PDA

View Full Version : Delicious Sauce!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Tally
Sun, Jan-09-05, 21:19
I was bored of broccoli with butter so I decided to make up some sauce and it came out sooooo yummy! My boyfriend loved it too. Here's the recipe:

Garlic Cheddar sauce

1 cup soy milk (heavy cream would probably work just as well if not better)
2-3 tablespoons light cream cheese
1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon cornstarch (or a similar thickener lower in carbs)
1 sprinkle each of salt, black pepper and oregano (sorry I didn't measure out the spices!)

Heat milk and crushed garlic over medium heat until hot. Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese, stir frequently until melted, bring to a very light boil. Mix cornstarch with 1-2 tablespoons of cold water. Whisk cornstarch mixture into sauce, reduce heat to low or take saucepan off heat, continue stirring until sauce thickens (it takes less than half a minute). Sauce will thicken slightly more as it cools. Add salt, black pepper and oregano to taste.

This sauce is divine over steamed fresh broccoli and sprinkled with a slice of crumbled bacon!!!

I put this recipe into fitday (using the soymilk) and it's only 13 net carbs! (16 total carbs). It's quite flavorful so you don't need much in a serving. I used 1/4 cup for my big pile of broccoli so it was only 3.25 carbs, yum! :yum:

JAnn
Wed, Jan-12-05, 16:24
Thanks, it look good and I'm going to try it. :)

willyk12
Thu, Sep-08-11, 15:23
Tally,

you mentioned in your garlic cheese sauce recipe that a substitue thickener for cornstarch could be used. any suggestions for a good lower carb substitute?

Willy

Buttoni
Sun, Oct-02-11, 08:34
I'm not Tally, but some suggestions here. If you use heavy cream and simmer a couple minutes, it will reduce and thicken on its own a bit. If still not thick enough, I would lightly dust a bit of xanthan gum or guar gum onto the surface and stir until thick.