PDA

View Full Version : Zero carb cracker and cereal!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

aileen
Thu, Aug-11-05, 10:57
I am so happy. Now I can have bran cereal with zero carbs.
Scandinavian Bran Crisp Bread has 0 net carbs. It is great as a cracker or cereal.
It is 85% unprocessed wheat bran with rye flour and salt.
Per 9 gm slice:
3 gm carb
3 gm fiber
1 gm protein
16 calories
I love it with peanut butter or cheese.
It also makes a great cereal, either hot or cold.
Crumble several slices into a bowl. Add either hot or cold water and let soften for a few minutes. Add cream (I add additional water) or milk and sweetner.
Tastes great with strawberries too.
It tastes like All Bran.

Here is the link www.brancrispbread.com

newlife63
Thu, Aug-11-05, 11:53
Thank you. I just order them. They have a special for new customers. Two packages for $9.95, and that includes shipping!

laurie777
Thu, Aug-11-05, 15:09
Does anyone know of any stores (retail) that sel these? I hate ordering stuff online. Thanks a lot!

Laurie

jlk
Thu, Aug-11-05, 15:27
I just ordered these also! Got the $9.95 deal that newlife63 was talking about! I hope these are good! I have been looking for something other than porkrinds to dip in those delicious locarb dips! Will let you know!
Thanks for the tip!

aileen
Thu, Aug-11-05, 15:46
Laurie777,
The website lists local stores.

jamaicaker
Thu, Aug-11-05, 18:08
you can get them at wholefoods, and there is a whole article about them in prevention magazine. i have been eating them, pretty good. especially with butter

Moonwalker
Thu, Aug-11-05, 18:30
actually im sorry to burst your bubble, but they presubtract the fiber. They are really 3 carbs per cracker. :(
i know it says zero net carbs, but its a lie.

4beans4me
Thu, Aug-11-05, 18:54
I replied the same thing on the Atkins forum.. zero carb claims always raise a red flag with me...

EdwardGmys
Thu, Aug-11-05, 19:34
actually im sorry to burst your bubble, but they presubtract the fiber. They are really 3 carbs per cracker. :(
i know it says zero net carbs, but its a lie.

I am always leery of the "zero net carbs" claims, but the information on this site does not look like there could be 3 net carbs. There are only 16 calories and 85% of the crackers are whole bran which leaves the remaining 15% water and rye flour. I do not think you could get 3 net carbs out of the 5% or 10% of the rye flour? I am sure this is not the zero that they claim, but it does not seem possible to the 3 either.

I am interested to get these at a local whole foods. They seem like they would be very low GL which I am more concerned about then net carbs.

jlk
Fri, Aug-12-05, 09:56
moonwalker,
Where did you get this info from? I'm concerned b/c I just ordered these and if they truly are 3 per cracker, that's gonna stink. Just curious how you found out.
Thanks! :)

Moonwalker
Sat, Aug-13-05, 21:43
moonwalker,
Where did you get this info from? I'm concerned b/c I just ordered these and if they truly are 3 per cracker, that's gonna stink. Just curious how you found out.
Thanks! :)

thats what i heard over on netrition.com / www.lowcarbfriends.com

jlk
Sun, Aug-14-05, 06:27
Thanks moonwalker, I'm gonna check it out over there.

jlk
Mon, Aug-15-05, 14:24
Well, I just got these crackers in the mail and I have to say they are GREAT!!!! :yum:
I'm in such a confused state over the net carbs though.........it says zero net carbs........moonwalker said that she read that that is not true. I checked out the forum that moonwalker directed me to (thanks again, moonwalker) and I can't find any info on them.........however, based on the taste of these I think Moonwalker may be right!!! :cry: They just taste too good to be true........sigh.

Well, 3 carbs per cracker is better than 20 g per cracker and they ARE mostly bran, so good for you. I am going to use them but more sparingly than I would have if I could substantiate their "zero carb" claim, or their "zero carb" lie...... :nono:

They taste like raisin bran cereal without the raisins. Great with butter!

Anyone with anymore info on the actual carbs in these crackers, I would love to know.
Thanks!

aileen
Mon, Aug-15-05, 21:32
I have contacted the distributor and will post the reply.
jlk I am glad you like them too.

jlk
Tue, Aug-16-05, 06:01
Thanks Aileen! Looking forward, or maybe not, to the reply.... :)

I kept going through this in my head last night and saying "how can they write 'zero carbs' on their packaging?" Aren't there federal regulations on nutritional labeling?
Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe because they are made in Norway, they aren't subject to US regulations.........I guess there's a way around everything.....
Thanks again!
JLK

jlk
Wed, Aug-17-05, 18:52
http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/index.php/t-225183.html

go to the above web address, this is what I think Moonwalker may have been talking about.
It seems that these crackers ARE 3 net carbs each, difference in labeling laws. If these were labeled in America, rather than Norway they would say "6 grams carb, 3 grams dietary fiber"

Oh well, had a feeling it was too good to be true..
Like I said, I will still eat them, I find them very good, but will keep them extremely limited.

Rocks
Thu, Aug-18-05, 09:17
First I'd like to thank Aileen for the idea of crumbling them and eating them like cereal. What a great idea! THANK YOU!!
Now, about the carb count, I'm very confused. The package says that each cracker contains 16 calories. There is one gram of protein which would reduce the 16 to 12. Carb grams per calorie are 4, so that leaves 3 carbs TOTAL. Are they playing with the calorie count as well?
That seems odd. I truly believe the zero net carb count.

jlk
Thu, Aug-18-05, 09:27
Rocks,
I would love to believe the zero carb count also, but according to Dr. Bernsteins book, which is where the info is coming from, the crackers do have carbs. Maybe not a full 3 (that would be nice) but some net carbs.
I only got this info by reading the info that I pasted above (the link).
Aileen, is waiting for a response from the distributor. Hope to hear soon, but right now I can only say that Dr. Bernstein book, the diabetes solution, says "3 carbs".
Who do you believe?

jlk
Thu, Aug-18-05, 09:29
This is the quote I read in the thread........

" I'm looking in Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, 2003 edition, and he states clearly that each 9-gram slice of GG Scandinavian bran crispbread provides 3g digestible carbs (p. 152).

It's logical that there would be some net carbs in this product, since even raw unprocessed bran is not pure fiber; it's roughly 22% digestible carbs, by weight."

Would love him to be wrong...........

Rocks
Thu, Aug-18-05, 10:42
I heard about these Bran Crispbread's reading 'The Thin Commandments' by Dr. Stepen Gullo. He says in the book that the net carb is zero. Here are his credentials:
Dr. Stephen Gullo received his doctorate in psychology from Columbia University, and for more than a decade, he was a professor and researcher at Columbia University Medical Center. He is the former chair of the National Obesity and Weight Control Education Program of the American Institute for Life-Threatening Illness at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center

It would be fun to watch Dr. Bernstein and Dr. Gullo slug it out. But I believe if the calorie content is 16 as labeled, it is impossible to have more than 3 grams of carbs, and one gram of protein. So, this is interesting anyway! (smiley)

aileen
Thu, Aug-18-05, 10:52
I am waiting for a detailed explanation from the distributor.

This is from the Bran Crispbread site.
GG Bran Crispbread is both a high fiber food, it is also a low carb food and perfect for low carb diets!
GG Bran Crispbread has gained fame from its endorsements by countless nutritionists, doctors and dieticians. It is perfect for the health-conscious and all dieters, especially for those following a low carbohydrate or low calorie diet. With only 16 calories per slice and 0 net carbohydrates, GG Bran Crispbread is the best bran product on the market. It is the only cracker available that contains zero net carbohydrates per slice.

Drinking water with GG Bran Crispbread will make it swell, which gives you the sensation of being full. The high fiber, low carb, low calorie features of GG Bran Crispbread make this cracker the perfect solution for weight loss.
GG Bran has a low glycemic index, which means a gradual increase in blood sugar, rather than a rapid increase. For people interested in losing weight, this is important. A slow rise in blood sugar means a longer digestion time, which translates into burning calories. The fiber in these crackers passes through your body, acting like a brush, gently removing fat deposits and other free radicals from the digestive tract.

jlk
Thu, Aug-18-05, 11:35
Thanks Aileen! Yes, I had read that when I went on their site to find out where to order them.
I guess since there are two schools of thought out there on the true net carbs of these crackers, there will always be doubt unless someone sends them out to a lab for analysis.....:)
I may just have to meet in the middle somewhere and just say "I'm just counting them as 1.5 carbs each!"

Rocks
Thu, Aug-18-05, 11:49
:idea: I think that I have figured out the reason for the confusion.

I was reading Dr. Bernstein's 10 Diet Guidelines on diabetes-normalsugar.com, and he said this:

Note: In the United States, labeling regulations require that fiber be listed as carbohydrate. There are many different kinds of fiber, soluble and insoluble, digestible and undigestible, and so, because there is no requirement to distinguish in labeling between them, these listings can complicate computation of carbohydrate content. Use the carbohydrate amounts that I have listed above instead of those listed on the package labels.

Ok, so Dr. Bernstein is NOT saying that GG Crispbread has more than 3 carbs per cracker.....he is saying that the fiber is DIGESTIBLE and therefore must count as a carb for his patients.
So, it isn't that the nutritional label is incorrect, it's the difference in whether the fiber is DIGESTIBLE and therefore would not be subtracted from the total carb count BY DR. BERNSTEIN'S method of carb counting.
Fascinating!! :D

jlk
Thu, Aug-18-05, 11:54
I'm so confused.......... :daze: