PDA

View Full Version : Italian Stuffed Mushrooms

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sue L
Wed, Mar-09-05, 10:08
Low Carb Italian Stuffed Mushrooms

Source of Recipe: personal recipe

These look like little pizzas when they come out of the oven, but they have a very meaty taste and can be quite filling. Can serve as an appetizer or as part of a main course.
http://images.snapfish.com/3433576723232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E232%3C%3D%3A%3B5%3D87%3C%3DXROQDF%3E232379782%3C39%3Bot1lsi

List of Ingredients

6 small portabello mushrooms
1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp. tomato paste
18 thin slices pepperoni
6 slices provolone cheese
2-4 tbsp. grated romano cheese

Recipe

Preheat oven to 375°F.
Line a small baking sheet with foil.
Scrape out the dark gills from the underside of the mushrooms and trim the stem off.
In a small skillet, brown italian sausage with chopped onion, garlic, salt and pepper, crumbling well.
Add water and tomato paste and stir until blended.
Simmer over low heat until mixture thickens and is fairly dry.
Place mushrooms on lined baking sheet upside down and spoon sausage filling evenly onto mushroom undersides.
Top each mushroom with a slice of provolone cheese, then place pepperoni and romano on top.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and a knife inserted into the center of a mushroom feels tender.

SSin-Deb
Fri, Mar-11-05, 17:26
Your 'shrooms look delicious Sue!! *Ü*

Miss Y-von
Sat, Mar-12-05, 06:13
What a great idea!. I put the ingredients on my shopping list for tomorrow and will make these for dinner with a small salad when my husband has his sausage and pasta. Instead of me being jealous of his pasta, he's sure to be jealous of my dinner. Maybe I'll let him has a taste. :lol:

lhill
Wed, Mar-23-05, 02:06
i just had to tell you that i made this tonight for some non lcing family and everyone raved about it! It was sooo good ;)
thanks for sharing this recipe
linda

kiwigal
Wed, Mar-23-05, 04:13
my kids love pizza made on portobello mushrooms..my son even prefers it to pizza hut pizza!!!! :thup:

Sue L
Wed, Mar-23-05, 08:14
Thanks for the compliments! :)

I know some cannot have the sausage used, but one could fill it really with anything- ground turkey, or even something like sauteed eggplant. There are lower fat types of pepperoni as well.
I know there is a recipe around somewhere for baking pepperonis like chips (till they get crispy) but I haven't tried it. I know someone who did and they liked that, although they are on SB and I don't think that fits with SB rules.