PDA

View Full Version : CARB SOLUTIONS high protein bar

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

techgirl
Tue, Nov-06-01, 18:53
Hi,

Has anybody ever tried the CARB SOLUTIONS high protein bar? Each bar = 8g fat, 2g of carbs and 22g protein.

Wondering if they are good or not.

thanks

goingfor60
Tue, Nov-06-01, 20:48
Hi Techgirl

I bought the bars and they tasted good enough, but then I ran them through the hidden carb counter and they are WAY off the charts with carbs.

I think the chocolate toffee hazelnut bars have something like 35grams per bar. The packaging on those bars is really misleading!

I have yet to find a bar that was really low carb. I'm not willing to use up 1/2 my daily allowance of carbs on any kind of bar when there are so many more foods to really enjoy.

Shannon

techgirl
Tue, Nov-06-01, 21:27
Thanks for the info. How do you find the hidden carbs?
I am looking at the packaging now and there is not much info on it.

:-)

grrlpwer
Tue, Nov-06-01, 21:38
wow i didnt know that either i have some LowCarb diet bars by a company called Doctors...and they say total fat 4 grams,...total carb 2.5 and protein 21grams...i guess there full of carbs to darn i'm not gonna buy anymore...

How do we know if there are hidden carbs in them?

I havent ate any of them yet i just bought them for when i want that taste of chocolate... :mad:

DesertRose
Tue, Nov-06-01, 21:56
Hi TechGirl,

I had carb solution bars. They are ok. I like the hazelnut. The best ones I've found are the Carbolite bars. They are made with splenda. Its 3-grams of fat and .37-grams of consumable carbs per serving. There are 7 servings per bar. That's about 2.6 total carbs. They do state that there are more carbs than stated. They said, "Maltitol, a low digestible carbohydrate has been omitted from the total carbohydrate content as it can only convert to a negligible amount of glucose in the body. The amount of maltitol accounts for approximately 39% of the caloric value of the bar." This could be the hidden carbs spoken about earlier.

Checkout their website: http://www.morico.com/
They use Splenda in all their products.

I hope this helps.

DesertRose

tamarian
Tue, Nov-06-01, 21:58
Hi TechGirl,

To calculate hidden carbs, use our little calculator from the Tools page from the menu above.

Wa'il

emsy
Wed, Nov-07-01, 08:36
The way I understand hidden carbs, correct me if I'm wrong, is that it's the difference between the active carbs and the total carbs. The bar manufacturers list just the active carbs on the label after they've subtracted the fiber grams from the total carbs.

At least that's how I justify eating them. It is true that if you subtract fiber from total carbs you get the amount of actual (active)carbs that actually affect the system? That's what I've heard anyway but I've never seen it in any scientific journal.

Anyway if you do a simple calculation on the fat, protein and carbs listed on a product's ingredients list, that is, multiply fat grams X 9 (calories), carb grams X 4 and protein grams X4, (theoretically this number should equal the # of calories listed, but doesn't)...then add those 3 results together, subtract the total from the listed # of calories, the difference is the hidden carbs in calories. If you then divide that number by 4, that's the # of hidden carb grams.

I don't believe this is deceptive. After all don't we subtract fiber from carbs when we eat most other foods? The manufacturers have just done it for us.

If you compare the low carb bars to the regular protein bars, they are usually lower in calories and in fat. The carb solution bar is bigger than most, is really 2 servings. I like the hazel toffee one. But I limit indulging them. They're $2.50 per bar so that's a factor too. So far my favorite bar is metabolift. It's just the right size, is low in fat and carbs, about 130 calories, they taste good, they have a little ephedra for the added thermogenics, and I can get them at Osco Drug for about 99 cents.

Sorry this is so long, but I would really like to find out if my above theory is correct or if I'm fooling myself.

A thin me!
Wed, Nov-07-01, 08:36
Of all the bars out there, shouldn't these be okay to use in an emergency or between meals?? Please let me know because I bought a few.

Thanks

Natrushka
Wed, Nov-07-01, 08:59
Originally posted by emsy
The way I understand hidden carbs, correct me if I'm wrong, is that it's the difference between the active carbs and the total carbs. The bar manufacturers list just the active carbs on the label after they've subtracted the fiber grams from the total carbs.

This is what they are doing, emsy, sorta :) Fiber is non digestible and can be subtracted. This has been proven time and time again. However, what the manufacturers of the bars are subtracting are not fiber grams. They are subtracting sugar alcohols (http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips010.html) , claiming that they do not effect the body the same way sugar, or carbs do. While this may be true for some, many people react to them as though they were carbs (they experience a rise in insulin).

So, while not being overtly deceptive, it does fool new comers to LC into thinking it's ok to eat something that could potentially sabotage them.

If you're stalling or experiencing a slow down, take a look at what you're eating. If 'low carb' bars are part of your menu ditch them for a while and see what happens.

Thin: You'll find low carb bars devide people into two groups, those who do and those who don't. I don't; and wouldnt recommend them. However if you're stuck and it's an emergency I would image a LC bar would be better than a bagel ;)

Nat

no-dough80
Thu, Nov-08-01, 20:38
Unfortunately, I really like the Chocolate Peanut Butter and PB&J Carb Solution Bars. I've tried the Atkins' Advantage Bars (spit material) and the Pure Protein S'mores (pretty good), and Carb Solutions are my favorite.

I knew the bars had "hidden carbs" (if it tastes sweet and good, a lot of the time it's too good to be true--at least for a recovering sugar addict like me). I was just in denial and too afraid to look up the actual carb count.

For my Choc PB Bars, the measly 2 carbs turns into 23! :eek: I laughed when I read the back of the label. It said the carbs added by sugar alcohol were "neglible." Puhhleeze! thats a 21 g difference.

Needless to say, I have cut the bars out of my regime. I knew there was a reason I was plateau-ing :idea:

Farewell my yummy chocolate friends. You have now fallen into the occasional decadence category :(

Stacy

techgirl
Thu, Nov-08-01, 21:02
Thank you all for your replies. I had my last PB bar this morning for breakfast. Got up late and did not have time to have a proper breakfast. So looong sweet bar.

So, skipped breakfast and it wrecked my day. Had a good lunch but overeat at dinner. I blame it on my lousy bar. Tomorrow is another day and I am looking forward to a nice omelet.

;-)

mabdab01
Thu, Nov-15-01, 21:51
I was just wondering if the Carb Solutions ready to drink protein drinks have alot of carbs. When I was on the diet last year I drank one every morning. They were really really good. Maybe that's why my weight loss slowed down so much and I got discouraged and gave up. Duh!