PDA

View Full Version : My kid is doing great- day 3

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

YogaBuff
Wed, Nov-28-01, 15:18
My 15 yr old son is on day 3 of lo-carb (modified to be like the Schwarzbein principle). Even with lunch packing (by me) he hasn't squawked yet! So glad 'cause he really needs to get off the sweets. How are your kiddies??

YB

Victoria
Thu, Nov-29-01, 09:14
Hi Yogabuff,
My little 9 year old has gotten kind of pudgy the last year or two. He was embarrassed to wear his bathingsuit last summer because of his weight. So...I have been trying to make sure he is more active and watch what he eats. But it is so hard to tell him he can't have something his other siblings are having. I don't want to put him on a DIET, but I've tried to feed him like I eat. He's not crazy about salads like I am. So mainly I am trying to steer him away from the sweets. And we are doing walks together, partly for me, partly for him...Hopefully in the long run this will help.
Thanks for starting this thread, with so many kids overweight now a days I'm sure there are plenty that have this concern. :rheart: Victoria

A thin me!
Thu, Nov-29-01, 09:50
hi!

I have an 11 year daughter who is getting heavy, too.

She wants to lose weight and has seen me try to do Induction. Also, she has seen me falter, too.

Peer pressure is tough and especially here where we live, everyone is a blond, blue eyed twig!!! Honestly - Stepford Village!!! (like the movie if you know it.)

How can I get her started and help her with dealing with the questions at lunch?? Did you change your childs lunch slowly or just decide one day and did it?

I want to help her, so any advice would be great.

YogaBuff
Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:15
Victoria, hi!

That's about the age my son was when he started gaining. It was a really bad year for him-- best friend in the neighborhood moved away--had the teacher from he$$ that year( we are quite strict, but this teacher was just a bitter woman--luckily, he was one of her favorites, but her screaming and threats at the class unnerved him) -- and he started going to the cupboards and the fridge for 'comfort'. We tried to gently stear him away from this behavior(like you describe) but then he started football at 10, and every year, would try to lose -successfully --15-20# by'dieting' and the yo-yo-ing started. Now, like all of us on this board, he's a victim of the backlash of lo-cal, lo-fat dieting.

Luckily, he can work out a couple of days a week at the school fitness room, because otherwhise, he's pretty sedentary (computers- ;) ) I try not to say too much to him-- he's been 'on to us' for a long time, he knows when we're trying to 'help' him. Yet he's unhappy with his weight. He gets many negative comments- always has.

Now, I'm just straight with him-- if he mentionshis weight I just said-- would you like me to help you eat less sugar and starches, cause that seems to be your problem area? It doesn't help that his brother is slim and athletic.

Thin Me-- I got a kick out of your Stepford Children. If I didn;t see that you lived in Ill., I'd have thought we were in the same town. At 15 , I think my son is a little easier to deal with on LC, because he himslf wants this. But, I'm not going to kid myself that he's seen his last milkdud. I know that when he and his buds go to the movies, or stay up late at each others house to sit up and play computer games, that he's always gonna watch his carbs.
I just want to change MOST of his eating habits, and try to keep a sense of humor while I'm doing it.

I think you can just start making changes in the lunches ( anbd the other two meals, and at her age ( and your son;s,Victoria) you have more of a chance to have some control over what's offered to them. Wait till they can drive to their favorite restaurant and pig out-- thats when you really worry

I'm no expert--But I wouldn't shoot for perfection on this- or being in ketosis, even-- these are KIDS, and they share food at school and eat at other peoples houses, so.....

YB

Lessara
Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:33
My daughter is definitely becoming a LC person except for candy. What I do is show and tell her how she acts and how she feels when she does eat candy. (I don't know if anyone else has notice this but have any of you eated some candy while LCing and noticed what happens to you? It seems it takes just a little sugar to do what lots of sugar did before. Headaches, irritability)
So she is eating, or at least trying to eat less sugar.

My son is now finding creative ways to hid/ get rid of his meat.
He also uses his money to buy chips, crackers, candy. This worries me. I mean how many of us hid our eating from others and how did it affect us? Hmmm.. I should tell him about my own hidding of food and tell him what happened...

During Christmas vacation I'm taking off time from my job to be with my children. This would be a great time to really show them the LC lifestyle I would like them to go on and they would see results I am sure.

Victoria
Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:51
Hi Yogabuff and A thin me!
I too was overweight as a young child, so I know how difficult it is. My Mom took me to a doctor when I was 8, and from then on I could tell you how much I weighed at every age and grade. It became such a focus for me. When my other children gained a little, I just suggested to stop eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before bed. Because I have always been aware of my weight and struggle with it, I never wanted to see my children have the same problems. With my youngest, it seems like it started when he started staying inside to play nintendo rather than going outside to play. He's always been one to want MORE of everything too. Now he sees me lose weight so he is willing to change his ways some. But I don't want him to feel like he's on a diet. Because diets make you want to sneak food!! :rolleyes: So I give him a good breakfast with enough protein to start the day, instead of the typical bowl of cereal. I do let him have a hot lunch at school depending what it is, or I make a turkey sandwich with low carb bread and an apple. Something like that. And for dinner I either feed him like I eat or watch his portions. He usually wants toast or something before bed, so lately I've been providing nuts or other snacks that aren't as carby. But no DIET. I don't want him to feel deprived, but we definitely need to get him out and moving more.

He is aware of the weight thing, but I hope to turn it around before it becomes a lifetime struggle. He knows he needs to make changes, but he is a kid. I told him maybe he could stay away from 'candy' til Christmas. We'll see if we see somes changes. What I'm hoping for is a growth spurt. When my older son started growing UP his little pudginess slimmed right down. I think it will take a little more effort with my youngest. But now that I've found some hope, I'm hoping we can change things for him too. Thanks for listening!!!! :rolleyes: Victoria

bsayne
Thu, Nov-29-01, 18:17
Hi all! My youngest son also has a wt issue. As did I in later youth. He just started BB and I am thrilled. Exercise has been an issue since he dislocated his knee this summer on a Scout outing.
He did Atkins with me last yr for about 2 wks. I helped him plan lunches and he helped me grill dinner. He lost 9-1/2 lbs but couldn't resist the donuts at an outing and like a true CA (carb addict) he then couldn't seem to stop the binge.
We did talk his about the detox process and his feelings attached to the food. The pressure seemed too great though so I just backed off. Because of the increased cost involved also I wasn't willing to do steak, shrimp, salmon and supplements only to follow up with a donut chaser. (probably a mistake on my part)
I told him he was welcome to start again when he was ready and he asked this week! This time I told him he needed to read some of the literature first and then we would discuss what it would take to make it work. Obviously age, maturity etc plays a huge role in these decisions which are so difficult. I'm also concerned about planning enough carbs for him considering his practice load of 3x week 1-1/2hrs/per. Any suggestions? I realize all plans vary but I'm concerned about too low of a count for his physical demands. Thanks!
Bsayne

YogaBuff
Fri, Nov-30-01, 09:36
Boy, it seems so many of us have kids in the same boat! Lessara, I think you're right to relate your experiences with him. He may not pay a ton of attention, but there will come a time, he'll say- boy, Mom was right, I feel really crummy after eating sweets :idea: .

I was a skinny kid. We ate a lot of meat, fish, cheese, butter, vegetables from our garden, and were too poor to have junk like chips, sweets, and pop in the house unless it was a special occasion. I began eating crappy when I moved out from home and began buying that junk myself. Hubby, too. I guess we're guilty of having that stuff around the whole time my sons were little. It never rubbed off on my oldest-- he's always eaten healthy. My youngest I always called the cookie monster.
I'm hoping a (modified LC--I don't think it's important to be really harsh here) WOL will make my son see that the very LEAST he should do is be aware of the starches and sugars going into his mouth.
Good luck moms, and thanks for all the responses!

YB

Lori
Sat, Dec-01-01, 10:47
Hey, everyone! I was so glad to find this forum. 2 of my 3 kids are overweight. My youngest is slim, but I can see how carbs affect her. I bought the Carb-Addicts book for kids. It really has a lot of useful information. It suggests make small changes one at a time for younger kids and a jump start program for teens & older kids. My middle child is 8 and weighs 120 pounds. He has asthma & really needs to get the weight off. The program lets them make choices and add a new choice each week (new food, new activity, etc.). I am not done reading the book but am going to try to get started with it this weekend! Wish me luck and let me know how all of you are getting along!

Lori

Victoria
Sat, Dec-01-01, 19:17
hi lori,
I didn't know that they had written a book geared for children. Thanks for the info, I will look for it. I am always happy to hear book recommendations. :p I agree it has to be little changes. I am the one who provided the sweet tooth addiction. So slowly, my shopping has steered toward healthy and less sugary empty calories. But I would have a complete mutany if I didn't provide something "FUN" once and a while. As it is they are grumbling because I don't buy the sugary cereals anymore. But since I eat better, they are eating better as well. Again thanks for the info. :rheart: Victoria

bsayne
Sat, Dec-01-01, 22:15
Hello all and thanks for all the great suggestions. Sounds like someones done the research so I'm gonna look for that book also. Best of luck to all and looking forward to the updates.

Bsayne

A thin me!
Mon, Dec-10-01, 14:21
Hi

How is LC going for your child? I am curious because my daughter is ready and I could use some suggestions....
and encouragement.

Thanks
A Thin Me

chart
Tue, Dec-11-01, 08:31
I have a 10 year old that is a carb addict. Does anyone have any LC suggestions for the lunch box?

bsayne
Tue, Dec-11-01, 09:09
I take large lettuce leaves top with LC Deli meats (not preformed)
add cheese, mayo and toll up with saran wrap for a LC deli wrap and I have small cheap plastic cont that I have made chicken salad, tuna salad and put the greens in a separate bowl and the dressing either packets or small double ziploc bag. I always make sure I put a fruit but I try to avoid bananas...berries, melons or apples in a pinch. Cheese sticks! and vienna sausages in a pinch! Pork rinds or baked cheese snacks...celery w/crm cheese or PB...Just a few that come to mind...I avoid soda and go for cool water bottles or 0 cal juice flav water sometimes we do the real juice drinks but I try to water them down. If they don't like it, it won't work! I think just cutting back on simple sugars and white flour goes a long way!

Best of Luck!
Bsayne

Victoria
Sun, Dec-16-01, 08:31
Great suggestions Bsayne!!! Your last statement is wonderful, " I think just cutting back on simple sugars and white flour goes a long way!" With kids they have to like what they are eating, to be willing to eat. I know that sounds over simplified, but it's too true. I make sandwiches for them, but I buy breads that have more whole grains in them. I give them fruit, and nuts, but have been avoiding the overprocessed sugary snacks. I'm just thinking small changes for the kids is more do-able than something too drastic that they end up rebelling against. But, since I'm not being a sugar-aholic anymore, the quantity of sweets have been cut way down in the family. :roll: Victoria

Raydie
Thu, Mar-14-02, 07:02
I just wanted to let everyone know that i have been reading this thread with much interest. Alot of you sound like you have my kids! I have a 15 year old who takes after Dad and has absolutely NO weight problem...he is a rail. Then i have my 12 1/2 year old who is a wee bit on the chunky side, and really could use to lose some weight. It doesn't help that his brother can eat ANYTHING in sight and not gain a pound....so the suggestions and experiences you have all been sharing have been great. Plus i believe this will give ME more of a reason to stay motivated and gives us both an on the spot partner to share or triumphs and stumbles...

So, i think my first step will be breakfast and snacks....then once we get that one good, as that seems to be the most troublesome areas, we will work on lunches and dinners, though they shouldn't be too much trouble as the family already eats a modified low carb dinner. Since i am homeschooling the boys, i will not have to worry about the school pressure and sneak eating that comes with peers...

Anyway, i wanted to say thanks and i will report in and let you know how it is going....

Blessings and Happy Low Carbing!

daisy92
Mon, Apr-01-02, 22:12
i was very happy to find this thread and others about parents and their children. my 13 year old is over weight and i will have to let her read this so she can see she is not alone. she says sometimes she needs support too :) and since I am low carbing too i completly understand this

leighamaw
Sat, May-18-02, 12:31
My 7 year old granddaughter is overweight and very embarrassed about it. Other kids can be very cruel. I know, I have always been "big boned" as my mother used to say. Any way, I have done lots of research and am going to try a modified low carb for her this summer. She spends most of the summer with me any way, my husband and I are very into the LC way of life....so...ordered the Carbohydrate Addict for Kids book from Amazon. The research that I came across states that kids, because of their revved up metabolism, can have 60 - 100 mg of carbs per day...so that seems to have plenty of room for fruits, vegetables, milk. I used to work for family practitioner, am going to check with him first to see if it is OK. He is big supporter of LC eating but have not asked him about kids.

ptjody
Sun, Jul-07-02, 06:09
I have 4 children, however my two youngest are on the LC WOE with my husband and I. They are ages 15 and 16 and decided to do this as my 16 year old is 6'1" but was over 300 lbs. We have been on this for 2 months and 2 days now and he has lost 35 pounds. My 15 year old has lost 20 lbs., but doesn't have near the weight to lose as his older brother.

I am so proud of both of them because I don't have to say a word to them about the way they eat. I have all of the foods in the house (we even have left over high carb processed packages of food that they aren't even tempted by) and I have educated them in the ways of LC'ing.

My 16 year old took classes during the June month and even packed his own lunch everyday because he was disappointed with the extremely high carb lunches that were offered at school.

Even when the boys spend the night or a few days at a friends house, they always look at their options of food offered to them and choose accordingly. I'm so happy for them and for us.

After 2 months, the 4 of us have lost a total of 109 pounds...and still keep going. :cheer:

MaltoMeel
Mon, Jul-15-02, 07:01
pjtody.....congratualtions! that 109 lbs. is an amazing accomplishment for your family. my son is only 6mos. so I am not concerned now, but carb addiction has plagued my entire family (you know, the "fat family") and I am going to try and start him on the right path...ie no white flour, white sugar. I wish you all continued success!

Juliem
Mon, Jul-15-02, 09:49
My 12 year old son has been LC now with me for 12 months. He lost a total of 11 pounds, which was all he needed to lose. He makes his own food choices, which usually make me very proud. If we go out to breakfast on Sunday to our favorite restaurant, the waitress always knows he's going to order steak and eggs, hold the toast and hashbrowns. The only weight he's gaining now is the normal weight gain that comes with growth. He's very proud of himself, and has far more energy than he had before. He's much more willing to go out and play football or baseball with the neighborhood kids, and put his swimsuit on and jump in the pool. He can have quite a few more carbs each day then I can, and he is very careful about his selections. I have to admit this kid has more control than I do at times. I'm very proud of him.

JeannieF
Sun, Aug-25-02, 06:15
Hi everyone. Just had to get on this thread!

My 10 year old son started doing CAD last monday (it'll be one week tomorrow.) He wasn't happy, at first, as the insulin response was making him hungry... I told him "Give it three days and see how you feel."

He is doing great! Went to the fridge this AM and got himself a snack of rolled ham. He drinks tons of water (good boy!) and told me after day 3 "I want to keep eating like this." He's lost 4.5 lbs in this week alone. I know some of that is water, but he's thrilled and so am I.

I really like CAD for kids because it elminiates the "what to do about lunch" question I read earlier. The kids at school need to know NOTHING about what my son is doing. He has opted to make his reward meal his lunch so he can have a "regular" lunch at school and not let on to anyone that he's on a special eating plan. They'll just be noticing the pounds dropping off and a slimmer, healthier boy appearing.

The CAD also helps them have that "treat" so they don't feel deprived. He had ice cream with lunch yesterday. Not something I'd recommend every day, but if he really wants it, I don't have to stand there and say "NO!". He likes yogurt and can have one cup a day, with this WOE.

This is something he can stick with and he's enjoying it! ALSO, he already said, yesterday, that he can't believe his need for snacking has practially disappeared! PTL.

Try this eating plan for your kids, if they are struggling with Atkins or one of the other low carb plans. It seems to be working well with my son.

Jeannie

tracy1
Wed, Jul-07-04, 17:24
WOW! This sounds so cool! Are your children really losing weight?? That's great that parents are FINALLY taking control of what our youth is eating! I'm actually associate producing a show and we are interested in finding parents like you guys that are firm believers in a low carb lifestyle for their families! Please call me if interested! It's a great opportunity to get the word out to educate other parents (oh yea, we pay for all travel to NYC!)

I can be reached ANYTIME toll free: 800-211-2171

Thanks,
Tracy Byrne
Associate Producer
Life & Style

JeannieF
Thu, Jul-08-04, 07:35
Hi Tracy:

My family and I have been trying to keep on lo-carb with limited success. It's amazing how hard it is when the kids are bombarded with hi-carb everything! The concession stand at the baseball field has absolutely NOTHING my kids can eat, save water and diet soda. The Cafeteria at lunch is laden with hi-carb fare.

Eating out has become somewhat less difficult because of lo-carb options, but it's not what kids WANT when offered the other stuff on the menu.

CAD helps, because it offers kids a chance to eat carbs one time a day.

My oldest son (12) has been back to trying to stay on CAD, but he has such a difficult time losing weight, it's hard for him to stay motivated. He's gained some weight throughout the winter months and is now trying to get them back off. He's 5'1" and 145 lbs, currently. He was up to 150.

My younger son abhors the lo-carb lifestyle. He's skinny as a rail and he loves cereal, pancakes, etc. and trying to get him to just eat lo-carb is truly pulling teeth.

I did lo-carb throughout most of my pregnancy with my 4th child, and it helped quite a bit, but I'm still trying to lose the last 20 lbs. I can never lose weight when breastfeeding and have just weened my daughter. The weight is starting to come off, now.

My 3 year old daughter LOVES ham and cheese and is really eatingh a pretty lo-carb lifestyle. Hopefully, I can keep her going and train her up right. I didn't have the information when the other kids were young, or they might not be struggling with the problems they have now!

Wish we were doing better and could demonstrate to your viewers what a great option this is, but unfortunately, I don't think we're the IDEAL family to show how lo-carb works, even though we are trying to do it and I understand the benefits of it.

Best of luck in your effort to find that ideal family that has really discovered how to make this work.

JeannieF

tracy1
Fri, Jul-09-04, 13:13
Hey Jennie! I would love to chat with you about this! I think you would be great for what we are looking for ....I would love to go into more detail about the show! Please call me (toll free) 800-211-2171. I will then explain what we are looking for....I love the idea of going ahead and putting your 3 year old on it! It seems like the earlier you start, the better!!! Oh...call anytime...I will be off on Sat, but I will be working on Sunday!

Thanks,
Tracy Byrne
800-211-2171

tracy1
Tue, Jul-13-04, 13:45
Hey guys.....I think this is great for you to be so cautious about your childs weight! So many kids are overweight, I'm looking for someone to share their story with me about their childs low carb lifestyle! I'm very interested in this topic! Know anyone?????

Tracy:)

easylyvin
Tue, Jul-13-04, 14:00
You may want to check out a thread called "the family photos!!!" In the Triple Digits Club section. This family lost weight together, and their 9 year old boy lost 31 pounds! There are before and after photos. It may be an inspiration for your kids.

tracy1
Tue, Jul-13-04, 14:11
Will do!

Thanks for the help!

tracy

Finestof07
Mon, Jul-19-04, 16:26
Just thought I'd come and post in this thread.Back in 1999 I tried Atkins for the first time. And I did really great!!! I lost a lot of weight, and I even got down to a size 14. But I 10 and dumb; and I gave into peer pressure, that and my doc at the time said it would damage my kidneys. The years passed and a billion failed diets and pep talks later, I'm back again LCing. Sometimes it gets a little lonely, and occasionally I miss pepperoni pizza, but I don't want to be a slave to food forever. So for all the concerned parents out there considering putting their kids on a low-carb WOE I say go for it!!! I know peer pressure might sometimes get them down, but the results will be worth it.

Clauson
Sat, Jul-24-04, 19:14
I have 4 daughters ages 11, 9, 6 and 3. All of them are in the normal range for weight except for my 9-year old who is extremely thin. Anyway, the rule for all my children is that they must ask before they help themselves to food. They ask for a snack and then I give them several choices (apple, yogurt, cheese etc..) Believe me, even with my vigilence, they end up consuming much more sugar then I'd like, but I figure if I'm trying, they'll end up eating healthier. I don't worry about depriving my skinny girl junk food. She needs the healthy lower carb snacks as much or more than the others. She just doesn't have a big appetite so everything she puts into her mouth needs to count. Besides, I'm almost positive she has a low blood sugar problem.

This summer we've also started all of them on a voluntary running program. Each time they increase their distance they earn a reward like shopping or a meal out with mom. The 3 year old can run 1/2 mile, 1 mile for the 11 and 6 year old and 2 miles for the 9 year old. I am so proud of them.

I'm hoping if they eat reasonably healthy now, they'll be no need for dieting in the future. I do see the signs of a weight problem (judged by body type) for my 6 year old but she is getting slimmer all the time and I am encouraging her love of athletics.

It is true, when I'm eating healthier, everyone eats healthier.

I do have the advantage of being an at-home mom with time to make whole grain, higher protein bread, and plan well-rounded meals. I think it would be much tougher for a payroll mom.

All of you sound like you're making great efforts and I applaud you.

Jennifer

JeannieF
Sun, Jul-25-04, 09:19
My middle son (9 years old) is also very thin. His clothes fall off of him and he grows taller, but doesn't gain much weight. That doesn't indicate he does't have a problem with insullin levels or blood sugar, so you're smart to treat all the kids the same way.

It's tough on the 9 year old because he says, "I'm not fat! Why should I have to eat this way." My 12 year old is heavy, I'm heavy and my husband is heavy. My 3 year old is tiny with a small appetite, like your little girl. You're right again -- every bite counts when they don't eat much.
I do the same thing. "Would you like cheese, yogurt, ham rolls, blueberries or a nectorine?" They feel like they're in charge and you're still holding the reigns.

Way to go on the exercise program! How do you keep it all together? Do you run also?

Wishing you all the best of luck in raising kids with an appetite for healthy foods!

JeannieF