PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the turtle club

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tamarian
Sat, Nov-10-01, 14:38
Any turtles around? :)

Wa'il

Atriana
Sat, Nov-10-01, 14:51
Does 3 pounds during induction, 1 pound a week afterward qualify?

Ka3n
Sat, Nov-10-01, 14:54
Slow Losers, eh? (Robert Ninero-like) You callin' me slow ?
You callin' me a loser? ;) Hey, you talkin' to me ?
ok, I am a turtle. I've been a Hare before and now I'm a Tortoise. So that makes me hare and now a tortoise. :rolleyes: I'm going now....

doreen T
Sat, Nov-10-01, 15:22
Net loss of 8 lbs in the last year, and never once the thought of quitting, or eating any other way. Good health and well-being are the primary measures of my success. Weight loss is just a bonus!

Doreen

Natrushka
Sat, Nov-10-01, 15:24
Great idea for a forum :) This place sure is undergoing some major renovations!

Nat

anita
Sat, Nov-10-01, 19:55
Do you mean that I am not the only one losing at this incredibly SLOW speed?? I am truly glad to hear it! I have not thought about going off LC but I sometimes wonder how long it will take me to get throughly frustrated...It's great to have the incredible support of this list to help me keep my eye on the ball.
Thanks for this
Anita

mrsvvt2001
Sat, Nov-10-01, 20:18
WOW - is this the perfect place for me! Anita, I've done so much soul searching the past 2 weeks and I've come to realize there's no point in getting frustrated, I've no where else to go. I've tried everything. this is the only WOE where I'm not starving or completely insane with cravings, sweet/salty binging and everything else that goes with low-fat dieting.
I am definitely a turtle, but then again, who am I racing?

doreen T
Sat, Nov-10-01, 21:09
Originally posted by mrsvvt2001
I am definitely a turtle, but then again, who am I racing? Ooooh, that's good!

No race, that's for sure, but sometimes I do feel like I'm chasing myself in circles :daze: .. Just to clarify ... my 8 lbs NET loss, includes a sudden gain of 12 lbs due to medication last winter ... so technically, I have lost 20 lbs in a year. It's just that 12 of them were reruns :lol:

I think that losing slow but steady is the key to ultimate success at keeping it off for good .. because the healthy eating habits truly have become a way of life. I've lost lots of weight quickly, on diets in the past, and gained it all BACK quickly and then some .. because the programs weren't something you could maintain.

It's nice to know we're here to see each other through.

Doreen

Ka3n
Sat, Nov-10-01, 21:23
I've no where else to go. I've tried everything. this is the only WOE where I'm not starving or completely insane with cravings, sweet/salty binging and everything else that goes with low-fat dieting. mrsvvt2001, me too. It feels like I've done it all, well not all, but been down so many roads that I never wanna see again, that's for sure. I'm very happy with this WOL for the reasons that you mentioned. But, mainly b/c I feel so much better.
I think that losing slow but steady is the key to ultimate success at keeping it off for good .. because the healthy eating habits truly have become a way of life. I've lost lots of weight quickly, on diets in the past, and gained it all BACK quickly and then some .. because the programs weren't something you could maintain. That's so true Doreen. It's the quick fix mentality that "we want it now" that I keep tripping over these days.

SweetLoren
Sat, Nov-10-01, 22:41
This is such a good club.....I sure qualify im gaining weight....and it helps to hear that im not the only one whose loosing slowly...props to the person who thought of this club
Lorena

Flintstone
Sat, Nov-10-01, 23:19
Repeat after me....

I feel better.....I'm healthier....I feel better....I'm healthier......I feel better.....I'm healthier..................

TO H_LL WITH THE SCALES!! :devil:

coquina
Sun, Nov-11-01, 00:34
10 days into induction and I've only managed to skim off 3 lbs. But guess what? I'm not hungry, I don't feel deprived, I have no cravings for anything. And slow is healthier in the long run,I know that. And I'm committed to this for the long run. I can see already that this is a WOE I can live with. (Unlike some other woes I have! :p )

So glad to be here with you all! :yay:

Atriana
Sun, Nov-11-01, 06:36
Coquina - I definately agree with you! I feel so much better eating this way that I would continue even if I wasn't losing any weight. Like you, I only lost 3 pounds during induction. But, even if it is slow, the weight loss WILL continue. This morning's weigh in has shown that I have lost a total of 15 pounds.

LC Sponge
Sun, Nov-11-01, 06:49
Just in case there is somebody out there who isn't sick of hearing it yet:....

It took me 1 year 8 months and 15 days to lose 40 pounds.

Whatever conclusions us slow losers come to on this WOE, only this counts:

It doesn't matter HOW LONG IT TAKES, this isn't a race. It's not a competition. The only *losers* are the quitters. You can't compare your results with anybody else because at the end of every day the only real WINNER is YOU.

doreen T
Sun, Nov-11-01, 08:38
Instead of "slow losers" we should think of ourselves ashttp://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/kao/chika/chirolp_iei.gif Unhurried WinnersDoreen

Ka3n
Sun, Nov-11-01, 11:56
THE DAFFODIL PRINCIPLE

Several times my daughter had telephoned to say, "Mother, you must come see the daffodils before they are over."
I wanted to go, but it was a two-hour drive from Laguna to Lake Arrowhead.
"I will come next Tuesday," I promised, a little reluctantly, on her third call.
Next Tuesday dawned cold and rainy. Still, I had promised, and so I drove there. When I finally
walked into Carolyn's house and hugged and greeted my grandchildren, I said, "Forget the daffodils, Carolyn! The road is invisible in the clouds and fog, and there is nothing in the world except you and these children that I want to see bad enough to drive another inch!"
My daughter smiled calmly and said, "We drive in this all the time, Mother."
"Well, you won't get me back on the road until it clears, and then I'm heading for home!" I assured her.
"I was hoping you'd take me over to the garage to pick up my car."
"How far will we have to drive?"
"Just a few blocks," Carolyn said. "I'll drive. I'm used to this."
After several minutes, I had to ask, "Where are we going? This isn't the way to the garage!"
"We're going to my garage the long way," Carolyn smiled, "by way of the daffodils."
"Carolyn," I said sternly, "please turn around."
"It's all right, Mother, I promise. You will never forgive yourself if you miss this experience."

After about twenty minutes, we turned onto a small gravel road and I saw a small church. On the
far side of the church, I saw a hand-lettered sign that read, "Daffodil Garden." We got out of the car and each took a child's hand, and I followed Carolyn down the path. Then, we turned a corner of the path, and I looked up and gasped. Before me lay the most glorious sight.
It looked as though someone had taken a great vat of gold and poured it down over the mountain peak and slopes. The flowers were planted in majestic, swirling patterns-great ribbons and swaths of deep orange, white, lemon yellow, salmon pink, saffron, and butter yellow. Each different-colored variety was planted as a group so that it swirled and flowed like its own river with its own unique hue. There were five acres of flowers.

"But who has done this?" I asked Carolyn.
"It's just one woman," Carolyn answered. "She lives on the property. That's her home."
Carolyn pointed to a well kept A-frame house that looked small and modest in the midst of all that glory. We walked up to the house. On the patio, we saw a poster. "Answers to the Questions I Know You Are Asking" was the headline. The first answer was a simple one."50,000 bulbs," it read. The second answer was, "One at a time, by one woman. Two hands, two feet, and very little brain." The third answer was, "Began in 1958."

There it was, The Daffodil Principle. For me, that moment was a life-changing experience. I
thought of this woman whom I had never met, who, more than forty years before, had begun-one bulb at a time-to bring her vision of beauty and joy to an obscure mountain top. Still, just planting one bulb at a time, year after year, had changed the world. This unknown woman had forever changed the world in which she lived. She had created something of ineffable magnificence, beauty, and inspiration.

The principle her daffodil garden taught is one of the greatest principles of celebration. That is,
learning to move toward our goals and desires one step at a time-often just one baby-step at a time-and learning to love the doing, learning to use the accumulation of time. When we multiply tiny pieces of time with small increments of daily effort, we too will find we can accomplish magnificent things. We can change the world.

"It makes me sad in a way," I admitted to Carolyn. "What might I have accomplished if I had thought of a wonderful goal thirty-five or forty years ago and had worked away at it 'one bulb at a time' through all those years. Just think what I might have been able to achieve!"
My daughter summed up the message of the day in her usual direct way. "Start tomorrow," she said.
It's so pointless to think of the lost hours of yesterdays. The way to make learning a lesson of celebration instead of a cause for regret is to only ask, "How can I put this to use today?"
* Author Unknown

We convince ourselves that life will be better after we get married, have a baby, then another. Then we are frustrated that the kids aren't old enough and we'll be more content when they are. After that, we're frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with. We will certainly be happy when they are out of that stage.

We tell ourselves that our life will be complete when our spouse gets his or her act together, when we get a nicer car, when we are able to go on a nice vacation, or when we retire.
The truth is there's no better time to be happy than right now. If not now, when? Your life will always be filled with challenges. It's best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway. Happiness is the way. So, treasure every moment that you have and treasure it more because you shared it with someone special, special enough to spend your time with... and remember that time waits for no one.

So, stop waiting...
Until your car or home is paid off
Until you get a new car or home
Until your kids leave the house
Until you go back to school
Until you finish school
Until you lose weight
Until you gain weight
Until you get married
Until you get a divorce
Until you have kids
Until you retire
Until summer
Until spring
Until winter
Until fall
Until you die

There is no better time than right now to be happy. Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
So work like you don't need money,
Sing like no one’s listening,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one's watching

Ka3n
Sun, Nov-11-01, 11:59
Repeat after me....I feel better.....I'm healthier....I feel better....I'm healthier......I feel better.....I'm healthier

I feel better, I'm healthier, I feel better, I'm healthier...yeah! That works for me, too Flintstone! By the way, I just saw where you're from and 'got' your handle. LOL! cool.

Ka3n
Sun, Nov-11-01, 12:02
Unhurried Winners Yeah! The unhurried, totally in control, laid back, soo kewl Winners :D That's us! hee hee

Cheryl R
Sun, Nov-11-01, 12:13
Unhurried Winner...... I love that!!!!! I really love that!!!!!

Wow...I'm really loving that. I'm going to write it all over my house...I'm going to put up notes every where.

Did I say that I really love that :daze: :daze:

Well, I do. I lost 4 pounds my first week, but in the last 5 days...nothing has happened to the scale. I never lose 2 weeks in a row, but then this is a different way of eating...so....I'm gone see if it stands the test of time. And, You all are right...forget the scale, I am feeling better each and every day. Now I need to start incorporating some good physical exercise.
Cheryl

mrsvvt2001
Sun, Nov-11-01, 12:32
THANK YOU K3N!
I love the Dolly Parton song "Dance" because it reflects my Mother's passion for life and what she tried to instill in me. I am afraid that in my life when I've had the choice to "sit it out or dance" I've chosen to sit it out too many times. My Mother was always out there on the floor and I'll bet that in a lifetime of many gardens, she planted more than her share of bulbs. Now more than ever it's time for all of us to live our live today!
Again, thank you for your sentiments.

LC Sponge
Sun, Nov-11-01, 15:41
This is a great thread - Katherine - that was a great story.

I love the "Unhurried Winners" handle, too.

Susan19
Sun, Nov-11-01, 17:01
I feel so much better having read all of these posts! I have lost only 4 (ok, a whopping 4!) pounds on induction and I am 11 days in. But...I am convinced I am a complete carb addict and kicking the habit is more important to me than losing a million pounds in a day. I guess I just need to stick it out and see where this all goes. I'm going to start really reading those low-carb cookbooks I just bought in bulk (thank goodness bn.com has free shipping right now! haha) and drink my water. Slow loss is better than no loss!
Susan

Kirkwood
Sun, Nov-11-01, 17:49
This is a GREAT idea. Went off of WOL as soon as I got pregnant and didn't jump back on until after I finished breastfeeding. Lord, is it much slower this time. But...you guys are right. There is no place else to go. We're going to start trying to have another child after the first of the year, but this time, I think I'm going to do things a little bit different. I'm going to continue the diet with one exception - I'm adding fruit. I figure that should provide me with sufficient carbs, plus, one added benefit - it keeps my house sugar free for my 8 month old son.

Take care!

Cheryl R
Sun, Nov-11-01, 18:35
:thup: I was wondering how the pregnancy thing worked. My niece said she is going to start the program soon, but doesn't know if she should start right after the baby is born...it's due on Nov 21st. Or should she wait until after breast feeding. I thoght maybe she could start while she was breast feeding... Or at least while she's breast feeding she should stay away from the really bad carbs like, sweets and breads and pastas??? Any one got feed back...She's a slow loser too. She gained about 40 with this pregnancy...but on her last one, she lost 30 in the first 6 weeks, and never could get off the other 10..plus she needs to lose 30 or so besides that. She was wondering how this would affect breast feeding...I never though to ask here until I saw someone mention pregnancy.
Cheryl

doreen T
Sun, Nov-11-01, 18:41
Pregnancy and breastfeeding while low-carbing has come up before. You can read a discussion about it here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22455) and here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3840). Hope this gives you the info you need.:)

Doreen

Dizz
Sun, Nov-11-01, 19:31
Hi, my name is Dizz. I'm an Unhurried Winner. haha Is it misery loves company or new and improved.... Winners love company!! Count me in. 2lbs since Oct 26. Gotta conquer exercise.

moussie48
Sun, Nov-11-01, 19:48
I like that attitude Doreen! Thanks!

Ka3n
Sun, Nov-11-01, 22:01
Is it misery loves company or new and improved.... Winners love company!! Oh hey, I like that, too! YES, it works for me! :thup:Count me in. 2lbs since Oct 26. Gotta conquer exercise. Dizz, it's frustrating, but it's true that we do feel better, and well you're in such GOOD company :D here, that we'll just stick it out with you. I know what you mean about the exercise thing. I just do yoga once or twice a week. I bought a club membership and figure that I'm helping the economy if nothing else :D LOL

Bez
Mon, Nov-12-01, 07:03
I'm in and you can't get a slower loser than me!!!!

Ditto to everything said.

Wonderful story Ka3 but my daughter would not be happy with you about the singing bit as I alway's sing like no one's listening and she's always begging me to be quiet. And we should all think like that all of the time as life is to short to worry about anything.

LOL to all,

Bez

:wiggle: :rose: :wiggle: :rose: :wiggle:

Ka3n
Mon, Nov-12-01, 12:28
I love the Dolly Parton song "Dance" because it reflects my Mother's passion for life and what she tried to instill in me. I am afraid that in my life when I've had the choice to "sit it out or dance" I've chosen to sit it out too many times. My Mother was always out there on the floor and I'll bet that in a lifetime of many gardens, she planted more than her share of bulbs. Now more than ever it's time for all of us to live our live today! Charlotte, I've not heard the Dolly Parton song, but your mom sure must have been an inspiration to many people. Your comment about now being the time to live our (own) lives today is so true. Don't you feel like this WOL helps us to take charge of an area in our lives that was either out of control or crazy-making-too-strickly controlled?

Ka3n
Mon, Nov-12-01, 12:37
Wonderful story Ka3 but my daughter would not be happy with you about the singing bit as I alway's sing like no one's listening and she's always begging me to be quiet. :lol: I play the guitar and sing. Funny thing is that I seem to do it best when no one is listening. THe fears that I have about 'doing it right' and 'what will they think' keeps me from being my best. I'm working on it in all areas of my life. Frankly, I think that you're a wonderful role model for your daughter by continuing to sing from your heart like no one is listening!! :thup:
And we should all think like that all of the time as life is to short to worry about anything. You're so right. Life is too short to worry, and yet it's like a plague. I've found that the cure is to just do it! ;)

Lessara
Mon, Nov-12-01, 12:50
I think I'm a turtle now... I lost 2 lbs in the last month.. is that slow enough? Again, I don't mind, I love this LC just for the health benifits! I do think my cycle slows me down. I keep gaining 10 lbs a week or two before my TOM and it takes me two weeks to loose that and the two pounds. My body just loves to keep its water!! :D
Got a question, Tamarian.. can we add more threads or is this tread it?

doreen T
Mon, Nov-12-01, 12:55
hi Lessara - click on "new thread" and post away.:D .. I want to get another thread going on special concerns for Unhurried Winners over the coming holiday season, etc.

I look forward to your new thread ;)

Doreen

mrsvvt2001
Mon, Nov-12-01, 12:56
Katherine
The complete line of the song is "and when you have the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance!' And yes, Mother was an inspiration to everyone she knew, she died last year of advanced Alzheimer's disease, but up to her last days, when music played she would clap her hands, smile, and try to sing. By the way, her name was Katherine. Since her passing I try to enjoy everyday the way she did but I'm not always succesful. It's sure been hard lately.
You are so right about this WOL being a way to get at least 1 aspect of our lives under a kinder, gentler form of control.
I was so upbeat this AM, lost another pound and was about to post to the Turtle Club joking that I would lose my membership, then more horrible news over the TV. We certainly have no form of control over the exterior of our lives today.
Try to have a good day.
Charlotte

Ka3n
Mon, Nov-12-01, 13:37
. We certainly have no form of control over the exterior of our lives today. No, but I remind myself that I do have control of my reactions to them. I decide how I will respond to my grief and anger (by healthily processing them & not stuffing them) and how I will live my life. It's more important than ever to allow ourselves the freedom to celebrate life without guilt while in the midst of tragedy. It sounds like you've had a very tough year and are ready to move on.
Way to go on your weight loss! :thup: Your mom sounds like she was such a happy person who loved music and celebrated life! Not to mention the fact that she had the best name ever! ;) hee hee

doreen T
Mon, Nov-12-01, 13:43
Originally posted by mrsvvt2001
The complete line of the song is "and when you have the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance!' hi Charlotte,

I'm sure your Mother's joie de vivre touched and moved the lives of many others too. :rose:

Just to mention, I do believe the song "I Hope You Dance" was performed by Lee Ann Womack, but I admit for the longest time I also thought it was Dolly Parton, since their voices are very similar.

Doreen

Bez
Mon, Nov-12-01, 15:44
Hi all,

I'ts so nice when we go off subject and each give a little piece of ourselve away, it makes the world a nicer place to be.

Here's to fond memories and happy thoughts.

Bez

:wave: :wave:

mrsvvt2001
Mon, Nov-12-01, 16:53
Doreen, that is so funny. I've only heard the song on the radio and never really paid attention when or if they named the artist. She sounds exactly like Dolly! Everytime I hear it I get the "warm fuzzies" because every line is my Mother's philosphy of life. Yes she inspired many, every nurse and aide who took care of her,that could get off work, came to her funeral to honor her spirit.
Anyway thanks for setting me straight, I am going to buy the CD and I would have been looking forever under Parton!

Tama
Mon, Nov-12-01, 22:17
Great idea for a forum, I must say. I am a slow loser, but fairly steady. Seem to keep it around 1/2 to 2lbs. a week. (Who am I kidding, 1/2 lb. a week). I look at it in milestones. first, I got excited to be out of the 150's, then I got excited to weigh less than before I had my last child... Baby steps, baby steps. I'm going to get there - we all are. I just love that I am not hating the journey, like my previous diets made me feel. Way to go everybody!
Hugs, Tama :wave:

mrsvvt2001
Mon, Nov-12-01, 22:55
How true about not hating the journey, that's what I had to make myself realize when I got so discouraged. I LIKE TO EAT THIS WAY, so just enjoy it and let the weight come off at the pace my body wants to do it, as Doreen says "Unhurried Winner". It is so remarkable not to be hungry anymore. On WW and every other LF diet, I was literally starving all the time and thinking something was wrong with me, not the diet.
A typical breakfast of cereal, milk, banana - starving 1 hour later, no that's not true, I was starving right after I ate it! Now, 2 fried eggs and 4 strips of bacon! Never, never hungry! No, I surely don't hate this journey.

coquina
Tue, Nov-13-01, 01:28
I'm with you, mrsvvt2001. I don't care how long it takes to lose the weight (well, before I die, please) as long as I'm not hungry all the time. 12 days and still only 3 lbs down, but man! I am enjoying everything I eat these days. :D

--Coquina

Ka3n
Tue, Nov-13-01, 07:28
I understand what you're saying. It's amazing how full I feel with this WOE, too. The carbs always make me feel hungrier. Isn't it great that we found out what works for us?
:D

Tama
Tue, Nov-13-01, 11:59
I got on the scale this morning, and it hasn't gone down. But, you know what? It hasn't gone up either. It's all good.
We'll get there.
Hugs, Tama

pegm
Tue, Nov-13-01, 13:14
Count me in on this club! I was out of town over the weekend and just found this thread. I'm a very S L O W loser, but can't begin to describe how good I feel since I began this WOE. I actually did gain over the weekend, but it's probably retained water from not being able to drink enough water.

How slowly do I lose weight? Well, I once told my friend that if I continue losing at this rate, I'll reach my goal weight when I'm 150 years old -- and as good as I feel, I just might succeed!

YogaBuff
Tue, Nov-13-01, 18:06
I didn't know this was here.............

HOME SWEET HOME!!!!!

yb

mrsvvt2001
Wed, Nov-14-01, 11:17
I am now the Chairman of the Board of the Turtle Club!

Lost 1 lb 3 days ago so thought it was gone for good - but - it missed me so it came back today!

Sometimes I feel like Little Bo Peep!

Holly G
Wed, Nov-14-01, 12:52
Can I join? I thought it was my age, 54. Seems like it used to be so easy. I've lost this same 30 lbs about 4 or 5 times. Each time gets harder. I did LC for about a year and loved it. I am so glad to be back!
:wave:
Holly G

poobean
Wed, Nov-14-01, 16:15
Hiya: boy oh boy - I was kinda hoping my first club membership might be the 'hare's :p , but I'm going to keep hoping that slow and steady wins the race - and I'd sure like to talk to others who are not making stellar progress...
What do we do next?

Ka3n
Wed, Nov-14-01, 22:08
What do we do next? Well, poobean, I just gave up dairy, I've heard that it causes some people to stall. What are the rest of you doing? Any tricks up you sleeves? Come on, spill the beans...uh, pork rinds. ;)Can I join? I thought it was my age, 54. Seems like it used to be so easy. I've lost this same 30 lbs about 4 or 5 times. Each time gets harder. I did LC for about a year and loved it. I am so glad to be back! Hi Holly, as far as I know anyone can join...and I'm glad you're here. You've been successful before with Atkins! WTG. I hope that you post often and share your experiences with us. :wave:
I like what Tama said, We'll get there.

Ka3n
Wed, Nov-14-01, 22:12
Lost 1 lb 3 days ago so thought it was gone for good - but - it missed me so it came back today! Sorry to hear about that Charlotte. Sigh :rolleyes: It can be so frustrating at times. BUt, just think how wonderful it will be when it leaves you and takes more of it's friends with it...for good!

Bez
Fri, Nov-16-01, 11:59
HI Ka3n,

I've cut down on nuts and will only allow myself 4 Briazils as a treat and if that fails then the nuts will have to go and then I suppose dairy will have to be next. I like the dairy bit best though so it will be a real wrench for me :(

It's an ongoing struggle ....never mind I'm sure we'll get there in the end!!

Bez

:spin: :spin: :spin:

mrsvvt2001
Fri, Nov-16-01, 12:49
Hi, same here. Nuts went yesterday, cheese today. I'll be kicking and screaming when they take my cream!

Holly G
Fri, Nov-16-01, 20:31
Hi, everyone. I started a food diary today. I know you aren't supposed to have to count calories, but I think it might help me account for what I am eating. I was surprised to find only 1,220 calories and I am not feeling too hungry. Giving up pop is the hardest right now.

I hear you about the nuts MRSVVT. I love walnuts but see that 1/4 cup is 190 calories.

Also thanks for the welcome Ka3n. I am glad to be getting back to the Adkins. I felt really out of control. Everyday it was "oh, just this one more treat" but there was always "just one more" buttered popcorn, pizza, on and on. It is a relief to feel that I have put it to a halt and am getting some control.

Holly G

Holly G
Sat, Nov-17-01, 09:34
Kirkwood. I have been searching for buddies in Nebraska and found you. I'm from Omaha.

ludi54
Sat, Nov-17-01, 11:42
I am signing up for the Turle Club. I think I qualify, I was on Atkins for 3 weeks with no loss on the scale. I did feel great though. Anyways, I let it slide now for a few weeks. I am back and eager for some weight loss before Christmas.

coquina
Sat, Nov-17-01, 15:21
ludi54 -- I guess I shouldn't complain. I'm just starting my 4th week of Atkins and have only lost 3 pounds so far. Now I'm not only keeping an online diary, today I started monitoring what I eat with a computer program I have. I'll be able to tell exactly how many nutrients I'm getting, and what the breakdown is between carbs, protein and fats. I'm already finding hidden carbs. For example, no one told me that there's 1g of carbs in a cup of decaf coffee! I thought since it was decaf I could drink as much as I want.

I know about eating 10-12 times your body weight in calories, but somewhere someone posted the recommended ratio of carbs to protein to fats per day. Does anyone know what that should be? And does it matter what the breakdown of fats is? Is any ratio of saturated, mono-unsaturated, poly-unsaturated okay?

I didn't know this was going to get so complicated, but I guess anything is until you get used to it and get it tailored to your system.

Coquina

Tama
Sat, Nov-17-01, 22:03
Hey, fellow tortoises. :) I noticed several of you giving tips on how you get the scales to budge. Now, I don't have any food tips (yet), but I've started reading in what little spare time I have and, surprisingly, it has helped keep my mind off food. When I used to have the kids in bed or some quiet time to myself, I would immediately go to the kitchen, thinking about a snack. Now, I go to my recliner and my book. I think about snacking about half as much. I guess it would have to be a pretty good read though, huh? Believe it or not, what has kept my attention so well lately is the 'Harry Potter' series - my daughter said I just HAD to read them!!
I know, I'm goofy.
Hugs, Tama

coquina
Sun, Nov-18-01, 01:40
Tama -- Not goofy! I've read all the Harry Potter books and I don't even have any grandkids to read them to. :) Reading won't keep me from snacking, tho. I read constantly, and I associate reading and eating, 'cause I do most of my reading at the dining room table. I would love to have a recliner to lounge and read in! It might break me of the habit.

With Atkins I am doing better on snacking, tho. I'm just not as hungry as I used to be, so I don't eat as often. That also seems to be helping me break the habit of eating when I'm not hungry.

Coquina

danume
Sun, Nov-18-01, 01:47
I agree....unhurried winners.......... :D

mrsvvt2001
Sun, Nov-18-01, 09:00
Definitely not goofy, the Harry Potter series returns me to my childhood when fantasy books ignited my imagination. I'm 62 and I love them, trying to convince DH to read them. Unfortunately, doesn't help the snacking, can always get 1 hand free to reach for the goodies, lol

CatBat
Sun, Nov-18-01, 10:52
my body has joined the turtle club. I had such grand ideas of losing 35 pounds in 6-8 months. Now I know better. I have fallen off and gotten back on and fallen off again and gotten back on again. Each time, I have learned something but it is a struggle. I am glad I am doing this though. I am trying to focus on more than just the weight. I have found two positive side effects so far- no hot flashes and strong nails. Everyone, hang in !!! we are all winners !!! :D

Lessara
Sun, Nov-18-01, 13:11
Yes folks you heard it here.
I gave up nuts, including Macadamian.
Shocking isn't it?
Cream cheese is my next thing coming of my plan.
That is if I can keep it out of my house! ;)

coquina
Sun, Nov-18-01, 14:49
I'm giving up my treasured macadamia nuts, too, at least for now. I'm saving them for when I know I'm not going to be somewhere I can get the things I need to eat, and really need to have a snack with me.

I'm glad to hear about the strong nails! I have a lifelong problem with weak nails. They only got better last summer when my naturopath put me on 2 T. vegetable protein/day. I haven't been taking it, 'cause I used to mix it with milk & OJ. I was hoping all the meat & seafood & dairy would suffice.

Coquina :wave:

Lessara
Sun, Nov-18-01, 16:11
My nails use to fold over and anything would strip them off, including my nibbling ;)
Now my nails are long and strong. I can actually use my nails to tighten screws! (I only did this once, honest!) :D
I do use Vitamin E on them and I buff them 3 times a week. Thats it. The important thing is that they are too hard for me to nibble on! :p

Joanne06
Sun, Nov-18-01, 17:06
I am so happy I found this link -- it's just what I needed. I got on the scale yesterday for the first time since I started this woe 7 weeks ago and was really disappointed at the numbers. I probably lost a total of 8 pounds, if that.

I get discouraged when I read of the success of most other members. Now I know there are others out there like me.
I know this woe is working because I feel so much better - don't have that awful water retention and I'm starting to look better.

I need to look at some of the things I'm doing that might be inhibiting my weight loss -- but give up?? NEVER!! This is a good way to eat.

What do you do when you have cravings? I have been eating a handful of peanuts and think this might be my problem.

anita
Sun, Nov-18-01, 17:54
Originally posted by Joanne06
I am so happy I found this link -- it's just what I needed. I got on the scale yesterday for the first time since I started this woe 7 weeks ago and was really disappointed at the numbers. I probably lost a total of 8 pounds, if that.

I get discouraged when I read of the success of most other members. Now I know there are others out there like me.
I know this woe is working because I feel so much better - don't have that awful water retention and I'm starting to look better.

I need to look at some of the things I'm doing that might be inhibiting my weight loss -- but give up?? NEVER!! This is a good way to eat.

What do you do when you have cravings? I have been eating a handful of peanuts and think this might be my problem.
hi Joanne -- Welcome! You have come to the right place. I have been on LC since 6/8/01 and have lost about 20 lbs -- I am not discouraged -- we all lose at our own rate. About the peanuts -- eating peanuts or any kind of peanut butter (natural or otherwise) makes me gain -- no matter what -- I stay clear of any peanuts.
Hang in there!
Anita

mrsvvt2001
Sun, Nov-18-01, 18:32
Hi Joanne,
I haven't found a good way to handle cravings. If I eat anything when I'm in that "mode" it just makes the craving worse. If I eat sweet I want salty and so on. So I try to just drink water (neutral taste)and try to ignore it. It sure isn't easy. The good thing is I only have cravings very late at night so often I just go to bed.

moussie48
Sun, Nov-18-01, 19:05
I think people recommend when you have cravings to eat some protein. I'm happy to say with this WOE I have not had a problem with cravings. I am SO thrilled about that. Sometimes when I see something - like Sweet Tarts candy - that I used to eat I want some but it's just habit and not really my body craving that. When that happens to me though I usually drink some water and that helps me.

YogaBuff
Sun, Nov-18-01, 22:18
Cat-Bat.... No more hot flashes. Isn't that grand?
My problem was night sweats. Haven't woke up at 3 am., soaking wet in two mos. Started LC 3 mos. ago. Heaven. :D

I tried all that ahem.... stuff (before LC) that said if you ate lots of soy products, like the Okinawans, you'd stop hot flashes. What a lot of hooey :rolleyes: . All I got was gas and indigestion to go with my hot- flashes.

yb

jverhale
Mon, Nov-19-01, 10:23
I'm so happy to have found this place. I've been low-carbing faithfully for 4.5 months and have lost 20lbs. I was becoming very discourged when I read about people who were losing 2-3 lbs a week! or challenging themselves to lose 25 lbs. by Christmas. Whoa!?? I saw that and wondered, what the heck is wrong with me? But now I'm among peers who are facing the struggle that I am... Thanks.

heavy2long
Mon, Nov-19-01, 10:51
I am definately a turtle. In fact, is there anything slower than a turtle? Maybe a slug? I have been on the Atkins for 17 weeks and have lost 14 lbs. I feel that is tremendously slow.

This probably isn't the right place to say this but, I see that some people call it "cheating" but I call it falling off the wagon only because I have a serious addiction to refined sugars. I took the first bite and it has been downhill from there for the last 2 weeks approximately. I gained two pounds but have lost 1. I think alot of my regression is the loss of my motivation. If anyone has seen one wandereing around lost, that would be mine. I would appreciate you sending it back. I am at the point where I am just bored with this whole thing. Thanks for letting me rant. I'm the only one around me that is on the LC diet and I find that people just don't understand it!!

poobean
Mon, Nov-19-01, 12:24
Hi there Heavy2long (very cute!) :p I've been at this now for 5 weeks, and I have to tell you, it's very discouraging to not have the pounds melt off... One of the people I work with keeps telling me I must be cheating cuz he lost 21 pounds in 2 months. I think I've probably lost 3 or so... :( but when it comes to motivation, to be honest, I'm terrified to fall off the wagon in case I suddenly balloon up another 10 pounds!
Hang in there kiddo! :wave:

heavy2long
Mon, Nov-19-01, 12:30
Thanks for the encouragement, Poobean. I was at a point where I was terified to loose my motivation because like my name says, heavy too long. I was tired of it and desperately wanted to change. I guess I am complacent at my current weight. I will get it back, I just hope it is soon!

coquina
Mon, Nov-19-01, 12:39
Heavy2long, a pound a week is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, it's the healthiest rate to lose weight at, and if you keep it up long enough, your chances of keeping that weight off are much better. Don't let the "easy weight loss" people beat you down!

TURTLES UNITE!!! :cheer:

Coquina

heavy2long
Mon, Nov-19-01, 12:44
Thanks for the message, Coquina. It's hard to remain patient sometimes when the nasty part of human nature wants it yesterday!! I try to tell myself it took me 12 years to put it all on, it will take awhile to take it all back off!!

lilwannabe
Mon, Nov-19-01, 22:03
Okay...I have dragged myself here...kicking and screaming the whole time... "BUT I DON'T WANT TO BE A TURTLE" All kidding aside this is were I need to be...

Here's my story in a nut shell. I started doing this WOL on Sept 29th this year. I did fantastic for the first 2 weeks...on CAD. I lost 8 lbs. Then NOTHING...(well not nothing...but very little) So I thought to myself..everyone seems to have such great success with Atkins...I will give that a go...so began induction....I did that for 2 weeks...and did cheat once..with a LC bar...and too many nuts. (That was last weekend) So...yesterday I weigh myself...and I am up...not 2 but 3 lbs...I was down to 228...and this morning I felt bigger still...(although I did not weigh)

So now I have tossed the Atkins...And am back to CAD. I am frustrated that the weight will not move quickly...but I love all the food I get on CAD...so even if it takes a life time...I will eventually get there. (and if not...at least I will feel healthy.)

So that is my story...

Holly G
Tue, Nov-20-01, 05:42
Welcome to the Turtle Club. Let's hope we don't have to stay forever but you will get lot's of good encouragement here. I had to add two pounds back on my profile this morning. Bummer. My goal today is going to be NO nuts and NO pork rinds. Last night I grabbed a handful each time I walked into the kitchen....almost without thinking.
Good wishes for all of you today.

lilwannabe
Tue, Nov-20-01, 22:10
Thankyou for the welcome...as you can see I really am a turtle...even slow with getting back to you on here. lol....Feeling thinner today...Will weigh on friday...if nothing has moved...I am just going to leave the stupid scale alone. I hope it does tho.:D

coquina
Tue, Nov-20-01, 22:37
Sheesh! My turtle is walking backwards! I only lost 3 pounds in 3 weeks of induction, and today I gained one of them back. I know I'm not eating more than 20g of carbs/day, so I don't know what else to do.

Coquina

Holly G
Wed, Nov-21-01, 05:26
Hi guys! I was bummed because I had to add the last 3 lbs I lost back on yesterday morning. I was MAD, so last night I tried a new trick and it worked for me. I promised myself, no snacks.....all I had was half a can of beef consumme. It was rough, but I just watched tv, took a nap, watched more tv and didn't do anything but water. This morning the 3 lbs were gone plus one more! I feel like it's a battle. Me against the scale. Hope maybe this will work for some others. :roll:

r.mines
Wed, Nov-21-01, 09:36
Slowly, slowly, goes the turtle,
With a plod and not a hurtle.
Will the turtle quit the game?
No, she'll get there just the same!

For this particular turtle, emphasizing leaner meats and lower-fat, lower-calorie foods seems to help. I've described my latest 'tweak' in my journal, if anyone's interested. I'm still turtle-ing, but the last couple of weeks seem to have broken a three-month stall.

I've averaged 2-3 pounds a month since starting Atkins about a year ago, which is turtle-ish by any account, but since approaching 15 pounds to goal, it's slowed even further. As long as I get there eventually!

Rachel

coquina
Wed, Nov-21-01, 11:34
That nasty pound I gained back yesterday is gone again today. :) I think from now on I will ignore any weight gain unless it stays there for more than a day or two.

Rachel, did you only lose 2-3 lbs/month during induction, too? I could handle that if I thought I would eventually get somewhere near my goal in a year.

Coquina

Janjan
Wed, Nov-21-01, 11:36
I'm in too. 4 pounds in a month and I started walking 30 minutes a day a month ago also. I hate the scale so much!! Every time I get on it it says the same stupid number!! How can I be working so hard and getting nowhere? Rachel, I've been wondering if I should cut back on the fat.

lilwannabe
Wed, Nov-21-01, 20:49
Holly...congrats on losing the 3 plus one..yeah for you...it always feels good when that happens huh!

:clap:...I am hoping I will be down on friday too.

lilwannabe
Fri, Nov-23-01, 12:09
Weighed myself today, Back down to 228...I will take that and run...very happy about this loss. Now if I could just get below this.. :D