PDA

View Full Version : Lethargy

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lozzz
Mon, May-09-05, 13:25
For the past week now I seem to be waking up extremely tired and lethargic. I'm not particularly sure if I'm overdoing it with exercise, not eating enough calories or a combination of both. I eat around 1000 calories and 10 carbs a day, since I am still on induction.

My exercise routine usually consists of an hour's power walk. I spilt this hour in half and do 30 minutes at a time. For example, a 30 minute power walk home from college, and then 30 minutes power walking around a park which is partly up hill, a few hours later. Furthermore, I do 300 crunches spaced evenly throughout the day.

I also do a high intensity dance workout for 30 minutes. I usually do this every other day as college intervenes, but since we've had a 2 week break, I have been trying to do this everyday. The dance DVD get's me sweating enough and out of breath but I'm not sure if I'm benefiting from it enough. The DVD is this one (http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/pumpitupx05x01x05). I've noticed not many people using this and taebo being a popular favourite.

Basically, I've lost most of the scale weight I want and now need to firm up those last few midsection inches, hence the amount of crunches. It's been my ultimate goal to finally pluck up the courage and wear a cropped t-shirt exposing my tummy for summer. But at the moment, that goal is looking miles away.

To cut this essay short, I want to reach this goal but my lethargy is holding me back. Is my exercise sufficent for my goal to be realistic, and what could be causing this lack of energy? Also, should I let my body rejuvenate for a period of time?

Any advice would be extremely appreciated. Thanks.

Dodger
Mon, May-09-05, 13:35
It could be that you have been over-exercising or that you have caught a mild virus. Either way, it wouldn't hurt to rest for 3 or 4 days. Give your body time to recover.

CindyG
Mon, May-09-05, 14:11
My bet is overtraining and over dieting. That is a ton of cardio you are doing. And cardio will NOT reshape your body. I would add some weight lifting to the mix. Weight lifting WILL reshape your body and make you appear even leaner.

Now the diet part...1000 calories a day for a woman who is 5'7" is tall is not nearly enough food. That's basically starvation. No wonder you feel lethargic and tired. You're not providing your body with the proper nutrition to support the many hours of cardio you're doing. 10 carbs a day? Induction? Induction is 20 carbs a day and you should no longer be doing induction assuming you are 5 lbs above goal or at goal weight. I would suggest immediately starting OWL and climbing the carb ladder, and getting into pre-maintenance/maintenance.

Good luck!

Dawna
Tue, May-10-05, 07:37
You are over exercising for the caloric and carb intake you allow yourself. Why are you still in Induction so near goal? With so much exercise, so little food and so few carbs, I would worry about it all being counter productive. I'd worry about my body having to resort to muscle mass for fuel.

Squid
Tue, May-10-05, 08:27
I agree with the others. Quit starving yourself. 1000 calories for that amount of exercise??? It's definitely counterproductive. 10 carbs a day is also very low.

You're 5'7" and you want to get to 115. You're goal is very very low. I wouldn't think a person of that height would look healthy at that weight. Or even be healthy I would give some serious thought to how you're treating your body.

nets33
Tue, May-10-05, 08:52
I would agree with the others that you need to up your calorie and carb intake. With the amount of exercise you described you should be eating a minimum of 1,400 calories a day.

A weight training program will also help shape your body, as CindyG said. Cardio will only get you so far in re-shaping your body. Weight or resistance training is what will help your body look toned and lean.

Good luck.
K

kaypeeoh
Tue, May-10-05, 10:48
You're college age which means you have recuperative abilities that far surpass mortal men. :-) Try small amounts of carb shortly before any intense cardio. You may not be eating enough protein either. At night your body does the job of repairing any muscle damage. If you don't have enough protein on board, you wake up tired because the body hasn't been able to repair.

If you're phobic about your weight, keep in mind that carbs get used up quickly in cardiac exercise. Especially if you are eating low carb. They dont last long enough to turn into fat. So try carb before hard exercise and you might see improvement quickly.

EMKAY 53
Tue, May-10-05, 12:08
If you are 5'7 and 120 lbs. you are very nearly underweight or the very low end of normal. Perhaps you need to rethink your goals. I don't think a tummy shirt would be a problem. As mentioned before your cals. are may too low as are your carbs. You are starving and your body is compensating for this. The body is clever despite what we think :) If you overexcercise and eat very little your body will shut down your metabolism to conserve whatever small amount of food you put in. It thinks you are in a fasting state. You are tired because you aren't consuming enough fuel to sustain yourself. Your body will begin cannibalizing your muscle stores next for fuel and this is counterproductive. Bottom line is you are hurting yourself. I don't mean to scare you, but it seems you are striving to attain a very dangerous and unrealistic goal. Good Luck and I wish you the best of health and vitality.

Leanna