PDA

View Full Version : CARBS (minimum intake) and THYROID

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pete69
Wed, Jun-15-05, 12:35
This study is often quoted by authors who are writing articles on diet and the effects on thyroid.

Burman KD, Dimond RC, Harvey GS, et al: Glucose modulation of alterations in serum iodothyronine concentrations induced by fasting. Metabolism 28:291, 1979.

An article here http://www.thyroidmanager.org/Chapter5/5a-frame.htm states the following.

Composition of the diet rather than reduction in the total calorie intake seems to determine the occurrence of decreased T3 generation in peripheral tissues during food deprivation. The dietary content of carbohydrate appears to be the key ingredient since as little as 50 g glucose reverses toward normal the fast-induced changes in T3 and rT3.

I looked up the abstract on medline and it doesn't give a description, prob. b/c of how old the study is. Anyone know if it was done on humans or rodents. I suspect rodents only b/c on the thyroid manager site, when it talks about refeeding protein, it references a rodent study.

So is 50g of carbs really going to make a difference in thyroid activity in humans. And will overeating protein to provide glucose via gluconeogenesis provide the same results? If one were to be on a zero carb vs. a 50g carb diet, would there be such a drastic difference in thyroid and would this effect weight loss?

I read a summary of 2 recent studies in Ironmag (I know, I don't rely on it but they do have reviews of some of the research and Jerry Brainum seems to know his stuff) and he talks about 2 studies (again, in rodents, so who knows if it happens in humans), but when they were fed no carbs weight loss actually slowed down quite a bit, but when 50g were introduced into the diet, fat was lost at an accelerated weight.

Any personal experience on going ultra-low carbs vs. 50-100g and it effect on fat loss, as well as any research or other information would be appreciated. Thanx

Nancy LC
Wed, Jun-15-05, 13:00
Dunno. All I know is that some people get relief from their thyroid issues when they raise their carbs. More importantly, some start losing weight again when they do.

Judging from the people complaining of hair loss and coldness... I'd say it probably happens on low carb diets frequently.