PDA

View Full Version : Quitting and TMJ

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

KMaryP
Sun, Jan-23-05, 19:41
I'm planning on quitting smoking tomorrow once and for all! I bought the patch to help me through the first few weeks. My biggest problem is that I suffer from severe TMJ, making it almost impossible to chew gum, or anything else, to get me through cravings. I've found when I quit in the past, that as I get stressed from craving a smoke, I tend to clench my teeth, further aggrivating the TMJ. Do any other quitters have this problem and some suggestions on how to get through the first few weeks? I'm definitely quitting this time, but I'm also hoping to do it without severe headaches and lock-jaw caused by TMJ.

Wish me luck!

foxee
Sun, Jan-23-05, 19:52
Congratulations on your decision,,I too am quitting AGAIN.. first time used patch quit for 10 years... yes 10 been smoking now for 2yrs but.. I QUIT AGAIN TONIGHT..when I felt like a cigarette i would brush my teeth.. and enjoy the fresh taste and the thought of my non stinking cigarette breath..I found it easy actually..now for work.. its not easy.. so keep a bottle of water with you at all times if possible..and take a drink..the patch worked GREAT FOR ME THE FIRST TIME...heres to us..
good luck and let me know how you are doing...ps.. I cant chew gum either..

tofi
Sun, Jan-23-05, 19:53
Have you checked the internet for exercises to help the TMJ? I am sure there are some. If not, I can give you some.

It's important to "lengthen the back of your neck" so your chin doens't poke forward. You'll feel the long muscles from the bump n the back of your head down to the upper back. This makes the "crown" of your head the highest point, not the top of your head.)

When your neck is long, make a fish face (or kissy face) with pursed lips. Slowly and gently, open your mouth - concentrating on the cheeks right beside the nose and corners of your mouth. Hold in the open position for 120 seconds. Slowly close again & repeat.

Watch in a mirror to be sure that your jaw doesn't go sideways. If it starts to, stop there, close mouth and slowly open again.

The important thing is to open straight & slowly and then hold for 10 seconds and more.

I cured my own 18 months of tension-caused TMJ by doing this for just over 2 weeks. I'd do it at least 3 times a day for 5 minutes, or more often. One day, something 'cracked" and seemed to go back into its correct position and it has never come back.

Hope this helps. TMJ is horrid.

MissyOz
Sun, Jan-23-05, 21:29
Hi there,
its been 31 days since i had my last ciggerate and i also have bad tmj. What i found to help a lot was to drink lots of icy water , cut out the caffeine drinks and i took a magnesuim supplement. Actually i have noticed the tmj isnt as bad, and im sleeping better. I know its really hard but give it a go! Good luck with it

KMaryP
Mon, Jan-24-05, 18:47
Thanks for the advice. I'm almost through day 1 and so far, so good. I can honestly say I haven't had a bad craving yet. Don't get me wrong, the thought of a cigarette entered my mind several times today...after each meal, while driving in the car, after exercising (!), but none lasted for more than a few seconds. I did catch myself holding my jaw at a peculiar angle, a telltale sign of stress for me, so obviously my body was reacting to the withdrawls subconsciously. I did the TMJ exercises several times today also, and that helped a lot.

Thanks to you all and I'll keep you posted.