PDA

View Full Version : hidden carbs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kellyherta
Sat, Nov-17-01, 14:15
I have tried the carb solution bars - found them to be very good and very convenient when on the go. If they do in fact have the 20 to 30 hidden carbs, I should have seen a rise in my blood sugar after eating one and I did not. I am a type I diabetic which requires insulin every time I consume carbs - since the label says there are 3 carbs per serving, I don't bother taking insuline because it is such a small amount. I check my blood sguar 1-2 hours after I eat one and my blood sugar has not gone up. If the bar has 30 carbs - I should have seen an increase in my blood sugar by 100 points. Sooooooo What's up with hidden carbs? Being on an insulin pump, I have always relied heavily on product labels as I need to program insulin everytime I conusme carbs. I use a ratio of 1 unit of insulin to 15 grams of carbs. Over all my conversion that I use is quite reliable and I have never heard of or used the hidden carb factor.

Natrushka
Sat, Nov-17-01, 14:38
I'd count myself lucky then Kelly :) Many people (diabetics and non) do experience a rise in insulin after ingesting sugar alcohols; their bodies do perceive the SA's as carbs. There's a good article about SAs under "Low Carb Tips", FYI.

Nat

IslandGirl
Sat, Nov-17-01, 15:15
... this is more about individual responses to SAs in diabetes than it is about a particular product, I've moved this thread here...

LindaC6724
Wed, Nov-21-01, 08:19
Hi check it with the "Low Carb Tools" on this site above on the Hidden carbs Calculator. :wave:

lee635
Tue, Feb-12-02, 23:06
My wife is insulin dependent and she noticed the same thing. Both my sister and I also noticed that we stayed in Ketosis after eating sugar alcohol products when other fairly small carb items added up enough to knock me out of ketosis. So I'm not sure how sugar alcohols work, but the rule seems to be no impact on blood sugar, with a few people who are the exception.

Turtle874
Mon, Nov-17-03, 11:19
What I've found about this -

Those bars are high in fat so readings will peak longer than 2 hours. I could take as long as 6 hours.

Some people do not have the enzyme required to digest sugar alcohols. Their blood sugar won't change as a result but they might get diarrhea depending on how much they ate. Other people DO have the required enzyme to digest them. Those people will see a rise on the monitor from them and won't get diarrhea.

Hope that helps.