PDA

View Full Version : Breastpump question - Help!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jade74
Thu, Jul-07-05, 07:48
I ordered a manual breastpump from an overstock clearinghouse on eBay, and when it arrived today, it wasn't a manual pump at all, but an electric/battery operated one made by Gerber.

Everyone I've talked to recommends the manual pumps, but I don't know if it's just a question of value (the electric ones being so much more expensive) or if the electric ones just aren't as good. I have two days to complain about the item, so I'm hoping to get some opinions on the electric pump quickly, so I know whether or not to complain about not getting a manual pump.

Thanks!

Jenn

KimNWI
Thu, Jul-07-05, 07:51
I am not pregnant right now so normally I wouldn't go near the thread hehe but I did breastfeed my son for his first year and I tried both types of pumps. For me I liked the the electric. I had to be careful about just making sure I was paying attention when I used it otherwise owww lol but I liked it better myself.

Just my 2 cents

KimNWI

Hilary M
Fri, Jul-08-05, 13:54
Jenn, I have both a manual and a big hospital-grade electric pump, which I invested in because I pump as often as I nurse since I'm working full-time. I use the manual to relieve engorgement in the mornings before Maggie wakes up, and it's very efficient considering how simple it is. My arm gets a little tired using it but if you won't be needing it more than once or twice a day, it should be more than adequate. I also bought a small electric (just a $30 Evenflo model) in the beginning and only used it once. It didn't work for me at all, but I was very new to the whole pumping/breastfeeding thing so it may have been my own fault. The lacatation consultant at the hospital warned me that a lot of women complain about being injured by the Evenflo models, FYI.

tekunoroji
Wed, Jul-13-05, 13:55
I'm confused why people would recommend manual pumps. Electric pumps are easy to use and very efficient. Though they do cost a bit more, the Ameda Purely Yours is relatively cheap (especially when you think of how much you'll save by not getting formula!). www.breastfeedingexpress.com sells them INCLUDING shipping for $123. I love this pump and it worked great for me. The only one approved by the FDA, and the only one where the filters actually filter out bacteria and even viruses.

But if you're dead-set on a manual pump, the Avent Isis is wonderful! I used that before I got my Ameda, and loved it.

By the way, I don't know if you'd be interested, but I just weaned and I'm looking to sell both of my pumps. $70 for the Ameda (including 12 bottles that fit the pump + caps!) and $35 for the Isis (which will include UNUSED and used storage containers that fit the pump). Send me a message if you are interested...I'd give you first dibs before eBay.

Good luck!