PDA

View Full Version : Atkins or Schwarzbein or Guaifenesin + why?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

carbrolet
Fri, Apr-15-05, 00:36
First, I'm new, so 'Hi'! I was diagnosed with CFS at the start of last year (I'll fill out my profile later if you want to know more).

Low carb is definitely the way I want to go, but I was just wondering which of the low carb diets others have chosen, and why.

I like the sound of the 'induction' time on Atkins, as carbs even in moderation seem to trigger me. I like the 'metabolic correction' idea of Schwarzbeing, as I'm not really overweight size-wise, however my muscle-to-fat ratio is really not good and my metabolism is quite messed up. And as for the Guaifenesin Protocol, the info on their website reads like the story of my life!

How did everyone choose which one was right for you - is there much difference and do you think results would vary depending on which one you tried?

Gailew
Fri, Apr-15-05, 08:01
Welcome! I got the flu in 1978 and it's been CFS, FM, and other diagnoses (pl) ever since. Once I started lcing, most of the symptoms went away, until months later, when I ate one pancake. It all came back for a week! So I know that wheat or gluten figure prominently in my own case. Swarzbein is too high of carbs for me right now, I think. But I am more and more leaning toward the whole foods line of thought. So I put down Atkins/whole food as my chosen plan. The new Atkins way is to use a lot of processed low carb packaged food. That's since it became a company run by business for profit instead of one man out to prove his theory. Guifenesen I tried once years ago and it didn't seem to make a bit of difference so I dropped it. YMMV. Hope you find what works for you.--Gail

quietone
Fri, Apr-15-05, 09:23
just because I had done it before and i knew it would help tremendously with all the symptoms. I will just modify this as I go, but not with any grain products. Just more vegs and some low GI fruits.

I also tried Guifenesen some time ago and it didn't do anything for me.

cindy_cfid
Mon, Apr-18-05, 00:04
If you try guaifenesin and i highly recommend it, make sure you don't use anything other than absolutely required meds when starting it. Most any plant based supplement or aspirin type med will negate it's benefits. After you know the effects, you can add items back in, but I found I no longer needed half the things I used to take.

I haven't had any fibro pain, since using guai, except when I've tried to add garlic or spirulina supplements (garlic in the diet doesn't effect it, just concentrated versions)