PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Mountain

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

firespirit
Wed, Oct-17-01, 23:18
Keeping a food journal with everyone's helpful comments has helped me so much stick to the change in eating. So here I am plunging in again :exclm: Hopefully keeping this exercise journal will do the same thing. I haven't really exercised consistently since intra-murals in high school. I used to love basketball.

Ultimate physical goal: to be able to play basketball again

First physical goal: To be able to ride my bike to and from the store (@3 miles round trip) without feeling like I'm going to die.

As I've already admitted to in at least one other post I am 5 ft 4 in tall and my hips are 5 ft 2 in around. About 1.5 years ago I through myself into a strenuous walking program, and severely sprained a calf muscle in my left leg. ( It still aches occasionally).
Since then, with this body, I haven't done much moving.

The doctor says walking, weights, and water aerobics would be a way to start. I'm afraid to commit to exercise, because, to be completely honest, I've become so lazy. But tonight I walked around my apartment complex. So this week my goal is to walk around my apartment complex at least 1 time at least once a day. And to stop driving just around the corner of apartment to check mail.

This journal's title comes from the Bible. Somewhere in there Jesus said "If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will be able to move mountains." I only have faith the size of a mustard seed that I can move this mountain of fat (if that).

I don't sound like my usual bubbly self, but I know how much harder this is for me even then giving up carbs.

Struggling along in this :doah:
Firespirit

fiona
Thu, Oct-18-01, 00:20
{5 ft 4 in tall and my hips are 5 ft 2 in around.} LOL

It might seem to be a small step : walking round your apartment complex but IT IS A START. The first step is always the hardest. After that it just gets easier and easier every day. Even when you stop it gets easier to start again.

Your calf injury might have linked exercise with pain in your mind and instinctively we avoid whatever brings us pain. Be creative about changing that and linking exercise to JOY: to achieving goals, to a new slim you, to wonderful sexy clothes ... to fun etc. The actual movements DO bring about a physiological change that gives you a FEEL-GOOD, alive feeling anyway.

Well Done.

Take care

firespirit
Sat, Oct-20-01, 00:18
Okay, okay--I confess. I started this exercise log, then I did nothing for the next 2 days. So I stopped in here tonight to vow to walk around the apartment complex tomorrow. I will check back in then.

fiona
Sat, Oct-20-01, 05:54
LOL! Confession is good for the soul but only if it is used to reassert your goals and not an excuse to get out the "self-Whip".

That is exactly how journals help. Remind me of my goals and get me back on track .... and

{to vow to walk around the apartment complex tomorrow} ... give me permission to do what I like doing best of all ! (according to my dh!)! .... nag! Have you been round that apartment complex TODAY? What did you notice as you walked briskly past?

Take care.

fern2340
Sat, Oct-20-01, 06:48
Glad you started a gym log Firespirit!
It definitely helps me to write things down and for the most part, it helps me stick with my routine more. Walking around your apartment complex is a GREAT place to start!! Keep up the good work!! I like your goal of wanting to be able to play basketball again----I love it (i've been playing since 6th grade!)

Fern

firespirit
Sat, Oct-20-01, 19:56
Ha--I did it!

I walked around the apt. complex today--not just once, but twice. First time I just kind of moseyed along; enjoying the fact that the desert has finally cooled off. Then I was really enjoying myself, so I decided to go around again, this time a little faster. Yeah for me!!!!!

My apartment complex has one side facing the street, one side with a cool view of distant mountains, and three sides that directly face small mountains. It is scenery I really enjoy. When I first came to the desert, I thought it would be all rocks and dirt; but the variety of plant life is astonishing. Almost any time of year something is blooming. Most things are dormant right now, but I did see clusters of yellow flowers here and there. Also, the complex is landscaped in big rosemary bushes ( Yes, like the spice), some of the bushes still had beautiful lavender blossoms also.

The complex is build into the side of some cliffs and has some ups and downs. It is not flat ground, so for me it is a workout. It has one really steep incline which I can walk up or down hill depending on which direction I start out in. Today I walked the steep one uphill.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :D

Natrushka
Sat, Oct-20-01, 20:21
Good Job, fire. Every time you get out and do something like that you're helping yourself, and not just physically. Exercise makes you feel good, about your accomplishments and about facing challenges. Keep up the good work!

Nat

doreen T
Sat, Oct-20-01, 22:34
Your route sounds absolutely wonderful. I'll bet it looks different depending on the time of day that you walk ... I know where I like to hike/nature walk ... it looks like a totally different place in the morning than late afternoon ... the direction and angle of the sun makes the shadows change shapes. It's great, and the walk is never boring!

take care,

Doreen

firespirit
Tue, Oct-23-01, 01:00
Why is it that somehow, something always gets in my way!

The last few days I've had some problems with my back/neck which have made even wallking nearly impossible. I slept wrong about 3 days ago; and today I could barely turn my neck, or by end of day hold my head up. My mom is really into chiropractic care, and she thinks I need to see somebody about it. I keep hoping I'll just wake up doing better--I have been rubbing liniment and tea tree oil on my shoulders and neck, also applying heat.

I have been doing some light stretching exercises, trying to stretch out the "kinks". If I'm not doing better by tomorrow, I guess I might have to call my mom's chiropractor.

firespirit
Wed, Oct-24-01, 23:24
Today I went to the chiropracter and he showed me why I was in so much pain. My spine is beginning to zig where it should have zagged--visible enough on the x-rays. The guy is real reputable, so I will be visiting him the next few weeks to straighten me out. Had my first adjustment today. Feeling bettter, but my neck muscles are still as tense as plywood :(

Came home and walked around apartment building twice. :D

Have been looking over a book I've had for a while called Strong Women Stay Slim. I'm no longer interested in the lowfat diet recommendations it gives, but it has an excellent program for beginning some training with free weights. I've got the weights to get started (3lb, 5lb, and up) at home, because I used to do the weight program the book recommends. So as soon as the chiropracter gives me the okay, I'm going to start doing this. I seem to recall really enjoying the fact that my muscles were becoming stronger.

Anything to stimulate me to a more regular pattern of exercise.

firespirit
Thu, Oct-25-01, 22:59
Once again walked around the apartment complex 2 times.

Goal for tomorrow: Do light yoga routine that I used to do--see how much of it I can still do.

AND 2x around this silly apartment complex.

doreen T
Sat, Oct-27-01, 09:51
My girlfriend has a lot of back pain problems ... and she finds chiropractic treatments really helpful. Here's hoping it brings some relief for you.

Wow, twice around the block AND yoga ... now that's progress! :D

Keep up the good work.

Doreen

numberonewendy
Sun, Oct-28-01, 06:56
I'm afraid to commit to exercise,

Hi Firespirit,

I too am afraid of commitment with exercise. Here I thought I was the only one....LOL

I have some time this morning and thought I would go through this thread. Its peaked my interest as I have just started to go to a gym for the first time in my life.

Reading your posts, gives me thoughts of, if she can do this, so can I. Thanks for sharing your fear of commitment. Your not the only one and also allows me to know, I'm not the only one ;)

firespirit
Mon, Oct-29-01, 18:52
I fell into a fit of depression and exhaustion and carbs :( (more details in my food journal) but hopefully I'm back on track now. The day after my last post I did do part of my old yoga routine, but I didn't do any walking. Other than to go to and from work, I haven't moved much since then.

I hate depression, don't you???? :bash:

I'll check back in later, hopefully to say I walked around the apartment again.

Wendy

It truly is helpful not to feel so alone. At my size, I don't think I'll ever be a fan of the "exercise til you drop cheerful club"; but I do know that I really need exercise. Even if I could lose without exercise, I'd just be a big pile of skin and wrinkles without some toning up. And as I get smaller, perhaps I'll find more joy in "moving" when I don't feel like a "mountain". A friend is trying to get me to join a gym, but I want to be exercising (at least walking) on my own before I do...Otherwise it will just be a big waste of money. Good luck with your exercise, Let me know how it goes.

fiona
Wed, Oct-31-01, 01:59
Wow firespirit

Glad I popped in here. I have used my flu as an excuse to stop exercising but seeing how far you've come has inspired me to start again.

Thanks for the pull!

Take care.

grrlpwer
Wed, Oct-31-01, 18:26
Hi Fire,....just me grrl stoping in to say hi and that i'm jealous of how pretty your walks are...I live in a subdivision were all our houses are back to back it feels like..no view :mad:

and about your walks honey,...always remember we have to crawl before we can run...take it one day at a time and dont get mad at yourself about if things come up...and always remember no matter what your still beautiful inside and out :heart:

firespirit
Wed, Oct-31-01, 21:04
Fiona,

seeing how far you've come has inspired me to start again.

Thanks for the pull! I feel exactly the same about you :)

I hadn't done much other than some light stretching, not even qualified for yoga, since my last post. Its always too...something--too busy, too sick, too tired, too depressed, too lazy :exclm:

I had just visited another thread (Trying to get motivated to exercise) where I saw your response to starting tomorrow--start NOW . Then I came to check in here and saw the wonderful things you'd written.

I was convicted. I disconnected from the web, lifted my large butt out of the chair, went outside and walked around the apartment complex twice. Thanks for motivating me :thup:

This weekend I'm going on a ladies retreat at a campground, hoping to do plenty of nature walking :exclm: :exclm:

Let's keep motivating each other, and look forward to the day when we have kicked both extra weight and paralyzing depression out of our lives...OK? :clap:

Thanks for the words of kindness, grrlpwr--and I am very thankful that the landscape is soooo beautiful. I'm just trying to get myself motivated so I can enjoy it more.

firespirit
Mon, Nov-12-01, 19:58
While on the retreat we had to walk 5 min. one way to and from cafeteria. Of course, we aren't talking easy walking here, it was a trail with rocks and logs and stones, etc. It was all downhill on the way to eat (good thing since all those people were hungry), but of course that meant it was uphill the whole way back. There was a bus if you wanted to use it. I must say I was tempted, but I didn't once take that silly old bus.

Then 2 days at the Grand Canyon. I did lots of hiking and walking the first day, but mom had paid for a bus tour the second day. :( The information the guide gave was a little interesting, but the only exercise I got all day was climbing in and out of that bus.

Now I am recovering from car accident, so we will see how the next few days go!

firespirit
Thu, Nov-15-01, 19:20
Thursday

Today I walked 3 times around the apartment complex. First real exercise since the car accident. Tonight, I'm going to try to do some yoga. I found the booklet that contains the positions I used to do, and my body sure could use the stretching out.

It's that TOM, and all I want to do is sit, stare, and eat---best reason in the world to make myself get up and to something!

firespirit
Sat, Nov-17-01, 03:41
Friday

Well, I didn't ever get to the yoga--but I did go twice around apt complex today. :thup:

kezza
Sat, Nov-17-01, 05:17
Hi firespirit,
I have not been a big fan of exercise...I used to think it was just because I was carrying so much extra weight...it was never much fun.
BUT i went on a holiday to England for three weeks in the middle of Winter (and it snowed). I found I had so much energy I could walk over small 'fells'(hills) and from one village to the next (a couple of miles). I also walked all over London. My hubby was amazed because he is used to me labouring along behind him...huffing and puffing.
So what was the difference to exercising in England and exercising in Brisbane, Australia?
1. It was so much cooler I did not get overly hot and sweaty. This meant I was much more comfy.
2. It was a new and interesting place. I had to get off my bottom if I wanted to see it.

Once I came back from my holiday all exercise just stopped again...35 degrees celius and 80% humidity just knocked me around. All I wanted to do was lie down!!
My Mum moved to Melbourne in the south of Australia and she found she had much more energy in a cooler climate....or was it the new environment again.

So now do I exercise....well...sometimes.
I like yoga and go through phases where I do it every day for a week or two. I have a dog and I could take him for a walk....but I always find some reason not to.
Maybe the solution to all this is to do yoga in the morning when it is cool and take the dog for a walk at night...when it is cool too?
Anyway..thanks for making me re-consider exercise. I hope you really enjoy your walks around your apartment block.
Kezza

fiona
Sat, Nov-17-01, 13:30
Hi Firespirit

So sorry about your accident - hope not too much damage to you or to the car? Take care - sometimes the shock hits you afterwards.

{I must say I was tempted, but I didn't once take that silly old bus. }
Well done! Good place they had picked to put their cafeteria! Sounds gorgeous.

I just came back from a lovely long walk in a different park - bigger and with a few additional aspects to it. It was a little slippery (with the rain) to go climbing on trees etc but really enjoyed it.

{It's that TOM, and all I want to do is sit, stare, and eat....} I KNOWWW. I spent ALL day Thursday fighting (unsuccessfully) with that feeling and then feeling ashamed of myself for doing so little. Next day TOM arrived before its time and I understood.!! We know WHAT to do but not so easy to actually DO it.

Kezza u r so right - heat does take its toll. I find I am okay if I have plenty of water with me. Dehydrated muscles just do not work and tire very easily.

You are doing very well - keep it up.
Take Energetic Moving Care

firespirit
Sat, Nov-17-01, 14:56
Hey fiona :D Good to hear from you!

hope not too much damage to you or to the car? Take care - sometimes the shock hits you afterwards.

The car is totalled--Thank God, I am not :wave: I've never been through anything like this personally--and I'm surprised how defeated this makes me feel. It was my first almost new car---you ever feel like in your life you are taking one step forward, two steps back :confused:

Anyway, I'm still here and still fighting even if I have misplaced some of the old spunk :p

Oh yeah...exercise log....I did 2 laps around apartment complex. Beautiful scenery, but getting kinda boring.

Later :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

fiona
Sun, Nov-18-01, 08:56
I am sorry about your car and really glad you are safe.

{Firespirit: ...and I'm surprised how defeated this makes me feel.} I am not - I know just how you feel.

My car got stolen during the early hours of 1st January 1999 - after months of malicious, senseless damage. After the initial shock wore off I was quite relieved 'cos of what happened before it got stolen. It was hard at first but I learnt to manage without my car.

Nearly three years later I still cannot face the prospect of owning another car ... I know .. I know ... stupid to allow such defeatism but I'd rather take the bus for the time being. Besides it is healthier for me to HAVE to walk and get some exercise in.

{...even if I have misplaced some of the old spunk..} I don't think you have misplaced your spunk at all. There is a huge boulder in the path and you are ... very courageously and humourously ... working out how you are going to get past it. I have every faith you will get past it too.

Take Energetic Loving Care.

firespirit
Mon, Nov-19-01, 00:22
Thanks Fiona--I really need and appreciate all the encouragement since I got so rattled about the accident and all! :daze: :spin: :roll:

Very busy day....no time for real exercise--although it was a really beautiful day and I'm kinda sad I missed the walk. I got alot accomplished cleaning, organizing, writing, thinking, etc. I did put on some jams and dance around the house a little---so I think I'll count that as exercise for today ;)

firespirit
Mon, Nov-19-01, 21:39
It's been a time of re-evaluation and goal setting. These are my goals through the end of the year regarding exercise. This is what I will aim for. For more on the goals I'm choosing to set in this WOL see my journal in bootcamp :)

Exercise:

1) Cardio--I will walk every day a minimum of 15 min; and usually much longer.

2) Strength--I will do strength training routine 3 days a week.

3) Flexibility--I will do yoga 3 days a week.

Now, anyone reading this knows how scared I have been to commit to exercise...but I refuse to be ruled by fear so...here goes.

firespirit
Sat, Nov-24-01, 21:57
Because I just seem to keep running out of time, I'm going to try posting gym log once a week on Saturdays.

On last entry I laid out my goals. I started Wednesday.

Wednesday: Walk 25 minutes--once around apt complex then partway up the mountain behind my apartment.

Thursday: Thanksgiving Day--no exercise

Friday: 15 min indoor walking/marching for aerobic exercise
Completed strength training routine which includes:

Chair Stand level 1
Overhead Press 3lb weights
Bent-over Row 3 lb weights
Calf Raise level 1
Seated Fly 3 lb weights
Arm Curl 3 lb weights
Shoulder Stretch 2
Quads Stretch 1
L-back/H-string Stretch 1
L-leg/Ankle Stretch 2

Saturday: no exercise

The Chair Stand and Calf Raise have 2 levels 1 is easy and 2 is harder to do. With the weights I'm doing 2 reps of 8 each. After I was done I didn't feel like I'd done much; but today I knew different: My legs are so sore!! So is my abdomen. I used muscles that I haven't used in a long time :exclm: I'm achy--but it is a good ache.

I meant to walk today, but when I got off work I just went to sleep. I guess my body needed the nap. My strength isn't what it was before the accident. I guess that's normal--healing process and all. But physically I wasn't very strong before the accident and now I'm just exhausted. As sore as my leg muscles are--I probably needed the day off.

I will report next week!! :wave:

fiona
Wed, Nov-28-01, 18:02
You are doing fine. Every day is different. Some days you can do a lot better than others - the main thing is that you are still continuing.

Be gentle with yourself - you need time to heal and rejuvenate whilst at the same time not give in. It's a difficult balance to get just right.

Take care.