PDA

View Full Version : Cough Cough

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gawdess
Thu, Jan-13-05, 14:30
Here I sit.....readying myself for my final cigarette on Sunday night.....I am kind of scared....waiting for the withdrawal symptoms...the sleepyness...the agitation....

But I will do it this time. No more hacking and coughing. No more wasting my money!

Heres to better health!

LukeA
Thu, Jan-13-05, 15:26
Good luck! You can do it!

jaimejo
Thu, Jan-13-05, 15:39
But I will do it this time. No more hacking and coughing. No more wasting my money!

Now is a good time. Have you seen the price of cigarettes lately? Not that I should talk....I'm still puffing away. :(

larlee
Thu, Jan-13-05, 21:27
On January 3, 2005, I quit smoking and I also started the Atkins diet. So far, it's great. I'm not worried about sticking to the Atkins diet but the smoking, that's another story. My mother passed away from lung cancer 2 1/2 years ago. She had quit smoking 7 years before that and she still had lung cancer. So I don't want to be in the same predicament. But I've been yo-yoing for two years. I've actually quit smoking once for 4 months but my downfall is the spring. As soon as we're out there working in the garden, the urge to smoke is greater than me. I hope this spring I can resist.

I do feel better already. I don't cough, or hardly at all. The house smells better.

Duranimal
Sun, Jan-16-05, 21:54
gawdess :wave:
Hello, hey your pics are great. What a great job you've done. I will never eat any other way than this. I'm right now having my last cigs tonight as well, I'll do the quit with you. I'm doing the smoke away plan, worked for a month a few months back and the bar scene got me. Giving the drinking thing up as well. Keep me up on how your doing and I'll do the same if that sounds good. Take care.
Duran

gawdess
Mon, Jan-17-05, 07:37
Ahhhhh! Here I am at day one already. Its 8:30 am and I am chomping away on a piece of nicotine gum. I have a month of NRTs available to me, although I am only planning to use them for the first two-three weeks, while I clean out the cigarettes in my life.

This morning I am already withdrawing, having a hard time talking to people and losing my patience easily. I am sure by nightfall I will be exhausted and ready to go to bed early. This will pass. I just need to be patient. I hope you all are doing well with your quitting.

puddypark
Mon, Jan-17-05, 10:10
Best of Luck To you!!!!! I quit right before xmas--used the patch and chewed gum like crazy!! I just cannot be around any smokers still and I don't know when I will be able to!
I love the smell of a cig--but I can not believe that when I am in a store and someone walks past me that smells like an ashtray ---that i used to smell like that??!!
As far as the impatience goes well best of luck with that too--remember if people can not handle your mood swings right now when you are really trying to do one of the hardest things ever then screw um!
I finally got over the temper/mood thing when i threw a tantrum in Macys right at xmas and didn't think ---geez I could have been arrested--OOPPS!
anyways---best of luck and i am hear for you if you need me!!

gawdess
Mon, Jan-17-05, 13:32
Thanks so much. I couldnt even talk to people earlier I was so bad. Ive decided to do nothing this week outside of go to work and then class. I am avoiding people because my moods are so shifty. It is only 2:30 and already I want to go to sleep.

Oh well. This will all be worth it in the end.

Duranimal
Mon, Jan-17-05, 20:20
I know what you mean about the shifty mood thing. I told my friends at work to just tell me I'm being an ass and I would chill out (maybe). Extra sleep sounds good, I'm pretty jittery. We're doing great. Take care.

gawdess
Tue, Jan-18-05, 07:22
Day 2 and I am still here.

After multiple nervous breakdowns yesterday, I made it! I do admit to eating chocolate multiple times to cope. It made me feel so much better. Once I get past the first three days, I will get back to being low carb. I am considering dumping the nicotine gum and doing this cold turkey.

puddypark
Tue, Jan-18-05, 09:02
Keep the gum for a while longer. I was on the patch for 2 weeks---it really helps with the urges! I also chewed the hell out of cinamon sticks! Keep up the good work and I know that the chocolate is satisfying ---boy do i miss it! (smoking and chocolate) but I need to stay away from the things that trigger the cravings still!
SO BE STRONG!!! YOU ARE POWERFUL! YOU ARE AMAZING!

BlitzedAng
Wed, Jan-19-05, 06:47
I wish you all the strength Gawdess :there:
You CAN do this. If you need a shoulder , lemme know ;) ..

Just take it one hour at a time. I would lighten up on the caffine during this time too. For me anyhow it helped me deal with the cravings a lil easier. Take care.

Angel :wave:

gawdess
Wed, Jan-19-05, 10:59
It is day three and I am feeling much stronger.

I had 5 pieces of nicotine gum the first day. I had 1 yesterday and so far today I have had none. I feel fine. WOOHOO!

puddypark
Wed, Jan-19-05, 15:11
Congrats Gawdess!!! Duranimal--I hope that your day is doing well too!
Now don't get upset if next week you need 5 sticks of gum--it takes time and you're doing SUPER FANTASTIC!!
YIPPEE!!!
Keep up the good work!!

Duranimal
Wed, Jan-19-05, 21:34
:wave: Hello, Thanks I'm doing great. Cravings are still going on for me. Got the little one to sleep over at her house. Home now, try to stay gone a lot to keep myself from getting bored. Bought 8 packs of wintergreen toothpicks tonight,
I'm set now, chew the hell out of them. Going to try those cinamon sticks as well. Thanks for the tip Puddypark. Gawdess your doing wonderful. Peace out all.

BlitzedAng
Thu, Jan-20-05, 12:03
Im rooting for you Gawdess and Duranimal.. You two are doing great. Stay strong and KEEP BUSY.... It helps..

Angel

gawdess
Thu, Jan-20-05, 13:45
Day 4 and still rockin.

I have gained 6 pounds. Oh well. It will come back off!

puddypark
Thu, Jan-20-05, 16:37
YIPPEE!!!! :agree:
YAHOOOO!!!!!! :thup:
HURRAYYYYY!!!!;)
YOU GUYS ARE DOING SUPER!!!
:yay: :cheer: :daizy: :dazzle: :clap:

Nancy LC
Thu, Jan-20-05, 16:52
Good luck all of you! Remember to talk to your doctor's about this. Mine was super supportive and hooked me up with the patch, which was the best they had 10 years ago now there is better stuff. I think the patch helped me a bit, but it was still difficult.

Also, another word of advise, if you slip up, don't let it end your attempt. Take the pack of cigs and crumple them up and totally destroy them and restart. You don't go back to square one, just pick up and continue. I had to recover from several slips before I finally made it.

But I always knew that once I made it 3 days without smoking I could go on for good because I realized that the addiction at that point isn't a physical one.

Oh yeah.... another suggestion or two:

1) Stay away from alcohol and other smokers while you're quitting.

2) Especially stay away from smokey bars, even after you've quit. You'd be amazed how many times I took up smoking again after going to a smokey bar...

gawdess
Fri, Jan-21-05, 11:09
Thanks so much! I know what your saying about the booze. I had a mixed drink last night and immediately I started to crave.

I woke up at 230 am after an intense dream and couldnt get back to sleep. I spent the rest of the time until work doing homework. Withdrawal is such a pain!

puddypark
Sat, Jan-22-05, 17:50
Dura and Gawdess???? How are you doing?? It is okay if you have a bad day---as long as we don't have to bail you out things will be alright!!
just trying to keep in touch!

gawdess
Mon, Jan-24-05, 07:01
Day Seven Here! I feel fine! I think I may have quit for good :^)

puddypark
Tue, Jan-25-05, 17:24
You are doing so great and I am so happy for you!!!!!

gawdess
Thu, Jan-27-05, 13:05
Day Eleven. Woohooo.

puddypark
Thu, Jan-27-05, 13:16
Gawd--that Woohoo didn't sound very chipper!!
Keep up the good work!!!
I am so happy for you!!!!
YYIIPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

missbitty
Thu, Jan-27-05, 14:15
Day 59!! 2 months tomorrow

pstar
Fri, Jan-28-05, 07:25
Day 20 here...we've got some butt kickin' non smoking going on here...congrats everyone!...

and...now for the transition from smoking 2nd class citizen to 1st class citizen...how wierd is it going to be not getting the "look" when sneaking off at every function, meeting, outing, etc...and on and on....I hope I don't become one of those who "give the look"......

puddypark
Fri, Jan-28-05, 07:42
pstar- the weird thing now that I am not smoking is when I do go to a function I have to concentrate fully because I am not looking for a quick getaway--I still am trying to figure out if that is good or bad! hehehe!!

CindySue48
Fri, Jan-28-05, 22:48
Day 26 here!

We're in the middle of a cold spell and bad weather, so it's really good to know that I don't have to sneak off outside to have a smoke!

Congrats everyone! and keep up the good work!!!

gawdess
Thu, Jul-07-05, 12:54
Just thought I would update..I am still smoke free (with a few minor slip ups). Definetly have put weight on, but I am working at my eating again now. Woohoo!

Thu, Jul-07-05, 13:21
Outstanding - you got rid of the habit and now can focus on the health issues - great job

gawdess
Thu, Dec-15-05, 13:34
Still not smoking! YEA!

Lisa N
Thu, Dec-15-05, 17:03
Way to go! You're going to be 1 year smoke free very soon. :)

kywoman2
Thu, Dec-29-05, 06:00
You guys keep up the good work, I quit cold turkey on October 15, 2005. I had the inside of my house painted this summer, and could not believe how the nicotine had accumulated on the ceilings. It made me feel so dirty, and of course my hubby smokes too. So I took a stand, hoping he would follow. The best he is doing is smoking outside. I feel better, smell better, and the wheezing at night is gone, so as Martha Stewart says, it is a good thing!!

Lisa N
Fri, Dec-30-05, 20:54
Keep going, Kyowoman! I quit cold turkey October 28, 2005...9 weeks nicotine free today. :thup:
I know what you mean about the wheezing...I don't miss that at all. :p
I did notice a lot of triggers through the holidays, but have managed to not give in to any of them which is a good feeling. :)

kywoman2
Sat, Dec-31-05, 04:05
Good job for you too. I bought some peanuts in the shell, and I find it really works for me when I am nervous or when I would otherwise light up a cig..I just crack open a few nuts and enjoy. You know I find though, that I cant stand the smell of my husband smoking. I dont want to upset him by complaining, because I know there is nothing worse than an old smoker being a bitch! But my nose is really super sensitive!

Lisa N
Sat, Dec-31-05, 09:17
Fortunately for me, I was the only smoker in my household so I don't have to put up with smelling someone else smoking if I don't want to. All my friends are smokers, though and I have to consciously remind myself not to wrinkle my nose when I walk into their houses because it does smell like an ashtray to me. I think the reason that our sense of smell seems so sensitive is because we didn't realize how bad our sense of smell had gotten while we were smokers and now that it's coming back, it takes getting used to again. Believe it or not, even smelling the exhaust from other cars now bothers me.
OTOH, I'm very much looking forward to being able to smell the wonderful smells of spring. :)

kywoman2
Wed, Jan-11-06, 06:44
So where are the use to be smokers for 2006, everyone still on the wagon? Still smoke free since October 15, 2005 . Cold Turkey

Lisa N
Wed, Jan-11-06, 21:02
So where are the use to be smokers for 2006

Still nicotine free since October 28, 2005; quit cold turkey. :)

kywoman2
Thu, Jan-12-06, 04:45
Good job Lisa! I think now I have it whipped. Still have to contend with my hubby who refuses to slow down! I am getting to where I cant stand the smell!

Lisa N
Thu, Jan-12-06, 16:16
kywoman, I'm not going to claim victory just yet, although I will say optimistically that the war is going very well at the moment. :D In the past, I've gone 4 months without smoking and then relapsed. I think I'll be feeling more comfortable with my quit when my 1 year anniverasary rolls around but even then we have to work at not getting complacent; once an addict, always an addict and we are all never more than 1 puff away from relapse.
I'm noticing lately that I'm having thoughts of smoking less and less which tells me that more and more of my subconscious triggers are being broken and I'm steadily progressing in breaking all the aspects of my addiction. :)

kywoman2
Fri, Jan-13-06, 06:01
I keep telling myself that everyday I am a winner. I am so glad the wheezing is gone, that had me concerned. I like the smell less and less and now finding it really unpleasant. A lot of our family smokes and have opted to smoke outside, which I cant believe. I have said nothing about it. You know I think my biggest turning point is when we painted the interior of our house this summer, and didnt realize the residue....I was astounded!! I thought my ceilings were white until the first roller of paint was put on.....wow....keep up the good work, I really dont have the urge at all. Cigs are all over my house and it would be easy if I really wanted, but since I choose not too it seems a lot easier!

kywoman2
Fri, Jan-13-06, 06:03
Hey Lisa did you notice not to many people responded to this thread, hope they didnt fall off the wagon!

Poloman9a
Tue, Jan-17-06, 18:30
I still cant bring myself to quit, especially now that im going full-bore on the lc. I feel like I need one to curb my appetite or I need one to relax me, or I need one because its 430 on a tuesday....Im frustrated but Im figuring that once the weight is off and Im healthier in general it will be a lot easier to qit smoking. Im probably deluded but thats my hope...

MyraS
Tue, Jan-17-06, 22:33
So where are the use to be smokers for 2006, everyone still on the wagon?
Last cigarette on June 29, 2005. Read "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking" three times, had 1 hypnosis session, and nothing else.

Myra

kywoman2
Wed, Jan-18-06, 05:27
Good job Myra, I really didnt have a bit of trouble this time quiting. Years ago I chewed the gum and was told I was still mean! This time I just weaned myself down and stopped. My turning point was this summer when we had the interior of our house painted. My husband and I both smoked like chimineys. My walls and ceiling was white throughout the house or so I thought until the first roller of white paint went on the ceiling. I couldnt believe the nicotine...I had such a fit, even before I quit smoking that most of our smoking family opt to smoke outside, and u know what a pain that is!! Hubby is trying to do that too, because I am finding I cant stand the smell! Good luck to you! Great job on your weight loss. How long have you been on the atkins?

kywoman2
Wed, Jan-18-06, 16:41
Hey Polo :wave: :wave: You know I had all of the excuses too. But I figured if I quit smoking and started dieting at the same time, I wouldnt have to contend with the inevitable weight gain. You just have to really want to quit, I find it is definitely a mind set for me. I am around people who smoke all of the time and it doesnt make me want to at all, which really surprises me! So far it is working for me, I really feel better from not smoking and now I am starting to feel the inches slide off, so for me it was a good combo! :agree:

I still cant bring myself to quit, especially now that im going full-bore on the lc. I feel like I need one to curb my appetite or I need one to relax me, or I need one because its 430 on a tuesday....Im frustrated but Im figuring that once the weight is off and Im healthier in general it will be a lot easier to qit smoking. Im probably deluded but thats my hope...