PDA

View Full Version : Cran-Oat Flax Muffins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LC-Laur
Tue, Mar-29-05, 11:10
Came up with this recipe last night and it is by FAR the best flaxmeal muffin I've ever had!!! :yum: Now, I'm in pre-maintenence, so I added some rolled oats and dried cranberries, but if you're in an earlier phase feel free to reduce or omit these ingredients (or substitute other dried fruits). If you do, however, omit the fruit and oats add extra cinnamon and a little extra flaxmeal... These are best warm with a little cream cheese, but good with butter and sugar free preserves too.

As-is, these have 13.6 carbs and 5.7 grams of fiber (7.9 net carbs). If you omit the fruit and oats, the carb count would drop to less than 1 net carb each. Click the link to see this recipe on my recipe page or to view other low carb recipes.

(Note: I also posted this in the breakfast section since that's what I use them for)

Cran-Oat Flax Muffins (http://www.wiu.edu/users/mulmf5/recipes/cranoatflaxmuffins.php)
Makes 5-6 Muffins

2 large eggs
3 Tablespoons Davinci or Torani Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup
2 Tablespoons salad oil (vegetable, canola, etc.)
1/2 Tablespoon water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/3 cup dried cranberries

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Beat the eggs - mix in the syrup, oil, water and vanilla. In a seperate bowl, mix the flaxseed meal, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Mix into the wet ingredients. Add the cranberries. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes. Divide the mixture into 5 or 6 well sprayed muffin tins. Bake 12-15 minutes, or until set to the touch. Remove from pan immediately and cool on wire rack. Enjoy with butter, cream cheese or sugar free preserves.