PDA

View Full Version : Lost Belly Fat?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Trob8272
Wed, Jan-05-05, 18:47
i know most people that have pcos gain most of thier weight in their stomach area. that most certainly is where i did and i was just wondering if the people that have had weight loss did anyone lose a significant amount in thier stomach area? And especially people who have had major weight loss? This is a major concern because i am 21 and have had a flat stomach all my life until this mess about 2 years ago and i always hear it is IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of without surgery!! Oh and if you did how did you do it? pcos, lc? i exercise daily luckily i am in between schools so i have a lot of time like 3 hours a day, i do not lc i eat about two bowls of cereal and sometimes a little dinner maybe. i know i should lc but i am taking in less than a 1,000 calories a day so for now i am fine with that. AGAIN, thanks guys, Tara

ninnin
Wed, Jan-05-05, 22:39
Tara

If you have bellyfat then you are most probably insulin resistant. Your body isn't able to use the energy you're feeding your body with all that cereal so guess what it's doing with it? Straight to the belly! If you low carb and reduce your insulin levels then after a few months it will start to burn fat from your tummy area and if you do it right now before your skin is overstretched then you might get back your flat tummy without surgery. You are young so the skin may go completely back but don't wait because skin starts to lose it's elasticity from the age of 18!

Why be scared of LC? It's delicious and you're never hungry. You could choose from the S.B. Diet or The Zone or Atkins, whichever suits you but, keep eating low cal and your legs will get skinnier and your belly will continue to grow. Sorry :(

Maddy
Thu, Jan-06-05, 01:11
If you lose weight you will loseit from your belly eventually but with us PCOSers it tends to come off everywhere else first.

Before I found low carb I did manage to lose a lot of weight with low fat and I lost my belly so it can happen - unfortunately because I hadn't found low carb I regained my weight trying to manage it by eating jacket potatoes and salad without any fat every day {sigh}

One of the things our bodies need to make healthy hormones is healthy fats (EFAs) from salmon, nuts, olive oil, flaxseed oil etc. so sometimes the low fat diet can actually cause more problems for us in the long run.

Trob8272
Thu, Jan-06-05, 12:36
THANKS GUYS SO MUCH. now i know there is hope. i am pretty sure that it will never be like it is because i have gained sooo much in my lower abdomen that it kinda sags now, but any bit will be good. and you know i am not afraid of low carb, its just that i guess i dont really know where to start with it, i guess i need to get a book, but then i dont know which diet. and i briefly started south beach before i was put on glucophage and it was okay but not something that i would want to incorporate into my lifestyle change. i was a pre-med biology major for three years so i do understand so much of the body and how it works, but at the same time it seems like everything i pick up has carbs and its so hard to ignore even though i know what it will do to my body. esp. my red bull which has like 28g of carbs and i cant live without it because i barely eat any food so i need energy. WHICH I KNOW IS A TERRIBLE WAY TO EAT EVERYDAY, i know i am working on it. so anyway guys thanks so much. any more posters and thier personal experiences would be great.

Maddy
Thu, Jan-06-05, 13:49
did you know that Red Bull contains 500mg taurine which is very good for weight loss and tons of B vitamins? Though sugar free would work better ;)

If you don't like to eat but you like liquid meals how about making up a pot of soup - you can add lots of fibrous veggies and healthy carbs like kidney beans. A really great one is to put two tins of tomatoes; one red onion; one aubergine; one red pepper; some chilli powder; garlic and a tin of kidney beans in a slow cooker - when it's all cooked through put it through the blender and add water until it has the consistency you desire. This has carbs in it but it's all healthy!!

Or you could make protein powder shakes? You can use protein powder; water and fruit adding flaxseed oil (great for PCOSers) and psyllium for extra fibre or use yoghurt; milk and fruit with your protein powder

There are lots of ways to get your energy on the run if you don't have time to sit down for meals. You can make up soups and casseroles and protein shakes in advance; stock them in the fridge - pick up and go

As for diets if you don't like low carbing why don't you try calorie counting? You can use a calorie controlled wholegrain diet to treat PCOS too

Good Luck

Ksrt
Fri, Jan-07-05, 10:49
Tara,

I think you are getting insulin resistant because you are starving your body! Two bowls of cereal and a little dinner (maybe) is not enough food of any kind. I think you should read the Schwarzbein Principle II book. It will teach you how to eat balanced meals that are lower carb but not too low carb. You need to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. In this book you will learn that dieting makes you fat. You are young enough to reverse this right now if you start eating again. Also read Dr. Vliet's book, It's Your Ovaries, Stupid and her other book, Women, weight, and hormones. You will not find these experts recommending a diet like Atkins which is too low carb. Good Luck.

KRST

Trob8272
Sun, Jan-09-05, 13:34
Thanks guys i really appreciate all of your advice. i guess i should have said before that its not that i am starving myself its that with this medicine i just cant stomach to eat much of anything and the only two things that dont make me want to throw up just from hearing are soup and cereal. i guess i made it sound like i am trying to starve myself, but i am not its just right now i cant eat much. but on some days if i do feel good i do eat normally, its just that that happens like 1 day a week. but thanks guys!!