PDA

View Full Version : How bad is alcohol?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Erin4980
Thu, Oct-11-01, 01:12
Well it's my first day in and I have to ask about the regulations on alcohol. I'm in college, a senior, and I'm not gonna lie I occasionally have a beer or four:) I know the Atkins book say if you're going to drink, stick to red wines (b/c low sugar), but I can't go tailgating and ask for wine :rolleyes: Anyway...is it possible to have vodka and say diet 7up or diet mountain dew? How much of a set back will I have? Can I drink during induction (I'm guessing not, but I thought I would ask;)?
Thanks,
Erin

Trainerdan
Thu, Oct-11-01, 05:10
Well, the best advice is ...

If you are serious about your goals, then you will give up alcohol to reach them.

That aside, I know a few of my bodybuilder buddies drink vodka and diet coke on occassion when they are in early weeks of contest prep. But, they stop drinking within 8 weeks of their contest.

I am not condoning consuming alcohol while on a Low-carb (LC) diet, but just sharing some advice that I have seen. Personally, I drop it altogether when I am on LC ... but I am not a big drinker anyway.

Keep us posted on your results ...

Natrushka
Thu, Oct-11-01, 06:34
Dan's right, of course. Giving up alcohol to reach your goal is the best bet. If you must drink, and can't stick to the dry wines, spirits are ok, but be sure the mix is sugar free. The inherent problem with alcohol is that your body will burn it before going after carbs or stored fat. It also tends to lower inhibitions making it easier to stray. Btw, beer, unless is the light kind, is bad.

Nat

Dichela
Fri, Nov-09-01, 12:18
This is just my experience...and probably not the best advice ever :devil:

During the past six weeks of LCing I've gone out twice for a couple of drinks (scotch and H20 or on the rocks mainly, sometimes red wine) and I've had the worst stalls. It takes me over a week to get over the damage. It is definitely a trade off. If I were you, I wouldn't do any beer or sweet mixers. Its all about choices and the kind of lifestyle that you want to have....There it is my two cents!

:p Best wishes
Ma