PDA

View Full Version : fat vs. muscle

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

silvia
Thu, Mar-22-01, 02:46
Hi guys!

First of all I want to say that I seem to have a lot of questions and not too many answers for anyone so put up with me. At the moment I can only give moral support!!

My question is: You read everywhere that the body changes with exercise, fat becomes muscle which weighs a lot more than fat etc etc. How quickly does this take place? After how long does the weight of the muscle become noticeable? My benchmark is my pair of jeans that I can't wear anymore so the weighing is less important to me, but I am curious. Also OF COURSE I don't care how much I weigh as long as I can wear the jeans.

Thanks everyone.
Silvia

PS Today is my 32nd birthday and all I can say is that I've never felt so wonderful and full of energy thanks to LC and the support of all of you!!!!

Tinakaye
Thu, Mar-22-01, 06:05
Happy Birthday Silvia!

Muscle is muscle and fat is fat, they do not turn into one another.

And to show you what I mean by this next statement, I'll ask you a little question.

Which weighs more? A pound of feathers or a pound of steel? They both weigh the same right? Because a pound is a pound is a pound. BUT the steel/muscle doesn't take up that much room because it is so dense. And the feathers/fat takes up a LOT more room. See?

Low carb protects the muscle to keep it intact and helps you burn the fat. So typically low carbers can weigh a lot higher number then the average person and be a LOT smaller.

I can remember when I weighed about 145 and another woman I was talking to weighed the same amount and was the same height as I, I had to get on the scale at the store to prove to her that I weighed that much! I wore a size 8 and she wore a size 14.......... But I had much more muscle, and she had more fat that took up more room in her body then my muscles do.

Okay lol I think I've rambled enough! lol

Tinakaye
203/127/128
http://tinabelle.tripod.com/lowcarb.html

silvia
Thu, Mar-22-01, 06:31
Thanks Tinakaye!!!

You've been very helpful!

Silvia

MDukes
Thu, Mar-22-01, 07:34
Tinakaye - what a great explanation!! Thank you, I enjoyed reading that.

Tinakaye
Thu, Mar-22-01, 09:02

Tinakaye
203/127/128

Sadai
Thu, Mar-22-01, 13:26
This is a question for Tinakaye... I was wondering at what weight you began to do the exercise... Currently I do not do anything, :( but I still have managed to lose nearly 40lbs to date, still another 60 to go.. Unfortunetaly I just don't have the desire to start a workout program yet, sure hope that will eventually change??? Thanx

doreen T
Thu, Mar-22-01, 14:01
felice compleanno

I don't know if that's correct, but I hope you get the sentiment. ..;) .. Italian I'm NOT; closest I get is that I talk with my hands a lot! *LOL*

You sound as though you are doing very well, especially considering how hard it is for you to get lowcarb foods in Italy. Way to go girl!

Here's hoping for a nice, big WHOOSH for a birthday present.... :D

take care, Doreen

debbiedobson
Thu, Mar-22-01, 19:05
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU SILVIA!!. i wish you all the best and a wonderful year!

silvia
Fri, Mar-23-01, 02:15
Thanks everybody for your birthday wishes! Doreen, your Italian's great, but as you say, it's the hands that are really important!! Ha ha!

Being my birthday I celebrated with a pizza and tirmisu and litres of red wine, but that was already planned and not a slip!!! So today I'm back on the wagon having really enjoyed myself!! Obviously I ain't going to ruin the memory of that great dinner by weighing myself!!! I'll do that in a week!! Really did have a great evening food aside!!!

Bye and keep going with your support and good advice everyone!!!!

Silvia

Tinakaye
Fri, Mar-23-01, 06:53
Hello again Silvia, and glad you had a great birthday.
I did NO working out whatsoever until I got down to about 140, I wish I would have started it sooner, as your body shape changes so much faster since I've been working out!

Best of luck!

Tinakaye
203/127/128