PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of Hoods LC Milk Please?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

loveme
Tue, Feb-08-05, 09:58
Can anyone tell me if this is allowed on OWL? Also, does it taste like milk, for real? Thanks everyone.

cs_carver
Tue, Feb-08-05, 10:04
I love it; don't know if it tastes like "real" milk because I haven't been able to drink that for the past 15 years.

Allowed, I think, if the amount you drink fits into your daily carb level.

Does slightly strange things at the end of the system but no where near as bad as the sugar alcohols.

jimmurphym
Tue, Feb-08-05, 10:10
Hood yogurt is also very good.

Dawna
Tue, Feb-08-05, 10:14
I love it! I never cared much for the real deal, but the Hood's is one thing I would very much miss if it were not available.

I have a difficult time getting the required calcium I need on this WOE. For that reason alone, I would drink it or cook with it whether it were allowed or not. Considering all the crap that is now "allowed" in Induction as long as it sports the Atkins logo, I would not worry about it. Just my $0.02.

LC-Laur
Tue, Feb-08-05, 10:42
I use the Hood Chocolate Milk for protein shakes and the 2% milk for recipes, cereal, etc. I don't care for the skim version or whole milk version, but the 2% is quite good.

HogarthNH
Tue, Feb-08-05, 11:02
It's a fantastic product.

Nancy LC
Tue, Feb-08-05, 11:35
I drink the 2% kind and the chocolate when I can find it. 2% took a day or two to adjust to a slightly different taste, but it was SO much better than soy milk. It also has a lot more calcium than regular milk. The chocolate is awesome, tastes like a choc shake.

It's never affected my "system" in the slightest.

Moonwalker
Tue, Feb-08-05, 11:48
yes its allowed on OWL, its a great product.

Meghan
Tue, Feb-08-05, 12:57
I Love to mix the chocolate in my coffee! And if I feel like being naughty a little heavy cream in there also makes a REALLY good iced coffee!

bb6399
Tue, Feb-08-05, 13:50
love it, and my son loves the chocoalte b/c it's like a chocolate shake!

Meghan
Tue, Feb-08-05, 14:01
Heyhow did you get that scale thingy on your signature?

jodfrom
Tue, Feb-08-05, 14:25
I've had the chocolate and the whole milk. They're actually really good. Just make sure you shake them well before pouring. Totally different taste.

jo

loveme
Tue, Feb-08-05, 16:35
Awesome guys! Thank you!

premomma
Tue, Feb-08-05, 16:53
I love the chocolate milk...and I love the yogurt...but the whole milk, I'm not so sure about it. I mean, I like the taste, but for some reason I notice that is spoils much faster than the listed expiration date! Has anyone else noticed this? I first bought it from Walmart once....it spoiled like 2 weeks before the expiration date...so I bought it again, thinking maybe I just got a bad carton..again it spoiled way early. So then I thought, well maybe it was just Walmart. So next, I bought it from Food Lion..and the same thing happened! I really was disappointed because the taste was good and the carbs are really low, but I can't afford to keep shelling out money for milk I can't drink. Anyone else have this problem??? Thanks!

PS I wish I had saved all the receipts and barcodes so I could get 3 refunds :)

Nancy LC
Tue, Feb-08-05, 17:04
Did you open the carton, Premomma? It only keeps about 7 days after you open it.

cc48510
Tue, Feb-08-05, 18:19
Did you open the carton, Premomma? It only keeps about 7 days after you open it.

That's my only problem with Hood...They should offer it in Pint Bottles like Real Milk. Then, I could use it all before it starts to go bad.

Nakkira
Tue, Feb-08-05, 18:36
I really like the chocolate. I use it as a morning kick start on those days that I just don't wanna even look at food in the morning. I've tried the 2% one time and I had it with the atkins cereal which wasn't too bad. Alone it was a bit too sweet for my taste tho. Chocolate for the win!

astrocreep
Tue, Feb-08-05, 22:09
Really? Only 7 days? I've had mine in there for 2-3 weeks and it's still good. I liked the chocolate too though. I made a killer mocha tofu shake with it (tasted JUST LIKE chocolate tofutti!).

Nakkira
Wed, Feb-09-05, 00:52
Oh yeah, I've made a latte kinda thing with the chocolate too. Just took some coffee, chocolate milk and ice and stuck it in the blender. Pretty good.

premomma
Wed, Feb-09-05, 09:40
Yes, I opened it. Even after it is opened, shouldn't the stamped expiration date be correct? It spoiled a week or two sooner than the date indicated. Strange.

Nakkira
Wed, Feb-09-05, 12:56
It says on the box to use within a week of opening. I think the date on the box is the open by date.

premomma
Wed, Feb-09-05, 12:59
That may have been the problem :) I'll check it out. Like a previous poster said, I wish they had it in smaller containers. I don't drink it alot, but when I want it, I want it :)

GraceKim
Wed, Feb-09-05, 14:49
I am in love with the chocolate milk and have been known to drink the whole carton in oneday! But for me it lasts about two weeks... I don't think that I could keep it any longer without drinking it! Never been much of a chocolate milk, or milk fan, but I love this stuff! Someone on this forum told me to warm it up and add a bit of whipped cream and viola.... Hot Cocoa! And she also mentioned freezing it in the freezer for a "fudgescicle" like taste!