PDA

View Full Version : Progesterone cream, PCOS, & pregnancy?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jadeca
Mon, Feb-21-05, 15:00
Hi, has anyone here with PCOS used natural progesterone cream to help them carry successfully to term? I have PCOS and after 5 years of trying, I finally got pregnant last year when I went on low carb. Unfortunately, I didn't know at the time that people with PCOS are usually low in progesterone (necessary to successfully carry) and I miscarried. :( I am trying like hell to avoid that again, and being that I am low carbing again, if I get pregnant I want to do everything I can to ensure it's survival! I have just started using natural progesterone cream 3 days ago. Although I don't really notice too many effects from it yet (naturally) aside from headaches, I have done much research on it and am very excited about the potential benefits that I'll experience! I need to regulate my hormones anyway.
Anyone? Thanks!

aeburse4
Mon, Feb-21-05, 15:47
Hi...

I don't have PCOS, but have been trying to conceive #2 now for 6 months. I started low carb about 2 months ago and ever since, my cycles have been so screwed up that I have decided to put it on hold for a while. It took me about 12 months to conceive #1 and she was born successfully 2 years ago. One thing I can tell you seriously abour progesterone cream is if you really don't need it, it can make TTC so much harder. I know the feeling of desperation, but your progesterone should really be checked by a doctor before you go out and by even the over the counter stuff. Believe me...I have thought about it mylself, but I have been on a lot of forums in the past where it really messed up peoples cycles. Definetly go see your Doctor! It will give you peice of mind too. Usually the do it at around 7 DPO (or days past ovulation). They will give you the good stuff if you need it!

Good Luck in you TTC Mission...I know it can be tough!

Mandy :wave:

jadeca
Wed, Feb-23-05, 00:21
Hi there! Thank you very much for responding, I appreciate it! :)

I'm curious as to how the cream can be detrimental? Progesterone is something that the body makes naturally anyway, and I'm using a natural cream, nothing synthetic. Also, I have 99% of the symptoms for estrogen dominance, so I am 99% sure that my hormones are out of whack (WAY too much estrogen!) PCOS VERY often throws them out of whack and progesterone is normally low.
I would love more info if you have it. If you have any studies or personal stories from others I would love to read through them. I definitely don't want to do anything that will make it harder for me but I haven't found anything that says natural progesterone cream can be bad. I always like to research every angle of something, especially when it comes to my health!

Thanks again for your help! :)

aeburse4
Wed, Feb-23-05, 06:08
If you have a luteal phase defect - using progesterone cream from ovulation to menstruation/pregnancy will help to lengthen the luteal phase. Use an all-natural progesterone cream (I recommend Happy PMS Cream) 1/4-1/2 teaspoon twice a day rubbed on inner thighs, belly, chest, arms, neck - alternating areas each application. The cream is safe to use when early pregant.

ouzogirl
Wed, Feb-23-05, 07:31
Hey there,

I know that you are looking for something natural but my doc also told me that if I am found to have a progesterone deficinecy (sp?) while TTC, then I could take a lower dosage of provera during the Luteal Phase of my cycle (after O'ing). I would have to continue to take this if I became pg for a certain amount of time to ensure that lining of the uterus was substansial enought to endure the pregnancy.

I've seen other women talk about this as well. I guess some women who miscarry don't have a thick enough lining so they are put on provera to help prevent the miscarriage.

Like I said, I know you are looking for a natural cream/remedy..I just wanted you to know that some Drs. think that progestrone in any form, in lower dosages is okay for pregnancy.

Good Luck! I'll check in to see what other responses you get!