PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm new here

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Helene
Wed, Oct-03-01, 22:09
:) ye Gods, have I had a journey to find some "local folk" to talk to - not that I'm all that convinced that I'll be able to fly this site, but here goes.....
I've been attempting to 'lowcarb' since July of this year and lost around 22lb - hey - I don't have to convert to old measure, do I? So- 10kg down,and I'm doing OK, feeling well, and very pleased with myself. Then 2 weeks ago, a couple of things changed - I got advice that I needed to be drinking ++water, which I started, and I went back to working night shift ( mostly sitting). The result is that I've slowly put back 2kg (damn), got depressed, lost focus, wasn't so careful. I can't really say which of those came first - it was kind of insidious.
So, like any sensible person would do, I went hunting for recipes for cheer-me-ups that wouldn't put me back to square one.
:( Oh I found lots of recipe sites - the problem is that I don't speak American, and I'm geographically challenged - I'm a long way from an American Supermarket. I go to my local and they say Soy Flour???????? Yes well.......
So, I've wrested possession of the computer from the kids (I have 3 almost-adults, all living at home) and gosearching once again - and the rest, they say is history....
I would welcome a little support and information, a little sharing of ups and downs...can I join up??
:rose: ....Helene

Karen
Wed, Oct-03-01, 22:23
You've already joined Helene! There are quite a few of you from "down under" here.

As for food and recipes, the best way to LC is by using fresh food - vegetables and protein. Substitutes for high carb foods are not necessary and may even work against you. Some people can get away with it, but many can not. If you choose to go this route, natural food stores will carry all of the more unusual ingredients, but they do not carry artificial sweeteners except for Stevia.

Weight fluctuations are normal even with religiously following a good LC program to the letter. Weight loss is never steady. It comes in fits and starts. Of course weight fluctuations will be normal when you don't follow a program religiously. ;)

So, point, click and check out all the features this board has to offer. Keep reading and posting too!

Karen

Helene
Wed, Oct-03-01, 22:43
:wave: Hi thanks for the help
I have actually surprised myself - have not had any major craving for chocolate, sweets etc - but I do miss bread, pizza, toast and marmalade for breakfast - and especially fruit. I restrained myself and had 3 (and only 3) grapes today.
I grew up on the Gold Coast :cool: and lived on fruit, which was accepted as the absolute best way to eat - so I am having to retrain myself to see fruit as undesirable.
I realise that there is no alternate substitute for fruit, but from the literature, I should be able to indulge a little bread substitute....... occaisionally??

lesleyc
Mon, Oct-08-01, 19:38
Hi Helene

I'm from Wellington, where abouts are you?

I'm really enjoying this WOE so far, but I know what you mean NZ is a low carb products free zone!

I've decided to keep away form the substitute type stuff such as alternate breads and sweets etc, some wise owls on this site have indicated those things can re-activate old carb addiction habits. The theory is eventually we don't miss them :D

... I'm almost starting to believe it ;)

Keep us posted on how you get on

Lesley

patchesnz
Fri, Jul-16-04, 05:21
hi :wave: i am also new to this about week four now