PDA

View Full Version : I've GAINED weight on induction! HELP!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lauren5855
Fri, Oct-26-01, 08:09
Hi everyone..I am new to this low-carb dieting thing..I've been doing the Atkins diet induction only for the last 6 days, but I've actually gained 2 pounds! Does this happen often or am I doing something wrong? I've even been exercising everyday! HELP! :(

r.mines
Fri, Oct-26-01, 09:31
Lauren, you don't have much to lose, so any weight loss will be slower for you. Have you just started exercising? If so, the protein you're getting from low carb, plus exercise, might be building muscle, especially if you were eating lowFAT before. Muscle is denser than fat, so usually shows up as a weight gain on the scale, though a net loss in body measurements (that is, you weigh more, but you're smaller). Take measurements - they may have decreased.

Rachel

Debbielee
Sun, Nov-04-01, 23:03
I am getting sooooo depressed about this. I have been on induction for about 5 weeks and I can't lose a kilo. I took a day off the last week, just to see if it would kick start my metabolism. Well it didn't, and I almost gained a kilo instead.

I am getting so bored with the food and regime when I am getting NIL results. I don't understand. I take multi's and everything that is recommended in the book. I would like to progress to the next stage of the diet, but I can't until I know that I am losing weight.

Please help if you have any tips. :daze:

Karen
Sun, Nov-04-01, 23:21
Start a journal in the Journal Forum and give us your daily menus. We may be able to give you some pointers.

Are you on any medications? Are you a yo-yo dieter? Have you recently started excercising? Are you eating any low carb products that mimic high-carb foods?

Karen

doreen T
Sun, Nov-04-01, 23:35
I checked your profile ... you are already at or very close to your ideal weight for 164 cm height (5'5½"). Are you exercising?? It may be that there's just not a lot of fat to lose ..If you're also working out, you'll be gaining some muscle but losing fat ... Muscle is denser than fat, takes up less space for the same weight, so you'll be smaller in size, even though the scales show zero net loss. Have you taken your measurements?? Maybe your clothes are fitting looser.

Starting a journal in the Bootcamp forum is a good idea, if you plan to maintain it and make regular entries. If you prefer, you can just post a couple days worth of menus here, and maybe we can spot the troubles for you ... hidden carbs, too much "free" foods, etc ... Be sure to post everything, and amounts too please ;)

Doreen

coquina
Wed, Nov-14-01, 16:39
Lauren, I'm on Day 14 of Induction. So far I lost a pound, gained 2 pounds, then lost 4 pounds. I wouldn't freak out yet about the gain. Stick with it a little longer. Drink lots of water.

Coquina