PDA

View Full Version : First time poster would appreciate input>>

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

frayed
Mon, Jan-03-05, 09:18
Hey folks. I've been on low carbing since October; I've been fairly strict, except for my wine intake. At 36 years old and 5'9" I went from 197 to 180 today, with a goal weight in the 165-170 range.

I also used to be an avid weightlifter, years ago having gone from 132lbs to 165lbs with 12% body fat. My goal is to return to that type of fitness level, and to maintain it as long as I can as I age. A father of two, I want to feel strong, young, energetic as I move into my 40's and 50's to enjoy my children and be active with them.

Anyway, while still 15lbs over my goal weight, I thought that perhaps I should kill the low carb regimen and focus on more of a sugarbusters approach (low glycemic index carbs) or South Beach since I have diminished physical energy and strength while low carbing. However, I find those somewhat difficult to follow right now, but I find the low carb Atkins approach to be pretty easy to follow.

I have a book entitled The Ketogenic Diet, which I read 4 or 5 years ago. I dug it out last night and skimmed it, and my thought is that perhaps the cyclical approach with carb loading phases might be the way to go.

So, my question is this: is it possible to simultaneously lose 20 lbs of fat while putting on 5 lbs of muscle? Or better yet, 10 lbs of muscle?

As I read though weightlifting books and skim the sections on nutrition, most seem to imply that you cannot simultaneously lose fat and gain muscle. I'm curious whether my goal is realistic based on your personal experience, and if not, whether I should focus on reducing body fat for now, and put off weight training for another 3-4 months.

For weight training, I'm partial to the Hardgainer approach, heavy weights, multi joint excercises (squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press, pull downs).

Thanks all!

Ifly4food
Mon, Jan-03-05, 18:44
Hey Frayed, I lift about four times a week. My clothes feel more loose but the scale moves down slowly. I'm sure its because of the muscle gain. Before the holidays, I maxed out to see where I am strength wise. I was able to get 275lbs on the bench! I haven't done that in years. I'm not an expert, but I am sure fat and muscle are two different things. Losing one and gaining one or gaining one and losing the other.... we do know that the process is different respectively. I say go for tackle the fat and rebound the muscle at the same time, besides, time is gonna pass, just do it

frayed
Mon, Jan-03-05, 21:01
Thanks.

Well, I've been reading up on TKD. I think that's my path. I don't have a good feel for the results I should expect over the next 3 months, but I'm sure they have to be positive, even if not ideal.

Cheers.

jagbender
Tue, Jan-04-05, 10:26
I have for the last 13 months been losing fat and gaining muscle using the Cyclical ketogenic diets.
I have used Body Opus, TKD, NHE and Metabolic
I really enjoy Natural Hormonal Enhancement (NHE)
It is basically LC with two carb load meals a week.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=186661

Jag