PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CarbMan
Thu, Jan-06-05, 13:39
I'm planning to do the South Beach Diet. I don't think it will be that hard, as my cafateria has a lot of options.

I also excersize a lot, lift weights, and play a lot of sports.

One thing I know is going to be a problem is beer. We usually drink a lot of beer on the weekends. I'm someone that likes to get drunk, it's not a deal with peer pressure or anything.

I think I could deal with just drinking one night a week. But I'm a big guy and have a big tolerance. As bad as it sounds, I drink to get drunk.

Anybody have any experience LCing and drinking beer. I guess I could do some liquor but I do love my beer and its a big part of what we do, as bad as that sounds.

Thanks!

LukeA
Thu, Jan-06-05, 13:52
There are low carb beers, but even they are quite high. Bingeing is something we are all trying to stop doing while lcing, and this includes alcohol.

A few drinks a week are fine, but drinking to get wasted all the time will only end up with a severely damaged liver, and possible addiction. I've went down that road myself, and it is not fun. ;)

Also after lcing for awhile most people also find their alcohol tolerance goes wayyyy down. Some who used to take a dozen to "feel it" can now get loopy on just a couple.

You are correct, that most hard liquors are either very very low in carbs, if not completely void of them, so they are a better choice. However remeber that your body will use the alcohol as fuel first, so it is a very common staller, even if you keep carbs very low.

(and sorry, I hope I don't sound preachy, it wasnt my intention)

sbd4me
Sat, Jan-08-05, 17:02
I was a pretty big beer drinker before I started the South Beach Diet but you just have to make the conscious decision to change your eating AND drinking habits. I just switched from beer to rum and cokes (diet coke that is!) and now I can look great and still have a great time at parties. By the way I am in college right now and have been on SBD since June and it is easy and it works! :)

Jenni03
Tue, Jan-18-05, 12:40
I am doing the Atinks but I share the love of beer like you & so does my boyfriend. We both drink Micelob Ultra (or if we have to Miller Lite). He lost 40+ lbs (going from 220 to 174) and I lost 30 (but quit the diet & put some back on). I drank two nights per week Fri & Sat. My boyfriend drank probably 3 or 4 nights per week. As long as you work out and stick to eating right, in our experiences, it has not affected our weightloss.

IvannaBFit
Sat, Jan-22-05, 03:54
If you give up the beer for a while, you may find that it takes less to get a buzz. I used to drink like a fish as a teenager (not something to brag about, I realise) but now at 24, since I hardly drink at all anymore, I don't need more than one beer to start feeling fuzzy...

Also, I lost weight just prior to my wedding a couple years ago, and although I did not drink a LOT I did drink during that time.

zorra_1
Sun, Feb-06-05, 22:15
I'm not really into beer, I prefer gin :agree: . I did notice feeling a little bit dizzy, which normally doesn't happen to me.