PDA

View Full Version : NEW! Fat burning oil ... DAG oil

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Trainerdan
Mon, Nov-26-01, 11:20
A novel product has been developed in Japan, called DAG oil (brand name: Healthy Econa Cooking Oil).

DAG oil is processed from soy and canola oils, but one of the three fatty acids is removed. Regular oil is fat in a liquid form and is comprised of a backbone molecule (glycerol) with three fatty acids at positions 1, 2, and 3. During digestion, fats and oils are taken apart and reassembled [by the body] before being transported to the liver for further processing.

Below is what I have gathered on DAG so far. Of course, if anyone comes across anything to add, feel free to add to this thread.

Also, if there is anyone on the board from Japan, I am VERY interested in buying 4 bottles of this product for my own use and experimentation ... private message me and we can arrange it.

Anyway, here we go:

- DAG is a food product that has received GRAS (generally recognized as safe) status from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. (1) The safety of DAG oil was studied and no adverse effects were noted. (2)

- DAG oil is similar to other fats and oils, but behaves in a very different fashion. It is nearly completely absorbed (3) but rather than being used for energy and storage the way most consumed fat is, DAG interferes with normal fat processing. This intereference has been shown to decrease fat stores within the liver and reduce total body fat.

- It has been shown to reduce both subcutaneous bodyfat (under the skin) and visceral bodyfat (in the abdomen, surrounding your organs). Decreasing subcutaneous fat has appearance benefits, decreasing visceral fat appears to have siognificant health benefits.

- DAG oil consumption is also associated with an increase in fat burning. It's not clear how this happens, but it has been shown that consumption of DAG oil increases beta-oxidation (a chemical term referring to the "burning" of fat for energy). (4) This finding seems to support the suggestion that the majority of the matabolic effects of DAG are due to its metabolite 1-monoglycerol (MAG). DAG contains two fatty acids, attached at the number 1 and number 3 positions. The number 3 position fatty acid can be removed and burned for energy and apparantly does so with great vigor. The fatty acid at the number 1 position is resistant to being moved. The DAG fragment, MAG, appears to be responsible for the matabolic effects of DAG oil. (5)

- Human studies with DAG oil have demonstrated the expected clinical effects. Daily use of DAG oil, at a dose of 10 grams per day, has been shown to significantly increase fat loss with a hypo-caloric diet [reduced calorie diet]. (6)

- When consuming a diet 500 - 800 calories under maintenance, that DAG group lost a greater amount of weight, including a reduction in both visceral and subcutaneous fat. These findings were supported by the results of a second, similar study. (7) Subcutaneous fat is the fat immediately under the skin, the fat that can be grabbed by using the "Special K" pinch [pinching a skinfold a the waist]. A loss of subcutaneous fat is the goal of bodybuilders, as it provides a clearer presentation of muscularity. Visceral fat is fat contained within the "gut" [around your internal organs] and is associated with many diseased states. By decreasing visceral fat, it's possible that health risks may be minimized. (6)

- A single dose study of DAG oil has also been published, looking at the effects of DAG consumption on fat levels in the blood following a meal. Consuming DAG, as opposed to fat, prevented an increase in blood fat levels. (8) A later study, looking at long term use of DAG, showed a decrease in blood fat levels in persons with elevated blood fats (serum triglycerides). (6, 9) Elevated triglycerides are associated with vascular problems such as heart attacks and strokes.

- DAG oil holds promise, but clearly further research is needed. Most of the research has been sponsored by the manufacturing company, which generally causes people to raise their eyebrows. Also, all of the studies have been conducted in Japan on the Japanese population. The studies were well designed, and included large numberrs of people, which are good signs. However, differences in diet, culture, and genetics may effect the results as this product makes its way to the American (and the WORLD) population.

- There is no doubt that DAG oil is a new approach to calorie control and fat reduction that holds great promise for long-term weight loss and health management. The use of DAG oil in conjunction with a hypo-caloric diet may soon provide an effective tool and its introduction is worth anticipating.

- The Japanese manufacturer of DAG oil (Kao Corporation)is currently working with an American company (Archer Daniels Midland) to produce DAG oil here in the United States, but no date has been set as to when we will see an American version of this product.

REFERENCES:

1. Rulis AM, Agency Response Letter GRAS Notice No. GRN 000056. Office of Premarket Approval, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. December 4, 2000.

2. Soni MG, Kimura H, et al. Chronic study of diaclyglycerol oil in rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2001 Apr; 39 (4): 317-29.

3. Taguchi H, Nagao T, et al. Energy value and digestability of dietary oil containing mainly 1,3-diaclyglycerol are similar to those of triglycerol. Lipids 2001 Apr; 36 (4): 379-82.

4. Murata M, Ide T, et al. Reciprial responses to dietary diaclyglycerol of hepatic enzymes of fatty acid synthesis and oxidation in rat. Br J Nutr 1997 Jan; 77 (1): 107-21.

5. Watanabe H, Nagao T, et al. Long-term effects of dietary diaclyglycerol on body fat matabolism in man. White paper provided by Kao Corporation via Archer Daniels Midland.

6. Katsuragi Y, Yoi T, et al. Effects of dietary diaclyglycerol on obesity and hyperlipidemia. White paper provided by Kao Corporation via Archer Daniels Midland.

7. Maki K, Davidson M, et al. Diaclyglycerol oil vs. soybean oil in a weight reduction diet. Obesity Res 2000 Oct; 8 (Suppl 1): 78S

8. Taguchi H, Watanabe H, et al. Double-blind controlled study on the effects of dietary diaclyglycerol on postpranadial serum and chylomicron triclyglycerol responses in healthy humans. J Am Coll Nutr 2000 Nov-Dec; 19 (6): 789-96

9. Watanabe H, Onizawa K, et al. Effects of DAG on lipid metabolism in human. White paper provided by Kao Corporation via Archer Daniels Midland.

IslandGirl
Mon, Nov-26-01, 13:58
Very interesting information on a product line in development. So interesting, in fact, that I've moved it here to the Technical Low Carbing\Research & Media forum.

You may wish to 'link' or point to this thread in the Excercise\CKD Forum and quite possibly the Local Support Groups Forum (for a response to your available-only-in-Japan product query)?

Thanks for letting us know about this. :wave:

doreen T
Mon, Nov-26-01, 14:15
Indeed, great article Dan! I'm curious to know if there are any adverse effects on absorption and utilisation of the fat-soluble vitamins, A, D, E & K.

Just a note - duplicating posts in multiple forums isn't the best plan. Different members may answer the post in one forum, while missing important discussion and replies that have take place in another forum. Best to keep the thread in one place, so that all relevant discussion also stays in one place. Using a link, however, is a terrific idea ;)

Doreen

John2001
Mon, Jan-28-02, 21:00
Kao Corporation and Archer Daniels Midland Company Announce Alliance
<http://www.kao.co.jp/e/corp_e/images/footbar.gif>

February 27, 2001

Kao Corporation and Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM) of the USA have signed a letter of intent to form a 50/50 joint venture for the manufacturing, marketing and sales of diacylglycerol (DAG) oil, the primary material in Healthy Econa Cooking Oil currently sold in Japan, as an ingredient for the food industry. The parties contemplate that ADM would construct a pilot plant to produce DAG oil at its Decatur, Illinois facility, which would be operational by November 2001. Future developments of this new joint venture will be announced by both companies in early 2001.

Kao is focusing on the expansion of its global business and its emphasis on healthcare as factors for future growth and sees this alliance with ADM as facilitating the speedy global expansion of the DAG oil business in line with company strategy.

ADM is well positioned to bring DAG oil to the US and global markets with its access to key markets and vast production capabilities. ADM sees DAG oil as indistinguishable in taste and appearance from conventional vegetable oils and tremendous potential in expanding into virtually all foods that contain vegetable oils, including frozen dinners, cookies, and savory snacks. DAG oil is an important addition to ADM's product range of functional foods to help address the number one health issue in America: obesity.

DAG oil, the primary material in Healthy Econa Cooking Oil, has been designated as Food for Specified Health Use (FOSHU) by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare (formerly called the Japanese Ministry of Public Welfare) for its innovative characteristics of preventing postprandial increase in serum triglycerides and accumulation of fat deposits. Clinical trials in the US have shown that individuals who consume foods containing DAG oil lose weight and fat mass significantly faster than those consuming conventional vegetable oils. Results from these studies were introduced at the conventions of the North American Association for the Study of Obesity (NAASO) and Japan Society for the Study of Obesity.

DAG oil was designated as GRAS (generally recognized as safe) by an outside panel of scientific experts whose conclusion was reviewed by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in December 2000, indicating acceptance of its safety in the United States.

Archer Daniels Midland Company
1) Representative: G. Allen Andreas, Chairman and CEO
John D. McNamara, President
2) Location: Illinois, USA
3) Business: ADM is engaged in the business of procuring, transporting, processing and marketing agricultural products. It is one of the world's largest processors of oilseeds, corn, wheat and cocoa, with over 23,000 employees worldwide, 368 processing plants.
4) Sales: Net sales for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2000 of $18.6 billion.

Please direct inquiries to:
Public Relations Department
Kao Corporation
Tel: 03-3660-7043
Fax: 03-3660-7044

(From abroad)
Tel: +81-3-3660-7043
Fax: +81-3-3660-7044

John2001
Mon, Jan-28-02, 21:14
This one is long. Here's the link:

http://www.preparedfoods.com/archives/2001/2001_6/0601healthyoiltrends.htm

Trainerdan
Tue, Jun-04-02, 16:36
Haven't seen any news on this from Archer Midland recently, but I just ran into an old friend who has an import business nearby ... and she imports lots of Japanese goods ... :-)

So I gave her the info on the DAG oil, and she is going about checking into it and seeing availability, cost, etc.

I'll post future news here for those interested.

reklaw99
Wed, Jun-26-02, 20:54
You can purchase Econa DAG oil from
http://www.maruwa.com/onlineshop/spice/spice.html
Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) will soon be offering this oil
in the U.S.

Trainerdan
Thu, Jun-27-02, 04:54
I love the members of this board!

Thanks for that reklaw! I'll be checking it out soon.

DebPenny
Thu, Jun-27-02, 11:01
Not to throw water on your excitement over this product, but I didn't see anything about a study on low-carb (higher fat and protein and calorie) food consumption or even "normal" food consumption. It said that it significantly increased fat burning in a 500-800 calorie diet and lowers triglycerides, which we know low-fat diets don't do, of course. I'm sorry, but we all know that's not the way to lose weight or be healthy.

And my triglycerides have been lowered and I am burning fat on a low-carb program.

Why should I replace my natural, cold-pressed olive oil and butter with this modified/processed oil? What makes this oil so great for the average or low-carb eater? Also, by taking out that middle fatty acid are they reducing the nutritional value of the oil? This doesn't sound all that great to me.

;-Deb

pegm
Thu, Jun-27-02, 11:20
They have two Ekona oils listed -- one for cholesterol and one for fat. Do you know which one is the correct one? Seems like from the info that 1 oil should do both. Are they the same?

Thanks for your help.

Lisa N
Thu, Jun-27-02, 15:14
DebPenny...

I think you may have misread the article. It says 500-800 calories below maintainance...not 500-800 calories total. You're right, though... 500-800 calories a day would not be wise under any circumstances.

Trainerdan
Thu, Jun-27-02, 19:17
Well, this thread is finally seeing some action ...

These are the reasons why DAG oil is appealing to me (from my original post):

- DAG oil is similar to other fats and oils, but behaves in a very different fashion. It is nearly completely absorbed (3) but rather than being used for energy and storage the way most consumed fat is, DAG interferes with normal fat processing. This intereference has been shown to decrease fat stores within the liver and reduce total body fat.

I am always looking for a way to decrease my bodyfat stores ... but that's just me.

I don't intend to give up any of my other sources of fat. I just plan to add this to the mix. I mean, adding 10g of this oil per day is 2T. of oil. That's a salad dressing. No sweat. I think I can substitute this into my meal planning as a substitute for some of my flax or olive oil without upsetting the universe. :p

To each their own ...

DebPenny
Fri, Jun-28-02, 10:14
Thanks for the clarification, Lisa. As Trainerdan said, "To each his own." As far as I'm concerned, it's just one more fake food. I'll stick with the natural foods I eat on TSP.

And one more question: I don't remember exactly the description of trans fats, but doesn't taking out a fatty acid make this a trans fat?

;-Deb

reklaw99
Tue, Jul-16-02, 21:21
Leaving out one fatty acid does not make it a trans fatty acid.
A trans fatty acid is the geometry of a unsaturated portion of a fatty acid or the angle of the double bond and the single bond on each side. For brevity I only show a small segment of a fatty acid

.....C-C=C-C.....
(C) is a carbon atom, ( = )is a double bond or unsaturated site ,
( - ) is a single bond

The natural geometry is in a U shape or CIS position,in other words the first carbon atom (C) is angled up and the last carbon atom is angled up. In unprocessed(no high temperature exposure or partial hydrogenation) fatty acids with a double bond is in the CIS configuration and occurs 100% of the time.

In a Trans fatty acid the first carbon atom( C ) shown is angled up and the last carbon atom is angled down . This results in a shape of a lazy s or ~ (tilde) called Trans configuration. Trans fatty acids are the result of heating the oil to a high temperature or hydrogenating the oil. Hydrogenation eliminates some or all of the double bonds ( unsaturated sites)
The FDA will soon require labeling of the amount of trans fatty acids in foods. These Trans fatty acids are suspect in cardiovascular disease as well as other heath issues . To my undersatanding , trans fatty acids get into your system and become incorporated in cells .The problem is that the geometry
of trans fatty acids is incorrect to properly function in metbolic systems. There are some good sites out there about trans fatty acids.
Man .... can i get long winded.

reklaw99
Tue, Jul-16-02, 21:47
To address the issue of DAG oil. My understanding is that all triglycerides ( animal or vegitable fats) and Diglycerides
( Diacylglycerides{Dag oil} and some components of olive oil) are broken up into glycerin and fatty acids during metabolism. These components that are not used as energy are reassymbled in the epithelial cells of the small intestine as fats . From there the fats can be stored as human fat in the omentium and on the hips ( major adipose storage sites) .
Dag oil has a missing fatty acid and therefore disrupts this fat reassembly and is available for energy usage only through metabolism in the liver. I believe that DAG oil would be effective when used with a low caloric diet regiem to reduce adipose fat storage. In the Japanese studies the target subjects were obese.
I have used 1 bottle DAG oils to repace oil used in salad dressings and baking.
I have not use it enough to comment on effectiveness.

pegm
Thu, Aug-15-02, 11:53
Has anyone tried the DAG oil? What were your results? Any problems?

Thanks,

Peg

KEETO
Fri, Aug-16-02, 09:34
I have been using Healthy Econa Oil for two weeks. I need at least 3 months to give a real breakdown. TrainerDan I can send it to you 7.00 dollars a bottle plus shipping. So far I am using it like a "mazola spray" You should check out the Okinawa lifestyle, it benifits us bodybuilders.

Schwarz
Sat, Aug-17-02, 18:32
I sure don't know anything about olestra (I think that's what it's called), but what little I've heard about it, it sure sounds like a disgusting product. Are there any similarities this DAG oil has to olestra?

reklaw99
Sat, Aug-17-02, 20:22
There are no similarities between DAG oil and olestra
Olestra has a problem with bring metabolised or breaking down.
It is similar to ingesting mineral oil , it will just go through your digestive system unaffected . Dag oil on the other hand is broken down in you digestive system just like any vegitable or animal fat (triglyceride).

ferrando
Wed, Aug-21-02, 20:47
I wonder how DAG compares with MCT Oil, the fraction of Medium Chain Triglycerides that have been used for some time by body builders and that has a history of safe hospital use and some studies that it lowers blood cholesterol.

Readers should do an internet search on Medium Chain Triglycerides to get all the opinions, but it is an odorless, colourless oil that can be used in cooking (but not frying).

It is slightly lower in calories than other fats and oils, but like the claims made for DAG, it digests almost instantly through the liver and provides a boost in energy about 15 minutes after eating.

The other interesting thing about MCT Oil is that the body generally will not utilize it for storage.

One of the things that MCT Oil does (and this may be true of DAG as well) is that it triggers ketosis, because it forces the body to use energy from fat.

I've been using MCTs now for about 4 months. One of the main things I find besides the added energy and endurance (on long bike rides), is that when I'm really hungry and eating low carb a bit of MCT Oil makes me feel "fed" sooner.

One of the drawbacks of Low Carb eating is that it takes a longer time for low carb foods to raise energy, so we may overeat. With some MCT Oil mixed with my olive oil in a salad, I almost instantly lose that "I'm starving" feeling and can push myself away from the table sooner.

It would be great if DAG offers similar benefits and has other positive qualities as well.

nikkiend
Tue, Aug-27-02, 12:51
I would love to hear any results that anyone may have with the DAG oil. Anyone been using it long enough?

EricaSaxon
Tue, Aug-27-02, 15:04
I'm kinda curious how you stumbled across this in the first place, TrainerDan!
The posts in this thread are fascinating, but I have to admit that the science is a little beyond me. . .
I'n unclear, though. The ADM sites indicate that the DAG oil reduces fats in the bloodstream after a meal, but don't claim any effects on adipose tissue. Soooo. . . my question is, since I use bottled oil very rarely, should I just gulp down the DAG in addition to my ordinary fat intake on a daily basis, or only use it when I would ordinarily use another oil? Do you have to replace other fats, or can you just eat 2 teaspoons?
I was just wondering how you found the sources you credit.
You must be a lot better at internet research than I am! I would like to read the full text on "6. Katsuragi Y, Yoi T, et al. Effects of dietary diaclyglycerol on obesity and hyperlipidemia. White paper provided by Kao Corporation via Archer Daniels Midland ."
Anyhow, thanks for bringing it to light!

chevi97
Wed, Aug-28-02, 17:56
Originally posted by Trainerdan
I love the members of this board!

Thanks for that reklaw! I'll be checking it out soon.
I didnt see it on that link what is the name of the product????

EricaSaxon
Thu, Aug-29-02, 09:44
Originally posted by reklaw99
You can purchase Econa DAG oil from
http://www.maruwa.com/onlineshop/spice/spice.html
Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) will soon be offering this oil
in the U.S.
It's near the bottom of the page, look for:
Ekona Healthy Cooking Oil For Care Of Fat

Trainerdan
Thu, Aug-29-02, 10:13
Hi Erica!

I came across it from a tip in a newsletter I get I think. LOL. I get some many magazines, trade, tips from fellow bodybuilders, etc that I forget my sources sometimes. LOL.

Then I started researching it.

Anyway, I am ordering it today and adding it with olive oil to make salad dressing.

I plan to use it in my coming off-season to assist in fending off fat gain while I increase my calorie intake to boost muscle mass.

I know what I usually gain as fat in the off-season, so I can use that as a very unscientific marker of progress.

delilah
Thu, Aug-29-02, 10:13
I notice that the company that's selling it is based in San Francisco and has a storefront. I know the area they're talking about (Japantown), so I might have to wander down there and check it out. :)

I too would be curious to know the research on its reaction with other fats as well as with the fat soluable vitamins.

And where does one get MCT oil? a bodybuilding store or GNC? Do you have any links about it?

nikkiend
Thu, Aug-29-02, 12:00
Hi Keeto. Have you been using the DAG oil? I see you're offering to send it to TrainerDan. If I decide to buy some can I order it from you? I'm waiting for some results from people before I decide whether to order it or not.
My niece and her husband are in Okinawa since the holidays. He's stationed there.

ferrando
Thu, Aug-29-02, 15:15
In Vancouver MCT Oil is sold in stores that cater to body-builders and athletes. Some vitamin stores sell MCT Fuel which unfortunately for LC has been diluted with carbs and orange flavour. When you figure out the MCT content of the flavoured MCT, it's much more expensive than the pure stuff they sell in the body building stores.

You can also check with a nutritionist at a local hospital and they can tell you where they get it. It is widely used in hospitals particularly those with geriatric wards.

I've been using it now for almost 2 months. I mix it 50-50 with olive oil and also use it in low carb baked items.

Ferrando

bike2work
Thu, Aug-29-02, 15:42
Originally posted by delilah
And where does one get MCT oil? a bodybuilding store or GNC? Do you have any links about it?

I found it on netrition.com; the link is on the side of every page in this forum. What they have is not diluted and does not have any carbs or sweeteners but does have "natural" tropical fruit flavor. I'm toying with the idea of trying it myself. Then I remember the flax oil and coconut oil I bought and can't bear to swallow. Maybe the flavoring would help.

chevi97
Thu, Aug-29-02, 16:20
Originally posted by bike2work

I found it on netrition.com; the link is on the side of every page in this forum. What they have is not diluted and does not have any carbs or sweeteners but does have "natural" tropical fruit flavor. I'm toying with the idea of trying it myself. Then I remember the flax oil and coconut oil I bought and can't bear to swallow. Maybe the flavoring would help.
Have you ever tried adding Flax seed oil to a protein shake you cant even taste it...

KEETO
Fri, Aug-30-02, 05:32
:wave: Hi NIKKIEND, I have been using Healthy Econa Oil on a daily basis as a spritzer(I told trainerdan like a mazola spray). Like I said I would like 3 months to fully evaluate it. Premature findings show no gastric issues(like Olestra), no weight gain, and 0.5 percent body fat loss(although I can't say it's the Econa because I weight train regularly,and keep my fat grams under 15 a day,too strict really). I also have to tell you that when I started my bodyfat was 14.2, so I may achieve slower results. I will keep the forum updated. Since I am living in Okinawa I work with some Okinawans who have translated the "nutritional info". It is much easier to understand when they explain it. Any questions please ask and I will try to get them translated. I can offer it for less than normal because it is a personal transaction and use an APO/FPO address. Total cost would be approximatly 10.00 a bottle and would take about 6 months to a year to use if spritzed like I use it. If you HAVE to deep fry order two and seperate them. Of course, refrigerate. I will update as needed.

KEETO
Fri, Aug-30-02, 05:37
:roll: Sorry I forgot Evertything in moderation!! My Motto!!

KEETO
Wed, Sep-11-02, 11:22
so no inquires in 2 weeks?????????????????????? :confused:

nikkiend
Wed, Sep-11-02, 12:03
Keeto,
I'm still waiting for someone to reply who has used it long enough to say if it really works or not...

pegm
Wed, Sep-11-02, 18:45
I, too, am waiting to see if anyone has good results -- seems like I already spend so much on vitamins, protein powder, etc. that I don't want to buy anything unless I'm sure it works.

nikkiend
Thu, Sep-12-02, 06:17
Peg,
Amen to that one!

KEETO
Mon, Sep-16-02, 10:22
I understand, I just wan :roll: ted to know if there were any thoughts or questions.

mojoKID
Wed, Oct-30-02, 18:11
Can DAG Oil be used for frying ? Or just as a spray type oil, on salads, or sometimes my protein pancake recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of oil.

I hope you can fry with it, I'd rather not down it tablespoon style

ferrando
Wed, Oct-30-02, 19:51
I'm not sure why there is so much interest in DAG Oil when it's characteristics are just about the same as MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) Oil that has been around and used in hospitals for years. MCT oil digests primarily through the liver so it provides energy with minimal storage in adipose tissue.

MCT Oil is stable up to about 300 degrees Fahrenheit. I guess you could saute lightly with it, but it can be added to pancakes, and other batter based foods and smoothies.

This afternoon I did not have time to eat so I took 3 teaspoons straight (no taste but the feel of oil is kind of yucky). In a few minutes my hunger was gone and it's dinner time and I'm still not hungry.

If you can find Organic (un hydrogenated) coconut butter (I can hear the screams of terror, but read Dr. Mary Enig who debunks with real science the propaganda put out mainly by the hydrogenated soy oil lobby), it is the best thing for frying. It has a very high burn temperature, you need less of it than regular oil, it has only 7 instead of 9 calories per gram (negligible) and it is almost 1/2 MCT Oil. So about half the Coconut butter you eat will give you nearly instant energy and will not end up added to your adipose tissue.

By the way, when you eat MCT Oil the liver converts it to energy by creating ketones. Some people reckon that if you are keep carbs in check that MCTs can trigger ketosis when your body may be resisting. I don't use Keto sticks any more, but someone might want to test this.

Ferrando.

mojoKID
Wed, Oct-30-02, 20:07
Thanks Ferrando,

I will take your advice, however I just purchased 3 bottles of DAG oil, so I will run through those first and then give them MCT a try. I think I bought it before without realizing it, when I first started doing low-carb / keto, I bought a lot of low carb stuff, one was keto butta, and I thought it was gonna be like regular butter, but it was an oil, I think I have it still somewhere.

Is this the same thing or is it an MCT, if so I guess I can try that first!

Ryan

ferrando
Wed, Oct-30-02, 20:46
Hi Ryan:

I've never tried Keto Buttah but immediately looked it up after you mentioned it. It is flavoured MCT Oil. Somebody else also makes an orange (yuk) flavoured version.

MCT Oil itself has no taste at all, so my approach is to add it to my low carb pancakes, low carb breads, and also to mix it with other oils to give it a flavour.

Also we need certain fats in our diet. The Essential Fatty Acids like flax oil and fish oils are an absolute must. Also what would life be without a bit of olive oil dribbled over feta cheese. I mix the best virgin olive oil I can find with 50% MCT Oil. The MCT oil prevents the Olive oil from going granular in the refrigerator and there's enough flavour in the Olive to make the MCT Oil quite pleasant. I also mix MCT oil in the blender with regular creamery butter. I use about 60% MCT and 40% butter. The resulting "spread" is very spreadable at refrigerator temperature and melts at room temperature. It's a better flavour than artificial butter flavour. On low carb diets a little butter will not hurt us as long as we don't go overboard and as long as our main fats are from the Omega 3 and 6 families.

Good luck with the DAG Oil and let us know if it does something that MCTs don't do. There's always room for improvement.

Ferrando

KEETO
Sun, Nov-17-02, 05:36
Actually the version sold here in Japan CAN be used safely in frying. I am proud to report as a bodybuilder since starting my stint w/ Healthy Econa Oil I have gone from 14.2% bodyfat to 12.6% bodyfat(no other changes have been made) . I have only used it as a spray so the way I see it, the possibilities are endless. That is my personal prognosis, try it at your own risk.

V/R,
Keeto

instynct99
Wed, Nov-20-02, 10:08
KEETO--

would you be so kind as to contact me via e-mail at instynct999~yahoo.com in regards to DAG oil

i have a question or two and would like if possible to purchase through you

many thanks/instynct

emat
Wed, Nov-20-02, 13:37
Hi Keeto,
If I read correctly a while back, you mentioned you try to keep your fat intake to 15g or lower...I'm assuming you are eating low carb, so what are you eating to make up all of those additional calories?? What do you think your nutrient composition is like? Just curious...I'm new to the low carb world
thanks! :)

instynct99
Wed, Nov-20-02, 15:25
btw i am sure you could tell anyway, but that e-mail is instynct999~yahoo.com

i also have access to some great fat loss products at low!! prices so we can discuss that if interested

thanks

reklaw99
Thu, Dec-05-02, 20:29
Here is the ADM web site for Enova cooking oil.
This has a good explanation of how it works.

http://www.enovaoil.com

drewrosen
Fri, Jun-20-03, 05:02
Does Anyone know where I can purchase MCT, DAG or Enova oils?

drewrosen
Fri, Jun-20-03, 05:04
Does Anyone know where I can purchase MCT, DAG or Enova oils?

TarHeel
Fri, Jun-20-03, 05:33
Click on the link in reklaw99's post just above yours and you can see which stores in Chicago and Ga/SC carry it, as well as how to order Enova oil online.

Kay

KEETO
Thu, Jul-24-03, 08:27
emat,
sorry I haven't been on in so long. I do eat low carb (ie: no pasta,rice,bread, etc.). I eat alot of Okinawan based foods. Sashimi and a varied seaweed salad is a staple. Goya (bitter melon) either stir fried or juiced. And lastly fruits with non-fat cottage cheese in the morning and MASSIVE vegetables (raw or lightly steamed) in the afternoon. I average about one cup of vegies every hour until 7 p.m. Lots of water here for extra hydration (64 ounces + because of humidity). Of course multi-vitamin and magma green with my goya juice. I am still using Econa Oil (witch by the way can be bought in the U.S. now in a few cities and on the web under the name Enova. If you have problems I will still help to send it to you until Feb 2004 and then I will be transfering) I have met my goal (and then some) 132 Lbs. and 13% BF now. The reason for my slight gain in BF is because I broke my foot 3 months ago so cardio has been impossible. I did keep up my strength training though and now I am all healed and back in the game! :angel:

V/R

dogbone1
Sun, Oct-10-04, 14:10
Econa Healthy Oil is now being sold in the United States through a join project by the Japanese Import company (Kao) and Archer Daniels Midland.

The US version is called "Enova Oil". I bought some at my local Acme Supermarket yesterday and made l/c fried chicken. It was fantastic-- and NO side effects at all.

More info is available at: www.enovaoil.com

This stuff is not a fake fat like Olean (ie, there will be no anal leakage :barf: ).

Anyway, I don`t do lots of deep frying, but its good to know that when I have acraving for it, there is a better oil to use!!

-DB

Nancy LC
Sun, Oct-10-04, 14:19
This sounds like another "too good to be true" thing.

dogbone1
Sun, Oct-10-04, 14:22
How Enova Works:

www.enovaoil.com]Your[/url] body breaks down the fat in foods into components the intestine can absorb. These components are called fatty acids. Then the intestine rebuilds the fatty acids into fat molecules and combines them into packets that are sent to the bloodstream, to be stored in body tissues. But your body doesn’t treat all fats quite the same, and that’s why Enova oil is so special.

Traditional cooking oils consist mostly of fat molecules called triacylglycerols, or TAGs, with a small amount of diacylglycerols, or DAGs. Enova oil consists mostly of DAGs. TAGs carry three fatty acids on a backbone molecule; DAGs carry two fatty acids in the first and second positions on the backbone (1,2 DAGs) or in the first and third positions (1,3 DAGs). Your body breaks down Enova oil and traditional TAG oils exactly the same way and absorbs the resulting fatty acids into the intestine.

Enova oil consists of 80% DAGs. Seventy percent of these DAGs are the (1,3) form of diacylglycerol. Due to the shape of the (1,3) DAG molecules, enzymes in the intestine can't recombine the pieces of this fat into fat molecules, so less fat is passed into the bloodstream to be stored in the body. Since about 56% of Enova oil is (1,3) DAG fat, that means the majority of the fats in Enova oil aren't stored as fat in the body. Instead, the metabolized pieces of this fat are sent to the liver, where they're oxidized - burned as energy. Conventional vegetable oils cannot claim that.

ItsTheWooo
Sun, Oct-10-04, 18:35
How Enova Works:

Even if that is true... wouldn't you have to eat it in isolation of other foods/fats to get the benefit, since those other foods might be supplying the missing "pieces"?

dogbone1
Mon, Oct-11-04, 10:10
Even if that is true... wouldn't you have to eat it in isolation of other foods/fats to get the benefit, since those other foods might be supplying the missing "pieces"?

Good point....I`m just theorizing here, but if other foods provide the "missing links" for the Enova, wouldn't those foods then be deprived of their full molecular composites? If there is an overall deprivation of this "link", unless you ate something that had an excess of whatever it is, you would still have the insufficient quantity regardless of which food product it is missing from, right?

Dunno if that makes sense, or if it has any basis.

In any case, the studies and stuff about Enova are all available on the link in their website. www.enovaoil.com.

Woo, I see that you are pretty good with figuring this stuff out (I read your very helpful and intelligent discussion of Dreamfields technology), so if you can make sense of this oil, and figure out whether it`s for real or not, I would definitely want to see what you think!

-db

Nancy LC
Mon, Oct-11-04, 10:22
Well, even though I'm extremely skeptical, I'm still a sucker. I ordered 4 bottles from the Enova site. *sigh*

dogbone1
Mon, Oct-11-04, 10:24
Well, even though I'm extremely skeptical, I'm still a sucker. I ordered 4 bottles from the Enova site. *sigh*

Worse comes to worse, you wont have any side effects, and you can just use it like regular oil....besides, there aren`t any carbs in it. :lol: :wave:

Built
Mon, Oct-11-04, 10:57
I believe you cannot deep-fry with it though - I understand that you can't let it get higher than 300 F.

Chipperoo
Mon, Oct-11-04, 13:22
Well, I've been lucky. I've been getting a steady supply of this Enova DAG oil from a local discount food store for much cheaper than in the supermarket.

Also, it states on the bottle "recommended frying temp. is 375, avoid overheating oil above 420".

I just use it in shakes mostly, when I need added fat. Or off the spoon, it's about tasteless. I LIKE the taste of ex-virgin olive oil in salad and this DAG oil is still too expensive to me to fry with, although I don't personally eat hardly any fried food, I saute with the olive oil mostly also.

dogbone1
Mon, Oct-11-04, 13:24
I deep fried chicken in it earlier this week. Worked for me-- no weird burns, scents, tastes or other recognizable issues.

-db

Built
Mon, Oct-11-04, 13:32
My bad - I think I was thinking about MCT oil. I wonder if the healthful benefits of DAG oil are lost at frying temperatures, as is the case for many other oils? I seem to remember reading that EFAs become trans at high temperatures...?

BD231
Mon, Oct-11-04, 14:03
So what's better, DAG or MCT??