PDA

View Full Version : do you have THE plan after birth?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LCBoo
Sun, Apr-24-05, 23:05
Well, i think i do. i want to BF 6 months, after that i want to get back to my LC plan.
I don't know when to start excercising. (i mean like before pg: hard!;) ) I am planning to start Pilates as soon as possible, but i am not shure when is it ok to go back to gym. What do you think?

foxgluvs
Mon, Apr-25-05, 02:46
If you have a natural birth then there is really no reason not to get right back onto excersising again a few weeks after the birth. Obviously if you have a Csection they recommend you ease into it gently from about 6 weeks post op.
I would say, from past experience, get your two weeks out of the way and then you can excersise to your hearts content. If you are brest feeding ,just rememeber to compensate for the extra energy being burned with more cals so that the baby doesn't lose out!
GOOD LUCK :) and congrats on your baby :)

Meg_S
Mon, Apr-25-05, 12:37
I don't have any set dates.. but I feel like you do, I want to exercise - and HARD as soon as possible, possible meaning healthfully for me and baby.
I'm birthing at home, and hope/plan for it to be relatively untraumatic.
So far my idea is to start with gentle walking, to hiking+pilates, and graduate to lifting and strenuous hiking (with a baby strapped to me) and finally HIIT sprints and sports. I have no idea how long it will take - my body will tell me I'm sure :)

HollyAyott
Mon, Apr-25-05, 13:46
there isnt any reason you cant do pregnancy exercises now, they have dvds and vidos you can pick up. Also my dr. said walking while pregnant was a great exercise, as long as I wasnt running or walking 10 miles.

Also my gym when I was pregnant had a class once a week for prenatal yoga.

You;ll have an easier birth if you keep your body healthy now while pregnant.

Congrats & good luck.

Meg_S
Mon, Apr-25-05, 13:51
I lift weights, hike, do a little yoga and the stepper right now - but it feels so half assed. I notice how loose my joints are and it's scary. I don't run because of my knees/feet and..well.. my chest is just too damned heavy and uncomfortable. I know a lot of women with big breasts run, but I'm not used to this weight - so even if I bind em right up it is weird.
I'm really REALLY looking forward to working out at top intensity again!

tigersue
Mon, Apr-25-05, 16:23
For the most part they do not recommend the women postpartum start hard exercises until after the 6week check. IT is too easy to start hemorhaging. Walking slowly and short distances is okay as soon as you can tolerate it but if you see a marking increase in bleeding stop. You are also on a Weight restriction usually 10 to 15 lbs. CS the restrictions are set at 8 weeks.
Personally getting back to workouts after my last baby was and is still very difficult, I have been so tired, and now I'm pregnant again it is even more difficult for me to do it like I was even a year ago.
Tanya

rgarlough
Tue, Apr-26-05, 14:53
You can also BF and do low carb. If anything, you'll find that your CCLL will be much higher! :thup: I've been LCing while BFing and my son is now 21 months. Some people believe that ketosis is bad for BFing but I've tested my breastmilk a number of times while in ketosis and I've NEVER had ketones come through my milk :D

MasonsMom
Tue, Apr-26-05, 14:56
I suppose it would help if I logged in under my CURRENT username... :help: with my CURRENT stats...

Meg_S
Thu, May-12-05, 13:45
Good article! It talks about safely returning to exercise after birth.
www.bodyresults.com/E2postpregnancy.asp

Donna I.
Thu, May-26-05, 12:51
I know now, after four previous pregnancies, that I will not do anything after I have my baby! I have always had the best of intentions, big plans for exercising, and since I could never make myself do it when I didn't have any kids, why on earth did I think I would when I was so busy with a family?! But thats just me. I was able to cut back on my carbs and food intake so that I lost 70lbs after my last baby, without regular exercise. Not quite the reccommended way to lose weight, but whatever works!