PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on pork rinds

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Glenda
Thu, Oct-11-01, 19:47
Is there such a thing as eating too many pork rinds???? I love the things. Don't eat them every day, but probably every other day. The bag is 80 grams and I usually eat ½ bag at one sitting. I wonder if I am getting too much protein?? Is that possible???
Also, can one get too much fat??? I love the bacon, and the whipping cream. Usually eat sf jello with jello flavoured whipping cream on top. Every third night or so for a treat after dinner. And I use whipping cream in my coffee in the morning.
I am on a major stall right now. Stuck at 248 for a couple of weeks now. I think for awhile I was not eating enough. And perhaps I was eating too much dairy. Not sure. Hopefully things will start moving again soon.
Thanks.

Glenda

JeanetteJ
Thu, Oct-11-01, 20:02
Glenda,

Well I'm not an expert pork rind eater. I hated them, until I found a bbq flavored brand I could tolerate, then started to like them. I can eat the whole bag at one time. 6 servings. I think, probably too much of anything is not a good thing. but i don't think one bag of pork rinds is bad, and if you think about it, it's still less fat than the couple candy bars i used to consume in one sitting. Those sweets with one or two carbs per serving can add up very fast though, so I'd be careful with that. As for the stall, maybe try eating more, it is possible to eat too little or exercising, if your not already, or try to see if you're still shrinking in size even if the scale is being frustratingly stubborn.

Jeanette

JeanetteJ
Thu, Oct-11-01, 20:05
Why does my bag of pork rinds, with 7g protien per serving, and 42g per bag, say on the label "not a significant source of protien." ???

Glenda
Thu, Oct-11-01, 20:21
Not sure about your pork rinds. I think ours in Canada are different. The ones I buy are called Bacon Puffs, and are done by Old Dutch. The ingredients are pork rinds, lard and salt. I have not found another brand yet. Fitday.com says 1 cup of pork rinds is:

174 calories
10.02 grams of fat
0 carbs
19.62 grams protein

Hope this helps.

Deirdre
Thu, Oct-11-01, 20:23
I would be more concerned with the sodium in the pork rinds, it can cause you to retain water. I really don't think 1/2 bag is too much, depends how often you eat 1/2 bag though!

7g protein is very little, especially as part of the amount you probably eat daily, that's probably why it says not a significant source.

Are you counting the carbs in your whipping cream? About .6 g / tablespoon, 6g / cup?

Anyway, I wouldn't consider 2 weeks to be a major stall, it will happen occasionally.

Glenda
Thu, Oct-11-01, 20:35
Thanks Deidre. Yes, I am counting the carbs in the cream. I am trying to stay under 30 grams of carbs per day.
I'm not TOO worried about the stall, as I know something is happening. Clothes are starting to feel a lot better.
also, I have not been exercising. I have had terrible feet for about 8 years. Only in the last few months have I found someone who says they will get better. Have mild arthritis in the feet, and also bad plantar fasciitis. Too much walking gets the left heel in a lot of pain. But I did go out for a walk today, down to the mailbox(about a kilometre round trip-uphill one way) and it wasn't too bad. MIght have to make that daily trek.
Thanks for your help.

Glenda