PDA

View Full Version : Crockpot Roast Sticky Chicken

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Raydie
Thu, Nov-08-01, 10:30
Here's a yummy recipe that i found that i have marinating for tomorrow evening that sounds Oh so yummy!!

Crockpot Roast Sticky Chicken
4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 large roasting chicken
(NOTE: I didn't have any white pepper so i used a total of 1 tsp. black pepper instead)

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight. When ready to cook, put the bird into the crockpot and do not add any liquid. As the cooking process goes on it will
produce it's own juices. Cook on low 8 - 10 hours and it will be falling off the bone tender.

itsjoyful
Thu, Nov-08-01, 10:55
you take it out of the bag before you put it in the crock pot, right?
:)

Raydie
Thu, Nov-08-01, 12:15
Oopsies! Yes, take it out of the bag and place it in the crockpot...sorry! :)

alto
Sun, Nov-11-01, 17:26
I made this today -- with a few substitutions. I used 8 chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken; a whole chicken won't fit in my crockpot. This worked fine, but reduce cooking time. By 8 hours, I would have had only a puddle and some bones left :) I also didn't have either thyme or onion powder. Details, details :)

Anyway, it's very spicy, it fell off the bones as advertized, and I'm vary grateful for the recipe. I've been eating bland, creamy things, and this was a nice break!

THANK YOU, RAYDIE :)

Raydie
Mon, Nov-12-01, 06:34
You are quite welcome alto! I LOVE this recipe and plan on using it when we do Xmas turkey! It is definitely delicious. I have some thighs and breasts in the freezer that i am going to use it on too. It is also delicious cold!

:roll:

Heeligan2
Sat, Nov-17-01, 18:06
I have made this crock pot sticky chicken and it is very good. There is a non-crock pot version for those whose crock pots won't hold a large roaster. You just put it uncovered in a roasting pan, put a cup of chopped onions in the cavity (you don't eat these) and roast at 250 degrees for about 5 hours, basting occasionally. The spices are basically the same. This recipe is from Paul Prudhomme. His theory is that using both white and black peppers adds complexity.

The version made in the oven rather than the crockpot is even more delicious in my opinion -- it is one of my favorites, and so easy.

andysbunny
Sat, May-04-02, 15:49
I also have made this recipe for YEARS in the oven, and my DH absolutely craves it. :D We both love it from the oven because of the wonderful crispy skin it gets. And yes, it is a bit spicy. The dripping make great soup stock, but don't try to make any gravy from it unless you want it to burn all the way down and out!!! :eek:

I make up 10 lbs of leg quarters at a time ( on sale, $.27 a lb!) and freeze in dinner-with-lunch-leftovers sized portions. It is so easy to do in the oven, I have never thought of using my crockpot. I guess the skin won't get as crispy, but it will still be yummy! ;)

alto
Sat, May-04-02, 18:16
The skin doesn't get crispy -- but what a nice thought! I'll try it in the oven -- thanks. I'm a slapdash cook, and it never occurred to me that the texture of food would be different in a crockpot. (Yeah, I know, dumb dumb)

catinhat
Sun, Jun-09-02, 22:23
Well, I didn't have thyme, so I used basil. I didn't have a whole chicken, but I had skinless chicken thighs. I soaked the chicken in water with some salt substitute (potassium) for a few hours in the fridge. I patted them dry, sprinkled them with all the herbs, then cooked them on the gas grill - delicious!! Thank you very much for the idea, even though I did something somewhat different!!
-Catinhat :wave:

TriciaW
Fri, Jan-10-03, 13:29
Thank you so much for posting this! I made this yesterday and it turned out great! It literally fell of the bone--after cooking I boned it and shredded it and mixed the juices back in with the meat. Now I have a tupperware full of shredded seasoned chicken meat! Very economical. I will be making this a lot!

Candiflip
Tue, Sep-30-03, 12:45
Thank you so much for posting this recipe! My husband & I both enjoy it! :p

momx6
Sat, Oct-25-03, 08:12
Hi Raydie, loved your recipe! Do you have any other crock pot recipes? I'm having a hard time finding any for low carb recipes. Thanks again! It was delicious!

KarenMT
Sun, Oct-26-03, 07:07
I've made this recipe twice now, only using whole cut-up chicken. The second time, I did two chickens since, cut up, they fit in my pot, AND, we had company for dinner!. We love it and so did the company! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe!

Karen
in Montana

Kristine
Thu, Nov-13-03, 16:36
Hot dang, this is some good chicken! I made it in the oven with drumsticks. I baked it at about 300 F for just over two hours. Another recipe recommended 5 hours at 200, but I didn't have that much time. ;) I just kept an eye on it with a meat thermometer.

It was a tad too salty for me, but I'll just cut back next time. :thup:

cheftracy
Thu, Nov-13-03, 18:52
I was a Personal Chef for a few years and this was a top recipe for many clients. Easy for us too ;)

Tracy

nawchem
Mon, Nov-17-03, 09:53
I made this recipe last night. I just marinaded 2 hours and threw it in the crockpot overnight. It was easy and tastes great!

quibbers
Mon, Nov-17-03, 10:05
OK- another board member pointed me this way...and we both want to know why is it called "sticky" chicken???? Dumb question I know, but I ain't t'fraid to ask-yuk yuk :D

nawchem
Mon, Nov-17-03, 14:38
I was wondering that also.

mommyto3
Mon, Jan-12-04, 10:36
I've got this cooking in my crockpot right now! I can't wait to try it when I get home!

Thanks!!

tammy39
Sun, Mar-07-04, 23:18
going to cook this for hubby tomorrow,sounds soooooooo good

bafmrf
Wed, Mar-10-04, 11:19
Can you add some toward the end of the cook time? I would love to add peppers, onion, etc. Anyone try it?

Martha

Saffa
Thu, Apr-01-04, 17:49
I'm not sure why they call it sticky.. messy is more like it :)

I went out and bought my first crockpot last weekend just so that I could try this. Oh my.. the smells waiting for me when I got home! (I'm pretty sure I drove my cats nuts all day, too..)

This was terrific and will definitely stay on my favorite recipe list! Thanks for sharing.

~Saffa

rloveman
Sat, May-01-04, 20:20
I made this in the oven to crisp the skin. The first time, it was delicious but so salty I had to toss the skin on the whole batch. Second time, I used a quarter of the salt called for, and it was excellent.

jerppt
Mon, May-03-04, 22:08
Raydie,
This was better then the roast chicken you get at WalMArt or any other store-It was so moist and full of all kinds of great flavor!!
Thanks so much for posting htis--YUM YUM!!!! :D :D :D

NANCI B
Tue, May-04-04, 17:50
I love this spice blend. I use it on other things too. Pork roast, ribs, boneless chicken breast and thighs. I even put a spoonful into my tuna salad. I make up a tupperware bowl full of it so I will always have it on hand.

C-u-lean
Tue, Sep-28-04, 01:06
I have made this at least half a dozen times and have forgotten to give my review, which is WONDERFUL! of course! (Hence the 5 other times I have made it).

The family is ALWAYS asking for this now.

Thank you!

Chutatip_t
Sun, Oct-10-04, 08:39
How was the chicken skin come out like? Pale? Jiggly??
would it be better if i brown the chicken pieces in skillet first?
is it supposed to be eaten plan or with some sauce?

chann
Thu, Dec-09-04, 12:11
I would just like to say that I made this last night and it was AWESOME! Thank you for posting this!

Nancy LC
Mon, Dec-13-04, 07:31
I made this yesterday and cooked it in the oven for 4-ish hours at 250. I used a cut up chicken rather than a whole one. But the skin didn't really come out all that crispy! What's the secret to getting really crispy skin?

Fortunately I forgot to add the salt and I just sprinkled a little sea salt over it later on. I almost died when I saw the amount of salt it uses! That's a huge amount!

Karen
Mon, Dec-13-04, 09:20
Low heat won't crisp the skin. Higher temperatures - around 400F - for pieces of chicken works. But then you sacrifice the tender, melting qualities if the "sticky" chicken. Also make sure that the skin is really dry before roasting and the pieces aren't crowded together in the pan.

To roast a whole chicken, this site explains it very well

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00015.asp

Karen

Hilary M
Tue, Mar-29-05, 07:00
I made this yesterday, and it was fantastic! Best chicken I have ever made — even The World's Pickiest Husband loved it. I used a whole chicken and the skin actually got pretty crispy in the crockpot; most of the skin anyway. The skin on the bottom of the chicken that was sitting in the drippings stayed pretty soft, but the whole thing was delicious. DH actually thought it might need a little MORE salt, but I thought it was perfect.

JetSet
Mon, May-09-05, 20:12
Mine is marinating in the refrigerator for tomorrow's dinner. I plan to put it in the oven. Is it true that it does not crisp up if cooked on 250 for 5 hours? For those whose turned out crispy in the oven--what exactly did you do?

Thanks in advance for some tips :)

P.S. I went the onions-in-cavity route. I also put the spice mix UNDER the skin as well as rubbed it all over the outside and in the cavity. I can't wait to see how that works!

superaunt
Fri, May-13-05, 09:08
I marinaded last night and chicken is in the crockpot as we speak!! I can not wait for tonight! :)

Thanks for the recipe!

superaunt
Mon, May-16-05, 10:38
AWESOME!!! I'm not a big fan of bone-in chicken, but as promised the meat fell of the bone!! This was just incredible!! Thanks soooooooooo much for the recipe! :)

wirlwind
Mon, May-16-05, 18:47
I made this today, and I did it on 250 in the oven for 4-5 hours, and it was so tender. I just pulled the bones out. The skin got pretty crispy also. I only used 2 and 1/2 tsp. salt instead of 4 and increased the garlic powder to 1 tsp. I scraped the juices and browned bits off of the bottom and mixed them with sour cream and had the most incredible cream sauce to eat with the chicken. I really loved this recipe.

syee745li
Wed, May-18-05, 18:53
made this today, and it is spectacular! definately making this again.. i put in oven ~ 250 for about 5.5 hours, and used leg quarters.. skin came out slightly crispy, and meat fell off the bone as promised! :thup:

Dreamy1
Mon, May-23-05, 03:50
Hi everyone. Just been reading all the posts here........... I have done chicken in the croc pot for years and it sure is an easy non -fuss meal! I chuck it all in the croc pot as I walk out the door and it sure is a lovely smelling house to come home to! I find that you seem to get quite alot of chicken fat appear in the juices which leave it totally swimming !!I usually try to remove as much fatas I can from around the tail end of the chicken before I put it on to cook. If you want crisp skin just cut the chicken in half with your kitchen scisssors and carefully lift each half onto roasting plate and grill skinside up afew mins till brown.Gives it a nicer roast look too.You can experiment and basically use any seasonings that you like. Vegies always cook quicker remember.I scrub my potatoes and leave whole so that they don't all break up.I cut the carrots in half lenthwise and then in half again.
Just my 2c worth!

Chillygatr
Wed, Jun-01-05, 20:20
I enjoy smoking turkeys and chickens. This recipe sounded a lot like a standard "rub" put on the night before you plan to smoke your meats. Since everyone seems to enjoy the spicey tastes, here are a few more rubs you can try experimenting with.

From "Smoke and Spice" cookbook by the Jamisons

"Quick Chick Rub"

1 T paprika
1 t salt
1 T sugar (substitute your favorite)
1/2 t fresh grounf black pepper
1/2 t onion powder
pinch cayenne

When you smoke, you use a "mop" which is a baste. This recipe asks for a mop of

1 c Orange juice
3 T butter
1 T worcestshire.

As a baste, the OJ just rolls off so your not eating a whole cup of carbs. i have no idea how to count them here. I have two chickens prepared for smoking tomorrow this way. I did not double the recipe for the 2 birds, but I did rub it between the meat and skin wherever I could. You get the best flavor that way.

Here's a different rub from a rib recipe one called "Apple City Baby Back Ribs". it would work with chicken.

1/4 c brown sugar (substitute 2 t sweet n low brown)
4 t onion powder
1 t ground cinnamon
1 t dry mustard
1 t salt
1/2 t dried thyme

This is from their "Lone Star Spareribs" recipe

1/3 c ground black pepper
1/4 c paprika
2 T sugar (substitute!)
1 T salt
1 T chili powder
1 1/2 t garlic powder
1 1/2 t onion powder

So rub it up and put it in your crock pot!

BTW; I enjoyed the sticky chicken but thought it was a tad too salty and I cut it down based on people's assessments. Still enjoyable though!

ssofian
Sun, Jun-19-05, 19:13
made this today in the crockpot - only thing I did differently was that I cut the salt in half. This was SOOOO good. The chicken fell off the bone AND my skin was crispy! Yum- I will be making this again.

ssofian
Wed, Jul-06-05, 11:15
I used this marinade/spice mix on some cornish game hens - did them in the crockpot as well...and they were delicious as well!

I'm thinking this would be a fabulous way to do turkey for thanksgiving.

Kristine
Wed, Aug-10-05, 09:53
I finally tried this in the crockpot, and it was awesome. I did it with a bag of chicken drumsticks. The chicken was so tender, I was able to eat it "finger lickin' good" style with my hands, and I'm not supposed to do that with braces on my teeth. :nono: This is a great recipe for anyone who needs soft food.

melloyello
Thu, May-31-07, 21:27
I make this chicken from time to time in my crockpot. I use half the salt and it turns out great EVERY time. It's so simple, but so good.

I never thought of roasting it. I will try that next time!

paleogal
Mon, Oct-22-07, 10:46
yum!
This has become a staple for me!

doreen T
Mon, Oct-22-07, 19:32
I made this on the weekend, and it turned out wonderful. Mmmmmmm :yum:

I don't have a large oval slow cooker; what I have is a 4L (4½ US quart) round model.

I used a whole chicken, 1.8kg (approx. 4 lbs), and half the salt called for in the original recipe. I also used 1 heaped tsp paprika, instead of 2, then added a tsp ground cumin seed. Otherwise everything else was same.

I didn't truss the chicken, in fact I cut off the fatty skin flaps around the vent, and also at the neck.

I sprayed the sides and bottom of the slow cooker with olive oil non-stick spray, and put 3 crumpled balls of aluminum foil in the bottom. I put the chicken in, breast-side down, slightly sloped so the vent end was downward. It fit just fine, but of course the legs and wing edges were touching the sides of the crock. The foil balls held it up, so it didn't sit in the juices which drained off during cooking.

I cooked in on high for 1 hr, then low for 6 hrs. The skin didn't get crispy, but it was golden and "sticky" as the title suggests. It wasn't just pale and flabby :lol:.

The breast meat was so soft and moist .. perfect to use leftover and cold on salads etc. The skin was delicious on its own, and of course the dark meat portions, thigh, wings etc were perfect.

As others stated previously, the meat "fell off the bones". Even the gristle and cartilage came out soft. I've saved the bones and gristly bits, and will make broth later this week :idea:

I'm very pleased with the way it turned out :thup: The spice mix is delicious, but I think even simple seasoning will work, and a whole bird will cook just fine in a round crockpot .. as long as it's not too big. 1.8kg (4 lbs) or less is best.

Doreen

doreen T
Mon, Oct-22-07, 19:35
re - the juices which drained off ....

I poured the juices into a bowl, then refrigerated. The fat rose to the top, which I spooned off and saved :), then threw away the watery stuff with gritty bits of spices etc.

The seasoned chicken fat is awesome to use for sautéing vegetables or scrambled eggs :thup:

Doreen

kathyhegg
Thu, Nov-01-07, 03:41
I agree, this is fantastic chicken. I cooked 2 small chickens for 5 hours or so with the onion on the inside as well as some of the spice mixture, with the rest rubbed onto the skin on the outside.

The chicken fell apart. DH and I had half of one each with salad, and there is still some left over for lunches. Mmmmm.

waywardsis
Thu, Nov-01-07, 13:28
I made this chicken and ate some, then froze the rest. Well I just dug it out and put it in soup - homemade chicken broth, rutabaga, onion, garlic, mushrooms and carrots, plus this chicken. WOW. Fantastic. My BF keeps stealing bowls. I had it for lunch with some goat cheese added and two eggs poached in it - fantastic.

gweny70
Fri, Dec-12-08, 07:33
Another one I need to try!!!!!!!

kaarren
Fri, Jan-07-11, 21:18
I'm going to try this simple chicken recipe!

graciejean
Sat, Jan-08-11, 14:05
I have not tried this yet,but am going to get the spices tomarrowand will do for sunday dinner.Thanks

Twizz1233
Fri, Jan-28-11, 11:44
I have this same recipe from way back, pre-Atkins! I do mine in the oven because I absolutely LOVE the crispy skin when it's done! I stuff the cavity with onions and roast the little darling for five hours at 250º. After the first hour, baste it occasionally with pan juices. If the chicken has a pop-up timer, ignore it! Let it rest for at least 10 minutes before carving. :agree:

Phenomenal!

Ginga
Mon, Feb-07-11, 09:17
Made this on Saturday. I barely got any! My hubby and kids gobbled it up. I didn't marinade because I didn't have time and it was still awesome!

letsdoit
Tue, Apr-12-11, 06:07
soiunds like a great recipe, but I wonder what makes it "sticky"?

catinhat
Wed, May-18-11, 10:31
I have since mixed up a big batch of the herb and spice blend, and we sprinkle it over the chicken (inside the skin and out) and let it sit in the fridge overnight, then we bake chicken pieces in a glass dish in the oven. It is so, so good!

I also sometimes thaw a turkey breast and cut it into 'steaks', and sprinkle those with this blend. They cook up quickly on the Foreman grill.

I've also made some minor substitutions - smoked paprika for the regular paprika and ground chipotle pepper powder for the cayenne. Yum!

bcbeauty
Sun, Oct-09-11, 09:34
I have been making this chicken at least once every 2 months for around 7 years now. It is so good!

missymagoo
Mon, Aug-12-13, 00:36
oh it looks okay

Caroxx
Mon, Aug-12-13, 09:24
Fwiw, our crockpot cooks a whole chicken to perfection on high for 5 hours.

Caroxx