PDA

View Full Version : pregnacy and your low carb menue

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sadia
Mon, Aug-15-05, 01:09
hi
i just found out that i am pregnant
i started induction on 29th of july and did clean induction for two weeks andnow i found out i am pregnant,so now i have to up my carbs to stay out of ketosis
i only lost 6 lbs on induction ,i think it was because i was pregnant

well now i am finding it difficult to eat carbs and altogether i feel good when i am eating the same things i used to eat on induction

i want to know how to up my carbs and what to eat to make my carbs level up to normal for pergnancy
i don't want to put on any weight in the preganacy ,infacrt i want to lose because my last pregnancy brought this weight and i am scared that i will become fat and fat again and will not be able to lose

one more thing do u people watch your calories too while low carbing and pregnant ,like i am eating cheese and adding cream in my tea instead of milk
or should i start using fat free milk

i am so confussed about what to do either do low carb during pregnancy or low fat or both and restrict my fat intake too
i am desparate and does not want to end up in gestational diabetes and any other problems
i really need good advice from all of u expert low carbers

dane
Mon, Aug-15-05, 02:54
What I will do (or try to do, depending on morning sickness, bleah) during my next pregnancy is: meat, veggies (all), fruit, whole milk, unrefined grains, healthy fats (ie no hydrogenated fats, no margarine), little to no sugar. Try to eat some protein, some carb, and some fat for every meal. Get some exercise......walking is great. Don't stress about it! Some weight gain is normal, but if you can keep the crap food binges at bay, you won't need to worry about excess poundage, :)

A very low carb diet, like Atkins induction and OWL, are wonderful tools that you can use when you are postpartum. Read your Atkins book (I assume you have it, right?) where he discusses maintenance.......this is a good place to start.

Congratulations, BTW!!!

sadia
Mon, Aug-15-05, 03:48
hi
i have read the book and it says stay on the maintance level of carbs
so what i understan is all veges and fruits to keep the carbs at that levels
so what about fats
i am afraid of fats and cheeses
which i was consuming on induction as frying my meat and eggs and cream and mayo and salad dressing

so i just need to look for the carbs same as i did on induction but to the limt of 50 to 100gm
am i right
my meals should be off some protien
vegees and fruits
plus little bit of fat and no complex carbs like wheat and white flour which i have so long said goodbye\
waiting for the reply

dane
Mon, Aug-15-05, 04:05
I'd suggest keeping carbs in the 100-150g level. Whole wheat bread, oatmeal, rice, corn, potaotes are fine, but small portions. Like 2 slices of bread (LC bread would be good), 1/2c cooked oatmeal, 1/4 cup of other cooked starches. One portion of these starches per meal.

Meat.....whatever you like, cooked however (although deep fat frying isn't very healthy, :( )..... maybe 3-6oz per meal.

Milk....2 cups a day.

Fruit---2 or 3 pieces a day.

Veggies....unlimited........eat up!

Fats....2T or so of regular salad dressing (olive oil base is best, IMO);a T of mayo in your egg salad; a T or so of oil to cook with, or a pat of butter on your veggies, don't go crazy.

Cheese...2-3oz a day (or less, but I wouldn't do more.)

I'd not use cream, or at least VERY little.....it's very calorie dense, and easy to overdo, and when you raise your carbs a bit, you should always drop your fat a bit, too.

These are just general guidelines I am going to stick to when I next conceive..............try it out, and then adjust things according to your needs and preferences.

The big thing that will pack on the pounds is having a fat/refined binge too often. Example.......a doughnut once a week won't kill you, but a whole box will. Just try to eat whole foods you cook yourself, and stay away from packaged junk, fast food, and take-away. :)

TigerSue has a thread in this forum for pregnant low carbers......you should check it out......there are a bunch of ladies in your exact same situation there, and I bet you find lots of advice and support. :)

tigersue
Mon, Aug-15-05, 15:35
I don't worry about the fats or the protiens, the baby needs fats and protiens for proper nervous system development. I lc with my last baby keeping my carbs at about 90 to 120 a day. I did have gestational diabetes, and I have to watch my sugars and generall 15 to 20gms carb per meal is good for me. I generally don't gain weight during the pregnancy when I eat this way, but I'm 50 lbs up on you at this point. You should be able to gain 10 to 20lbs and be okay, that is what I did with my first one, and most of that was 3rd trimester when I followed the ADA diet for my diabetes, since I would not recommend that you shouldn't gain that much. Again don't fret about calories, fats, or protiens, eat all the non starchy veggies you like, and what good carbs you need to get throuhg 1st trimester if you have morning sickness. You can do this well and safely, if you like how you feel with what you are eating particularily induction foods, I wouldn't sweat it. Many women are in ketosis because they are so sick, I don't like being in ketosis, but it shouldn't hurt the baby. If it is not good for you, it is not good for the baby, pure and simple.
congratulations and good luck,
Tanya

sadia
Mon, Aug-15-05, 18:32
thank ypu
for the advise i really feel good now and i think i know what to do
laast night i was in shock of pregnacy and then all the rerun of the last pregnancy the weight gain the bloating
so i was afraid i will end up like last time
but this time round i have found the answer and hope fully all is wellthat ends well
i fi fee god eating induction foods i will do that plus i will add some good carbs in the from of fruits etc( if i feel like it )
cause ifeel nausea on the thought of food
let alone eat it
so i will be around

aeburse4
Tue, Aug-16-05, 07:49
It is absolutely essential to get at LEAST 100 carbs a day when you are pregnant, otherwise your bodywill break down your levels of ammonium, which could damage your embryo. Your level of protien should be about 20%.

tigersue
Tue, Aug-16-05, 13:20
No you don't need at least 100 gms of carbs, at least 60, because that will and should keep you out of ketosis, and don't worry about the protien, again, that is what your baby needs to grow, you will not damage your embryo with Ketosis. There are many cultures who are in ketosis all the time and have healthy babies. IT is important to feel good, and to eat balanced when you can. When food is yuck do the best. Once again, I had a very healthy baby with my last pregnancy, she is 15 months old, and she was my healthiest, my smallest, (after my 3rd with GD, when usually they get bigger), and has done wonderfully.
I am a nurse, a baby nurse at that, and the more I read and study the more I think we are doing mothers in this country wrong by saying they have to gain X number of pounds, and eat so much carb, I was not puffy with my last baby, I'm not too bad with this one so far, and I have been the past while because of being sick with bronchitis and the summer heat, but now that I'm starting to feel better, and eat lc better again, that has gone down and I have lost 3 to 4 pounds back to my posted weight. I do agree that 100 gms makes it an easy count but I don't fret if somedays I eat less. It is more important to keep that insulin in control and your BS, so you do have a healthy baby, that is more damaging to you and the baby, than worring about ketosis. As far as healthy carbs, you really don't need fruit, but nuts are great, I lived on almonds with my last baby, they are full of calcium and magnesium and a good balance of carb and protien. Look at those kinds of options, I also don't drink much milk I prefer to get my calcium from cheese and other source, and I take a calcium supplement.
I also use cream when I can, because I am not afraid of fats, we are too paranoid in this society that fats are the problem, it is not fats that are bad, it is excess carb intake that causes the problems.
good luck
Tanya

Meg_S
Sat, Oct-01-05, 11:16
Just poking my nose in - Tigersue really knows what she's talking about :) She's our local "expert" and we've been really lucky to have her pregnant with us, sharing advice!!

dane
Sun, Oct-02-05, 01:33
It is absolutely essential to get at LEAST 100 carbs a day when you are pregnant, otherwise your bodywill break down your levels of ammonium, which could damage your embryo. Your level of protien should be about 20%.
Since you bumped this thread, Meg, I would be really interested if aeburse4 would post the studies that back up her claim.

tigersue
Sun, Oct-02-05, 17:33
Most people just seem to feel that we must eat differently when we are pregnant. I have yet to figure that out. I just have found that if I eat plenty of veggies, good meats and good fats I do fine. I have to admit I have not been GOOD at all this pregnancy so I bet I have a bigger baby. I just haven't felt well enough and enjoyed the things I normally enjoy to feel that kind of good.
Tanya