PDA

View Full Version : Eureka - no more constipation!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Matt
Wed, Nov-21-01, 14:42
Not sure if this has come up before (couldn't find it), but like many I guess I suffered somewhat from constipation when starting the diet.

Despite drinking gallons of water and trying other things, I still suffered. I'm convinced that the principle cause is the IRON in the multi-vitamins/minerals I started taking at the same time as starting the diet. This is notorious (in my family at least) for causing the blockage!

Everything has returned to normal now I've found a multi-vit without iron (in Boots).

juicyjacki
Wed, Nov-21-01, 15:31
I don't know if this is any good to you - but i had the same problem, i found that eating nuts helped. A pre-packed bag of 100g of brazil nuts is only 3g - better than a pack of crisps! its very binding and filling - also a cheap snack

Ken
Thu, Nov-22-01, 01:37
Originally posted by juicyjacki
A pre-packed bag of 100g of brazil nuts is only 3g - better than a pack of crisps!

Hi Jacki :wave:

Don't mean to be picky but Brazil nuts are 3g per 50g not 100g. Asda do a 200g bag for 97p (in the fruit/veg section, don't buy from the baking section as they are more expensive)

Keep smiling :daze:
Ken

Ken
Thu, Nov-22-01, 06:02
Hi Matt :wave:

Sorry I didn't answer your question before, if you are still suffering from constipation try looking here (low carb tips on orange bar at top of page).
http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips012.html

Hope this helps.

Keep smiling :daze:
Ken

juicyjacki
Thu, Nov-22-01, 14:32
Thanks Ken - This is another one of the many pitfalls we face as low-carbers, trusting that labelling is correct! I have a 100 gram bag of brazils that reads 'average values per 100g are 3.1g carbs (of which sugars 2.4g). These are a pack from the Asda cooking section. A problem we face is who do we believe and how can we trust that these are accurate?

ezandreth
Fri, Nov-23-01, 18:24
I think I need this too. Was it an own-brand? Could you tell me the name?
After all, I assume we all now get enough iron from all the meat. I know I didn't when I was on traditional low-fat diets

IslandGirl
Fri, Nov-23-01, 18:57
Labels Lie, eh?

Truly, there's a lot of variation and method in labelling. For instance, maybe "they" left out the fibre gram count on that ASDA label...?

Labelling varies between N.America and Europe as well, over here it's generally Total Carbohydrates (inc fibre) AND Fiber Per "some" Serving Size, rounded in grams, on the label if one is lucky. It's the way the regulations are structured. The European labels I have seen (including UK) on imported products shows (digestible) carbohydrate and fiber and usually per 100g (which at least gives you a percentage) and not per serving size...

Either way, we the eaters :D must do the math and trust no one!

You have a very handy tool to verify any suspect label, at your disposal right above on the orange tool bar... the Loc Carb Tools page has a Carbohydrate Counter on it, with 4-6000 food products as listed in the governmental (US) Agriculture database.

Here are the results for brazil nuts (per 100g), N.American style:
Total Carbohydrates 12.80 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.40 g <---------therefore net 7.4g per 100g
Total Protein 14.34 g
Total Calories 656.00
Total Fat 66.22 g

Hope this helps!

fiona
Sat, Nov-24-01, 06:37
Thanks Judi - that is really interesting.

I think I will go for the highest reading on carbs for Brazil Nuts {yours: 12.8 (7.4 without fibre)} per 100 g. We all know Food Labels are to be taken with a big pinch of salt. ;)

I must admit nuts form most of my "nibbles" during the day and I have been on a stall/plateau for a few weeks now.

Take care.

Matt
Sun, Nov-25-01, 14:59
Hi ezandreth - the multi vit brand in Boots was "Multiman Formula" by Nutricia - dark blue packaging. I rang the manufacturer to confirm there is no Iron in it. I'm pretty sure I'm getting enough iron from leafy greens / red meats etc.

NB Can't see anything especially "male" about it! Would also recommend the other tips pointed about by Ken, too.

maggi
Sat, Dec-01-01, 15:13
I've found that one (two if it's bad) fizzy soluble 1g vitamin C per day really help in the bathroom department

Jan1ce35
Tue, Jan-15-02, 09:39
Hi all,

I visited my pharmasist today and unabashed explained my problem and he sold me good old Senakot. Which is herbal and gentle - I hope!!!!

Janice

juicyjacki
Tue, Jan-15-02, 17:15
i have found 2 good solutions to my constipation:

1) 1 or 2 chargrilled chicken breast ~ 0 grams, 150grams of greens ~ 2.50 grams (around half a dinner plate, i bought mine from asda pre-packed in 300 gram bags for 97p), then 100g of Fresh boiled brussel sprouts ~5 grams. Yes i know its sprouts, but tust me, they works!

The whole meal is between 7-8 carbs and stuffs you so much you can not move ...... except to go the the loo about 2 hours later!

2) Yoga

I did the Geri halliwell yoga (yes i know she is a bit of a flake, but i thought i would give it a go as it made a easier form of excersise for me at my weight). Within an hour i was in the loo. In the video the instructor said that it was a good way to ease constipation.
I do recommend Yoga to anyone who has never tried it and shyed away because they thought it was all to do with burning incesnse and praying to the moon. I found it very enjoyable!

Hope this might help someone

cocoabear
Thu, Jan-17-02, 17:38
Hi
One of the most pleasant cures for this problem I have found is Boots sugar free chocolate. It contains maltitol which is a polyol and it warns on the wrapper that you can only eat so much before you get a laxative effect. I eat this several times a week and as it is fairly low glycemic it is nice for a treat and keeps you regular! They do white, hazelnut, plain and milk chocolate and it tastes the same as ordinary chocolate without the sugar. I am on maintenance now so I eat a bit more of it. But it has never affected my weight loss, in fact I sometimes think it helps. This is only my experience though and YMMV. You could try the small 45g bar and see how it affects you. They also do toffees as well which are sweetened with polyols. Thorntons also do a scrummy diabetic milk choc bar (75g I think) I use diabetic choc for my favourite dessert which is whipped cream in the bottom of a bowl, covered with a few strawberries - I then melt the chocolate in the microwave and pour it over the strawbs - eat while choc still warm - mmm delicious. Thorntons also do diabetic toffee but again be careful how much you eat and see how it affects you!
Cocoabear

shaz
Mon, Jan-21-02, 17:21
Any idea on the carb contents of these chocolate bars? I quite like the idea of them
shaz

Pixie
Tue, Jan-22-02, 10:41
Cocoabear, have you got an update on the carb value in the choc bars please? me & Shaz are waiting to go shopping :D

Thanks

Emma

cocoabear
Tue, Jan-22-02, 12:07
Hi Emma & Shaz

In the UK polyols are listed as carbs, BUT in the US they aren't SO I tend to look at the carb count deduct the amount of polyols (in this case it is listed as maltitol) and count the balance as carbs. Polyols do raise blood sugar slightly but according to the Glycemic Research Institute they are glycemically acceptable. They are marketed towards diabetics. They are probably about the same as the American low carb chocolate bars which are advertised as anything from 1 - 4 carbs - carbolite etc, again because US products don't have to list polyols as carbs. Not allowed on induction. Try one and see how you go. They don't set off carb cravings for me but YMMV. Only use as a special treat though. Let me know how you get on.

Tina :wave:

shaz
Sun, Jan-27-02, 08:16
Went out to buy the Boots diabetic chocolate and they no longer do it here because diabetic products are no longer considered suitable for diabetics and they found it was causing problems as a laxative!

Foiled again - I'll look out for another brand.
Shaz

cocoabear
Sun, Jan-27-02, 11:20
Hi Shaz

That is strange as the Boots near me have expanded the range of diabetic chocolate and now include white chocolate!

I will be devastated if they stop selling it!

Try Thorntons diabetic chocolate bar, I think it is 85g, try eating half and see how you get on. Also most home made chocolate shops do a sugar free range although they are more expensive. There are also sugar free chocolate websites selling a range of products. Look up sugar free chocolates on a search engine, I think there is one called www.sugarfreechocolate.com or similar.
I bought a really nice chocolate and hazelnut spread from one of these and I used it to spread on my almond flour muffins.

Cocoabear :wave:

shaz
Mon, Jan-28-02, 11:02
thanks, I'll check out the website and have a look at the Boots in Cardiff next time I go - maybe they will have it - I adore white chocolate.

I did get hold of a bar of organic dark chocolate from co-op today. It is a100g bar and contains 84g carbs - this seemed reasonable - but I will look for better.

Shaz

ps are the almond flour muffins nice? - where could I get the recipe? I have been getting frustrated with the recipe sites because I have been trying to track down the Atkins bread recipe without success. It seemed a lot simpler than most of the recipes and I can't get hold of the book again.

cocoabear
Mon, Jan-28-02, 11:50
Hi Shaz
I don't but normal chocolate because I am addicted and eat the whole bar in one go!

Mufffins

melt 25 g butter, whisk in two eggs, mix separate bowl 100g ground almonds, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp vanilla essence and sweetener to taste. Mix dry and wet ingredients to combine - I use an electric whisk for about a minute.

You can add cocoa powder and some nuts, orange or lemon oil, ginger, whatever you want really that is low carb. I chop and layer a couple of strawberries or raspberries sometimes.

Bake 20 - 25 mins in muffin tins at 180oC.

You can omit the sweetener and vanilla and add grated cheese instead for savoury ones.

Cocoabear :wave:

shaz
Tue, Jan-29-02, 15:00
Thanks for the muffin recipe - I'll give it a try at the weekend.

I really goofed on the chocolate I was telling you about - there were 85g of carb in the organic chocolate and when I looked at a bar of dairymilk today there was only 54g carb in it!

I guess no added sugar does not mean that it's low carb!

Shaz

kkma1861
Fri, Feb-01-02, 05:09
could some one please explain to me what fibre content has to do with carbohydrate content?

if a packet of brazils says 3.1g per 100g is that not correct????

...also i dont know about chocs but boots do diabetic hard gums which are 0.6g per sweet. they are yum! :)

shaz
Fri, Feb-01-02, 16:40
hi Faiz,

I've been wondering the same about fibre and carbs as I read that the fibre content can be deducted from the carb content - in fact I posted a message asking a similar thing - perhaps we'll both get an answer soon.

Shaz

shaz
Fri, Feb-01-02, 17:12
Check out the low carb chocolate thread - scotsman has just been explaining the carb/fibre thing for me.

Shaz

Daschnook
Tue, Feb-12-02, 06:18
HI

I have found a magic cure for constipation...works for me anyway! A teaspoon of nutmeg in your decaf coffee in the morning and you will be in the toilet in no time. Nutmeg is a lesser known laxative!

Good luck

Daschnook

cocoabear
Fri, Mar-01-02, 04:10
I do love the taste of nutmeg so I'll give that a try. I must admit though I have only suffered once after a few weeks of low carbing and no problems whatsoever since.

Cocoabear

Daschnook
Fri, Mar-01-02, 17:08
Hi

I sent off for Dr Atkins cookie mix which makes lovely muffins.

It is a simple recipe (especially as I am a hopeless cook)... here it is:

One cup of the powder he sends to you which I think is simply protein powder.

Three tablespoons of mayonnaise

A half cup and two tablespoons of water

Mix all this together and dump 2inch rounds on a baking tray for 15 mins and voila ... a perfectly respectable mini-roll.

Daschnook

fiona
Sat, Mar-02-02, 05:39
Since I started LCing I must say constipation is truly a thing of the past. Haven't had one single day of it, except when I cheat and have a chocolate or some carby food!

Fenugreek (methi); ginger (fresh, ground or powder) are my cures for it. Just one or two of the dry fenugreek seeds in any stew and your movements will be a dream!

Take care.