PDA

View Full Version : Iowa or midwest

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lori
Fri, Nov-23-01, 22:23
I'm a newbie in Cedar Falls, IA. Just wondering if anyone else is close to my area. I would love to have some low carb pals.

Lori :D

spatzei
Tue, Nov-27-01, 14:34
Hi Lori!

I am located just north of Milwaukee, WI and am also looking for a buddy too!

Here is my email address:
spatzei~hnet.net

Cheers! :roll:
deb

Roxygirl
Fri, Nov-30-01, 05:26
Hey there,

I read your post from Spatzei, I live in Milwaukee. If you guys want to chat give me a hollar. Im a new one to. My email is
rsmith_29~hotmail.com Id love to here from you.

Roxy :dazzle:

spatzei
Fri, Nov-30-01, 07:05
Hey there Roxy!

Thanks for the post. I know that if you keep up with checking out this website as often as you can and keeping a journal - you will do great! :thup: Glad to see that there is somebody on this board finally from my neck of the woods! :cheer:

Cheers! :dazzle:
deb

Holly G
Sat, Dec-01-01, 13:49
:cool:
I am from Omaha, NE. Have been doing LC for just a few weeks after taking a several month vacation. I would love buddy's from anywhere. I have joined the Turtle Club and gotten lots of motivation. I am definitely a SLOOOOOOOW loser and for a long time, I felt like it was just me. Now I know that there are lot's of others out there just like me and I've learned this past couple weeks to concentrate on how good I am feeling instead of the numbers. I was down to 145 and I cheated for a few days and leaned to the left on the scale, but this morning, I decided to get honest and stand up straight and add the lbs back on my profile. :mad: Have you done Atkins before, Lori?

ShelleyB
Thu, Dec-27-01, 15:12
I am just starting off today. I am from the Kansas City, KS area. Look forward to getting to know you. I am one of those people that will not do it if I don't have people checking up on me.

Shelley

Holly G
Fri, Dec-28-01, 04:42
Welcome. I know you will get alot out of this forum. I hear you about needing support. The holidays were rough. I stuck to the LC real well and was able to pass up most of the treats and goodies but I caved at the movie last Saturday and had pop corn which is my huge downfall. But I have just eaten too much of the right food too this past few days. I definitely need to get remotivated. It looks like we are just about the same weight. Mine says 143 but have been scared to weigh. Think I might have crept back up. I would welcome an email buddy to keep a daily journal with if you are interested let me know. My address is ahendrah~home.com.
:wave:

sheri2kids
Fri, Feb-01-02, 08:42
Hi Lori

I have just moved here so I have no Idea where I am compared to you, I am in Spirit Lake. We just moved here form Manitoba, Canada. I started LC about a month ago (for the second time) If you are still interested I would love to hear back from you!!

Sheri :wave:

ryple
Fri, Feb-01-02, 14:22
I need help restarting. (I just typed this LONG post, when I tried to review it, I lost it, so this will be shorter.)
I had a 40lb quick weight loss last year. :yay: My success buoyed me through with little support from other lowcarbers.
well, I've been on and off the diet in the last 6 months and have been on faithfully 3wks now with no appreciable loss. i'm going to the beach in 1 1/2 weeks, (read: swimsuit--ACK!) and wish I could have taken off a few pounds in a month.
This midwest group seemed to have a little in common with my start/current/goal weight---so I thought I'd post my 1st message on this forum here.
HI!

ryple
Mon, Mar-11-02, 14:20
Originally posted by ryple
I need help restarting. (I just typed this LONG post, when I tried to review it, I lost it, so this will be shorter.)
I had a 40lb quick weight loss last year. :yay: My success buoyed me through with little support from other lowcarbers.
well, I've been on and off the diet in the last 6 months and have been on faithfully 3wks now with no appreciable loss. i'm going to the beach in 1 1/2 weeks, (read: swimsuit--ACK!) and wish I could have taken off a few pounds in a month.
This midwest group seemed to have a little in common with my start/current/goal weight---so I thought I'd post my 1st message on this forum here.
HI! :q:

I don't think I am metabolically resistant, but, if through the error of my ways and my addiction especially to all things chocolate, HOW do i resist, How do I go all the way back again, how do I avoid sweets? Maybe my stallers are cream cheese (and assorted dairy) and artificial sweeteners. I put them in coffee, I drink Crystal Light, I mix cream cheese with proportional amounts of peanut butter with sweetener for a treat.

I can get comfortably back into ketosis, (stick at least light pink if not medium pink) and still not lose weight. I've jumped back (while off the diet, eating forbidden foods as if I had been stranded on a deserted island for 3 years, and seeing a brownie for the first time) to almost a 20 lb. gain. YIKES! HELP! No one replied to my last post!!! This is something of a prayer , so write back. (ryple~attbi.com, I hope that's what I have listed!)

Thanks all!
Renee aka: ryple :rolleyes:

sophie2001
Mon, Mar-11-02, 21:36
Nice to know that there are more out there! I live in South Dakota, actually quite close to Spirit Lake. My husband interviewed for a job there several years ago when we were dating. Anyway, this would be a great discussion thread to get going. Especially for me as a "Newbie". I enjoyed reading all of your threads, keep them coming! I agree, the Holidays do take their toll on you...too many goodies!! Well, hang in there all! :roll:

sophie2001
Mon, Mar-11-02, 21:41
Hang in there Renee! (Ryple)

I feel your pain, bathing suit season is FAST approaching. I am challenged by all of that too. Did you say if you were working out? Sometimes that will kick things into gear. If you are, maybe you need to bump things up a notch! Im relatively new at the low carb thing so dont go off of my advise. There are some thread on plateaus. You may want to investigate those. Im just learning all about this site, so I hope that I dont lead you astray. Anyway, good luck and hang in there. I ahd a plateau here a week ago and NOTHING happened. Things are moving now, maybe you just need some time. Anyhoo....see you around here!! :D

ryple
Tue, Mar-12-02, 08:43
Thanks, Sophie.

I fell off again yesterday. I baked my hubby's favorite, apple pie. I'm not usually threatened by it, it's NOT my favorite. (But, in the absence of carbs on the first week of starting back, and this was a really nice pie, I ate a piece of it.YIKES!) You know, not only does my weight loss slow when I've gone off the diet, but my resolve diminishes too. Who could've known what an addict I was?? :( :rolleyes:

ryple
Tue, Mar-12-02, 08:50
Last August or so, I was down to 136. (just briefly, got comfortable, jumped back to 145, was still happy, after all, I was wearing a size 10. I've stayed in that neighborhood until I returned from my disappointing vacation, now I'm 160. (all in one month!) I haven't seen that in 9 months! Now I'm in a 12, I want to get back into the single digits, (I wore an 8 for about a week!!) and learn how to live this WOL. HELP!
To some out there, (me a year ago in an 18/20) twelve doesn't sound bad, but you should see my gut! I'm 5'4", had 3 kids and am flabby! Plus, I've come so far, I don't want to go back. :eek:

sophie2001
Tue, Mar-12-02, 18:52
Apple Pie??? MMmmmmm! :devil: Not my favorite either but chocalate covered doggie turds sound great when the cravings kick in! I know, my husband made home made toffe flavored ice cream this weekend...I hade one small taste, but I wanted to keep going. The success of the last few weeks stopped me.
Sounds like youve had ENORMOUS success with this diet, your just going through a mental adjustment time. It would be so hard for me if I had to cook for kids. Three years ago I did really well, got down to 135# and thought "Oh now I can eat again". Well, here I am again. At least you are recognizing it before it gets totally out of hand this time...right? There are so many wonderful supportive people here so hang in there and keep chatting. I feel for you as I know what youre saying :p . Hang in there girl!!

Besides, you havent seen a gut until youve seen mine!! Haha!!

ryple
Tue, Mar-12-02, 19:54
Okay, Sophie, now I definitely have a comrade in arms, or guts, as the case may be. I laughed out loud at the idea of chocolate covered doggie turds. I'm still smilin'!
Our starting weights are the same, our lowest (since the 1980's anyway.......) in the 130's, we should be buddies. How are the scales treating you after starting back? Is the progress slow? I think I may have moved into turtle status............ :confused:
Hey, how'd you add the cute little (avatar?) devil in the text, not as important as avoiding doggie turds, but I was just curious. Thanks for replying, I feel supported now. ;)

Renee :D

grammyof2
Tue, Mar-12-02, 21:52
Have any of you tryed the low carb chocolate bars. I like the Pure Delite's Dark chocolate. Only way i can survive on this diet. As for stomachs i was at 209 last year down to 158 now and you should see all the loose skin. I have even thought about a tummy tuck. Will try exercise for now.

sophie2001
Wed, Mar-13-02, 20:22
As far as the devil goes when you go to write your thread go down to the smilies and underlines at the bottom of the smilies box is a Get More thingy. Just click with your mouse on that and it gives you alot more little faces.

I am currently at 177 right now, havent moved since Saturday (3/09). It drives me crazy, but I need to remember that I started this four weeks ago Monday 3/18 and that eleven pound in 1 month aint so bad. Would prefer 45# in four weeks, but it just aint happening! :p

What Granny2 was saying about the bars sounds really good. Better that the chocolate covered dog turds previously mentioned :D ! I need to go and buy some of these things, just havent had time. Another gal that I chat with tells me that the chocolate Whey shakes are really good, just have to watch out for what type of sweetener is in them. And, of course, the CARB COUNT!!

Anyway, one day at a time right!? Keep up the good work and NO MORE APPLE PIE!!! :rolleyes: Hahahahaha!

Later,
:wave:

ryple
Thu, Mar-14-02, 11:22
[COLOR=sienna] :thup: [FONT=century gothic] I have found that Sweet& Low makes chocolate with lactitol, a relatively low digestible sugar that in the past, (have been avoiding testing this go around) did not take me out of ketosis. (It did make me toot toot though, it said it has a laxative effect, it just make my {lower} tummy rumble, and I emitted {relatively odorless) ,well, emissions!) Tastes just like the real thing. The trick is to check to carbs and make sure the carbs are all sugars, (not crispies, fillers, etc, since the sugars are all the 'ol' and not the 'ose' kind.)
Are ya' with me??? :q:

Russel Stover makes some too, check the drug store candy aisle. I think the ones we can eat are, chocolate nut types, chocolate caramel types, and truffle typles. (Not mint patty types, no crispy types, I can't remember other prohibited ones, you get the idea.) These are around $1.50- $2.00 per bag of (say, maybe 10 bite size pieces?) making them affordable. WalMart has them too. :roll:
Now if we can just get Hersheys to make kisses from lactitol! :p

:yum:

ryple
Thu, Mar-14-02, 11:24
I didn't see my chocolate post, did it make it?

ChangingMe
Fri, Mar-29-02, 16:28
Wow, it is SO good seeing people from my area or close to it! :hyper:

Renee I saw your message and couldn't believe how alike we are in a lot of stats! Last summer, I was also thin and trim then put on my weight FAST! I have never low carbed before, but really felt all the carbohydates in my diet were killing not only my resolve to be healthy, but feeling good at all!

Wow, it's just so nice to see others that are right around me sharing the in the same WOL! And I'm a newbie also -- this is day #3 into the program!

I also moved from NY to Iowa last year. It has been a strange time in my life, but I am now hoping to gain control and feel good!

Hi to everyone! :wave:

Princesspp
Fri, Mar-29-02, 17:35
Merton is just kinda in between Milwaukee and Madison, Wisconsin ... for those who know the Holy Hill Church ... I can see it from the north side of our subdivision...

I've been on this WOE for about 1.5 years... I took a break during the holidays, and am first starting to move on the scale... I starting losing again, when I joined this site ... this is so totally inspirational here... I relatively keep to myself about my WOE, because I really don't want the conflicts that some people have to announce on "how bad hi protien diets are" ... if it's so bad, why am I doing it under my doctors supervision... I'm kinda his guinea pig... :D Nothing else seemed to work, and then after trying every kind of weight loss program in site, found that my system doesn't seem to like complex carbs... and then it kindof just went from there.

So, I'd like to join this thread too .. I'm from the Midwest ... that's the requirements :hyper: .... me too me too!!! :hyper:

Talk later all...

ryple
Sat, Mar-30-02, 10:19
:spin: It is always nice to be drawn back into this thread. Sometimes I stay away a while, while I abuse my eating habits, but to read all of you who sound just like me, I feel better. I actually fasted for two days because I felt so bad about eating so much junk. I bought some supplements at Vitamin World, that helped me not kill anyone (from mood swings/cravings) while fasting. I haven't been strictly low carb, just trying not to be a disgusting glutton. Why do I do this to myself? Just reading your (collective) posts makes me feel more peaceful. Thanks all. Easter will probably be a loss, but I feel stronger to start again than I have recently, I'm just also going to try not to eat the ENTIRE buffet just to get my money's worth, but just what I really want. (Like, shrimp, for example!) It's nice to know you are all here.
Do you have your settings so that you get mail when there's a new post to your message? I like that. It draws me back in when I've been away, so write on this thread once in a while, and I'll be back!!
;)