PDA

View Full Version : duration of metformin-how long......

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

xnikx
Tue, Mar-01-05, 17:37
i have no idea how long people are supposed to be on metformin with PCOS

i started it about a month ago, and will i have to take it for life? or when i hit my target weight to be at will they take me off it or what?

any input would be good :thup:

jadefox26
Sat, Mar-05-05, 11:02
www.soulcysters.com

If you go to this site there are all kinds of chats going on about metformin. From what I know about it (I was on it for about a year myself) it can be used for quite a while.
Emma x

jun keater
Sun, Mar-06-05, 09:19
I have been on it for about 7 months now. Good question, I never even thought to ask my Dr. that.

xnikx
Sun, Mar-06-05, 21:22
ur almost at ur target! wel done, i just began mine. if u find out let us no lol

Shiphrah
Thu, Mar-31-05, 08:00
This is what my endocrinologist said: PCOS cannot be cured, only managed. Even if symptoms decrease, you will still need to be on a certain level of medication to maintain that level.

Right now I am on 1000mg of Fortamet to be increased to 2000mg over a month's time. My doctor's goal is to stabilize my blood sugar and get the dosage down to 500mg to be taken long term.

xnikx
Thu, Mar-31-05, 12:32
yeh i new that bit about it not bein cured, but i thought it would be a case of getin my weight and levels to a normal place and then cum off medication and stick to healthy eatin and exercise as a natural way to keep it steady, so now il have to be on med my hole life :(