PDA

View Full Version : 190's Club

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : [1] 2

Shirlfe
Sat, Dec-01-01, 15:37
Hi, I would like to start a club for people in the 190 range. I weigh as of now 193. We could give each other support.
I weighed 150 about 7 year's ago. We moved to a new state, Texas, was lonely, and I quit smoking, and I gained all my weight back. I can still remember tho how it felt to be 150. I am big boned, so I was slim at 150. I lost to 150 on a low fat diet and almost lost all my hair. It is not healthy. I am committed now to get this weight off and feel good once again. Please join and let me know your feelings. Hug's, Shirl :wave:

tamarian
Sat, Dec-01-01, 18:25
Hi Shirl ,

But we do have one :) This is the purpose of the triple digits club, support of those with 100+ lbs to lsoe, and encouragement for those of us who have a lot to lose.

Unless I misunderstood what you meant by 190's club? Otherwise, we'd have too many clubs (180's, 170's, 250's, 230's etc.) with just a few participants.

If I missed the point, please let me know. We're always ready to open separate forums for support when there's an obvious need for one. :)

Wa'il

alto
Sat, Dec-01-01, 18:40
Wa'il, what about having a 190s thread? (Not that I'm anywhere near 190!) I can relate to wanting to have a place to "chat" with people near one's own weight. I've seen boards with Countdown Clubs -- Countdown to 275, Countdown to 250, Countdown to 225, etc. Each is a thread. It's kinda fun to "graduate" from one countdown club to another. As the forum grows, there may be age-related threads, too.

I know having a lot of forums drives some people crazy -- it's hard to remember where to go, or what was where. But others may like a small room with others in similar circumstances.

Just a suggestion :) I'm still finding all the wonderful little "nooks and crannies" of this forum.

tamarian
Sat, Dec-01-01, 19:38
First, I mistunderstood 190's club to be for those who need to lose 190 lbs! :)

As for creating specific countdown threads, that s sounds intersting. :thup:

Wa'il

alto
Sat, Dec-01-01, 22:42
With apologies to Shirlfe, who wanted to start a club not a conversation, I'm sure, I had another idea for this. I think Shirlfe has hit on a real need -- there are lots of people here with 40, 50, 60 pounds to lose and they're a bit left out between the Turtles and the Triple Digits.

So perhaps there is need for a forum, or a few threads, aimed at those with 50 pounds to lose, 25 pounds to lose, etc.?

Shirlfe, there are a lot of people on the board in the 190 range, so I hope some will find this thread and join you :)

Shirlfe
Sun, Dec-02-01, 09:17
I have about 55 pounds to loose and need the support doing this.
I thought it would help if we could get together to get the job done.
Thanks Alto, for letting people know there is a need for people with 40 or 50 or 60 pounds to loose.
And thanks tamarian for listening to me.
Sure glad I only have 55 pounds to looose and not 190, but I feel for anyone, no matter what they have to loose, we need the support.
Hug's Shirl

tamarian
Sun, Dec-02-01, 10:52
Originally posted by Shirlfe
but I feel for anyone, no matter what they have to loose, we need the support.

Hmmm, believe it or not, this entire web site is dedicated to the support of anyone on low-carb, and has been doing it successfully for over a year. :)

Wa'il

Shirlfe
Sun, Dec-02-01, 12:32
I was Just thinking more personal Hug's Shirl

kyfaithly
Sun, Dec-02-01, 16:38
(((((Shirlfe)))))

I too, as a newbie, felt like I wasn't sure where to fit in because of the titled Triple Digits, Turtle, etc. But I will say that everyone has responded to me on all questions and just to encourage, so I think we will find the support no matter which thread we look at.

I am at 183 from 190 in just 6 days, but I notice the scale is fluctuating a pound or two up and down. But that's okay, I will not judge until the 14th day.

Today's menu:

4 pieces of bacon (not hungry enough to include eggs)
16 ozs water

Salad of Spring Mix (arugula, radiccho, baby lettuce leaves, baby red chard), shredded cheddar cheese, grilled chicken and crumbled bacon with ranch dressing
16 ozs water

8 ozs Crystal Light lemonade

Turkey burger
steamed cauliflower
16 ozs water

Will drink 2 more 16 ozs waters or lemonade or maybe a diet coke

Please include your menus for encouragement, ideas and general guidance.:yum:

Thanks and good luck on your journey

Shirlfe
Sun, Dec-02-01, 17:04
Yes there is great support here on all the forum's.
I guess I was Just looking for some one near my weight to count down the pound's to.
Look's like you are doing good.
Here's what I had: Some chicken wings, sugar free Jello with cream. 2 tablespoon's peanut butter. And I am going to have a big salad for supper.
I am down from 195 to 190, Hope I lose to 180 or below by Christmas. I gained some back, but I am on a roll now, a pound a day. Have a great evening. Hug's' Shirl

kyfaithly
Sun, Dec-02-01, 18:37
That sounds like an attainable goal. I guess you and I are the two charter members of this club, lol, so encourage each other we shall. I too would like to be about 15 pounds lighter by Christmas, or even less. Are you on induction or already past that, or are you doing another plan altogether?

I posted my dinnner as a turkey burger and steamed cauliflower, I am not hungry and it's already 7:30 here, may just do the steamed cauliflower. :D

Btw, I am 52, married, one son (28) and one grandson (8). We all live together since son's divorce 6 years ago. How about you?

Shirlfe
Sun, Dec-02-01, 23:37
Hi, Yes so far we are the only ones here.
I am not on induction, but trying to follow Atkins.
I am 61, married 44 year's and a mother of three 43, 37 and 39. Grandmother of 4, (10, 8, 6, and 5) 3 boy's and a girl.
I have gained quite a bit of weight after quiting smoking 6 year's ago. I was a a decent size then. I weighed 150 lb's. Hoping to get back at that weight, or 135. Rather be 135.
I am really tired being this weight, and I think I am now to a point, I am ready to shed it.
Welcome to the club and I know we can be a support to each other. Hug's, Shirl

wawtigress
Sat, Dec-08-01, 06:48
:D yea , i have just finished induction and am on day 19 of diet , ihave been trying to find a place to fit for my weight range. i started at 200 lbs. and lost 10 lbs by day 12 on inducton. then gained a lb back for 9 lb loss and nothing since then, i want to talk to other people aboout this phase , i 'm ready to start over on the induction again to see if i had sugar by mistake . i'm not looking for a big drop at one time but i thought that i would lose the lb. back. i have at least 50 to go . i started on introductions but found out that it should be only for intros. even tho' i read and reply to some. when i went looking , i found i didn't fit into triple digits or turtles so i went to daily low carbs but found that wasn't my spot excet to share info. so thanks for this forum.i'm with you. if it doesn't fit you , it won't help. wawtigress

Karen
Sat, Dec-08-01, 14:13
Hello waw,

Here are some general hints on how to use the forum...

The Daily Low Carber is for general discussions about low-carbing.

For personal advice on how you're doing, the best best thing is to start a Journal in the Journal forum. If you look at other peoples journals, you will notice that they record what they ate for the day, and some will record activities. A journal keeps all your information in the same place so you can refer to it easily.

Everyone eats differently, so it's hard to give suggestions unless we know what you're eating.

Some other great features of this board are in the orange bar at the top of the page, especially in the Low-Carb Tips and Low Carb Tools. There is also the Search feature at the top right of the page where you can search for topics that have come up before.

It takes a while because there is so much info here, but you'll soon be clicking through like a pro!

Karen

kyfaithly
Sun, Dec-09-01, 05:24
Hey Shirlfe--

I have been caught in :"Tis the Season" activities since the 3rd (working the Secret Santa Shop at my grandson's elementary school everyday last week) and literally stuck in the Christmas traffic for three days :daze: !! But you would be proud of me, I made sure I ate my induction meals before I went, or I would stop at Arby's and get a Big Montana, throw away the bun and eat the roast beef. I also ate at Sonic (a drive in restaurant here) and would order bacon cheeseburgers and they were yummy!!

Whooo Hoooo I just got on the scale and I am down to 179.8 this a.m. That's close to 10 pounds in 14 days. Today is big decision day , last day of induction, where do I go from here??? I am reading Protien Power and Carbohydrate Addict's to try to decide.

I am 52, married to my high school sweetheart for 34 years, mother of a 28-year old, grandmother of an 8-year old. They live with us (have for 7 years).

I too have gained weight steadily at a rate of 10 pounds per year, my goal around 140 or maybe 130, depends on how I look and feel. 130 was my optimum weight for years, but I was also in my 20's then. My reason for wanting to lose is because I am tired of feeling "old" and my feet and knees are tired of carrying around all that extra weight. I feel if I am winded, tired, and in pain from this weight now, I will be a mess in 10 years!

How are you doing, still losing??

And are you ready for Christmas (assuming you celebrate)?

wawtigress
Sun, Dec-09-01, 07:47
hi, i put in a new thread under 190 yes , i am interested in this group, it fits my needs more. if i ever learn all the in and out of this computer. i tried to put in my journal yesterday and ended up on someone else page, the instructions aren't clear to me . so i deleted and tried again but it didn't take so my husband is going to see if he can figure out what i'm doing wrong, i started out on induction at 200 lbs and lost 9lbs. then nothing until today my 20th day and i lost 1 1/2 lbs. for a total of 10 1/2 lbs. now on to the owl. and add more carbs. so i'm very interested in your group since i fit in this category.got to go for my walk.wawtigress

grrlpwer
Sun, Dec-09-01, 08:08
hi Shirley...what part of Texas you live in? I live near San Antonio :D

wawtigress
Sun, Dec-09-01, 12:53
shirlfe, when i wante to join your group in the 190 club , i was new and thougt i had to put in a new thread but found out later that i just need to post reply to your thread. i have tried every way to delete my thread but can't get it deleted. any suggestions on how.wawtigress

doreen T
Sun, Dec-09-01, 13:03
Members cannot delete posts, but if you'd ever like to change your own message .. to correct a typo, or add or remove something ... just use the edit button in the right lower corner of all your posts. You can make changes for up to 48hrs from the original time of posting.

I think your other "190" post is lovely .. some other reader may find the words encouraging and inspiring. 10½ lbs is great success! I recommend for it to stay put ... but if you prefer, we can remove it for you.

Doreen

agonycat
Mon, Dec-10-01, 20:20
Hey Shirlfe,

I started back in April of this year at 192 and down to 152. I also live in Texas. (Dallas/FTW area)

Just wanted to say hi and good luck!

Shirlfe
Mon, Dec-10-01, 21:15
I have been off for a while, have had a sinus infection. Welcome. And to the Texan's. I am near Austin.
I am doing a lot better, staying on track with Atkins, hoping to lose 10 pounds by Christmas, but will be more like 7. I will take all I can get.
I had a good day today. Had pork chops salad and green beans for supper. Pork chop for lunch. Guess I like pork chops. ha. Had a bite of cream cheese with pumkin mixed in it, with splenda. See y'all tomorrow. Welcome everybody! Hug's Shirl

kyfaithly
Mon, Dec-10-01, 21:33
Well, it looks like our group is growing. Good to have another on board. I progressed to the OWL today, I am a bit intimidated by the extra carbs, but life must go on and I must be able to add more food for this to truly be a WOL instead of an induction phase.

I'm looking at the Protein Power way of thinking, personally I think it offers more variety and more balance, but it also requires more thought for sure. On that plan, not only do you keep your carbs low, you are required a certain amount of protein per day by calculating your body fat and lean muscle mass (which I unfortunately have very little of :rolleyes:.) Anyway, I'm lucky to be able to count the 20 to 30 grams of carbs per day, much less keeping up with 50 to 60 grams of protein. I will keep reading until I really get a grasp of it, but in the meantime, it's Atkins OWL.

Look forward to reading more from you, just remember, water till ya slosh!!

Good luck and happy low carbing!

:p

Leebugboo
Wed, Dec-12-01, 11:54
Hiya! I am right there with ya Shirl. I started at 202 and am down to 193. By the way, Kyfaithly is my aunt. Small world isn't it. I am doing okay and getting results on Atkins. I would (like everyone else.....like to get faster results) but I am hanging in there. I like the support everyone gives here, and I like your idea of the 190"s. I wish you the best of luck and hope to chat soon. Take care!

Shirlfe
Wed, Dec-12-01, 14:06
Good for you Lee! I know we can count down the pounds every week. I have someone now the very same weight, as me. We can do this together. Hug's, :wave: Shirl :wave:

Tikerberi
Wed, Dec-12-01, 14:08
I reached 198 last week, and am desperate to get it down. I have fluctuated and am at 195.5 today. I only started inducation again in earnest Yesterday, including exercise.

I'm 51, divorced, two grown daughters, I live with my two cats. I also started treadmill workouts after a long time with a broken foot. I'm perimenopausal with night sweats, insomnia, etc.

I've already posted to the exercise forum, daily forum, journal forum, and fitday. I don't know if much of it will be repeating myself. Maybe I'll just kinda post summaries here, and in detail on the others...depends on how much time I have since I do most of my writing from work (I work on computer with numbers, so occasional non work related emails are a relief.)

Are you guys posting to the other forums as well?

E&J
Thu, Dec-13-01, 16:13
Hello folks,

I am actually 197, and just started my Induction today. As I struggle through these great forums, I am pleased to have stumbled on this one. I too would like to get down to 150, and hope to at least get down to 185 by X-mas.
So far I am doing better, after breakfast-3 eggs scrambled w/ seasoning and onion, I was stumbling upon a headache. AFter lunch today, -salmon and mixed greens, I felt better. I am on the west coast and at work. It is about 2pm pacific time.
It's when I get home that I worry about, but once I do get home I'll make sure I have the forum on line.

I will be sure to keep this forum active, I did post in the journal section under E. So I hope I have all the tools I need to succeed. I have never done this before, but have heard to many wonderful things from people who have.

But this site really gives you the boost to remember why I am doing this, and that I am not the only one. I work for the airlines, and so it sometimes is hard to try to keep on track of food. But it sounds like eating out or fast food joints is not too difficult, as long as you pay attention to what you order.

I'll be back-
E&J

Leebugboo
Fri, Dec-14-01, 06:48
Welcome E&J.........you are most definitely not alone! You have a lot of new friends and support here. Stick to your plan and you will succeed. I will check out your journal in a bit, too. Good Luck!

sunsight13
Fri, Dec-14-01, 07:30
Hi everyone :wave:

I can't wait to join your 190 club. My goal is by the end of January. This is perfect and something to shoot for. Thanks for starting this.

Susan

Leebugboo
Fri, Dec-14-01, 07:42
I am cheering for you!!!!! :cheer: :bhug:

spatzei
Fri, Dec-14-01, 07:59
This is such a great idea for a thread! I too am 193 as of yesterday...started at 200lbs. I am keeping to the Induction phase of Atkins seeing as I have been "rewarding" myself when I lose. As of today, also starting in earnest and like everyone else, I wish it would come off faster, but I am very happy with what I have accomplished so far. My mom even told me yesterday that I "look" thinner already... :lol: :cheer: leaders.

I will be 30 in February, single and have been laid off from my job. The job thing had me down pretty bad in the beginning of the week, but as of yesterday, looks like things might be turning around...keep your fingers crossed for me!! Not an easy time to keep the bills up to date and go Christmas shopping! YUK!!

I also would love to break into the 180's by X-mas, this gives me only a week and a half or so....I will really have to watch myself! I know I can do this and I know the rest of you can do it too!! This such a great support team!

Well, that is all for now, and I look forward to keeping up with all of you!

Deb :dazzle:

DGriffin
Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:12
Good Afternoon to you all...I fit right into the 190's..I've lost a bit..I've gotten down from 218 to 213, and now I'm 193(A young lady I work with came up to me and said..what in the world are doing, please tell me..that is a boost to the esteem)..I am also hoping to get down to 180 very soon...Sure, let's encourage each other down to the 150 mark...

DGriffin
Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:16
Spatzei...sorry about the job thing...keep your head up...hope you find what you need...way to go on the 7 pounds..I think you can reach your goal in 1week and 1/2!

E&J
Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:51
It's great to see others here. The more the merrier.
--Spatzei, good luck on the job thing. You may actually
be getting a better job.
I hit 30 last April, and it feels like over the hill, but I am
sure once I get done to a comfortable size things will
look up.

E&J

spatzei
Fri, Dec-14-01, 17:10
Thanks E&J! My second interview went really well this afternoon and should know by next week! And your right, it would be a better job and more moola too!!

deb :wave:

kyfaithly
Sat, Dec-15-01, 09:01
Gee, get busy and don't journal a day or two and come back and have a whole bunch of things going on.

Welcome E&J, DGriffin, sunsight13, and Tikerberi!!

Shirlfe looks like your 190's club is taking off! And with you and Lee, let me say, she's loves a competition , good luck to you both :D

Is anyone doing the OWL, or are all of you on Induction??

Leebugboo
Sat, Dec-15-01, 15:54
DGriffin...........I am with you! LETS support each other and drag each other kicking and screaming into the new, thinner, healthier us world! :D

Shirlfe
Sat, Dec-15-01, 19:15
Deb, Keep your head up, a job is right around the corner. Keep up with the low carb.
I am losing, but had to take some meds. for my sinus infection, that keeps hanging on. Hope it don't slow me up.
I had some chilli tonight and hadn't eaten nothing but celery all day. Was so busy, I didn't take time to eat and I know it's a no,no.
I Will weigh next Friday and let you know about the weight loss.
Getting close to XMAS. I Still have a few thing's to do.
OK everyone, let's get down into those 180's. More fun when we do it together. Hug's Shirl :thup:

kyfaithly
Sun, Dec-16-01, 11:54
I am so bored with this way of eating, but it's my own fault. I am not the plan ahead type of cook. I am more the "what's in the fridge, fly be the seat of my pants, is what's for dinner type."

Spatzei, hope the job is in the bag :D.

OWL sucks, not losing, but thankfully not gaining either. Atkins says it takes a couple of weeks to figure out a losing rate but I'm sooooooooo impatient. I want losses, lots and lots of losses :mad:. If I continue on OWL, I will not have any more weight off by Christmas :thdown:. The thing I don't understand is that I'm not getting more than 20 to 30 carbs per day, you would think I'd still be losing.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I still continue to be totally unhungry (is this the way anorexia starts?). Who would have thought that I would ever have trouble getting enough food in me. All this excess weight didn't get here by not being hungry. In fact, it's pretty weird being not hungry enough to even binge. I have Oreo's, Fudge Striped Cookies, and M&Ms all around, no desire to even look at them. And the ice cream is getting old in the freezer. HA HA, that's a first from a total ice cream shake freak! :D.

wawtigress
Mon, Dec-17-01, 06:00
Hi, I tried the 190's but my inexperience with the computer made me think this was inactive since no post since Dec. 1. But a nice person helped me and said i needed to click on the pages out to the side . presto , I found you.I'm down to 190 from 200 and my next goal is 180. I posted my journal under t-z and finding a lot of good info . Like to hear about your experiences with your weight losses and slowdowns.Wawtigress

alto
Mon, Dec-17-01, 09:46
Hi, WAWTigress -- you found it!!! (It takes some exploring to figure out all the nooks and crannies of this forum :) )

I hope you get a lot of info and support from the 190s Club :)

kyfaithly
Tue, Dec-18-01, 07:32
Welcome to the 190's Waw. Yours is one of the journals I tried to read daily. We can do this, we can, we can :D

AngelaR
Fri, Dec-21-01, 05:08
Howdy everyone. This looks like a place where I can fit in too. Seems like we have a little bit of a mix of people who want to hit 190, and people who's start weight was in the 190's. That's okey dokey. I'm sure we will have lots to share.

I had a wonderful conversation this week with a dear friend of mine. We haven't seen each other in person for about 3 years, but are in touch regularly by phone and by email. We had lapsed into a 3 month void, and got caught up with a Christmas phone call. She told me she had lost 57 pounds this year (she started at 240) and is now around my weight. Turns out she's "sort of LCing" without knowing it. She's eating healthier, cut out bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and is eating more dairy, fruit and healthier stuff. I'm going to send her a copy of Protein Power as a surprise. Even though she's not being true to the purist LC way of life, she's made remarkable progress.

I guess it just goes to show that this WOL can work with great flexibility for some people. We all just need to find the right "groove" and learn what our wiggle room is!

I had a bit of a slip this week and learned that I have very little wiggle room. (6 cookies, 2 sausage mcmuffins and way too many macadamia nuts rewarded me very quickly with 3 pounds of water weight). Looks to me like I'm going to need to stay pretty tight, like living inside a LC girdle. If I wiggle and jiggle the plan even a bit, my body gets even real fast. Has anyone else found they react the same way?

I'll be checking in regularly. Everyone have a great day! :wave:

AngelaR
Fri, Dec-21-01, 05:18
Originally posted by kyfaithly
Atkins says it takes a couple of weeks to figure out a losing rate but I'm sooooooooo impatient. I want losses, lots and lots of losses :mad:. If I continue on OWL, I will not have any more weight off by Christmas :thdown:. The thing I don't understand is that I'm not getting more than 20 to 30 carbs per day, you would think I'd still be losing.

Have you tried keeping track of your weight loss on a chart? Either pencil and paper, or a graph in an electronic spreadsheet will do. I started right from day 1 (I weigh myself daily) and it has helped me realize that I loose weight in steps. After the initial starting whoosh, it was a pound off, then hang there for a week or so, then another pound and so on. My chart looks like a set of stairs. Knowing that helped me to be more patient.

Cher
Sat, Dec-22-01, 12:10
Well, this is just where I am...sort of struggling in the 190's. I'm down from 230...which is nice, but, it would be great if I could hang out with this group for a while (I feel a little lost on this board...it's so big). I'm 5'8 1/2...so my first goal is to get to 165 and then access where I am...and possibly go for 145. Anyway, it would be nice to be with a support group that has the same amount of weight to lose...although...I sort of relater to everyone on the board :-)

sunshine2
Thu, Dec-27-01, 10:12
Well, I am definitely in this club! I've been stuck in the 190's for three months, thats right THREE MONTHS. Finally broke 195 and down to 193 (but I'm up this week because water weight). This is a wonderful idea. Maybe we all can set some goals, like 10 pounds loss by certain date or something. Just to get us all motivated, just an idea. The xmas challenge was kinda kewl that someone started, I think it was 25 pounds by xmas. We could do something of that sort, but make it a holiday a little closer than xmas ;) . Weigh in every Monday and report our stats? Any suggestions?

Cher
Thu, Dec-27-01, 10:45
That's a great idea Sunshine2. I have also been stuck in the 190's for quite some time and I would love to set another interim goal date... What about setting a goal to lose 10 pounds by Valentine's day? I agree that we could either weight in on Monday's or, just report in and talk about our progress and our obstacles. What does everyone think?

sunshine2
Thu, Dec-27-01, 11:13
Cher, lets do it. Lets make a challenge amoung ourselves and whoever else wants to chime in, 10 pounds by 2/14/02. Lets all report our weight. I'm starting mine today, and Valentines day is on a Thursday as well, thats 7 weeks we have to loose 10 pounds, thats about 1.5 pounds per week we need to loose.

Weight 12/27/01 195

Just think, by Valentines day, we'll break these 190's and FINALLY be in the 180's. Man, won't that be so wonderful!

Who else wants to join the challenge?

Cher
Thu, Dec-27-01, 11:30
Sunshine2,

Oh great...I think this is a very healthy challenge! I weight in on Monday's....so I'm make sure to check in with my weight this coming Monday.
How Fun! I'm excited...thank you for your support!

I blew it on Christmas Eve and Christmas....so, I know that I might pay a price this week. But, I feel like this challenge will help me to get right back on track again!

I really look forward to being under 190 :cool:

sunsight13
Fri, Dec-28-01, 01:43
You guys, you will be well out of the 190s club before I get there, but my goal is to be part of the 190s club by Valentine's Day. I am at 216 today.

Cher, I applaud you. Your goals are so close to mine. I, too, am 5' 8.5" and am shooting first for 165. I would be ecstatic at 150, so we shall see.

I am a California girl, having spent most of my life in San Diego, so right now, with a foot of snow outside my window and 22 degree weather, I envy you being in Southern California. I will be back for a vacation next September and will never tire of being in that corner of the world.

I so want to be part of this forum soon, so I will watch your challenge and root for you. Good luck on breaking into the 180s! :cheer:

Susan

sunshine2
Fri, Dec-28-01, 08:21
How about that, I'm a California girl too, I was born in Bakersfield, lived in Santa Paula/Ventura area for quite some time, until my family decided Oklahoma was the place to be. So they loaded up the truck and moved to Tulsee ( :D )

Susan, I was once where you are right now, and I thought I would never see under 200, it took me a while, and you would've thought I won the lottery when I stepped on the scales and it said 199, I really did cry. Now, I can't believe I'm trying to get to the 180's. Who would've thought it. Anyhow, what I've trying to say, I know you'll get there, we're cheering for you too!

Marlaine
Fri, Dec-28-01, 13:08
Hi there Everyone!!

I'm not quite to the 190's yet, but I'm gonna be really soon!

I keep reading posts about rate of weight loss and I wanted to share with you my point of view on it. If you've read my journal, you know that I had a lot of difficulty in the first six weeks or so that I did LC. I think that the only control that we have over our rate of loss is to follow the program to the best of our abilities, tweeking and tuning it until we find the unique version that suits us best.

For that reason, I try not to set "pounds lost" goals for myself because if I don't make it I'll be disappointed. I think our bodies work they way they work and drop weight at a rate that is beyond our ability to control other than fine-tuning our fuel. Since I weigh myself every morning, I look forward to it with eager anticipation. If I've lost, I am delighted, and if I didn't lose, I have the satisfaction of knowing that I am following the plan and that the pounds will drop when my body is ready to shed them. It's like I'm observing a scientific experiment. The question is: What does it take for Marlaine to lose weight most efficiently? I'm working at finding that answer.

This is a mindset that I've been developing since I started LCing and it sure relieves a lot of stress and negative feelings for me. My Number One goal in life is to live peacefully and positively. I choose to be happy and I'm getting better and better at it as time goes by. I think LCing has really helped with my body and brain chemistry and I'm grateful for that as part of my success.

I'm looking forward to participating in this thread.

Marlaine

AngelaR
Sat, Dec-29-01, 05:54
Go for it girls! If you need the challenge of losing 10 pounds by Valentines Day, and it keeps you motivated and on track, then more power to you. Good luck. I'll be watching and cheering you on. Here's hoping that your body is going where your mind wants to be. :p

I'm choosing not to participate because I loose so slowly, and my body will get there when it is ready, not by a date I set in a calendar. I lost 11 pounds in the first week. In the following 7 weeks I lost 8 pounds. That's only ounces more than 1 pound a week. I doubt that I'd reach a 10 pound loss by Valentines so I don't want to set myself up for a disappointment.

Instead, my first short term goal is to hit 166 some time in 2002. That would be the first weight in 10 years that doesn't have a 7, 8 or 9 in it. When I hit that, I'm going for a spa day....facial, manicure and pedicure.

We all have different things that motivate us. For me it's a chance to spoil me rotten at the spa.

Shirlfe
Sat, Dec-29-01, 15:09
I am back and rarin to go! I had a sinus infection and thought I would never get over it, and then Christmas, and I wasn't a very good girl over Christmas. I am pushing restart. I am in induction. 1st. day. Hope everyone's dreams come true in the New Year, 2002. Hug's, Shirl.

Shirlfe
Sun, Dec-30-01, 08:13
I am in my second day of induction. I plan on salad's and maybe boiled eggs. Meat in my salads. I ached all over this morning, hope that's not the norm. I feel better now, since I have been up a while.
Alto ,I deleted my Private message's so you can get me now, they said you tried to message me, but I had to delete my messages, that it was full, so I did.
Well, I will Ck. back with you guy's later in the day.
Have a good one.
Hug's, Shirl :wave:

donnaj
Sun, Dec-30-01, 18:17
Shirlfe and Kyfaithly,
I was 192 and I am down to 187 in the four days on induction.
Here is what I had today: Breakfast: 2 slices of bacon with two eggs. Lunch: cucumber,3 slice of roast beef,1 tomato slice with salt,pepper and splenda),cooked brocolli with cheese. I have 64 oz. of water and 2 cups of coffee. :wave:

Shirlfe
Sun, Dec-30-01, 20:27
:thup: Way to go Donna. I will weigh Friday and let you know what I weigh. I have gained back some of the weight I had lost, so need to change my stat's again. I am not giving up. This is my year. I am going to start using my stepper for exercise. Hug's, Shirl

donnaj
Sun, Dec-30-01, 20:35
Shirley,
We well make it. :thup: I am tired of feeling sick and tired all the time. I want to live life to the fullest . I will email tomorrow to tell you how I am doing and what I ate. Soon, we see a new us. :wave:

sunshine2
Fri, Jan-04-02, 12:12
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marlaine
[I keep reading posts about rate of weight loss and I wanted to share with you my point of view on it. If you've read my journal, you know that I had a lot of difficulty in the first six weeks or so that I did LC. I think that the only control that we have over our rate of loss is to follow the program to the best of our abilities, tweeking and tuning it until we find the unique version that suits us best. ]

Marlaine, I read your journal, or at least I've started reading it, I can see you did have some great difficulty the first weeks, but boy, look at you go now. I was reading it because I saw a post where I believe Alto committed on how you struggled and now you are on a roll, she recommended we read it, so I've started reading it. I have that same problem, I loose, and I continue to be very strict on the program, and I start gaining. I just can't figure it out. I'll give you an example

(these are all on the same very accurate digital scale, the same time and everything and I always weigh in the nude - saves a few pounds ;) )

12/28/01 - 203
12/30/01 - 199
12/31/01 - 196
1/1/02 - 193
1/2/02 198
1/3/02 193
1/4/02 197

NOTICE 1/2/02, jump up 5 pounds, then lost three, then this morning up another 2?? anyhow, it gets discouraging. I want so badly to get out of the 190's, I've just been here too long. Nothing seems to work. I thought I was so close on 1/1 and just so happy, then bam back up to 198. :( geez, will I ever get there?

Marlaine
Fri, Jan-04-02, 12:36
Originally posted by sunshine2
NOTICE 1/2/02, jump up 5 pounds, then lost three, then this morning up another 2?? anyhow, it gets discouraging. I want so badly to get out of the 190's, I've just been here too long. Nothing seems to work. I thought I was so close on 1/1 and just so happy, then bam back up to 198. :( geez, will I ever get there?

Hey there sunshine!

I can certainly understand your frustration and discouragement. However, the fact is that you can't gain that much FAT overnight.

I'm of the opinion that those scale bounces are all water. When I hit a new low, I adjust my stats here and consider it a fact. When the scales bounces up after that I don't worry too much because I know that I am following the program, doing the same things I've been doing all along. So, when my body is ready I know that it will let go of the excess water and next few pounds. I think it's just a matter of having confidence in our ability to do the LC program. I'm trying not to waste any mental energy fretting over how fast I'm losing. And anyway...I'm doing this as a WOL, not just a temporary diet!

There was an excellent post about water that I read in the last day or two, but unfortunately I can't find it right now. If I come up with it, I'll post it here again.

Hang on there....your time will come!

Marlaine

sunshine2
Fri, Jan-04-02, 13:14
Marlaine:

Thank you so much for your kind words. I never really thought about the fact that YOU CAN'T GAIN 5 pounds of FAT in one night, and only posting my low and the rest would be water weight. I have a major problem with holding water, my doctor used to perscribe me water pills to help, but I became addicted or should I say dependent on them. I got to where I would take double the dosage if I gained 1/2 pound, then I would quickly loose 7 pounds, then gain it back again, over and over, vicious cycle, finally my potassium was so low, the doctor refused to give me any more. So, I'm glad I found this WOL. I need to develop your attitutude and just accept the fact that when my body is ready, it will release this weight, and nothing will change that. It will take some work and attitude adjusment for me to think that way, I'm so hooked on that damn scale.

Thank you again, you helped more than you will know. Your a very inspirational person.

sunshine2
Mon, Jan-07-02, 11:44
Okay, I'm over the sorrow thing I had last week. I dug some old photos out of me last January, and I was very pleased with my weight now. Boy what a difference a year can make!

So this morning the scales read 195.5, last year they were 228. So instead of focusing on how much more I need to loose, I'm going to enjoy the weight I've lost so far and just think how much better I'm going to look NEXT January.

So, here's to the 190's club!

donnaj
Mon, Jan-07-02, 17:19
Sunshine,
That is how I felt after see old picture of myself. I am living one day at a time and enjoying every moment of it.
By the way, your name for the group is what my husband nickname is for me. He said I brought sunshine when I walked inot a room. So I know you do the same. :D
I weighed this morning I am now 184 from 192 and I still have 4 days of induction to go. :cheer: :Party: Have your try the mock danish yet? It is getting great review on the other board. I am going to try it as a treat when I end induction.
Thanks friend for being here for me. :wave:

sunshine2
Tue, Jan-08-02, 08:13
Donna:

The mock danish is truly wonderful. There are so many variations to it too. It's quick, convenient, you can eat it warm or cold. A lot of times I will make it in the evening and have it the next morning for breakfast. If you are having a "chocolate" graving, make the mock danish with a little cocoa, it taste like a brownie.

Sunshine was a nick name my daddy gave me as a little girl and it just stuck through the years, my whole family calls me that.

Congratulations for getting down to 184, that is awesome!!!!!! And you still have four days to go on inductions, wow! I started back on Induction last Saturday and have done good on it so far, I plan on staying on it for another month.

Congratulations again!

donnaj
Tue, Jan-08-02, 09:23
Thanks for encouragement. I can really use all the help I can get.
I have tried the mock danish yet but everyone I have talked to say it is wonderful. I will make it for myself after induction. I will try it with the chocolate. I bought some lo carb chocolate fudge drink at Wal Mart and I will use it after induction also. Maybe that will take care of the sweet attack for awhile. I use to experiment when I was on Atkins before and have not had time to start yet.
But I will. This is my way of life now and I quess what, I love it.
Have a wonderful lo carb day, my friend. :wave:

Cher
Thu, Jan-10-02, 19:23
But, I'm back and still on program (YaY).

Sunshine2...it looks like you're doing great. Sorry i haven't been on the boards but, I've been thinking about the Valentine's Day challenge and was happy that I weighed in at 190 this morning! Where did you find that mock danish recipe...it sounds good...lol. It's cool that you're in Bakersfield Ca...that's not far from Newport beach...it also looks like donnaJ is in California - how cool

This is funny...my Yorkshire terrier was named Sunshine Marie...I called her sunnie as a nick name. She died on Christmas eve at 14 years old...but, she added a lot of sunshine to my days.

donnaJ...that's so awesome that you're 184...I CAN"T WAIT till i'm in the 180...I will be so happy. Actually I'm quite happy wityh the weight that I've dropped so far...but, being in the 180's will be awesome! I agree with you sunshine...we need to be happy with the weight we've lost so far...we've come a long way!

Marlaine...thanks for posting your support. I totally understand not wanting to set yourself up especailly with the "Stalls"...I'm slowly getting out of my 190's stall (whick seemed to take forever). You have done so incredible on this WOE...I'm so happy for you!

AngelaR...thanks for checking in with the 190's club. I appreciate the support you've given marlaine...I also understand losing slow. This has felt really slow to me but, when you add all the pounds up it's awesome. So, I'm hoping the best for all of us. By the way, it would be great to be anywhere in the 160 in 2002! I agree :-)

Well, sorry I was away for a while...it looks like everyone is doing great. Hope to get re-connected again

Marlaine
Fri, Jan-11-02, 00:04
Originally posted by Cher
It's cool that you're in Bakersfield Ca...that's not far from Newport beach...it also looks like donnaJ is in California - how cool

Sounds like the makings of an LC Coffee Group. I'd encourage you all to meet. We have a wonderful time when we are together here in Vancouver. What a bonus! Losing weight AND making some great new friends!

I'll be happy to get TO the 190's. I've been hung here since last year....December 31st to be exact! Had coffee with Ruth tonight and she's quite certain that I shouldn't be worrying about it! I'm not worried...I'm just anxious to get my Bodacious BFL Babe Body.....the 140 pound version!

Marlaine

Ruth
Fri, Jan-11-02, 00:16
Originally posted by Marlaine

I'll be happy to get TO the 190's. I've been hung here since last year....December 31st to be exact! Had coffee with Ruth tonight and she's quite certain that I shouldn't be worrying about it! I'm not worried...I'm just anxious to get my Bodacious BFL Babe Body.....the 140 pound version!

Marlaine

M: I have no doubts that you will have that BFL body THIS year. You have a lot of determination, commitment and resolve (is this the same thing, am I being repetitive?) We are going to have a lot of fun getting healthy. It has been alluded to that I have an obsession with the scale.... you don't want to be obsessive, do you? LOL, I'm teasing you. You'll see 199 soon, I'm positively sure :)

Cher
Fri, Jan-11-02, 00:39
Marlaine,

That does sound like fun (meeting everyone)...that's great that you've gotten together with a group from Vancouver! That must add a lot of support to your program.

You are so close to the 190's, and you've done so well...you look great! And, what an inspiration you've been for everybody (just reading all the posts). I can't wait until I'm in the 140's either. It seems like I'm really ready for that again (although my body seems to need to catch up with my thoughts...lol).
We will make it and soon. By next Christmas I think we will all be amazed. The time seems so long when we're going through this weight loss phase. And, so short when we look back on it (isn't that amazing). I'm excited for all of us

Gilta
Mon, Jan-14-02, 09:49
I am almost done with my 2 week induction. I have only lost 2 lbs., but with help from people here I found out 3 things. I did not eat enough, did not drink enough and I needed to eliminate or reduce my salt intake!

I hope by Wed, I will be down another 2 lbs. I have my 20th class reunion in July and I am on the committee. I want to lose about 2 lbs/week to reach my goal. I will start exercising in a few weeks. It usually takes me that long after I change my eating to feel normal again.

I look forward to chatting soon!

Gilta

sunshine2
Mon, Jan-14-02, 10:26
Hey Cher, (love the new pic). I wish I lived in California, but I moved back to Oklahoma 20 years ago. If ever I get out there, I'll let you know and we can hook up for coffee.

I was feeling a little down this morning, was hoping the scales would show a loss, but they haven't. I weighed last Thursday and they said 193.5, today, they say 195.5. So, I'm going to blame it on muscle weight. I'm going to stay off the scales until next Monday the 21st, just too disappointed when they don't show a loss. Even a 1/2 pound loss would've been welcomed by me. However, Tama suggested I measure myself, so tomorrow, I'm going to have my trainers at Curves re-measure me, this way I will see how many inches I've lost since December 28th (the last measurement) versus pounds. Even though the scales say I'm up two pounds, I just don't feel like it. I do feel thinner, my clothes are looser.

I'm still shooting for the 10 pounds by Valentines day, but the way it is right now, I've only lost 1/2 pound since our "10 pounds by Valentine day challenge". But as they say, it ain't over until the fat lady sings, and I ain't singing. LOL.

Cher
Mon, Jan-14-02, 11:09
Gilta,
Hi, I don't think we've met on the boards yet so I just wanted to say hello, welcome and congratulations on almost
being done with induction...that's awesome! You're so right about eating enough food and drinking enough water..I didn't think about the salt intake (my dr's have made me add salt because my pressure drops too low and I black out)...but, the fact is that salt can really cause bloat and water retention. Drinking the water really helps to push that fluid and any toxins right through the body. So, I'll think I'll run downstairs to get some water right now...lol. I understand your goal to lose 2 pounds a week (because I'd love to do the same). The thing that I've noticed is that sometimes the body just releases weight in it's own time (boy...do I hate that). But, what's truly amazing is just getting through the next 6 months and then looking at our progress. I think we will all be amazed :-) Sunshine2 and I have set a short term goal to lose 10 pounds by Valentine's Day...and that small goal is just hard enough.

Sunshine2,
Ohhhh for some reason I though you were in California too. Thanks for your comment about my pic...I appreciate that. I noticed that a few people have pictures on line and it's kind of nice to see what people look like....you feel like you know them a little more.

I go through the same thing with my weight loss...especially with exercising. I am weight training and as we all know "muscle weights more than fat". The nice thing is the inches seems to go down pretty fast even if the scale isn't showing it yet. I'm glad you took starting measurements on December 28th...it will be fun to see your progress. It's a really good sign that you already feel thinner and that your clothes are fitting better (YaY Sunshine2). I usually try to measure once a month...and last measurement my waist was down 5 1/2 inches...even though my weight loss seemed stalled...that was pretty nice! What type of exercise program did you set up at Curves (I think that's a gym...right)?

I'm still trying to lose 10 by Valentine's day...but, the truth is I'll be happy with whatever progress I make....especially if the inches keep going down. Don't worry, we'll do our best and see what happens!

Gilta
Mon, Jan-14-02, 11:42
Cher,

Thanks for the welcome. I am just getting into this. I would love to jump on your bandwagon to lose 10 lbs by 2/14. I hope to start exercising shortly. I think that will help.

As soon as I get a picture I like, I will post it.

Gilta

sunshine2
Mon, Jan-14-02, 12:32
I am going to have a friend scan one of my recent pics then I will try and post it as well, not sure how to do that yet, since I am totally computer "stupid". LOL

I do something called circuit training at curves, its an all women workout place. Its a 40 minute exercise program where you go from machine to machine and in between the machines you are jogging. Its a combo weight/aerobic training. It burnes 500-600 calories by the time you finish.

They measure me once a month and weigh me in as well to check my progress, my weigh in date is the 14th of each month, but I weighed in the the 28th and got measured because they are having a contest this month. We all had to pay $5 and at the end of the month, whoever looses the most weight and inches combined gets the pot, its around $150. (I sure would like to win that).

Well I just got back from my ab exercise with my trainer, and all I can say is "ouch". I'm already feeling it, so tomorrow, I hope I can even breath.

Gilta
Tue, Jan-15-02, 07:10
Sunshine,

My MIL swears by Curves. Unfortunately, there is not one by me yet. I joined a new club called RAC ( Rochester Athletic Club) for women. It is opening in March so I am trying to lose a little before I show myself in public.

For now I am going to try to exercise, either nortic track or paddle at least 3x/week. My husband and I play Friday nights so 1 down!

I way in tomorrow to see how much I lost on the induction. I am trying to cut out the salt today and drink tons of water. I only lost 2lbs the 1st week, so I am hoping more this week.

Gilta

Cher
Tue, Jan-15-02, 11:49
Gilta... that's great! We can all try for our valentine's goal together...there's more support (Yey). Good for you that you're exercising. I'm getting ready to start my lower body work out today. I've been in a lot of pain so wish me luck!

Sunshine2...how fun, I look forward to seeing your picture. I'm terrible at scanning, so, DH had mine scanned at a Kinkos...lol. Wow! That circuit training sounds great - especially the part where it burns 500 -600 calories...but, also the combo training part....Way To Go! I relate to the "ouch" part...lol that's exactly how I'm feeling right now.

Have a great day!

Gilta
Wed, Jan-16-02, 06:51
Sunshine and Cher,

Well I was awfully excited this morning. I got on the scale this morning. I dropped 3 lbs from last week! I think all this support has helped. I am eating much less cheese and salt items and more water. Only 7 more by 2/14! At this rate, I should make it. I have to find some new things to eat or I will go wacko. Any ideas on meat recipes? I looked at this website and they were ok, but I like hearing from people directly.

Gilta

Cher
Thu, Jan-17-02, 14:34
Gilta,

That is awesome! Way To Go :cheer:

It looks like your changes (less cheese, salt and more water) made a difference quick. I'm so happy for you....and very cool that it only leaves 7 pounds for our Valentine's Day challenge. I'm not great on recipes yet, however, there are some low-carb cookbook's on the web. I'm not sure if it's OK to refer to link here so, I'll try to check that and then let you know. Actually, I've never done this, but, if I can send you an e-mail I'll try to send one of the books. One of my quick stand by's is taco's without the shell (I guess that tells you how limited I am....LOL).

Sunshine2...how are you doing?

sunshine2
Thu, Jan-17-02, 15:31
Hello all, well, I haven't weighed yet since last Monday, and I will weigh this Monday. I'm losing slowly and hoping to make the 10 pounds, but the rate i'm going, it doesn't look like I will I'm still aiming to do it and have changed my menu some too, cut out the cheese, upped the fat and calories and more water and exercise. Even though the weight loss has been slow, I have lost 6 1/2" since December 28th so I'm happy about that. I'm still tweaking my menu to see what works, I will know more on the 21st and will let you guys know. I'm sure hoping for a whoosh.

Gilta, one of my favorite meat dishes, is just pure and simple, fry up some ground beef, turkey or whatever, add a few diced onions, some bell peppers, mushrooms, and add some spices like chili powder. Then I put about a teaspoon or two of salsa on it and some sour cream, yum yum. I guess this is kinda like a taco salad without the shell. Also, I like to take some chicken, diced up and add mayo, egg, green onions, celery, basically a chicken salad. Sometimes I even add a few nuts to it to give it more of a "crunch". I guess you can say, I just make my own recipe up as I go along. There is a good stuffed bell pepper recipe in the Dr. Atkins book I'm thinking about trying, if I do, I'll tell you how it is.

Cher
Thu, Jan-17-02, 16:56
Sunshine2,

It sounds like you're doing really well. 6 1/2 pounds since December 28th is awesome. Sometimes, I'm lucky if I lose 1 pound a week. The good thing...is that add's up to 52 pounds a year (I'll be at goal weight by the end of next year...lol). actually, I've had stalls where I don't even lose 1 pounds a week now that I think about it. Oh well...it doesn't matter because we will all get there! You both have either cut down on or cut out cheese...and, that is really good. It seems like since I've been trying to cut it out...I'm wanting it more - I hate that! However, I know that I'm one of the ones who shouldn't have cheese and it inhibits my weight loss...so, I'll just have to work on it. Good for you two!

Marlaine
Thu, Jan-17-02, 17:07
On December 31st my scale said 200.5. Since then it's bounced around between that and 203. Earlier this week, I got to 200, but it feels like my body is tormenting me just because I WANT so badly to be under 200! It's just a good thing I have a sense of humour!

:daze:

Marlaine

Cher
Thu, Jan-17-02, 19:44
Marlaine,

Boy, does that ever sound familiar. My DH was telling me the other day, remember when you kept saying can I just get under 200 pounds. It seems like I went up and down and all around 200 pounds for at least 8-10 weeks...and just as I'd hit 200, I'd go up to 205 the next day. Finally, I broke that and went into the 190's but every once in a while I'd go up to 200 again. I have a feeling that that's exactly what's going to happen in the 180's. I hit 189, then went down to 187, then went up to 194, then back down to 190 and then 189. Also, when I hit 189, I looked at my Dh and said "watch tomorrow I'll be in the 190's again. If it wasn't for the reality of fitday and my journal, Id' probably give up...but, the charts keep me in line! I can see the progress over time and it's awesome! I know that since the middle of August I've made progress, and that's what keeps me going.

In the long haul...the weight loss is massive! But, when I look at the short-term it can be frustrating. That's why it's great to have a sense of humor about this and to know that we're making progress.

donnaj
Thu, Jan-17-02, 19:49
Marlaine,
Hang in there girl and you will see under 200 very shortly. You have done wonderfully so far. :cheer: and I know this stall is short lived. I will be here if you need me as you have been here for me. :rose: :bhug: to cheer you up.

Marlaine
Thu, Jan-17-02, 23:23
Cher and Donna...

Thank you thank you ladies! Your kind words mean a lot to me! I think when I see my first weigh-in under 200 I'm going to be singing it from the rooftops!

Marlaine

Gilta
Fri, Jan-18-02, 07:12
Sounds like we all go through the same thing time and time again. I lost another pound, but may be up again next week. I am trying to start exercising so maybe that will help keep it down.

Marlaine, I can hardly wait until I hear you sing! It will be wonderful to hear.

Sunshine, trust me inches counts more than pounds. I still have not lost any inches. My clothes still feel tight. I thought with 6 pounds it would make a little difference, but not yet.

Cher, can you just come to my house and cheer me on? How can one fail with all your positive thoughts???

I went through some really tough times over the 3 years and that is how I gained most of my weigh. I was in fertility treatment, which unfortunately did not work for us. I am getting my life back and I want to take the weight off. I appreciate all of your support.

Gilta
6 more til 2/14/02

sunshine2
Fri, Jan-18-02, 08:10
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cher
It sounds like you're doing really well. 6 1/2 pounds since December 28th is awesome.

I wish I had lost 6 1/2 pounds, but it wasn't pounds that I've lost but inches. I've only lost 1/2 pound or so and have lost 6 1/2 inches since December 28.

Marlaine, you know that I know what your going through, I wanted so badly to get under 200 too, and when I did, I just cried, I felt a major load lifted off my shoulder, not sure why, but I did. Now I feel the same way about getting out of the 190's. I've been here since September. We will get there, I'm sure of it. I'm doing the same thing, bounce from 193 to 195.5, not sure why. I'm still tweaking my menu and will weigh Monday to see if I've accomplished anything this week. I'm trying to find out what is making me stall. I just feel if I could just get to 189 things will start happening (I felt the same about getting to 199). Yes, our bodies are tormenting us, I've had to develop a sense of humor myself. LOL

Gilta, I know fertility treatments can make you gain weight, I have a friend who just went through it and was telling me how much weight she had gained. Unfortunately, it did not work for her either. They have been married 15 years, and finally resorted to raising cats. They would've made great parents, but God must have other plans for them right now.

Cher, keep up the great work.......looks like you and Gilta are going to make that 10 pound challenge. :D

Well, off to eat my bacon and eggs........

Marlaine
Fri, Jan-18-02, 10:15
I'm here to announce my official entry into the 190's club!!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

This morning I finally broke the barrier and weighed in at 199#! Boy oh boy oh boy am I happy!!

Marlaine

sunshine2
Fri, Jan-18-02, 10:17
Oh, reading that just brought tears to my eyes. I know how happy you are. I'm so proud of you. Enjoy this day girl, you've earned it, Don't you just want to get on top of a building and yell "I'm under 200".

Congratulations girlfriend!

Gilta
Fri, Jan-18-02, 10:46
It is time to celebrate with a Sip of Water! Marlaine, congrats! What a wonderful Friday. I can hear you singing all the way to New York!

Gilta

:Party:

Cher
Fri, Jan-18-02, 11:14
(((((((((((MARLAINE)))))))))))))))

That is so cool! Congratulations on being in the 190's :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Way to go Marlaine :yay:

Sunshine2... sorry, I obviously got mixed up. But, 6 1/2 inches is still awesome, it sounds like a few pounds are ready to come off. Those pounds are a little stubborn, especially when you're exercising. But, I bet your clothes are fitting better. I have a size 14 jeans that I've been wearing and finally they are beginning to get baggy. I know that because of the exercise...it has to be. Wow! I will definitely sing and shout when I can fit into my size 12 jeans...that day will be awesome. By the way, I've made that mock danish a few times and it's great! Thanks for letting me know about it. I can't get in the habit of doing cream cheese to much because of the candida. But, it's just a nice change on special days.

Gilta, I'm not familliar with fertility treatments, but, I can imagine that any drugs and combined stress can cause weight gain. I always wanted to have a child, but, waited to late, and then went through an illness. I looked at a fertility brochure and a friend told me that their treatment costs them $24,000 and they still didn't get pregnant. That just wasn't an option of me (financially). So, I decided not to persue it. But, I would have really liked to have a child...so, I totally understand haw stressful that can be.

Gilta
Fri, Jan-18-02, 14:16
Have a safe and happy long weekend. I am off and I swore to my husband I would not get on the computer since I am on it for work all day. Hope to come back and find out we all are real close to our 2/14 goal.

Gilta :D

donnaj
Fri, Jan-18-02, 19:42
Marlaine, a reporter reported seeing fireworks in the sky. Now I know it came your way. Congratulation and welcome to 190's. :yay: You made my day with this wonderful news. :wave:

Marlaine
Fri, Jan-18-02, 22:58
Thank you Thank you ladies!! It feels really good to have that particular pound off. It also feels great to have you cheering for me. Means a lot to me. Thanks again.

Marlaine

Cher
Sun, Jan-20-02, 00:19
I forgot to let you know that I tried the Mock Danish (in fact, I've had it about 4 times) and yum! Wow! What a pleasant treat that was. This morning, I added fresh strawberries and whipped cream and I though I felt like I was eating a Belgium waffle! Thanks for telling us about it :-)

Marlaine
Sun, Jan-20-02, 01:13
I forgot to let you know that I tried the Mock Danish (in fact, I've had it about 4 times) and yum! Wow!

I've started adding an extra ounce of cream cheese to it to help get my calories and carbs up. Tastes pretty darn good that way!

Marlaine

Cher
Sun, Jan-20-02, 01:39
I added a little extra creem cheese today also (2 1/2 ounces) and it's less eggy that way. The true test will be making for my mother and sister tomorrow...my mom is hesitant to try anything, but, I think she will enjoy this!

donnaj
Mon, Jan-21-02, 08:41
I just tried it and I was blown away. I used cinnamon and butter.
I could eat these all day. Cher, I have a husband like that and I am going to make one for him for dessert tonight for dinner. I think he is in for a surprise. :wave:

Cher
Mon, Jan-21-02, 11:13
I agree...I could eat the mock danish all day, it's really a treat. My DH tried it the other night and he kept asking for more of it (I was thinking NO...this is mine...but, I gave him some anyway...lol). I have to be careful because I really shouldn't eat cheese (I've had problems with candida). So, we'll see what happens.

Gilta
Tue, Jan-22-02, 06:53
I hope you all had a nice 3 day weekend. I did not lose any weight, but my clothes feel a little looser. I do the actual weigh in and measuring tomorrow am.

My mouth is drooling over this mock danish. Can someone write out the recipe or send me an email? I would love to try it. My husband is also doing this and is a little tired of now sweets with a bread of some sort.

I have done a lot of exercising this weekend, but did not do so well on the water. Oh well.

Gilta
jillgress~hotmail.com

donnaj
Tue, Jan-22-02, 07:33
Hello Cheer and Gilta,
That is wonderful that both your husband are supporting you. I have to say that I love my DH for being so supportive because it helps me with this journey. Cher, I also have to watch cheeses but wow! what we can look forward to as treat once in awhile.
I wish I could eat it every day.

Gilta, here is the recipe for the famous Mock Danish:Mock Danish

2 oz cream cheese (soften in microwave)
1 egg
1 tblspn splenda
1 tsp lemon concentrate
1/2 tsp vanilla

mix softened cream cheese and egg. Add remaining ingredients. microwave on high for 2 minutes.

I hope you will enjoy as much as I did.

Well ladies time to get started but have a great day. :wave:

sunshine2
Tue, Jan-22-02, 08:45
Well I finally stepped on those darn scales Monday, and I'm down ........yippie! Not much, but I don't care, I'm down! Changed my stats to 194 from last Monday at 195.5. So, I lost 1.5 pounds this week by adding more calories, go figure. I am going to stay off the scales this week, TOM is due to visit and I hate the scales when that is happening, they always show a 3-10 pound gain. :(

Gilta
Tue, Jan-22-02, 11:39
Donna, thanks for the recipe. I will try it out tonight. How many carbs, protein, fat and calories are in this? I want to put it on my fitday custom list.

Sunshine, congrats on dropping. I know what you mean about TOM. I always gain then.

I hope tomorrow I have good news to report. I have kept my calories up and my carbs pretty much so less than 30. I have exercised as well. I hope at least the inches came off.... I am tired of wearing woman's sized clothes. I would like to be able to walk into any store and buy.

Oh well, probably will be able to after 15 more lbs.

Gilta

Cher
Tue, Jan-22-02, 14:50
(((((((((((Sunshine)))))))))))) Way to go! Congratulations! Yeah...I was also thinking about that TOM...think I'll just avoid the scales then...lol. Keep up the good work!

Gilta...glad donnaj gave you the Mock Danish recipe. I use cinnamon instead of lemon (one of the variations that others listed). let me know how it tastes with lemon. Do you gals think that exercise slows down the weight loss? I think it does for me...but, all my clothes fit better...so, I think it's worth the trade off.

DonnaJ... yeah those incredibly supportive Dh's are so valuable. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be married to someone who was trying to sabotage my WOE or, someone who was uncomfortable with my weight. No matter what... DH always say's "you're beautiful" and that he doesn't care about the weight. I think that's because he's seem me literally starve myself with no results over the years... Thank God I get to eat now...LOL... oh...and...lose this weight!

Marlaine...how are you doing? you must be feeling really great...

Marlaine
Tue, Jan-22-02, 16:27
Marlaine...how are you doing? you must be feeling really great...

Hey Cher!!

I'm doing GREAT!! I'm quite surprised that I haven't crashed since my schedule has been so hectic since the beginning of January. I'm up at 6:30AM and go pretty much non stop until 10PM, between school and work. I'm done the day course at the end of this week so am planning a bit of a time out from the rushing around.

BFL is going very well and it surprises me that I leap out of bed with ease because I'm so looking forward to doing my workout each morning! Yes, I'm feeling GREAT!!

Marlaine

Cher
Wed, Jan-23-02, 00:53
Hi Marlaine, Glad you're doing so well! WoW you have a Hectic schedule...you must have your food worked out for the entire day (well in advance...LOL).
What are you studying in school?

I'm glad BFL is working so well...it must help to energize you for that schedule! That's awesome :-)

Shirlfe
Wed, Jan-23-02, 06:39
It's me, I am back, and at it again. Had a lot of thing's happen lately, but now back on track.
I am having a cup of coffee with cream and later I will have 2 egg's and bacon. Maybe Tuna for lunch and salad and a hamburger for supper and a salad. Boring food. Lol, but I am back on induction.
I want to try and cook some of the recipes, so I won't get bored with eating, but then maybe I should get bored with eating. Lol.
Everyone have a great day. Hope to be in the 170's by my Birthday in March. Hug's Shirl

Gilta
Wed, Jan-23-02, 08:18
I am a little disappointed. I got on the scale this morning and I did not lose anything this week. I kept my carbs down, drank tons of water, did not eat much salt. I started exercising so I hope that is the reason.

I did however lose 1" overall since 1/9/01. My clothes are a little looser, but I was hoping for more weight loss. I am using Fitday.com and it looks like I am ok. I will write in my journal again. Maybe someone has another idea. I am going to buy a digital scale today. I think my old - 7 years, is just too old!

Gilta

Shirlfe
Wed, Jan-23-02, 08:30
You may be losing inches, instead of weight now. I know it get's frustrating. Shirley :wave:

sunshine2
Wed, Jan-23-02, 08:48
Gilta:

Do not be too disappointed, this same thing happened to me, I was not loosing for three weeks, no movement on the scale, but I lost 6 1/2", then this week I lost 1 1/2 pounds (FINALLY). Sometimes I think when we start exercising our body will lose inches before it will shed some of the weight.

I also bought digital scales so I can see an accurate reading, even if its just 1/2 pound loss I want to know.

Don't give up, your doing great.

Cher
Wed, Jan-23-02, 11:47
Shirl... Glad you're back on track...doesn't it feel good when we know we're taking care of ourselves and our bodies :-)
I think trying some of the recipes is a great idea...otherwise...it's so easy to get bored. I must say that when I added the Artichoke and spinach dip to my food....wow...that got me through some difficult times. Does have cream cheese and other cheeses in it...but, it was really good! I just don't have it all the time. It sounds like you're doing well...good for U!
Ahhh to be in the 170's again...that would be really, really nice!

Gilta... the exercise effects the scale...so, get prepared. I noticed that big time. However, the inches go down much quicker and you fit into smaller clothes much quicker...so, it's worth it....don't despair. Speaking of that...Congratulations
on your 1" loss since 1/9/01. The fact that your clothes are looser says a lot more than the scale!!!!!

Sunshine2...I'm still amazed at your 6.5 inches lost...that's totally awesome! I wasn't real great at exercising the last 3 weeks (only exercised 2 times a week) and I'm paying the price. The inches lost this month were nominal. However, I do know that it will get better as I resume my 4 - 6 time a week workout schedule. In fact, the scale may have gone down a little quicker because I wasn't working out as much (yikes)...oh well, I'll deal with whatever the results are. I am just really happy that I can wear a size 12 jeans again. They are a little tight...but, wow! at my weight, I wouldn't have expected them to fit at all. It's got to be the result of 3 months of weight training 4 - 6 times a week...that stuff is really powerful. So, here's my commitment, I've already done my lower body workout today, and I'm committing to exercise at least 2 more times this week for a total of 4 workouts.

Everyone have a nice day. And thanks for being on the bb...you gals are an inspiration for me

Gilta
Wed, Jan-23-02, 14:12
Thanks for everyone's support. I really appreciate it. I guess I will have to take it all in stride. As long as I continue to lose something, I will be ok.

Cher, I can't imagine being in a size 12 anytime too soon. I am vertically challanged at 5'2" so I spread out a little more! My goal is to be a size 12 by July. I am a size 16w right now....

Thanks again and I am heading to the gym after work.

Gilta

Gilta
Thu, Jan-24-02, 08:29
Ok, I need all of your advice. I went and bought a digital scale. It shows I weigh more than the scale I started with by about 3 lbs. Should I just bite the bullet and up my profile or should I wait until I match the weight the other scale is saying/??

Help!

sunshine2
Thu, Jan-24-02, 08:36
Gilta:

the choice is yours, I will tell you what I did, I bought my new digital scales, and of course they were different than the scales I was weighing on at the gym, so I just changed to what my scales said and started weighing on them in the morning, without clothes (saves a few pounds this way). And yes, I had to "up" my profile, but guess what, I got to celebrate my loss all over again. ;)

But if you don't want to change your profile, just leave it as is and you'll get there, or you can change your profile, and we'll celebrate your loss with you when you have to change it back down.

It really doesn't matter, whatever you want to do.

donnaj
Thu, Jan-24-02, 11:41
How are my buddies doing? I haven't been on line until today and glad to see that everyone is doing great.

:cheer: Sunshine WOW 6 1/2 inches that is great. Keep up the great work. I need to measure myself and start looking at inches instead of weight. I am keeping the same weight but my clothes are getting looser. I have a beautiful Easter dress a size 12 and working hard to get in it.

:cheer: Wow! and 1 inch all over that is great. I also bought a new scale and it was the same as my doctor and my old one hit the dust about a year ago and I just didn't want to see how big I got. Now I only get on it once a week because I hate to see the scale goes up and down .

:cheer: Cher, Wow! a size 12 that is wonderful. You have inspire me to get started exercising every day. I walk a mile but now I will start and exercise regiment. Thanks!!!!!

Well I go for now everyone have a great day. :wave:

Gilta
Fri, Jan-25-02, 08:03
I have promised myself I will not get on the scale until next Wed. That way I can be surprised, hopefully, with a weight loss.

I wish I could get into a size 12! Unfortunately not for a while. My goal is a 12 by July. I think I should be able to make it.

Do you guys have any specific goals you are working towards besides how much you weigh? Donna, I know you are working towards a 12 for your easter dress. Anyone else?

How is the valentine's day goal going? I still have 6 more to go....

Gilta

sunshine2
Fri, Jan-25-02, 09:25
my goal was to loose 10 pounds by Valentines day, I started out at 196, as of last Monday I weighed 194, so I still have 8 pounds to go. :( But it ain't over yet........The first week I started, I only saw a 1/2 pound loss, but then last week I saw a 1.5 pound loss, so things are starting to happen, and I will know more on Monday. I'm tweaking my menu around to find out what works best. I do have a goal to get in a 12 by this summer as well, right now I'm in a 14, and sometimes 16, but mostly 14. Today wearing a pair of jeans that are 14 and they fit great.

If I don't lose 10 pound by Valentines day, I should be close, and I will make the 10 pounds by the end of February or by the beginning of March. So I'm not going to get too upset over it, at least I'm making some progress. :D

Marlaine
Fri, Jan-25-02, 10:41
Hey.....

Looks like everyone is doing GREAT!! And that is so good to see!

Because I'm just completing my second week of BFL, it's hard for me to set a weight goal. I don't know yet the effects muscle building will have on my loss...so.....my goal is pretty simple. It's to complete the 12 weeks of BFL and see where that takes me! I've also discovered that it doesn't pay me to set weight loss goals since my body is going to do what it's going to do. I'll just keep on keeping on with following Atkins and I KNOW that eventually, I'll get there! That's good enough for me.

Marlaine

donnaj
Sat, Jan-26-02, 07:48
Gilta, my goal is to get down half way by my birthday in July.
But, I am like Marlianne I am starting a workout program and I have no idea how it is going to affect my lost. So, my new goal is just to feel great and be happy with myself for finally getting healthy. :wave:

Cher
Sun, Jan-27-02, 14:41
Hi everyone, I'm so glad that I'm able to come to this site and that there are people that I can share my challenges and successes with. It's a lot easier when you don't have to do this alone!

donnaj...my birthday is july 8th... when is yours? Wouldn't it be funny if we were on the same day :-) That's great that you're walking a mile a day...that's pretty impressive! I wish I could get into that habit. I know per the Nike saying "Just Do It"...but, wow it hard to start. I do know that weight training is more effective when you do cardio exercises...so, I need to work on that.

Marlaine...I'm also doing weight training...and it seems to make it difficult to see the progress on the scale...but, it's definitely visable in terms of the inches. I just hope it get's rid of the flab :daze:

Sunshine2...don't worry we will make it! we still have almost a month before Valentine's day...and you're right, if we don't make it by then, we'll make it by February or March. But, I bet you we will look a lot smaller by Valentine's day
(YeY all of us)!

Gilta...I set measurement goals that I hope to achieve at the end of one year :-) I know that seems a long ways away but, I'm working with Joyce Vedral's weight training program...and I started at an easy...slow pace...it gets harder every 3 months. She's says that after one year you'll have an entirely new body...so, we'll see what happens. The last few weeks have been tough with the fibromyalgia...but, I'm still committed to seeing this through. P.S., the only reason I probably fit into a size 12 is the combo of the weight training plus I'm 5' 8 1/2 (tall girl here...smile)

Gilta
Tue, Jan-29-02, 07:22
Tomorrow is weigh in and I am a little nervous. I decided to take sunshine's advice and to just start using the new scale. I will keep using that through out. I know my actual weight will be higher, but hopefully I lost!

Anyone else weighing in tomorrow?

Gilta

sunshine2
Tue, Jan-29-02, 10:07
Well, actually my weigh in date are on Mondays, but because of my carb attack this weekend, I chose not to weigh in yesterday, I knew I would be too disappointed with the scales, and just couldn't face that disappointment. But I started back on the induction yesterday, and I finally got on the scales this morning, and I'm up 1/2 pound, scales read 194.5.

I am going to weigh in again on Thursday and see what I've actually lost for the month, and I'm also going to measure again.

I was hoping to be out of the 190's by this month, but again, I'm still here. I looked on my log, and I reached 199 in September of 2001. Geeze how long is it going to take me to reach 189? I do have to admit, that I have had some obstacles from September thru December that played some part in me not losing, a 7 day cruise in September, Thanksgiving, Xmas, Anniversary, etc. So I can't say I've been faithful to my WOE since September, so I only have myself to blame for the sloooooow weight loss. But, its a new year, no holidays to deal with, and summer is around the corner (and my trip to Acapulco in 45 days ;) ) So, I'm thinking, next month could be the month I reach the 180's.........yippie.

Cher
Tue, Jan-29-02, 12:47
Gilta...Hope weight in turns out well today! Don't worry, all of us know that you changed scales...don't worry about that number. How are your clothes fitting? How is your WOE (way of eating) going...and the exercise? The three pounds difference in the scale will owrk itself out (I have a lot of faith...lol).
BTW, my weigh in was yesterday...and, I'm down one more pound. So, now I'm where you were (186) yesterday...and I'm so excited!

Sunshine2...OK...I blew it one day last week...not so bad, but something I would have preferred not eating...and then I went right back on induction for three days and drank a lot of water. Now, I'm back to my OWL. I was hoping that I would get through january without doing that...but, oh well...I figure at least I didn't use that as an excuse to "Pig out"! Anyway, I feel a lot better now. It's done and over with and I got right back on program! So, I'm not allowing myself the guilt that normally causes me to overeat :-) The trip to acapulco sounds wonderful...how nice...that should be a great reward for all your success! Don't worry you'll be in the 180's soon :-)

donnaj and Marlaine...how are you two doing? I'm getting ready to do my upper body weight training...it's about 45 minutes long and it's been really difficult lately because of the fibromyalgia...but, I'm determined to get through this:-)

Have a great day everyone

Marlaine
Tue, Jan-29-02, 15:57
WoW Cher...

I just noticed some things we have in common. We have the same starting weight and goal weight is just 5 pounds different. You started mid August and I started mid September. You are 10 pounds 'ahead' of me and it seems that we lose at a pretty similiar rate.

You are taller than me and younger than me, but we both live on the west coast albeit different countries!

Do you keep a gym log? I'm just curious about the workouts you are doing. I keep thinking that mine can't be making big changes because I'm just never in pain or achey. Don't know if that's because I'm doing something right or doing something wrong?

GREAT!! that you feel ready to start with the upper body workout!

Marlaine

Cher
Tue, Jan-29-02, 18:12
Wow Marlaine...I didn't think about all of that...but, that's probably why it's so nice to be in the countdown threads...we can relate to each other so well because we have so much in common. Actually I would love to have your goal of 140...I just don't think my body will ever get to that again...lol. But, who knows what will happen once I reach that goal of 145.

I started a gym log but didn't keep it up...but, it's really a good ideal. I keep a calendar and write in all the days I work out - that's been really insightful! I'm not familiar with BFL...but, I've heard many people say that it's really good. I use one of Joyce Vedral's weight training books called "Weight Training Made Easier". It gives me a one year plan but, get's harder every three months. I worked out 4 - 6 days a week for three months...but, the month of January has been a lot tougher. It's probably because I went to the next level in December (I may not be ready for it yet). Anyway, for the first three months the results were incredible! (Note: I actually started measuring after the first month) but, I lost 5 1/2 inches off the waist ...with only a 3 or 4 pound weight loss. However, this month I didn't do that well! So, there was a direct correlation between the number of workouts in January and the inches lost. Now... I'm trying really hard to get back to the 4 - 6 workouts a week (fingers crossed). How long have you been working the BFL program?

donnaj
Tue, Jan-29-02, 19:49
Well, I thought with all the exercise I did today that I would lose at least a lb but I am staying the same :o but I have not cheated but wanted to ;) I did not drink my water today but drank enough coffee to float a battleship. But my husband and I got three sheet of paneling up in the bedroom and dismantled the bed and now I am exhausted. Tomorrow, I have made myself a promise that it will be back to water. I can tell a bed difference.
Sunshine2 , I know you will lose before that wonderful trip. I have confindence in you.
Well ladies good night and god bless. :wave:

Gilta
Wed, Jan-30-02, 06:35
I lost another pound. I am not changing my weight until my "new" scale reaches 186. I am very glad. I lost about 1 1/4 inches in the last 3 wks. That helps out a lot.

Of course, now I am sick. I have a sore throat and I just don't feel like any water. I am drinking a little juice to help. I don't have any locarb stuff in the house that I can eat either. this stinks...

Gilta

sunshine2
Wed, Jan-30-02, 08:21
Gilta, hope you feel better soon....that crud is sure going around, I have the sniffles myself today, hoping this is not a sign that a bad cold is around the corner. :(

But, on a happy note, weighed this morning, just couldn't resist the scales, but they were good to me. The whoosh fairy must have known how down I've been so she paid me a visit, down from 194.5 yesterday to 193. Getting closer to 189 :D Will exercise tonight, maybe that will help me shed another 1/2 or so, also, tomorrow is my official weigh in day at the place I workout. They will weigh and measure me to let me know what I've done for the entire month of January.

Donna: Don't wory about the scales, remember, I didn't loose anything for three weeks, but saw a 6 1/2" loss in my measurements. Your body is just adjusting, but you will begin losing, so hang in there!

Cher
Wed, Jan-30-02, 11:53
((((((((Gilta))))))))))
Congratulations on your weight loss and the inches lost. That is awesome!
Please feel better soon!

(((((((((Sunshine))))))))))
Wow! You're getting so skinny :-) So, the Whoosh fairy does listen....Yea for Sunshine and Gilta...thank you Whoosh Fairy! I can't wait for your gym results...I have a feeling that you're going to be sooooooo happy

((((((((((Donnaj))))))))))))
I know that all you're hard work has benefitted your body....I bet you'll see it in your clothes and the scale really soon! Drink that water...it helps!

((((((((((Marlaine)))))))))))
I worked my upper body yesterday (Yea...I went through the pain), I'm going to work my lower body today and try to work on my gym log! Thanks for that reminder :-)

Thanks everyone for being here, participating in the 190 countdown and for your daily words of encouragement! What happens when we're all in the 180's... do we start a 180's club (LoL)! Whoosh fairy...help us for summer

donnaj
Wed, Jan-30-02, 13:49
You are doing great. I have just a few minute between the rain shower to type. We are still working on the bedrooms. Oh my god, My body has muscles that I didn't know exist. I am drinking my water and have only ate a chicken leg for breakfast. Well I am proud of everyone and I hope that fairy will visit us all more oftern.
Sore and tired but loving it. :wave:

Marlaine
Wed, Jan-30-02, 16:37
Donna, Sunshine, Cher and Gilta....

I feel like I'm going 100 miles an hour today. It's a busy busy day for me and I started by getting up at 6:30AM to go to the gym. That hour is definately the high point of my day!! I really need to get a life. :daze:

Eating has been a bit of a challenge the last few days, with having had that dental surgery. I took me an hour last night to eat 8 chicken drumettes! I'm finding that it takes me so long to eat that I no sooner finish one thing than it's time to eat again as I'm doing 6 small meals a day. I really like eating this way. I think this is a way to accelerate weight loss because the body has a constant flow of food to process so it boosts metabolism. I see it like a furnace. I like to keep mine 'running' for as many hours a day as I can.

Anyway, I'm soon off to work for the evening.

Hope you all had a super SUCCESSful Day!!

Marlaine

donnaj
Thu, Jan-31-02, 09:24
Marlaine, I know the feeling about mouth. I had to have all my pulled because of mouth cancer but I remember the pain. You are doing so good with your exercise program. I quess I am getting my by lifting two by four and nailing. I am getting a whole body workout right now and I am feeling it. Well girl, back to work.
I am emailing while we are on break. :wave:

sunshine2
Thu, Jan-31-02, 09:37
Wanted to share some exciting stuff this morning, the whoosh fairy has come again, I'm not sure whats going on, but she has taken another 2 1/2 pounds, I was able to change my stats this morning from 193 to 190.5. Oh, this is the lowest I've been since 198 and I wasn't there for very long. But this time, I'm planning on reaching my goal!

Marlaine - great job on the commitment and exercise, I know it will pay off (it is paying off). Hopefully you'll be back into the groove of things shortly after your oral surgery. I know first hand about that kind of stuff too. ouch.

Well, everyone, keep up your hard work and your determination, I'm living proof after 4 months, things can happen. :D

Cher
Thu, Jan-31-02, 10:38
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: YaY Sunshine2...2.5 more pounds (woo hoo) Way to Go and congratulations....your weight is just dropping like crazy...it catching up to all those inches that you lost...that is so cool! Thank you Whoosh Fairy for being so good to Sunshine. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Donnaj...how are those bedrooms coming along...now you have me inspired to do some painting and stuff :-) Wow! Mouth cancer...did everything go Ok when they removed it? and are you OK now?

Marlaine...you're just doing so awesome. I think that 100 miles an hour translates into "whoosh Fairy" time...really soon! Getting up at 6:30 to go to the gym...now, that's commitment! Way to go! I hope that you're feeling better from that dental surgery (I agree with sunshine...ouch). I also eat 4 -5 smaller meals a day (isn't that funny). I like the concept of fueling the body every 3 - 4 hours (hopefully the fat will melt away quicker...LoL).

Gilta...hope you're feeling better. Did that sore throat go away yet?

Gilta
Thu, Jan-31-02, 14:14
Well. I am in for a while because of the weather! It is really nasty here. We got 5 inches snow and now we are freezing rain. THe ice is really getting thick.

I am feeling a little bit better. I have not felt like eating though. I don't think it is helping my weight loss at all though. It is so funny to think that way. I sort of wished for a cold because I used to lose weight since I was not eating much!

I think next week I will start up with the exercise. I just don't have the energy right now.

Great news for everyone losing! I agree, when can we make it a down to 180 club?

Gilta

donnaj
Thu, Jan-31-02, 17:43
Hello ladies,
Well got the door in and the stud in the wall. Wow, I am tired. Still have to finish laundry and dishes. Tomorrow we are going to finish paneling the end wall where we put the door. Then come cleaning. I hope that woosh fairy well visit this weekend.

Sunshine2 :D Wow 2 1/2 lbs that is wonderful. Can you send her my way.

Marlaine, I hope you are feeling better. You are an inspiration on exercise. Way to go girl!!!!!!! :cool:

Gilta, Please don't send that snow this way. We broke are record today. It was 78 but by tomorrow back to winter. No wonder everyone is getting cold. By the way I hope your is better.

donnaj
Thu, Jan-31-02, 17:49
Sorry about no mention you in my last thread. I am so tired I am not seeing everything. I am glad your day went well. We are still at remodeling but it is coming along great. I still can't believe I can do this type of work. My exercise is just getting through the day but after we finish I will start working out again. You know I wish I had measured before starting oh well. I am getting allot of exercise. Well have a great day.

P.S. Yes, the cancer was just in the beginning cells and after removing my teeth I now have to check for gray matter every week but I feel fine. Thanks for asking. :wave:

donnaj
Fri, Feb-01-02, 19:35
Well ladies the bedroom looks great. All we have to do now is do the ceiling and by a new fan. I am wore out but I can sleep in my bed tonight.

Thank you whoosh fairy :lol: to those that send it my way.

Well ladies it is off to bed for me hope everyone has a great night and a wonderful day tomorrow. :wave:

Cher
Mon, Feb-04-02, 12:15
Hi donnaj, marlaine, sunshine and gilta...

How is everyone doing? It's been a quiet weekend for me ...really bad headaches and fibro :help: just kidding...I'll be OK. My weight went down but after a bad weekend where I've taken medication...I never trust the scale...so, we'll just see what happens.

donnaj...congratulations on finishing the bedrooms :clap: that must be exciting!

Marlaine...thanks for your message under cher's journal...I really appreciate your checking on me. Did you get a chance to rest for the weekend?

Sunshine and Gilta... how are you gals doing? Hope that you're feeling good and hope that the whoosh fairy visits everyone today

donnaj
Mon, Feb-04-02, 13:47
Cher,
I hate hearing that you had a bad weekend. I hope you are feeling better now. I am not feeling good :( I have a headache and my joints seems like they are on fire. I have been in bed almost all day. I have severe headache when the weather change and boy did winter return here. It is cold and the wind is blowing. But, I hope you are feeling better. I must start writing in my journal again. Well hope you feel better soon.
Donna

Gilta
Mon, Feb-04-02, 13:54
Sounds like everyone is getting my cold. My son ended up with it on Thursday, so I have been a little out of touch. I am still fighting this. I rested most of the weekend, but I feel like I have not lost much. I really need to get into an exercise routine. My new club does not open until April!

I have a nortic track, but I am so tired when I get home. I know you all understand. I think winter is getting to me. I have great goals, but I just can't make it.

I tried a few of atkin's recipes. I am finding the meat to be tough even with marinating it overnight. I have been researching some recipes and came up with one of my own. My mom was famous for her onion soup. I found a bread, with low carbs. It is Monks whole wheat. It has 9 carbs and I cut off the outside so it would fit a bowl, so I figure 7.5. I used soy flour instead of regular flour. I used the beef stock without carbs. It was pretty good.

Sorry to vent, I am just plain tired... It is that TOM so I am sure my weight will go up!

Gilta

donnaj
Mon, Feb-04-02, 19:28
Gilta,
I hope your family well be better soon from this cold. I am also tired of winter and it came back with a vengence today here in West Virginia. It is cold. I used to gain up to 15 lbs. when TOM came around so I am sure you will see a big change when it leaves. Here wishing for a early spring. :wave:

Cher
Mon, Feb-04-02, 22:29
Gilta... Hope you and your son feel better soon! The whole wheat bread sounds good...does it trigger a binge at all. I'm still not sure how I react to wheat...but, 9 grams sounds pretty good. Did you find that at a health food store? That onion soup recipe sounds really good. I'll have to try that...winter months and onion soup go together really well (yumm).

DonnaJ...Sorry to hear that your feeling bad too. I know that feeling where your joints feel like they're on fire...why does that combine with the headache...it's bad enough to just have one...LoL. I went to the doctor today cause I just couldn't stand the pain and he gave me an IV....and...I feel better
:yay: the thing is... I just got 2 pounds of saline solution and he added Vitamin C (which seems to help my blackouts)...and who knows if that has carbs. But, here's the thing...I'm not weighing again until next Monday, so whatever happens is OK. I had a good weigh in this morning and hopefully
next week will be OK...but, I may pay a price for this treatment. Oh well, I've been good...so, I refuse to be hard on myself! Hope everyone else is doing well!

Gilta
Tue, Feb-05-02, 07:26
Thanks for everyone's support. I feel better now.

Cher - Don't worry about the carbs from the vitamin C. You needed it. You can always get the weight off next week.

DonnaJ - Are you feeling better?

Sunshine - Where have you been lately?

Marlaine - How about you?

I just found out I can use another gym until mine opens, so I am setting up a meeting Thursday afternoon to set up a program. I hope this helps. I am losing about 1.1 lbs/week and I really want to do at least 2. I am hoping the exercise will help.

Gilta

sunshine2
Tue, Feb-05-02, 12:20
Hello all, Left work Friday with no voice and a tight chest, was in bed all weekend, finally Monday morning I knew it was time to go see my doc. diagnosis, "your sick", I wanted to say, that was worth $60 &*&%%&(*, anyhow, he did perscribe me some medication, and cough syrup, and I have a strong feeling it is loaded with SUGAR, because I had some major cravings last night, had 4 carbolite bars, which I have been trying to avoid, but I needed some chocolate. - sure sign that something in the medication triggered this attack. Trying to take the cough syrup as little as possible, mainly in the evenings before bed so I can sleep.

The bad thing, the scales were up this morning to 194.5, from 190.5 :eek: , but I'm going to blame it on the medicine and not worrying about it too much.

I feel better today, but still a little weak, so headed back to bed.

Night Night all.

Cher
Tue, Feb-05-02, 20:17
Sunshine...just worte you a message in the Bikini club! Hope you're feeling better...get a good nights sleep and feel better in the morning. I'm so proud of your progress...you're doing so well :clap: Way To Go!

Gilta...I'm glad you found another gym that you can go to temporarily! That's very cool. Let us know how you like it! I decided that I just will not weight until next Monday...I'll give myself a break with the IV...it has helped, so I feel really good about that. Hopefully it didn't do too much damage...but, just the 2 pounds of saline solution (which I can feel in my tummy)...must have added a couple of pounds alone. Keep up the good work with the exercise!

Marlaine and donnaJ...how are you two doing? Hope that everything is going well. Also, Marlaine hows the BFL coming along? DonnaJ are you feeling any better?

donnaj
Wed, Feb-06-02, 10:10
Cher, I am feeling a whole lot bitter. Thanks Are you doing okay?
Don't worry about the saline solution and Vit. C. It will come off again soon. I have a friend that has it and she has the same problems with weight gain and she said that after a couple a days it starts to come off. Hang in there.

Sunshine2 I hope you well feel better soon. I know what you mean the doctor put me on medication and now I am up to 175. I gained 4 lbs. But, I am like you I am not going to let it bother me because I know I will lose it soon.

Gilta, Are you feeling better? I am glad you found a new gym to go to and that is wonderful that you are losing 1.5 a week. That is wonderful.

Marlaine, how are you doing?

Well doing laundry and chaning bed so I email later.
Donna :wave:

Marlaine
Wed, Feb-06-02, 17:24
I wanted to drop in and say hi to everyone. This is a busy week and I'm finding that I don't have a lot of time to post in the forum. Next week will be even busier because I'm working a lot more hours. Maybe I need to accept that THIS is my life!! :daze:

I'm keeping up just fine with BFL because I've made it a priority. It's the only way to start the day. I just get up earlier if I have other things planned.

Still recovering from that dentist appointment a week ago and had another today. Yet another next week and again the following. I'm trying to get all of this done and over with!! I hope I can still talk once I have my new mouth!

Take care everyone and keep on keeping on with the LCing!

Marlaine

sunshine2
Thu, Feb-07-02, 08:20
Hello All -

I'm back to my old self again (except my weight) still up a little. Exercised last night, had a hard time with it since I haven't exercised in a week, but hopefully will be with the groove again by next week.

Marlaine, your on a roll! I do believe in order to complete the BFL challenge, you have to make it a priority. In Bill Phillips book, he states that things will come up, it never fails, something bad will happen to test you. When I was doing it, I was in week 4 and I tore my legiments in my knees and strained some muscles in my sholders, I couldn't even pick my purse up. Of course I had to go to therapy and had to quit my weight training for a bit, and I should have jumped right back into it when I healed, but by the time they healed I was lazy again.

I was planning on trying to start it again with my husband this year, but the problem I'm having is fitting the exercise into the morning. But, I'm still contimplating joing a 24 hour gym by my house. (trying to fit it into my budget)

Hope everyone is doing okay. Have a Happy Low Carbing Day!

Cher
Thu, Feb-07-02, 22:54
Donnaj...I'm feeling so much better since that Vitamin C IV...so, I guess whatever price I might have to pay will be worth it...But, it was really hard for a couple of days. I was craving everything. I'm so glad that I get to come to these boards because it helps me through the tough times. i still haven't weighed...to chicken...plus I'm trying to weigh only on Mondays...so, I just hope that it's back to normal at that time.

Marlaine...you are so busy! But, that's a really good thing...just don't forget about us cause we think about you often :) You reminded me that i have to go to the dentist...and OUCH... that doesn't seem appealing right now...but, I'm a big girl...so, I'll show up! Hope your dental pain ends soon!

Sunshine...you are so brave to weight after having that medication...good for you...I just can't look till Monday :) I did however, go back to induction for 3 days just in case. Actually my stomach has felt bloated ever since the IV...so, once that goes down...I'll feel much better :roll: How's all your exercising going?

Marlaine
Fri, Feb-08-02, 00:59
Hey everyone!!

Okay.....It's late and I really should be in bed, but I'm going to go for it and write some stuff here. Last night I woke up at 3AM and didn't get back to sleep until about 5AM. It made it tough to get up at 6:30...but...I did. It really doesn't matter what else is going on in my life, BFL is like a sanity break...a lifeline. It's something that I do for myself. Nobody else could do this for me. It's an investment that I make in myself. I know that there are going to be a multitude of dividends from this investment. I'm worth it.

The mouth is definately improving. I'm just about ready to try steak again. It may take me some time to get it down, but I'm really missing beef. I didn't think I'd ever hear me say that. I don't work again until next Tuesday but I'm going to need to spend much of the weekend studying. Mid-term is about a week away.

Thank you, thank you, Cher, Sunshine, Donna, and Gilta for asking about me and for all of the kind words. They mean a lot to me and really perk me up when I find them!

Marlaine

Gilta
Fri, Feb-08-02, 09:59
Hi all,

Not a good week, but with TOM I know you know why! I am up 2 lbs and very frustrated, but oh well.

Marlaine - get some sleep... You don't need to get sick!

Cher - how are you feeling? Still craving?

Sunshine - Have you started to exercise. I just have not felt like it at all. TOM has really put a number on me. I am just too tired.

DonnaJ - Are you back to par?

Have a great weekend everyone!

Gilta

sunshine2
Fri, Feb-08-02, 10:10
Hey Gilta, 2 lbs huh, thats not bad considering TOM. I usually put on around 4 and have gone up to 8 before. So don't worry about it, just drink up on your water and flush it out.

Yes, back to my exercising routine, will be going tonight, Have been exercising about 3 - 4 times a week, but trying to do around 5-6. I just feel better when I do.

Got up this morning, and the scales were back to the 190.5 mark, yesterday they were 194.5, then Wednesday 193.5, Tuesday 194.5. So I was happy to see they listened to me yesterday when I told them "give me back my 190.5 or I'll tear out your freaken batteries". I think I scared 'em. Anyhow, it worked. ;)

So, cross your fingers, I'm hoping the whoosh fairy visits this weekend to put me below the 190 mark. I'm really really hoping.

Everyone, have a great weekend.

PS Marlaine - how was the steak? Did the mouth handle it okay? And Study study study, school is your buddy. (thats what I tell my kids). Good-luck on your test, I know they are a killer. I'm thinking about going back to get my Masters, but the thought of "mid-term" kills me.

donnaj
Fri, Feb-08-02, 18:14
How is everyone this evening? I am okay except I feel real light headed. Took my blood pressure and it was 107/80 and pulse 102 and then I thought it was my blood sugar but it is 102. Everything is okay except for my pulse. The only thing I can think is I cut back on eating allot of sodium. Well sorry about running my mouth.

Gilta, 2 lbs is not allot for TOM. I remember gaining 10 lbs almost every month. I am glad those days are gone. In a couple of days your be even skinnier.

Marliane, Oh, I miss school except for mid terms and finals, oh course. Hope you ace thems. What is your major?

Sunshine2, I hope the whoosh fairy comes and takes away more weight than expected.

Well ladies I am going to go lay down for awhile and see if this well go away. It might be the flu again. Oh, Lord please no.
Everyone have a great weekend.
:wave: Donna

Cher
Fri, Feb-08-02, 21:27
(((((Sunshine))))))) Way to go! That medicine is gone from your body and you're back to 190.5 (YAY Sunshine)! You're right...you may be under 190 on Monday...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Whoosh fairy visit's all of us!

Marlaine...glad to hear that your mouth is feeling better...I still haven't scheduled that dental appointment...guess I'd better stop running away and get that done. You have such a great attitude regarding BFL and your exercise routine...good for you! What are you studying in school?

Gilta... you did good with only 2 pounds during that TOM...my sister just called me (so upset) cause she went up 7 pounds. But, it went away within about 3 days. I'm glad when that TOM falls on a tuesday...that way, I don't have to weight till the next monday (LOL).

DonnaJ...hope you're feeling better... I'm just the opposite of everyone, if I don't add salt I have major blackouts. But, apparently my blood pressure drops really low and your's sounds perfect. Well, hope you figure that one out quick! Please feel better soon :daizy:

donnaj
Sat, Feb-09-02, 04:25
Cher,
Thanks for your concern. I have always had low blood pressure when I was at my normal weight. I even had low blodd pressure reading when I had the stroke. The doctor was amazed. I ate some salty pork rinds and the faintness went away thank God.
I have a feeling the lower my weight my normal blood pressure reading of 90/60 well soon appear again. So, I have a doctor appointment on Monday. I will tell him about it and he will probally drop my water pill. How have you been doing? Fine , I hope. I am sure lucky to find all these wonderful :angel: on this forum. With all of your support it really help me through the day.
Well I better get up and get started it is going to be one busy day. Well email later.

Marlaine
Sat, Feb-09-02, 17:18
Cher, Donna...

I'm taking a Developmental Psychology course toward my BA. I'm about half way there. I'm planning to go into coaching/counselling.

I posted my results from the first four weeks of BFL, in my journal. I'm very pleased with the progress and would recommend it to anyone. The beauty of it is that it accomodates everyone. No previous skills required. I also like the relatively minimal investment of time. It's wonderful to feel this good and to have it happen so easily!

I think when the time comes, we will have to start a new thread to accomodate our 180's.

:cheer:
Big CHEER for all of us because we are STILL here, keeping on!!

Marlaine

donnaj
Sun, Feb-10-02, 19:33
Calling all my low carb angels. I have been stalled and have try everything. I reread the book, I haven't cheated so why am I still not losing. Here is what I ate.
Breakfast: low carb shake 2 carb2fiber
Lunch: Salad made of 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce with 5 slices of cucumber, 1 radish, 4 cherry tomatoes. I made a dressing of 1 tbsp. of wine vinegar and 1 tsp. of oil and package of splenda.
Dinner : I had two hamburger, 1 cup of green beans and the rest of the salad that was let over at lunch.
Snack: 1 8oz of tuna, 1 tbsp. dill pickle(2 carbs) and ate the whole thing with pork rinds.
I have drinken 64 oz of water. 2 cups of coffee for breakfast.
I had one low carb mini bund cake(3 carbs). I will have an herbal tea before bed.
Ladies, am I just on a platue or am I eating too much or too little.
If anyone could help I would appreciate it.
Donna :(

Marlaine
Sun, Feb-10-02, 22:07
Originally posted by donnaj
Ladies, am I just on a platue or am I eating too much or too little.
If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Hi Donna....

A couple of things jump off the page at me.

Low carb imitations of high carb things like "low carb mini bund cake(3 carbs)" often are a cause of stalls. If the shake you are having is LC rather than a low carb Protein shake I'd quit it too.

This is the other: "8oz of tuna, 1 tbsp. dill pickle(2 carbs) and ate the whole thing with pork rinds. " SALTY!! Salty things can cause a stall.

I'm not certain about the quantity you are eating. Have you put it through Fitday.com to get totals for the day? That would be more revealing.

If I were you I'd clean up the food I eat, back to induction foods. I wouldn't be so concerned with keeping carbs under 20, but I would definately be cutting out anything that isn't allowed on induction. That alone should give you a boost.

Marlaine

donnaj
Mon, Feb-11-02, 02:02
Marlaine,
I was thinking about that last night after emailing the thread. It is strange that after you put your thought down they become more clearer. So, this morning, I am going back on induction and just eating induction food. No more process food, salty food and no more bund cakes. I have only ate one but the low carb shake is protein. I am even going to give it up.
So this morning:
I am going to have sausage and eggs
Lunch: 1/2 cup of tuna with hard boiled egg and 1 tbsp. of mayo on lettuce
Dinner: 2 hamburger steaks with 1 cup of green beans
I am going to uptake my water intake to 128 oz of water.

Marlaine, thanks you so much for your response. I was seriouly thinking about having a big mac attack with frys. But then I come to my senses and decided to email my friends and a special friend came to the rescue. Thanks agian.

I better get to bed, I have a doctor appointment early this morning.

Gilta
Mon, Feb-11-02, 07:03
Hope everyone had a good weekend. I have tried not to get on the scale until Friday. I hope the weight I gained from TOM is gone by then!

DonnaJ - Sounds like you have a good plan. I thought the same thing as Marlaine did. I am losing slowly, but increasing my water and lowering the salt is helping.

Marlaine - Did your mouth feel ok for a steak?? I don't think I could go back for another degree. I have my BS and I did it remotely so it took much longer.... yuck I hated those papers!

Sunshine - How are you doing this week? Are you back to your regular routine?

Char - How was weigh in this morning?

Gilta

Cher
Mon, Feb-11-02, 19:47
Well, this was a good weight in...182 pounds, down a total of 14 pounds for the Valentine's day challenge and 48 pounds total. It's funny though...I've felt sort of sad today...like I have so much more weight to lose....type of sad or maybe I should say impatient! I'm sure that I'll snap out of it quick, but, wow it's really hanging over my head right now. I tried on a dress this weekend that I haven't been able to wear for a long time and it fit...not even snug...sort of lose. Then I tried on another one thinking that it was about the same size and It's gonna take about 1 -2 more inches of weighloss (in all areas) before it fits. But, I looked at the size and it was an 8...so, there you go...that was pretty good considering the size...LOL

Gilta...I don't blame you for waiting till Friday to weight...why put yourself through that "temporary TOM" weigh in!

Marlaine...Developmental Psychology sounds good! Congratulations on being half way through your BA...and you have so much energy (That's pretty cool)!
Obviously, BFL is really helping! We will need to start a new thread soon...isn't that cool :)

DonnaJ...I'm with Marlaine regarding the stall. The things that jumped out to me were coffee (since Dr. Atkins talks about that in the book...unless it's decaf). The low carb shakes and mini bund cakes...they seem to stall a lot of people....and the salt issue was a good one...darn, we still have to watch that temporary salt weight gain (unfortunately, I have to add salt to keep me from blacking out...but, I will gain if I have a lot). Otherwise, it sounds like you're doing great. It's funny, when I went through an 8 - 10 week stall, I added 5 grams of carbs instead of going back through induction...it worked thank goodness. But then I stayed at induction for almost 3 months (Silly me...I didn't think I would lose if I went above 20 grms a day...now, I'm at 40 grams of carbos a day).

Sunshine... :daizy: how are you doing? That Acapulco trip is getting closer and closer...do you feel ready for your cruise?

donnaj
Tue, Feb-12-02, 09:48
Cher, I know what you mean about being impatient but isn't it wonderful that we can try on clothes that fit again. You have done so wonderful on losing. I went to the doctor yestersday and my blood work came back. Everything is normal except for cholestrol and he upped my liptor for a three month to see if that well lower and with this WOL he knows it will be normal in three month. I talked to him about my stall. I had gained to 175.5 and he said he was afraid to say stop using salt. I am like you I need iodine. So he said just watch the salt shaker. One thing he did say and I am celebrating :Party: I am now offically a non diabetic. My diabetes is now normal. Yea.....I love this WOL.
We talked over my menus and he said to stop eating any process food, no cheese, no low carb made food. He wants me start with proteins. Eat it for two days and record my intakes and foods and then weigh in everyday. Then on the third day, start adding one food a day and record the finding and wait two days and add another. Well, yestersday, I ate 6 sausage patties, 2 chicken breast and quess what the whoosh fairy came last night and when I weigh in this morning I am down to 172.5 :daze: So tomorrow I will add lettuce to my menu. My allergy test came back and it showed that I am allergic to sugar, flour, milk, chocolate and peanuts..... :eek: Well ladies, I will be back on this evening after I finish with house work. Hope everyone have a great day. :wave:

sunshine2
Tue, Feb-12-02, 10:23
Hey there. Well, I didn't weigh today and probably won't weigh until Valentines day, since I challenged myself to 10 pounds by Valentines day, will go ahead and weigh to see what I've done. I don't think I will hit the 10 pound challenge but I have made progress.

I am focussed now on not worrying about my weight and being so compulsive with the scales. When my body is ready to shed some weight it will. It has too. I find myself so depressed over what the scales say, that its just not healthy for me. So, I'll weigh only when I really feel like I should, maybe once a month, or every couple of weeks. I am exercising at least 3x a week, usually 4 or 5. last week was only 3, this week it will 4.

My Acapulco trip is getting closer, I got my itenerary this morning with my flight schedule and it really got me pumped up.

Cher - Congratulations is in order for you, BIG TIME. 14 pounds is nothing to be sad about, that is a very very successful month for you. Focus on how far you have come, not how far you have to go. You have come a long way baby.

Donna - That is so great, we can see the importance of this WOE health wise, it cured a very dangerous situation for you. Diabetic is nothing to play around with, but now, you are cured!!!! That is great!

Oh one other thing, Marlaine - your 4 week results were truly inspiring, thanks for sharing and we are looking forward to your 12 week results. PS - I'm taking your advice on the fitday.com and will record my stuff in my journal probably on Thursday. I'll list my food for Tuesday and Wednesday complete with fitday.com results.

donnaj
Tue, Feb-12-02, 14:35
Sunshine and Marlaine, you both are really doing wonderful. You both are so inspiring. I didn't join the Valentine Day challenge but I would like to challenge you and the ladies to a St. Patrick Day Challenge. I am going to try for 10 lbs. I would love to get into my new Easter Dress this year.

Sunshine, I bet you can wait for your trip. I know you will enjoy it tremondously.

Well everyone, I have a chicken to cut up so everyone have a good evening.

Cher
Tue, Feb-12-02, 14:39
DonnaJ...no more diabetes....that's pretty incredible! I am so inspired by that! You should post that in the successes...because that's huge and a real testimony to the benefits of this WOE. Congratulations :cheer: Also, I'm extremely impressed with the way your doctor is working with you...he really sounds good and it sounds like he has a good understaning of the program. Although I just had my spinach artichoke dip (which I love) it wouldn't hurt me to go off the cheese with you for a few days. In fact, I think it's a great idea...So, I'll try and start that tomorrow...you're not
alone...WOW! I'm still really impressed by the diabetes info. WTG Donna :)

Sunshine...you and you're exercise commitment inspire me! The exercise is so much more important than being on the scale. I was working out 4 - 6 times a week in Oct, Nov and Dec. Then in January and February it moved to 2 - 3 times a week because of the pain. That's probably why the scale went down faster, I may have lost some of the muscle I was working so hard to gain. I'd much rather have the muscle because that helps to increase the metabolism....and, I'll look better when i finally lose all my weight! So, it's my goal to get back to 4 - 6 workout a week again....even if It increases the scale. I've only lost 1 inch in the waist since the beginning of Janaury and I did so much better in November and December.

Sorry about the complaining yesterday...I already feel better and feel so inspired by both of your success!

sunshine2
Tue, Feb-12-02, 14:49
Originally posted by donnaj
Sunshine and Marlaine, you both are really doing wonderful. You both are so inspiring. I didn't join the Valentine Day challenge but I would like to challenge you and the ladies to a St. Patrick Day Challenge. I am going to try for 10 lbs. I would love to get into my new Easter Dress this year.

Sunshine, I bet you can wait for your trip. I know you will enjoy it tremondously.

Donna: I would love to do your challenge, but I think I am going to lay off myself with the challenging part for awhile. I'm doing some experimenting with different menus so that will surely slow down my weight loss, or it could pick it up. But since the Feb. 14 day challenge, and I didn't reach it or I don't think I'm going to reaach it. I decided not to try and rush myself. I will accept the fact my body loses slower than most, and accept any weight loss it give me. I am trying not to focus on the scales. I find myself too depressed over it.

Yum, chicken huh? You'll have to share some of your recipes.

and yes, I am very excited for my trip, its in 31 days. :spin:

Gilta
Wed, Feb-13-02, 06:46
I joined late for this and also changed scales, so who knows if I reached it. I have lost 11 lbs since Jan 2 and I think that is ok. I am on the Spring time Challange right now, you should join us! I am really trying to get exercise in, but I just run out of time and energy.

I know that is a poor excuse, but it is true. I am hoping next week, I will be able to get into a routine. I am leaving for Jamaca 4/13/02. I am hoping to break the 180's by then! I am going to an all-inclusive so I won't have to worry about the cost and carbs! I told my husband I would allow myself the drinks with the umbrellas for the trip, I know there are tons of carbs, but I think I deserve it for 1 wk. There is a gym there so I will work out to burn them off. I have 8 wks to lose 6 lbs, so I think I can do it. I am hoping for 12, but I will take 6.

What i really need to do is to come up with a meal planner in advance. Is ther any sites that offer this?

thanks, Gilta

Cher
Fri, Feb-15-02, 00:10
Gilta...11 pounds since January 2nd is awesome! Congratulations. Where is the spring time challenge? Is it posted somewhere under that title. I'm not sure what i want to do right now...I'd like to set a goal for Easter, but, since it's only 6 weeks away...I'm thinking of something like 6 pounds by Easter. But, what i'd really like is to be down 20 - 25 pounds by the beginning of summer...wow! That would be great :dazzle:

Sunshine...I left you a message in the "bikini Babes" thread...hopefully, you'll have a chance to read it soon. But, be really proud of yourself...the fact that you've kept such an awesome workout schedule just enhances how you look. You must have lost a lot of inches...you will be so toned when you've reached goal! That's awesome :bhug:

DannaJ..I've told everyone about your succes with the diabetes. That is just so awesome...I'm still thinking about it :)

Marlaine...hope all is well. I know that you're constantly on the go. Just thinking about you and hoping that you're doing great! I keep saying that I need to find your journal...so, I'll have to go search for it. Also, I really liked the fact that you've shared your progress with so many on the success thread! I'm going to take your advise and post there also...just have to sit down for a second to write my history with this WOE.

Gilta
Fri, Feb-15-02, 12:03
Cher, the spring time challange is another thread under the countdown club. There are quite a few of us. I just keep track of what I am doing. So far, 1.5 lbs and 1.25 inches off. I am committed to getting this "mass" off before I go in April on vacation.

Have a great weekend everyone and I will chat with you later.

Gilta

Cher
Fri, Feb-15-02, 17:21
Gilta...thanks for that clarification. I definitely want to lose at lease another 20 pounds by the beginning of summer...so this challenge might keep me headed in the right direction :)

donnaj
Fri, Feb-15-02, 19:31
Hello ladies,
Just checking in with everyone. My husband was on the computer most of the day playing a game.

Cher and Gilta, I do would like to be a least down to 140 by summer. Then I would only have 20 lbs to lose.

I hope everyone had a great VD? I know I did.

Well have to go for now but well be back on soon.

Gilta
Mon, Feb-18-02, 07:33
It was really bad. I can't believe how bad I was. At least I exercised. It was so bad I refused to get on the scale this morning!

Sat.
2 1/2 glasses white wine
sliver of homemade chocolate cake with macadamia nuts
breaded chicken

Sun.
2 beers

And that is just the bad food I ate. I decided to go back on induction this week. Hopefully that will help take it off by Friday.

How did everyone else do this w/e? Is everyone healthy now?

Gilta

Shirlfe
Mon, Feb-18-02, 10:40
Hi, I have been fooling around with the different low carb plan's and I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to go strict Atkins, in order to get any weight off, at all!!!
I am back again!!!! This time for good.
I can do two week's of induction, I know I can!!!
I am aiming for 40 pds. in 4 month's. Shirl. :thup: :wave:

Gilta
Mon, Feb-18-02, 11:14
Shirl

Welcome back! I know we both can make it through induction again!

Gilta

Marlaine
Mon, Feb-18-02, 11:19
Hi there Gilta and Shirl,

There is a very interesting thread, posted by Karen, with information from Atkins newest book, regarding repeating Induction, here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34153

I think it's well worth reading.

Marlaine

Shirlfe
Mon, Feb-18-02, 12:28
I have a question. Can a person get to much potassium, if they take a supplement? I don't want to get cramp's. How much do I take? Thank's. Shirl :q: :wave:

Gilta
Tue, Feb-19-02, 08:01
Shirl - Sorry I don't know the answer, but did you try a search? I think I saw some threads on that.

Marlaine - I knew you would write that! I did read it and decided not to go fully back to induction, but to lower my amount of carbs. I have not been really losing anything, only about 1 lb/week. I know anything is good, but since I have so much to lose I thought I may be metabolic resistant. I am trying to keep my carbs under 15 until Friday. I promised I would not get on a scale either. I am hoping this helps with the resistance.

Gilta

Betsy
Tue, Feb-19-02, 22:42
Hi,

I just started my food plan and weighed in at 199.5 which got my attention fast. I chose to use the Carbo Addicts plan so I could have the one meal a day that would include my grains, calcium, etc. At this stage of my life I wanted something that would be a plan for life. I'm 52 and menopause is here. In just 4 days I've lost 3 lbs. and the bloat feeling is leaving me. Thank heaven! I eat 4 oz. protein only at breakfast, same for lunch, then have a balanced meal of my choice for dinner. For me this is something I can live with, but that's just my opinion. I know me, and I know I don't do well feeling deprived. This plan for me addresses that.

My goal is 145. I made a dessert last night of 1 sliced apple with 1/2 cup high grain cereal with nuts, stirred it up and baked for 30 minutes, added some cool whip on top. Filling, healthy and good!

donnaj
Wed, Feb-20-02, 03:25
Good morning ladies,

Marlaine, Thanks for opening my eyes. I have increased my carb level and am still losing losing. Thanks you.

Gilta and Shirl, I know both of you will make it. When I fall off the wagon so to speak, I just hop back on and not look back.

Welcome Betsy to the forumn. You have come to the right place for support and encouragement. I didn't start to gain weight(my highest was 215) when I started through menopause. I started at 35 . I am now just stoping the hot flashes. :D Good luck on your journey and welcome again.

Well ladies, have a wonderful low carb day.

Gilta
Thu, Feb-21-02, 06:43
I have been faithful and have not measured or weighed myself since Sunday. Since then, my calories have been between 1600-2000, carbs < 20, fat 60 - 70% and protein around 20-30%. I know my calories should be more like 19-2000, but I just could not eat anymore yesterday!

I am just not sure if I lost anything, but I feel really good that I made it through the week. I did not eat any nuts and was real limited on the bacon. I hope this pays off. I will let you know how I make out.

Shirl, how do you make out?

Marlaine - how's school this week? Are you out?

DonnaJ - If this doesn't work, I may try Marlaine's suggestion that helped you!

Betsy - Welcome. I don't know the program you are on, but I am more than happy to help/support anyway I can.

Cher - Where are you? On vacation?

Sunshine - You must be getting close now to the trip. I am going to Dominican Republic on 4/13. My goal is 15 lbs in 50 days or 7.1 wks. I think I can do it as long as I stay on track. That would be about 2 lbs/week. If this new strategy I have works, I should be able to.

Gilta
:cheer:

donnaj
Fri, Feb-22-02, 10:32
How is evryone this fine morning? I am doing great.

Marlaine, How is school? I realy am envious, I really miss school. If I had the money to go back for my masters. I would. Maybe one day my dream will come true. I could be the first every lo carb diet therapist. :D

Sunshine and Gilta, I know both of you are getting excited about your trips. You both well look marvelous by the time you go. Take plenty of pictures and share with us when you get back.

Well today is laundry for me so I better go and get it done.
Everyone have a wonderful lo carb day.

Cher
Fri, Feb-22-02, 23:24
Well, I've been out of it for a few days...once again that fibromyalgia hit real strong. I can almost handle that but, I seem to get it with really severe headaches (yuck). Anyway, I'm glad I'm back on the boards cause I really need some motivation here. So, how is everyone doing???

Gilta...I had a bad day too...glad I'm over that but weigh in still scares me. I think i'm getting it... that, this is more a way of life rather than a periodic stumble. However, I know that those little slip-ups cost us dearly. So, I'm trying to prepare myself (yikes).

Shirlfe...wow! gald to see you're back! Hope that everything is going well. 40 pounds in 4 months...wow! It would be awesome if I could do that...but, wow...I think the most my body will release is maybe 5 pounds per month (and that's if I don't cheat...LOL). But, I wish you the best :cheer:

Marlaine - I was going to try and write in your journal again but, I went down so fast this week. Just wanted to let you know how much I admire your persistence with the journal. Gosh, I seem to be able to put things in Fitday (well...actually, I couldn't do it that much this week). I just need to get in the habit of keeping that journal. It's a great tool...especially for accountability!

Betsy :wave: Hello and welcome to the group! I'm not familiar with the carbo addicts plan (I'm on Atkins). Does eating grains give you cravings for more carbohydrates or does it seem to curb the desire? I'm definite that I'm a carbo addict :) I'm really glad that the bloating feeling is leaving your body...it's that TOM for me and I feel so bloated :help:

DonnaJ...wow! you've been so good at checking in :) I miss school too. I was in the middle of my doctorate at Claremont when I got sick...that was such a bummer. But, I'm determined to finish one day. Can you really start menopause at 35???? Wow! I'm 46 and was hoping to still have a child...I know, my dr. thinks I'm crazy. But, I figure there are always miracles...LOL.

Sunshine...hope you're doing well. I need to visit the Bikini Babes thread to make sure you're OK. Your trip is so close...wish I was going somewhere exotic...now, that would be motivation for wearing that bikini.

Betsy
Sat, Feb-23-02, 11:46
Hi, yes I'm a carbo addict and I am able to control the cravings on the two meals of protein only (3-4 oz. portions each) then one meal of balanced foods containing carbos and all the other stuff. I eat a large green salad with raw veggies before eating my other items in the meal. The two protein only meals regulates my insulin and keeps the cravings away. What they call the reward meal where I can eat carbos seems to not notice the carbos so it doesn't trigger cravings as long as I finish that meal in one hour. I started on Sunday at 199.5 and this morning weighed in at 195. It works for me but I'm sure its not for everyone. Thanks for being here everyone.

Marlaine
Sat, Feb-23-02, 11:52
Hi everyone....

I wanted to say that I've really appreciated the support I've had from all of you in this thread! I am, however, going to have to stop coming here, simply because I'm so busy. I'm just referring to this thread in particular...I will continue to keep up to date with my journal. Please feel free to visit me there. I will peek in from time to time to see how all of you are doing.

Just keep on keeping on ladies! We all know that LC WORKS and each and everyone of us can be a success at it with persistance, patience and all of the amazing support and inspiration we get in the forum!

Marlaine

donnaj
Sat, Feb-23-02, 18:58
Cher, I am sorry you are feeling bad again. My girlfriend has it and she also suffers allot from it. About menopause, yes you can start it early if you had a hystermony. I had endromedrosis and it was very severe. The next day the hot flashes started. I swear it was worse than the surgery. I use to control my weight between 105-120 and then after the surgery it start to go up. So now I know I better get it under control before I hit 50 next year. I can't believe I will be 50. So my losing this weight and getting my health back in control is my early birthday present to myself.

Besty, that is wonderful that you can eat with adding a reward meal. I am glad you can lose but I have tried that it doesn't work that way with my metabolism. But I am proud of you losing 4 lbs. that is wonderful.

Marlaine, I hate to see you go but I understand with you in school. Spring break is coming up and then finals. I wish you all the luck in school. I know your make all A's. I will stop by your journel to see how you are doing.

Well ladies, a pleasant good evening and God bless.

USED2B140
Sun, Feb-24-02, 11:36
I too need to lose about 60 pounds and would love to talk to others that are in the same boat. Right now I'm at 198 and want to get to 140. It would really help if I could find others that need the same as i do. Let me know. :thup: :thup: :thup:

Cher
Sun, Feb-24-02, 22:11
donnaJ...It's strange how surgeries can affect our weight. I had a fibroid removed about 10 years ago and really struggled with my weight after the surgery. I think the body must respond to shock by "holding weight"...cause it really seems to be a stuggle to control after an operation. Sorry to hear about your girlfirend who also has fibromyalgia...I really hope the medical profession gets a handle on this soon. My uncle, who is a Pediatrician, also has fibromyalgia but seems to have his under control at this time (maybe I should see his Dr...LOL).

Betsy...thanks for the explanation of how you're working the "carbo Addicts" program. Congratulations on the 4 pounds...that's awesome :cheer:

USED2B140... :wave: hello and welcome to the bb. I'm not sure what weight I will be most comfortable at right now. But, I want to get down to about 145 - 149. So, I'm here and I'll be here for a while if you need a support system.

Marlaine...I'll drop by your journal...sorry to hear that you're leaving this thread - we enjoyed having you here :)

Gilta
Mon, Feb-25-02, 06:59
Well I am gone a few days and look what happen's! Glad to see everyone back in the swing of things.

I am sorry to see Marlaine go, but I understand.

Welcome USED2B140!

Cher, sorry to hear you are not feeling well again.

DonnaJ, I went through infertility for 3 years and gained 40lbs. Those meds do a number on your body. I got pregnant 3 times with it, but lost them all. I really wanted to lose weight to make myself feel better because it looks like I am not going to have another child.

Well guys, I really need your support here. You see my note to Donna. My way of trying to deal with this whole infertility is to lose weight fast. Well I am not. I have lost only 7 lbs since Jan. 2nd. I have exercised, kept on the Atkins plan and adjusted based on advice. It seems the more calories I eat, the more I gain. I have tried more carbs, less carbs, less cheese, less salt, more water and staying away from artificial sweetners. I am on Atkins, but I just don't think this works for me.

Gilta

USED2B140
Mon, Feb-25-02, 08:48
I have several questions, so here goes:
1. Is Splenda ok to have or is equal better?
2. Ham and cheese omelettes for breakfast?
3. After having cheated, is ketosis possible on the second day back? My keto strip was lite purple this morning.
4. Need a menu I can follow precisely for 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

I love this thread any help would be appreciated.

HUGS :)

USED2B140
Mon, Feb-25-02, 08:54
Since gaining all this weight from all my pregnancies (had many miscarriages) I feel like I don't fit in anywhere or in anything. I can sympathize with you all that are having fertility problems. I understand. It gets better. We have decided to adopt and Thank God we got our baby in December :) :) Now I'm trying to lose all the weight I gained. Funny, but I didn't eat much while pregnant. Maybe its mostly water ( 60 lbs. worth?) Good Luck, all.

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thup:

Cher
Mon, Feb-25-02, 11:27
It's amazing how much medications can effect the body. I'm up three pounds...and it's a combination of having 2 - 4oz glasses of dry white wine on Monday (which really didn't work for me...it made me very hungry), my TOM is ending today and taking the medication that caused a lot of this weight gain twice last week. I used to weight everyday so I knew exactly how everything was effecting me, but, now I've just been weighting once a week...so, I have to guess... which leads me to believe that I should go back to weighing everyday. It seems obsessive but I really need to know what causes these reactions.

Gilta... sorry to hear about your frustrations with the infertility treatments - I also have a friend who spent over 25,000 on infertility treatments with no success. I don't have any biological children (I have a stepson) and really want them too...so, I understand what you're going through. I was wondering what type of exercise you're doing...are you doing weight training or any type of exercise that could be causing you to build muscle? I know it's frustrating to hear, but, muscle weights more than fat, so, you could be gaining muscle (which is excellent), losing inches and the scale hasn't caught up yet. So, my next question's are... have you taken your measurement? How are your clothes fitting? Also, have you checked the ketosticks and are you still in Ketosis? It sounds like you're drinking the water and following the plan. Oh, yes, one other question... Do you use a lot of low carb products like the LC meal replacement bars, endulge chocolate bars, blueberry muffin mix?
My reason for asking is that there are hidden carbs in a lot of those products and they can cause huge stalls for a lot of people. Just wondering if you were including them in this WOE?

USED2B140... Splenda or Stevia are the preferred choices...equal is not. Ham and cheese omelettes are fine for Breakfast, lunch or dinner as long as you don't have candida (yeast in the body...if you have candida, cheese will make it difficult to lose weight). With the Ketosticks you can get false negatives (if they are expired or old) but, never false positives. So, if you're registering a lite purple you're back in Ketosis. By the way, you can go in and out of ketosis through out the day....so, you should try to check once a day and at the same time of day (Atkins mentions evening being the better time...but, once in a while people do better in the morning). About the sample menu, have you looked at any of the Atkins sample menus from his book? He has some great selections. Congratulations on your new baby - how wonderful :)

Hi Sunshine...hope everything is going well...are you out of town?

USED2B140
Mon, Feb-25-02, 19:07
Thanx, Cher for all the help. I was beginning to think no one would answer me. I pretty much had a good day today until dinner time. I had to cook the prerequisite rice and beans and had 1/2 cup of each :( This woe is tougher than I thought. :rolleyes: Tomorrow will be better since I will be out all day and will not have much time to eat, however my trusty water bottle will be with me at all times.

Cher
Mon, Feb-25-02, 22:04
Used2B140...sorry dinner was a little tough...it's funny how 1/2 cup of rice and 1/2 cup of beans used to be fine for me (I was mostly vegan at that time). Now, I'm afraid to try the rice...in fact, I haven't tried beans either...that would be really difficult for me too. But, like you said tomorrow is a new day and it will get better. I had a "less than perfect" time on Monday...but, I'm over the shock of it now...LOL. So, hang in there...we will do this and we'll be so excited by the time Christmas is here. Think of all the new outfits we'll be able to wear :roll:

Question regarding rice and beans...you mentioned it being a prerequisite...which low-carb program are you following? I'm following the Atkins plan.

Gilta
Tue, Feb-26-02, 08:02
Cher - I am only doing nortic track 15 minutes 3x/week, so I don't think that is causing the gain. I have not lost inches in over 2 wks either. I am simply at a stall.

What is the recommended salt intake? I know FDA says 2400mg, but what about Atkins? I am at 2800 and Marlaine said that may be causing it.

I also heard that Splenda was much better than Equal.

Chat w/ you later.
Gilta

Gilta
Tue, Feb-26-02, 08:06
Forgot to add that I don't use the LC bars really, maybe 1 per every other week.

Gilta

Cher
Tue, Feb-26-02, 09:44
Gilta... you may be simply going through that post induction stall that some people experience...it usually lasts about 3 weeks and then you start losing again. The salt intake can also be a factor...I have to add salt so that I don't blackout (I know, that's wierd) but my maximum salt intake is normally 2400.
Also I was wondering if you keep a journal with the foods that you eat during the day. I'll check the journals under Gilta...if you keep it under a different title...let me know. Sometimes little things can cause a stall (one of my stalls was caused from using canned whipped cream...so now I make my own whipped cream with splenda). Just some thoughts that you can ponder...but, remember this...I went through an 8 - 10 week stall...well I shouldn't really call it a stall cause I lost inches during that time. I'm still down 45 pounds, and, if I had given up... I'd probably be up 65 pounds...LOL.
So, hang in there and we'll figure this out :sunny:

USED2B140
Wed, Feb-27-02, 10:44
The prerequisite rice and beans every day is for my family - we are hispanic and it has always been a huge part of our food culture. My dh wouldn't eat anything else. And my rice and beans taste excellent if I do say so myself. LOLOLOLOL. Anyway, I have to stop because I'm making myself hungry. I too have been trying to follow Atkins but I'm sure you know how frustrating it is. It isn't the easiest plan to follow especially when you're always on the go. I often ask myself how it is that I can be so heavy yet I'm always running around, always busy. With a husband, two kids (one newborn) and work, it is amazing how I have a hard time losing even when I don't eat much and drink plenty of water since it is my preferred beverage. Go figure.

hugs,

donnaj
Thu, Feb-28-02, 13:44
Good afternoon,
My family is Irish,Scottish and German and the main food I grew up was potatoes in my different forms. I love potatoes . But I have found with Atkins I don't crave them anymore.

I started Atkins in Jan. and I weigh 192 and of this morning I am 168 lbs. You will found after awhile that it really get easier staying away from starchy foods. I also love beans (all types). I grew up with pinto bean, cornbread, fried potatoes and onions. It is weird how these foods are just that a food items now.

Usedto140, keep with the plan and you too well find that you will stop dropping the weight and feeling like a million dollars. Congratulation on the birth of your child. I know each child is a gift from God.

I did make a wicked taco salad for lunch:
fryed 1/4 lbs of ground beef
added 1/4 cup of onions
1 tsp. of chilli mix(1 tsp=1 carb)
cooked until done
Place mixure on top of salad green
and garnish with cherry tomatoes, salsa and sour cream.
It was very feeling and hit the spot.

Well I better go for now. Keep up with the good work.

Gilta
Fri, Mar-01-02, 06:49
Ok guys I have to modify my diet. I am just not losing, in fact I am starting to gain. I have lost only 1/2 lb in 5 wks and gained 1 1/2". I think it is too many hidden carbs and calories. I am changing to a modified atkins. I am going to add more vegetables for additional carbs, but cut down on the calories. I have tried to do it the right way, but I just don't get why I don't lose. I have been really frustrated this week, wine, LC bars, so I am not surprised I gained, but I should have lost more.

I have asked for meal plans and all people do is send me to the recipe section. I just needed some ideas so I can work from there. I was told luncheon meat is no good, but not told a substitute.

I know I am venting because I am just so frustrated. I have passed up cakes, pies, cookies and pasta... just to stay on this. I just will try this new way and see what happens.....

Good luck to us all.

Gitla

Sorry to vent :mad:

donnaj
Fri, Mar-01-02, 07:56
Gilta,
It is okay to vent. It helps to releive tension and stress and stress can cause us to eat when we don't need to.
This is want I eat throught out the day.
Breakfast: sausage and egg
Lunch: 1 cup of salad, 5 tomatoes, cherry,5 slices of cucumber, 2 radishes, and homemade dressing. 1 cup of chicken,turkey, or some type of meat.
Dinner: 4 oz of meat, green beans cooked with bacon grease or some type of low carb vegetables.
I drink at least 64 oz. of water, decaffinated tea and 2 cups of coffee a day.
Snacks: low carb vegetables with dip, pork rinds, nuts
Exercise: 1 mile a day if it pretty out

Gilta, I hope this help. I am sorry I haven't been on the net because we are remodeling but I will start putting down my menu in my journal and you can go there and see what I am eating.
I hope this help.

Cher
Sun, Mar-03-02, 01:16
Hi donnaJ, Gilta and Used2b140

I've been away from the boards again...and, we are getting ready to do some remodeling too donnaj. I'm going to be living in a new place while the remodeling is going on (I'm so sensitive to any chemicals). We go into the internet through our cable system...so, I'm not sure how I will access the internet on Monday. Hopefully, I will figure out a temporary solution. This is supposed to last for three weeks (my fingers are crossed)! P.S., Donna...how is your remodeling coming?

Donna...You're weight loss is so awesome...thanks for shaingyour success...you've come a long way. By the way, have you shared on the success portion of this bb? I can't wait untill I'm in the 160ies (I'll probably jump up and down, sing on the rooftops...lol).

Gilta...sorry you're having such a tough time. I'd love to share menus with you but I'm just not that creative. But, my favorite is spinach and Artichoke dip with celery or cucumbers:

Olive Garden Hot Artichoke and Spinach Dip
adapted by Janis Ross

1 pkg. cream cheese
1 can 14 oz. Progresso Artichoke Hearts, drained, coarsely
1/2 cup Spinach, frozen, chopped or steamed
1/4 cup Mayonnaise (do not use Miracle Whip)
1/4 cup Pamesan Cheese
1/4 Cup Romano Cheese (You can use all Parmesan)
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 tsp. Fresh Basil
1/4 cup Mozzarella Cheese grated
1/4 tsp Garlic Salt
Salt and pepper to taste.

Allow cream cheese to come to room temperature. Cream together mayonnaise, parmesan, Romano Cheese, garlic, basil, and garlic salt. Mix well. Add the artichoke hearts and spinach (careful to drain this well), and mix until blended. Store in a container until you are ready to use. Spray pie pan with PAM, pour in dip, and top with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until the top is browned. Serve with cucumber slices, pork rinds or sliced celery.

USED2B140...I bet you're going to be 140 again :-) I was getting hungry reading your post :-) I think that some of us are just metabolically challenged...I can run around like crazy and it won't impact my weight...but, for some reason this WOE does :-) I'm really happy about that!

Cher
Sun, Mar-03-02, 01:22
Sample Menus,

Breakfast:
Turkey Bacon and eggs with Cheddar cheese Or,
Atkins pancakes (once in a while) Or,
Flaxseed granola Or,
Mock Danish with strawberries and whipped cream

Snack:
SF jello with whipped cream Or,
2 Tbsp. Peanut butter with Whipped cream

Lunch:
Chicken salad with Chicken breast, avocado, tomato, grilled onion, mixed greens and salad dressing.

Snack:
Spinach Artichoke dip with celery

Dinner:
Taco Salad with:
ground turkey, cheddar cheese, lettuce, pace picante sauce, & sour cream

donnaj
Mon, Mar-04-02, 05:47
How has everyone ? I am cold!!!! I can't wait till spring. Gilta and Cher is a sample of my menu:
Breakfast: sausage and one egg
Lunch: 1 cup of salad, lettuce, 5 cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cup. cucumber, 2 radishes with 1/4 cup mexican cheese and homemade ranch dressing. Topped this chicken strips.
Sncack: low carb shake or a handful of nuts
Dinner: 1 cup low carb vegetables, low fat meat, a some time a few strawberries with splenda.

I read in one of my books that you could rotate your menu to keep from becoming food intolerance. So I try every four days to come up with something different.

I have been fixing a low carb taco salad and it taste so gooood.
I have been thinking about trying something different. I did try my celery spaghetti and it was wonderful. I blanched 3 celery stalks in salt water and drained. Place this is a casserole dish ;added meat sauce(low carb) and cheese. Built layers and baked at 350 for about 25 minutes or until brown. It was surprising good.
Well eveyone have a great low carb day.

Cher
Mon, Mar-04-02, 09:56
Hi Donna,

It's funny...I think we all have that low carb taco salad. Someone mentioned using full lettuce leaves to wrap it in, so that it looks like a taco. I haven't tried that yet...but, it sounds good. That celery spagetti sounds really good. I've been looking for a machine that turns raw veggies into spagetti strips...I was thinking of using it with Zuchinni...but, celery sounds good too.

Well, I'm making that mock danish this morning...it's so good...and i feel like I'm cheating when i add the strawberries and whipped cream...yum! OK that's enough about food...I'm getting so hungry.

My weight stayed the same this week (today's weigh in) so I'm still paying the price from that 3 pound weight gain. However, I ate a lot of those low carb Atkins Chocolate crunch Endulge bars last week...and I knew exactly what they would do to my body. It must be those hidden carbs...but, it's also just reinforcing my food addiction...so, I'm trying to stop that now. I also added more calories...tried to jump from 1300 calories to 1700 per day...big jump...I know. But, I was looking at the calories that others are taking in everyday and mine just seemed to low. It will probably take a while for my body to adjust to this change. But, it was pointed out to me that if i stay at 1300 calories now, I'll have to drop lower when I'm trying to lose the last 10 pounds...not a good thought.

Well...I'm moving for the rehab work today and I'm not sure how I will access the internet (since I go in through cable). I'm trying to see if I can get that all worked out this morning...I hope it's OK...this is a lifeline for me :)

Have a nice low-carb day!

Gilta
Mon, Mar-04-02, 10:35
I cannot thank you all enough for all your wonderful meal plans! I had a very restful and thoughtful weekend. I have really thought about what made me lose my weight before and why did I gain it back.

1st, with me, I lose weight by exercise and smaller portions/calories. I know that goes sort of against the Atkins plan, but I have been gaining when I increased my calories. I decided to reduce my calories. Guess what.. I lost 2 lbs and it is TOM too.. That is huge for me. I will keep the calories a little lower and increase my carbs a little to about 40-50. This seems to be ok for me.

2nd, I gained weight between the fertility meds and the stress from the infertility. I looked back and saw I ate a lot of sugars when I miscarried. I felt it was a crutch to survive my loss. It has been a very rough 3 years, but I am moving forward. I want the weight off and I am not eating the sugars, so I am happy with that.

Thank you for everyone's support.
Gilta

Cher
Thu, Mar-07-02, 08:22
Just wanted to check in and say hi. We've moved into our new (temporary) living quarters and I'm finally back on line. I'm so happy about that because coming to this bb has been an incredible lifeline for me. They've already gutted our Kitchen, dining room and bath/vanity areas...wow...they do work fast. Hopefully, I'll be home in about 3 weeks. This new place is nice but, I miss my ocean view and cathdral ceilings...it's fully how important our living quarters can be. I've been on prograam and trying to actively write in my journal...but, it's hard to keep with with my daily commitment to list the foods that I've eaten. I'm sure that I'll get into the habit...so, I'll just keep trying.

Gilta...wow! how exciting that you've dropped 2 more pounds...you must be feeling good about your calorie changes. I decided to go up in my calories...so, we'll see what happens (feeling a little scared).

How's everyone else doing?

donnaj
Fri, Mar-08-02, 05:17
Cher,
I am glad you are back. We are still working on the bedroom. Today should see it done then the cleaning. I have dust everywhere. Then, I have to clean the mess that the hot water tank made last night. But we got a plumber coming this morning.
I know what you mean about how you enviroment affect you. I was so upset yestersday, I wanted to eat something sweet so bad but I didn't I had a diet coke and rum instead. I know I need to up my calories and I am scared to do it too. But, I am at a stall again. My body is changing so I am going to start tomorrow. Today is a day of fasting. I am going to have cottage cheese this morning for breakfast and salad for lunch and dinner probally tuna salad with vegetable.

Gilta, congratulation on losing 2 more pounds that is wonderful. Keep up the great work.

Hope everyone else is okay. I email again later. I am going to get started cleaning the bedroom.

Everyone have a great day.

sunshine2
Fri, Mar-08-02, 09:49
Hello everyone, haven't posted in this thread in awhile. thought I would stop by and say hello.

Gilta - your doing great, keep it up!!!!

donnaj
Fri, Mar-08-02, 16:52
How have you been? I wonder how you were getting alone.

Ranger
Fri, Mar-08-02, 23:03
Hi all,

I have been waiting for a few months, and now I can finally join this thread! I love talking to all my lo carb friends on the "petites" thread, and now hopefully I will meet some new folks here....

I haven't read all of the previous posts here, but I can totally understand how you feel about eating sugars after a miscarriage Gilta...I am so sorry for your loss, I do understand, because I have had 8 miscarriages.

The doctors all said different things, but I think my stress level was so high, and I also think my weight had something to do with it.

In April of 98 I went on the Atkins diet and lost 42 lbs by July. It was then that I miscarried a twin, but my daughter was born the following April...(I switched Drs. was put on progesterone and was on bed rest for over 8 months) gained back all my weight, but it was all worth it....now I am finally trying to get back to lose the weight again and this time I am sticking with the lo carb WOL.

Gilta, once again, I am so sorry for your loss...I know it is very hard to say the right thing, (and it is amazing what some people actually do say to you...) but take heart, do what you can to reduce the stress in your life (easier said than done!) and I am sure it will all work out...

Ranger

Cher
Fri, Mar-08-02, 23:30
wanted to check in and say hello.

Sunshine...hi...it's so great to see you back here. I saw your post in my journal and wanted to say thanks. By the way, do you keep a journal on-line? I looked under sunshine but didn't see it. Isn't your cruise coming up really soon?

Donna... congratulations on your bedroom...it must feel awsome to see it completed! The issue with the calories is a tough one...I did go up in the calories (to around 1600 - 1800 a day)...but, I feel like I've gained weight and am feeling concerned about that. However, at the Dr. Atkins chat he mentioned that the usualy cause of a stall is 1) medications...which of course, I take and 2) hormones...and I just started taking a hormone about 2 weeks ago. So, I think I'll go off of that soon...lol...like today!

Hi Gilta...how are you doing?

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Ranger...Hi and welcome to the 190's countdown. Congratulations on your awesome weight loss...that's pretty exciting! Sorry to hear about your 8 miscarriages...wow! this group has had a few...I've had three miscarriages and no children yet...Not giving up hope...there's always miracles. My dr. just put me on a progesterone pill to stop some excessive bleeding that i've had. However, after reading your posts...I'm worried that it might cause weight gain. I think I need to read more about this pill.

Well, I'll check in tomorrow to see how everyone's doing. I think DH wanted to see what I was doing, he came over, read a bit and then gave me a kiss and left...guess he needs some attention

donnaj
Sat, Mar-09-02, 03:56
Gilta, I am so sorry about your lost. I too, have had 6 miscarriages and I can empathize with your lost. I also wanted sweets and sugar because it was comfort I wanted after the loses. Take care of yourself and don't worry about weight loss at this time. When you are ready it well happen. If you need to talk I am hear to listen and I know the others are here for you too.

Welcome Ranger, I am glad to see you on the thread.

Cher, my husband also read what I have written. I think you are right they feel left out sometimes. How the remodeling coming?
I slept in my bed last night and it was so nice. Now we only have the door to varnish and shelac and then the molding. The next project well be this fall. We are trying to start a home business in trading and selling books. So, I quess well work on building new shelves. Never a boring moment.

Well ladies, I am going to get started cleaning the kitchen and fixing breakfast. I hope everyone have the best day every.

Ranger
Sat, Mar-09-02, 10:23
Sorry to hear about your misscarriages too...it is so hard. I was put on progesterone suppositories early on and only had to take it for the first trimester...I guess the progesterone actually keeps the pregancy going, but then is not as important after the first three months....(please forgive my non-scientific descriptions!)

The reason I gained my weight back was because you are not supposed to do Atkins while you are pregnant, and I was put on bed rest, so I had not much else to do...of course I was worried the whole time so it was completely my own doing.....I am just happy to have my little girl and now I am working on me!

Good luck, I hated to go off Atkins, since it was so successful for me the first time, but it is worth it in the long run!
Ranger

Ranger
Sun, Mar-17-02, 20:30
Hi everyone,

I haven't seen any posting to this thread since I last was on it....hope I didn't offend anyone....yikes if I did, I am very sorry.....I had gained a couple lbs back and actually hit the 200 mark again, so I felt like I shouldn't be here....but it is finally gone again, and am down to 197.....2 more lbs to go and I can try on my wedding dress again....I was married 9 years ago and weighed 195....

My husband gave me a gift cert. for a makeover for Christmas, and I decided to wait until I had lost 30 lbs.....a few more lbs to go....I told him he had to take me out to dinner after the makeover...he didn't figure that was included in the gift certificate!!

Well, I hope you are all ok....See ya, Carol

Shirlfe
Mon, Mar-18-02, 05:48
Hi, Back on agin.
I can't hardly breathe. It is time to get it off, anyhow I need to wear a swimming suit by July 4th. Bought retirement house with a pool.
Anyone want to do a challenge for 40 off by 1st of August. May not make it, but heck why not try!
Have a great low carb. day.
Shirley :wave:

Betsy
Mon, Mar-18-02, 06:43
If you're serious about wanting to lose 40 by 1st of August I'm ready for the challenge. I will write to you in your journal. I'm at 191 now so we're pretty close in weight, and I'm also on a modified version of CAD.

Shirlfe
Mon, Mar-18-02, 07:58
Betsy,
I am on. I am going on Atkins this time. Today is my first day of induction.
I can't go on, overweight.
My fat is getting around my heart, not good!
I also have grandkids, 4 of them, 3 boy's and a girl. I would like to see them grown.
We will be moving to Kansas in August or Sept and we will live 15 minutes away from 2 of the grandkids. They love the pool.
I decided yesterday. I wasn't going to stray on this diet. I can't, I have to much at stake.
Also my dh has emphysema and will need care from me before long and I need the health and strength to do it.
Ok, let's go! Betsy.
I have drank 4 glasses of water, already, going to have some breakfast. I am going to boil a egg and have some cheese. I will let you know what I have the rest of the day, tonight. I have steaks thawing for supper.
Talk Later, Shirley

Shirlfe
Mon, Mar-18-02, 08:02
:wave:
Betsy,
Write me here, If you don't mind. I am not going to do a Journal.
Shirley

Shirlfe
Tue, Mar-19-02, 06:35
Betsy, How did you do yesterday?
I did well, Had my steak and salad and some cre :wave: am cheese heated in the microwave with vanilla and splenda.
I don't feel bloated this morning, anyway. That's a start.
I was talking to another friend on low carb and she said it sounded like i wasn't eating enough. I was stuffed. Don't know if I could have held anymore.
Have a good day everyone. Shirley

Shirlfe
Tue, Mar-19-02, 06:39
Yikes! I put the wave, where it wasn't suppose to be.
To darn early in the morning!
Shirley :roll:

Betsy
Tue, Mar-19-02, 10:44
Started a reply and then it just disappeared, I must be doing something weird! Anyway, today went well. Over here in the Persian Gulf its the end of the day so I can tell you what I had all day. I'm tracking my calories and carbs just out of curiosity and I'm naturally running about 1500 calories and 85-100 carbs.

Breakfast: 2 eggs w/ 4 strips turkey bacon (can't get pork over here)

Lunch: 3 oz. diced chicken, 1 Tblsp. onion, 1 Tblsp. mayo (didn't really even want it, wasn't hungry, but I wanted to get 2 no carb meals in before my reward meal to keep my blood sugar stable)

Reward Meal: Chicken Al Fredo, my own sauce, 3 oz chicken, 1/2 cup noodles, 1 cup steamed carrots, 1 Nutri-grain bar.

And I drank all 80 oz of water!!! I'm sure you'll lose faster than me on Atkins, but I know myself and if I feel the least bit deprived I'll sabatoge my diet so I thought a CAD modified was best for me. Are you weighing in daily? Have you taken your measurements?

Good Night - talk to you tomorrow!

Shirlfe
Tue, Mar-19-02, 10:58
:) I will be weighing in weekly. I haven't took my measurements yet, but i will. Need to get a tape measure.
I don't know if I will make it thru induction or not, but I can assure you I will not be eating any sugar, white flour. I am a complete carb addict. I cannot touch it in any form or I gain.
I have tried cad and could not do it. But everyone is different. I wish you the best, Betsy. Wish me good luck too!
Are you in the Armed Forces, in the Gulf?
Shirley :thup:

donnaj
Tue, Mar-19-02, 17:23
Hello Betsy and Shirley,
I thought I would say hello. Your plan sounds great but I am like Shirley. I know one bite and I am back eating the way I was before. I am doing a protein fast at the the moment to start my metabolism again. I lost one pound and I will see what tomorrow well bring. I hope the whoosh fairy comes and take away about 5 lbs. Well ladies, I hope you a very good night and a good day to you Betsy. Keep safe over there.

Betsy
Wed, Mar-20-02, 10:22
Today went well, weighed in at 191. Drank 80 oz water, plus 2 cups black coffee and one diet pepsi. Also took my calcium and vitamin C tablets.

B- 2 eggs and 4 strips turkey bacon

L- 2 slices turkey ham wrapped around cheddar cheese sticks

RW- 6 oz. lemon chicken (no sweetener)
1/2 cup saffron rice
1 cup carrots and 1 cup green beans
1 cup jello w/ 4 tblsp. cool whip and 1 oz peanuts thrown on top for crunch.

No Shirley, not in the military. Husband is a petroleum engineer consulting with the local governement. Contrary to the news these days, it really is a nice place to live and the people treat us well. Gotta run, have to pick up my husband at the airport. Talk to you tomorrow. Keep your eye on the goal.............

Shirlfe
Thu, Mar-21-02, 05:05
Betsy,

Sorry, I didn't get on yesterday.

We are having House Guest's for 3 day's and I was trying to get my house in order.

I will not be online for 3 day's, as I Imagine I will be pretty busy.

I am doing pretty well. Messed up yesterday. Wish me well, for the next 3 day's, while I have House Guest's.

Sounds like you have a exciting life, Betsy, my hubby had a chance to go over there a long time ago, but the Job didn't pan out. He has alway's worked In the Petro, field, for about 44 year's. We will be retiring in Aug. this year.
Have a good day.

Shirley

Ranger
Thu, Mar-21-02, 06:32
Shirley,

We all have trouble one time or another..don't let it get you down, we are all human.....have a great time with your houseguests, and I know you can stick with it. It is very tempting sometimes, but you can eat really great lo carb food, (and so can they) you just don't have to tell them.....if you have a chance check out some of the recipes.....good luck! You can do it!
Ranger :wave:

Shirlfe
Thu, Mar-21-02, 06:38
Thanks Ranger. I am going to check out the recipe's.

Talk to you again, either Sun. or Monday and let you know how it went.

Shirley

Betsy
Thu, Mar-21-02, 11:17
I'll be thinking about you over the next 3 days, as Ranger says you can cook some great lo carb meals and they won't even know it. Do what you can, remember we are only human and all we have to do is seek progress not perfection.

It's only 3 days and then you can get back to focusing on you. Take care and talk to you soon.

chrisews
Sat, Mar-23-02, 19:42
Donnaj, What exactly did you mean by a protein fast? I feel as if I'm not moving at all right now, although I've lost 34 since halloween, still, I want to see some more move off me. I'm tired of carrying all this excess weight around. thanks. by the way, those mock danishes are just wonderful, I will have to try one with more cream cheese and with cinnemon. I've only had it with the lemon juice. Chris :wave: :wave:

donnaj
Sat, Mar-23-02, 20:28
My protein fast consisted of eating meats and very few carbs under 10. Example: sausauge and eggs, hamburger patties, chicken and plenty of water and supplements. I stayed on for two days and then started adding vegetables. I am now down about 5 lbs. I hope this help.

Mock Danish with walnuts :D
Make like you usually do and instead of cinnamon and lemon juice add black walnut flavoring(1 tsp) and 1/4 cup chopped walnut halves. Then micorwave for 1 min. It was delicous. Even my husband liked it.

I hope this help.
Donna
:wave:

Betsy
Sun, Mar-24-02, 00:53
I'm curious about this Donna, can you tell me more? You do zero carbs, protein only for 2 days? Then build up to 10 carbs with vegetable for how long? Does this kick-start your system for burning fat or something?

Would like to learn more. Thank you.

donnaj
Sun, Mar-24-02, 03:15
Betsy here is a sample of what I ate for the first two days maybe this well help you.
Breakfast: sausage and egg and cup of coffee (vitamins and supplements)
Snack: water and hamburger patty
Lunch: Chicken fryed in oil and butter(6oz.) more water
Snack: Chicken and water
Dinner: sausage and egg with cup of herbal tea with splenda
Snack: hamburger patty(3oz.) and water

Second day: 3 slices of bacon and scrambled egg with butter)
vitamins and supplements)coffee
Snack:cold chicken and water
Lunch: tuna with mayo with ice tea and one packet of splenda
Snack: hamburger patty with mayo and cheese and water
Dinner: sausage and eggs
Snack: chicken and cup of herbal tea with splenda

I try to drink at least 128 oz of water a day and well have 1 to 2 cup of coffee(black). Betsy, I don't know why it works but in the 2 days I lost 4 lbs. We started a thread on protein fast you are welcome to join us. Well I hope this help. I only stayed on it for two days because I was afraid it would affect my kidneys.

Snack:

Cher
Sun, Mar-24-02, 18:33
well, once again I've been away for a few days (that darn fibromyalgia)...but, I'm determined to hang in here...this is such an awesome support system. It's really tough to do this alone!

Sunshine2...wow! it was nice to see your picture...you're so pretty...hope that your on the boards soon...oh...I know where to find you...or, are you on your cruise????

DannaJ...Wow..your protein fast sounds like it really helped...Way To Go! Congratulations on that 5 pound weight loss. It's nice to get that type of payoff :) How did your bedroom turn out?

Chrisews :wave: I think this is the first time I saw your name here so welcome. 34 pounds since Halloween is incredible...congratulations!
P.S., I have a mock danish almost every morning. But, I add 2 strawberries and Whipped Cream....wow! It's yummy.

Shirley...hope your having a great time with your house guests. They'll probably leave eating the low carb way...lol...it's a little catchy....Especially after they see your progress!

Betsy...wow! sounds like you're doing really well too. Congratulations!

Betsy
Mon, Mar-25-02, 05:03
I think I'll do this Protein Fast for 2 days too. It just seems like it would feel good not to eat any carbs for a few days, then add them in by small amounts in veggies only for another few days. I'm just feeling turned off on any carbs right now so maybe my body is wanting this protein only fast. Who knows, but I'll try it.
Where do I find the tread on Protein Fast?

Cher- thank you for your words of support. It's wonderful having this forum. It feels good to know I'm not alone in this journey!

Shirlfe
Mon, Mar-25-02, 05:25
:) I am back. thing's went pretty well, while the company was here. I didn't completly stay on, but I don't think I gained anything.
I am back on track this morning.
I woke up aching all over. We had 80 degree weather the last couple day's, then it cool's off. I think it is the change in weather.
I am going to try and wean myself off coffee and drink green tea. I have heard it is good for you.
Well, got a lot to do this morning, after the company's gone. See ya'll later.
Shirley

Gilta
Mon, Mar-25-02, 10:43
Well, I have been out of the picture for quite a while. I am trying to get back into this WOL. I am going to look at the PP way as I don't think the Atkins worked for me. It may be I failed it instead! Today is my " inbetween " day. This is the day I start to really think about what I want to do. I need to lose weight, but I don't seem to lose any unless I am lowering my calories. I will try to keep my carbs around 50 with veggies and not sugars.

I am not getting on my scale for a while. I will be just too depressed. I am sure I am back up to 200. My job has been in limbo for 3 wks now and the stress got to me. I have to put it behind me and hope for the best. They will finalize the lay offs this week. I am to the point I hope I get laid off so I can spend some time on me!

Gilta

chrisews
Mon, Mar-25-02, 14:23
:wave: :wave: Thanks so much for the welcome, Cher, I appreciate the words of encouragement. Actually, I've been in Florida for a month so I haven't been able to come on, Besides, I often think that everyone has more to say than me, so I kind of stay quiet, but this thread seems to have more that I identify with. I hope I won't have to leave when I'm below 190, or will we then call it the 180's, we're all going in the same direction. :roll:

Gilta, are you sure you want to get your carbs down to 50 That's really high, :exclm: I usually try to keep mine around 30 or 35 in order to keep losing, and I'm wanting to try that Protein fast starting today just to give myself a jump start for the week.

I went out and bought some clothing a little small for me from some local thrift shops. That's more fun than measuring yourself. I try the small clothes on (not too small) when I get home, then each week I try them on til they fit. I'm doing it with Thrift shop purchases because I'm planning on getting even smaller. and it's not too big an investment. :thup: :sunny: If you buy at consignment shops you can sell them back, Also I want to make some extra money by selling them some of my big clothes so I won't feel comfortable if I should gain again. I won't have too many clothes anymore. :wave: :wave:

Chris

sunshine2
Mon, Mar-25-02, 14:34

Sunshine2...wow! it was nice to see your picture...you're so pretty...hope that your on the boards soon...oh...I know where to find you...or, are you on your cruise????

Hello Cher - yes, I've been gone, but not on a cruise, just down to Acapulco for a week. it was absolutely beautiful weather, 88 degrees every day with a cool breeze. Then I come home to yuck weather, 30 degrees here in Oklahoma today, blurrrr.

Well, I have not got on the scales because I know they are up, how could they not be with all the "corona" I've drank during the week I was there. But, I'm back on track today and plan on sticking with it. Trying to get things together to begin the body for life challenge next week - April 1st.

GatorGal93
Mon, Mar-25-02, 14:38
I would love to join the 190 club as I was 193 just before Thanksgiving. Cut me a little slack and I promise to help you back! :wiggle:

Julie

donnaj
Mon, Mar-25-02, 15:00
Cher, I am so sorry you are not feeling well. My girlfriend also have it and I know she can really be miserable. Hang in there girlfriend. My prayers are with you.

Shirley, I am glad everything went well. I have company coming this Sunday for Easter dinner. Me and my sister are both low carbing so I have planned two different dinners. We both would love to have the rolls but alas we are determined to stick with this till we lose. Thank God for Sisters.

Gilta, Sweetheart with the stress you are under it will cause you to gain even without eating. Can I make a suggestion? I was you at one time and I experience a 10 lb gain in one month. I would lower your carb intake back down to 20-25. I started a protein fast and jumpstarted my weight loss and now I am still losing. I know it is hard to relax but please give it a try. Stress can be a killer. I am not kidding. I would hate to lose you when we are just getting to be friend from a heart attack or stroke.
So, if you need to blow off steam and vent a little. I am here to listen. I will keep you in my prayer.

Chris, I have done the same thing about the thrift shops. I love it. I just exchange my bigger clothes for smaller ones. There are some beautiful clothes and a whole lot cheaper. Keep up the good work.

Welcome back Sunshine2, I am glad you had a wonderful time. I wish you luck on your challenge.

Welcome Julie, You are more than welcome to join us. I started at 192 and now I am 166 and I feel it was the support from these angels that I was able to lose it.

Well ladies have a wonderful evening and I hope the whoosh fairy well visit us this evening. :wave:

Cher
Mon, Mar-25-02, 16:03
Betsy...let me know how you do on the 2 day protein fast. It looks like Donnaj had a great boost to her weight loss efforts. I'm afriad to go down too much on my carbs because I've had such significant hair loss...but, 2 days doesn't sound too bad...and boy, wouldn't I love to jump down into the 170's.

Julie...:wave: hi and welcome to the 190's club...you're absolutely welcome to come to this thread...most of us started in the high 190's...so, you're doing great at 193. The question is what do we do when we're all in the 180's ???

Shirley, congratulations on getting through the weekend without a weight gain (since having guests can be tough). It must feel good to know that you made it without major damage to your program! Green Tea is excellent. I usually take it in capsules...but, I love tea...so, I should try to drink it (what a concept...drinking tea...lol). I don't drink coffee so that's an easy one for me. But Dh can't go a day without his "cup of Joe (or is that jo..oh well)".

Gilta...wow Donna's right...stress can be a big factor. Good luck with PP, I don't know anything about the other low-carb programs except Atkins. I stay around 30 - 40 carbs per day now...and most of that is via veggies. But, I lose really slow (but, at least I'm losing...that keeps me motivated... smile).

Chris...DH was born in Florida...but, he's becomming more and more committed to California. But, we go there to visit my in-laws quite often. A month during this time of year must have felt great! I'm in the 180's hoping to make that break to the 170's soon...and I'm still visiting this thread because it helps me so much. But, who know with my body...it's so slow at releasing weight (ooops...that's not a positive affirmations....deep breath...I am losing weight everday...my body is releasng weight everday...lol). There must be some truth to that statement despite what the scale says because I'm fitting back into my size 10 jeans...again...Woo Hoo for that!

Sunshine2...wow! how was Alcapulco...that must have been wonderful! It's great that you're back on track and that you obviously had a great vacation! OK...now the big question...do you think we'll be in a bikini by summer...lol. It's hard for me to imagine right now...but, I'm still trying... I do think I'll make it by Christmas :)

DonnaJ...you must feel awesome at 166...I can't wait ...that is only 1 pound above my first goal of 165 (I think I'll feel so much better about myself at that weight) then, I'll go towards the 145...but, I'll take it really, really slow. Thank you for the prayers...they must be working because I'm feeling much better today...and after fiting back into those size 10 jeans...I feel so much commitment towards this program...it works despite me...lol

Ranger
Mon, Mar-25-02, 18:24
You folks all should be commended on the love and support your give to everyone! It is truly uplifting to read about everyones ups and downs, (with weight, and life!) and see how everyone comes out of the woodwork to try and help....that is why I love it here.....

I hope everyone knows that new folks are always welcome, the more the merrier....I know when I was over 200, I was afraid to post, but I made it a goal to get to the 190's just so I could post here....it worked well for me....little goals, one step at a time....perhaps this could be renamed the "See Ya', 190's thread! Cause we are all going to get there! I just know it.!

Hope everyone is feeling better, and losing weight as I type!!!

Take care,
Carol :wave:

Betsy
Mon, Mar-25-02, 20:47
It is 5:00 am over here in the Persian Gulf and why am I up already? Because I am bursting with energy! I think it was that protein fast I went on yesterday. The day went very well. I kept expecting to have a problem with wanting more than just protein but it never happened. I sailed through the day eating bacon and eggs, meatballs without filler, and chicken. This morning I'm down a half pound. Today I'm going to continue the Protein Fast. Thank you Donna, I think this was exactly what I needed.

Julie, I agree with the others, you are more than welcome here. You'll be in the 190's soon anyway, so you're just starting early.

Gilta, sorry about the stress you are living with. Human beings need to feel a sense of control over their own lives, its part of our survival system. When our life feels out of our control we will react with anger or depression. To avoid either one it is often helpful to look at your life and see where you can get some control back in another area to bring yourself more into balance. So perhaps focusing on gaining control over your eating program right now will help you to acheive a sense of personal control over your life again. You won't feel so vulnerable.

Shirley, welcome back. I will be having company arrive on Easter day and they will be here for 2 weeks. They won't know it but they will be eating low carb! I refuse to blow this progress for anyone, it means too much to me.

Cher, I want to post someday that I'm wearing size 10 jeans again!!!!!!

Have a great day everyone.

chrisews
Mon, Mar-25-02, 21:15
Betsy, I had to laugh when I read your post, I was thinking the same thing about Cher wearing size 10 jeans. I think I may have worn that size when I was 10 but once that first baby was born, I never went below a 12, and that would be pretty wonderful to reach again, in my book. :Party: I am pretty happy to be back down to a 16 :cheer:
I wanted to do a Protein fast starting today, and i did great til dinner, Breakfast I had a bacon/swiss omelet, Lunch was salami and provalone, no bread. then for dinner I had a chicken cutlet with broccolli and salad. We do have sugarless Jello for dessert each nich with cool wip, Makes you feel like you've had something special. :spin:
It's hard not to have salad or a veggie for dinner. What did you do? chris :wave:

Betsy
Tue, Mar-26-02, 06:43
I know what you mean about veggies and salad. When my husband was eating his salad last night I wanted to grab a cucumber off his fork! I'm serious!!! However, I resisted and told myself that its only for two days then I can have cucumber or whatever veggie I want. I told myself, "Betsy, you can get up from this table feeling really good with yourself that you resisted and stuck to this fast..or you can blow it for a lousy little cucumber..Which will it be?" Well, I wanted to feel proud of me more than I wanted that cucumber so sticking to the plan took priority.

I chose for years to give in to this head of mine and look where it got me! So part of this program for me is learning how to control those thoughts and make mature decisions. If its a cucumber today it will be a fudge brownie tomorrow if I let this head rule my life. I'm pretty mature in most areas of my life, but when it comes to food I'm a definite 2 year old. At 52 I think its time that I grew up in this area of my life. So I'm trying to practice cognitive therapy and gain control over my thoughts. Some days are easier than others!

Gilta
Tue, Mar-26-02, 06:54
Thanks you guys for all of your support! I appreciate you all understanding what I am going through. I thought I would have started, but I just never made the time to get organized.

I know that is an excuse, but I figure if I keep writing in here and my journal, I will start up again soon. I have 11 people coming for Easter this year and I am planning on a lot of meat!

I know you all state I should not go as high as 50 carbs. The problem was when I was doing the lower carbs and keep the calories around 10 - 12x my weight, I started to gain. When I decreased the calories and slightly increased the carbs, I lost. I guess at this point, I need to regroup and relook at how I am doing this. I bought the PP book. I will be reading that and rereading the atkins and then decide which will work better. Yesterday, I really kept things down ( both carbs and calories) lower than I have in 3 wks. I figure that is a place to start.

I love the idea of going to the thrift shop and getting smaller clothes. I will have to try it. I leave on vacation to Dominican Republic on the 13th of April. I would love to just lose 5lbs before I go. I guess I will have to get on the scale to see how high I am. Of course, it is TOM so I am sure it is even higher!

Gilta

Cher
Tue, Mar-26-02, 15:56
Hi everyone...

Well it sounds like everyone is on track and doing really well...that's great!
I'm excited to hear how everyone does with the 2 day protein fast. I'm so tempted to try but, I think I'll wait a little longer (still scared about hair loss).

If I look at my weight loss over the past 5 months...it's taken me 5 months to lose 20 pounds (1 pound a week). If I look at it over the past 2 months I've only lost .6 pounds a week (but, there were some medication issues). It's hard for me to believe that I've had enough patience to hang in here at that rate. In the past if I didn't lose 8 - 10 pounds in a month...I just gave up. Isn't that silly! But, when I look at my overall loss of 48.5 pounds since mid August (7 months)....I realize that the process is working, despite myself. In a way, this is really good for me because my eating habits should be significantly changed by the time I start maintenance.

So, I've set this interim goal to be at 165 by July 4th....that's 16.5 pounds by July 4th....and a little bit more than 3 months. The problem is that I need to lose a little more than 1 pound a week to make that goal -- so, how do I get there? Again, I want to be patient... but, I would just love to be back to 165.
Oh well... will prayer work...lol...I'm trying everything.

chrisews
Tue, Mar-26-02, 16:37
cher, I don't understand this business about hair loss, Did you have hair loss, and at what point? Are you sure its the lo carbs. Recently, I was on another thread and people were talking about nails and that their nails were even more strong than they had been because of all the protein. That made sense to me, although I have not experienced it, my nails are like paper, but, you know, gelatin is protein and it's supposed to be so good for nails. And (long way around) usually what's good for your nails is also good for your hair. Not that I've noticed any difference, but that's the point. Have others had this problem also? : :q:

Gilta, I am going to Dominican Rep in October, to Puerta Plata. Where are you going? You'll have to fill us in when you come back. :wave: Enjoy. chris

Cher
Tue, Mar-26-02, 17:31
Chris...yes, ironically, my nails are really strong. But, I had about 5 months of massive hair loss... In fact, I have 2 bald spots on my temples (little baby hairs are growing back there...thankfully), the top of my hair thinned, and I have less than 1/2 the hair that I had...it's really scared me...and I cried a lot. When I stood in the shower huge handfulls would fall out -- it was like I was going through chemotherapy. I can't pull my hair into a ponytail without wearing some sort of hat because the loss is so noticable.

I went to a dermatologist and he said that rapid weight loss can cause hair loss like I've experienced. When I first started, I lost 25 pounds in something like 6 weeks (which was the only rapid weight loss that I've had). He (the doctor) thinks it will come back (fingers crossed), and stated that it usually falls out for 4 - 6 months.

He didn't suggest that I change my diet but to be really careful not to go too low on the carbs (I didn't mention, I stayed on induction for almost 3 months... which I would never do again). The hair loss has slowed down now, so, as much as I would love to be in the 170's I would just die if I had to go through that again. I don't have much hair left... and, I've always had such thick hair.

BTW, my mother and sister have been on this WOE too and neither one had this experience...just me...but, they didn't lose so much weight in the beginning. I think they averaged about 10 pounds in 8 weeks. So, I don't think this happens to a lot of people...just a small percentage of low carbers that I've talked to.

Betsy
Tue, Mar-26-02, 22:17
Again I was up before the alarm clock full of energy and down another half pound. I certainly didn't have the 4 pound loss like Donna did on her two day fast, but I'm quite content with the total of one pound loss for my 48 hours of effort.

Being the compulsive person I am, everything in me wants to keep going and stay on this fast longer. However, I'm going to resist being extreme and be moderate by adding in a few carbs of veggies this evening instead of staying on the full fast. Fresh green beans are in the frig so I think I'll start with those. That will be the only addition for today and I'll work up to more carbs from there over the next few days.

Regarding the calories/carbs when it comes to weight loss. Calories are units of measurement and 3500 calories equals one pound up or down, that's just plan science. So to me it can't be denied. What I find on low carb eating is that I can cut back on calories painlessly without feeling hungry and deprived. I've been tracking my calories and carbs daily since I started this program although CAD didn't require it I was curious. Also on this fast I tracked my calorie and carbs. On the fast I was consuming about 1,000 calories a day and of course no carbs. I didn't try to limit at all the amount of protein I needed to feel satisfied. I ate what I needed. If I tried to eat 1000 calories a day on the old diet thinking like weight watchers with fruit and bread I can assure you I would have been hungry all the time. Low carb allows less calories without hunger and to me that is a blessing!

Betsy
Tue, Mar-26-02, 22:34
I just wanted to mention one other thing about the protein fast. Usually on CAD modified that I've been doing since February 17th I would have eaten 3 times a day. But on the fast I ate 5 times a day. I let my body lead me on this and I found I typically didn't go more than 4 hours without eating more protein. I think that's what kept me from ever getting really hungry and at risk for blowing it. I also had two cups of black coffee in the morning, which I doubt I will ever give up. I had a diet pepsi with my evening meal. Other than that just plain water.