality of your weight loss. You can not pretend to fit into a smaller size pair of pants or blouse. The scales will continue to go down....but sometimes they stay put, even when you are losing fat and gaining muscle. You said that you started exercising. That is going to show up as muscle gained....which weighs more than fat. So don't get discouraged. Check out all the suggestions Kezza listed. I do think that shaking it up a bit helps every so often.

Well, I've got to get my kid's off... :roll: Victoria

Dizz
Thu, Feb-07-02, 09:02
Victoria, I just had SCALE TRAUMA myself!! I lost 2 pounds overnight!! Gosh, I hope that means the dry spell is over. I really needed this.

kezza
Sat, Feb-09-02, 17:49
Hi guys,
Well done Dizz!! :thup: Isn't great to see the scales go down...especially after such a long time with no movement. Good for you for sticking with it and not giving up when the going got hard!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Here is the latest stats on my CALP experiment;

Weight at beginning of CALP 26th Dec 2001 =264.96 pounds

Average weight at end of week 6 =260.5 pounds

Weight on 8th & 9th Feb =258 pounds
weight 10th Feb= 255.8 pounds!!!!!
So the average weight for this week (I do that on Thursdays) will be looking really great!!!

I think going back to work for the last two weeks has really sped up the weight loss. Even though I was following the CALP guidelines all of Jan, being on holidays= more convenience food and more LC food.
Now I'm back at work my menu is much more simple and my job is quite physical (disabled kids)...so the weight is moving off faster!!
As you can see I'm sticking with my CALp experiment.
I'm definately staying on CALP until Easter. If it is still working for me then , it will probably be my preferred LC WOE.
hope everyone else is going well,
see ya

Dizz
Sat, Feb-09-02, 20:55
:D COOL!! Kezza! You're doing fantastic! Now that you have seen the scales moving along, you need to check the inches and really get a charge! :D

kezza
Thu, Mar-07-02, 06:07
Hey guys, how are you all! :q:
I'm sorry I haven't been writing. I've got a new job at school...Acting Deputy Principal! :)
Only a few weeks left of my contract to go and then it is back on class! But I've been too busy to write. It looks like everyone else is busy to.
I just had to drop by and say CALP is still working for me...SLOWLY... but it is working. If the weight keeps going down, I'll have to join the COUNTDOWN to 235 pounds in a month or so because I'm now....254.3 pounds!

Here are my stats just to bore everyone... :rolleyes:

Weight at beginning of CALP 26th Dec 2001 =264.96 pounds
Average weight at end of week 6 =260.5 pounds
Average Weight for end of week7 = 256.4 pounds
Average Weight for end of week 8= 256 pounds
Average Weight at end of Week 9= 254.3 pounds
Average weight at end of Week 10=254.3 pounds
So I'm happy. Obviously the loss is not fast but if it goes slowly maybe it will stay off! :rolleyes:

Lots of love to you all. I miss our chats. I'll be less busy soon I hope

Victoria
Tue, Mar-12-02, 13:00
Hello Kezza, Dizz, and all, :D
How are you all doing? It's so easy to be flitting here and there on the forum and miss a particular thread for a while. Good to see your steady progress Kezza. Good for you!!! I've been measuring myself and writing it down in my home journal so that I can believe in my progress. Sometimes that's what keeps me going. I know I am steadily shrinking. I'm slimming down especially around the middle. I can even see that. So I know this is working. The scales can be so deceptive and discouraging. But I still can't break myself of stepping on them every day. There is a new thread started by Natrushka that challenges folks to stay off the scale. Sounds like a clever idea...but I'm much too tied to mine right now. ;) Maybe after I hit 250. :rolleyes: I was hoping I'd hit 250 by the time my new grandbaby is born in April, but I think I'll be down to 260 by then. Slow and steady...it's fine with me as long as I continue to lose and feel great. I went for a walk with my 4 year old granddaughter yesterday in the warm, sunny (65 degree) afternoon. :D Of course, we couldn't power walk. But it felt good to get out and get some sun and exercise. She loved it too. When I was thinner, I used to walk everywhere with the kids. So maybe I'll start acting like I used to when I was thinner, and that'll help me get there. ;) Victoria

alto
Sat, Apr-06-02, 23:47
Hi! Is anyone still left? I'm sorry -- I haven't been around much lately. I've missed you all :)

I see Victoria is still here -- let's have a check in. I'm still counting down to 250 :( I was holding steady for several weeks, and I'm sure I'm up at least 4 pounds from my posted weight, but I'm not going to weigh for awhile.

How is everyone doing?

Dizz
Sat, Apr-06-02, 23:53
Victoria, I love what you said, "So maybe I'll start acting like I used to when I was thinner, and that'll help me get there." I really love that and I will begin today to do the same!!

I haven't been on in a while. Busy month at church and now it appears that my journal is gone. So guess I'll just jump around in the forums???? Hi, Alto glad to see you back too!

alto
Sat, Apr-06-02, 23:57
Hi, Dizz! Glad to see you :) I hope (knock wood) I'll be around regularly again now.

Dizz, I'm sure your Journal is still here. They move Journals to the Inactive Journals forum if the owner hasn't posted in it in 2 weeks -- there are so many journals now. If you want to get it active again, just email Wa'il and he'll wave his magic wand :)

Welcome back!!!

kodi10
Sun, Apr-14-02, 19:23
OK all, count me in your club.

I have a ways to go before I reach 250, but that would be a huge deal to me. Once I started really gaining this weight I passed 250 about 10 years ago and have never seen it again. I know to someone who weights 150 this must sound ridiculous, but that is what I like about this group. To you, you would understand.

I almost hit 300 -- highest weighin was 299 (then I didn't have the heart to do it again). Then I went on a low fat plan which seemed to work for a while, but what a drag. I am hoping that the LC does not leave me feeling like I am always missing something. I just gave up cigarettes two weeks ago, am tired of feeling deprived.

I have a great friend who turned me onto the idea of LC and she has lost pretty rapidly. We joke that we are going to write a book oneday entitled, "You know you're really fat when...." -- but we don't mean it as a joke...but something that goes through the mind of a fat person. These are the kind of things that make me realize or know that I am fat....these are the things I want to see go away.

You know you're really fat when...

Going out to lunch with friends or coworkers, you have to be the first in the restaurant so you can pick out the table and avoid that embarrasing booth.

You figure out a way to swipe a belt extender from the airline.

You lie about being claustrophobic so the airline agent will not seat you in the middle seat.

You are willing to wait four more hours to take the "next" flight where you don't have to sit in the middle seat. (Sorry guys, but I am in the travel industry).

Let's see, one more.....

You stand all night in effort to avoid sitting in that cheap plastic lawn chair your friend bought for fear that you will squash it!

starchile
Mon, Apr-29-02, 22:47
Hey everyone!!!

Hellloooo!!! This is a great group and I want to be a part of it but everyone bailed! :)

I'll just post anyway and see if I can lure anyone back in!

I'm looking forward to hitting 250. like alto said in the beginning of this thread, "I can't see 200 from here"! Boy! nothing truer! So, I'm watching out for 250. I can feel it creeping up on me but it sure is slow!

This is my second time around on Atkins. I had grown up to nearly 330 pounds!!! I'm 5'10 but boy! I look at pictures of myself back then and I didn't even KNOW that I was that big!! I feel embarrassed just thinking about it! anyway, I'm moving down now and feeling good!

I'm looking forward to being a part of this group!

COOMMEEE BBBAACCCCKKKK!!!!!

:roll: :spin:

T

kezza
Tue, Apr-30-02, 04:57
Hi guys,
I have not written for so long that it must have been before I got my temporary Acting Deputy Principal job.
Really enjoyed it. :thup:
So much so I'm going to pursue Admin as an a career. :exclm:
Anyway ..weight wise I got got to 251.7 pounds!!! :D
Doing CALP and working from 6:15 am to 6pm was great for me.
10 days holiday and a few weeks back in class I slowly crept up to 258 pounds. :( :rolleyes:
Well...I've put a halt to that .Back on track again and this morning I was 253.5 pounds.
I also know that I was not writing in my journal, not visiting the forum, not drinking enough water, not following my CALP guidelines....what can I expect!. :spin:
Welcome aboard Codi10 and Starchile.
I'm sure we can crank up this club again!!

Dizz my Journal is inactive too! We will have to find them again.
see ya

starchile
Tue, Apr-30-02, 09:13
Hi!

Thanks for the welcome!

Just wanted to say that if your journal has been archived just go to the "journal" icon at the bottom of any one of your posts and it will pull it up. All you need to make it active again is to add another entry into it, it will take a couple of days but they will reactivate it.

(been there done that! :p )

Peace,
Tesia

irisinnyc
Wed, May-01-02, 06:18
I'm in for 250 too... I saw u over on our 'tall girls' board also. This is my second time around, but really didnt stick to it for very long last time (last year) and gained back all plus...so considering this as my first REAL go at it... and my last one as well!!!!! This will work..it has too, I was up near 300 and I do not want to see that on the scale again..didnt like the way it felt. sooo.. 250 here we come, right?
IRIS

alto
Wed, May-01-02, 10:15
Hi, Dizz, Kezza, Kodi and Iris -- and thank you, Starchile, for restarting this! I'm glad to see it active again.

I haven't weighed for several weeks. I took a break in April because of work pressures -- not a binge break; I was still low carb conscious, but I wasn't religious. I'm going to weigh again tomorrow.

Glad to see more people focused on the goal :)

Victoria
Wed, May-01-02, 20:13
I forget to get over to the Countdown Club area...it was easier when it was still in the Triple Digits Club. Well, for me anyway. :rolleyes: I'm still working on my 260's, but what can I say. I'm still working toward the 250 goal. My grandchild is here and I'm still not at 250...but she doesn't really care how big I am. ;) And I am smaller than when the first one was born. So it's good to see the difference in photos.

Kezza, good to see you here again. Don't forget your water! I just read an article about how important it is to drink your water, especially when on a "high protein diet". I've been concentrating on my water intake today. It's so hard to get enough in when running around.

Starchile, again...what a beautiful picture! Good to see you here too.

Well, off we go to conquer our goal! Glad to see you revive this thread! :daze: Victoria

starchile
Thu, May-02-02, 10:43
I'm soooo glad you all are back! Again, thank you for all the welcomes and positive energy!

Victoria* - thank you so much for the compliment on my pic!

I think that this is such a good idea for a thread! For a lot of us, 250 is just the first stop in a long journey! And it seems like our destination is WWWAAAYYY far away!!! So, it's nice to have some company along the road! I know I need the support and would love to give some so LET'S DO THIS!!! =)

I asked this on another thread but I'll ask here as well...what are people doing for exercise??? I'm trying to include some fitness exercise b/c I've been reading about horrible excess skin from posters that have lost as much weight as we all are trying to lose. I'm DEATHLY afraid of this and would like to be toned.

Anybody out there with the same concern?

Peace,
Star

irisinnyc
Thu, May-02-02, 11:08
I just joined a gym that has a pool. I'm not the aeorbics or running type, but swimming I can handle. It's almost like not exercising. I was concerned about the skin thing also, but I have a friend that lost 100 on this WOE and said that if you're still quite young and use moisturizer every day things should be okay, plus I hear that exercising helps with that as well??? Anyone else hear those things????
I could use the support too... The first few weeks have been pretty easy but I know this is a long haul!
:roll:

irisinnyc
Thu, May-02-02, 11:09
I think you're picture is GREAT too!
Very beautiful!
:thup:

starchile
Thu, May-02-02, 11:29
I'm with you on that Iris!

When I was at my largest weight I could never even IMAGINE doing anything like aerobics and I've ALWAYS hated running/jogging. I have to say though b/c of the energy burst on this plan and some weight loss I eventually began to do aeroboxing (and have JUST NOW dabbled in jogging...still hatin' it! :p ). It was a good class, very similar to Tae Bo, and I loved it but I'm just getting kind of sick of it.

NOW I'm lookin at swimming laps or water aerobics. Do you FEEL like you are getting a good work out??? I've read that swimming works every muscle in your body. That is EXCELLENT! How long have you been doing it and how often?

I've also been thinking about buying some bellydancing tapes!!! I took a couple of classes but was too self conscious...better in the privacy my own home methinks!

BTW, thank you for your kind words Iris! ;)

Peace,
Star

Victoria
Thu, May-02-02, 12:22
I think if you lose gradually, you won't have as much trouble with loose skin. I think exercise helps. I bought an exercise tape, but found it too strenuous on my knees. I need to get one that's more "low impact". I do like the idea of exercising to a tape without other folks around. But I find walking enjoyable. I like getting out in the fresh air and sunlight and walk around the neighborhood. It helps my mood as well as my body. :cool: Also just being more active, gardening or getting out with my grandkids and going to the park. This is what I used to do with my kids when they were younger....but I got really lazy about taking them places when I got so BIG!

So anyway. Here's to getting there! :D Victoria

PenclPushr
Sat, May-04-02, 21:47
I figure that I will have the roll of skin at my tummy, right above my incision site. But, I will be so thrilled to have this weight off.

Dizz
Sun, May-05-02, 19:04
Hi The water aerobics is wonderful. I go twice a week for 1 1/2 hr. You get a very good cardio workout. The inches really begin to show especially if you are like me and didn't do much exercise to begin with. We have put in an above ground pool in our backyard. It is almost warm enough to stop going to the indoor pool. I am really ready for that because the indoor pool is across town--traffic yuck.

starchile
Mon, May-06-02, 10:02
Yeah, I've noticed that since I've started going to my aeroboxing regularly and walking that the inches have really come off and I'm losing more pounds regularly!!

So, I'm thinking about doing the water aerobics and now I've just seen this infomercial (I'm such a sucker!) for Walk Away the pounds...has anyone seen/tried this??? It looks GREAT!!! Especially good for Humboldt county where it rains most of the year!!! I can walk 3 or 4 miles INSIDE!

starchile
Mon, May-06-02, 10:04
I just hit my first set goal!!!!

I've lost FIFTY ONE pounds so far!!!!!

YYYYAAAHHHHOOOOOO!!!!

Peace,
Star

Dizz
Mon, May-06-02, 15:13
:cheer: :Party: Congratulations!!

irisinnyc
Tue, May-14-02, 06:41
Hey Star! That's awesome! I hope I can achieve that goal some day... I have seen that walking commercial. It looks like something I could do also... would love to know if you get it. my ny neighbors would probably die with me walking on top of them.. hahaha!

starchile
Tue, May-14-02, 14:14
Yeah, Iris, I went ahead and ordered the tapes. I'm sooooo excited. EVERY single review I've read or heard...on this site and others, people are RAVING about them!! People really seem to enjoy them and I've heard absolutely nothing negative. I ordered the ones that come with the resistence bands so that I can work on my flabby arms at the same time. I can't wait, I can't wait!

Isn't it sad that I get this excited over EXERCISE tapes! :p

Peace,
Star

kodi10
Thu, May-16-02, 21:20
I first wrote in this thread a week ago, but nothing positive was happening. After loosing one pound I felt ok, but four days later I had gained 3.5 pounds with carbs never over 30. I was soooooo depressed because I believe in this plan. But I felt it was letting me down.

Then someone reminded me about the water. The first day I drank about 95 oz's. I lost 3.5 pounds (mostly water of course) that night. Lost two pounds in two days since and I feel wonderful.

So I am back. Congratulations on your successes. Seems you guys are doing great. I hope to get under 280 by Monday. I really believe now it will happen. :thup:

starchile
Thu, May-16-02, 22:15
Welcome back!

Glad you stuck with it and didn't get so frustrated that you gave up!

Yeah, water weight can be tricky. Also remember to get enough healthy fats in your diet...not having enough can slow weight loss as well.

I look forward to chatting with you!

Peace,
Star

Victoria
Sat, May-18-02, 17:12
Alright Kodi!!!
Glad to see you figure out what the problem was, instead of giving up. I like your signature...Water is my friend. It's a good reminder to all of us. ;) This forum really helps. Everyone is so helpful and with such combined knowledge...we all get help from each other. Keep going. You are doing great!!! :thup: Victoria

kodi10
Sun, Jun-16-02, 14:36
Ok, so now at 270.5. I'm getting there. Now I have this "I Can" attitude. I not only think I can, I know I can.

Victoria
Mon, Jun-17-02, 08:03
Kodi,
I noticed the last time you posted here was just a month ago, and you mentioned being around 280, and now I see you're down 10. Good for you! Again, your post reminds me to drink my WATER. I just measured this morning and realized, even tho I've been sort of slow in the weight loss lately, I've lost another inch around my waist. Yeah! I knew I was looking smaller around the middle. ;) Victoria

irisinnyc
Mon, Jun-17-02, 08:09
WOW... you guys are doing so great. Hopefully I'm right behind you.... 250 here we come soon, right!!!!!!!!!!!!

kodi10
Mon, Jun-17-02, 20:26
I want to share what happened with my doctor the other day. I did the Atkins thing and had my blood work done. (I should find out about that tomorrow), but one thing that happened I did not expect was my bloodpressure going down. I have run over 130 on the top reading (systolic?) and 90 plus on the distolic (I could have these backwards. My BP was 122/72.

Anyway, he told me something interesting about the water. He explained that the water is important for a variety of reasons, but one reason is because it cools the body and the body always tries to maintain 98.6. Therefore, water causes an expenditure of energy and thus, calories. Better yet, drink ice cold water because all the more energy is expended.

I am so glad my doc is supportive of the LC diet.

Victoria
Mon, Jun-17-02, 21:54
Kodi,
Your blood pressure is great news! Doesn't that make you feel good? And I'm glad you have a supportive doctor. Good for you! I just got my blood work back and found out my cholesterol and all looks real good. I've read so much suggesting that low carb is good for blood pressure and cholesterol and such. But I had a bit of my mind worried because of all the eggs and cheese I've been eating. Before LC I wouldn't eat cheese hardly ever, and maybe just 2 eggs a week. Now I'm eating at least 10 eggs a week and an oz. of cheese a day. And my cholesterol looks real good. The only thing now, is I want to compare it to last years numbers and see if there's any difference. I've never had a cholesterol problem, but I've been indoctrinated by this low fat world to think all saturated fat is bad for you. It takes a while to really, really believe. And I've been doing this for almost a year. :D Victoria

mwallace29
Wed, Jul-17-02, 12:19
Hi Everyone!

Wow! Everyone is doing so great!!!! I am so excited to be here.

I am on my way to 250!!! I started low carbing on my own about a month or so ago at 286 ~ lost 13lbs. I started Atkins last Sunday at 273 and I am now at 267. My next goal is 250 ~ I am trying to think of something special I want to do for the 250 goal.....I will think of something.

Lets go for goal!

kodi10
Thu, Jul-18-02, 03:38
I am in a great mood. I've lost almost 3 pounds in 3 days. After a 10 day stall I am thrilled. I am down to 263.25 and couldn't be more pleased. Started taking chromium picolinate and don't know if that could effect my fat lose within days, but wow, whatever it is, I like it.

mwallace29, welcome. It looks like things are working well for you. This forum has been a god-send for me and I hope you find it an interesting, friendly place.

250 here we come!

mwallace29
Mon, Jul-22-02, 10:06
Congratulations everyone for doing so well!!!

Down another 2.5!!! I am so excited!

kodi10
Mon, Jul-22-02, 21:04
Looks like you and I are right together. Congratulations on the 2.5. Doing great!

irisinnyc
Tue, Jul-23-02, 05:45
Although I started a lot heavier....had been a stall for a while but things are moving again....yuck its hot in NYC today! Happy Tuesday to all!
IRIS

mwallace29
Tue, Jul-23-02, 07:27
Kodi ~ I was looking at the stats and there are a lot of us on this thread that are really close. That is cool.

I am so anxious to hit that 250 mark. For some reason, it just seems like a big milestone for me. (We'll see what I think when I get there :rolleyes: )

Everyone is doing great! Take care and have a great day!

kodi10
Tue, Jul-23-02, 19:11
You don't know why 250 is such a big hurdle? I do...it is because it will be the first time in over 10 years that I will be closer to 200 than 300. That is a big deal for me, for sure.

I just wish this scale would move more this week, other than up. I typically lose in this manner. Lose 1 pound, next day loose another (or part of one), next day another (or part of one). Then the very next day I put back on pound, then a second the next day. Usually after about 2 more days they come off and I end up losing a total of maybe one pound. This is so goofy, is anyone else experiencing this?

I know it is water, but it is so predicable. Two days ago I was 262.2. This morning 264. Tomorrow, probably down a pound. We will see.

mwallace29
Fri, Jul-26-02, 08:59
I understand what you mean about being closer to 200 than 300!

I was at 296 last year and lost 10lbs dieting and stayed at 286. That was the end ~ nothing more came off. :rolleyes: Started low carbing this year and got to 273, started Atkins and have been losing pretty good.

This week ~ I have been staying the same. Grrr....

I know everyone says to stay off the scale, but I weigh in every morning and enter it in my fitday account. I just make sure I do not get frustrated when it goes up one day and down the next. As long as it does continue to go down more than up! :D

Hope everyone is having a GREAT week!!!!

mwallace29
Fri, Aug-02-02, 08:45
How is everyone doing????

I am still staying the same! Grrrrrrrr.

I did start a journal today and will post all my menus etc.... I just can't figure out how to link it on the bottom of the screen? Can anyone tell me how to do that? I would also like to start a Gym Log and add that too.... I am such a dork! :D

kodi10
Sun, Aug-04-02, 20:00
I'm doing ok, but any hopes of even remotely rapid weight loss has about died out. (Please no lectures on the evil of fast weight loss). I just wanted to loose 3 lbs per week, but I will settle for 2. However, in the last two week, nada! This is too frustruating, but I keep going.

Even tried a carb binge one day to see if that would help, nope! Even tried cutting all whipped topping, still nill. I do aerobics at least 6 plus times a week (.5 to 1 hr each). I do light weightlifting and stick to my diet religiously. I know it will come off, but CAN'T IT MOVE A LITTLE FASTER!

Other than that, I am great.

VictoriaT
Tue, Aug-06-02, 12:53
Hi everyone!
I would like to join this thread. I am not weighing myself except for the 13th of every month but I am doing really well with Atkins so far! :) Its been a nice lifestyle change.

Kodi-without the risk of a lecture, if you read through NATs journal you will see that when she stopped aerobic exercise so much, she lost weight. Try taking a few days off and then see how it goes. You may be retaining the water-or you may be building muscle. I found the same thing. When I take off 2 days, my clothes suddenly become very big.

Anyway-hello all! :)

Vicki :wave:

mwallace29
Tue, Aug-06-02, 15:13
Welcome Victoria ~ sounds like you are doing great!

I think I am going to quit the weighing thing ~ it is driving me nuts!!! :rolleyes:

I currently weigh every morning and enter my weight into my fitday account ~ it is kinda frustrating to see the flucuation.

VictoriaT
Tue, Aug-06-02, 15:16
Hi MJ
I joke about it now---when I first started LCing I used to weigh myself everytime I went to the bathroom :lol: Doesnt sound too bad except that since I drink 150 oz of water a day I frequent the bathroom as my favorite hang out place :lol:

Thanks for the welcome! Im really looking forward to getting to know the people who I dont already know :thup:

Have a great night!

kodi10
Tue, Aug-06-02, 21:49
Victoria, welcome. Your advise is well recieved. Thanks. I am on a 2 plus week stall. Actually, my weight has been hover from 261 to 264. Read someones thread and it helped. He explained how the fat cells will retain water to try to hold onto their original dimension (or something like that). I don't understand the science, but it made me feel better.

I, too, weight myself every day. I don't really think it is a good idea, but I am a bit obsessive about it. It is hard enough to get up in the morning, go upstairs and find I gain a pound. Then I force myself into doing the aerobics with tears dribbling down my cheeks. There has gotta be a change for the better soon. I believe it will happen....I believe!

-Dyna

mwallace29
Tue, Aug-06-02, 22:02
Hi Kodi ~ I am having the same problem. No loss! :mad: I started July 7th and I only lost the first 2 weeks.

I am a bit frustrated, but I just keep telling myself it will come off.

Someone told me to up my calories ~ but 10-12x my weight is an aweful lot of calories! :D

If we all hang in there ~ the 250 mark will come!!!!

Take care and keep believing!

Kristala
Wed, Aug-07-02, 08:41
I would like to join your thread! You guys are all having the same problems I am with stalls and these last pounds to hit 250. I have been on Atkins since March (on and off). I would get really frustrated during stalls and go back to my normal way of eating, but as of July I have been trying to stick to it (except for one Sunday I ate fried chicken). I need to make myself go back to the gym, I think that would help.

I also walk 3 miles about 3 times a week and I just bought the walk away the pounds video by Leslie Sansone (You would think since I already walk it would be easy, but its not).

Well hope to get to know some of you better. I am going to try and catch up on the journals.

Cya

VictoriaT
Wed, Aug-07-02, 09:17
Hi Dyna
Let me ask you-have you had body fat done? I know (and so do you :) ) that muscle weighs more than fat. Maybe you are really shifting your dimensions---they can do a body fat test at the gym for like $9 or so. also-what about your measurements? ARe you going down? KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! It will pay off--you know this! Aerobics is very healthy for you and your heart :thup: Ill be cheering for you when I hear about your woosh.

How is everyone doing today??

Welcome Kristala!

mwallace29
Thu, Aug-08-02, 12:03
How is everyone doing!

Scale is not moving for me ~ AT ALL! :D

That's ok ~ I know it will some day.

I was getting very frustrated, but I accidently pulled the wrong pants from the closet the other morning (which I could not begin to get them pulled up before). I thought, I am going to try them on and use them for a goal ~ I thought I would try them on every week until they fit. I could not believe it ~ I could actually pull them up and zip them (too tight to wear yet ~ but hey! they actually went on!). I know they will fit comfortably soon!

I think it will be a long haul to 250 ~ but I am here for the ride! :cool:

I hope everything is going good for you all! Take Care!

kodi10
Thu, Aug-08-02, 18:00
Glory Be! I had a whoosh. And I hope it is not over yet. Lost 3.0 lbs in 3 days. Down to a new low. Now if I look back, it means I have lost 1 lb in 2 weeks, but that's a heck of a lot better than it has been.

Victoria, I have been loosing inches. Just the other day I noticed that although the scales have not been moving, the measurements have improved. Took me by surprise. There is a wonder explaination under the newbies area about this.

Hope the whoosh fairy visits you soon, but right now I have her hog-tied.

-Dyna

VictoriaT
Fri, Aug-09-02, 08:07
Hi Dyna

:cheer: :hyper: Party: :cheer: :cheer: :Party: :cheer: :hyper: Party: :cheer: :cheer: :Party: :cheer: :hyper: Party: :cheer: :cheer: :Party: :cheer: :hyper: Party: :cheer: :cheer: :Party: :cheer: :hyper: Party: :cheer: :cheer: :Party: :cheer: :hyper: Party: :cheer: :cheer: :Party:

CONGRATS ON THE WOOSH!!!
Keep up the good work.
Im not checking my scale until the 13th so you can keep that woosh fairy until then ok? :lol:

Vicki

Victoria
Fri, Aug-09-02, 09:00
Congrats Dyna! I love to see your progress. Although I don't think it's fair to keep that whoosh fairy all to yourself. I think you need to share a bit! ;) I think Vicki has a point about measuring. Even when the scale bounces up and down...when you measure and realize there's been a big change, it's exciting. Sometimes I look at myself and I don't recognize my skinny shoulders and face. I've finally gotten to a point where I eat this way, regardless of whether I see a scale change or not. Not that I don't overdo it at times. I can overeat legal LC things, just as much as I did when I was eating sugar. But since LC fills you up quicker, there's still an improvement. To really be able to eat what your body needs, when it needs it, and not eat emotionally, or just out of boredom...or for whatever reason, that's my life goal. I am changing and improving...most of the time I'm eating the way I should. But there are moments when I realize...compulsive eating doesn't go away because of LCing. It's just controlled better. And the more success behind me, the more incentive I have to stick to eating correctly.

Well down we go!!! :D Victoria

kodi10
Fri, Aug-09-02, 11:12
I agree 100% with you Victoria in regards to compulsions. That is one thing I am finding out. When I first started this diet, I could eat 10 chicken wings at one sitting. The last time I had the chance I ate 22! It felt more like a complusion than hunger (although they did taste good). Now this is not full wings (each real wing is made of two (drum and flat). But that is still 11 full wings.

Ok, so I am compulsive. I know this, this, this, this...err ahh, see what I mean. I have to keep it in check even with this diet, but at least with LCing if I get out of control, I do it "controled" That is, it is a LOT better to eat 22 chicken wings than 5 pieces of cake or 6 brownies or 1/5 gallon of icecream.

Oh, I put back another pound, so typical for me. Down a little, up a little. It's a roller coaster ride......wheeeeeeeeeeeeee

Have I convinced anyone that it is fun?

-Dyna

kodi10
Fri, Aug-09-02, 11:15
I agree 100% with you Victoria in regards to compulsions. That is one thing I am finding out. When I first started this diet, I could eat 10 chicken wings at one sitting. The last time I had the chance I ate 22! It felt more like a complusion than hunger (although they did taste good). Now this is not full wings (each real wing is made of two (drum and flat). But that is still 11 full wings.

Ok, so I am compulsive. I know this, this, this, this...err ahh, see what I mean. I have to keep it in check even with this diet, but at least with LCing if I get out of control, I do it "controled" That is, it is a LOT better to eat 22 chicken wings than 5 pieces of cake or 6 brownies or 1/5 gallon of icecream.

Oh, I put back another pound, so typical for me. Down a little, up a little. It's a roller coaster ride......wheeeeeeeeeeeeee

Have I convinced anyone that it is fun?

-Dyna

starchile
Mon, Aug-12-02, 22:08
Hey Gang!

I haven't been around here in a while but now I'm back big time!!!

I have only lost 5 pounds since my last post here (which was in May) but I have lost about 2 inches all over my body so that's good. But I do have to admit that I have been kind of off track.

Well, I'm back on the wagon now and feeling stronger than ever.

TWO FIFTY WATCH OUT!!!! HERE I COME!!!!

We can do this gang!!!!!

GO TEAM CHEERIO!!!! :cheer:

Peace,
Star

VictoriaT
Tue, Aug-13-02, 13:25
'Hi Star
Welcome back!
that isnt bad-5 lbs and some inches and you werent even trying !HEY HEY!!! :lol:

Have a great day~!
vicki

mwallace29
Tue, Aug-13-02, 14:18
Wow! 5 w/o trying! I can't get 5 with trying! :D :D

starchile
Tue, Aug-13-02, 17:03
You know what??? Thanks Victoria and Mwallace!!!! That is a wonderfully positive perspective and I needed that!

This place is soooo cool!!!

Peace,
Star

Lessara
Wed, Aug-14-02, 11:32
Well guess what.. 250 is my next goal!!
I too, Starchile, have restarted (as of July 1st) I am finally below 300 again. I was so depressed before and gaining 25lbs in 6 months didn't help. But I'm low carbing strong.
I'll hang out with you. :D

Ps. I've got a question, does anyone know where all these fairys with people's names on them come from.. they are soooo cool!

VictoriaT
Wed, Aug-14-02, 12:14
HI Lessara
Welcome! You are doing really well.
The fairies were made by RAWSIENNA --they are woosh fairies for all the wooshes that we are trying to get :)

Ask her to make you one-Im sure she will-she is cool like that.

Vicki

mwallace29
Wed, Aug-14-02, 13:05
Just wanted to check in to see how everyone is doing? Hope you are having a great week!!!!

VictoriaT
Thu, Aug-15-02, 14:35
Hi!
Im impatient, but doing good. I wish I could lose 50lbs in one week :lol: Its that TOM and I am holding water-my engagement ring feels so small. Last night my fiance gave me a diamond to put with my engagement ring for our anniversary! I could barely fit it on my hand! ARGH!

I havent cheated in 2 months, exercise regularly and dont weigh every second or obsess over the numbers, but today when I got up I was likee BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I have to continue to Thank God for blessing me with health and all the wonderful things in my life before I start heading down the poor me Im fat road :)

Have a great weekend
VIcki

mwallace29
Fri, Aug-16-02, 09:56
I have been dealing with the TOM issue this week too ~ YUCK!

Tuesday I weighed 7lbs more than Monday! Wednesday the 7lbs was gone ~ go figure! :rolleyes:

Geez ~ if that is not enough to sabatoge your diet.

I am still staying the same ~ but I must confess ~ I drank a few Miller Lites and I am sure that is why the scale will not go down.

I will have to give that up totally.

Have a great weekend!

VictoriaT
Fri, Aug-16-02, 10:01
Hello
Im not sure but beer isnt that bad is it? Especially light?
You gained and lost 7 lbs in one day :lol:
Natrushka used to tell me (and its so true) that it takes 3500 extra calories to gain a pound, so unless you ate about 21,000 extra calories, that would be water weight :lol:

Keep up the good wokr and have a great weekend!
VIcki

starchile
Fri, Aug-16-02, 11:00
Lessara! Good to hear from you Twin! It's great that you are back on track again!

As for me...I am on the no cheat band wagon and have been doing very well with it--no slips in 12days. I am very frustrated thought b/c I have not dropped anything. I've been at near induction level all this time and NOTHING! :confused:

Talk about "enough to sabotage your diet"!!!!

I want 250 SOOOOOOOOOOO bad!!! I'll keep trying but it is VERY FRUSTRATING!!! I've even started my excercise again. Also, I've been very tired lately. I'm not sure what's going on.

Bleeeeeccchhhhhhh!!!!

Peace,
Star

kodi10
Sat, Aug-17-02, 02:15
I am down again and by George I can see 250 off in the distance. Finally over my stall which held me at 260 for two weeks. The difference, additional exercise. Here is what changed.

Before: 30 min "Sweatin' to the Oldies" and 10 min weights.

Now: 45-60 min "Sweatin' to the Oldies and 30 min weights.

I have been doing this every day. I am not a religious person but thought I would share this. In the depth of my frustration, I asked for a sign. I wanted to know that I was on the right track and needed His guidance on what more I can do. Then I put it out of my mind.

A few days went by and then I started noticing that I kept hearing a song over and over again off the "Sweatin to the Oldies tape. The song was the last song on the tape. I heard this song at least 12 times in one week and that was really weird. The next time I did the full tape it hit me. Was I being told to increase my aerobics through the entire tape? (I had been stopping halfway through. Every since then I do the full tapem and everysince then I have been loosing.

I started taking Xenadrine (w/o ephedrine) too, but that just started. Anyone here anything about this product?

-Dyna

mwallace29
Sat, Aug-17-02, 06:15
Hi Star ~ hang in there!!! It will go down!

Kodi ~ you are doing great! Hmmm ~ the same song 12 times.....next thing you know you will be running around humming it all the time! :D

Keep up the great work everyone!!!

kodi10
Sun, Aug-18-02, 13:54
256. Oh My GOSH! Down 1.5 pounds since yesterday. This is sooooo exciting.

starchile
Sun, Aug-18-02, 14:16
WOOO HOOOO!!!!! You are AWESOME!!!!

Go KOdi! Go Kodi!!!!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Peace,
Star

mwallace29
Mon, Aug-19-02, 07:19
First of all ~ CONGRATULATIONS KODI!!!! :yay:

Second ~ I have finally went down 1 lb!!!
I was so excited this morning!

Hopefully it will keep going down!

OMG ~ I have to go and change my stats! :D

VictoriaT
Mon, Aug-19-02, 07:24
Kodi and MWallace
Congratulations! That is really wondeful!
Im not sure about my weight because Im only weighing once a month, but I am DEFINITELY losing inches. I tried on a shirt this morning for work that I used to have to keep pinned in the front. TOday, its loose! That was a nice feeling.

Anyway girls...:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vicki

mwallace29
Mon, Aug-19-02, 09:08
Congrats! You have a lot of will power to only weigh once a month!

VictoriaT
Mon, Aug-19-02, 09:11
Actually....

I was using those ketosticks twice a day and weighing myself EVERY day. Then Natrushka said something that makes sense to me....

To gain a pound you have to eat 3500 extra calories. That doesnt happen in one night. It is false. I was driving myself nutso and also it is very demotivating to NOT CHEAT (As I havent in 2 months) and still not see the scale move. So...I know Im doing well due to my clothes-I threw out my ketosticks and now I weigh once a month for my LC anniversary. ITs tough--but it helps me keep my sanity :lol:

If you look around the journals, so many people fall off the LC way of life because they dont see numbers moving on a scale. It could be an increase in muscle, the TOM, water retenttion from this heat etc. SO...I dont stress myself anymore and believe me IT was hard at first but now its great!!!

Congrats on your woosh-Im really glad for you!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

mwallace29
Mon, Aug-19-02, 20:06
Do you keep a journal? I have been using fitday ~ I started a journal here but it was like having to keep all that info in two places. I quit here and am just keeping my fitday info.

Do you keep one and do you think it is worth it?

That was one thing I hated about weight watchers ~ you had to write everything down. I want to get to a point in my life where I can just eat and not write it down or enter it into the computer.

Any thoughts?

kodi10
Tue, Aug-20-02, 00:31
Well, as they say, all good things must come to an end. As did my whoosh. Alas, fair whoosh, you did me well (but you can come back and visit again anytime and party) :Party:

I can break myself from weighing daily. I have been monitoring for three months now on a daily basis and don't know what to do with my charts if I change to weekly, but I have considered it.

As long as I am diligent on weighing daily, I think I will keep posting my food daily and exerciseing daily and weights daily. If I quit one, I am afraid I will quit another.

So for the time being, it is daily, but in the future I may go to weekly. But this week I was so fortunate to experience a high everyday from stepping on the scale. It doesn't usually happen that way so it was a relief.

I know you were not asking me, but I thought I would add that I use DietPower instead of fitday, but would be using fitday if I had found it first. Does almost everything Diet Power does and is free.

-Dyna

mwallace29
Tue, Aug-20-02, 05:58
I was asking everyone really ~ just to see what everyone is doing and how it helps them.

The fairy visited me again this morning! I know it will come to and end ~ but I will take anything I can get! :D :D

Have a great day!

VictoriaT
Tue, Aug-20-02, 06:53
Both of you-congrats on the woosh :cheer: :clap:

MJ-I just started looking at fitday.com. It was a real eye opener. I havent cheated since I started LC 2 months ago and I have lost 30 lbs and a lot of inches. BUT...I still felt like at my weight I should be losing a bit more inches or something. So...I checked fitday and I was only eating about 1600 calories on average instead of 2800!!! I am trying now to get my calories up to that range as well as eat 6 meals a day. Im trying to incorporate some fruit into my meals too--I try and stay away from all the mock LC stuff because I think that triggers my sweet tooth. Who knows. Im still experimenting. I noticed the past few days that my clothes are getting much looser. Its hard to realzie that you have to EAT MORE to LOSE! Not what we were taught for some amount of years! :lol: My carbs were fine, but those calories were making my body think it was starving which was probably holding onto some fat...argh.

CONGRATS ON YOUR WOOSHIES LADIES!!! :hyper:

Vicki