PDA

View Full Version : Help - Protein Power

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

madpiano
Thu, Oct-18-01, 05:12
Hello

I have another problem:

I am reading Protein Power at the moment. I have just worked out my lean body weight, and my Ideal weight.

According to PP my ideal weight is 155.5 - 168 lbs. This is more than my starting weight :( :( :(
I am only 5' 2" and I would like to wear a size 10 (UK size = size 2 in GAP).
I used to be size 6-8 (UK - size 1 at GAP)

If I go up to these kind of pounds, I'd be rolling through the door.

Did I do anything wrong ? Or is this book more for people with an apple shape ??
The thing which struck me most, was the fact, that the weight to hip ratio seems to be a big thing. Well, my waist-to-hip was allways good. Remember, I am the original Thunderthighs ! Whenever I lost weight, I used to lose it first on the waist. So on a low-cal diet, I ended up with a size 6 waist, and size 14 hips. Made me look even fatter !!. In this diet, I seem to lose the fat from the hips, more than the waist ( finally, I was worried if I would turn into a size 4 waist... ;) ), so actually my waist-hip-ratio is getting worse (according to the book). Due to that, my other stats seem to be weird. Maybe I didn't do the calculations right ??

Here you are:

Waist: 38 inch
Hip: 40 inch
Height: 62.99 inch

what do you come up with ??

Greetings
Sabine

europoz
Thu, Oct-18-01, 10:52

Karen
Thu, Oct-18-01, 12:57
What did you come up with for lean body weight?

Karen

madpiano
Thu, Oct-18-01, 13:01
Hmm, thanks Europoz, but I did those measurements 3 times.

Karen: the Lean Body Weight came up as 124 lbs. I would like to go down to 110-114 lbs :(

I am not sure if I can trust this thing :confused:

I allways used to weigh between 102 and 105 lbs. And that was during my time as a swimmer. If anything, I have less muscle now rather than more ( confession: I hate excercise with a vengeance :rolleyes: )

Karen
Thu, Oct-18-01, 13:08
You could have got the constants for the hips, abdomen and height mixed up?

Try it again. I don’t want to deprive you of the “aha” moment! ;)

You will be pleased!

Karen

madpiano
Fri, Oct-19-01, 07:08
Right. I tried it again, but still the same :(

I think I stay with Atkins, but take some of the stuff from PP into account. It is really good to read. It explains a lot more about how it all works and gives a lot more information about supplements and how to plan meals ( I don't think I will ever be able to do it, but I may give it a try).

I also like the section about gradually increasing the carbs. Will definitly go for that one, and I like the lists of foods in portions which contain exactly (-ish) a certain amount of carbs.

Maybe PP is more for people with an apple-shape :confused: rather than Thunderthighs ?

Karen
Fri, Oct-19-01, 10:30
OK Sabine. Have a look at these calculations. Go through "how to" in PP again and you'll find where you've gone wrong. I know it's confusing. It took a lot of concentration when I first did it for myself.

So, I'll go ahead and make your day!

Waist - 38"....................Constant 27.02
Hips - 40"......................Constant 47.44
Height - 63"...................Constant 38.4

Add waist and hips:

27.02 +47.44 = 74.46

Subract height to get BF %:

74.46 - 38.4 = 36% (rounded off)

Calculate LBM
Total Weight x % of Body Fat:

129.5 x .36 = 46.2

Total weight - Fat weight:

129.5 - 46.2 = 83.3

Ideal Range for BF % ( I assumed you were under 30)

20-28%

Subract these % individually from 100:

80 - 74

Divide lean body weight by each:

83.3 / 80 = 104
83.3 / 74 = 125

Your ideal weight range is between 104 - 125 pounds.

My bill is in the mail! ;)

Karen

madpiano
Fri, Oct-19-01, 10:42
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:wave: :daze: :spin: :roll:

Karen you are the best ! Silly me. I substraced the height in inches, not the constant :o

:wave: :daze: :spin: :roll:

I could send you some german biscuits for it ( food parcel from my nan arrived today), but they are the opposite of LC, so I better leave it ;)

Karen
Fri, Oct-19-01, 14:02
As I said, it can be a bit confusing. :confused:

So, what are you going to do with those biscuits? Feed them to BF? ;)

God bless nanas!

Karen

madpiano
Fri, Oct-19-01, 14:34
My daughter saw them, and half of them have already vanished ;)

They are propably not too bad, they contain mainly nuts, but they are chocolate coated and have some sugar in them ( the more expensive they are, the less flour and sugar they contain. The really expensive ones - we are talking about US$4 per biscuit here - are 90% nuts, a little bit of flour and sugar and coated in bitter-chocolate. Will have to ask dad to send those for x-mas :rolleyes: )

PJ in Miam
Sun, Jan-06-02, 01:49
Karen, I saw the formula you wrote in this thread above, but I have no idea how you got 27.02 as a 'constant' for 38" waist -- because I haven't got any idea what a 'constant' is. If you could fill me in on that little detail, I think I might be able to figure something out! Thanks. :)

PJ

Karen
Sun, Jan-06-02, 12:31
In Protein Power, there is a chart of constants that you use in the calculation of lean body mass. If you have the book, it's in the Assesing Your Risk Chapter.

It's a great excercise to go through.

Karen

IYONNA
Mon, Jan-07-02, 12:33
:madpaino!!(nice name)
hi you say you have thunder thighs-- No You Don"t, I am the queen of THUNDER THighs, i started to gained weight in 1999
i went from 170 to 265 in less than 2 years.

my current measurement is

waist 31"

thighs 52" :mad: :mad:

bust 38c

but i am working on these thighs and so far they are looking good , so i think we are apples not pears :) :) gotta go smell something BURNING.(check out my nickname at work klutzylady)