PDA

View Full Version : NE clam Chowder

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Quinadal
Fri, Jan-14-05, 16:23
1/2 lb bacon, diced

3 TBS butter

1/2 small onion diced

2 small stalks celery diced

5 small turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes

2 cans baby clams(10 oz) with liquid

2 TBS Better than Broth Lobster base (or you could probably use chicken base)

2 Cups heavy cream

2 Cups Carb countdown milk

2 TBS ThickenThin/NOT starch

Put bacon, onions, celery and butter in pot and cook til veggies are soft and bacon just starting to get crispy.

Add turnips, clams and lobster base. Simmer for 1 hr until turnips are soft.

Add cream and milk. Simmer for 30 hr. Whisk in thickener. Let sit 10 minutes off heat to thicken, stirring occasionally. Enjoy!

Total carbs 66g -6g fiber

TVMichelle
Sun, Jan-16-05, 22:14
Since our family LOVES NE Clam Chowder (and I'm originally from New England), this looks mighty interesting! A couple of questions: I don't like Carb Countdown milk - think I could susbtitute skim milk? Also, what is ThickenThin and Better Than Broth Lobster base? I never heard of either of those products. Where do you buy them? I see you're in Florida; can you get them at the grocery store?

Thanks, Michelle

Quinadal
Tue, Jan-18-05, 07:45
Since our family LOVES NE Clam Chowder (and I'm originally from New England), this looks mighty interesting! A couple of questions: I don't like Carb Countdown milk - think I could susbtitute skim milk? Also, what is ThickenThin and Better Than Broth Lobster base? I never heard of either of those products. Where do you buy them? I see you're in Florida; can you get them at the grocery store?

Thanks, Michelle
I'd use half and half, you want it to be creamy. ThickenThin is a LC thickener, it's vegetable gums (all fiber) you can get guar gum at a health food store, I think.
Better than Broth is a soup base that comes in a jar. It's a paste. You could probably just use hald clam juice and half chicken broth. I buy mine in Publix supermarket, so it should be available in the grocery store.

TVMichelle
Mon, Jan-31-05, 14:00
I have looked high and low for Better Than Broth lobster base, but cannot find it in any stores near me, or even on line (I Googled the name without success). Could I ask you to look at the label on the jar and give me either the website for the manufacturer and/or the 800#, if they have them listed? Even just knowing the manufacturer's name would help!

Thank you SO much!
Michelle

Quinadal
Tue, Feb-01-05, 07:09
Here ya go!
http://www.superiortouch.com/

nomosketti
Tue, Feb-01-05, 08:45
My recipe is very similar except i HATE turnips :Puke: . I use cauliflower cut up the size of diced potatoes. I also use clam juice instead of lobster base and
1/2 and 1/2 instead of carb countdown milk. Rave reviews everytime, even from die hard carbers. :yum:

TVMichelle
Thu, Feb-03-05, 11:51
Quinadal, thank you so much! You rock! I noticed on the website that they also make Better Than Bouillon CLAM base - have you ever tried it in your clam chowder? Your recipe says to use Lobster base.

Thanks again!
Michelle

Quinadal
Thu, Feb-03-05, 21:46
They didn't carry the clam base at my local store, so I used the lobster. It gave it extra flavor, so I just use that one.