PDA

View Full Version : Pcos, No Period, Losing Weight-help!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

michladny
Sun, Jul-31-05, 08:13
Hey all...
Recently I was given the possiblity of having PCOS by my doctor. Of course there will be more tests done but they want to wait for a few months since I started LC WOL and have lost a considerable amount of weight - which they do say is helpful. They say the LC, exercise, and weight loss will pretty much (or should) help me get back to normal...PROBLEM is

1. I started losing weight with LC WOL May 31, 2005 got my 1st period June 1, 2005 (obviously not related to LC at that point :lol: ) NO CYCLE since then!!!!!

2. I do not have painful periods when I get them, I have only ONE "facial hair" that grows out of the same small scar under my chin, no acne and the only other "symptoms" I have are infrequent periods (started since I gained 115 lbs) and fatigue.

3. I lost 33 lbs since May 31, 2005 and run/walk 2.5-3 miles 5 days a week along with alternating calesthenics/yoga 5 days a week (in addition to the treadmill to get strength and cardio in).

4. I "FEEL" like my cycle is coming (some PMS) symptoms but it has been for a week and a half now with no period.

5. Is 4 months really an ok amount of time to wait to get a cycle naturally?

6. Prior to all of this I would get my period evey 53 days (I used to get it every 31 days my entire life before weight gain and stress ;) )

7. ANY SUGGESTIONS????

Thanks for any advice you can give as this is all so stressing considering there could be SO many other things possibly wrong with me and I would LIKE TO ADD to my family in the future!!!

Michladny

seashell14
Wed, Aug-03-05, 13:10
I have found out a year and three months ago that I have PCOS. I gained 80 pounds and didn't have a period for over a year at all. I went to the doctor who did some lab work, and found that I was extremely insulin resistent, which is a major cause or symptom, however you want to look at it, of PCOS.

My doctor was very concered with me developing type II diabetes. So he immediately put me on Metformin, and insulin sensitizing drug. I had worked so hard to try and lose weight before, and it was impossible. After I started the metformin which helped correct some of the blood chemistry issues, I lost weight very easily. I also got my first period in a year and a half within 6 weeks, and have had a regular period since then. I even got pregnant last december, unfortunately I miscarried in February. But I got pregnant none the less, which a fertility doctor told me would never happen.

There are many types of medicines that can help correct the underlying causes of PCOS....metformin, glucophage, avandia......if the problem is because of insulin resistence.

devilchild
Tue, Sep-20-05, 19:22
A cousin of mine approached me with the idea that I may have PCOS. I have never had any tests done nor a doctor diagnose me with PCOS, but I had also never even heard of it until she mentioned to me some of the symptoms. I am a 23 yr old female who has not had a period (no spotting, no cramping, no symptoms at all) since October of 2002. That makes this upcoming October 3 full years of no ovulation for me. I have been to many many doctors....who supposedly can find nothing wrong with me other than the fact that I am overweight. One doctor simply stated that I gained too much too fast and that if I worked to loose 50 lbs I would probably get my period back.

I just starting the LC lifestyle, and I am still learning it, getting used to it, but I hope it will prove beneficial for me, assuming I can stick to it. I began it back in May, but gave up after two weeks. I started again last week, and am on day 5 now. So far so good but we shall see.

I have an aunt who is a nurse and she gave me a two month supply of glucophage which she says should help me a whole lot in loosing weight. I have been experiencing some nausea and diarhea and unfortunately I don't know if it is related to changing my eating or the glucophage. But I do know that I hope it will end soon so that I may start feeling better about changing so much of my lifestyle!

Anyway, the reason I write is to say that you aren't alone in missed periods....seeing as how I am going on 3 years now...wondering if THAT is the world record of missing a period (for no apparent reason other than weight).