PDA

View Full Version : breastfeeding moms

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ankka
Mon, Mar-28-05, 08:05
Just wondering if any moms out there have held off introducing solids and prolonged exclusive breastfeeding for more than 6 months?
Thanks!

MasonsMom
Tue, Mar-29-05, 13:36
:wave:

I am still providing at least 50% of my ds' food via breastmilk and he's 20 months old.

I held off with the 'solids' until ds started mooching off my and dh's plate... Granted, he was interested in our food by 5 months, but he wasn't actually consuming a meal or replacing a nursing session with solids. The mooching was a quick phase and he went from wanting to try things to not wanting any solids for MONTHS.

By 18 months, he's finally started having normal 'meals' for lunch anyway... He also nurses all night long, making up for any missed meals :p

mama22boys
Tue, Mar-29-05, 17:23
Hi!

I am new here, but I thought I would add my 2 cents. I am a BIG advocate of BFing and think that you should give your babies as much BM along as possible. As long as they keep growing and thriving, give them that liquid gold of yours. Both of my boys weren't really interested in solids until at least a year, very similar to the pp. Happy nursing!

dane
Wed, Mar-30-05, 00:51
Hello!
Just saw this thread, :) I am currently breastfeeding my 8month old son, and while he is sampling solids, he still gets most of his nutrition from me. Usually at the family dinner table, I'll feed him cereal plus pureéd veggie, and maybe a bit if what we're eating (minus salt). Last night he had about 1/4c rice cereal w/~2T squash, and then about a T of buttered steamed spinach. He really loved the spinach!

I agree that breastmilk is wonderful stuff, but it's important to at least start introducing solids in the older baby. An in-law of mine never really offered solids to her baby--not sure why--and is having a heck of a time now with a 14month old who refuses to eat anything other than breastmilk, mashed carrots, and baby cookies, :rolleyes:

Just wondering if any moms out there have held off introducing solids and prolonged exclusive breastfeeding for more than 6 months? Why do you ask? Are you having trouble with your young-un? :)

ankka
Wed, Mar-30-05, 09:35
Oh no, no trouble. He's only 5 1/2 months old now and at his last visit, the pediatrician said he could start rice cereal at 5 1/2 months. That was about a month ago and now that my son is at that age, it just seems so early to me. I've done some reading about the benefits of waiting at least 9 months to start solids, but I thought I would talk to the ped. more about it at the 6 month visit. I figure two weeks either way won't hurt since my son is growing so fast! :-) Just wanted to know what more experienced people have done and why they chose to wait. Thanks all!

dane
Wed, Mar-30-05, 09:39
Ah, ok, got it!

Well, my ped told me to wait until 6 months........mostly because less chance of developing allergies, plus they're more physically "ready"......ie they won't spit it right back out. :) But with my first baby, my old ped told me 4 months. And my DH's mother started him at 4 weeks, :p. If you want to wait and talk to your ped, it's probably a good idea. I started offering rice cereal to this one at 6months, but it wasn't until just the past 2 weeks he started really eating it, like more than a teaspoon at a time.