PDA

View Full Version : Am I wasting my time

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

josieclark
Tue, Nov-06-01, 02:24
I've still only lost 1lb in a month - I'm in ketosis so I know I'm doing the right thing - although I don't exercise I have a very busy day often a 12 hour day 6 days a week. I've upped my proteins and fats and cut down on cheese and the odd gin and slimline tonic - If I cut down anymore I'll be too depressed to get through the day - I had a lot of success with this diet 25 years ago and to be honest I feel very well to-date - but I'm desperate to see the scales move.

Can anyone suggest something to get me moving

by the way the scales are new and correct

Josie :(

Atriana
Tue, Nov-06-01, 05:07
Are you drinking enough water? 64 oz plus 8 oz for every 25 pounds you need to lose is optimum. Have you started a journal? If you post your menus, it will be easier to see if you are not eating enough, or eating a high carb item without realizing it.

daisy
Tue, Nov-06-01, 07:20
Hi Josie!
I lost 8lbs in the induction weeks & then stuck for ages until I started drinking the recommended 2litres of water. The first day I did that I felt gross! I don't especially like drinking water & felt like I would be putting weight on, if anything. I also had to get up about 3 times during the night for a pee! BUT the next morning I'd dropped 4lbs!!! So try it for yourself. Can't hurt. Also, I've heard that the sticks will show that you're in ketosis if this is the case, because you're actually dehydrated. I did feel quite weak then, too, so if you're still feeling a bit groggy that could be why.
Sorry to nag, but it would be a shame to let all your good work go to waste!

:daizy:

Natrushka
Tue, Nov-06-01, 08:29
Josie, I went back over some of your past posts as I know we've had this discussion before :) I looked at your fitday account as well, I honestly think you're not eating enough.

At 185 lbs you s hould be eating 10 - 12 times your body weight, minimum . You've been averaging about 700 - 800 calories a day for the past few weeks, this is not enough food. If you continue to eat less and less in an effort to lose lbs your body will learn to live on less and hold onto more.

I would suggest increasing your calories slowly with more fats (olive oil,butter, skin on chicken, salad dressings, mayonnaise) until you're at 1800 calories and then maintaining that. You feel good eating LC; keep at it, but try more food, you should feel even better and the weight should start coming off.

Nat

josieclark
Tue, Nov-06-01, 14:39
thanks for the replies - no I wont give up, and tomorrow I will try and eat more and definitely drink more

I am having a problem eating more - to be honest I've gone off food (never thought I'd see the day) I also paid a visit to the health shop today and bought some HRT (hormone replacement therapy) replacements - I read in the Atkins book that HRT can prevent weight loss - watch this space for some results with a bit of luck and a gallon of water

I've made an appointment to see my doctor to let him know of my decision to come of HRT

Josie

fiona
Tue, Nov-06-01, 15:31
I easily drink 5-6 litres of liquid a day: start the day with 2 litres of weak tea. As Nat says more food and more drink with help.

Another thought that occurs to me is that sometimes people who go on Atkins for a second time find it that little bit harder to start losing.

I would not give up especially as you say {to be honest I feel very well to-date - ...}

It took a long time to put the weight on - it won't come off so quickly albeit I sympathise that 1 lb in a month is hard and discouraging.

Take care.

Carol LeFa
Thu, Jan-10-02, 18:10
Hi HI HI Josie,

Now that I've found you were are you, have you given up?, you cant do this not now that I've found somone from my neck of the woods as Iam from Walton Vale and apart from this LC forum I dont know anyone locally who is on a LC diet.

Carol

josieclark
Fri, Jan-11-02, 09:48
No Carol I've not givenn up - I've lost some enthusiasm plus I've had flu for the first time in my life - it lasted 3 weeks and i still feel washed out.

the weight is moving all be it very slowly, but at least I'm not gaining.

when i'm feeling better maybe we could meet
speak to you soon

Josie

Carol LeFa
Fri, Jan-11-02, 13:01
Hi Josie nice of you to reply, glad to see your hanging in there me to my weight loss is'nt fantastic either but I've given up smoking 11 days ago and I think my metabolisim has slowed down maybe I'll start walking I used to walk every night and weekends right down Southport Road up Breeze Hill and all the way home again,
Im not really a gym type person I join up with all good intensions and then I get really bogged down at work andcan't be botherd.
I hope your feeling well again soon overdose on vitamin C it will do you good (dont know about the carbs though), and when your feeling up to it I would love to meet up with you.

Keep in touch,

Take Care

Carol

lastchance
Fri, Jan-25-02, 07:49
Hi Carole

When I gave up smoking 13 years ago I am absoultely sure my metabolism sloed down. I wasn't eating any more, bu t put on 8lbs. I felt sort of slower too. Well, nicotine is actually a stimulant so we shouldn't be surprised I suppose! The time before when I tried to give up it happened too, so I took smoking back up again but it didn't mean I lost the weight so it only seems to work one way!
Keep it up- it's really worth it!
Last Chance