PDA

View Full Version : Baked Meatballs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

BaileyWS
Fri, Nov-02-01, 09:45
Thought I'd share with you what I did the other night when making meatballs

I cooked the meatballs in oil -- hamburger, egg, italian spices and parmesan cheese.

I sauteed peppers (red and green), mushrooms, and a little onion. Mixed the vegetables with the meatballs in the oven proof dish, and covered the whole thing with grated mozzarella cheese. I placed it under the broiler until the cheese melted ... It was great.

gecolon
Thu, Nov-15-01, 11:54
Sounds delicious Wendy. I'm going to cook it this weekend (I'm going to add crushed pork rinds as a filler). Thanks. :)

hymntonink
Mon, Apr-29-02, 19:17
Thank you. I cooked this tonight and it was delicious.

Kirsten =)

DWRolfe
Tue, Apr-30-02, 08:28
I'm going to try this next time I make meatballs...

...sounds yummy! :p

Thanks for the idea!

Donald :wave:

asmile4u
Wed, Jul-17-02, 20:25
Hello everyone,
Excuse me for being new. But i tried inventing something the other night and it turned out pretty good.
Take some ground beef season with your favorite seasonings. Half and flatten out as much as possible. Spread some salsa on one side. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Cover with the other piece of ground beef then bake or fry on low till meat is done. Then add some salsa and more cheese on top. Cover and let cook till the cheese is melted.
It really was very good. And easy.

I found a carb free salsa at our local grocery store so the only carb count will be the cheese.

Anything is possible with prayer. tina

Karen
Wed, Jul-17-02, 23:38
Hello again TIna!

It may seem like I'm following you around, but the Low-Carb Kitchen is the area I moderate, so I always check out what's happening.

If you read my post under your cheesecake post, you'll see why salsa can be called 0 carbs per serving.

The truth is that anything that is not pure fat or protein has carbs. Organ meats, eggs, dairy products, shellfish, all fruits and vegetables and coffee have carbs. I just wanted to let you in on this before you got yourself into any trouble.

Have a look at the threads in the Newbies Questions Forum called Hot Links! and For Newbies: Carb COunting and Label REading. THere is lot's of valuable information in both that all newbies should have.

Karen

asmile4u
Thu, Jul-18-02, 04:48
Karen,
Thanks for the tips. Anything that will help me lose these pounds and inches i will definately read.

Anything is possible with prayer. tina

Atrsy
Mon, Jul-22-02, 18:44
Your recipe looked good, so I expanded on it.

I made about 1/2 in layer of meat on the bottom of a square baking dish. Put sliced green peppers and diced onion on that.
Next the salsa and grated cheese and topped with more meat.

I baked it in the oven for about 40 min and it was wonderful. DH and DS loved it.

It would be good with other veggies in it too. I'm thinking maybe mushrooms and sliced tomato instead of the salsa.

Thanks for the idea.

scryc
Wed, Sep-11-02, 18:47
I love Salsa~ what is the total on the carbs. I thought tomatoes, ketchup etc were very high in carbs? It sounds wonderful, yummy and too good to be true??

Cheri :D

TxCharity
Thu, Sep-12-02, 15:55
Asmile4u what brand was the carb free salsa ??

asmile4u
Thu, Sep-12-02, 17:37
TXCharity,
I get the "Pancho's Tropicale" Mild or Hot salsa. Look in the refrigerated section. It is also good if you just brown the meat, drain the fat, then add as much salsa as you like. Also add lettuce, sour cream and cheddar cheese then you have a taco salad. Hope you can find this. tina

TxCharity
Thu, Sep-12-02, 18:03
Thank you for letting me know the brand!! :-)

ReneeTN
Sat, Feb-15-03, 14:06
i have collected cookbooks for years....wouldn't ya know NONE of them are LC...but i found several recipes that would work for LC...i think (just finished my 3rd week...i'm still learning)

Grilled Blue Cheese Burgers

3 lbs ground chuck
1 tea salt
pepper to taste
2 (3oz) cream cheese, softened
2 T crumbled blue cheese
2 T minced onion
2 tea creamy horseradish
2 tea mustard
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 T butter, melted

Combine ground chuck, salt, pepper, mix well and shape into 16 or equal number of thin patties.
Combine cream cheese, blue cheese, onion, horseradish and mustard with mixer until well blended, Spread on half of patties evenly to within 1/2 inch of edges, press to seal. Grill to desired doneness....Saute the mushrooms in butter, top the burgers!

Now, how can I find out how many carbs?
does this sounds legal for induction?

Thanks.....

eva123
Sat, Feb-15-03, 16:19
Hello ReneeTN.

This looks fine for low carbs. The guys use <i>www.fitday.com</i> to find out carbs and fat contents(Etc...) in their foods.
You may want to try it too.

good luck

freckles
Wed, Jul-30-03, 15:34
Great idea! My dh will LOVE it!!! Thank you.

Mr Fat
Sun, Aug-03-03, 11:15
I am going to include this in my menu this week! Thank you so much!
MF :roll:

freckles
Sun, Aug-03-03, 12:29
We had this last night and it was FABULOUS!!!! Thanks so much for sharing. My dh did love it just as I thought...though he did request a bit of spaghetti sauce on the portion he took for lunch! :lol: He's not on a lc diet.

Jaden
Fri, Aug-08-03, 15:20
could you elaborate on "cooked them in oil"? did you fry them in a frying pan ? or deep fry? or something else I havnt thought of. probably a dumb question, it just seems it would be hard to cook them through in a fry pan

BaileyWS
Fri, Aug-08-03, 19:18
Not a dumb question. Yes, I did fry them in a frying pan with a little oil. You have to keep turning them ... this helps them get nice and crispy on the outside.

tsalinas75
Fri, Aug-08-03, 19:24
That sounds really good..I think I will try this for dinner tomorrow night..yum yum....Tamara

Jaden
Sat, Aug-09-03, 05:12
I cook 6-7 meals a week fora friend doing atkins who cant cook.. Im going to add this to his menu this week :)

Jaden
Tue, Aug-12-03, 09:24
I tried this recipe but I used half hamburg, half garlic and cheese sausage

then I covered it with the taco spiced shredded cheese that you get in the grocery store near all the other shredded cheese. It gave it a spicy edge and went over big :) Ive had people ask me for the recipe.

thanks for the inspiration.

Jadenlea

C-u-lean
Sun, Aug-17-03, 08:42
Yum! I tried this the very first night I read this recipe and it is delish! Thank you for sharing!

madmike
Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:37
For each serving:

1/2 pound fatty hamburger
2 TBLSP Worchester Sauce
1 TSP Tobasco
1 TSP lemon juice
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
3 oz of Pepper Jack Cheese
1/2 stick real butter
Salt
Pepper
2 Michelob-Ultra Beers

Mold Hamburger into a square
Marinate over top salt, pepper, WC Sauce, Tabasco, Lemon Juice
Cover and refrigerate for 4 - 8 hours
Grill Hamburger to liking temp
As Hamburger is almost done, melt butter in pan
Pour mushrooms in butter and stir for a few minutes
Place Hamburger on aluminum foil or in pan on grill
Cover cooked Hamburger with mushrooms
Cover mushrooms with Pepperjack cheese and melt
Twist open a Michelob-Ultra and drink
Repeat last step as desired!

Enjoy... mad
:p

madmike
Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:38
Almost forgot... this meal will have about 5 carbs in it (mostly the mushrooms)

leasmom
Wed, Aug-20-03, 12:51
Great! Now, I know what to have for dinner!

suzanneM
Mon, Aug-25-03, 16:47
hey this sounds good! i'm a mushroom lover, so i'd prolly sautee up some portabellas and toss them in, too. i buy a very cheap low-carb tomato sauce (3g for 1/4 cup), maybe put a touch of that in, too.

i've always cooked my meatballs in the oven (350 for round 20 minutes). does the frying help make them more juicy?

thanks for the idea!

leasmom
Mon, Aug-25-03, 17:01
I did this except I didn't fry them, I baked them until they were done. They were just slightly flat at the bottom, but that was okay. Then I took some pasta sauce with a little water so it wouldn't burn at the bottom and I dropped the meatballs in it. I cooked them down and served them on a plate. It was really good. My picky 6 yr old loved them! I will make this again. Thanks.

snowtigga
Tue, Feb-03-04, 16:23
I'd *love* to make this tonight for dinner since I've already got hamburger thawed but I'm very much a "need directions" kind of gal.

Can someone tell me how many eggs, how much hamburger used? Does the hamburger finish cooking in the oven or does it get thoroughly cooked in the frying pan with the oil?

Sniff...
/Kim

cmcole
Tue, Feb-03-04, 16:39
I usually prefer to bake my meatballs right from the start, and then I can do other things, rather than having to watch and turn them in a frying pan.

So, I suppose after the initial cooking, you could just add the vegetables and cheese, and return them to the oven.

snowtigga
Tue, Feb-03-04, 16:43
I don't mind doing the baking part for its entirety but how many eggs per pound of burger?

elmuyloco5
Mon, Mar-08-04, 14:38
These are so good! My children love them and it's a super easy dish to make!

I got this recipe originally from Carbohydrate Addicts Cookbook, but I tweaked it a bit and I think it comes out much better.

8 oz. ground beef, turkey, or pork
4 oz. cheese cubed (we've used both chedder and pepperjack)
2 tbsp. chopped onions (or 1 tbsp. of dried onion flakes)
1tbsp. almond flour (ground up almonds...you can make this you don't have to buy it!)

Now I season with different seasonings depending on how spicy we want it that night. You can use just garlic salt (or powder if you're cutting salt), steak seasoning, oregano, emeril's essence, really anything.

Preheat oven to 325F. Mix the meat with seasonings, almond flour, and onion (I added the almond flour as the original recipe was a little crumbly, it also had soy sauce in it which I don't care for. The flour made them turn out perfectly!) Form meat around each cheese cube into a ball about the size of a golf ball. ( You can skillet fry these, but I suggest baking them as it comes out alot better. ) Place on a lightly greased baking pan (spray with olive oil or pam). Bake for about 30 minutes. This makes about 8 meatballs, you can adjust the recipe to make more as you like. Don't worry about the seasonings, just experiment and you'll get something great!

Hope you like them!

WeeOne
Tue, Mar-09-04, 14:54
These sound great! I think I'll make them this week!

Wee

HippyChic
Mon, May-10-04, 15:07
I made these this weekend for a snack for work and they turned out really really good.

1 lb. hamburger
1/2 pkg meatloaf seasoning
1 egg white (should be the consistancy of meatloaf, if its too wet, add some parmesan cheese)
cubes of pepperjack cheese (can use cheddar)

mix all the ingred. together except for pepperjack. pat out into patties and put a cube of cheese in the center. Fold up around cheese to form meatballs. Brown in skillet and bake in 350 oven till cooked through. (about 15 min. Very good for a meal or a snack.

omalleyc
Tue, May-11-04, 16:52
Can't wait to try these! They sound GREAT! :)

Chris

brit-girl
Fri, Jul-30-04, 12:34
This sounds good. Are they large enough to make a meal out of them, or just a bite-size snack? What else do you serve with them?

Abby135
Tue, Sep-14-04, 20:00
Bacon-Stuffed Burgers
Yield: 8 servings

4 slices bacon
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 can mushroom pieces, drained and finely chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
1 pound bulk pork sausage
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoon steak sauce

Cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and discard all but 2 t ablespoons drippings. Sauté onion in drippings until tender. Crumble bacon: add with mushrooms to skillet and set aside.

Meanwhile, combine beef, pork, cheese, pepper, garlic powder and steak sauce in a large bowl. Shape into 16 patties. Divide bacon mixture and place over eight of the patties. Place remaining patties on top and press edges tightly to seal. Grill over medium coals until well-done (pork sausage in burgers requires thorough cooking).

Serve on buns, with lettuce if desired.

Yield: 8 servings.

Per Serving: 177 Cal (52% from Fat, 40% from Protein, 8% from Carb); 17 g Protein; 10 g Tot Fat; 3 g Carb; 1 g Fiber; 52 mg Calcium; 2 mg Iron; 202 mg Sodium; 51 mg Cholesterol

jjfaeries
Mon, Apr-18-05, 16:52
do you have to use the pork? is it essential to the taste?

ICanDoThis
Sun, Sep-25-05, 13:52
DH is spoiling me today with these gorgeous, yummalicious burgers. I thought I would share the recipe. He really just threw stuff together, but I can piece it together enough for a recipe.

2 lbs hamburger
chopped onions
shredded cheese
packet of taco seasoning
packet of enchilada seasoning
cheese slices
chopped tomato
avocado
lime juice

Here are his instructions:
Put hamburger in a bowl. Throw in 1/4-1/2 cup chopped onion, or less if you desire. Up to you. Add a handful of shredded cheese, packet of taco seasoning and packet of enchilada seasoning (don't add the water). Squish it all up and make burgers (6-8 burgers.) While they're cooking...

Take 1 avocado and cut it up and slightly smash it. Throw in chopped tomatoes, more chopped onion and some squirts of lime juice (basically making a guacamole).

When burgers are almost done, add a slice of cheese to them (if you like cheeseburgers) and top with a couple spoonfuls of the 'guacamole'.

Enjoy!
(I'll have to come back and post the carb/fiber count for ya.)

Parisfox
Sun, Sep-25-05, 17:15
Hmmmm....sounds good. Thanks. New hamburger recipes are always welcome.

devilchild
Mon, Dec-19-05, 14:32
I am trying this recipe tonight. I found it on Atkin's webpage and it sounds absolutely wonderful. They will be a nice change from the same 'ol cheeseburger and will go great with a salad. Atkin's reccommends a cucumber salad, but I am having a regular one.

1 lb ground beef
1 green onion chopped
1/2 cup fresh chopped spinach
1/4 chopped tomato
1/4 crumbled feta cheese
1.5 tsp chopped fresh dill
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and form into two patties. Grill or pan fry over medium high heat for 6 minutes on each side for medium doneness.

Makes 2 servings.

Calories: 536
Fat: 34 grams
Protein: 51 grams
Carbs: 2 grams
Fiber: 0
Net Carbs: 2 grams

I am attepmting to include a photo of my premade, precooked patties. If it does't work, I am sorry, I don't know how to do it!

Rosebud
Mon, Dec-19-05, 16:01
I found it on Atkin's webpage and it sounds absolutely wonderful.
Can you please add the link to the webpage, devilchild? Thank you.

Rosebud:rose:

bob2112
Mon, Dec-19-05, 16:11
Somewhere there is a link for 101 ways to make a burger as well, just can't seem to find it right now. We usually make ours with blue cheese crumbles when we want something different.

Haven't tried it with Feta cheese yet, but definitely sounds yummy.

devilchild
Mon, Dec-19-05, 16:16
http://www.atkins.com/Recipes/ShowRecipe720/Beef-Burgers-with-Feta-and-Tomato.aspx

This is the link to the actual page for the recipe.

Misty

gourmaid
Mon, Feb-27-06, 20:27
One of the cooks at a restaurant I used to wait tables at made something called the "black and blue burger". This is my version... with no bun, of course.

Coat your burger patties (both sides) in cajun seasoning. Most kinds I've bought aren't spicy enough, so I combine them with some powdered cayenne pepper.

Cook the burgers (preferably on a barbecue), and at the very end, top them with fresh blue cheese crumbles. Cover them on the grill and let the cheese melt.

If you'd like, you can also top them with carmelized onions (just slice some onions and pan sautee them with a bit of olive oil). I also like to make a sauce out of sour cream, horseradish, and minced garlic to drizzle on top.

Be careful with the carb count on the sour cream and onions... but even with those, this is pretty low. Let me know what you think!

locarbbarb
Mon, Feb-27-06, 20:59
Hi there! :wave:

I love blue cheese burgers, and so does my family...I never thought of the cajun seasoning, though. That's a great tip! Thanks!

You can also make the burgers with the blue cheese layered INSIDE the burger! Then when you cut into it... Yum! :yum:

Hmmm, I just had an idea, you could probably make meatloaf the same way, with the blue cheese either on top or inside! :idea: If it was inside either the burger or the loaf, the onions on top would stay on better!

OK, now I'm getting hungry!

Best wishes!

missymagoo
Sun, Mar-26-06, 17:58
this sounds really great. i am going to have to try this . sue

Sandi D
Sun, Mar-26-06, 18:40
thank you
I will be trying that
sandi

SunnyCarol
Thu, Aug-03-06, 11:30
Blue Cheese Burgers

If you like blue cheese, you'll never forget these burgers. This is the most awesome burger I have ever had.

3 pounds lean ground beef
4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup minced fresh chives (can use green onions)
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (see note)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard

In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, blue cheese, chives, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, salt and mustard. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Preheat grill for high heat. Gently form the burger mixture into about 12 patties.

Oil the grill grate. Grill patties 5 minutes per side, or until well done.

NOTE:
I did double the hot sauce; personal preference. Will try the Chipotle Tabasco next time!

SunnyCarol
Thu, Aug-03-06, 11:35
Baked Italian Meatballs

Baking meatballs instead of frying them saves time and clean up. I make these up early and refrigerate them for a couple of hours, so the flavors can meld. They are great just as they are, but I made up a low carb marinara sauce and baked them in it and they were outstanding. That recipe is below.

Ingredients

1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup onion, finely minced
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/2 lb. bulk mild Italian sausage
1 pound ground sirloin
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Directions

1. In a small bowl, lightly beat the two eggs; then add all the spices and beat to incorporate. Set aside to re-hydrate the dry spices.
2. Pre-heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium high heat, cook onion two minutes until softened slightly; add garlic and cook one minute more. Allow to cool while you prepare the meats. Thoroughly mix the meat together in a large bowl, being careful that you don’t handle it too much. Pour the egg/spice mixture and the cooled onion/garlic mixture over the top and blend. Pour half the parmesan cheese over this and mix, and then mix in the other half. Cover and place in the refrigerator for about two hours, so the flavors can meld.
3. Heat oven to 375°F. Roll golf ball-size meatballs; arrange on a jelly roll pan. Bake 20-25 minutes, until browned and cooked through.

Tomato Garlic & Mushroom Marinara

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 8 oz. can Hunt’s Tomato Sauce w/roasted garlic
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1 pint (16 oz.) canned tomatoes
1 7 oz. can mushroom pieces with liquid
¼ of a large red pepper, chopped fairly large
1/3 cup red onion, chopped large

In a medium saucepan, sauté garlic and onions in olive oil until tender. Add seasonings and continue cooking a few more minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, and then tomato paste, then canned tomatoes. Add the can of mushrooms with liquid. Simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes. When there is about 7 minutes left, add the red onion and red peppers. You don’t want them to cook to mush.

This goes well with the Baked Italian Meatballs. Don’t cook it down too thick, because some of the liquid will cook away when you bake the meatballs with the sauce.

Note: Hunt’s tomato sauce and paste don’t have sugar added.

serrelind
Thu, Aug-03-06, 12:48
Mmmm this looks good! Will try later :)

Earthgirl
Thu, Aug-03-06, 13:09
I wanna try this too! Maybe I can overtake my DH who is known for his meatballs!!!

jjb2000
Fri, Aug-04-06, 08:01
Sounds good. My neighbor makes blue cheese burgers but when I had hers, I couldn't taste the cheese.

missymagoo
Sat, Aug-05-06, 02:19
oh wow!! i have got to try this one also. sue

missymagoo
Sat, Aug-05-06, 02:20
another one i have got to try,. sue

mike_d
Tue, Dec-26-06, 20:57
Ingredients:

Two pounds of ground beef.
8 oz roll of breakfast sausage (nitrate free).
One quarter cup of cream.
One quarter cup of oatmeal (optional to prevent shrinkage).
Joseph's flax LC pitas.
Sharp cheddar cheese.
Fresh spinach leaves.
Mayo, butter or oil.

Method: Combine ground beef and 25% breakfast sausage with heavy cream and a little ground up oatmeal (optional). I ground oatmeal in the blender.

Mix well and let sit refrigerated for 24 hours before pressing into 5 oz patties.

Fry a patty in butter, lard or coconut oil, then top with sharp cheddar cheese. Toast a pita, let cool then split with scissors or a knife. Spread mayo on insides then add a layer of fresh spinach leaves (remove stems) and the cooked patty. A fried egg can be added as well if desired. Toast the completed 'cheeseburger' in a toaster oven or brown it on both sides in a fry pan. Browning brings out the nutty flavor of the 'bun'.

I think its the best cheeseburger of any kind I have ever eaten. Makes 8 patties each cheeseburger serves one :yum:

yummys_gir
Wed, Dec-27-06, 08:24
sounds good! Thanks for sharing!

missymagoo
Wed, Dec-27-06, 10:54
how many carbs are there in each burger- are you using a whole grain oatmeal? sue

ElleH
Wed, Jan-10-07, 16:44
This was really really yummy!

Season your ground beef with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Shape into patties and fry or grill. Top with MJ or cheddar cheese. Serve on revolution rolls
topped with a TBL of salsa, a little ranch dressing, some sliced jalapenos and a lettuce leaf!

5g carbs, max.

rightnow
Wed, Jan-10-07, 22:21
Sounds great -- thanks for the idea!!

rightnow
Mon, Feb-25-08, 20:27
I did a little experiment tonight and it came out really well, even the kid loved it, so I thought I'd share it.

Ingredients

8-16oz ground beef (enough for 2 burgers, however you size it)
1/2 lb (half a package) regular bacon, sliced into 1" pieces
1 medium white onion, diced
1 package fresh mushrooms, rinsed, de-stem'd and sliced
4 oz (half a philly bar) cream cheese
1/4 cup - 1/2 cup (your choice) sour cream
fresh garlic, minced (as much as you like)
spices like salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder

Directions

Toss all the bacon pieces in a large frying pan (I use a 12" All-Clad grille pan; a big cast-iron skillet would work well for this) and cook until about 1/2 done. Add the onions and cook until well softened. Then add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Cook the whole mess until it's starting to get brown/black crispy in places. Dump it out on a plate temporarily.

Form your burger into two patties, add your seasonings (I used salt and pepper), and grill each of those in the same pan (with the bacon grease etc.) for 5-7 minutes per side (depending on size). Remove from pan and put on a serving plate.

Dump the other stuff back into the original pan, turn the heat on low, and add the cream cheese chopped into cubes and the sour cream. Stir slowly until it's all melted, and mix all the bacon-onion-mushroom well into it.

Dump that mix over each of the burger patties. Eat.

Calories: About a bazillion and will depend on exact portions of everything.

Carbs: Probably somewhere between 6 and 10, depending on your bacon and how big your mushroom/onion portion was.

Your 11 year old saying, "I want this every day when I come home from school!" -- priceless. :-) And to think, she used to beg for Ramen or hot pockets or mac&cheese. :-)

PS for people who don't do dairy, you could just leave out the sour cream and cream cheese, because even the bacon-mushroom-onion mix was really really good. :-)

PJ

rdy2rde
Tue, Feb-26-08, 11:27
This sounds delish..gonna try it this week.

Lisa

ElleH
Thu, Mar-06-08, 14:20
PJ...wow, this sounds wonderful. and perfect for my high-fatting regimen. Now *you* are the Kitchen Goddess. :) I think this would be good with those little mock-tender steaks (chuck steaks)...or something more expensive, of course!

BluePants
Sun, Mar-09-08, 11:22
I know this is an old post, but I needed a meatball recipes and OMG this looks delicious.
Thanks for posting Carol

LessLiz
Sun, Mar-09-08, 12:13
BP, thanks for bumping this up! I'm going to give it a try!

Sandollar
Sun, Mar-09-08, 12:34
I'm going to add Italian sausage to my next batch to spice them up a bit.
Baking instead of frying is a great idea!

Lie2MeJL
Sat, Mar-29-08, 21:27
I found this recipe online today after having them at a few restaurants...absolutely AWESOME :)

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2007/05/recipe_the_juicy_loosey.html

Lie2MeJL
Sat, Mar-29-08, 21:28
minus the bun of course :)

Rosebud
Sat, Mar-29-08, 23:13
Can you post the link to the original recipe, please? :)

Lie2MeJL
Sun, Mar-30-08, 09:36
well, that is the original recipe, but I got it from here...

Rosebud
Sun, Mar-30-08, 16:26
well, that is the original recipe, but I got it from here...

Thank you. :) If you have a look through our kitchen forum rules (stickied in each of the recipe forums), you'll see that we ask you to always post a link to recipes from the net, to avoid copyright problems.

Lie2MeJL
Sun, Mar-30-08, 20:11
No problem. Hope you try them out :) they're sooo awesome!

misschris
Sun, Mar-30-08, 20:37
I will definitely be trying these on "ground beef" night!! I think I have found something to do with this pepperjack cheese I have laying around!!! thanks!

Natkins
Thu, Apr-17-08, 16:18
4 slices American cheese (NOT cheddar; see note above)

Why not cheddar or swiss? I did not see any "note above"....

misschris
Thu, Apr-17-08, 16:29
Why not cheddar or swiss? I did not see any "note above"....

Maybe it is due to the cheddar "separating"? Cheddar never melts as good as some of the others. Not sure if that is it or not. I tried these and they are very yummy!!!

Lie2MeJL
Sun, Apr-20-08, 09:36
Yeah it's because of the way the cheese melts...the note was supposed to say

"And, hey, YOU! Yes, you with the cheddar. Put that down. You MUST use American cheese on this. According to Mr. Edge, "Only those orange squares of vaguely plastic texture will achieve proper fluidity."

You can find it on the original website where I found the recipe, here- http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives...icy_loosey.html

tashaskye
Sun, Apr-20-08, 17:39
Broiled pork ribs with spinach and deviled eggs. Not too exciting, but pretty good.

Sapphire2
Sun, Apr-20-08, 21:21
Ooooooooh, The Juicy Lucy looks absolutely delish :yum: :yum: :yum: . I'm a sucker for a good burger. I will be having those tomorrow for dinner w/mashed cauliflower! Thanks for posting.

Lie2MeJL
Tue, Apr-22-08, 09:39
No problem. I almost always have to make 4 of em when the grill is fired up :)

Boiler11
Fri, Jan-16-09, 11:48
The other day, I was wanting some italian food, but realized pretty much all of it has carbs. We were making burgers, so I decided to try something new. Here is what to do:

Form your hamburger (turkey/beef) to whatever size you desire (0 carbs, baby!)

Once you place it in a preheated pan, sprinkle garlic powder and your favorite italian seasoning on the raw side. Let it cook until it is nice and brown on one side.

Flip it and cook it until it is just shy of your desired "doneness"

Put a 2 oz. slice of mozzarella cheese on top and sprinkle with more garlic powder and seasoning

Put one or two slices of (or diced if you prefer) tomato (I prefer roma/plum) on top and sprinkle with a little more seasoning

Finally, put on <1 oz. of fresh grated parmesan cheese (with a little more seasoning if you wish!)

Cover with pan lid and let it cook another 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted and tomatoes are beginning to soften.

When I ate it, I wanted it to last forever. I just wish I could put some marinara on it, but I didn't have any w/o sugar. :(

Let me know what you think!

SherBel
Fri, Jan-16-09, 12:03
I will certainly try this!

gem52372
Fri, Jan-16-09, 12:03
mmm sounds like I need to take some hamburger out of the freezer. Always looking for something new to add to my burgers!!

Foody
Sat, Jan-17-09, 13:49
Oooh sounds so good! Will try.

jeanmarie
Tue, Feb-03-09, 06:54
Sounds good! I was looking for somthing to do with ground beef. Thanks!

Samantha22
Tue, Jun-23-09, 14:22
Just a little something I made today that turned out to be awesome!

My batch made 7 burgers.

2.5 pounds ground beef.
7 slices of provolone.
1 egg.
Seasoning: Chili powder, Seasonall, Garlic salt, Kosher salt, Black pepper.

Mix all ingredients (except provolone) in a large bowl and blend well. Form into 14 balls. Flatten each meatball into a fairly large but still thick patty. Fold each slice of provolone in half and then in half again, it will look like a little wedge. Lay on top of a beef patty and top with another beef patty. Seal the edges all the way around to form a pocket around the cheese. Fry in a hot frying pan several minutes on each side, or until done and enjoy!

NoBREAD
Tue, Jun-23-09, 18:18
Sounds wonderful. I'll have to try this soon.

Bru88
Tue, Jun-23-09, 20:11
Samantha its good with blue cheese that way too, going to try it your way next time! Sounds great!...Bru :wave:

mainecyn
Wed, Jun-24-09, 14:06
omg, sounds amazing. I love cheese. I do like blue cheese as well, may have to try t both ways, and you know I'm a burger slut Samantha so gotta try it.

pinkelsie
Wed, Feb-24-10, 23:03
I made this the other night when all I had in the fridge was ground beef and cream cheese. I am sure I'm not the first person to think of this, but I "invented" this by myself and have no one to credit the recipe to.

Ingredients:

*Ground beef
*Cream Cheese
*Desired spices

1. First, season the amount of ground beef that you will need for the number of burgers you want to make (eyeball it). I used cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder.

2. Next, made a thin hamburger patty (think, the thickness of a cooked mcdonald's patty, or thinner)

3. Put about 1-2 TBSP cream cheese in the center of the patty

4. Make another, identical thin patty and place over the top.

5. seal around the edges by pressing down

6. I cooked mine for 6 minutes per side on medium heat in a skillet. Your cooking times may vary due to burger thickness and heat level. You could also grill this.

7. EAT! This is soo good and Induction friendly. Also good to serve the whole family. The non-Atkins people can eat it on a bun. The cream cheese gets so good and melty, and the meat stays really moist.

Ideas: You could really use any ground meat for this. Also, if one had more time and ingredients, one could experiment with different seasoning mixtures for the cream cheese. I thought that a "Mexican" variety using taco seasoning in the cream cheese and served with pepper-jack cheese and an avocado slice would be tasty too.

:yum:

WTBThinner
Wed, Mar-03-10, 17:43
Hey Pink

That sounds simple and unlimited possibilities I will have to give this a try.
Thanks,

lowcarbjo
Wed, Mar-03-10, 18:24
I made stuffed burgers last week... only I stuffed the meat with some smushed Camembert cheese and BBQ'd them.... soooooooo good!!

jbmoore
Mon, Jun-07-10, 11:58
Just in time for this the BBQ season.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/7e/5e/61/7e5e618eec7ec94a1377de14a3f66ac4.jpg

Mmmmmmm bacon........
Handmade ground beef patties, topped with sharp cheddar cheese,
wrapped in a bacon weave.then the next step, add hotdogs as the heads, legs and tail. Next step?

Place on an oven rack, covered loosely with foil and baked for 20-30 minutes at
400 degrees. A little crispy, not too crunchy...just how a turtle
should be, no?

anthonyc
Mon, Jun-07-10, 13:06
thats just wrong lol

capmikee
Mon, Jun-07-10, 14:38
Heh... I was thinking you were actually eating turtles.

Looks great!

rodmick
Mon, Jun-07-10, 14:49
Those are cute!! I bet my kids would love them!!!

nutsnseeds
Mon, Jun-07-10, 15:35
OMG - that is so cute! Very creative.

mike_d
Mon, Jun-07-10, 16:40
I would add whole cloves for the "eyes" :lol:

zuzzan
Wed, Jun-09-10, 04:42
I love them. Perfect for a childs b-day party.

cnmLisa
Wed, Jun-09-10, 08:18
thats just wrong lol

But ohhhhh sooooo right:)

Nancy LC
Wed, Jun-09-10, 12:36
Adorable! I would so eat one, if I weren't so lazy.

sccriley
Wed, Jun-16-10, 18:45
I tried these over the weekend and they were great! I had a little trouble with leaking cheese, but other than that, it was really good.

drbrat423
Thu, Jun-17-10, 16:51
I tried these over the weekend and they were great! I had a little trouble with leaking cheese, but other than that, it was really good.

What kind of seasoning did you use? I usually use regular seasoning for meatloaf rather than a mix. And did you do the egg white or whole egg? Just asking because I might be trying this one soon.

sccriley
Fri, Jun-18-10, 05:47
I used McCormick meatloaf seasoning, which is what I use when I make a regular meatloaf, and I used just the egg white because I was worried that if I used a whole egg it would be too wet - I didn't have any parmesan cheese to compensate for that.

drbrat423
Fri, Jun-18-10, 13:42
Thanks...I'll have to pick up some of that McCormick's. I always have parmesan on hand, though!

Buttoni
Sat, Jul-03-10, 09:06
Well isn't that just the cleverest thing! Kids will love this!

Kristine
Sat, Jul-03-10, 09:13
That is awesome! :thup:

Cute for kids, but 4 kids could probably share a burger. I know I couldn't eat 3 weenies, a burger and all that bacon in one sitting. Maybe make tiny ones with Vienna sausages instead.

SaphhireX
Sun, Jul-04-10, 13:13
That is hilarious! I love it!

Kisal
Sun, Jul-04-10, 13:37
Too cute! I love it! :D :lol!

lindystar
Thu, Jul-08-10, 23:58
LOL that's adorable!! :) Aaaaaand I'd SO eat it! :D

Ayustar
Fri, Jul-09-10, 00:06
Awesome!! I should try this sometime. Try my hand at bacon weaving!

heltonart
Mon, Aug-16-10, 17:55
This is super awesome! I'll be trying these! Too cute!

jbmoore
Thu, Aug-18-11, 21:55
In looking back through these recipes, I saw this recipe I posted some time back. I don't know who deserves the credit
for this recipe, but I got it in an email with comments about it being a "heart attack waiting to happen...." or something along those lines. I didn't realize until tonight that I had failed to disclose that it wasn't my recipe.

I still haven't tried it, but it does look good!

cjmobxnc
Wed, Aug-31-11, 13:25
I saw the pictures and showed them to my mom - we're going to try them Monday. This is going to be out Labor Day splurge, along with a salad.

Jiggy Puff
Mon, Sep-19-11, 09:31
Bacon Cheeseburger balls

2lbs. ground beef
pkg bacon slices(pre cooked to medium)
cheese cubes
1T dehydrated onions (re-hydrated in 2T water)
salt and pepper to taste

Sauce:
2Tsp. dill relish
1tsp. worchester sauce
1tsp. yellow mustard
4Tsp. low sugar ketchup
1Tsp. water

season beef with S&P add onions, mix well
take a cheese cube and wrap hamburger around in covering it completely (looks like a meatball)
wrap 1 slice slightly precooked bacon around hamburger ball (I cut bacon in half and wrap one side of ball then wrap other side with other half of bacon slice)secure with toothpicks if needed.
bake all the balls on cookie sheet for 20 mins in 350 oven. Remove after the 20 mins and turn oven temp up to 425. roll each ball into the sauce and place back on cookie sheet and bake for 15 mins.
These are great for meals (kids love them) and for parties.
We never have enough when we make these :D

Jiggy Puff
Mon, Sep-19-11, 18:11
Just a note:
It is important to use the sauce because that is what makes these amazing.
:yum:

sexym2
Mon, Sep-19-11, 18:20
Sounds good, may try it tomorrow night.

deb34
Fri, Nov-11-11, 16:06
I will be doing this soon, they sound wonderful!

Buttoni
Wed, Oct-09-13, 10:39
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc278/buttonbutt/002-78.jpg (http://s217.photobucket.com/user/buttonbutt/media/002-78.jpg.html)
I was surfing the food blogoshere yesterday and came across a lovely picture of meatballs, something I’ve not made in ages. So my dinner menu immediately emerged. The delicious dish I came up with is not your classic “saucy” spaghetti and meatballs dish, as actually very little sauce is put on each serving. But an adequate tomato-y edge was there and made this a delightful dish. I gave it a two thumbs up. My husband is not 100% low-carbing, so he had his on Dreamfield’s pasta and LOVED it!

I’m providing the nutritional information for the individual parts of this as many will use this meatball recipe with other sauces and over other bases than the zucchini noodles. This dish is not suitable until Phase 2 Atkins due to the ricotta.

Although it’s just me and my husband, I like to make large batches of meatballs and freeze the extras for quick uses later on. This recipe makes 20 meatballs or 10 servings of two meatballs. Adjust your recipe as your needs dictate.

MEATBALLS:

1 lb. ground beef (I used 90% lean grass-fed)
1 lb. ground pork
2 beaten eggs
½ c. ricotta cheese
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
¼ tsp. each onion powder, garlic powder, crushed fennel seed and dried basil
½ tsp. dried oregano, crushed
¼ c. Parmesan cheese

MEATBALL DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Measure out all ingredients into a large bowl and mix together with fork or hand until well blended. Form large 1½” balls by rolling in your palms. Place them on either a non-stick baking sheet or one with a silicone sheet liner. Bake at 350º for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned and no longer oozing pink juices.

QUICK MARINARA SAUCE:

3 T. olive oil
½ c. celery, chopped
4 oz. onion, chopped
¼ c. bell pepper, chopped
5 large mushrooms, chopped
1 25.5 oz. jar Lucini “Rustic Tomato Basil Sauce”, 4 NC per ½c. serving (total 3 c. if using your own sauce)
2/3 c. parsley, chopped
3/4-1c. water, as needed

DIRECTIONS FOR SAUCE: Heat oil in skillet or large saucepan. Add celery, onion and bell pepper and saute until nearly tender. Add mushroom and saute until translucent. Add Lucini sauce, parsley and bring to a simmer on very low heat. Cook on lowest setting while meatballs are baking. Stir often, adding water, as needed, to prevent scorching on the bottom of the pan and to maintain a thin marinara sauce consistency.

ZUCCHINI NOODLES “Zoodles”: VARIATIONS: Serve over spaghetti squash or Dreamfields pasta

3 medium zucchini (about 10 oz. each)
1 T. olive oil

DIRECTIONS FOR NOODLES: Cut the zucchini into noodle shapes either with a hand held julienne peeler (what I use) or the more expensive tools like the counter-top Spirooli that is designed to do this much faster. Heat olive oil in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini threads to the pan and lightly saute just until they become translucent. DO NOT OVERCOOK them or they will get mushy and start to fall apart.

FINAL CONSTRUCTION: Plate about 1 cup zoodles on each plate. Top with 1/2 c. sauce. Place 2 meatballs on top and if desired, garnish with a sprinkle of grated fresh Parmesan.

MEATBALL NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 20 meatballs. Two per serving. Each 2-meatball serving contains:

290 calories, 23 g fat, 1.18 g carbs, .8 g fiber, .38 g NET CARBS and 20.2 g protein, 155 mg sodium and 187 mg potassium

SAUCE NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes ten 3/4 c. servings of sauce. Each serving contains:

97 calories, 7.2 g fat, 7.27 g carbs, 1.93 g fiber, 5.34 g NET CARBS, 2.24 g protein, 306 mg sodium and 144 mg potassium

NUTRITIONAL INFO FOR ZUCCHINI NOODLES: Makes about 9-10 servings noodles. Each 3 oz serving contains:

59 calories, 4.7 g fat, 4.2 g carbs, 1.4 g fiber, 2.8 g NET CARBS 1.5 g protein

Bonnie OFS
Mon, Jul-07-14, 07:46
I'm resurrecting this thread because stuffed burgers are SO GOOD! The first time I made them with just the cream cheese. Delicious! The next time I added cooked bacon. Out of this world! :yum:

With the bacon they don't always seal on the edges (that could be fixed by cutting the bacon smaller - I use 1 rasher cut in half), but they are very good. I've tried different thicknesses - 2 2-oz patties and 2 3-oz patties - both worked well. One tablespoon of cream cheese is plenty -I think more would ooze out - tho there's nothing wrong with that! I've been frying them, but grilling would work. They can be made ahead and refrigerated before cooking.

I'm definitely going to be trying variations on this one. Mushrooms sound good. Peppers, too.

JAnn
Mon, Jul-07-14, 08:22
I'm definitely going to be trying variations on this one. Mushrooms sound good. Peppers, too. Mushrooms came to mind for me, too. I wonder what else they could be stuffed with. It is summer and grilling time so this would be great with grilled corn and summer squash.

Hallyth
Mon, Jul-07-14, 10:41
I make them with Stilton cheese inside, out of this world! (Mature creamy British blue cheese)

DeannaK
Mon, Jul-07-14, 11:15
Funny to come across this...my mom had given me a container of bleu cheese and I had some ground beef in the fridge that needed fixing. I did the two patties, a handful of the bleu cheese and a few canned mushrooms (drained and dried) on each. Sealed them up well and cooked in the oven...perhaps 30mins at 350. I ended up getting 6 big burgers.

Super yummy!! I had added some sauteed onions for hubby on a bun...he said they were excellent...I had to agree!

Deanna

virgiga
Wed, Jul-16-14, 04:11
I've tried the version stuffed with ham and mozzarella. Really delicious!

Thanks for the idea :)

Bonnie OFS
Mon, Dec-22-14, 10:26
Time for a return to the lovely stuffed burger. :)

The other day I made them with smoked Gouda and some leftover canned mushrooms. Very good!

Meme#1
Mon, Dec-22-14, 10:33
Good ideas!!! I always love having some premade hamburger patties but stuffing them just takes it to another level... :thup:

Jakz1269
Wed, Feb-17-16, 11:01
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/nancys_salisbury_steak.html

Per Serving: 391 Calories; 26g Fat; 33g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

I just made this for my family and they loved it. I made double the recipe because I am feeding 8. I made the kids and hubby mashed potatoes because I have tried to serve mashed cauliflower and just about had a mutiny on my hands. So I will cut carbs for them where I can.

Meme#1
Wed, Feb-17-16, 11:16
That's a great recipe and I hear you on the mutiny at the table for cauliflower instead of potatoes. LOL
I love using the drippings in the pan left after cooking meat, to cook mushrooms and then make a gravy.
Thanks for posting.

MickiSue
Wed, Feb-17-16, 19:20
Looks yummy! Try roasting the cauliflower at 425F for about 20 minutes, after you douse it with olive oil, and generously salt and pepper it.

They'll love it!

Jakz1269
Wed, Feb-17-16, 19:41
Looks yummy! Try roasting the cauliflower at 425F for about 20 minutes, after you douse it with olive oil, and generously salt and pepper it.

They'll love it!

I will try that on Sunday which is roast night, I will let you know if I am ousted as the family cook...which might not be such a bad idea come to think of it...

Meme#1
Wed, Feb-17-16, 21:45
For kids I say smother it in butter, cream and cheese!! Lots of cheese :D :thup: