PDA

View Full Version : Weight Training: I'm getting bigger Should I stop?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

supergirll
Tue, Jul-19-05, 05:09
The last time I did Atkins (last year), I was really good with doing my weight lifting. I was a fixture in the gym. Well this time I have started again and I'm getting my strength back. My muscle hasn't totally disappeared. I guess I'm waking it up again.

My question is, should I wait until after I lost more fat before weight training? I feel quite bulky. With not much lifting, I bulk up really easily. My legs feel huge. I would rather have more of a long lean look (even though I'm only 5'4). I haven't actually measured my legs but they look masculine.

I have a roll of fat on my belly. I read that situps are no good to spot reduce. You have to lose the fat through cardio first. I was going to start doing situps but will not if it is just fruitless at this point in my weight loss. I don't want a bigger stomach, muscle with rolls of fat over it. Are situps just a wait of time right now until I lose more fat?

Should I continue with weight training? Or should i focus more on cardio until I lose more fat, then start the training again?

kbfunTH
Tue, Jul-19-05, 10:21
Figure out a routine that incorporates enough activity to lose the unwanted bodyweight and then if you still feel like doing more, add in some weight training. Circuit/Interval training would be best in terms of 'weight training to burn calories.' Include some ab training (and low back work) for core conditioning if not for any other reason.

One exercise that I highly recommend is the dumbbell swing. Kettlebells if you have them, but dumbbells will work too. Start with one arm, then progress to two arms as you can.

nets33
Tue, Jul-19-05, 11:52
IMHO I think that a good exercise program should combine both cardio and weight/resistance training....

I know you said you feel bulky now... and some women to have bulkier muscles but some of that may be the layer of fat over muscles. It is very difficult for women to bulk up like men do when weight training. The average woman will put on only 3 to 8 pounds of muscle a year.

I would recommend measuring yourself as well as weighing. I have seen a consistent loss of inches except in my arms where I've seen a small (welcome) increase.
I have a roll of fat on my belly. I read that situps are no good to spot reduce. You have to lose the fat through cardio first. I was going to start doing situps but will not if it is just fruitless at this point in my weight loss. I don't want a bigger stomach, muscle with rolls of fat over it. Are situps just a wait of time right now until I lose more fat?It is true that you cannot spot reduce fat by working any specific area harder than the other. But don't think that doing abdominals will make you look bigger... that's just not true! :) I have been doing abdominal work and find that my stomach feels and looks firmer even with the layer of fat that is still hanging on in my middle. Working and toning those abdominals are important. Don't wait! When the fat starts coming off your muscles will already be on the way to being toned and firm to show off.

Kiks

amyvr
Tue, Jul-19-05, 14:19
I totally agree with what nets33 just said. Keep at it, and even if you start to think it's not doing any good, don't quit,and you'll be happy you didn't.

galatia
Tue, Jul-19-05, 15:03
Good advice. For what it's worth, here's my thoughts.

My question is, should I wait until after I lost more fat before weight training?

No.

Are situps just a wait of time right now until I lose more fat?

Work abs as you would any other bodypart. I don't follow that exactly, but that is what is recommended.

Should I continue with weight training? Or should i focus more on cardio until I lose more fat, then start the training again?
Weight train-- then cardio 20 mins. Or as Kb suggested. I've never really done circuit /interval training, but I know there are those who really like it. Find what you like that you will do. But for me weight training has made the BIGGEST difference in fat loss and reshaping my body. And remember from before that at first muscles will hold water and make you weigh more and look bigger, but give your muscles time to do their "magic" and you'll be very pleased with the outcome. :)

supergirll
Fri, Jul-29-05, 04:59
I experimented this week. I didn't lift my weights and did just minmal cardio on my bike or walked for 20 or 30 minutes (not every day). I finally re-lost 2 of the pounds I regained since July 5th. I might experiment again next week and not weight lift, just to see what happens. I honestly think that the weight lifting is hampering my weight loss right now. For my body type, it might be best to lift closer to goal. I bulk up very easily, which I think is just my fat being pushed out. I'm afraid if I keep lifting I'll have to walk around "bigger" until I lose the fat and who knows how long that will take at the rate I'm going?

nets33
Fri, Jul-29-05, 07:10
I know that you feel that you are getting bulkier.... but I'll say againg that weight lifting is what will help you to lose weight.

Have you been measuring yourself as well as weighing? Sometimes the numbers on the scale might go up but the numbers on the tape measure go down.... don't think that the scale is the only way to measure progress.

Over the long run the way to lose is by having an exercise program that combines cardio and weight training. I didn't start to lose weight until I combined a good eating program with cardio AND weight training. It will take more than one week to really show results. Your 2lb loss that showed up this week may be a result of the weeks of good exercise you've put in the weeks prior.

:) I've become very passionate about exercise and weight training. I truly beleive it is the way to go.
K

poirot
Fri, Jul-29-05, 07:55
I agree with nets33. A good exercise program should include cardio and weights. I would concentrate on cardio to lose the fat but still do some weight training to keep the muscles working and in tact. I gained some weight when I started lifting but it was really my muscles hanging on to water. My body just needed time to get over it. May I also suggest pilates workout for your abs and legs - I have only recently added this to my exercise routine but can really feel the effects (I hurt all over- lol). Supposedly, pilates is good for developing long lean muscles. Perhaps someone who has been doing pilates longer than I can attest to that.

supergirll
Sun, Jul-31-05, 04:24
One of my problems is that since I haven't been losing weight, it was suggested that I lower my calories. Since I have lowered my calories, I don't really seem to have the energy to do all of the working out I normally do.

I will definitely try some pilates. I just bought the windsor pilates from eBay. I can't wait to try it. Long, lean muscles is what I want to acheive. With the lifting, I'm getting short stubby ones, which doesn't help me I'm a short 5'4 at best. However, maybe after the fat is gone, the muscle will look a little better than they do now. Currently, my legs feel big like Hulk Hogan legs.

Galadriell
Sun, Jul-31-05, 13:20
Only one remark. I always smile when heard the words: "long lean muscles". (Usually in Pilates commercials.)
The lenght of your muscle is determined by the lenght of your bone. There is no exercise that can lenghten your bones. (Though for elderly there are exercises to help to prevent the shrinking of bones.)

There are many pro models (pro means at least 6' high) following and advertising Mary Winsor's program. Yes, they do have long lean muscles, but the reason behind it genetic, and not the program itself.

Do not get me wrong. I am full-heartily behind Mary Winsor, and her program. I read her orginal book: The Pilates Powerhouse (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0738202282/qid=1122837512/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-2156486-4118428) many times - there is no any "weight loss", "long lean muscles" claim in it.

Nevertheless I can attest, that doing Pilates can give you a much leaner LOOK, by strenghtening your core muscles.

It is my 2c.

P.S.: I second net33. Feeling huge legs, or having huge legs are very different things. After every long run I feel my leg muscles are doubled. Measuring could help a lot.....

supergirll
Sun, Jul-31-05, 15:30
So I guess there is no way for me to become "lean" vs "bulky"? I don't want muscle to be visible, I just want to get smaller.

Only one remark. I always smile when heard the words: "long lean muscles". (Usually in Pilates commercials.)
The lenght of your muscle is determined by the lenght of your bone. There is no exercise that can lenghten your bones. (Though for elderly there are exercises to help to prevent the shrinking of bones.)

There are many pro models (pro means at least 6' high) following and advertising Mary Winsor's program. Yes, they do have long lean muscles, but the reason behind it genetic, and not the program itself.

Do not get me wrong. I am full-heartily behind Mary Winsor, and her program. I read her orginal book: The Pilates Powerhouse (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0738202282/qid=1122837512/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-2156486-4118428) many times - there is no any "weight loss", "long lean muscles" claim in it.

Nevertheless I can attest, that doing Pilates can give you a much leaner LOOK, by strenghtening your core muscles.

It is my 2c.

P.S.: I second net33. Feeling huge legs, or having huge legs are very different things. After every long run I feel my leg muscles are doubled. Measuring could help a lot.....

dane
Mon, Aug-01-05, 07:02
Oh Supergirlllll................I hear what you're saying, but let me just URGE you to keep lifting. If you lift consistently, and progressively, you WILL see positive changes in your body. I just finished chatting with a lady friend of mine, who was bemoaning the fact that, while she is just a few pounds form goal weight, she is still flabby, everywhere. Basically the SAME body shape as before, when she was very fat, as she is now---just smaller. Look at some of the "success" pictures on this board, especially if they've posted bikini pics. Alot of them are still "flabby" looking. You can lose fat from diet and lots of cardio, but you won't get a really nice lean look unless you weight train. I think Deb (Galatia) mentioned body reshaping......yes...Body Recomposition. That's what you want to do.

Yes, when you first start lifting, you will feel heavier, you will probably gain a few pounds, but it really is your muscles response to the new stress, and you are holding water. You might also gain inches due to water retention. This discourages ALOT of newbies, and they give up. It's really too bad, because if you can just stick it out for 2 or 3 months, you will see a big difference.

Be sure to measure yourself, and take some before pictures, in a bathing suit. You'll be GLAD you did, ;)

galatia
Mon, Aug-01-05, 07:16
I agree with every word Dane :) . I know a lot of women hate the look of muscle, but comparing what looks best, flab or muscle and IMO muscle wins!! :D
My legs are my big area too, but my legs are getting smaller as the muscle tightens and the fat goes away.
Good luck to you with whatever you decide to do. :)

supergirll
Mon, Aug-01-05, 11:15
Good point, I guess muscle does look better than flab. How long has it taken you for your legs to start looking smaller?

I agree with every word Dane :) . I know a lot of women hate the look of muscle, but comparing what looks best, flab or muscle and IMO muscle wins!! :D
My legs are my big area too, but my legs are getting smaller as the muscle tightens and the fat goes away.
Good luck to you with whatever you decide to do. :)

galatia
Tue, Aug-02-05, 04:58
How long has it taken you for your legs to start looking smaller?
Well, it's taken a while, I'm sorry to say. It seems my leg fat is going to be the very last to go http://forum.lowcarber.org/images/icons/icon9.gif . But in January the top of my right leg was 24.5 inches, Sunday morning it was 22.25. I'm shooting for 21 :). They seem to have gotten smaller when I added walk/sprints. (20 mins. not too intense) Also I do working squats using 135 lbs. So I lift fairly heavy. And they are smaller and taking on a pretty nice shape. I still have a ways to go before I'm happy with them, but they look so much better than they did. :)

nawchem
Tue, Aug-02-05, 15:38
I carry a lot of fat in my hips and the tops of my thighs. As I worked out my bodyfat got down to 21% but I guess my thighs were the last place I lose so I ended not being able to wear pants after a while they were so tight in the thigh. My trainer thought the weights on my legs were unneccessary since I did so much cardio. This time around I am not using the machines for my legs. I do squats, lunges, extensions and walk hills on the treadmill for my hamstrings. I've lost 3" off my thighs in 7 weeks and my legs look athletic but not out of proportion to my body.

Usul001
Tue, Aug-02-05, 16:02
I agree that you should keep lifting. Cardio will help you to burn calories only whilst you are participating in it. Weights not only have an afterburn effect (in that they raise your metabolic rate for a period of time following doing them), but they also have an effect on your BMR. For every extra kilo of muscle mass you can coax your body to carry, it will require an extra 120 calories to maintain. 5 kilos of muscle ups your Basal Metabolic Rate by 600 calories - much more than most cardio routines will burn.
Yes, it is hard for a female to increase in size, but you have two things in your favour, the first is muscle memory - this is what you called your initial increase "I guess I'm waking it up again". The body remembers the level of muscularity it reached before and will very quickly return to it given the correct stimulation. Secondly, you aren't a long term lifter, and all long term lifters will admit that the longer you lift the slower the gains come.
In regards to your legs, I lift very heavy on my legs. I leg press 260 kilos and lunge 80 kilos (sorry about the metric), and my legs are getting smaller and smaller. What is happening is that they are also getting shaplier and shaplier and more defined as well. Now tell me that you wouldn't want shapely, toned legs over skinny flabby legs any day.

Keep it up. Weight training is the only way to change your body shape, cardio just makes you smaller, but still the same shape.

:)

Baby steps can climb even the highest mountains.

supergirll
Tue, Aug-02-05, 16:10
I think I'll just stick out the weight lifting. You have all convinced me. Thanks everyone for the advice.

I guess you just have to give it some time. I went to the fitness club to do my lifting today.

nets33
Wed, Aug-03-05, 09:10
Good for you supergirll!

I think you'll find that you've made the right decision. I certainly think so. :)

Kiks