PDA

View Full Version : Kohlrabi and Eggplant Paté! See link inside!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kimberlyw
Wed, Feb-09-05, 07:29
This recipe looked AWESOME! I think, just do not use the breadcrumbs, but instead pork rinds (I think *some* kind of crumbs are necessary for "binding" the paté together) and there you go!

Karen? What do you think would work in place of bread crumbs? I thought about Parmesan because it would taste AWESOME, but I think you need the "binding" quality...now for the link!

Link to Recipe (http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=11579)

I am ALSO pasting the recipe here, IN CASE the other site closes, so we don't lose it:

NOTE: this recipe is from fooddownunder.com and is linked above!

Title: Aubergine and Kohlrabi Pate
Keys: Appetizer Brunch Lunch Vegetable Tubers Root Low Calorie Fat Free Diet Appetizers Spreads Sandwiches Vegetarian
Yield: 8 Servings

Ingredients:

1 med Aubergine
3 lrg Kohlrabi bulbs with leaves
2 x Garlic cloves, crushed
6 x Scallions, chopped
1 tsp Olive oil
2 tsp Ume plum vinegar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/2 cup Breadcrumbs

Method:
Preheat broiler.

Cut aubergine in half lengthwise & place flesh side down on a broiler pan or baking sheet. Broil until the skins are split & black, about 7 minutes.

Remove from the broiler & scoop out the flesh when cool enough to handle.

Discard skin & set aside.

Trim the stems off the kohlrabi, reserving the leaves. Peel bulbs & & coarsely chop bulbs & leaves. Steam the bulbs for 10 minutes. Add chopped leaves & steam fro another 5 minutes, the bulbs should be tender.

Place kohlrabi along with the aubergine, garlic, scallions, oil & vinegar in a food processor & blend till smooth. Mix in the salt & pepper & breadcrumbs. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, smooth the top & refrigerate overnight. Remove from the bowl by inverting onto a platter.

~Kimberly