PDA

View Full Version : 9 month old weighs 25 lbs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Froggiebro
Fri, May-20-05, 23:39
My son is so huge! He is only 9 mo and weighs 25 lbs. He is in 2T and 24 mo size clothes. He still drinks some formula, but he pretty much is on table food, we feed him everything but i do try to watch his sugar. He loves teddy grahams and cheerios for snacks. I feed him half of a banana a day and then whatever we are eating for lunch and dinner, plus sides of carbs and vegetables (ie. chicken with green beans and some potatoes) and a dessert of applesauce or something like that.
He doesn't have a single tooth, so his snacks have to be "gummable", lol.
Here's the prob, I'm worried that he will stay overweight as he gets older. Can anyone recommend some good snacks to try with him?

petersn78
Fri, May-20-05, 23:48
You do have a big beautiful baby:) Maybe you could give him mango, mandarin oranges. This question has me stumped. If I think of more things I'll definately post them.

dane
Sat, May-21-05, 04:35
Yikes, he is a big boy. :) My 10month old is 17lbs. I don't feed him things like cheerios, etc..... an occasional teething biscuit (maybe 1/2 a day), but otherwise whatever I eat, he eats. Meaning pureéd meats, hard-cooked eggs, cooked veggies, a bit of mashed fruit. He does get some higher GI carbs with meals...like rice cereal with yogurt, or potatoes, or noodles. You'd do him a big favor to stop feeding him processed carbs like the Teddy Grahams, and also eliminate juice. Definitely don't just take my or anyone else's word for it......discuss it with your pediatrician. good Luck! BTW, Ethan is absolutely adorable, but I guess you know that, :)

ojoj
Sat, May-21-05, 04:53
I'd cut out the crap!! Chearios etc, they're just sugar coated, chemical filled cereal! Stick with natural unprocessed foood thats not too sweet, train his palate while he's still young

Jo

liz175
Sun, May-22-05, 20:23
I read this and your other thread and I'm wondering why you are posting these questions here instead of consulting your pediatrician. When my kids were babies, the pediatrician gave me a schedule of when it was safe to introduce different foods and advice on how to do it. You mentioned in your other post that you are feeding your baby orange juice. Does your pediatrician think that is okay? I know that advice changes over the years, but I was told absolutely no orange juice in the first year because it is a common allergen.

When my kids were nine months old their diets were primarily breast milk, supplemented by basic solid foods (no sugar-sweetened junk). They were still nursing anywhere from five to eight or nine times a day. It's my understanding (and I'm not an expert, so your pediatrician may disagree with me) that milk (if not breast milk, then formula) should provide most of a baby's nutrition for the first year, with gradual supplementation with solid foods during the second half of the first year.

If solid foods are providing the major part of your baby's nutrition, I think you should talk to your pediatrician about what those foods should be in order to ensure that your baby gets adequate nutrition, rather than rely on the advice of members of this board. If it were my baby, rather than focusing on his weight I'd focus on making sure that his nutrition was balanced and assume that if he was eating a good diet the weight will take care of itself. Some kids are going to be bigger and some kids are going to be smaller. What you want is for your baby to be the size that is right and healthy for him.

Froggiebro
Sun, May-22-05, 20:54
Liz, thanks for the advice.
Actually I'm not giving him oj, it's tropicana apple juice that i meant.
He's still on formula (couldn't breastfeed, though I tried) but he has really decreased the amount he takes at a time ( ie. from 6 oz to 4oz) and he demands solid food. My pediatrician cleared him to start solids (baby food) at a little past 3 months because of the large volume of formula he was taking in a day, she said he needed some solids. Well, we quickly progressed through the baby food (one a week, to test for allergies) and he just kept eating. The Dr. says to feed him food that is not seasoned (salt, pepper, etc) and to keep it a balanced diet. Well, I feed him whatever we are eating, I just set some aside and don't season it and then I cut it up, especially the meat since he doesn't have any teeth yet. I am so amazed at this kid, he can eat anything, teeth or no teeth! An example of his diet from today:
breakfast-formula and some baby yogurt with fruit and cereal
lunch-100% juice apple juice, beef brisket, cooked very tender and cut up small, green beans, mashed potatoes, carrots and rolls torn in to little pieces. (grandma cooks a big sunday lunch)
Naptime-formula.
Snack-and handfull of baby goldfish cracker and cheerios (that he shared with the dogs, lol.
Dinner- he had a plate of the same stuff with the rest of the juice he had left from lunch Bedtime-formula

Our meals do vary, but he gets a very balanced diet, according the the 'experts'
I have just re-evaluated my way of looking at the food pyramid and such since going low carb and I don't think ethan should eat low carb or anything, just a balanced diet.
The reason I got fat was we didn't eat a lot of vegetables growing up and I can't stand any now as a result. So I want him to eat differently, in a healthy way. To eat my green beans today, I had to cut them up small and swallow them like pills. I know that's extreme, but vegetables make me gag. I keep trying vegetables, hoping that i can get used to them, and I'll continue to try to eat them and will definately cook them for baby. I typical meal for me before going low carb was meat & rice and gravy or meat & mashed potatoes with mac n cheese, and all meals had bread and dessert. I ate candy and chips and crap like that all day long.
Anyway, I could go on and on, but the moral of the story is I need suggestions on what to introduce baby to as healthy snacks that he will really like and that will help to teach him to eat in a healthy way.

lizwhip
Sun, May-22-05, 21:12
My babies used to like eating un-cooked, still-frozen vegetables, everything from peas and carrots to lima beans.

Maybe cut out the juice, and processed crackers/cookies/cereals.

I imagine that once he starts walking he'll be burning a lot more calories! Have you asked your pediatrician if he's overweight for his height?

Liz

potatofree
Sun, May-22-05, 21:17
He's a big boy, but I wouldn't stress too much. Once he's mobile, that might change more than you think! :D

Now would be the time to introduce a lot of the veggies you want him to have, since he's not at that "opinionated" stage yet. I found out the hard way that waiting until age 2 or 3 was asking for trouble. :rolleyes:

Otherwise, just follow your Dr's advice, and he'll be fine. I'm sure things have changed some since mine were babies (mine are 14 and 19) but I do know that nothing's set in stone. I know kids who were as big as your son, who look no different than their peers, size-wise now, and I know people who were tiny as babies who tip the scales now! :lol: My ex-husband was over 9 lbs at birth (doubling that at 5 months), but as an adult, was stuck under 130 lbs and 5'6"...much to his chagrin.

Froggiebro
Sun, May-22-05, 21:28
He's in the 95 percentile for weight and the 75 percentile for height for his age. She wasn't concerned about his weight. It's all me, I'm worried since me and hubby are both big (he's a very largely built man that weights ~270. The more active he gets, he "stretches out". I know he will lose a bit as he walks, and he's trying to start walking as we speak.

lizwhip
Sun, May-22-05, 21:47
Just took a peek at Ethan in your gallery, and he looks perfect to me!http://forum.lowcarber.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

liz175
Mon, May-23-05, 08:45
I just looked in your gallery and he is a cute baby!

If you are giving him Tropicana apple juice, you can try serving him half juice and half water. My kids drank juice mixed with water until they were four or five years old. Apple juice is basically empty calories, but this allows them a little without giving them excessive numbers of empty calories.

In my opinion, Cheerios are a reasonably healthy snack. They have some whole grain in them and almost no sugar -- 1 gram per serving (and that is an adult size serving). As long as you buy the plain Cheerios (not Honey Nut or anything like that) they are not sugar coated.

You may find that in a couple of months he just stops eating. At my son's first Thanksgiving he was 10 months old and I remember that he ate everything. At his second Thanksgiving, a year later, he ate almost nothing -- a few bites of turkey and that was it. Once kids' growth slows down (which is does after the first year) and they get active, they often lose interest in eating.

mama22boys
Mon, May-23-05, 10:34
I am not real sure about the whole formula thing...like how much nutrition babies need supplemented when formula fed, etc. Both my babes were breastfed (still nursing 17 month old), so I guess I took the easy way out and just depended on my own milk for most of their nutrition for the first year.

But with that said, I know a lot of babes who are VERY interested in solids at 6-12 months.

My nephew was 25 lbs at 6 months (strictly breastfed) and stayed at that for 6 months, he just sprouted up. At 20 months he may be 28 pounds or so. I ditto the comments about once your baby starts walking that he may slim down a bit. A lot of babies really pork up to have extra chub to burn before they start crawling and walking. I could always tell when my boys and when my friends' kids were getting ready to start crawling or walking because they would get sooooo chunky :lol:

Things I fed my kids between 9 months and 15 months were...blueberries, cheerios and other dry whole grain cereals that were easy to gum, small cubes of cheese, 1/2 slice of Ezekial bread (maybe toasted), grapes quartered or eighted (always ate with me watching), gum on a hunk of soft peach, pear, banana (again with me watching, usually peeled), yo baby whole fat yogurt, cooked whole wheat noodles, small pieces of roast or cooked chicken, oatmeal or other whole grain cereal, organic real fruit whole grain cereal bars (very sticky, messy, always ate while confined to high chair :) ), mandarin oranges, applesauce with no added sugar, some homemade baby food, soft cooked green beans, kidney beans, black beans, northeen beans, peas, cauliflower, brocolli, potatoes, and carrots when cooked in soup or casserole, and some juice, quite diluted, or soy milk. HTH

Personally, I know peds mean well, but they are trained in a different mindset than what I hold, so I don't often find their advice useful. Just a suggestion to always double check a peds advice with your own research :)

jaybird
Tue, May-24-05, 08:15
Well, don't worry! I agree with what Lizwhip said. Once your little guy starts getting more mobile, i.e. walking, he will thin out. Babies are supposed to be chubby...they have so much growing to do :) . My son Jakob was 30 lbs on his 1st birthday...and guess what he is 2 1/2 now and weights about 33 lbs. That's not unusual for kids to get to certain weight and then just grow upwards and thin out for a year or more!

I would cut out the Teddy Grahams, and just give him Cheerios as a once in a while treat. It may not have lots of sugar added, but it's a highly processed carb. Also, juice isn't a good everyday thing either. Give him fruit instead. Around here, juice has always been a treat kind of thing (or an emergency thing if our son gets constipated..apple juice can help with that). On the occassions we give him juice, we do dilute it 1/2 water 1/2 juice, sometimes a little more water than that even.

My son was mainly into mommy's milk until about 9-10 months old, but he got pretty chubby on just mommy's milk. Some of the foods he loved when we started adding other foods: avocado, banana, whole plain yogurt (I recommend not feeding flavored yogurt...even now at 2 1/2 he still will eat plain yogurt without any added fruit or flavor). Umm, frozen peas and blueberries he loved and still loves. You can cook carrots or sweet potatoes and then puree them, add a little formula or water to make it a good consistancy. When you are ready to introduce greens you can cook them and puree them in with the sweet potato, etc. You can check with your ped, or even online for the guidelines on when to introduce what foods to your child.

misskimbee
Tue, May-24-05, 10:05
My neice is only 5 1/2 months old and she's about 18 lbs - my brother and his gf consulted the doc about this and they said not to worry - when she get mobile (i.e. starts crawling / walking) she'll burm most of it off!

I would have to agree though about giving him more natural treats than processed treats like cheerios or teddy grahams. God knows I love both but I'm better off with a strawberry here and there.

take care!

roxie19142
Thu, Jun-02-05, 21:23
Hi, I have a big baby too. My dd was 20lbs at her 6 month check up. I really only feed her formula, veggies (just started mashing the regular veggies, she was only doing jars for awile), I also give her the small pastine stars. And, I just mix them up w/ her veggie. My pedie said everything was ok and when she starts moving about she will slim out abit.

I really would watch the juice, that's the only thing I know that can really put some weight on. Or dillute it half/half.
Good luck

Ashling
Sun, Jun-05-05, 12:37
My first son weighed 25 pounds at 6 months and was ONLY breastfed. He was born at 9.2 pounds.

If they keep gaining without getting taller... that is when I would truly worry.

But I think everyone else is right... the is NO reason for him to have juice AT ALL. Babies do not need juice. Adults do not need juice. I would cut that one out first. And I would at the least make sure your Goldfish are the 0 Trans Fat kind!

LilliesMum
Tue, Jun-07-05, 02:40
Just had a look in your gallery and he is lovely. He looks fine to me. As for healthy snacks my daughter has just turned three so I find it hard to remember back to 9 months!!!! She loved stewed apple.

But when he's able, fruit and vegtables are great, apple & pear slices, carrot sticks and like others have mentioned frozen peas! I think my daughter also had dry toast sticks and rusks (though they were maining to chew and make a mess with). Hope this helps :wave:

BellaLinda
Thu, Jun-09-05, 17:21
Here's the thing...Has he kept to "his" curve? What I mean is, has he been in pretty much the same percentile his whole life? If so, you don't need to worry. Be sure you're giving him high-quality foods, be sure you're not propping his bottle or encouraging him to finish the whole thing whether he wants to or not, and then don't worry about it.

juelz4u
Thu, Jun-09-05, 18:10
If he's a gummer, how bout pureeing(my spelling?) some fruits that he normally couldn't eat cuz of no teeth?
Oh and my girlfriends son just turned 18months is 45 lbs...he's almost the same size as my 4 year old. I think as long as he keeps growning tall(like someone else said) he'll be fine. He'll go thru a groth spurt and probably shoot up soon! If in doubt, check w/your pediatrician. Sounds like he just has a healthy appitite. When my boys got teeth and could chew good, I started them off w/fresh broccoli/califlower/beans..ect. with some dippens like ranch dressing! They still like them today and they're great heath foods!
Take Care
Jul

juelz4u
Thu, Jun-09-05, 18:12
PS! What a cutie patutie he is!!!

rodmick
Thu, Jun-09-05, 22:00
My son was 34 lbs at 10 months old. At 9 he is 60 lbs. Very tall and underweight. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Klodo2
Fri, Jun-10-05, 19:35
I have to say that if my ped recommended solids at 3 months (or even 4 months), I'd need a pretty compelling reason not to change peds.

egnue
Tue, Jun-21-05, 12:28
I so can understand, my daughter is 11 months old and weighs 25 pounds. She eats and likes everything, but I do not give her juice at all. She eats tablefoods and formula and I am just starting reg. milk.

The Dr. said don't worry, but is hard since I have been overweight, I don't want her to have the same battle.

mommamia86
Fri, Jul-01-05, 09:55
My son is 11 months old. He weighs almost 30 lbs and wears 18-24 month clothing. I use to freak about how big he was because since he was 4 months old he has always worn clothes for older babies because t eone for his age were to small. I consulted the Doctor about and he said Will is fine that his height and weight even out on the chart. Will's father, like your sons is a big man. He is 6'4 and 200 something lbs. It is because Wil has a big father that he is big. It could be the same with your son. William does have a half brother who is 4. He is obese and I use to worry that Will would be overweight when he got older too, then I realized how unhealthy the boys diet was. Mayo and cheese hot dogs on whitebread. Lots of high/empty calorie foods. It all depends on your sons diet. Get your son into healthy eating habits now fruits, veggies, dairy, low sugar, low fat meat, ow sodium and he should do just fine.

skylee
Mon, Jul-11-05, 16:12
I would just say watch what you feed him, especially his snacks. But really it is hard to find good snack food for kids. The majority of snacks made for kids really are just empty calories. Just curious also if you put him to bed with a bottle, or breast feed to him to sleep, whichever method you use. I know I was very bad about this, my son always went to bed with a bottle, finally doc and dad convinced me to stop it.

I wouldn't worry too much right now as long as you are feeding him well. My son was 31lbs. at 10 months. Once he started moving around and now walking the weight just started coming off. He is now 1 1/2yrs. and weighs in at 27lbs.

Stefanie B
Sun, Jul-31-05, 12:20
I seem to be having the same problem. But I think that it is all in our head. Although, I haven't really offered my daughter everything that my husband and I eat. She is 9 1/2 months and was 22 pounds at her 9 month check up. She was also 9 1/2 at birth so has always been a big baby. But, she was also 21 1/2 inches long and is 28 inches long now (gets that from daddy) so she doesn't really look chunky. The pediatirician says nothing about her weight. She has been crawling for almost 3 months and has been at a pretty constant weight. At her last check up she said to start lowering the amount of formula that I give her to get her ready for milk at age 1. She currently gets about 18 - 20 ounces a day. She eats maily fruits and veggies from Gerber jars. But I also feed her bananas, peas, carrots, greenbeans, regular cherrios and some of the Gerber Graduate foods. The have alot of vitamins in them and help her with hand to mouth coordination. I agree with everyone about the juice. She had a problem with the constipation so we were giving her full strength for that, but now are back to 1/2 and half every other day.

My husband is 6 ' 4" and was 34 at age 1!! So I knew that this was very possible. He sounds like he is probably walking now. Please keep me posted on how things are since this message is later than most everyone elses.

Brennabug
Sun, Jul-31-05, 12:33
I think is is beautiful and will be just fine too. You are teaching him to eat healthy now and that is great.
Also.. it is generally a fact... once he hits age 2 or there abouts he will lose interest as the ladies have said in eating. I couldnt get my daughter to eat more than 2 bites at dinner! i ended up having to leave a plate of cut up veggies and cheese in the fridge on the low shelf so she could graze throught out the day IF she decided she was hungry LOL
But look on the bright side. You can turn his carseat around to face the other way now!
I had to wait a long time for that. My girl was a preemie and 4 lbs 15 oz at birth .. it took her until 14 months to reach 20 lbs. and by then her poor legs were so long they were srunched up with the seat still facing backward!

makes it a lot easier to get them in and out of the car when it can face foreward too! whohooooooo

My little brother was a chunker when he was a baby.. he had soo many rolls of fat it was ridiculous, but by age 4 look out! he looked like he came from ethiopia when he was 12 and FINALLY when he became an adult he filled out but still he is 6'3" now and i BET he only tips the scale at 180 or so. and thats with a huge mass of muscle! all this from starting out as one of the fattest babies ever!

Brenna

Lisa N
Sun, Jul-31-05, 14:20
My oldest DD came in at 20 pounds by the time she was 6 months old but her pediatrician wasn't at all concerned (except for me having to carry a 20 pound baby since by that time I was already 3 1/2 months pregnant with my #2 DD). IIRC, she weighed about 28 pounds at 1 year even though she started walking at 10 months (I think the general rule is docs expect infants to triple their birth weight by one year...she almost quadrupled it). You can't just look at how much they weigh but instead at how much they weigh in relation to their height. My oldest DD started out in the 60th percentile for height and weight, hit the 90th percentile for both by the time she was a month old and pretty much stayed there until she was in first grade...big girl, but tall women run on my husband's side of the family and she definitely got a lot of genes from her dad's side. Both of his sisters are 5' 8" and above, four of their daughters are 5' 10" or above and his grandmother was nearly 6 feet tall. My pediatrician estimates that my oldest DD will be at least 5' !0'' when she's full grown..almost as tall as her daddy and I don't doubt it. She'll be 11 in November and she's already almost level with my husband's shoulder (he's 5' 11") and weighs 87 pounds...just about perfect for her height. :D
All this to say, pediatricians generally don't worry too much about a child's weight until well past the first birthday. Keep sugar to a minimum, emphasize healthy foods and I'm sure it will all balance out. :)

VictoriaT
Mon, Sep-26-05, 19:49
Hi
I know Im late but I thought I woudl comment.

My son was born at 8 lb 14 oz and 23 inches. He has been off the charts in height, weight and head circumference since day 1.

At one year, my son was 30 lb 11oz and 34 inches. He is in 3T stuff now.

He is VERY healthy. He loves fruit, veggies and milk. He doesnt drink juice and we rarely give him sugar. He loves ice cream, and we let him have some every so often.

My ped told me not to worry-he is a big boy and will always be a big boy. I just hope he is tall like my hub and not big like his mom :)

This age seems a bit too young to worry. I worried for a few, but I really dont want to give my son food issues.

Good luck! :)
Vicki and Brian Jr, the linebacker in training!

athensmom
Wed, Sep-28-05, 14:10
He will definitely thin out as he gets older.

I agree Cheerios are fine - very little sugar and much better than other snacks you could be giving him. Teddy Grahams are essentially cookies so I would limit those a bit.

My pediatrician said NO JUICE is best, max 4 ounces a day. I never gave any of mine juice until my pediatrician said to give my second child some apple juice for constipation. He told me juice is essentially sugar water, and you wouldn't give him that! What about milk or just water if he is getting enough formula (can't remember - is it 24-32 ounces a day at that age). If you must do juice, I agree 4 ounces a day max and dilute it half and half with water to cut the sweetness.

Otherwise, I would just be sure his portions are fine . . . I think a portion is about a tablespoon per year.

All in all, I bet he thins down as he starts moving. Mine always did!

foxgluvs
Wed, Sep-28-05, 14:22
It's FAR more important to worry about what kind of foods he is eating rather than the quantity at this age, if he's hungry feed him, but just ease back on the things like the snacky stuff, add in fruits, raw vegetables are always great or blanched to make it easier for him to suck lol and then plenty of fluids, but make sure you get him to drink water as well as juice, he'll be fine!! I think others have said, when they are so young they regulate their appetite naturally, and he will get slimmer as he starts to crawl and walk.
Don't worry, you have a really sweet and healthy baby!!

C-u-lean
Wed, Sep-28-05, 23:00
My DS is 100% breastfed and he weighs 15lbs at two months. So I wouldn't be too worried.

WildCherry
Wed, Sep-28-05, 23:14
my son is 8months old and weighs 21lbs. The doc said that it was normal. I don't think your baby is big, just because he is in bigger clothes doesnt really mean much. My son is already n 12month clothes because he is so tall. his father was 6'8 I wouldn't really worry to much about it, he'll grow out of it.

take care